Proteus PC

5.6

1. Jun 22, 2015
    Proteus a very nice game , which could expand peace in everyone REALLY ! it show how the season changes in the world ,form the very sunny island to an cold and hard place.
  2. Mar 8, 2014
    After the first 10 or 20 minutes of frustration, i feel strangely relaxing, and decided to just enjoy it. And then i found me discovering little things like interactions with sounds through environments, that leads me to finally understand the different and curious gameplay.

I wanted to tell you about it, but you have to experience for yourself. I found me smiling for nothing not rarely, with a mixed up feeling of excitement and joy. And it have a meaning - very simple and easy to guess - that you may discover till the end. I'll certainly replay it.

Not recommended for those who don't like to experience new things, or those who like gameplay, controls and interactions complexity.
  3. Feb 17, 2014
    I bought Proteus at a very stressful point in my life and it was exactly what I needed. Just being able to spend time in this amazing world was enough to help me relax and feel prepared for the next day. Everything about the world feels alive and invites you in. The music responds to your current position, the animals and plants react to your presence and at night lead you onward to theI bought Proteus at a very stressful point in my life and it was exactly what I needed. Just being able to spend time in this amazing world was enough to help me relax and feel prepared for the next day. Everything about the world feels alive and invites you in. The music responds to your current position, the animals and plants react to your presence and at night lead you onward to the next part of the experience.

I must have played Proteus all the way through at least five times at this point and I still keep finding new things every time I sit down to play it.

I believe that, ultimately, your experience of the game will depend on what you want out of it. I had a real need for something like this when I came across it, I loved sitting up on the mountainside, watching the mist roll down the sides and the sun set in a beautiful red off in the distance. But if you feel bored or hyperactive, I wouldn't recommend this particular title to you.
  4. Feb 16, 2014
    I'm going to be very blunt about this: there is very little to this game. This may sound odd to hear as my review is a 10, but I'll explain something as short as I can.

This game is meant for people who like wandering around in Minecraft, who like listening to music and observing. If you bough Minecraft purely for building things and don't ever even think of wandering for a few minutes you are wasting your time with this game.

So, this combined with the fact that there is little to the game means that you can go on YouTube and watch about 5 minutes of gameplay. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do like it, buy it. And if you aren't sure, watch it more and maybe even buy it. It's only 10 bucks (though people will try to make it seem like that 10 dollars is way too much, but they often are 10-year-olds that have barely any understanding of money).

And, this IS a game. No matter what people say. Just because there are no goals does not make this not a game. Garrys Mod is a game and doesn't have any goals, objectives, or anything like that and I don't see anyone saying that it's not a game. And every video game is an "interactive experience." So, there is my 2 cents on that subject.
  5. Jan 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game reminds me of the PS3 game Journey in that it seems to have no purpose until you get further in the game and eventually finish it. This is definitely an "art" genre game, less about goal directed activity and more about the experience, and if you are so inclined, philosophy of life. That said, there is a "goal" to each season leading to a definite end to the game. After having completed the game, I'm still not sure exactly how I reached the goal each time which bugs the side of me that likes strategy. There are several memorable, scary, and beautiful moments in the game. The detailed interplay of sound with visual is really the highlight of the game in my opinion. I'm not sure that I would buy this game at full price mainly because it doesn't have a whole lot of replay value (for me at least) and it is a very short game (I finished in under an hour). I'd say this will appeal to a very specific crowd and is worth getting while on sale. Expand
  6. Dec 28, 2013
    Wow, just wow. Amazing game, really unique experience that proves that video games can be art. Please ignore the bad reviews clearly the game doesn't have enough blood n guts for the average gamer. For those with better taste, please give this game a go.
  7. Nov 13, 2013
    One of the best experiences I've been given by gaming. Incredibly atmospheric and immersive, the game's minimal mechanics help emphasis the real beauty to this game. Anyone who says this isn't a game is an elitist snob who uses the words "Hardcore gamers" completely un-ironically.
  8. Aug 2, 2013
    Oto następna po Dead Esther, gra z serii "Gry to również sztuka". Dla normalnego gracza tytuł który powinno się omijać, dla osób które chcą upewnić się że gry to nie tylko zabijanie, gra może nie jest obowiązkowa, ale warto zobaczyć czym to się je. Ciekawy pixelowy motyw graficzny, przyjemne udźwiękowienie które świetnie łączy się z tym co dzieje się na ekranie, oraz fajnie pokazanieOto następna po Dead Esther, gra z serii "Gry to również sztuka". Dla normalnego gracza tytuł który powinno się omijać, dla osób które chcą upewnić się że gry to nie tylko zabijanie, gra może nie jest obowiązkowa, ale warto zobaczyć czym to się je. Ciekawy pixelowy motyw graficzny, przyjemne udźwiękowienie które świetnie łączy się z tym co dzieje się na ekranie, oraz fajnie pokazanie każdej pory roku. Grę uruchamia się tylko na jakieś 20 minut, jednak po tych 20 będziemy całkowicie odstresowani. Moja ocena 8/10 Expand
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    Pretty and relaxing. Don't expect a great game or a hard game or an exciting game, expect a nice little relaxer. Good to play before going to sleep. There are actually a fair few secrets and puzzles to this game, so if you want to play it game-y, that's something you can do, too.
  10. May 28, 2013
    Don't listen to the haters, Proteus is amazing as long as you aren't expecting anything that it isn't. Proteus is an exploration game, and the fun is in wandering among the beautiful world. That's it. One of the most relaxing games I've ever played, and I find myself craving it. Chill out, wander around, enjoy the pixelly beauty. No more, no less.
  11. May 20, 2013
    this game is one of the most beautiful games i've ever played, and it really shows what can be done with gaming as an art form. The 'game' is an experience where you are put into a zen state of mind, you want to explore the island and see everything. play it with headphones alone, and you will come out with a new experience under your belt. to those who reviewed this negatively, honestlythis game is one of the most beautiful games i've ever played, and it really shows what can be done with gaming as an art form. The 'game' is an experience where you are put into a zen state of mind, you want to explore the island and see everything. play it with headphones alone, and you will come out with a new experience under your belt. to those who reviewed this negatively, honestly what were you expecting? this is no COD, just a breath of fresh air. Expand
  12. May 17, 2013
    The biggest issue when rating Proteus is the idea that it truly does push the idea of what a game can be. Sure, there are no achievements or levels to gain, but what the game does have is a world that changes with you and a soundtrack that changes with the game. Many of the lower reviews seem to argue that it's not really a game, more just interactive art. And I argue that they are bothThe biggest issue when rating Proteus is the idea that it truly does push the idea of what a game can be. Sure, there are no achievements or levels to gain, but what the game does have is a world that changes with you and a soundtrack that changes with the game. Many of the lower reviews seem to argue that it's not really a game, more just interactive art. And I argue that they are both one in the same, Proteus just exploits this to a different end.

If you're a fan of exploration, and are also ok with a game that has very little as far as challenge goes, then i would recommend Proteus heartily. If you need a game to be a little bit more fast paced, then there are plenty more to appeal to your liking.
  13. Apr 22, 2013
    This game is actually pretty intriguing. The goal is to immerse yourself really, put your feet up, relax take it in, and the world will introduce curious things to you that will suprise you. I haven't had the same experience twice, and when it comes to a long stessful day, this is the perfect way to unwind. I absolutely love this game, and its truly special and unique
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    This is certainly an interesting game. It's very serine and immersing in its simplicity. The music is great, and the world dances to it. Although there is no real objective, there are plenty of things to discover as you walk. The concept is very good, and I like it a lot. It really pulls you in I didn't want to stop playing.

World generation, although the elements are limited, is quite

World generation, although the elements are limited, is quite good. All the islands I played on seemed very different in an unexpected and sometimes startling way.

Overall, I can only see myself playing a few hours. As good as it is, you can't roam in a pixelated world forever. However, you will certainly enjoy the time you spend.
  15. Mar 22, 2013
    Love it or hate it, Proteus is a unique game. Despite its retro-graphics, I rank it as one of the most beautiful games I've played in terms of artistic merit. It deserve damn sight more than 80 when crap like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, and BLOPS routinely earn. If you approach it with an open mind and judge it on its own merits you won't be disappointed.
    10/10.
  16. Feb 8, 2013
    Proteus is a game which invokes emotion, and creativity within us. You may be content with listening to the music at the start screen, or exploring an island of your own, which contains forest, snow-capped mountains, and beauty in every corner. As you explore, you might come upon some playful animals to chase through the woods, or a path leading to something new and amazing. The music ofProteus is a game which invokes emotion, and creativity within us. You may be content with listening to the music at the start screen, or exploring an island of your own, which contains forest, snow-capped mountains, and beauty in every corner. As you explore, you might come upon some playful animals to chase through the woods, or a path leading to something new and amazing. The music of the game alters and changes as you go through different places, and as several events occur. If your eyes are feeling heavy, take a brief rest, and find yourself on an entirely different, enchanted isle. Proteus truly is an amazing thing. Expand
  17. Feb 4, 2013
    It looks like the people posting the terrible reviews didn't manage to figure out how to progress in the game. That is not the game's fault, but the user's fault, and in my eyes is the equivalent of someone calling a book terrible, because they can't figure out how to open the cover and get to the pages.

If you require your hand constantly held through your games, and big flashing

If you require your hand constantly held through your games, and big flashing arrows pointing which way to go and what to do next, this game isn't for you. If you like an atmospheric, charming, exploration game that will provide you with an amazing experience, give it a try! I found it a very satisfying and relaxing experience, and on my second play through noticed things I hadn't previously, and was greeted with a new landscape to explore.

I highly recommend this "relax-em up" (not sure what else to call it!) to anyone who wants a new experience and wants to get lost in an interesting world.
  18. Jan 31, 2013
    This is a really original exploration game. Just wander around and look at the (oddly beautiful) pixelated sights and listen to the absolutely fantastic music...the music is the main component of the game as everything you look at it and "interact" with will change the score and add sounds dynamically. It's very peaceful and really satisfying. Just when you think "ok I've had enough" andThis is a really original exploration game. Just wander around and look at the (oddly beautiful) pixelated sights and listen to the absolutely fantastic music...the music is the main component of the game as everything you look at it and "interact" with will change the score and add sounds dynamically. It's very peaceful and really satisfying. Just when you think "ok I've had enough" and are about to quit, you see something that keeps you in for a while longer. Anyone who is into ambient music NEEDS to give Proteus a proper go. Expand
  19. Jan 30, 2013
    First off; Proteus is a fine game. It has no enemies, no save points, no skills, no weapons, no levels, and no way to die. What it DOES have is a fantastic environment that, even though pixelated, is quite beautiful, A dynamic soundtrack which changes depending on what you are interacting with at the time, and a sense of wonderment, mystery, and exploration. If you are looking for aFirst off; Proteus is a fine game. It has no enemies, no save points, no skills, no weapons, no levels, and no way to die. What it DOES have is a fantastic environment that, even though pixelated, is quite beautiful, A dynamic soundtrack which changes depending on what you are interacting with at the time, and a sense of wonderment, mystery, and exploration. If you are looking for a violent shoot 'em up or a viscous hack n' slash, this game is not for you. If you are looking for a dynamic, ever-changing environment where you can go to explore, chase frogs, and relax, this is a must have. To me Proteus isn't so much a game as it is my happy place. Expand

1. Nov 22, 2013
    Proteus is without a doubt not for everyone, because playing in the traditional sense of the word doesn't really happen. It does, however, deliver an enchanting experience through the harmony of images and sounds, which leaves enough room for your own imagination.
  2. Games Master UK
    Apr 13, 2013
    Proteus's ever-changing island is a joy to walk through, listen to and explore. [May 2013, p.84]
  3. Apr 9, 2013
    An independent experiment that has managed to free from the established genres, and out of its graphical and sound simplicity it has formed the experiences you cannot escape from.