5.6

1. Dec 28, 2013
    Wow, just wow. Amazing game, really unique experience that proves that video games can be art. Please ignore the bad reviews clearly the game doesn't have enough blood n guts for the average gamer. For those with better taste, please give this game a go.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Firstly, it must be said that Proteus is perhaps best thought of as an introspective experience, or even a work of art, rather than game. Anyone who is searching for a game in the traditional sense should probably stop reading my review and continue your search elsewhere. You have been warned.

With that out of the way, I will summarise by saying I thoroughly enjoyed and recommend the experience that is Proteus. If you're still reading this, then you will probably enjoy Proteus as well. I would advise you start only if you are in the right mood. Keep yourself open to emotional response; treat the experience as a work of art and find out what it means to you. Be aware that the Proteus will require you to explore on your own impetus, providing little direction. Avoid searching for play throughs on YouTube. To do that would completely defeat the purpose of the exercise.

I decided that the best time for me to play Proteus was at night, with the lights off, in a quiet, relaxed and focused environment free of interruptions. Turn up the sound. Play the whole thing from start to finish and give yourself about an hour, because that's approximately how long a play through will take. if you open yourself up to the experience you will most likely be rewarded as I was.
  3. May 20, 2013
    this game is one of the most beautiful games i've ever played, and it really shows what can be done with gaming as an art form. The 'game' is an experience where you are put into a zen state of mind, you want to explore the island and see everything. play it with headphones alone, and you will come out with a new experience under your belt. to those who reviewed this negatively, honestlythis game is one of the most beautiful games i've ever played, and it really shows what can be done with gaming as an art form. The 'game' is an experience where you are put into a zen state of mind, you want to explore the island and see everything. play it with headphones alone, and you will come out with a new experience under your belt. to those who reviewed this negatively, honestly what were you expecting? this is no COD, just a breath of fresh air. Expand
  4. Feb 4, 2013
    It looks like the people posting the terrible reviews didn't manage to figure out how to progress in the game. That is not the game's fault, but the user's fault, and in my eyes is the equivalent of someone calling a book terrible, because they can't figure out how to open the cover and get to the pages.

If you require your hand constantly held through your games, and big flashing

If you require your hand constantly held through your games, and big flashing arrows pointing which way to go and what to do next, this game isn't for you. If you like an atmospheric, charming, exploration game that will provide you with an amazing experience, give it a try! I found it a very satisfying and relaxing experience, and on my second play through noticed things I hadn't previously, and was greeted with a new landscape to explore.

I highly recommend this "relax-em up" (not sure what else to call it!) to anyone who wants a new experience and wants to get lost in an interesting world.
  5. Nov 13, 2013
    One of the best experiences I've been given by gaming. Incredibly atmospheric and immersive, the game's minimal mechanics help emphasis the real beauty to this game. Anyone who says this isn't a game is an elitist snob who uses the words "Hardcore gamers" completely un-ironically.
  6. Feb 17, 2014
    I bought Proteus at a very stressful point in my life and it was exactly what I needed. Just being able to spend time in this amazing world was enough to help me relax and feel prepared for the next day. Everything about the world feels alive and invites you in. The music responds to your current position, the animals and plants react to your presence and at night lead you onward to theI bought Proteus at a very stressful point in my life and it was exactly what I needed. Just being able to spend time in this amazing world was enough to help me relax and feel prepared for the next day. Everything about the world feels alive and invites you in. The music responds to your current position, the animals and plants react to your presence and at night lead you onward to the next part of the experience.

I must have played Proteus all the way through at least five times at this point and I still keep finding new things every time I sit down to play it.

I believe that, ultimately, your experience of the game will depend on what you want out of it. I had a real need for something like this when I came across it, I loved sitting up on the mountainside, watching the mist roll down the sides and the sun set in a beautiful red off in the distance. But if you feel bored or hyperactive, I wouldn't recommend this particular title to you.
  7. Feb 8, 2013
    Proteus is a game which invokes emotion, and creativity within us. You may be content with listening to the music at the start screen, or exploring an island of your own, which contains forest, snow-capped mountains, and beauty in every corner. As you explore, you might come upon some playful animals to chase through the woods, or a path leading to something new and amazing. The music ofProteus is a game which invokes emotion, and creativity within us. You may be content with listening to the music at the start screen, or exploring an island of your own, which contains forest, snow-capped mountains, and beauty in every corner. As you explore, you might come upon some playful animals to chase through the woods, or a path leading to something new and amazing. The music of the game alters and changes as you go through different places, and as several events occur. If your eyes are feeling heavy, take a brief rest, and find yourself on an entirely different, enchanted isle. Proteus truly is an amazing thing. Expand
  8. Mar 22, 2013
    Love it or hate it, Proteus is a unique game. Despite its retro-graphics, I rank it as one of the most beautiful games I've played in terms of artistic merit. It deserve damn sight more than 80 when crap like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, and BLOPS routinely earn. If you approach it with an open mind and judge it on its own merits you won't be disappointed.
    10/10.
  9. Apr 22, 2013
    This game is actually pretty intriguing. The goal is to immerse yourself really, put your feet up, relax take it in, and the world will introduce curious things to you that will suprise you. I haven't had the same experience twice, and when it comes to a long stessful day, this is the perfect way to unwind. I absolutely love this game, and its truly special and unique
  10. May 17, 2013
    The biggest issue when rating Proteus is the idea that it truly does push the idea of what a game can be. Sure, there are no achievements or levels to gain, but what the game does have is a world that changes with you and a soundtrack that changes with the game. Many of the lower reviews seem to argue that it's not really a game, more just interactive art. And I argue that they are bothThe biggest issue when rating Proteus is the idea that it truly does push the idea of what a game can be. Sure, there are no achievements or levels to gain, but what the game does have is a world that changes with you and a soundtrack that changes with the game. Many of the lower reviews seem to argue that it's not really a game, more just interactive art. And I argue that they are both one in the same, Proteus just exploits this to a different end.

If you're a fan of exploration, and are also ok with a game that has very little as far as challenge goes, then i would recommend Proteus heartily. If you need a game to be a little bit more fast paced, then there are plenty more to appeal to your liking.
  11. Feb 16, 2014
    I'm going to be very blunt about this: there is very little to this game. This may sound odd to hear as my review is a 10, but I'll explain something as short as I can.

This game is meant for people who like wandering around in Minecraft, who like listening to music and observing. If you bough Minecraft purely for building things and don't ever even think of wandering for a few minutes you are wasting your time with this game.

So, this combined with the fact that there is little to the game means that you can go on YouTube and watch about 5 minutes of gameplay. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do like it, buy it. And if you aren't sure, watch it more and maybe even buy it. It's only 10 bucks (though people will try to make it seem like that 10 dollars is way too much, but they often are 10-year-olds that have barely any understanding of money).

And, this IS a game. No matter what people say. Just because there are no goals does not make this not a game. Garrys Mod is a game and doesn't have any goals, objectives, or anything like that and I don't see anyone saying that it's not a game. And every video game is an "interactive experience." So, there is my 2 cents on that subject.

1. Nov 22, 2013
    Proteus is without a doubt not for everyone, because playing in the traditional sense of the word doesn't really happen. It does, however, deliver an enchanting experience through the harmony of images and sounds, which leaves enough room for your own imagination.
  2. Apr 13, 2013
    Proteus's ever-changing island is a joy to walk through, listen to and explore. [May 2013, p.84]
  3. Apr 9, 2013
    An independent experiment that has managed to free from the established genres, and out of its graphical and sound simplicity it has formed the experiences you cannot escape from.