6.3

1. Mar 11, 2013
    Prototype 2 is one of those braindead games that will just have you destroy stuff while being overpowered and nearly invincible. The only fun I had was jumping from rooftop to rooftop, but they made this game so dull and uninterresting and the main character just so overpowered that he'll leave the Hulk crying in a small dark corner.
  2. Nov 25, 2012
    Let's start by saying that Prototype 1 is one of my all time favorites and Prototype 2 one of my all time worst sequels. I play PC games and clearly this is a bad console conversion. Apart from various crashes, the game has an awful frame rate which makes it completely unplayable. I don't have a ninja PC, but I could play every other game I tried. For me it is simply a matter of bad game design.
  3. Jul 30, 2012
    The story of the game is excellent and the characters are greatly written. However if you level up too fast, like I did, the gameplay can become very bland before you reach the third island (red zone). I didn't do this on purpose, I just thought I need the extra power and did all side missions before the main missions. The dialogues between Blackwatch and Heller are extremely amusing some times, this helps not getting to worked up about the mediocre AI. You can even turn your enemies into living bombs, but they wont get alarmed if you do that in disguise (poke a sting in the back of the neck of an enemy). Most of your actions won't cause any counteraction by your enemies. Hell, even the pedestrians are smarter: They get distressed and panic when you act strange. Took the time to do side and main missions and finished just after about 12 hours with 95%. That's a good bang for your bucks if you can get it cheap. Once you're finished there's freeroam mode wich gets boring real fast. The activities and side missions can be replayed, but they are less fun that the core game. Almost every important character is an infected (called evolved) which is annoying after a while. The consolized controls and low-res textures however ruin everything. Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2013
    Another definition of mediocrity. It's yet another poorly done console port with bad graphics (especially textures) and abysmal performance on PC. The gameplay is as mediocre as it can go. Button masher that is poorly executed with no feeling of impact or momentum, backed by more shallow, forced RPG elements that are linear and bland character upgrades. Run up walls, jump 15 meters, glide through the air, rip tanks apart with your hands, thanks YET ****ING AGAIN TO A MAGICAL VIRUS! Story is just uninteresting, mainly due to the poor writing, as it consists purely of cliches and a common profanity after every 3 words. This silly game feels unfinished and was entertaining for about an hour. Expand
  5. Aug 3, 2012
    I was so excited to play Prototype 2, but I just can't play it because of how much of a horrible **** console port it is.
    The PC controls are horrible. But the worst of all is that it doesn't matter if I run the game on highest settings or lowest settings the game will always run on ~30 FPS with many huge lag spikes when I glide around the city, why is that? My Computer can handle the
    game just fine, why Activision WHY WHY WHY??!?!?! Collapse
  6. Nov 5, 2012
    New character? Checked! New powers? Checked! Same old boring story? Checked! Same gameplay? Checked! Add some new characters? Checked! Tentacles? Checked!
  7. Nov 16, 2012
    This is a terrible game, with plenty of technical that renders it unplayable. Although I have a PC capable of running all current games at maximum settings at over 60fps, this game runs with lots of stuttering and several performance drops, that turn the game into a mess.
    The level of incompetence to make such a bad conversion to PC of a console game is just astonishing.
    A game to avoid.
  8. Oct 29, 2012
    The story is an insult to everyone who actually enjoyed the plot in the first game. The fact that you need to read a comic that bridges the gap between the two games to understand why Alex acts the way he does now is ridiculous (and what's worse: the comic is quite bad). The camera is extremely unresponsive (and it's even worse in the indoors sections). Gameplay improved since the first installment (which I enjoyed a lot more though) but it could have been a lot better, it's like they were afraid to add more animations or give you more than 5 powers. A game like this driving me away because of its plot is new for me. Expand
  9. Oct 29, 2012
    WARNING! SERIOUS! Do not get this game. I installed it, every time I loaded it crashed my pc. I tried turning threading optimization on, only have 1 or 2 cores on. Finally I got a blue screen of death and said "Ah hell no!" Uninstalled the game for good. No game developer should release this crap. Anything with this many problems and this severe problems is NOT acceptable. I'm not some bot trying to stop you from buying this. I am a concerned gamer. Look me up on steam if you have to Twitch375 Is my tag. If there was a negative score, I would give it one. Please take heed. Expand
  10. Aug 17, 2012
    I'm a BIG fan of the frist Prototype game. But this secound game is just horrible. And here is a few reasons.
    1. Heller (the main new character) is one of the most overdone and stereotyped black man in video games. 2. Ruined the story of Prototype 1- no conspiracy-ex- Pariah, Greene, etc. 3. HEY KILLED OFF MERCER FOR NO REASON.
  11. Jul 30, 2012
    In short, if you liked the first one, avoid this hacked together, amateur mess.
    Even if we are kind and ignore the plague of technical issues that this game shipped with (I only experienced the mouse issue and enabling vsync fixed it for me) this is still a terrible game.
    The graphics are simply dire: no shadows, no reflections, muddy textures and extremely low detail all throughout - it
    loks like a DX8 game. Running this at max details I get a very high frame rate (though it constantly bombs up and down for no reason) and it looks like a game from 10 years ago. It is a flat, boring, featureless world.
    The controls are vague and fairly unresponsive and generally you never really feel as though you are in control of the (utterly hateful and idiotic) protagonist. He is happy to bomb around, doing as he pleases, attacking what he wants, jumping where he fancies and generally ignoring the hell out of you while you miss target after target, normally as arbitrary and pointless countdowns expire meaning you fail the mission.
    The one thing I could have noted as a good point for this game is the ability to save whenever you like, rather than the usual console auto-save nonsense, but even that is broken. Saving produces a pointless replica of the previous auto-save, utterly ignoring anything you did since.
    Even if all the technical issues are fixed, the graphics will remain far below par (even for an xbox game), the port will remain horrible and utterly bereft of care and attention and the story line will be pallid and uninteresting. Do yourself a favour and install the first game - you'll be a lot happier.
  12. Dec 28, 2012
    Though they increased the visuals and control, it feels as though they have taken a step backwards with not only the story but the overall interest that made the original popular. The protagonist is in no way of the same caliber as Alex Mercer in Prototype 1 and you tend to get tired of his "man-pain" very quickly. If story and continuity are not something you think contribute to the overall greatness of a game, then you will probably love this game - but if you want more than just GTA on steroids ... look elsewhere. Expand
  13. Feb 13, 2013
    Having never played Prototype, I thought this would be a good game to try out, given how it is a relatively new release, so it can't really be that bad. Turns out, it was that bad. Frame rate stutters often at the most random intervals when the graphics is turned on high, and even when the setting is high, the game still looks like something out of 2005. The buildings looks as if they were copy and paste, and the whole city feels artificial, lacking in any kind of feeling or personality. This, unfortunately, complements the artificial story. Even in the beginning of the game, the player is left wondering how Heller was able to completely overcome his hatred of Mercer so quickly.
    On top of this, the gameplay sucks pretty bad as well. Why is it that while sprinting, a shockwave pulses out from your character, and it is completely ignored by the patroling soldiers. And why allow people to pick up the plentiful guns if the game lacks any kind of free-aiming? Plus, how is your character able to jump into the air and flying jump kick a helicopter 50 meters away? Things like this make the game feel as if it is some low budget knockoff of some generic superhero story. Disliked it.
  14. Jul 30, 2013
    I love Prototype and Prototype 2 but this game suffers from tremendous Lag, i really wanted to see this game so i turned off everything that would make it look good and still got Huge lag so Long story short i really don't see much of a fix for this game at all.
  15. Jul 24, 2012
    This game is actually unplayable on my computer. The game suffers numerous crashes, has hard locked my system, and feels like Activision has just pushed out a straight console port.

Today steam unlocked Prototype 2 and having pre-loaded it I quickly launched it on my default computer. An Intel Core I7-3770, dual ATI 6990's, and 8GB of ram on a 64-bit Windows 7 system. The game would not
    start with all 4 graphics cards enabled (the 6990 is a dual-gpu card). As such I had to disable down to one card. I game on three 30" HP LP3065 monitors each running a resolution of 2560x1600. Prototype 2 does not even SUPPORT 2560x1600 and as such I'm forced to run at a non-native resolution of 1920x1200. With the single ati 6990 (the others are disabled using Radeon Pro) the game stutters and chugs. All of the "in engine" cut scenes are unwatchable due to the fact I'm getting 3 to 5 FPS according to the built in Radeon Pro fps counter. In play, the game behaves better but if I attempt to turn a quick 180 the game will either crash or it will lockup for a few moments and then continue on normally. While the 6990 isn't bleeding edge anymore its the equivalent of an ATI 6970 and shouldn't have these kinds of problems. From the 65 minutes that I've played Prototype 2 feels identical to Prototype. I honestly wish I could give a more in depth review but at this point I can't even play the game. I know, this might read as a rant but if you're running a crossfire configuration, a 2560x1600 resolution, or didn't care for the first Prototype I would recommend avoiding this game. Expand
  16. Jul 31, 2012
    This game is absolutely awfull. I have a I5-2500k running at 4.5Ghz, twin HD6970, and 16gb of ram, and a 240gb ssd, yet that game laaaag all the time. It dosent even support multi-screen or resolution over 1080p. Control is absolutely failed, the mouse feel like a joystick emulation. Many visual glitches, flickering textures and the like. Visuals are outdates, with shapes made of not enought polygons "squarish".

Typical Activision pc port... Save your $$$ for a better game.
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    Prototype 2 takes the great potential of the previous bio-weapon setting and unfortunately does nothing new with it. The new protagonist falls flat, and the missions quickly grow as repetitive as in the first. Although some attempt has been made to inject more flavour to the missions to make them feel slightly more varied and more linked to the overarching story, they still feel like hollow padding for additional stats. I would see this game as a typical high-budget romp, only the technical issues from the first remain. Many confuse these technical issues as a mere matter of PC strength, yet for reference my system is quite stable and capable of running Crysis 2 and Skyrim on high settings at a solid framerate. No, these technical issues run deeper. For many, the game generates gradually worsening performance lag akin to a memory leak, just as the first game did. The longer the play session, the more severe the performance is hit. Others have to search for fixes just to open the game or to enable sound. Once again, the developer has shown complete disinterest for those in the 'dead spot' between fixes, either unable or unwilling to ensure full compatibility for their port. Some of the official fixes being listed as "disconnect your keyboard and mouse for the duration of your play-session" or "manually overclock your graphics card to factory default settings". It is worth noting that the port of the original Prototype game had similar issues, that were mostly resolved by deleting a sound pack of ambient sounds of all things. After struggling against the issues until halfway into the game, I found an unusual work-around in simply alt-tabbing out for a moment or two, which seemed to calm the progressive lag. No, it wasn't a heat issue on either my CPU or my GPU, I checked. Then finally, when I pushed through to the ending, I was faced with a blank screen. The game decided to feed me the ending as audio-only. At this point I was no longer phased. I almost expected it.

The game content itself is squandered potential, but provides a mediocre 'high budget' affair minus the fine polish. Chock full of typical annoying boss-fights, in-plain-view 'stealth' moments, character tropes and stat chasing. The novelty wears off fast. Purchasing this game is a giant gamble on simply being able to play, and that alone is a sad statement for PC gaming, when the number of discontented customers is so easily swept under the carpet. Your customer base is not a disposable team of bugfixers, youtube is not a valid way of showing the ending, and telling people to butcher their settings isn't really a 'fix' to your product, y'know? Score heavily influenced by technical issues, though had there been none, I feel it would have only earned something in the region of a 6.
  18. Jul 25, 2012
    Where to begin.. horrible port. Different controllers on the PC require different in-game response. The camera is too floaty, not always responsive, and usually very choppy due to being tied to FPS. Textures are very often just blobs of blurry color mixed together. At least one main story mission is broken for a lot of people, stopping any progression at all. Way, way, WAY too many "challenges" for the kiddies to stroke their e-peens on. Seems like most of the game IS challenges now, with very little story, and nothing to do on the side except try for gold medals and the best time among your friends. I loved Prototype I and expected far more from the sequel at the price they charged. Unfortunately it fails on almost every level with a dull thud. Wait for more PC reviews and/or gameplay videos on YouTube before buying this disaster, or just pick it up when it is on sale. Note to Activision and the now-defunct development team: PC gamers expect more than e-peen stroking and bland gameplay ported from a console. Expand
  19. Dux
    Jul 22, 2014
    After having played and completed the first Prototype twice, I forgot about this type of game for a while. I liked the game, but two times was enough for me. After a while, Prototype 2 came out, and I suddenly remembered how much fun it was to plow through crowds of standard sods and military personnel alike. Needless to say, I was very excited. But also very broke. So I put off playing this game. Not too long ago, however, this game appeared on the Steam Summer Sale for 5 euros. I bought it without a second's hesitation. I was very excited.

So now for the fun part: it didn't work. The game would start up, show me the first developer logo, and then freeze, so that I had to manually kill the process. I've googled the problem, still optimistic, hoping for a quick and easy solution. What I found instead was a literal tome of complaints, bugs, glitches, issues and other nasty stuff. I dug and dug the google search results for days on end, and didn't find any solution to my problem. At this point in time, mind you, the game was already out for more than a year.

After a week or so, I managed to find a solution, and even posted it on Steam forums, in case it could help someone. But then I stumbled upon another set of problems: abhorrent lag and graphical issues. Those two were easier to fix, but at a great cost. I had no other choice than to use a third party program to cap my game at 30 FPS (!), while on my machine, it should be running at atleast 100. Also, I had to restart it every hour or so, so the lag wouldn't come back.

Apparently, the issue was my graphics card. The devs were very kind to nVidia users, optimizing their game to those cards. If you have an ATI though, you are truly, for lack of a better word, **** This port is HORRIBLE. It has absolutely zero redeeming qualities. Textures are rendered at half resolution, the options menu is lackluster to say the least, the framerate skips and jumps on ATI's, and is locked to 30 from what I read on nVidia's. All in all, absolutely revolting port.

But, me being a fan of the first game, I managed to live with all the problems, and found the game itself quite good. The gameplay is fun, the story is not half bad, and there are a few new additions to the gameplay. Overall, it's an improvement on the first game.

So, long story short. If you own an ATI card, don't buy it. If you want it to look and run well on the PC, don't buy it. If you don't want a headache from having to deal with all the problems, don't buy it. If you don't care, are willing to persevere just to play it at mediocre settings and graphical fidelity, give it a try. The game is good, the port is **** terrible.
  20. dgn
    Aug 4, 2012
    It's so boring. Same missions again and again from start to end. Also there's no difference from first game. Actually I can say that this game is kinda a mod of first game. Anyway both of them are so boring.
  21. Jul 31, 2012
    This game had so much potential. It seemed like Activision just wanted to get their quick fix for money with the PC version here. Even with my i7 920 4 core 2.66 GHz processor , my GTX 560ti x2 and 8GB RAM, the game runs at about 20 fps on the very lowest possible settings. It also does not support 1080p so if you are using a 1080p resolution you will get around 5-8 fps. (This is with my current hardware). The story is fantastic so that's what I give it a 1 for, the open world is ruined by the laggy world, and constant crashes that make you redo everything all over again. Do not waste your money on this, it is not worth it. Expand
  22. Nov 21, 2013
    this game is all about sucking money out of you.it took me 4 hours of play time then told me if you want to continue you have to go online and pay $4.99 for the next board. don't buy this game it will not make you happy. the game makers are greedy
  23. Aug 3, 2012
    game just fine, why Activision WHY WHY WHY??!?!?! Collapse

Prototype 2 lets you feel like a hungry predator among defenseless chickens and it feels great. Only pity is you hit the same hennery over and over again. [Sept 2012]
  2. Sep 7, 2012
    It could have been great, but this gruesome and ridiculous power fantasy is spoilt by a disgracefully shabby port to PC.
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    Prototype 2 (the swan song of Radical Entertainment) is a decent open-world action game, that does not invent the wheel, but it does manage to offer solid amounts of entertainment, splattered with generous servings of blood and mayhem. [September 2012]