6.3

1. Jul 30, 2012
    In short, if you liked the first one, avoid this hacked together, amateur mess.
    Even if we are kind and ignore the plague of technical issues that this game shipped with (I only experienced the mouse issue and enabling vsync fixed it for me) this is still a terrible game.
    In short, if you liked the first one, avoid this hacked together, amateur mess.
    The graphics are simply dire: no shadows, no reflections, muddy textures and extremely low detail all throughout - it loks like a DX8 game. Running this at max details I get a very high frame rate (though it constantly bombs up and down for no reason) and it looks like a game from 10 years ago. It is a flat, boring, featureless world.
    The controls are vague and fairly unresponsive and generally you never really feel as though you are in control of the (utterly hateful and idiotic) protagonist. He is happy to bomb around, doing as he pleases, attacking what he wants, jumping where he fancies and generally ignoring the hell out of you while you miss target after target, normally as arbitrary and pointless countdowns expire meaning you fail the mission.
    The one thing I could have noted as a good point for this game is the ability to save whenever you like, rather than the usual console auto-save nonsense, but even that is broken. Saving produces a pointless replica of the previous auto-save, utterly ignoring anything you did since.
    Even if all the technical issues are fixed, the graphics will remain far below par (even for an xbox game), the port will remain horrible and utterly bereft of care and attention and the story line will be pallid and uninteresting. Do yourself a favour and install the first game - you'll be a lot happier.
  2. Jul 24, 2012
    This game is actually unplayable on my computer. The game suffers numerous crashes, has hard locked my system, and feels like Activision has just pushed out a straight console port.

Today steam unlocked Prototype 2 and having pre-loaded it I quickly launched it on my default computer. An Intel Core I7-3770, dual ATI 6990's, and 8GB of ram on a 64-bit Windows 7 system. The game would not start with all 4 graphics cards enabled (the 6990 is a dual-gpu card). As such I had to disable down to one card. I game on three 30" HP LP3065 monitors each running a resolution of 2560x1600. Prototype 2 does not even SUPPORT 2560x1600 and as such I'm forced to run at a non-native resolution of 1920x1200. With the single ati 6990 (the others are disabled using Radeon Pro) the game stutters and chugs. All of the "in engine" cut scenes are unwatchable due to the fact I'm getting 3 to 5 FPS according to the built in Radeon Pro fps counter. In play, the game behaves better but if I attempt to turn a quick 180 the game will either crash or it will lockup for a few moments and then continue on normally. While the 6990 isn't bleeding edge anymore its the equivalent of an ATI 6970 and shouldn't have these kinds of problems. From the 65 minutes that I've played Prototype 2 feels identical to Prototype. I honestly wish I could give a more in depth review but at this point I can't even play the game. I know, this might read as a rant but if you're running a crossfire configuration, a 2560x1600 resolution, or didn't care for the first Prototype I would recommend avoiding this game.
  3. Mar 10, 2013
    though it has impressive graphics and visuals, but the game is just boring and very repetitive.. the story is dumb and james heller is consensually obnoxious.. Side missions are almost all the same.
  4. May 9, 2013
    prototype 2 is a really fun game. the gameplay is great, though its a little repetetive. the combat uses one of the greatest combat systems i have ever played. the bad stuff is the story is OK and not more than that. the characters are flat and boring. the graphics are OK as well though they are a bit outdated. some animations and effects look really bad, especially explosions.
    overall
    overall this is a really fun game!!!!!! just dont buy it for the story or graphics. you should buy it if you want really awesome gameplay!!!!!!
  5. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is better than any Assassin's Creed will ever be.

This game is better than any Assassin's Creed will ever be.

Although there's a difference in focus and scope, Prototype 2 grows on its predecessor's stealth and guerrilla tactics. Graphics are OK, and just like Prototype 1, the amount of cutscenes, memories and missions is astounding. The character upgrades really make you feel like a super-powered badass, but most importantly, this game allows you to hunt your target, put yourself into position, drop in, take your target, and disappear by blending into the chaos. This is particularly where this game shines in comparison with other games on its category, and especially with the AC saga, thanks to an accessible and fun system that allows for almost total freedom in mission execution: not to mention collectibles that actually DO SOMETHING for the character, instead of being just another counter in your HUD to fill. No need to take a given path, no need to just smash on your "riposte" button until you go numb. On that respect, keyboard controls are poorly implemented and kinda suck. Not game-breaking, but can get kinda annoying.

Game worked perfectly in an i7 3770, 8GB RAM DDR3, GeForce 650 2GB DDR5. If it doesn't work in your next-gen über computer... well, try without running it on crossfired dual-proc graphics card, you goddamn moron.
  6. Aug 24, 2012
    Meh, i don't know. On one side it was fun to run around jumping and just experiencing the incredible smoothness of the animations, but as with Prototype 1 the missions are very generic and there is no real story. On the other hand the interactions with the people in the streets are nicely done, the way they react, run away, bump into each other and everything was nice to see. Also theMeh, i don't know. On one side it was fun to run around jumping and just experiencing the incredible smoothness of the animations, but as with Prototype 1 the missions are very generic and there is no real story. On the other hand the interactions with the people in the streets are nicely done, the way they react, run away, bump into each other and everything was nice to see. Also the combat was pretty good, especially liked the battles with the giant monsters, there is a real feeling of superiority every time but you still need to put the right moves together which made for a strangely stress-less gaming experience. The length is just right for me, i was getting a little tired of the generic missions so i stopped doing the altogether after a bit and just rushed the main story. So i don't know, this game has very good gameplay and looks very good, but has a very poor story and non-existant replayability. But still it was more or less enjoyable. Expand
  7. Aug 6, 2012
    This game could be a lot better, but it lacks the most important thing: a good story. to know the story, you just need to read the first sentence of the game description, "kill your maker". Thats it. A few boring plot twists, nothing exciting. when i saw the trailers, i thought Sgt. Heller might be an interesting character, like Mercer was, but he isn't. He just swears the whole game. iThis game could be a lot better, but it lacks the most important thing: a good story. to know the story, you just need to read the first sentence of the game description, "kill your maker". Thats it. A few boring plot twists, nothing exciting. when i saw the trailers, i thought Sgt. Heller might be an interesting character, like Mercer was, but he isn't. He just swears the whole game. i think the wasted too much time to make the game brutal as hell, and didn't give it much thought. 6/10 because of the fun gameplay. Expand
  8. Jan 6, 2013
    Horrible port to PC, you can swim through the forums about how furious people with high-end systems are that their vid cards/processors aren't supported by craptivision's engine. Side-by-side with the first game, same person, same powers, same missions. The only difference with this one is fighting grotesque/enormous bosses, which all hail in comparison to any God of War or DarksidersHorrible port to PC, you can swim through the forums about how furious people with high-end systems are that their vid cards/processors aren't supported by craptivision's engine. Side-by-side with the first game, same person, same powers, same missions. The only difference with this one is fighting grotesque/enormous bosses, which all hail in comparison to any God of War or Darksiders boss.
    Technical specs aside, how you felt about this one compared to the first aside, and any possible bias towards Activision out the window; this game is essentially a mature renovation of a spider-man game. Same extensively repetitive button mashing, same endless and stale side quests, generic "your the good guy but actually the bad guy too" plot wherein being good/evil doesn't decide anything game changing. Bottom line, it feels like this game is 4-5 others mashed up together into an excuse for a sequel. Replay-ability is 0, and the story line is forgettable.
  9. Nov 23, 2012
    Totally an kick-ass game where vengeance is everything. The only thing that i hated is the storyline. Playing as Heller is not as fun as playing as Alex Mercer was. Side missions are also helpful for Heller evolution.
  10. Dec 19, 2012
    Its very similar to the first game with a few improvements. If you did not like the first game, do not bother with this one.
    Personally, i think its really fun. You basically have unlimited power and few like a semi-god running around new york. Free roaming and some repetitive side missions, but very rewarding. The story is bad and does not let you relate to any character (because you play both "bad" and "good" guys), but the main missions are usually fun and the fact that your powers make you feel like you could kill superman with a click of your fingers compensate to all that.
  11. Jul 31, 2012
    This game had so much potential. It seemed like Activision just wanted to get their quick fix for money with the PC version here. Even with my i7 920 4 core 2.66 GHz processor , my GTX 560ti x2 and 8GB RAM, the game runs at about 20 fps on the very lowest possible settings. It also does not support 1080p so if you are using a 1080p resolution you will get around 5-8 fps. (This is with myThis game had so much potential. It seemed like Activision just wanted to get their quick fix for money with the PC version here. Even with my i7 920 4 core 2.66 GHz processor , my GTX 560ti x2 and 8GB RAM, the game runs at about 20 fps on the very lowest possible settings. It also does not support 1080p so if you are using a 1080p resolution you will get around 5-8 fps. (This is with my current hardware). The story is fantastic so that's what I give it a 1 for, the open world is ruined by the laggy world, and constant crashes that make you redo everything all over again. Do not waste your money on this, it is not worth it. Expand
  12. Oct 29, 2012
    The story is an insult to everyone who actually enjoyed the plot in the first game. The fact that you need to read a comic that bridges the gap between the two games to understand why Alex acts the way he does now is ridiculous (and what's worse: the comic is quite bad). The camera is extremely unresponsive (and it's even worse in the indoors sections). Gameplay improved since the firstThe story is an insult to everyone who actually enjoyed the plot in the first game. The fact that you need to read a comic that bridges the gap between the two games to understand why Alex acts the way he does now is ridiculous (and what's worse: the comic is quite bad). The camera is extremely unresponsive (and it's even worse in the indoors sections). Gameplay improved since the first installment (which I enjoyed a lot more though) but it could have been a lot better, it's like they were afraid to add more animations or give you more than 5 powers. A game like this driving me away because of its plot is new for me. Expand
  13. Aug 9, 2012
    In a few words.... Prototype 2 is Prototype 1 with a different story, and a couple new features.... Pretty sure all the character animations were just ripped straight from the first one... Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the game. But the game was just a bunch of lazy. Developers just waiting till Prototype died out then re-releasing it with a different campaign and fancy new black and whiteIn a few words.... Prototype 2 is Prototype 1 with a different story, and a couple new features.... Pretty sure all the character animations were just ripped straight from the first one... Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the game. But the game was just a bunch of lazy. Developers just waiting till Prototype died out then re-releasing it with a different campaign and fancy new black and white cut-scenes...

As far as graphics go, they are EXACTLY the same as the first one..... Gameplay is a 7-8, but I have to dock it for being so lazy

Invest in a gamepad (like a wired 360 controller) for best results

This game is a straight port of a console game so playing with a controller is best
  14. Nov 16, 2012
    Finally came the long awaited sequel to one of the most underrated games. She came with a new character, a better story, better with new features, more interesting missions. It is a pity that the designers practically have not changed too much, the story remained the again the graphics are not great, this optimization is rubbish, and generally a lot of items in the game has changed for theFinally came the long awaited sequel to one of the most underrated games. She came with a new character, a better story, better with new features, more interesting missions. It is a pity that the designers practically have not changed too much, the story remained the again the graphics are not great, this optimization is rubbish, and generally a lot of items in the game has changed for the worse. Too bad, because I expected better after a really good single room. My rating - 7/10 Expand
  15. Dec 6, 2012
    Quite fun to play game but still lacks a good base...it has lot of errors on the pc port and mostly it provides nothing..Textures are very often blobs of blurry color mixed together
  16. Jul 25, 2012
    Where to begin.. horrible port. Different controllers on the PC require different in-game response. The camera is too floaty, not always responsive, and usually very choppy due to being tied to FPS. Textures are very often just blobs of blurry color mixed together. At least one main story mission is broken for a lot of people, stopping any progression at all. Way, way, WAY too manyWhere to begin.. horrible port. Different controllers on the PC require different in-game response. The camera is too floaty, not always responsive, and usually very choppy due to being tied to FPS. Textures are very often just blobs of blurry color mixed together. At least one main story mission is broken for a lot of people, stopping any progression at all. Way, way, WAY too many "challenges" for the kiddies to stroke their e-peens on. Seems like most of the game IS challenges now, with very little story, and nothing to do on the side except try for gold medals and the best time among your friends. I loved Prototype I and expected far more from the sequel at the price they charged. Unfortunately it fails on almost every level with a dull thud. Wait for more PC reviews and/or gameplay videos on YouTube before buying this disaster, or just pick it up when it is on sale. Note to Activision and the now-defunct development team: PC gamers expect more than e-peen stroking and bland gameplay ported from a console. Expand
  17. Jul 30, 2012
    @ SonOfACracker: Glavius isn't the only guy having issues. He and the others are right, in technical terms this is indeed a horrible console port. The engine is horribly optimized for PC, and several people with high-end computers are having framerate problems. -- I also had FPS problems/lags, but with that said, the game is entertaining as hell. I'll have to stick with a 6/10 though@ SonOfACracker: Glavius isn't the only guy having issues. He and the others are right, in technical terms this is indeed a horrible console port. The engine is horribly optimized for PC, and several people with high-end computers are having framerate problems. -- I also had FPS problems/lags, but with that said, the game is entertaining as hell. I'll have to stick with a 6/10 though because of the technical issues, otherwise this would have been an 8/10. Hope they will patch it eventually! Expand
  18. Jul 31, 2012
    This game is absolutely awfull. I have a I5-2500k running at 4.5Ghz, twin HD6970, and 16gb of ram, and a 240gb ssd, yet that game laaaag all the time. It dosent even support multi-screen or resolution over 1080p. Control is absolutely failed, the mouse feel like a joystick emulation. Many visual glitches, flickering textures and the like. Visuals are outdates, with shapes made of notThis game is absolutely awfull. I have a I5-2500k running at 4.5Ghz, twin HD6970, and 16gb of ram, and a 240gb ssd, yet that game laaaag all the time. It dosent even support multi-screen or resolution over 1080p. Control is absolutely failed, the mouse feel like a joystick emulation. Many visual glitches, flickering textures and the like. Visuals are outdates, with shapes made of not enought polygons "squarish".

Typical Activision pc port... Save your $$$ for a better game.
  19. Oct 4, 2012
    I like this game. You get exactly what you see in the videos and that's what I wanted - ton of action, lots of fun, unlimited aggression. The graphics are pretty good (in Prototype 1 they are way worse, just install simultaneously and see for yourself). Also, I've never experienced a single bug or low fps moment on my 1920x1200 screen during 18 hours of game play. So, some user reviewsI like this game. You get exactly what you see in the videos and that's what I wanted - ton of action, lots of fun, unlimited aggression. The graphics are pretty good (in Prototype 1 they are way worse, just install simultaneously and see for yourself). Also, I've never experienced a single bug or low fps moment on my 1920x1200 screen during 18 hours of game play. So, some user reviews here seem to be stating facts that are just untrue. There won't be any technical problems on a good PC and the guy who says that 1080p is not supported just lies. Everything is stable and smooth at the top graphical settings. Expand
  20. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is awesome and i don't know why most other gamers don't like this game.This game's excellent features are its wall run and gliding.My favoirite weapon is blade.
  21. dgn
    Aug 4, 2012
    It's so boring. Same missions again and again from start to end. Also there's no difference from first game. Actually I can say that this game is kinda a mod of first game. Anyway both of them are so boring.
  22. Aug 17, 2012
    I'm a BIG fan of the frist Prototype game. But this secound game is just horrible. And here is a few reasons.
    1. Heller (the main new character) is one of the most overdone and stereotyped black man in video games. 2. Ruined the story of Prototype 1- no conspiracy-ex- Pariah, Greene, etc. 3. HEY KILLED OFF MERCER FOR NO REASON.
  23. Jul 31, 2012
    In short: the game is amazingly fun, you really feel like a bad-ass superhero blinded by revenge who will go through anything to get his vengeance. Lots of awesome animations and powers; the city zones are interesting (the Red Zone really feels like a warzone); the story is intriguing with plenty of twists. The only downside is the performance on the PC. If you're not that big of a framesIn short: the game is amazingly fun, you really feel like a bad-ass superhero blinded by revenge who will go through anything to get his vengeance. Lots of awesome animations and powers; the city zones are interesting (the Red Zone really feels like a warzone); the story is intriguing with plenty of twists. The only downside is the performance on the PC. If you're not that big of a frames per second critic then you'll hardly notice the bad fps during all this awesomeness Expand
  24. Aug 12, 2012
    Gameplay is fantastic, just as I expected. Story is not as good. The protagonist, James Heller, is too simple minded. Playing as Heller is not as fun as playing as Alex Mercer, who underwent from avenger to redeemer. I don't think Alex from Prototype 1 would turn into the villain in 2, based on his character: He hunts down the runners, he saves the city, he cares about his sister, heGameplay is fantastic, just as I expected. Story is not as good. The protagonist, James Heller, is too simple minded. Playing as Heller is not as fun as playing as Alex Mercer, who underwent from avenger to redeemer. I don't think Alex from Prototype 1 would turn into the villain in 2, based on his character: He hunts down the runners, he saves the city, he cares about his sister, he doesn't easily trust others (why would he recklessly give so many random people with shapeshifting powers in 2?), etc. Alex Mercer from 1 is my favorite protagonist of all time. The team shouldn't have made him the villain. Expand
  25. Aug 3, 2012
    I was so excited to play Prototype 2, but I just can't play it because of how much of a horrible **** console port it is.
    The PC controls are horrible. But the worst of all is that it doesn't matter if I run the game on highest settings or lowest settings the game will always run on ~30 FPS with many huge lag spikes when I glide around the city, why is that? My Computer can handle the game just fine, why Activision WHY WHY WHY??!?!?!
  26. Nov 25, 2012
    Let's start by saying that Prototype 1 is one of my all time favorites and Prototype 2 one of my all time worst sequels. I play PC games and clearly this is a bad console conversion. Apart from various crashes, the game has an awful frame rate which makes it completely unplayable. I don't have a ninja PC, but I could play every other game I tried. For me it is simply a matter of bad game design.
  27. Oct 16, 2012
    Prototype 1 with a different protagonist. The only thing that makes this game worth playing is the fun you can have by destroying things and killing people using your powers. The problem is this can't be fun for a long time.. 2 hours? maybe 3? After spending some time killing and destroying everything and everyone, you just realise that there's nothing else worth playing this game for. ItPrototype 1 with a different protagonist. The only thing that makes this game worth playing is the fun you can have by destroying things and killing people using your powers. The problem is this can't be fun for a long time.. 2 hours? maybe 3? After spending some time killing and destroying everything and everyone, you just realise that there's nothing else worth playing this game for. It could have had a great story that sucks you in, but that's not the case. The story is boring and the only thing you'll want to do while watching a cut scene is to make it stop so you can go back to destroying sh*t. If you enjoy that, then maybe you'll like the game, but I got bored after 1 hour of gameplay. Expand
  28. Nov 5, 2012
    Despite the memory leak, the game was fun. I just wish more of my friends had it so i could fully appreciate the RADnet package so i could compete with them for top scores and such. Also, the helicopters take a while to get used to flying (that, or i'm just completely hopeless at flying aircraft)
  29. Dec 28, 2012
    Though they increased the visuals and control, it feels as though they have taken a step backwards with not only the story but the overall interest that made the original popular. The protagonist is in no way of the same caliber as Alex Mercer in Prototype 1 and you tend to get tired of his "man-pain" very quickly. If story and continuity are not something you think contribute to theThough they increased the visuals and control, it feels as though they have taken a step backwards with not only the story but the overall interest that made the original popular. The protagonist is in no way of the same caliber as Alex Mercer in Prototype 1 and you tend to get tired of his "man-pain" very quickly. If story and continuity are not something you think contribute to the overall greatness of a game, then you will probably love this game - but if you want more than just GTA on steroids ... look elsewhere. Expand
  30. Mar 11, 2013
    Prototype 2 is one of those braindead games that will just have you destroy stuff while being overpowered and nearly invincible. The only fun I had was jumping from rooftop to rooftop, but they made this game so dull and uninterresting and the main character just so overpowered that he'll leave the Hulk crying in a small dark corner.
  31. Jan 6, 2013

Prototype 2 lets you feel like a hungry predator among defenseless chickens and it feels great. Only pity is you hit the same hennery over and over again. [Sept 2012]
  2. Sep 7, 2012
    It could have been great, but this gruesome and ridiculous power fantasy is spoilt by a disgracefully shabby port to PC.
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    Prototype 2 (the swan song of Radical Entertainment) is a decent open-world action game, that does not invent the wheel, but it does manage to offer solid amounts of entertainment, splattered with generous servings of blood and mayhem. [September 2012]