8.9

1. JasonMiller
    Mar 1, 2009
    Very original and fun game. I know some complained about the controls, but I used a standard keyboard+mouse setup and it played great, so I'm not really sure what the issue was.
    The design came off with a nice balance between weird and realism, and has a maturity to it that most games I've played, especially more recent ones, simply lack.
    This game has now got me interested in
    This game has now got me interested in the other things the designer (Tim Schafer) has made as well, and I'm impressed.
  2. Oct 1, 2011
    First of all: Get this game. Really. If you're even remotely interested in either adventure or platform genre, get this game. Here's why Psychonauts gets a (almost) perfect 10 from my account.

I love games that delve into the psyche of one another, and Psychonauts does so in a very clear and fun way. Possibly inspired by Being John Malcovic you simply place a door on someones head and then you can step right in. Each character you enter has his or own -mostly traumatic- issues you get to deal with, causing each level to be completely different in terms of style and goal. So instead of your typical "go and fetch me a shrubbery" type of quest it's more like "jump inside and put my mind straight"

This game has what I think is the Tim Schafer signature in terms of dialogue, humor and originality. Meaning you get the same feeling when playing the first Monkey Island or Sam and Max games, or Day of The Tentacle. Yet it's not a point and click adventure game, since you're running around in a 3D environment playing all kinds of acrobatic stunts (after all, you were raised as an acrobat). Psychonauts combines my two favourite genres, adventure and (3D) platforming, adding a compelling and original storyline and interesting, divers characters. There's a big gaming world for you to explore, and you'll never guess (right) what's coming next. The voicecasting is awesome imho, and graphically this game does not let down in any way. I do have to admit one thing though: I have never finished it. The very last level was just too hard for me, and I got frustrated every time. I believe it also had to do with some weird camera angles at that point which didn't work out for me. Nevertheless I didn't find that reason enough to rate this game any lower than 10. It's just that much fun.

So now that it's ont steam I'll be buying this gem again. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get to finish it this time..
  3. Feb 21, 2012
    As a nostalgic thrill I decided to play this game again, not remembering the great humor fun combat and creative story I loved this game. The incredible mind of Tim Shaefer is yet to disappoint me.
  4. MarkT.
    Jul 25, 2005
    This game is a rare gem... the twisted 50s paranoia filled neighbourhood you wonder in search of the milkman is a true classic; the hapless comments from the residents of lungfishopolis are hilarious; while the camera angles are a pain sometimes, this is a must-buy for anyone who feels computer games need to be a little more adventurous and a little less formulaic. Two thumbs up!
  5. CliftonM.
    May 1, 2007
    One of the best and funniest games to come out in the last 5 years, a true shame it didn't sell very well.
  6. Nov 3, 2010
    Psychonauts follows the adventures of Razputin, or Raz, in a psychic summer camp where the government is supposedly training children with paranormal abilities to become secret agents named psychonauts. I say supposedly because the game has a complex story which is being slowly unraveled as I play through the various levels represented by the different minds Raz enters. The mainPsychonauts follows the adventures of Razputin, or Raz, in a psychic summer camp where the government is supposedly training children with paranormal abilities to become secret agents named psychonauts. I say supposedly because the game has a complex story which is being slowly unraveled as I play through the various levels represented by the different minds Raz enters. The main character Raz resembles a classic child hero who must rise up out of an oppressive upbringing to fight the evil madman who wants nothing else but to take over the world. Unlike most games which start with a dull tutorial that simply teaches basic keyboard commands Psychonauts offered a chance to develop some of the plot before even starting the tutorial through interactions with minor characters. During the tutorial, which was named â Expand
  7. Oct 10, 2011
    One of the most creative and fun games ever created! Everyone owes it to themselves to play this game. The character dialogue is compelling and humorous and the storyline is epically strange.
  8. Dec 24, 2011
    Craziest game I ever played. At first it looked like Metroid in 3d, with exploration, collecting powers and more exploration in newly available areas. But game is much more, for example undersea pursuit - I didn't see such race in games at all. So if you don't afraid to play in non standard game with very non standard graphics - when you will enjoy this game.
  9. Oct 14, 2011
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant. This is what a platformer should be. It is one of the most original and fun games I have ever played. If you're a fan of platformers, you should buy psychonauts right now. My only real complaint is that the camera angle can sometimes screw you up at ONE point in the game, but that's it. When that's the only discernable flaw that a game has, it deserves a 10.
  10. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is my favourite game in the whole universe. It is so good, filled with humor and exciting stuff to do. I swear the money spent on this game will not be a waste, it's a Tim Schafer classic and it's gorgeous from beginning to end.
  11. Feb 8, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game. It starts off slowly but by the third 'stage' the game is just incredibly fun and creative. There are more than few annoying, whining kids in the very beginning of the game but they quickly vanish. Most of the later stages are extremely fun and memorable.
  12. EmilA.
    Mar 6, 2008
    It's a really fun and entertaining platform game. Excellent controls and feeling. The story is thrilling and well put on the table. Great game!
  13. TedG.
    May 8, 2005
    some people might disagree but I think this game is like mario sunshine on crack, with better level design and none of those goddammed unplaytested so frustrating you want to disembowel someone flaws. perfect difficulty ramp, incredible amount of exploration, hand-drawn collectibles, precise control (dont listen to IGN reviewer because the system rewards skill not windwaker-esque "auto some people might disagree but I think this game is like mario sunshine on crack, with better level design and none of those goddammed unplaytested so frustrating you want to disembowel someone flaws. perfect difficulty ramp, incredible amount of exploration, hand-drawn collectibles, precise control (dont listen to IGN reviewer because the system rewards skill not windwaker-esque "auto grab") and terrific voice acting all makes this the most atmospheric and engrossing platformer since American McGee's Alice (11 on a scale of 1 to 10). sheer amount of creativity is unbelievable. Expand
  14. Jeffthejiff
    Feb 23, 2006
    This is the greatest game i've played in years. Thanks to Tim Schafer's adventure game roots, the story is original and imaginitive, and the level design really pulls you in to the surreal atmosphere. The characters are fantastic, with spot on voice acting delivering some great one-liners. The game is loosely structured, allowing you to roam around and play various missions, This is the greatest game i've played in years. Thanks to Tim Schafer's adventure game roots, the story is original and imaginitive, and the level design really pulls you in to the surreal atmosphere. The characters are fantastic, with spot on voice acting delivering some great one-liners. The game is loosely structured, allowing you to roam around and play various missions, many of which are based within other character's minds - allowing all sorts of weird and wonderful things to happen. The gameplay mechanics are a lot of fun, allowing you to use various psychic powers such as levitation and telekinesis. While the prospect of hunting for items in order to buy equipment or level up seems daunting at first, the game never seems to get repetitive or dull thanks to the beautiful and imaginitive scenery and plenty of characters to talk to or just listen to. I honestly think that gaming cant get much better than this. It is hilarious, thoughtful, hugely detailed, and above all a massive amount of fun. Its great and just keeps growing on you. Expand
  15. DMarsy
    Jan 21, 2007
    Great platforming fun ! It's got decent graphics, is funny and there is a good few hours of gaming in it. Well worth a go.
  16. RichardS.
    Oct 28, 2007
    This is best platformer I have played (and played and played) to date. Nothing sucked me in like this since Mario64. The art and characters are brilliant, though some levels are difficult, they are more than possible with a little thinking. The story is wacky, insane and fun. And though using a keyboard and mouse it hard (find me one that isn't), it's a platformer, so I used a This is best platformer I have played (and played and played) to date. Nothing sucked me in like this since Mario64. The art and characters are brilliant, though some levels are difficult, they are more than possible with a little thinking. The story is wacky, insane and fun. And though using a keyboard and mouse it hard (find me one that isn't), it's a platformer, so I used a control pad. Anyone with even the remotest interest in Platform style games should play this, if for no other reason than to know what you should expect a great game to be. Expand
  17. KoleR.
    Mar 26, 2007
    This game is fun, funny, and one of the best games I have ever played its plot is interesting and funny. It is a shame if you haven't heard of this game. Its only $20 and its awesome. Must Have.
  18. KristianK.
    May 27, 2007
    It is the best game in the WORLD :P
  19. KimP.
    Jun 15, 2005
    Aside from Full Throttle, I wasn't a Tim Shafer junky like many. However, I *loved* this game. I thought the gameplay was original, the theme and story VERY original, and the level design was BRILLIANTLY original. The writing and voice acting was far above the quality of most game titles. There were jokes kids would find funny, and jokes that adults will get and that will go over Aside from Full Throttle, I wasn't a Tim Shafer junky like many. However, I *loved* this game. I thought the gameplay was original, the theme and story VERY original, and the level design was BRILLIANTLY original. The writing and voice acting was far above the quality of most game titles. There were jokes kids would find funny, and jokes that adults will get and that will go over kids heads. The only thing barring this from getting a 10 was that some of the boss fights, especially the last few, revert to very classic button-mash style, poor AI-driven, ones. Don't let that stop you though. One of the must play games of 2005. Expand
  20. ErikB.
    Sep 15, 2005
    This game reminded me why I love video games. It had characters I actually cared about, a great storyline, and cool levels. The voice acting really helped with the immersion. I loved the totally different feel each level had, and I although the puzzles were pretty easy I had fun solving them. It took me about 14 hours to complete the game with about 95% of the items collected, but I can This game reminded me why I love video games. It had characters I actually cared about, a great storyline, and cool levels. The voice acting really helped with the immersion. I loved the totally different feel each level had, and I although the puzzles were pretty easy I had fun solving them. It took me about 14 hours to complete the game with about 95% of the items collected, but I can probably blow through it in 6 hours now that all the exploring is taken care of. If you like platforms this is the best that's come out in quite a while. Expand
  21. BrianM.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Amazing game with hilarious storyline and slapstick comedy.
  22. SamS
    Sep 30, 2009
    Doublefine does some of the most amazing work I've seen in this industry. Definitely a 10
  23. MisterDK
    Jan 13, 2008
    Superb game, very refreshing and strange. Would recommend to anyone out there.
  24. ColbyA.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Another one of the best games I've played - from some of the people who brought us the Monkey Island series, too! You can tell, even. Great sophisticated humor (no bathroom jokes), many laughs, and really fun and original combat/gameplay system. Definitely recommended story of a carnie at a psychic summer camp unraveling a mystery.
  25. May 27, 2011
    While the controls are in need of improvement on the PC, the game itself is a wonder to behold. With a very innovative world and combat system, the game continues to be a high point in the world of 3D platformers. With a few small adjustments to the camera, this game could be one of the best games of all time.
  26. MarkG
    Jul 29, 2009
    The worst aspect of this game is that fact that when it was first released back in 2005 it got overlooked by the gaming public which lead the studio who created it getting closed down. For some reason people prefer to stick to what they know and play the countless Halo, Call of Duty and Tomb Raider squeals instead whereas Psychonauts is wholly originally and a great deal of fun. The in The worst aspect of this game is that fact that when it was first released back in 2005 it got overlooked by the gaming public which lead the studio who created it getting closed down. For some reason people prefer to stick to what they know and play the countless Halo, Call of Duty and Tomb Raider squeals instead whereas Psychonauts is wholly originally and a great deal of fun. The in game graphics, box art and concept do paint this game as some what 'quirky' which I guess is one of the reasons why people where initially put off this game but if you can put your first impressions aside and at least play the free demo you will find just how fun this game is. What makes this game stand out for (as has been pointed out by other reviews) is the level design, the scripting and the humour. Now whilst the gameplay isn't ground breaking it works well although I would highly recommend you use a control pad to play this game. Now I don't want to give to much away but in all my years of gaming I've never played a game like this, the ideas behind some of the levels are just fantastic with one level basically being a parody of Godzilla. Although the game is from 2005 the graphics still hold up in my opinion after all this is a platform game in the vein of Mario but unlike most games of that period it does support wide screen monitors and resolutions up to 1920x1200 within the in game options! I've even come across games this year that don't fully support wide screens yet, so, so much for the argument Psychonauts isn't a technical. The only negative aspects of this game are only minor, the camera positioning doesn't always end up where you want it and even with a control pad the controls takes a bit of getting used to. My only other gripe is the the wasn't long enough, I played it for a week but I had so much fun playing it I wanted more. If I had played this game from new I would have given this an 8/10 (due to it's length) but since it can be bought for next nothing now it gets a well deserved 9/10. Expand
  27. Feb 10, 2012
    One of the best platformers out there, if not the best. No review is needed, just take my hearty recommendation and buy this game. Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.
  28. Mar 21, 2011
    This was Double Fine's first release. When a new game company enters the industry they have to release something new or different in an attempt to get people to buy their games. Sometimes this is a success and a unique game is created or it is a horrible clunky failure. This game simply blew me away. I played it for the first time in 2010 after hearing very little about it. I was born inThis was Double Fine's first release. When a new game company enters the industry they have to release something new or different in an attempt to get people to buy their games. Sometimes this is a success and a unique game is created or it is a horrible clunky failure. This game simply blew me away. I played it for the first time in 2010 after hearing very little about it. I was born in 89 and have been playing video games my entire life and in MASSIVE quantities. I saw more creativity and unique game play mechanics in single levels of Psychonauts than I had seen in entire other games that I previously praised as being unique or creative. For me games, if good, are generally pretty fun and at least entertaining. Everything about this game was so much fun and fun might actually be the best word to describe this game. Isn't that what games are supposed to be after all?

If I was going to give this a game a very honest review it would probably get an 8.0 losing points for some camera angle/mechanic issues that are common with mediocre PC ports. I can't speak for how it was on consoles. I can't do that though because I simply loved this game too much and it still remains my favorite game of all time. Te good aspects of the game just obliterate any negative points I would even consider giving it.
  29. Feb 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my 3D gaming life, I only have three 10/10 games. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, and Psychonauts. Apart from being one of the most humorous games you will ever play, it is the sheer joy of the surroundings, music and dialogue, that will keep you coming back again and again.

The art style is perfect for the action adventure genre, and it has the settings for higher end graphics cards that will turn the game into a visual masterpiece. I remember playing this with a medium strength Radeon 9800SE, and then trying again with a GeForce 9800GT at Full-HD with all eye-candy enabled... It was incredible to behold.

Not to give too much away, but the final stage of the story was not thoroughly play-tested, and has some issues with camera positioning, visibility and difficulty level. In fact, the Meat Circus level is so much harder than all levels that came before it, you may well consider it impossible to complete.

Be patient, and keep trying, as the reward of completing this game, is well worth the effort (and multiple deaths incurred). Once completed, you can play this game many more times, and just walk around listening to interesting and humorous chatter among the other characters.

This game is a true classic, and was shamefully overlooked on original release. This game is still available for original XBOX, Playstation 2 and PC (via GOG.COM or Steam), so do yourself a favour and reserve a good few weeks to fully appreciate (what I consider to be) a milestone in adventure gaming.

30. Jun 24, 2013
    I like this game. Get tired of 2D platformers and found out this is good, 3D platformers still wins in many ways to me. In the 2D platformers all i got is just, walk left, right, jump up jump down, which kind of boring to me. I'm using a joystick to play this game, excellent gaming experience. The graphic are nice, I like the way the game developer do the things in this game. Great and aI like this game. Get tired of 2D platformers and found out this is good, 3D platformers still wins in many ways to me. In the 2D platformers all i got is just, walk left, right, jump up jump down, which kind of boring to me. I'm using a joystick to play this game, excellent gaming experience. The graphic are nice, I like the way the game developer do the things in this game. Great and a must play game. Expand
  31. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. probably the most original game ever, psychonauts was one of my favorites growing up. i got it on steam and all i can say is, i understand why i liked it so much. you play as a kid named raz, short for razputin, a kid who has phychic abilities. so you naturally run away from your home (the circus) and sneak in the camp. after a funny intro sequence, you can explore the overworld. there's not much in it yet, but it's fun to collect arrowheads, the games currency, in between levels. you soon discover where the levels take place, in peoples minds. after you beat the first level named "basic braining" you can explore the whole camp. you soon get invited to special training by psychonaut sasha nein. so after you go to his training facility you get in his mind and unlock psi blasts. the next levels have you going in your own mind, having to leave the the level twice to unlock powerups to progress. eventually your love interest lilli gets abducted by a lake monster called a lungfish. after a meh boss you go in it's mind where you are a godzilla monster named goggalor with one objective, destroy everything. you soon befriend the lungfish (her name's linda) and she takes you to an insane asylum conveniently placed near the camp where all you have to collect your fellow camper's brains. the minds you go through consist of a level where you try to solve a mystery and find out who the milkman is, a theater, a risk style board game featuring fred and napolean bonaparte, and my favorite, black velvetopia, a place that has you joining wrestling matches to build a tower of cards and fight a bull. once you climb up to the end of the asylum, you meet sheegor, who is voiced by tara strong also, raz is voiced by the person who was invader zim). you soon fight your corrupted camp leader's brain in a "brain tank". but once you win, the tank pours out sneezing powder that causes you to sneeze your brain out. you then launch your brain in the tank and your minds collide, causing the next and final level to be a mix between both your minds. this level is also notoriously hard and honestly, i don't see why. even as a kid i beat it without dieing once. after that you fight the last boss, but not before you unlock your super form. while this boss is easy, it's epic. then the game is over. Expand
  32. JamieS.
    May 8, 2005
    I found it slightly childish with it's mario-esque concentration on collectables and jumping puzzles and bosses; but then I'm 40+. For the younger crowd it's an excellent game with great graphics, an intriguing and fresh idea and lots of diferent areas. Thumbs up !!
  33. AngelantonioC.
    Jan 25, 2007
    The best 3D platform game on PC after Rayman 2. Psychonauts is a merry-go-round of humor and subjects literally "out of imagination". It's the example that videogame ARE art.
  34. DariusK.
    Jun 15, 2005
    While it has its problems (camera), this was definitely the best game I've played in a long while. I think the level design is superb, particularly the "Gloria's Theater" level, with its insistence on multiple overlapping play spaces. Brilliant. And hilarious.
  35. HamidZ.
    Oct 11, 2006
    It's the best platform game for the PC. No Joke.
  36. StefanoG.
    Oct 17, 2006
    Best platform game ever seen! The real game for all "day of the tentacle" fans, updated with current technology for anyone interested in computer gaming: buy it without doubt, it's a definitive masterpiece, a must. Suitable also for any age, 6-99 years.
  37. NagyB.
    May 1, 2006
    Simply a GREAT game!
  38. SimonA.
    Jan 30, 2007
    Simply the best game of its genre, I have ever played!
  39. JLiberman
    Apr 16, 2007
    A great game, this one deserves a sequel. The Nicklodeon style and humor sets it apart from everything out there. While cartoony, this game is not just for children.
  40. DanO.
    Apr 7, 2007
    Pretty good game over all, was funny, interesting game play, my only complaint was slightly annoying camera work, and I wish there was better menu / power controls. Still worth playing, lots of witty humor, and a decent set of varying game play from puzzles, to collecting to fighting. Variety of the different minds really a plus because you never really go back over the same are twice Pretty good game over all, was funny, interesting game play, my only complaint was slightly annoying camera work, and I wish there was better menu / power controls. Still worth playing, lots of witty humor, and a decent set of varying game play from puzzles, to collecting to fighting. Variety of the different minds really a plus because you never really go back over the same are twice unless you want to. Expand
  41. JordanB.
    Jul 24, 2007
    This is the coolest game i have ever played. not the best, but the coolest. it is prince of persia with psychic powers.
  42. EddM
    Jan 17, 2010
    Brilliant. Pure and simple. The game is wacky, funny, clever and above all: fun. I'm on my fifth play through at the moment and it still makes me laugh. The only issue really is the frankly insane difficulty spike over the last level or two. The game goes from fun to mind numbing slog for a half hour or so. It's no where near enough to ruin it, but it does take the shine off it! Brilliant. Pure and simple. The game is wacky, funny, clever and above all: fun. I'm on my fifth play through at the moment and it still makes me laugh. The only issue really is the frankly insane difficulty spike over the last level or two. The game goes from fun to mind numbing slog for a half hour or so. It's no where near enough to ruin it, but it does take the shine off it! Fully recommended though! Expand
    Sep 18, 2005
    The legendary Tim Schafer mixes hilarious dialog, wildly bizarre settings, imaginitive gameplay and the voice of Invader Zim to make a truly excellent (yet sorely underrated) game.
  44. DavidH.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Brilliant - Certainly one of the best platformers and one of the best games for innovation and style.
  45. CraigC.
    Oct 12, 2006
    This game is fun all the way through. It has a fun story with great gameplay, along with some quirky characters. I've played through this game about 3 times now, and I've loved having it.
  46. TomasR.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Supreme writing + best level design in years + perfect fun = Psychonauts, the best game of the last 5 years.
  47. NadarajenV.
    Nov 23, 2006
    A fun, challenging, beautifully designed game with great graphics and an original and interesting plot. Refreshing. A must have!
  48. MichaelD.
    Oct 14, 2006
    The best platformer ever released for the PC.
  49. KDep
    Jan 15, 2006
    Hands down one of the best games I've ever played. Go out and get it now if you haven't played it. The best thing is that while the base concept of the game stays the same, you never are doing the same thing. Your objectives and goals are different, and the game is very funny. I can't recommend this game enough!
  50. Maurog
    Dec 21, 2007
    A masterpiece reminding of good old classics like Monkey Island II. The characters, the plot, the very weird humor all blended perfectly. Easily one of the best games ever made.
  51. JasonM.
    Jun 1, 2007
    Pros: Great game that is nothing like anything I played before it. Good humor, and story. Cons: The interface was clearly not designed smartly for a pc game. If you pick up this game you may also want to snag a good joystick to go with it. Some minor quest bugs that required a save and restart to fix.
  52. BraibaG.
    Jun 19, 2007
    Both the most innovative and most under appreciated game of recent memory.
  53. ClaytonO.
    Jul 29, 2007
    I've been wanting to play this game for a long time. I finally got it on PC since it's kind of hard to find on XBOX nowadays. This is by far the most creative game I've ever played. I really enjoyed it and am quietly hoping for a sequel although I'm pretty sure the first one didn't make enough money to warrant one. Quite a shame really, this was an absolute joy to I've been wanting to play this game for a long time. I finally got it on PC since it's kind of hard to find on XBOX nowadays. This is by far the most creative game I've ever played. I really enjoyed it and am quietly hoping for a sequel although I'm pretty sure the first one didn't make enough money to warrant one. Quite a shame really, this was an absolute joy to play. Highly recommended!!!! Expand
  54. BenB.
    Aug 12, 2007
    Very original! Thanks to Double Fine Productions for making a great game !
  55. SeanW.
    Sep 12, 2007
    Such a very unique game. Very few games can compare nowadays.
  56. TimC.
    Apr 15, 2008
    I recently brought this game, Ive played a couple of levels and have very much enjoyed the experience so far, however i cant say ive played it enough to have a rounded opinion but anything designed by Tim Schafer is going to end up deserving a 10 anyway.
  57. CharlotteF.
    Mar 15, 2009
    Not the longest or most technologically advanced game there is, but Psychonauts makes such a creative take on the Action/Adventure layout that you'll barely notice, with hours of witty dialogue to discover along the way. Concentrates on what games are supposed to be about - fun. Which you WILL have.
  58. JohnG.
    May 21, 2005
    This game is, as some of the other user-reviews fail to note, fantastic. It's kid-friendly - no blood and guts here - but that's hardly a negative. Some of the best writing in games is on display here, along with ideas and level design that would make David Lynch and Frank Oz jealous. Buy this game; you will be happy you did.
  59. MikeM.
    Sep 12, 2005
    This is the perfect example of why interactive entertainment is overtaking all others. Greatly fleshed out story (like some older adventure games, no surprise given the dev), imaginative plot and levels, and lots of humor, though mostly aimed at a younger crowd, pushes this one above anything I've played before. I've had to rethink my 'ratings' on all previous games, This is the perfect example of why interactive entertainment is overtaking all others. Greatly fleshed out story (like some older adventure games, no surprise given the dev), imaginative plot and levels, and lots of humor, though mostly aimed at a younger crowd, pushes this one above anything I've played before. I've had to rethink my 'ratings' on all previous games, all 30 years-worth. There simply aren't enough like this being made. It's stuff like this that should make the movie industry uneasy, and not the umpteenth GTA, or even the very good story-driven FPS' such as HL2, which I eagerly awaited for years and liked immensely but somehow now pales. Collapse
  60. DaveE.
    Nov 11, 2006
    To give this game anything less than a 10 would be an insult. Brilliantly funny. Beautifully designed. Inventive gameplay. Wonderful story. It's also long. Playing this you start to realise how lazy platform designers have gotten. It really is the best platform game to grace any format in years. Although it might be hard to find in shops as its been out a while, it has recently been To give this game anything less than a 10 would be an insult. Brilliantly funny. Beautifully designed. Inventive gameplay. Wonderful story. It's also long. Playing this you start to realise how lazy platform designers have gotten. It really is the best platform game to grace any format in years. Although it might be hard to find in shops as its been out a while, it has recently been released on Steam, so i urge you to take a break from Half-Life 2 and Countstrike and download it. It's the best 20 bucks you'll ever spend. It really is a work of genius, and i'd like to apologise to the developers for not buying it sooner. Expand
  61. KenC.
    Oct 13, 2006
    This game is a must have! One of the best games me and my son have played.
  62. AustinA.
    Oct 16, 2006
    No platformer has ever entertained me. In fact, it's the genre I least admired out of every other genre out there. Thanks to the persuasion of a friend when this game came out and I played it, I couldn't stop until I had finished it. The humor is wonderful and this game feels like a comedy CG movie that you actually play through. The gameplay is easy and fun and just challenging No platformer has ever entertained me. In fact, it's the genre I least admired out of every other genre out there. Thanks to the persuasion of a friend when this game came out and I played it, I couldn't stop until I had finished it. The humor is wonderful and this game feels like a comedy CG movie that you actually play through. The gameplay is easy and fun and just challenging enough that you feel accomplished and not too challenging that you're throwing a fit. PLAY THIS GAME. Expand
  63. AlexH.
    Oct 26, 2007
    A daring adventure, like Super Mario on LSD. Plus clever storyline, engaging characters, funny dialogue, inventive puzzles.
  64. BenC.
    May 31, 2008
    The most original platform game I have ever come across. The art direction is superb and the writing is simply amazing. This is the first game in a long time that has made me both laugh out loud in places and almost cry in others. It displays an emotional maturity rarely seen in games. I have only one word of advice... if you don't have a gamepad to play this with: buy one. You The most original platform game I have ever come across. The art direction is superb and the writing is simply amazing. This is the first game in a long time that has made me both laugh out loud in places and almost cry in others. It displays an emotional maturity rarely seen in games. I have only one word of advice... if you don't have a gamepad to play this with: buy one. You won't be sorry. Expand
  65. [anonymous]
    Dec 21, 2009
    One of the greatest games i've ever played. I was a bit sceptical of it at first, but it was just so delightfully weird and funny at the same time. And the fact how they coule make a story this weird also giving that awesome feeling of epicness is just mind blowing. Get it? Mind...blowing....like the...game's...yeah.
  66. JamesRockley
    Aug 29, 2009
    I don't know about anyone else but I was recently starting to loose my faith in gaming, I'd buy a game and be bored within a few hours. I was starting to think that maybe I just didn't like video games anymore. Psychonauts put all of these worries to rest, by providing a fun (remember that people?), charming and hilarious game. While I shant give away anything in particular I don't know about anyone else but I was recently starting to loose my faith in gaming, I'd buy a game and be bored within a few hours. I was starting to think that maybe I just didn't like video games anymore. Psychonauts put all of these worries to rest, by providing a fun (remember that people?), charming and hilarious game. While I shant give away anything in particular let me just say you haven't seen anything like this before. Let me just go ahead and list some of the things that happen in this game: You terrorize a city of fish. You disguise yourself as a grieving widow to get past secret agents. You fight 4 wrestlers to win 4 queens. You play a turn-based strategy game against Napoleon. These kinds of things you just don't see anymore in video games. It's amazingly refreshing to play, and I only wish I had found it sooner. Do yourself a favor and buy this game, its hands down the best thing you'll ever get for $10! Expand
  67. LarryW.
    Dec 29, 2006
    Don't let the screen shots fool you...the sense of humor is very mature, and with the multi-level wit one would expect from classic cartoons. Psychonauts delivers fast paced, multidimensional fun that will have you playing and replaying. Visually and intellectually stimulating!
  68. Dec 26, 2012
    Psychonauts is an unforgettable experience. Its humor and art style is superb, and when everyone who plays it says that it's amazing and underrated, they're telling the truth. It feels like a cartoon/movie that you want to watch over and over again. The characters are likable, especially the main character, Rasputin. In fact, every character has voice acting, which was very impressive forPsychonauts is an unforgettable experience. Its humor and art style is superb, and when everyone who plays it says that it's amazing and underrated, they're telling the truth. It feels like a cartoon/movie that you want to watch over and over again. The characters are likable, especially the main character, Rasputin. In fact, every character has voice acting, which was very impressive for a platformer like Psychonauts. The gameplay is entertaining, the only downfall being some odd controls. You can move around just fine, and fighting is quite fun, but switching between psychic powers can feel a bit odd. The graphics are very stylized and look quite nice, even if they are currently outdated. You'll come across glitches every once and a while, but all the problems Psychonauts have are forgivable. The charm it has is borderline excessive, and even though I only really finished the game a year or so ago, I feel overwhelming nostalgia for it. The game really dos a good job of entertaining and bringing back that childhood wonder you may have once had for games. The MAIN drawback is that this game will, most likely, have no sequel. But it's cheap, so buy it for yourself, and any friends who may want it too. Expand
  69. Sep 14, 2011
    Outside of the tediousness of collecting the outlandish number of collectibles, Psychonauts is one of the most overlooked platforming gems to have ever been made. The art and general look of this game is very reminiscent of a Henry Selick film right down to the characters having exaggerated legs, arms and defining features. It's just a shame that there won't be a Psychonaut 2 in the future.
  70. Jul 28, 2013
    The gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up ourThe gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up our character by using psycards and mental cowebbs in weird machines.

What makes this game shine above others, besides the sense of humour, is its level design. Each level is a crazy world on its own and they range from a Godzilla-sentai level to a meat-filled circus and, my favourite, a Waterloo-battle game board. In this level, we go from the traditional board perspective requiring to move pieces [with our psychic powers] to actually being inside the board world as if it were a regular a level and we keep going between these two "dimensions" of gameplay.

There are some issues with the default controls, especially if you are using the keyboard-and-mouse combination but, fortunately, we can customize almost everything and even the camera pitch, which is extremely important for me since I prefer the inverted vertical control.

Graphically, the game looks vibrant and the engine handles things well. It is a pleasure to look at the characters and levels because they have been cleverly designed with a lot of "personality".

Psychonauts is a platformer like many others but its heart does not lie in its platforming roots but in its "psychoticness".

Funny story, crazy characters and witty level designs make it a must-play

Give it a try!

Gameplay: 9

Art: 10

///------TOTAL: 9 [rounded]------///
  71. Feb 9, 2012
    How many times have I passed this game? Million! And every time I passed this game with pleasure! A wonderful game... Suitable for gameplay characters, original graphics, great story... Excellent, just excellent!
  72. Aug 8, 2012
    Pleasantly satisfying gameplay is combined with beautiful environments, outstanding humor and an interesting and developed story to make Psychonauts a must have for gamepad owners! The memorable adventure at 30 hours completion with 100% achievements on Steam makes Psychonauts quite the bang for your buck.
  73. May 3, 2012
    Great game. Lots of fun moments, humor and challenges. You have to be careful not to blaze through the main challenges in the game and take some time in between each person's mind/level to explore the camp and interact with all the characters. The achievements for this game are a lot of fun but can be very frustrating when tracking down those last few figments.

Works wonderfully with an

Works wonderfully with an XBox360 game pad.
  74. Oct 1, 2012
    Imaginative, creative, hilarious, charming, beautiful, and fun! These are the traits Psychonauts has to offer. But would you expect anything else from Tim shafer? It baffles me how well Double Fine have made this game. Not just from a technical view point, Psychonauts is a genius game. The humor and dialog are some of the best I have seen in videogames, and the characters and story blendImaginative, creative, hilarious, charming, beautiful, and fun! These are the traits Psychonauts has to offer. But would you expect anything else from Tim shafer? It baffles me how well Double Fine have made this game. Not just from a technical view point, Psychonauts is a genius game. The humor and dialog are some of the best I have seen in videogames, and the characters and story blend together in a most fitting way. There are so many lovable characters in this game, and each has something unique of their own. You get to get into the minds of various folks during the game, and each has a special vision in their brains. The story is fantastic, and geniuanly forces you to keep going. So much creativity and originality is here, I can't recommend it enough. If you like games that aren't conventional, or games that break the mold, this one is like no other. It aged very well, graphically, so you won't have a problem playing it today. A videogame masterpiece. Expand
  75. May 29, 2012
    Psychonauts was one of the best games of the new millenium decade. It makes it right up there on my top 5 games of all time list. In the way of Art Design, the game is incredibly stylized with no two NPC's looking alike. The writing that went into these NPC's is also fantastic, making each character memorable and unique. Voice acting was great, but a few more lines were needed, as I foundPsychonauts was one of the best games of the new millenium decade. It makes it right up there on my top 5 games of all time list. In the way of Art Design, the game is incredibly stylized with no two NPC's looking alike. The writing that went into these NPC's is also fantastic, making each character memorable and unique. Voice acting was great, but a few more lines were needed, as I found characters repeating lines too often. Controls are smooth, but the terrain can trap you into a slide move when you landed there by accident. The game is largely a 3rd Person Platformer with puzzles and combat done through the various psychic powers you get during the game. On my first playthrough, I had trouble with something that should never happen in a video game. When you go to a store, the merchandise should be an optional item you buy, not required to progress. It turns out you NEED to buy an item, and it just so happens to be the most expensive item in the shop. You have to KNOW to save up your currency. The setting for the game is a summer camp for psychics as an overworld, and the main levels of the game are inside people's minds. For example, there is a mind that looks like a war zone, a mind that looks like a theater, and a mind that looks like a board game. The difficulty curve of the puzzles dramatically increases at one point of the game to where it becomes a 90 degree angle. Some of the platforming gets difficult later on in the game as well, and if you aren't experienced, you will die. A LOT. But these faults are dramatically overshadowed buy the good, which is the writing which is legitimately funny, the voice acting, the art, and something that is rarely seen. The gameplay is actually FUN. So many games out there just aren't FUN anymore. They try to convince you otherwise with multiplayer or a good story, but if the gameplay is bad, then we're only fooling ourselves. I know I focussed more on the bad than the good in this review, but in a review, I need to say what went wrong so if a sequel is ever made, it will be done right. I do want a sequel, seeing as the story ends on a cliffhanger, and I would love to see what other ideas there are for the inside of minds. I want to see the mind of a gamer, the mind of a professor, the mind of a computer technician, or heck, the mind of an Amish person could be hilarious and imaginative. But like I said, this game makes it on my top 5 list easily, and it's definitely worth your money and with a campaign that is about 4 hours for a $10 game, it surely worth your time. Expand
  76. Jun 1, 2012
    Extremely impressive game, was amazed at how well the graphics look considering it's essentially a ps2 port. Biggest issue with the game is the menu navigation, which are pretty much on par with skinning a bear with a carrot. 9.6 rounds to 10.
  77. Jul 17, 2012
    Just purchased this game for next to nothing on Steam and played through the first 'mission.' I almost wish I'd paid more! It's such good fun, the creators really do deserve credit for this. It looks so sharp and fresh even though it's 7 years old, voice acting is very good and the script is funny too. A lighthearted and enjoyable game, just what you need when you have to have a break fromJust purchased this game for next to nothing on Steam and played through the first 'mission.' I almost wish I'd paid more! It's such good fun, the creators really do deserve credit for this. It looks so sharp and fresh even though it's 7 years old, voice acting is very good and the script is funny too. A lighthearted and enjoyable game, just what you need when you have to have a break from killing orcs or bringing down the combine :) It's a 10/10 for it's genre, but rating it 9 because I think that only games like Bioshock and Half Life 2 really deserve full marks... Nonetheless, a happy game that I know I'll keep coming back to. Expand
  78. R-Q
    Jun 12, 2012
    Up to date, this is the best platform game I ever played. Maybe not in terms of gameplay - there are some performing as well - for example Rayman 3, Kao the Kangaroo or various console platformers. But visual aspect of Psychonauts, themes and motifs make this game a piece of modern art. I highly recommend this inspiration for "Inception" movie.
  79. Jul 11, 2012
    In my latest obsession with indie games, this is the best one I've played so far. The concept of going into people's minds and gaining clues, sorting their emotional baggage, and just looking around in the "world as they see it" is fun and interesting (as well as creative). One of the levels is the mind of a mutated lungfish; it doesn't get much more creative than that! It's much easierIn my latest obsession with indie games, this is the best one I've played so far. The concept of going into people's minds and gaining clues, sorting their emotional baggage, and just looking around in the "world as they see it" is fun and interesting (as well as creative). One of the levels is the mind of a mutated lungfish; it doesn't get much more creative than that! It's much easier to play with a controller than the keyboard, but there really aren't any problems with the keyboard, either. The camera angles are a little strange and takes some getting used to (especially in the last level), but there are more positives than negatives with this game. The cut-scenes range from curious to hilarious, and though it feels short before the main plot is revealed, you still get to know a good amount of the characters. Some parts require thinking, and the last level really takes patience, but it's just the sort of game that you can play over and over again. Expand
  80. Jul 22, 2012
    Bestes Jumpn Run Game das ich kenne !!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  81. Jul 21, 2012
    Psychonauts is one of the best games ever made. In the same league with, say, Bioshock and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It is incredibly funny, brilliantly written and designed, and was a huge amount of fun. That said, the jump&run game play is not always perfect, and sometimes frustrating, so it's not perfect. But the brilliance of the story, the visuals, and the writing make up forPsychonauts is one of the best games ever made. In the same league with, say, Bioshock and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It is incredibly funny, brilliantly written and designed, and was a huge amount of fun. That said, the jump&run game play is not always perfect, and sometimes frustrating, so it's not perfect. But the brilliance of the story, the visuals, and the writing make up for small-ish game play problems, at least for me. If you've never played it, do it now! Expand
  82. Sep 26, 2012
    Best game I ever played! The characters are fantastic, the plot is crazy as the level disegn... A strange and funny travel in the maze of our minds. Is Tim Schafer a genius? Maybe... but this game is really perfect in every aspect. Congratulations to all the team that worked in this beautiful piece of art.
    Please, don't miss this masterpiece of irony and level design!
  83. Nov 23, 2012
    I originally played this back on the original Xbox and it remains one of my favorite games of all time. The storyline and art style of Psychonauts just oozes with originality and the characters are some of the most memorable ever to appear in a game title.

As a platformer, this is a pretty standard Mario style
  84. Jun 3, 2013
    I love Psychonauts it is the best game I have ever played. The funniest level was the Milkman Conspiracy. And my favourite level was Lungfishopolis. It is so amazing and imaginative.

You should check it out too.
    (Louisa Sweeney London, Aged, 7).
  85. Mar 8, 2013
    The most unappreciated game of our generation. This game is a perfect example of what makes games fun. This game made me feel the way I did as a kid first discovering games. Genius humor and level creation. I have never laughed harder or been more surprised by plot twists. I cannot recommend this game enough. I have set this game as a benchmark for every game I play from then on andThe most unappreciated game of our generation. This game is a perfect example of what makes games fun. This game made me feel the way I did as a kid first discovering games. Genius humor and level creation. I have never laughed harder or been more surprised by plot twists. I cannot recommend this game enough. I have set this game as a benchmark for every game I play from then on and they all fall short. Long live the Milk Man. Expand
  86. Jul 5, 2014
    Aside from a few poorly explained controls this was a really fun and original game. The plot is strange, the dialogue is humorous, and the levels each offer something new and different from one another. Unfortunately, the cutscenes are low res, but for a game from 2005 that's to be expected.
  87. Feb 6, 2014
    I throw 10s around more often than I should to boost a rating of a game I really consider a 9.5 or 9.7 maybe, but there are very few games I consider perfect. This is one of them.

The levels are mental, quite literally, the dialogue is perfectly written and well delivered, the gameplay is fun and the concept is unique. The art style, even, was like anything before it.
  88. Jul 19, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. The plot is unusual and original. Dialogues and situations are full of old style adventure's characteristic humor. The gameplay is fun, never boring, gives the ability to use many kinds of gadgets and mental power, exploring various and colorful places through the "mind" levels of the characters, dreamlike, insane and brilliant at the same time. AnOne of the best games of all time. The plot is unusual and original. Dialogues and situations are full of old style adventure's characteristic humor. The gameplay is fun, never boring, gives the ability to use many kinds of gadgets and mental power, exploring various and colorful places through the "mind" levels of the characters, dreamlike, insane and brilliant at the same time. An absolute masterpiece of its genre. Expand
  89. Aug 1, 2013
    Easily my favorite game. The story and characters are awesome. The gameplay and voice-acting are top notch. The soundtrack is AMAZING. Wish I could rate it higher Still waiting on that sequel Double Fine; will pre-order it, hands down.
  90. Dec 2, 2014
    Psychonauts does what few games can manage to do, have a good story, great comedy, and fun game play. This game is a diamond in the rough that everyone should play.
  91. Nov 23, 2013
    Just started a metacritic account so thought I'd jot a quick word about one of my all time favourites games: Psychonauts. Funny, artistic and lovable. The fact that this games makes use of innovative platform mechanics can help but come second to the fact that the characters and comedic writing is so captivating. We love it.
  92. Dec 29, 2013
    The writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land ofThe writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land of Mr. Johnny Testosterone Space Marine and Mrs. Sassy Action Chick.
    The gameplay is intresting, but it has it’s flaws (they might be forgivable), the psychic powers are awesome and the boss fights really require skill, every boss has it’s own weak spot, you have to deduce it by watching it’s attacks. On the other hand the camera can be a little female dog some times. The combat outside the boss fights is kind of meh. The difficulty curve is a little bit messed up, there were sequences near the end that almost made break my keyboard. However I never stopped playing it, because I really wanted to see the ending, and I haven’t left disappointed.
    The ending promised a sequel and I really hope to see the day when Psychonauts 2 will be released!
  93. Apr 20, 2014
    Psychonauts is one the best games I have ever Played because it is fully original, it is just plain fun and so much more. If one of your friends says it is a bad game don't listen to them!
  94. Nov 15, 2014
    Easily one of my five favourite games. Psychonauts is genuinely funny, remembering that idiosyncratic characters have always been key to good comedy. I was also impressed by the big themes that the game tackled: mental illness, child-parent relationships and trauma being among them. For all this Psychonauts is never heavy-handed or frivolous in its treatment of these concerns.

The

The gameplay is incredibly solid, keeping enough variation to keep the audience engaged. Each level offers different challenges and objectives, never lingering too long at a certain point, but without straying from core mechanics. I wouldn't say it's perfect, and it times the 'collect-a-thon' elements are a bit tiresome, but aside from this Psychonauts is a game of incredible merit and creativity.
  95. Mar 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember seeing this advertised a bit as a kid in the year 2005. Seemed pretty popular, but never got to play it myself. However, recently Steam had one of those NSFW (Not Safe For Wallet) Sales going on over Thanksgiving Weekend and I saw this in the list of games with discounts. So I bought it along with a bunch of other games I may never get to play any time soon. I would just like to share some of the experiences I had playing it.

You play as Rasputin (or just Raz for short), a 10 year old boy with psychic powers who runs away from home to avoid his father's prejudiced attitude towards psychics. He ventures into Whispering Rock Summer Camp to learn how to become a Psychonaut. Psychonauts are a group of individuals capable of using psychic powers and do so for the greater good (i.e. super heroes). Now they don't quite accept Raz at first, but they see he has incredible potential as they can't even read his mind even with their combined efforts. Thus Raz begins to learn how to utilize his psychic abilities.

Now this game is more of an adventure type of game with some puzzles involved. You enter people's heads and make your way through their subconscious, their memories, and all of their thoughts. The gameplay itself was nicely done, but the best part of the game is what you see. I saw the thoughts of a man who dreamt of being in the military, so his mind reflected a battlefield with tanks, planes, bombs, land mines, and ...rabbits? Whatever. You can see some of the more personal thoughts by unlocking vaults. It is revealed that even though this man dreamt of being a 5 star general, he never became one because he never got into the military. He was rejected due to being too short.

I saw many other things in other people's heads and noticed how it affected their behavior. For example, this one person was a simple night guard, but what was really off about him was his constant muttering and the strange drawings surrounding him. He seemed to be trying to connect clues and hints to answer one question: "Who is the Milkman?" The level representing his thoughts consisted of TONS of private investigators looking for something (or someone) and objects that followed you everywhere! This place made me very paranoid and some locations I couldn't enter without the right "disguise." These disguises were literally just items. No clothing, just items. Apparently holding a plunger makes you look like a "Sewer Maintenance Worker" to these identical and ubiquitous investigators. Also running around were these little innocent looking girls selling cookies. Some of them could be found whispering into bushes, trash cans, and dog houses as if they were talking to someone. They just looked crazy to me.

But then it all began to make sense after viewing one of the vaults. A person who looked exactly like the night guard was seen in the vault lighting a bottle of milk and using it as a Molotov Cocktail Explosive! It suddenly dawned on me that the man whose mind I occupied IS the Milkman! The investigators represented his mind searching for the conspirator and the little girls symbolized his innocence and ignorance for this man was blissfully unaware that he had done such things. Once everything had been fixed and settled, I left and the night guard seemed more stable. He still lit the building on fire, but at least he found out who he was.

This may seem like a pointless thing, but get this: things like this can apply to reality. Granted, we cannot venture into the minds of other people physically, but through therapy (also known as "communicating") we can find out a person's mental issues and fix them. Anyone who is mentally sick is genuinely sick and curable! We don't just let them destroy themselves.

But that epiphany aside, this game was amazing. The characters are memorable, the gameplay was smooth, the levels were well designed, the difficulty didn't spike too high or fall too short of expectations, and not once did I think "When does this end?" in a negative way. I really didn't want it to end. I felt like I only explored just a few of the minds. Maybe a sequel or spiritual successor of this game will be made.

1. Psychonauts doesn't reinvent the platformer, but it still delivers an experience that feels wholly original in every aspect of its execution.
    It's a brilliant debut for Double Fine, and here's hoping it's just the start of what we can expect to see from them.
  3. A triumph of art direction, a prime example of exquisite aesthetics and of how well an imaginary world can be beautifully conceived.