Psychonauts PC

8.9

1. Jun 21, 2017
    "Inception" the game
    and the BEST GAME DESIGN EVER!
    Incredibly creative classic in which must-play!
    __________________________________________________
  2. Mar 26, 2017
    The most creative and hilarious 3D platformer I've ever played, and I didn't touch it until 10 years after its release! Worth playing if you're a fan of games like Banjo-Kazooie and Ratchet & Clank, or if you're a fan of creepy kid's show humor like Invader Zim.
  3. Dec 5, 2016
    Az első Tim Schafer játék amivel játszottam és azonnal belopta magát a szívembe. Akkoriban ilyen eszméletlenül szórakoztató játékot még nem láttam. Agyak, traumák és pszichedelikus tábor, kell ennél több?
  4. Nov 30, 2016
    My FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME, and probably one of the BEST GAMES EVER. Okay, not the best game ever, I'll admit it, but I would like to think it is. The PC controls suck, yes, but if you use an Xbox controller it's no problem. This was never meant to be a PC game anyways, it was designed for consoles, and if you play it with a controller the way it was meant to be played it is an absoluteMy FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME, and probably one of the BEST GAMES EVER. Okay, not the best game ever, I'll admit it, but I would like to think it is. The PC controls suck, yes, but if you use an Xbox controller it's no problem. This was never meant to be a PC game anyways, it was designed for consoles, and if you play it with a controller the way it was meant to be played it is an absolute dream. Pretty literally in fact, considering what the game's actually about.

There are a lot of platformers out there which, I'm sure, are mechanically much better than this. By today's standards the physics are wonky, the graphics, which often evoke a very unique modernistic 60s style, are quite dated, but the story? The characters? The worlds, the secrets, the twists? Awesome. Such an excellent well-developed world, full of mystery and intrigue, it all feels like the best cartoon show never made. I'm so glad they're making the sequel because there are a ton of things they touched on in this game which they could only have scratched the surface of back in 2005 - that plus the agony DF went through developing this game (which is recounted in a documentary retrospective on their YouTube channel). And there are so many hidden things in the overworld, lots of conversations and events that keep me coming back from time to time to revisit the characters and their stories - though I'm pretty sure I've seen most if not all of it by now.

I could honestly go on about it for ages, but what could I say that hasn't already been said? Just play it! (P.S. The final level really isn't that hard when taken out of context. It's just a bit of a difficulty spike from the rest of the game. Look up how to do it on YouTube once. I find that after beating it one time it's VERY VERY doable the second time around. It's not even the whole level, it's really only two fifths of the entire level that are hard - the escort mission, and the rising water obstacle course, and both are reasonably easy once you know the way through. If you love the game enough just keep trying. It's not impossible, and the payoff, the completing of this awesomely awesome game and the culmination of its excellent story, is HUGE.)
  5. Oct 20, 2016
    Абсолютный шедевр.
    Сюжет, персонажи, стиль, геймплей, дизайн уровней, графика, атмосфера и т.п. выполнены на твёрдую десятку.
    Одна из лучших игр за всё время.
    Браво,аплодирую стоя!
  6. Feb 10, 2016
    This comes very close to being a "perfect game".

Compelling story and characters, very fun and dynamic game and best of it is intelligent and it really left an impression on me - the kind of feeling from reading a worthwhile book, or great movie, or awesome game. One reviewer said that it includes a knowledge of a Masters level of Psychology, and I think that is what makes this game
    This comes very close to being a "perfect game".

One reviewer said that it includes a knowledge of a Masters level of Psychology, and I think that is what makes this game so awesome and unique; it comes from an intelligent background of Psychology and of History.

There is room for customization for your character, and each level is dynamic and unique. The artwork is phenomenal, and the characters (and character work) grow on you. Also it is full of very witty humour along the way.

I suppose the only flaws are that I wish the game was longer, or there was a sequel as there could be a lot more to explore with the world and the characters - although there are 'collect everything' features to this game for those who enjoy the 100% completion.

Definitely a must play for any single-player advocates!
  7. Jan 19, 2016
    Game is amazing whole time playing was pure ecstasy great game #2 will be even better this games combination of humor, storyline , and gameplay simply put orgasmic not much can compare to good ol' psychonauts 10/10
  8. Jan 19, 2016
    Psychonauts is the greatest game of all time, nothing can be compared to it. It's about as good as The Last of Us is bad. Absolutely cannot wait for Psychonauts 2 to come out and finally have a new amazing game on the market
  9. Jan 19, 2016
    Raz has the same voice as Zim from the TV show Invader Zim. That sold me on Psychonauts. Good gameplay etc. etc. the creativity etc. generic praise here.
  10. Jan 15, 2016
    Let's tackle this one thing at a time.First off,the gameplay is very solid.It doesn't reinvent the platformer per se,but it incorporates the main character's psychic powers so well into itself that it feels kinda original.Though,using telekinesis can be a bit inprecise.The art style is pretty cool and very reminiscent of Nightmare before Christmas.The game's main attraction is theLet's tackle this one thing at a time.First off,the gameplay is very solid.It doesn't reinvent the platformer per se,but it incorporates the main character's psychic powers so well into itself that it feels kinda original.Though,using telekinesis can be a bit inprecise.The art style is pretty cool and very reminiscent of Nightmare before Christmas.The game's main attraction is the writing,which is awesome.Every character is memorable and there are some legitimately funny moments(mostly in funny comebacks,not resorting to toilet humour or racism.Much like any joke that you'd see in a Saturday morning cartoon),although the game isn't very emotionally evocative.This game is just here for you to have a good time.That being said,this game is nothing close to simple when it comes to creativity:some levels and some characters will be embedded in your mind for a long time.If I had to name one bigger problem with the game,it'd be the difficulty.It's way too easy throughout most of it,and then at the end it ramps up like hell.However,in the end,this game is good and you should play it. Expand
  11. Nov 27, 2015
    Psychonauts is a masterpiece! Now I usually wouldn't give a game such a high rating however I truly believe that Psychonauts deserves it. This game plays out kind've like a Pixar animation just much much darker. Like be prepared for some dark stuff in this game. The story is top notch and entertaining. The gameplay is great aswell. The characters are all interesting and funny. The music isPsychonauts is a masterpiece! Now I usually wouldn't give a game such a high rating however I truly believe that Psychonauts deserves it. This game plays out kind've like a Pixar animation just much much darker. Like be prepared for some dark stuff in this game. The story is top notch and entertaining. The gameplay is great aswell. The characters are all interesting and funny. The music is amazing! My only complaint with Psychonauts is that the first few hours of the game feel more like a tutorial rather than actual gameplay. But other than that this game is great. I would rate it a 9/10. A must buy! Expand
  12. Jul 24, 2015
    I would say one of top 5 pc games ever created, next to NOLF1, Dues Ex1, Grim Fandango, Diablo 2.

It's a dirty filthy whore near the end, but just keep trying! Most people drop out at meat circus, so test your old school skills to the max! Difficulty is beyond insane, be warned. Good Luck young brainless campers!
  13. Jun 27, 2015
    Everyone should go buy this game right now.
    Seriously. It's on Xbox Live, PSN(America only), and Steam for just $9.99. It's a very under-looked game that needs more attention.
    GO NOW. PLAY IT.
  14. May 29, 2015
    Easily one of the best platformer games, in Psychonauts you play as Raz, a boy that has unique psychic powers and wants to become a Psychonaut (something like a super hero). In order to do that, he has gone to a training camp. This game excels in story telling, humour and the overall complexity. You can walk around the camp and talk to all children, you will be visiting people's minds toEasily one of the best platformer games, in Psychonauts you play as Raz, a boy that has unique psychic powers and wants to become a Psychonaut (something like a super hero). In order to do that, he has gone to a training camp. This game excels in story telling, humour and the overall complexity. You can walk around the camp and talk to all children, you will be visiting people's minds to solve their problems and take part in uncovering the huge conspiracy that's happening in the world.

The platforming in this game is simply brilliant and level feels completely different and is filled with unique ideas. Just to give you an example, you'll visit a level that is basically a large cube, as the person whose mind you're going to visit is an organized one.

Combat is fun as well and there are a lot of things to collect in this game if you are a fan of that. You'll be acquiring new powers and abilities as you go, making you a better and better fighter. The game is pretty long, the art style is great, the story and characters are simply phenomenal, all the levels are unique and varied and the game never stops to be great fun. if you haven't played this game yet and you like platformers, this is your dream come true.

I didn't gave this game a 10 because of the following reasons:
    - No sequel even though the ending suggests continuation
    - Some portions can be quite annoying (such as the bull level, good luck finding everything there)
    - The bosses are too easy
    - The controls are not always precise
  15. Mar 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember seeing this advertised a bit as a kid in the year 2005. Seemed pretty popular, but never got to play it myself. However, recently Steam had one of those NSFW (Not Safe For Wallet) Sales going on over Thanksgiving Weekend and I saw this in the list of games with discounts. So I bought it along with a bunch of other games I may never get to play any time soon. I would just like to share some of the experiences I had playing it.

You play as Rasputin (or just Raz for short), a 10 year old boy with psychic powers who runs away from home to avoid his father's prejudiced attitude towards psychics. He ventures into Whispering Rock Summer Camp to learn how to become a Psychonaut. Psychonauts are a group of individuals capable of using psychic powers and do so for the greater good (i.e. super heroes). Now they don't quite accept Raz at first, but they see he has incredible potential as they can't even read his mind even with their combined efforts. Thus Raz begins to learn how to utilize his psychic abilities.

Now this game is more of an adventure type of game with some puzzles involved. You enter people's heads and make your way through their subconscious, their memories, and all of their thoughts. The gameplay itself was nicely done, but the best part of the game is what you see. I saw the thoughts of a man who dreamt of being in the military, so his mind reflected a battlefield with tanks, planes, bombs, land mines, and ...rabbits? Whatever. You can see some of the more personal thoughts by unlocking vaults. It is revealed that even though this man dreamt of being a 5 star general, he never became one because he never got into the military. He was rejected due to being too short.

I saw many other things in other people's heads and noticed how it affected their behavior. For example, this one person was a simple night guard, but what was really off about him was his constant muttering and the strange drawings surrounding him. He seemed to be trying to connect clues and hints to answer one question: "Who is the Milkman?" The level representing his thoughts consisted of TONS of private investigators looking for something (or someone) and objects that followed you everywhere! This place made me very paranoid and some locations I couldn't enter without the right "disguise." These disguises were literally just items. No clothing, just items. Apparently holding a plunger makes you look like a "Sewer Maintenance Worker" to these identical and ubiquitous investigators. Also running around were these little innocent looking girls selling cookies. Some of them could be found whispering into bushes, trash cans, and dog houses as if they were talking to someone. They just looked crazy to me.

But then it all began to make sense after viewing one of the vaults. A person who looked exactly like the night guard was seen in the vault lighting a bottle of milk and using it as a Molotov Cocktail Explosive! It suddenly dawned on me that the man whose mind I occupied IS the Milkman! The investigators represented his mind searching for the conspirator and the little girls symbolized his innocence and ignorance for this man was blissfully unaware that he had done such things. Once everything had been fixed and settled, I left and the night guard seemed more stable. He still lit the building on fire, but at least he found out who he was.

This may seem like a pointless thing, but get this: things like this can apply to reality. Granted, we cannot venture into the minds of other people physically, but through therapy (also known as "communicating") we can find out a person's mental issues and fix them. Anyone who is mentally sick is genuinely sick and curable! We don't just let them destroy themselves.

But that epiphany aside, this game was amazing. The characters are memorable, the gameplay was smooth, the levels were well designed, the difficulty didn't spike too high or fall too short of expectations, and not once did I think "When does this end?" in a negative way. I really didn't want it to end. I felt like I only explored just a few of the minds. Maybe a sequel or spiritual successor of this game will be made.
  16. Dec 2, 2014
    Psychonauts does what few games can manage to do, have a good story, great comedy, and fun game play. This game is a diamond in the rough that everyone should play.
  17. Nov 15, 2014
    Easily one of my five favourite games. Psychonauts is genuinely funny, remembering that idiosyncratic characters have always been key to good comedy. I was also impressed by the big themes that the game tackled: mental illness, child-parent relationships and trauma being among them. For all this Psychonauts is never heavy-handed or frivolous in its treatment of these concerns.

The

The gameplay is incredibly solid, keeping enough variation to keep the audience engaged. Each level offers different challenges and objectives, never lingering too long at a certain point, but without straying from core mechanics. I wouldn't say it's perfect, and it times the 'collect-a-thon' elements are a bit tiresome, but aside from this Psychonauts is a game of incredible merit and creativity.
  18. Aug 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Psychonauts is a big game for such a small team. Most of the time the gameplay is engaging and fun, and the storyline has a kind of whimsy to it that I miss from my childhood days of gaming. Still, there are hiccups to the gameplay - places where it's no longer fun, but a slog. Notable mentions include the Lungfish level, the Bonaparte level, and a few boss battles which are devastatingly boring. These are matched by some utterly brilliant levels including the arduous but curious Milkman level, as well as one of my favorite levels ever: Black Velvetopia. A good mix, and overall a great game, especially considering you can pick it up for the price of a couple of tacos these days. Expand
  19. Jul 5, 2014
    Aside from a few poorly explained controls this was a really fun and original game. The plot is strange, the dialogue is humorous, and the levels each offer something new and different from one another. Unfortunately, the cutscenes are low res, but for a game from 2005 that's to be expected.
  20. Apr 20, 2014
    Psychonauts is one the best games I have ever Played because it is fully original, it is just plain fun and so much more. If one of your friends says it is a bad game don't listen to them!
  21. Mar 1, 2014
    The story and level design certainly are original, and it was fun to play. However, wonky controls and sometimes horrendous camera control bring the score down a couple notches. 20 hours of game play make it definitely worth the money though.
  22. Feb 6, 2014
    I throw 10s around more often than I should to boost a rating of a game I really consider a 9.5 or 9.7 maybe, but there are very few games I consider perfect. This is one of them.

The levels are mental, quite literally, the dialogue is perfectly written and well delivered, the gameplay is fun and the concept is unique. The art style, even, was like anything before it.
  23. Dec 29, 2013
    The writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land ofThe writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land of Mr. Johnny Testosterone Space Marine and Mrs. Sassy Action Chick.
    The gameplay is intresting, but it has it’s flaws (they might be forgivable), the psychic powers are awesome and the boss fights really require skill, every boss has it’s own weak spot, you have to deduce it by watching it’s attacks. On the other hand the camera can be a little female dog some times. The combat outside the boss fights is kind of meh. The difficulty curve is a little bit messed up, there were sequences near the end that almost made break my keyboard. However I never stopped playing it, because I really wanted to see the ending, and I haven’t left disappointed.
    The ending promised a sequel and I really hope to see the day when Psychonauts 2 will be released!
  24. Nov 23, 2013
    Just started a metacritic account so thought I'd jot a quick word about one of my all time favourites games: Psychonauts. Funny, artistic and lovable. The fact that this games makes use of innovative platform mechanics can help but come second to the fact that the characters and comedic writing is so captivating. We love it.
  25. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. probably the most original game ever, psychonauts was one of my favorites growing up. i got it on steam and all i can say is, i understand why i liked it so much. you play as a kid named raz, short for razputin, a kid who has phychic abilities. so you naturally run away from your home (the circus) and sneak in the camp. after a funny intro sequence, you can explore the overworld. there's not much in it yet, but it's fun to collect arrowheads, the games currency, in between levels. you soon discover where the levels take place, in peoples minds. after you beat the first level named "basic braining" you can explore the whole camp. you soon get invited to special training by psychonaut sasha nein. so after you go to his training facility you get in his mind and unlock psi blasts. the next levels have you going in your own mind, having to leave the the level twice to unlock powerups to progress. eventually your love interest lilli gets abducted by a lake monster called a lungfish. after a meh boss you go in it's mind where you are a godzilla monster named goggalor with one objective, destroy everything. you soon befriend the lungfish (her name's linda) and she takes you to an insane asylum conveniently placed near the camp where all you have to collect your fellow camper's brains. the minds you go through consist of a level where you try to solve a mystery and find out who the milkman is, a theater, a risk style board game featuring fred and napolean bonaparte, and my favorite, black velvetopia, a place that has you joining wrestling matches to build a tower of cards and fight a bull. once you climb up to the end of the asylum, you meet sheegor, who is voiced by tara strong also, raz is voiced by the person who was invader zim). you soon fight your corrupted camp leader's brain in a "brain tank". but once you win, the tank pours out sneezing powder that causes you to sneeze your brain out. you then launch your brain in the tank and your minds collide, causing the next and final level to be a mix between both your minds. this level is also notoriously hard and honestly, i don't see why. even as a kid i beat it without dieing once. after that you fight the last boss, but not before you unlock your super form. while this boss is easy, it's epic. then the game is over. Expand
  26. Aug 1, 2013
    Easily my favorite game. The story and characters are awesome. The gameplay and voice-acting are top notch. The soundtrack is AMAZING. Wish I could rate it higher Still waiting on that sequel Double Fine; will pre-order it, hands down.
  27. Jul 28, 2013
    The gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up ourThe gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up our character by using psycards and mental cowebbs in weird machines.

What makes this game shine above others, besides the sense of humour, is its level design. Each level is a crazy world on its own and they range from a Godzilla-sentai level to a meat-filled circus and, my favourite, a Waterloo-battle game board. In this level, we go from the traditional board perspective requiring to move pieces [with our psychic powers] to actually being inside the board world as if it were a regular a level and we keep going between these two "dimensions" of gameplay.

There are some issues with the default controls, especially if you are using the keyboard-and-mouse combination but, fortunately, we can customize almost everything and even the camera pitch, which is extremely important for me since I prefer the inverted vertical control.

Graphically, the game looks vibrant and the engine handles things well. It is a pleasure to look at the characters and levels because they have been cleverly designed with a lot of "personality".

Psychonauts is a platformer like many others but its heart does not lie in its platforming roots but in its "psychoticness".

Funny story, crazy characters and witty level designs make it a must-play

Give it a try!

Gameplay: 9

Art: 10

///------TOTAL: 9 [rounded]------///
  28. Jul 19, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. The plot is unusual and original. Dialogues and situations are full of old style adventure's characteristic humor. The gameplay is fun, never boring, gives the ability to use many kinds of gadgets and mental power, exploring various and colorful places through the "mind" levels of the characters, dreamlike, insane and brilliant at the same time. AnOne of the best games of all time. The plot is unusual and original. Dialogues and situations are full of old style adventure's characteristic humor. The gameplay is fun, never boring, gives the ability to use many kinds of gadgets and mental power, exploring various and colorful places through the "mind" levels of the characters, dreamlike, insane and brilliant at the same time. An absolute masterpiece of its genre. Expand
  29. Jun 24, 2013
    I like this game. Get tired of 2D platformers and found out this is good, 3D platformers still wins in many ways to me. In the 2D platformers all i got is just, walk left, right, jump up jump down, which kind of boring to me. I'm using a joystick to play this game, excellent gaming experience. The graphic are nice, I like the way the game developer do the things in this game. Great and aI like this game. Get tired of 2D platformers and found out this is good, 3D platformers still wins in many ways to me. In the 2D platformers all i got is just, walk left, right, jump up jump down, which kind of boring to me. I'm using a joystick to play this game, excellent gaming experience. The graphic are nice, I like the way the game developer do the things in this game. Great and a must play game. Expand
  30. Jun 3, 2013
    I love Psychonauts it is the best game I have ever played. The funniest level was the Milkman Conspiracy. And my favourite level was Lungfishopolis. It is so amazing and imaginative.

You should check it out too.
    (Louisa Sweeney London, Aged, 7).

1. Psychonauts doesn't reinvent the platformer, but it still delivers an experience that feels wholly original in every aspect of its execution.
    It's a brilliant debut for Double Fine, and here's hoping it's just the start of what we can expect to see from them.
  3. A triumph of art direction, a prime example of exquisite aesthetics and of how well an imaginary world can be beautifully conceived.