Psychonauts PC

8.9

1. Oct 20, 2016
    Абсолютный шедевр.
    Сюжет, персонажи, стиль, геймплей, дизайн уровней, графика, атмосфера и т.п. выполнены на твёрдую десятку.
    Одна из лучших игр за всё время.
    Браво,аплодирую стоя!
  2. May 29, 2015
    Easily one of the best platformer games, in Psychonauts you play as Raz, a boy that has unique psychic powers and wants to become a Psychonaut (something like a super hero). In order to do that, he has gone to a training camp. This game excels in story telling, humour and the overall complexity. You can walk around the camp and talk to all children, you will be visiting people's minds toEasily one of the best platformer games, in Psychonauts you play as Raz, a boy that has unique psychic powers and wants to become a Psychonaut (something like a super hero). In order to do that, he has gone to a training camp. This game excels in story telling, humour and the overall complexity. You can walk around the camp and talk to all children, you will be visiting people's minds to solve their problems and take part in uncovering the huge conspiracy that's happening in the world.

The platforming in this game is simply brilliant and level feels completely different and is filled with unique ideas. Just to give you an example, you'll visit a level that is basically a large cube, as the person whose mind you're going to visit is an organized one.

Combat is fun as well and there are a lot of things to collect in this game if you are a fan of that. You'll be acquiring new powers and abilities as you go, making you a better and better fighter. The game is pretty long, the art style is great, the story and characters are simply phenomenal, all the levels are unique and varied and the game never stops to be great fun. if you haven't played this game yet and you like platformers, this is your dream come true.

I didn't gave this game a 10 because of the following reasons:
    - No sequel even though the ending suggests continuation
    - Some portions can be quite annoying (such as the bull level, good luck finding everything there)
    - The bosses are too easy
    - The controls are not always precise
  3. Jun 27, 2015
    Everyone should go buy this game right now.
    Seriously. It's on Xbox Live, PSN(America only), and Steam for just $9.99. It's a very under-looked game that needs more attention.
    GO NOW. PLAY IT.
  4. Dec 5, 2016
    Az első Tim Schafer játék amivel játszottam és azonnal belopta magát a szívembe. Akkoriban ilyen eszméletlenül szórakoztató játékot még nem láttam. Agyak, traumák és pszichedelikus tábor, kell ennél több?
  5. Mar 26, 2017
    The most creative and hilarious 3D platformer I've ever played, and I didn't touch it until 10 years after its release! Worth playing if you're a fan of games like Banjo-Kazooie and Ratchet & Clank, or if you're a fan of creepy kid's show humor like Invader Zim.
  6. Jul 5, 2014
    Aside from a few poorly explained controls this was a really fun and original game. The plot is strange, the dialogue is humorous, and the levels each offer something new and different from one another. Unfortunately, the cutscenes are low res, but for a game from 2005 that's to be expected.
  7. Aug 8, 2012
    Pleasantly satisfying gameplay is combined with beautiful environments, outstanding humor and an interesting and developed story to make Psychonauts a must have for gamepad owners! The memorable adventure at 30 hours completion with 100% achievements on Steam makes Psychonauts quite the bang for your buck.
  8. Jul 22, 2012
    Bestes Jumpn Run Game das ich kenne !!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  9. Feb 6, 2014
    I throw 10s around more often than I should to boost a rating of a game I really consider a 9.5 or 9.7 maybe, but there are very few games I consider perfect. This is one of them.

The levels are mental, quite literally, the dialogue is perfectly written and well delivered, the gameplay is fun and the concept is unique. The art style, even, was like anything before it.
  10. Apr 5, 2012
    Certainly doesn't have amazing graphics but it does have a good art style. The gameplay is... a bit bland and clunky. I can't give this more than a 8, it's just not that well. Fun.
  11. Oct 1, 2011
    First of all: Get this game. Really. If you're even remotely interested in either adventure or platform genre, get this game. Here's why Psychonauts gets a (almost) perfect 10 from my account.

I love games that delve into the psyche of one another, and Psychonauts does so in a very clear and fun way. Possibly inspired by Being John Malcovic you simply place a door on someones head and then you can step right in. Each character you enter has his or own -mostly traumatic- issues you get to deal with, causing each level to be completely different in terms of style and goal. So instead of your typical "go and fetch me a shrubbery" type of quest it's more like "jump inside and put my mind straight"

This game has what I think is the Tim Schafer signature in terms of dialogue, humor and originality. Meaning you get the same feeling when playing the first Monkey Island or Sam and Max games, or Day of The Tentacle. Yet it's not a point and click adventure game, since you're running around in a 3D environment playing all kinds of acrobatic stunts (after all, you were raised as an acrobat). Psychonauts combines my two favourite genres, adventure and (3D) platforming, adding a compelling and original storyline and interesting, divers characters. There's a big gaming world for you to explore, and you'll never guess (right) what's coming next. The voicecasting is awesome imho, and graphically this game does not let down in any way. I do have to admit one thing though: I have never finished it. The very last level was just too hard for me, and I got frustrated every time. I believe it also had to do with some weird camera angles at that point which didn't work out for me. Nevertheless I didn't find that reason enough to rate this game any lower than 10. It's just that much fun.

So now that it's ont steam I'll be buying this gem again. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get to finish it this time..
  12. Jan 19, 2016
    Raz has the same voice as Zim from the TV show Invader Zim. That sold me on Psychonauts. Good gameplay etc. etc. the creativity etc. generic praise here.
  13. Nov 23, 2012
    I originally played this back on the original Xbox and it remains one of my favorite games of all time. The storyline and art style of Psychonauts just oozes with originality and the characters are some of the most memorable ever to appear in a game title.

As a platformer, this is a pretty standard Mario style
  14. Oct 14, 2011
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant. This is what a platformer should be. It is one of the most original and fun games I have ever played. If you're a fan of platformers, you should buy psychonauts right now. My only real complaint is that the camera angle can sometimes screw you up at ONE point in the game, but that's it. When that's the only discernable flaw that a game has, it deserves a 10.
  15. Nov 15, 2014
    Easily one of my five favourite games. Psychonauts is genuinely funny, remembering that idiosyncratic characters have always been key to good comedy. I was also impressed by the big themes that the game tackled: mental illness, child-parent relationships and trauma being among them. For all this Psychonauts is never heavy-handed or frivolous in its treatment of these concerns.

The

The gameplay is incredibly solid, keeping enough variation to keep the audience engaged. Each level offers different challenges and objectives, never lingering too long at a certain point, but without straying from core mechanics. I wouldn't say it's perfect, and it times the 'collect-a-thon' elements are a bit tiresome, but aside from this Psychonauts is a game of incredible merit and creativity.
  16. Jan 15, 2016
    Let's tackle this one thing at a time.First off,the gameplay is very solid.It doesn't reinvent the platformer per se,but it incorporates the main character's psychic powers so well into itself that it feels kinda original.Though,using telekinesis can be a bit inprecise.The art style is pretty cool and very reminiscent of Nightmare before Christmas.The game's main attraction is theLet's tackle this one thing at a time.First off,the gameplay is very solid.It doesn't reinvent the platformer per se,but it incorporates the main character's psychic powers so well into itself that it feels kinda original.Though,using telekinesis can be a bit inprecise.The art style is pretty cool and very reminiscent of Nightmare before Christmas.The game's main attraction is the writing,which is awesome.Every character is memorable and there are some legitimately funny moments(mostly in funny comebacks,not resorting to toilet humour or racism.Much like any joke that you'd see in a Saturday morning cartoon),although the game isn't very emotionally evocative.This game is just here for you to have a good time.That being said,this game is nothing close to simple when it comes to creativity:some levels and some characters will be embedded in your mind for a long time.If I had to name one bigger problem with the game,it'd be the difficulty.It's way too easy throughout most of it,and then at the end it ramps up like hell.However,in the end,this game is good and you should play it. Expand
  17. May 27, 2011
    While the controls are in need of improvement on the PC, the game itself is a wonder to behold. With a very innovative world and combat system, the game continues to be a high point in the world of 3D platformers. With a few small adjustments to the camera, this game could be one of the best games of all time.
  18. Feb 21, 2012
    As a nostalgic thrill I decided to play this game again, not remembering the great humor fun combat and creative story I loved this game. The incredible mind of Tim Shaefer is yet to disappoint me.
  19. Oct 1, 2012
    Imaginative, creative, hilarious, charming, beautiful, and fun! These are the traits Psychonauts has to offer. But would you expect anything else from Tim shafer? It baffles me how well Double Fine have made this game. Not just from a technical view point, Psychonauts is a genius game. The humor and dialog are some of the best I have seen in videogames, and the characters and story blendImaginative, creative, hilarious, charming, beautiful, and fun! These are the traits Psychonauts has to offer. But would you expect anything else from Tim shafer? It baffles me how well Double Fine have made this game. Not just from a technical view point, Psychonauts is a genius game. The humor and dialog are some of the best I have seen in videogames, and the characters and story blend together in a most fitting way. There are so many lovable characters in this game, and each has something unique of their own. You get to get into the minds of various folks during the game, and each has a special vision in their brains. The story is fantastic, and geniuanly forces you to keep going. So much creativity and originality is here, I can't recommend it enough. If you like games that aren't conventional, or games that break the mold, this one is like no other. It aged very well, graphically, so you won't have a problem playing it today. A videogame masterpiece. Expand
  20. Feb 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my 3D gaming life, I only have three 10/10 games. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, and Psychonauts. Apart from being one of the most humorous games you will ever play, it is the sheer joy of the surroundings, music and dialogue, that will keep you coming back again and again.

The art style is perfect for the action adventure genre, and it has the settings for higher end graphics cards that will turn the game into a visual masterpiece. I remember playing this with a medium strength Radeon 9800SE, and then trying again with a GeForce 9800GT at Full-HD with all eye-candy enabled... It was incredible to behold.

Not to give too much away, but the final stage of the story was not thoroughly play-tested, and has some issues with camera positioning, visibility and difficulty level. In fact, the Meat Circus level is so much harder than all levels that came before it, you may well consider it impossible to complete.

Be patient, and keep trying, as the reward of completing this game, is well worth the effort (and multiple deaths incurred). Once completed, you can play this game many more times, and just walk around listening to interesting and humorous chatter among the other characters.

This game is a true classic, and was shamefully overlooked on original release. This game is still available for original XBOX, Playstation 2 and PC (via GOG.COM or Steam), so do yourself a favour and reserve a good few weeks to fully appreciate (what I consider to be) a milestone in adventure gaming.

21. Mar 12, 2012
    A great game with a fun graphic style and great sound to go with it not to mention the gameplay that is interesting and unique. The UI is also in the cartoon style and it sometimes is a bit awkward to use but why would the game have the UI any different from it's art style? Lotsa collectibles and fun storyline.
  22. Jul 28, 2013
    The gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up ourThe gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up our character by using psycards and mental cowebbs in weird machines.

What makes this game shine above others, besides the sense of humour, is its level design. Each level is a crazy world on its own and they range from a Godzilla-sentai level to a meat-filled circus and, my favourite, a Waterloo-battle game board. In this level, we go from the traditional board perspective requiring to move pieces [with our psychic powers] to actually being inside the board world as if it were a regular a level and we keep going between these two "dimensions" of gameplay.

There are some issues with the default controls, especially if you are using the keyboard-and-mouse combination but, fortunately, we can customize almost everything and even the camera pitch, which is extremely important for me since I prefer the inverted vertical control.

Graphically, the game looks vibrant and the engine handles things well. It is a pleasure to look at the characters and levels because they have been cleverly designed with a lot of "personality".

Psychonauts is a platformer like many others but its heart does not lie in its platforming roots but in its "psychoticness".

Funny story, crazy characters and witty level designs make it a must-play

Give it a try!

Gameplay: 9

Art: 10

///------TOTAL: 9 [rounded]------///
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    Psychonauts is one of the best games ever made. In the same league with, say, Bioshock and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It is incredibly funny, brilliantly written and designed, and was a huge amount of fun. That said, the jump&run game play is not always perfect, and sometimes frustrating, so it's not perfect. But the brilliance of the story, the visuals, and the writing make up forPsychonauts is one of the best games ever made. In the same league with, say, Bioshock and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It is incredibly funny, brilliantly written and designed, and was a huge amount of fun. That said, the jump&run game play is not always perfect, and sometimes frustrating, so it's not perfect. But the brilliance of the story, the visuals, and the writing make up for small-ish game play problems, at least for me. If you've never played it, do it now! Expand
  24. Dec 2, 2014
    Psychonauts does what few games can manage to do, have a good story, great comedy, and fun game play. This game is a diamond in the rough that everyone should play.
  25. Jul 24, 2015
    I would say one of top 5 pc games ever created, next to NOLF1, Dues Ex1, Grim Fandango, Diablo 2.

It's a dirty filthy whore near the end, but just keep trying! Most people drop out at meat circus, so test your old school skills to the max! Difficulty is beyond insane, be warned. Good Luck young brainless campers!
  26. Dec 13, 2011
    This 3D platforming game is superb from its creative and colorful levels to its complex and conflicted characters. As the boy Raz, you learn eight different psychic abilities for combat and exploration that range from floating around to burning things. However, the troublesome controls due to many buttons being used, the annoying camera setup, and the relentlessly difficult final levelThis 3D platforming game is superb from its creative and colorful levels to its complex and conflicted characters. As the boy Raz, you learn eight different psychic abilities for combat and exploration that range from floating around to burning things. However, the troublesome controls due to many buttons being used, the annoying camera setup, and the relentlessly difficult final level kept me from absolutely loving it. Expand
  27. Mar 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember seeing this advertised a bit as a kid in the year 2005. Seemed pretty popular, but never got to play it myself. However, recently Steam had one of those NSFW (Not Safe For Wallet) Sales going on over Thanksgiving Weekend and I saw this in the list of games with discounts. So I bought it along with a bunch of other games I may never get to play any time soon. I would just like to share some of the experiences I had playing it.

You play as Rasputin (or just Raz for short), a 10 year old boy with psychic powers who runs away from home to avoid his father's prejudiced attitude towards psychics. He ventures into Whispering Rock Summer Camp to learn how to become a Psychonaut. Psychonauts are a group of individuals capable of using psychic powers and do so for the greater good (i.e. super heroes). Now they don't quite accept Raz at first, but they see he has incredible potential as they can't even read his mind even with their combined efforts. Thus Raz begins to learn how to utilize his psychic abilities.

Now this game is more of an adventure type of game with some puzzles involved. You enter people's heads and make your way through their subconscious, their memories, and all of their thoughts. The gameplay itself was nicely done, but the best part of the game is what you see. I saw the thoughts of a man who dreamt of being in the military, so his mind reflected a battlefield with tanks, planes, bombs, land mines, and ...rabbits? Whatever. You can see some of the more personal thoughts by unlocking vaults. It is revealed that even though this man dreamt of being a 5 star general, he never became one because he never got into the military. He was rejected due to being too short.

I saw many other things in other people's heads and noticed how it affected their behavior. For example, this one person was a simple night guard, but what was really off about him was his constant muttering and the strange drawings surrounding him. He seemed to be trying to connect clues and hints to answer one question: "Who is the Milkman?" The level representing his thoughts consisted of TONS of private investigators looking for something (or someone) and objects that followed you everywhere! This place made me very paranoid and some locations I couldn't enter without the right "disguise." These disguises were literally just items. No clothing, just items. Apparently holding a plunger makes you look like a "Sewer Maintenance Worker" to these identical and ubiquitous investigators. Also running around were these little innocent looking girls selling cookies. Some of them could be found whispering into bushes, trash cans, and dog houses as if they were talking to someone. They just looked crazy to me.

But then it all began to make sense after viewing one of the vaults. A person who looked exactly like the night guard was seen in the vault lighting a bottle of milk and using it as a Molotov Cocktail Explosive! It suddenly dawned on me that the man whose mind I occupied IS the Milkman! The investigators represented his mind searching for the conspirator and the little girls symbolized his innocence and ignorance for this man was blissfully unaware that he had done such things. Once everything had been fixed and settled, I left and the night guard seemed more stable. He still lit the building on fire, but at least he found out who he was.

This may seem like a pointless thing, but get this: things like this can apply to reality. Granted, we cannot venture into the minds of other people physically, but through therapy (also known as "communicating") we can find out a person's mental issues and fix them. Anyone who is mentally sick is genuinely sick and curable! We don't just let them destroy themselves.

But that epiphany aside, this game was amazing. The characters are memorable, the gameplay was smooth, the levels were well designed, the difficulty didn't spike too high or fall too short of expectations, and not once did I think "When does this end?" in a negative way. I really didn't want it to end. I felt like I only explored just a few of the minds. Maybe a sequel or spiritual successor of this game will be made.
  28. Dec 24, 2011
    Craziest game I ever played. At first it looked like Metroid in 3d, with exploration, collecting powers and more exploration in newly available areas. But game is much more, for example undersea pursuit - I didn't see such race in games at all. So if you don't afraid to play in non standard game with very non standard graphics - when you will enjoy this game.
  29. Jun 1, 2012
    Extremely impressive game, was amazed at how well the graphics look considering it's essentially a ps2 port. Biggest issue with the game is the menu navigation, which are pretty much on par with skinning a bear with a carrot. 9.6 rounds to 10.
  30. Mar 1, 2014
    The story and level design certainly are original, and it was fun to play. However, wonky controls and sometimes horrendous camera control bring the score down a couple notches. 20 hours of game play make it definitely worth the money though.

1. Psychonauts doesn't reinvent the platformer, but it still delivers an experience that feels wholly original in every aspect of its execution.
    It's a brilliant debut for Double Fine, and here's hoping it's just the start of what we can expect to see from them.
  3. A triumph of art direction, a prime example of exquisite aesthetics and of how well an imaginary world can be beautifully conceived.