Psychonauts PC

8.9

1. JasonMiller
    Mar 1, 2009
    Very original and fun game. I know some complained about the controls, but I used a standard keyboard+mouse setup and it played great, so I'm not really sure what the issue was.
    The design came off with a nice balance between weird and realism, and has a maturity to it that most games I've played, especially more recent ones, simply lack.
    This game has now got me interested in
    This game has now got me interested in the other things the designer (Tim Schafer) has made as well, and I'm impressed.
  2. Oct 1, 2011
    First of all: Get this game. Really. If you're even remotely interested in either adventure or platform genre, get this game. Here's why Psychonauts gets a (almost) perfect 10 from my account.

I love games that delve into the psyche of one another, and Psychonauts does so in a very clear and fun way. Possibly inspired by Being John Malcovic you simply place a door on someones head and then you can step right in. Each character you enter has his or own -mostly traumatic- issues you get to deal with, causing each level to be completely different in terms of style and goal. So instead of your typical "go and fetch me a shrubbery" type of quest it's more like "jump inside and put my mind straight"

This game has what I think is the Tim Schafer signature in terms of dialogue, humor and originality. Meaning you get the same feeling when playing the first Monkey Island or Sam and Max games, or Day of The Tentacle. Yet it's not a point and click adventure game, since you're running around in a 3D environment playing all kinds of acrobatic stunts (after all, you were raised as an acrobat). Psychonauts combines my two favourite genres, adventure and (3D) platforming, adding a compelling and original storyline and interesting, divers characters. There's a big gaming world for you to explore, and you'll never guess (right) what's coming next. The voicecasting is awesome imho, and graphically this game does not let down in any way. I do have to admit one thing though: I have never finished it. The very last level was just too hard for me, and I got frustrated every time. I believe it also had to do with some weird camera angles at that point which didn't work out for me. Nevertheless I didn't find that reason enough to rate this game any lower than 10. It's just that much fun.

So now that it's ont steam I'll be buying this gem again. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get to finish it this time..
  3. Feb 21, 2012
    As a nostalgic thrill I decided to play this game again, not remembering the great humor fun combat and creative story I loved this game. The incredible mind of Tim Shaefer is yet to disappoint me.
  4. MarkT.
    Jul 25, 2005
    This game is a rare gem... the twisted 50s paranoia filled neighbourhood you wonder in search of the milkman is a true classic; the hapless comments from the residents of lungfishopolis are hilarious; while the camera angles are a pain sometimes, this is a must-buy for anyone who feels computer games need to be a little more adventurous and a little less formulaic. Two thumbs up!
  5. CliftonM.
    May 1, 2007
    One of the best and funniest games to come out in the last 5 years, a true shame it didn't sell very well.
  6. Nov 3, 2010
    Psychonauts follows the adventures of Razputin, or Raz, in a psychic summer camp where the government is supposedly training children with paranormal abilities to become secret agents named psychonauts. I say supposedly because the game has a complex story which is being slowly unraveled as I play through the various levels represented by the different minds Raz enters. The mainPsychonauts follows the adventures of Razputin, or Raz, in a psychic summer camp where the government is supposedly training children with paranormal abilities to become secret agents named psychonauts. I say supposedly because the game has a complex story which is being slowly unraveled as I play through the various levels represented by the different minds Raz enters. The main character Raz resembles a classic child hero who must rise up out of an oppressive upbringing to fight the evil madman who wants nothing else but to take over the world. Unlike most games which start with a dull tutorial that simply teaches basic keyboard commands Psychonauts offered a chance to develop some of the plot before even starting the tutorial through interactions with minor characters. During the tutorial, which was named â Expand
  7. Oct 10, 2011
    One of the most creative and fun games ever created! Everyone owes it to themselves to play this game. The character dialogue is compelling and humorous and the storyline is epically strange.
  8. Dec 24, 2011
    Craziest game I ever played. At first it looked like Metroid in 3d, with exploration, collecting powers and more exploration in newly available areas. But game is much more, for example undersea pursuit - I didn't see such race in games at all. So if you don't afraid to play in non standard game with very non standard graphics - when you will enjoy this game.
  9. Oct 14, 2011
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant. This is what a platformer should be. It is one of the most original and fun games I have ever played. If you're a fan of platformers, you should buy psychonauts right now. My only real complaint is that the camera angle can sometimes screw you up at ONE point in the game, but that's it. When that's the only discernable flaw that a game has, it deserves a 10.
  10. Dec 7, 2011
    This is one of those games that people either love or hate. Where you fall depends on whether you care more about somewhat lacking controls or about a creative, unique story and quirky characters. Psychonauts may have below average gameplay, but they are never game-breaking and, at least for me, the story and environments keep me immersed and laughing throughout the entire game. The storyThis is one of those games that people either love or hate. Where you fall depends on whether you care more about somewhat lacking controls or about a creative, unique story and quirky characters. Psychonauts may have below average gameplay, but they are never game-breaking and, at least for me, the story and environments keep me immersed and laughing throughout the entire game. The story is also genuinely funny. The music is nothing special in most cases and at time, some of them can get annoying. The bottom line is: if you want an adventure that will stay with you, long after you stopped playing and you can get over the less-then-perfect controls, $10 is a steal for Psychonauts. Expand
  11. Dec 13, 2011
    This 3D platforming game is superb from its creative and colorful levels to its complex and conflicted characters. As the boy Raz, you learn eight different psychic abilities for combat and exploration that range from floating around to burning things. However, the troublesome controls due to many buttons being used, the annoying camera setup, and the relentlessly difficult final levelThis 3D platforming game is superb from its creative and colorful levels to its complex and conflicted characters. As the boy Raz, you learn eight different psychic abilities for combat and exploration that range from floating around to burning things. However, the troublesome controls due to many buttons being used, the annoying camera setup, and the relentlessly difficult final level kept me from absolutely loving it. Expand
  12. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is my favourite game in the whole universe. It is so good, filled with humor and exciting stuff to do. I swear the money spent on this game will not be a waste, it's a Tim Schafer classic and it's gorgeous from beginning to end.
  13. Feb 8, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game. It starts off slowly but by the third 'stage' the game is just incredibly fun and creative. There are more than few annoying, whining kids in the very beginning of the game but they quickly vanish. Most of the later stages are extremely fun and memorable.
  14. EmilA.
    Mar 6, 2008
    It's a really fun and entertaining platform game. Excellent controls and feeling. The story is thrilling and well put on the table. Great game!
  15. TedG.
    May 8, 2005
    some people might disagree but I think this game is like mario sunshine on crack, with better level design and none of those goddammed unplaytested so frustrating you want to disembowel someone flaws. perfect difficulty ramp, incredible amount of exploration, hand-drawn collectibles, precise control (dont listen to IGN reviewer because the system rewards skill not windwaker-esque "auto some people might disagree but I think this game is like mario sunshine on crack, with better level design and none of those goddammed unplaytested so frustrating you want to disembowel someone flaws. perfect difficulty ramp, incredible amount of exploration, hand-drawn collectibles, precise control (dont listen to IGN reviewer because the system rewards skill not windwaker-esque "auto grab") and terrific voice acting all makes this the most atmospheric and engrossing platformer since American McGee's Alice (11 on a scale of 1 to 10). sheer amount of creativity is unbelievable. Expand
  16. Jeffthejiff
    Feb 23, 2006
    This is the greatest game i've played in years. Thanks to Tim Schafer's adventure game roots, the story is original and imaginitive, and the level design really pulls you in to the surreal atmosphere. The characters are fantastic, with spot on voice acting delivering some great one-liners. The game is loosely structured, allowing you to roam around and play various missions, This is the greatest game i've played in years. Thanks to Tim Schafer's adventure game roots, the story is original and imaginitive, and the level design really pulls you in to the surreal atmosphere. The characters are fantastic, with spot on voice acting delivering some great one-liners. The game is loosely structured, allowing you to roam around and play various missions, many of which are based within other character's minds - allowing all sorts of weird and wonderful things to happen. The gameplay mechanics are a lot of fun, allowing you to use various psychic powers such as levitation and telekinesis. While the prospect of hunting for items in order to buy equipment or level up seems daunting at first, the game never seems to get repetitive or dull thanks to the beautiful and imaginitive scenery and plenty of characters to talk to or just listen to. I honestly think that gaming cant get much better than this. It is hilarious, thoughtful, hugely detailed, and above all a massive amount of fun. Its great and just keeps growing on you. Expand
  17. DMarsy
    Jan 21, 2007
    Great platforming fun ! It's got decent graphics, is funny and there is a good few hours of gaming in it. Well worth a go.
  18. RichardS.
    Oct 28, 2007
    This is best platformer I have played (and played and played) to date. Nothing sucked me in like this since Mario64. The art and characters are brilliant, though some levels are difficult, they are more than possible with a little thinking. The story is wacky, insane and fun. And though using a keyboard and mouse it hard (find me one that isn't), it's a platformer, so I used a This is best platformer I have played (and played and played) to date. Nothing sucked me in like this since Mario64. The art and characters are brilliant, though some levels are difficult, they are more than possible with a little thinking. The story is wacky, insane and fun. And though using a keyboard and mouse it hard (find me one that isn't), it's a platformer, so I used a control pad. Anyone with even the remotest interest in Platform style games should play this, if for no other reason than to know what you should expect a great game to be. Expand
  19. KoleR.
    Mar 26, 2007
    This game is fun, funny, and one of the best games I have ever played its plot is interesting and funny. It is a shame if you haven't heard of this game. Its only $20 and its awesome. Must Have.
  20. KristianK.
    May 27, 2007
    It is the best game in the WORLD :P
  21. KimP.
    Jun 15, 2005
    Aside from Full Throttle, I wasn't a Tim Shafer junky like many. However, I *loved* this game. I thought the gameplay was original, the theme and story VERY original, and the level design was BRILLIANTLY original. The writing and voice acting was far above the quality of most game titles. There were jokes kids would find funny, and jokes that adults will get and that will go over Aside from Full Throttle, I wasn't a Tim Shafer junky like many. However, I *loved* this game. I thought the gameplay was original, the theme and story VERY original, and the level design was BRILLIANTLY original. The writing and voice acting was far above the quality of most game titles. There were jokes kids would find funny, and jokes that adults will get and that will go over kids heads. The only thing barring this from getting a 10 was that some of the boss fights, especially the last few, revert to very classic button-mash style, poor AI-driven, ones. Don't let that stop you though. One of the must play games of 2005. Expand
  22. ErikB.
    Sep 15, 2005
    This game reminded me why I love video games. It had characters I actually cared about, a great storyline, and cool levels. The voice acting really helped with the immersion. I loved the totally different feel each level had, and I although the puzzles were pretty easy I had fun solving them. It took me about 14 hours to complete the game with about 95% of the items collected, but I can This game reminded me why I love video games. It had characters I actually cared about, a great storyline, and cool levels. The voice acting really helped with the immersion. I loved the totally different feel each level had, and I although the puzzles were pretty easy I had fun solving them. It took me about 14 hours to complete the game with about 95% of the items collected, but I can probably blow through it in 6 hours now that all the exploring is taken care of. If you like platforms this is the best that's come out in quite a while. Expand
  23. BrianM.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Amazing game with hilarious storyline and slapstick comedy.
  24. SamS
    Sep 30, 2009
    Doublefine does some of the most amazing work I've seen in this industry. Definitely a 10
  25. MisterDK
    Jan 13, 2008
    Superb game, very refreshing and strange. Would recommend to anyone out there.
  26. JoshR
    Dec 16, 2007
    I originally played this game way back when it was released so felt compelled to write a small review here. I've played many platform games, and while alot of the franchises out still today can be quite enjoyable I feel this game encapsulated ideas that still need to be fleshed out more to make a great platforming experience. Just as an example I really enjoy how the camp you play in I originally played this game way back when it was released so felt compelled to write a small review here. I've played many platform games, and while alot of the franchises out still today can be quite enjoyable I feel this game encapsulated ideas that still need to be fleshed out more to make a great platforming experience. Just as an example I really enjoy how the camp you play in (when not doing missions) is fairly free roaming and feels very alive with the ability to find other kids around to talk to and just have pointless (but very funny) conversations with as well as just listen to them talk to each other. There is hours of this stuff and it's very funny to listen to so you shouldnt pass that up. It's really a shame it took as long as it did to be released, which is what most say is why it didnt get the inception it deserved, and may feel a tiny bit old hat by now as it doesnt push any boundries in gameplay or really innovate anything worth noting, but it's one game I totally recommend to anyone who is a gamer but hasn't tried it. If nothing else you will enjoy the experience. Expand
  27. ColbyA.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Another one of the best games I've played - from some of the people who brought us the Monkey Island series, too! You can tell, even. Great sophisticated humor (no bathroom jokes), many laughs, and really fun and original combat/gameplay system. Definitely recommended story of a carnie at a psychic summer camp unraveling a mystery.
  28. May 27, 2011
    While the controls are in need of improvement on the PC, the game itself is a wonder to behold. With a very innovative world and combat system, the game continues to be a high point in the world of 3D platformers. With a few small adjustments to the camera, this game could be one of the best games of all time.
  29. Dec 29, 2013
    The writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land ofThe writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land of Mr. Johnny Testosterone Space Marine and Mrs. Sassy Action Chick.
    The gameplay is intresting, but it has it’s flaws (they might be forgivable), the psychic powers are awesome and the boss fights really require skill, every boss has it’s own weak spot, you have to deduce it by watching it’s attacks. On the other hand the camera can be a little female dog some times. The combat outside the boss fights is kind of meh. The difficulty curve is a little bit messed up, there were sequences near the end that almost made break my keyboard. However I never stopped playing it, because I really wanted to see the ending, and I haven’t left disappointed.
    The ending promised a sequel and I really hope to see the day when Psychonauts 2 will be released!
  30. MarkG
    Jul 29, 2009
    The worst aspect of this game is that fact that when it was first released back in 2005 it got overlooked by the gaming public which lead the studio who created it getting closed down. For some reason people prefer to stick to what they know and play the countless Halo, Call of Duty and Tomb Raider squeals instead whereas Psychonauts is wholly originally and a great deal of fun. The in The worst aspect of this game is that fact that when it was first released back in 2005 it got overlooked by the gaming public which lead the studio who created it getting closed down. For some reason people prefer to stick to what they know and play the countless Halo, Call of Duty and Tomb Raider squeals instead whereas Psychonauts is wholly originally and a great deal of fun. The in game graphics, box art and concept do paint this game as some what 'quirky' which I guess is one of the reasons why people where initially put off this game but if you can put your first impressions aside and at least play the free demo you will find just how fun this game is. What makes this game stand out for (as has been pointed out by other reviews) is the level design, the scripting and the humour. Now whilst the gameplay isn't ground breaking it works well although I would highly recommend you use a control pad to play this game. Now I don't want to give to much away but in all my years of gaming I've never played a game like this, the ideas behind some of the levels are just fantastic with one level basically being a parody of Godzilla. Although the game is from 2005 the graphics still hold up in my opinion after all this is a platform game in the vein of Mario but unlike most games of that period it does support wide screen monitors and resolutions up to 1920x1200 within the in game options! I've even come across games this year that don't fully support wide screens yet, so, so much for the argument Psychonauts isn't a technical. The only negative aspects of this game are only minor, the camera positioning doesn't always end up where you want it and even with a control pad the controls takes a bit of getting used to. My only other gripe is the the wasn't long enough, I played it for a week but I had so much fun playing it I wanted more. If I had played this game from new I would have given this an 8/10 (due to it's length) but since it can be bought for next nothing now it gets a well deserved 9/10. Expand
  31. Mar 21, 2011
    This was Double Fine's first release. When a new game company enters the industry they have to release something new or different in an attempt to get people to buy their games. Sometimes this is a success and a unique game is created or it is a horrible clunky failure. This game simply blew me away. I played it for the first time in 2010 after hearing very little about it. I was born inThis was Double Fine's first release. When a new game company enters the industry they have to release something new or different in an attempt to get people to buy their games. Sometimes this is a success and a unique game is created or it is a horrible clunky failure. This game simply blew me away. I played it for the first time in 2010 after hearing very little about it. I was born in 89 and have been playing video games my entire life and in MASSIVE quantities. I saw more creativity and unique game play mechanics in single levels of Psychonauts than I had seen in entire other games that I previously praised as being unique or creative. For me games, if good, are generally pretty fun and at least entertaining. Everything about this game was so much fun and fun might actually be the best word to describe this game. Isn't that what games are supposed to be after all?

If I was going to give this a game a very honest review it would probably get an 8.0 losing points for some camera angle/mechanic issues that are common with mediocre PC ports. I can't speak for how it was on consoles. I can't do that though because I simply loved this game too much and it still remains my favorite game of all time. Te good aspects of the game just obliterate any negative points I would even consider giving it.

1. Psychonauts doesn't reinvent the platformer, but it still delivers an experience that feels wholly original in every aspect of its execution.
    It's a brilliant debut for Double Fine, and here's hoping it's just the start of what we can expect to see from them.
  3. A triumph of art direction, a prime example of exquisite aesthetics and of how well an imaginary world can be beautifully conceived.