8.6

1. Aug 6, 2013
    Puzzle Pirates is not a bad game but man is it not good. The whole point of this game is to be the best pirate you can be. You have to join random pirate crew and do a puzzle that will help the ship move and eventually you will get paid for the job. That's all well or good but almost all the pirates puzzles are boring and not very fun. The whole idea is to be the best and trust me I am notPuzzle Pirates is not a bad game but man is it not good. The whole point of this game is to be the best pirate you can be. You have to join random pirate crew and do a puzzle that will help the ship move and eventually you will get paid for the job. That's all well or good but almost all the pirates puzzles are boring and not very fun. The whole idea is to be the best and trust me I am not going to play this game for more than over a hundred hours just to be really good a filling buckets of water and throwing them out of the ship. The only thing that I was really hoping to do was buy a ship, but there was no chance for me to because I will have to play more than three hundred hours just to afford a basic ship. For people like me however, they will go and play poker and just bet all there money away and will have to go do jobs because there broke. This is not a bad game its just ok, the graphics and music in the game are fine and the people on most of the servers are ok for people that just start playing the game. In the end its just me and my problems if you want to play this just ok game by all means go play it for me i'm going to go play Pokemon instead. Expand
  2. AnonymousMC
    Dec 19, 2008
    an interesting twist on MMO, where the skill of the player actually effects the outcome. you can also play it for free. however trying to get ahead can turn into a real ratrace. the puzzles get old too. most of the game activities are variations on the same thing, i.e. Sea Monster Hunting (SMH) is just one big long tactical battle, during which you have to puzzle the entire time or getan interesting twist on MMO, where the skill of the player actually effects the outcome. you can also play it for free. however trying to get ahead can turn into a real ratrace. the puzzles get old too. most of the game activities are variations on the same thing, i.e. Sea Monster Hunting (SMH) is just one big long tactical battle, during which you have to puzzle the entire time or get booted off the ship. would be nice to have some non-mentally intensive stuff to do when your brain needs a break. take the 10 ratings with a big grain of salt, there are alot of addicts/fanbois on this game, its like crack for them. Expand
  3. CM
    Mar 27, 2005
    Way down deep, it's shallow. Got hooked and burnt out in little over two months. There's a limited amount of puzzles. The scoring system is so obscure that you're never quite sure if you are improving or not. The economic system leads to the traditional MMORPG flaw of defeating a bunch of NPCs, right after another, just so you can "reach the next level" or, in this case, Way down deep, it's shallow. Got hooked and burnt out in little over two months. There's a limited amount of puzzles. The scoring system is so obscure that you're never quite sure if you are improving or not. The economic system leads to the traditional MMORPG flaw of defeating a bunch of NPCs, right after another, just so you can "reach the next level" or, in this case, buying new swords and ships. A huge influx of immature players makes this more like an AOL chatroom with puzzles than a pirate themed game. Worth trying the free trial, but don't make any plans of long term play. Expand
  4. Sep 4, 2011
    This suffers a major problem that many strategy and puzzle games suffer...
    Similar to Starcraft and other RTS' many of the puzzles are dominated by the 'best' players, it only makes sense doesn't it? Well that's the problem, many of these elite players are merely the people who revise strategies.
    This suffers a major problem that many strategy and puzzle games suffer...

For example, the person who clears the water fastest in bilging is the man who gets the over-the-top Donkey combo and learns how to pull atleast one each time, whereas the man who get's countless 5X5 combos and better will generally end up in good, at best.

PVP is similar as well in this aspect, sword fighting is not fluid, instead it is dominated by a series of strategies that will quickly put down those who don't memorise them.

1. The atmosphere more than makes up for any shortcomings in the visual department. Communication with other players is easy and the sense of community is quite refreshing.
    The puzzles are very interesting and there is a form of leveling, albeit abstract. A pretty deep player economy is built in as well. The entire game is well put together, even if the graphics and sounds aren't of Galaxies caliber.
    The graphics were an absolute delight, blatantly cartoon-y and so bright and colorful that my first sight of the game always made me smile.