6.8

1. Oct 29, 2013
    This is not a bad game, considering its new ideas. However, the diversity of tactics option is just much less than the previous installment due to 2 main reasons. One is that equipment choice and effects are quite limited. Another reason is that players' spells are just mediocre compared to enemy's highly efficient spell (great effects, low mana cost, low or even zero wait time forThis is not a bad game, considering its new ideas. However, the diversity of tactics option is just much less than the previous installment due to 2 main reasons. One is that equipment choice and effects are quite limited. Another reason is that players' spells are just mediocre compared to enemy's highly efficient spell (great effects, low mana cost, low or even zero wait time for recasting).

In late game, you will have a feeling that AI is simply cheating on their chance of spell penetration, resistance, extra turns, and they have cheap tactics to cause high damage and waste your time.

The plot is also very boring, and I am very tired of the frequent popup of mini-games, and the encounters with enemies with small or even no experience rewards, which will continuously cast their cheap spells without ending their turns
  2. Sep 21, 2010
    Puzzle Quest 2 is a fantastic casual game: something to have in the background while you sit at your computer and do whatever you are supposed to do. It is unavoidable to not compare it to Puzzle Quest 1, and through that this new game comes out as a slight disappointment. It lacks some of the deeper minigames the first game had, although the new kinds of minigames such as looting, is aPuzzle Quest 2 is a fantastic casual game: something to have in the background while you sit at your computer and do whatever you are supposed to do. It is unavoidable to not compare it to Puzzle Quest 1, and through that this new game comes out as a slight disappointment. It lacks some of the deeper minigames the first game had, although the new kinds of minigames such as looting, is a nice touch. However, learning new spells is for example useless, as they are always weaker than the ones you learn from your character's spell book. This game is still a good follow up, but it could have been so much more, if it kept the minigames from Puzzle Quest 1 in addition to those which are already there. Expand
  3. Mar 3, 2012
    It's Puzzle Quest - Diablo style with more match-3 goodness, but hardcore gamers still run the risk of becoming bored quickly with this series, especially if you don't like matching gems hours on end...
  4. Oct 27, 2013
    The game is set in a different universe and mechanics from the original. The only things common in both games are the spells and enemies. such change brings some improvement but also causes more issues ruining the fun of game.

Improvement: 1. skill point reallocation at ease 2. use of weapon and armor rather than only casting spell 3. no useless gem like coin and purple star in

Improvement:
    1. skill point reallocation at ease
    2. use of weapon and armor rather than only casting spell
    3. no useless gem like coin and purple star in original which are only useful for specific class
    4. prefix on equipment adding some kind of variety
    5. equipment upgrade system
    6. less chance of AI's infinite extra turn simply by luck

Issues:
    1. getting equipment with prefix fitting your class can be a trouble, but since enemies level up with you, it is the best way to power you up
    2. too much grinding needed to upgrade your equipment
    3. enemies have nearly 100% blocking chance regardless of their defense
    4. enemies get first run even if they have same agility as you
    5. most enemies have low mana cost board control spell with low or no cool down time, causing another infinite loop of extra turn on their turn
    6. battle grid and chance of no further move are generated in favor of enemies you encounter
    7. enemies have higher chance to resist magic even if their morale is low

Due to the abovementioned issues, some classes are of less advantage against enemies, and less choice is available in late game to defeat enemies.

The plot and character or companion development is extremely poor, you will soon forget it and get frustrated in traveling between town and dungeon, and moving along the dungeon, being bothered from unskippable random encounter and mini-games all the time.
  5. Aug 16, 2013
    Playing through Puzzle Quest 2, I found myself bored with the repetitive "go here, do this" story and the uninteresting loot. There just isn't enough depth to warrant putting in the 20+ hours to complete it. Don't get me wrong this isn't a terrible game by any means. If you like matching gems for hours and hours without really thinking about what you're doing, this game may be for you.Playing through Puzzle Quest 2, I found myself bored with the repetitive "go here, do this" story and the uninteresting loot. There just isn't enough depth to warrant putting in the 20+ hours to complete it. Don't get me wrong this isn't a terrible game by any means. If you like matching gems for hours and hours without really thinking about what you're doing, this game may be for you. For me, it lacked the personality and innovation of the original Puzzle Quest. Expand
  6. Dec 9, 2014
    Very fun game. Although it becomes repetitive after a while. Nonetheless, it provides enough variety for a dozen hours of play. Basically, you twist spheres to match colors and get points; in such a way you are fighting your opponent, who also tries to math the colors, and both of you have different special powers. On top of that, you get booty at the end of each fight, can cash in,Very fun game. Although it becomes repetitive after a while. Nonetheless, it provides enough variety for a dozen hours of play. Basically, you twist spheres to match colors and get points; in such a way you are fighting your opponent, who also tries to math the colors, and both of you have different special powers. On top of that, you get booty at the end of each fight, can cash in, buy/sell equipment, upgrade your inventory and combat ware. Nice game. Expand
  7. Sep 5, 2013
    If Diablo & Sudoku had a child it would look a lot like this.

If Diablo & Sudoku had a child it would look a lot like this.

This is a wonderful little indie puzzle/RPG hybrid that finds a perfect balance between casual intellectual gameplay and good ole fashioned looting & leveling. It is a game that doesn't try to pretend it is something it is not. It only goes as far as it has to in order to quench the gamers-itch for hunting treasure in an intellectually rewarding construct. For aging gamers like myself (re: age 30+) looking for a game to provide a relaxing yet fun & engaging game experience, this is a gem. No twitch-based real-time focus required; just sit back & relax, pour a drink, dust off your old school 'Columns' skills, and see them rewarded with a surprisingly intricate system of loot, abilities, spells, and stats.

Be aware that if you're looking for detailed lore or a compelling story, you are in the wrong place. If you're looking for the next revolutionary Portal-esque puzzle gameplay you're also in the wrong place. This is just a simple puzzle game that has been modded in as many ways as you could imagine, then thrown into an RPG dungeon-crawler setting. The surprising amount of thought put into character synergy, spell synergy, and resource mechanics is what really takes it to the next level. Seemingly endless combinations for customization which when mixed with a core puzzle game that is heavy on luck the result is simple, pure puzzle-gaming bliss.
  8. Oct 7, 2014
    But ...but..but...Szlomo! why would You give this such a positive review?!?! Hmm.. well. I must admit I'm slightly shocked as well.

Whenever I see my dear Esther, or anyone for that matter, in the claws of a match three game ( which this certainly is, supposedly derived from "Shariki" thought up in the ancient times of "Tetris") I cry a little inside thinking of the mind numbing torments the unfortunate is undergoing. These torments are the illusion of logical strategy while in fact being subjected to constant dice rolls (represented by the randomness of the type of stones filling the ones that were removed from the playing board).

The inventive folks at Namco however have delivered this rare marriage of mild rpg and match three allowing me to spend quite a few fun evenings, wine, music, indulging in enjoyable recollection of past events with dearest Rachel whom never fancies being excited with my pastimes, opting instead at playing the usually terrible match 3. This unique experience of bringing two nigh separate worlds together merits a laurel wreath.

Expect some adequate artwork, quite an intricate system of skills/equipment changing how the otherwise beaten to death premise of match three plays and a somewhat infantile but passable story.

Let me underline the main strength here, Puzzle Quest 2 will allow You to find common ground with someone who happens to spend a lot of time on this type of games.

Despite the minor qualms I might have, Puzzle Quest 2 is still a very good game.
  2. This sequel goes light on the role-playing, but still presents a compelling puzzle experience that's as enjoyable and addictive as the original.
  3. Addictive RPG puzzler excels in game mechanics and brings fresh ideas and news to the "3-in-the-row" battle system. Quests, story and RPG elements are the main weaknesses in this sequel. [Issue#195]