6.7

1. Sep 5, 2013
    If Diablo & Sudoku had a child it would look a lot like this.

If Diablo & Sudoku had a child it would look a lot like this.

This is a wonderful little indie puzzle/RPG hybrid that finds a perfect balance between casual intellectual gameplay and good ole fashioned looting & leveling. It is a game that doesn't try to pretend it is something it is not. It only goes as far as it has to in order to quench the gamers-itch for hunting treasure in an intellectually rewarding construct. For aging gamers like myself (re: age 30+) looking for a game to provide a relaxing yet fun & engaging game experience, this is a gem. No twitch-based real-time focus required; just sit back & relax, pour a drink, dust off your old school 'Columns' skills, and see them rewarded with a surprisingly intricate system of loot, abilities, spells, and stats.

Be aware that if you're looking for detailed lore or a compelling story, you are in the wrong place. If you're looking for the next revolutionary Portal-esque puzzle gameplay you're also in the wrong place. This is just a simple puzzle game that has been modded in as many ways as you could imagine, then thrown into an RPG dungeon-crawler setting. The surprising amount of thought put into character synergy, spell synergy, and resource mechanics is what really takes it to the next level. Seemingly endless combinations for customization which when mixed with a core puzzle game that is heavy on luck the result is simple, pure puzzle-gaming bliss.
  2. Oct 7, 2014
    But ...but..but...Szlomo! why would You give this such a positive review?!?! Hmm.. well. I must admit I'm slightly shocked as well.

Whenever I see my dear Esther, or anyone for that matter, in the claws of a match three game ( which this certainly is, supposedly derived from "Shariki" thought up in the ancient times of "Tetris") I cry a little inside thinking of the mind numbing torments the unfortunate is undergoing. These torments are the illusion of logical strategy while in fact being subjected to constant dice rolls (represented by the randomness of the type of stones filling the ones that were removed from the playing board).

The inventive folks at Namco however have delivered this rare marriage of mild rpg and match three allowing me to spend quite a few fun evenings, wine, music, indulging in enjoyable recollection of past events with dearest Rachel whom never fancies being excited with my pastimes, opting instead at playing the usually terrible match 3. This unique experience of bringing two nigh separate worlds together merits a laurel wreath.

Expect some adequate artwork, quite an intricate system of skills/equipment changing how the otherwise beaten to death premise of match three plays and a somewhat infantile but passable story.

Let me underline the main strength here, Puzzle Quest 2 will allow You to find common ground with someone who happens to spend a lot of time on this type of games.

Despite the minor qualms I might have, Puzzle Quest 2 is still a very good game.
  2. This sequel goes light on the role-playing, but still presents a compelling puzzle experience that's as enjoyable and addictive as the original.
  3. Addictive RPG puzzler excels in game mechanics and brings fresh ideas and news to the "3-in-the-row" battle system. Quests, story and RPG elements are the main weaknesses in this sequel. [Issue#195]