7.6

1. Jul 22, 2014
    A entertaining straight forward no none sense first person shooter. The story is good and the gameplay is alot of fun. No one really plays the multiplayer though. It is still worth it for the singleplayer.
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    I think i was too much fondled with the fast gameplay of Q3A and UT that this game simply felt slow and boring. And it does not make me want to go back for some reason either. Its not a bad game but i wouldnt call it a good game either. You forget it very fast.
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    Quake 4 is a good game that effectively utilizes the Doom 3 engine. The game’s plot is quite enthralling with often gruesome in-game cut scenes and Hollywood style acting. In order to beat the Strogg force you actually become one of them later in the game, making for some interesting plot twists. The game’s audio and visuals are excellent and create a dark and scary atmosphere that you actually feel a part of. In spite of the excellence of the campaign there are some shortcomings however. The vehicle sections are quite underwhelming and I feel they are only there to advertise the game’s capabilities and variety rather than being a fun experience in their own right. The multiplayer is also rather dull and is essentially just Quake 3 or Open Arena with more high-tech graphics and a lower player base. Expand
  4. Nov 18, 2013
    As a FPS its an ok game as a Quake game its not. You can easily see how they changed the format from the original fast paced Quake games to overall detriment to the series.
  5. Sep 30, 2013
    Great game, I like Doom 3 but this is the most badass, and interesting game of their work yet.
    It so well orchestrated, and I enjoyed every moment of it,
    I want a proper sequel!!!
  6. Mar 29, 2013
    Very good shooter. To be honest I've never played more scary game. All this cyberpunk theme, biomechanoids, combining human body with computer parts really tickle your nerves. There are very few games I wanted to complete more that one time, and this it is. Even in 2013 you shall try it, if you like horrors. By the way this game is FAR FAR better that Doom 3 just miles ahead.
  7. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a pretty OK game. It could be a lot better, and it shouldn't really be Quake. In the originals, the fun was running, jumping, and shooting. This would be called a "runny-jumpy-shooty" game. Unfortunately, Quake 4 lacks this. Jumping makes you go slower when you land, and you can't run at 5k MPH and shoot things in the face and live. Don't get me wrong, I don't look for this in a game. Only Quake and Doom games. This is too story oriented. And on top of that, the story isn't even very good. I mean, it's OK, but more than that, it's just not worth the time. Now, as for the multiplayer, it's just a copy of Quake III Arena with beefed up player and weapon models. And as for the graphics, even for 2005, it's not that great. The weapon models are cool, the textures are cool, but the character models are just atrocious. Now, I don't say "STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!11!!1!" It can be fun. But it doesn't hold up to the former glory of Quake from 1996. I mean, not even id Software was happy with the way Raven and Bethesda took it. So, maybe if you see it at a used game store for like $10 or on sale on Steam for $10, it might be a good buy. But don't expect lots of runny-jumpy-shooty fun. Expand
  8. Dec 15, 2012
    If you play this game, don't think that all Quakes are like that. They're all excellent games, so don't take this one as a quake. Slow gameplay (although not as much as games like CoD), there's reload (it's horrible to reload in a fps arena)... and generally, there are some bad points. Also, the multiplayer doesn't seem to be very open. Still, it's a good game. The graphics are superb for its time. *Graphics: 7- (about 6.85); *Gameplay: 6; *Plot: 4.75; *Longevity: 5.6 Rating: good Vote/score: 5.8 Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2012
    I last played this when it was released in 2005. 7 years later I installed it again looking for a good action fix and it's still huge fun! This is a focused corridor shooter with great weapons and cool environments, the kind of game that's beginning to fade into history. It's still a very pretty game even by todays standards with atmospheric lighting and good looking enemy models. However the vehicle sections and outdoor areas do look dated now. To be honest I didn't think they looked great in 2005 either. The game and game engine (id tech 4) are at their best in the dark techno-horror corridors of the many Strogg installations. I can highly recommend this to anyone who wants a fun blaster with plenty of challenge. Its typical ID / Raven and people who have grown up with their games will love it. Expand
  10. May 20, 2012
    Even if Quake 1 was different from Quake 2 they had same Gothic Punk Hard Core Design and gameplay. Quake 3 was only multiplayer but many play it today and with great design of guns map and plenty of hell-pentagrams-reversed crosses to keep any lover of quake 1 and 2 satisfied. Then Quake 4 comes along New-Cowboy-Redneck style, I hated it I hated so much it destroyed everything that quake 1-2-3 where.
    Fun - 2/10
    Music - 0/10
    Replayability - 0/10
    Graphics for its time - 10/10
  11. Mar 8, 2012
    Quake4 is such a great FPS - I just had to replay this game after I finished playing Rage last week (both games developed by Id). Even 7 years after its original release this game looks great, has snappy weapons, solid AI, and beautiful graphics, and is raw fun. Overall score 9. Played in 2012.03 on Win7 installed using XP SP2 compatibility. DRM CD Key only, no activation. [Story] You play as a marine with the main mission to dismantle the Strogg command facilities on their home planet. An adult title with hyperviolence, including a sick sequence where you are captured and get surgically converted to Strogg. [Challenges] The scenarios are mostly a mix of corridor shoot outs, medium and large area showdowns. You will get good at mixing up your snipper shots with medium to short range weapons. Tight movement controls allow for good use of cover in the fire fights and a much more satisfying gun fight. Strafe strafe strafe. On normal difficulty level this was mostly an easy romp - but some of the large arenas swamped me... I solved it by using a better match between the gun (a choice of ten weapons) and the foe - and that is always satisfying. Pick ups along the way are so generous that saving is almost not necessary, the autosaves and the level saves are good enough. This is not a sandbox game and there is no real exploring.

[My PC] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8Gig RAM / Radeon 6870 / 1920x1200 / W7 PRO SP1 [Graphics score 10] The game world looks great and mood disturbing as war should be. The frame rate is flawless.
    [Controls score 10] I always play with a Logitech keyboard and a Kensington trackball. Remapping the keys in game was easy. [Sound score 10] I always play with headphones. Voice acting and SFX are great.

[MyFavorites] [PC Win7] Rage [PC XP] DeuxExHumanRevolution&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3 FalloutNewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed1 Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] DeusExMachina ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries Suspended [MyUnhappyGames] WoW {boring} [Born] 1964
  12. Jan 23, 2012
    Really nice and rewarding departure from its predecessor - I'll risk much with this statement, but that's the way Doom 3 should be. As previous reviews have stated: the game shines in design and some really fun action. It is in deed challenging, but rarely frustrating. Rarely I wanted to switch to god mode just to pass the level and move on. I didn't really focus on the (apparently good) dialogue, I just wanted action - and sure I got plenty of it).

Where it lets down, however, is game mechanics (try to hit the enemy with a grenade and you'll know what I mean) and unmached firepower/ammo to your enemies - requires some cleverness and quick thinking (also, you're usually slower). The AI makes your teammates wander around in circles while you take all the fire - not fun at all.
  13. Jan 20, 2012
    Good storylines,multiplayer sucks....thats what it states.Singleplayer looks fine for me.Like an old Quake 2 style,but on Multiplayer,nah.....like Quake 3 with no bots.Still forcing you to find some programs to play with bots.The graphics and sounds are pretty good i guess.
  14. Nov 30, 2011
    A game worth playing for fans of the Strogg storyline. Similar to Doom 3 in mechanics as would be expected. Tons of those little computer screens like Doom. A lot of the weapons are pretty much rehashes of Doom 3 weapons, ie, Grenade Launcher, Machine Gun (which isn't even a machine gun, more of an assault rifle or SMG type thing, why does id always call them that?) "Blaster" which is basically the pistol with infinite ammo, Shotgun, etc. Characters you meet throughout the game will sometimes randomly offer to upgrade some of your weapons. Most of them get a kind of modification, some a lot more useful than others. The enemies are reasonably varied but some of the common foot soldiers are especially predictable and almost all enemies display fairly dimwitted AI. Mastering the art of strafing while scoring consistent hits is a must for those sudden close encounters.

A significant part of the game is spent both going solo and fighting in small groups with your AI teammates, which are usually helpful enough if you do your part to stave off enemies so they are not butchered. The Medics and "Techs" are especially helpful to refill your life and armor respectively. But if you are more comfortable as a lone wolf then not to worry, you get plenty of time for that, particularly during the more creepy/horror section of the game. Personally I enjoy the parts where it is actually depicting the 'war' between humanity and the Strogg, and thus you have some small squad-based combat. The horror parts rely mostly on absurd amounts of gore and shock value, which to me after a while is more depressing than scary. These areas also (and the game in general) leave much to be desired for music and audio outside of sound effects of combat and groans/weird crap. Halo knows how to pump you up a bit with some music themes, id should maybe take a lesson for their less horror-driven areas.

As far as plot, the story is interesting enough, but the ending seems kind of abrupt and the final fight was kind of easy once you figured out what to do. I played on the second hardest difficulty out of 4 choices for reference. Sometimes the 'leaders' of your squad make asinine decisions compared to real life, ie, hey, YOU, go on this dangerous solo mission while I apparently do nothing. Or if you secure something they love to leave a single guy behind to guard it, cause you know, he can handle dozens of enemies by himself. Future humanity sucks at organizing for war. But I digress, it's obviously more for game play reasons than it is to make sense.

Overall a decent campaign. Multiplayer is kind of weak and has no bots without installing mods. Worth a bargain price, which by the age of the game you should be able to get.
  15. Oct 12, 2011
    Not sa awesome as Quake 2 was, sure, this game is still very good. It's a bit linear as for me, but shooting and fighting enemies are extremely fun, especially on hard mode, especially with some tweaks making corpses undisappear. Beatiful game I come back from time to time.
  16. Oct 7, 2011
    This is my favourite single player FPS of all time to date beating HL1. Although I did need to edit the .def files inside the .pak files to get the weapons to behave the way I liked. It's one of those sci-fi shooters with great battles and a nice selection of weapons. Plus excellent characters and superb mapping/graphics and no bugs. I never liked the other quakes but this one's hit my tastes perfectly. Great job to the guys at Raven for this most awesome game. Expand
  17. Sep 29, 2010
    Nice game.Nice campaign good voice acting the gameplay is total fun has enough weapons the graphics are very good and runs good even on medium pc's.The conversion into a strogg is very welcome and helps a lot.Good thinking.10
  18. Sep 10, 2010
    Very boring first person shooter with stupid enemies, boring weapons and only a few good levels. It's one of the games you never play a second time. Many levels lack details and feel somewhat unfinished. The difficulty level is not constant. there are several unfair situations that can get newbies into trouble.

If you want a good game with detailed levels and creepy enemies, buy Doom 3.

1. The single player campaign uses the old school twitch shooter style that is still enjoyable, but gets repetitive and is ultimately unsatisfying in these days of more sophisticated shooters.
  2. In terms of multiplayer, we’re still trying to figure out what went wrong in that process, because Quake III ruled in that department.
  3. I had a ton of fun playing Quake 4, and while the game started off kind of slow, it picked up quickly and wound up being a solid, action-packed experience without the dreaded "realistic" limitations on combat that so many recent games put on the player.