Quake 4 PC

7.5

1. TerryD.
    Oct 31, 2005
    Outstanding sci-fi shooter - so why not a 10? Well, balance seems to be an issue with Quake 4 - sometimes the gameplay gets way to hard! - Vehicle situations are VERY difficult relative to the rest of the game play. Seems like you are being hit from all directions with limited weapons to defend yourself with, poor maneuverability, and quick death. - Occasional poor ammo placement. Outstanding sci-fi shooter - so why not a 10? Well, balance seems to be an issue with Quake 4 - sometimes the gameplay gets way to hard! - Vehicle situations are VERY difficult relative to the rest of the game play. Seems like you are being hit from all directions with limited weapons to defend yourself with, poor maneuverability, and quick death. - Occasional poor ammo placement. Sometimes I find myself in a situation with a lot of enemies and not a lot of ammo. Unless I missed something (I didn't, I checked a number of times), I'm going into areas outnumbered and out gunned. - Some of the enemies are nearly unstoppable. That's fine for bosses, but geez, how about some more tactical challenges instead of having to brut-force these guys? Other than these issues though, the game has it going on with great environments, characters, combat, and story. Expand
  2. X1L3X
    Jan 1, 2006
    An Amazing Fps game with Amazing graphics... Also the most violent game I've ever played plus with the realistic graphics it makes it gruesome...The aliens (Stroggs) like to experiment on humans, people are shown with parts of their face torn off, intestines hanging out, there is a scene where you can see your characters legs being sliced off by a bloody saw while strapped down, An Amazing Fps game with Amazing graphics... Also the most violent game I've ever played plus with the realistic graphics it makes it gruesome...The aliens (Stroggs) like to experiment on humans, people are shown with parts of their face torn off, intestines hanging out, there is a scene where you can see your characters legs being sliced off by a bloody saw while strapped down, limbless people are attached to machines, some strange experiments like that, Dont play this game if you are a little kid or some idiot thats going to copy what you see in this game... Expand
  3. AdamM.
    May 10, 2006
    Great game! One of the top 3 PC Games of all time, which are 1) Half-Life 2) Half-Life 2 3) Quake 4. It has excellent graphics, suspense, and thrill. Although, this game is not in anyway original. You can see traces of several games within it. The most noticable games are Aliens vs. Predator 2, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2. This game goes way beyond Doom 3, which in my opinion was a horrible Great game! One of the top 3 PC Games of all time, which are 1) Half-Life 2) Half-Life 2 3) Quake 4. It has excellent graphics, suspense, and thrill. Although, this game is not in anyway original. You can see traces of several games within it. The most noticable games are Aliens vs. Predator 2, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2. This game goes way beyond Doom 3, which in my opinion was a horrible game. This is a top-notch PC game, and is a game for any REAL gamer! Expand
  4. SamF.
    Aug 10, 2006
    Being a fan of FPS Games I can say that this game has to be one of the best so far, having the best visuals,gameplay of most games out today. Quake 4 even has Doom 3 beaten in terms of you can actually see your envirement while still being dark and scary in some places. ID Knew they had to add a flashlight to weapons this time around, trying not to make the same mistake twice. But turning Being a fan of FPS Games I can say that this game has to be one of the best so far, having the best visuals,gameplay of most games out today. Quake 4 even has Doom 3 beaten in terms of you can actually see your envirement while still being dark and scary in some places. ID Knew they had to add a flashlight to weapons this time around, trying not to make the same mistake twice. But turning this game into a major winner required a variety of envirements, enemies and surprises. you get all that in this game in different areas changing from indoor to outdoors so you won't get bored. A true winner. Expand
  5. GR
    Feb 5, 2007
    A flawed game, with moments of brilliance. The game is let down by the poorly designed vehicle sections and some overly difficult areas. However, it's oozing cinematic flair, thanks largely to superb voice acting, and has a lovely plethora of weapons to create hell with, so it's not all bad. Just be expected to be clicking that quickload button quite a bit towards the end of the game.
  6. BertR.
    Feb 6, 2007
    I think this game was made by god. OK the german version suck because there was no Blood and no OP but the english version is greater than Far Cry. So many action and... I dont know wht it was but it was great.
  7. J
    Oct 21, 2005
    It's Quake, what can I say? But in all seriousness, this ia great game -- admittingly not as good as it should have been, but still very enjoyable. If you like Quake, just get it, and if anything, get it for the multiplayer.
  8. B.Hew
    Oct 23, 2005
    The people who gave this game less then 8 are the people who turned it on and played for about 5 minutes and then said.. this is the same as doom3. Its not.. play the game and you'll find it has a awesome storyline and great gameplay. Well done to raven software for another disturbing atmospheric single player experience. Now keep up that great work and make us Soldier of Fortune 3!
  9. KeeganB.
    Oct 24, 2005
    Well I didn't even know this game was coming out untill I saw it on the shelves, I guess im starting to fall behind in PC gaming releases. First of I thought I was playing doom for the first 20 minutes of the game and that ticked me off. But after I played a bit more the game became quite unique, Its still the same ass all other FPS run and shoot, but at least in Quake 4 you are able Well I didn't even know this game was coming out untill I saw it on the shelves, I guess im starting to fall behind in PC gaming releases. First of I thought I was playing doom for the first 20 minutes of the game and that ticked me off. But after I played a bit more the game became quite unique, Its still the same ass all other FPS run and shoot, but at least in Quake 4 you are able to see some of the strangest things ever. Some of the things you see within this game I have never expected to see in almost any video game, the level of graphic violance is so great to see in a dark game like this, If you have a computer that can take the ravagings of the Doom engine and you love violance and gore in games then this game is for you stop reading this and go buy it. Expand
  10. Jag
    Apr 9, 2008
    Quake 4 is a Sci-Fi FPS that picks up were Quake 3 left off. This game's graphics are great. There Doom 3 times 2. The game is somewhat like Doom 3 at times with the dark vents and corners. And yes you flashlight is on your gun. Gamespot said that the story was just deep enough to keep you interested in what will happen next. I found it to be a bit more imersive. You charicter Quake 4 is a Sci-Fi FPS that picks up were Quake 3 left off. This game's graphics are great. There Doom 3 times 2. The game is somewhat like Doom 3 at times with the dark vents and corners. And yes you flashlight is on your gun. Gamespot said that the story was just deep enough to keep you interested in what will happen next. I found it to be a bit more imersive. You charicter doesn't say anything but all those guys around you will completely distract you from that fact. You really feel like your apart of somthing in this game. The story has been found to be shalow by some people but that part is pretty much up to you. However there is a major twist in the story. I won't ruin it for you but it is deffinetly the most shocking story twists I have ever seen. The A.I was good you guys really help you which imerses you even more into the expereance. The multi-player was very fun and traditional. Its mainly quake 3 with better graphics and a couple of new maps one new weapon. The dark matter gun. IT OWNS. In my opinion this game is classic I could go on for a long time about it. If you like shooters BUY IT. Expand
  11. MarkS.
    Aug 17, 2008
    Great game. Single player campaign shines like no other id game previously but multiplayer scores only average. The graphics are amazing, the environments and details phenominal, music and sounds very high quality. I have always loved Raven games and this is no exception. In 2008, now that I finally have a system that can run this game at Ultra High, the game really comes alive. This is Great game. Single player campaign shines like no other id game previously but multiplayer scores only average. The graphics are amazing, the environments and details phenominal, music and sounds very high quality. I have always loved Raven games and this is no exception. In 2008, now that I finally have a system that can run this game at Ultra High, the game really comes alive. This is my third of fourth time playing it through, fantastic game. A huge step up from Doom 3 in technology and gameplay. A++. Expand
  12. Adultgamer
    Nov 14, 2005
    If you have ever played Quake II then this is a great follow u, great looking graphics and fun and fast gameplay just like the original Quake II, take my advice and upgrade your PC your gonna need at least a Geforce 6600 for it to look realy nice and you can pick them up for £80
  13. andrew
    Dec 12, 2005
    great looking game with plenty of game play
    this game runs on my PC at 1024x768 on high settings
    my rig is a AMD 3200+
    1 gig of ram
    geforce 6600GT
    and the whole game runs like a dream very very smooth.
    @ Matt N there is something wrong with your PC mate get it sorted with your setting it should run better than mine,
  14. M
    Oct 23, 2005
    Don't believe the naysayers when they state that F.E.A.R is a much a better game than Quake 4. I have both and F.E.A.R. doesn't not have a story worth remembering. Quake4 is more involving and at least there is a variety of enemies to kill unlike the overrated F.E.A.R.
  15. Warmonger
    Oct 24, 2005
    Great game this is what doom3 should have been! it also has a very good story line, the marine's transition into a strogg.... good stuff! Destined to become another Quake classic.
  16. Jul 7, 2012
    I last played this when it was released in 2005. 7 years later I installed it again looking for a good action fix and it's still huge fun! This is a focused corridor shooter with great weapons and cool environments, the kind of game that's beginning to fade into history. It's still a very pretty game even by todays standards with atmospheric lighting and good looking enemy models. HoweverI last played this when it was released in 2005. 7 years later I installed it again looking for a good action fix and it's still huge fun! This is a focused corridor shooter with great weapons and cool environments, the kind of game that's beginning to fade into history. It's still a very pretty game even by todays standards with atmospheric lighting and good looking enemy models. However the vehicle sections and outdoor areas do look dated now. To be honest I didn't think they looked great in 2005 either. The game and game engine (id tech 4) are at their best in the dark techno-horror corridors of the many Strogg installations. I can highly recommend this to anyone who wants a fun blaster with plenty of challenge. Its typical ID / Raven and people who have grown up with their games will love it. Expand
  17. Oct 12, 2011
    Not sa awesome as Quake 2 was, sure, this game is still very good. It's a bit linear as for me, but shooting and fighting enemies are extremely fun, especially on hard mode, especially with some tweaks making corpses undisappear. Beatiful game I come back from time to time.
  18. Sep 30, 2013
    Great game, I like Doom 3 but this is the most badass, and interesting game of their work yet.
    It so well orchestrated, and I enjoyed every moment of it,
    I want a proper sequel!!!
  19. Apr 6, 2015
    After 9 hours of gameplay, I realized that the game really do offer something innovative. This game is like, pac pac, and nothing else happens throughout the game. Maybe only small issue, but nothing wow. The game is not as fun as the previous ones.
  20. Dec 15, 2012
    If you play this game, don't think that all Quakes are like that. They're all excellent games, so don't take this one as a quake. Slow gameplay (although not as much as games like CoD), there's reload (it's horrible to reload in a fps arena)... and generally, there are some bad points. Also, the multiplayer doesn't seem to be very open. Still, it's a good game. The graphics are superb forIf you play this game, don't think that all Quakes are like that. They're all excellent games, so don't take this one as a quake. Slow gameplay (although not as much as games like CoD), there's reload (it's horrible to reload in a fps arena)... and generally, there are some bad points. Also, the multiplayer doesn't seem to be very open. Still, it's a good game. The graphics are superb for its time. *Graphics: 7- (about 6.85); *Gameplay: 6; *Plot: 4.75; *Longevity: 5.6 Rating: good Vote/score: 5.8 Expand
  21. Jeremy
    Oct 20, 2005
    Finally a game that is honestly a tunnel shooter, and does it really well. Singleplayer is a blast to play. Multiplayer and future mod support for this game will ensure that your money is not wasted after you are done with the SP.
  22. Sep 29, 2010
    Nice game.Nice campaign good voice acting the gameplay is total fun has enough weapons the graphics are very good and runs good even on medium pc's.The conversion into a strogg is very welcome and helps a lot.Good thinking.10
  23. Mar 8, 2012
    Quake4 is such a great FPS - I just had to replay this game after I finished playing Rage last week (both games developed by Id). Even 7 years after its original release this game looks great, has snappy weapons, solid AI, and beautiful graphics, and is raw fun. Overall score 9. Played in 2012.03 on Win7 installed using XP SP2 compatibility. DRM CD Key only, no activation. [Story] You playQuake4 is such a great FPS - I just had to replay this game after I finished playing Rage last week (both games developed by Id). Even 7 years after its original release this game looks great, has snappy weapons, solid AI, and beautiful graphics, and is raw fun. Overall score 9. Played in 2012.03 on Win7 installed using XP SP2 compatibility. DRM CD Key only, no activation. [Story] You play as a marine with the main mission to dismantle the Strogg command facilities on their home planet. An adult title with hyperviolence, including a sick sequence where you are captured and get surgically converted to Strogg. [Challenges] The scenarios are mostly a mix of corridor shoot outs, medium and large area showdowns. You will get good at mixing up your snipper shots with medium to short range weapons. Tight movement controls allow for good use of cover in the fire fights and a much more satisfying gun fight. Strafe strafe strafe. On normal difficulty level this was mostly an easy romp - but some of the large arenas swamped me... I solved it by using a better match between the gun (a choice of ten weapons) and the foe - and that is always satisfying. Pick ups along the way are so generous that saving is almost not necessary, the autosaves and the level saves are good enough. This is not a sandbox game and there is no real exploring.

[My PC] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8Gig RAM / Radeon 6870 / 1920x1200 / W7 PRO SP1 [Graphics score 10] The game world looks great and mood disturbing as war should be. The frame rate is flawless.
    [Controls score 10] I always play with a Logitech keyboard and a Kensington trackball. Remapping the keys in game was easy. [Sound score 10] I always play with headphones. Voice acting and SFX are great.

[MyFavorites] [PC Win7] Rage [PC XP] DeuxExHumanRevolution&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3 FalloutNewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed1 Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] DeusExMachina ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries Suspended [MyUnhappyGames] WoW {boring} [Born] 1964
  24. Jan 23, 2012
    Really nice and rewarding departure from its predecessor - I'll risk much with this statement, but that's the way Doom 3 should be. As previous reviews have stated: the game shines in design and some really fun action. It is in deed challenging, but rarely frustrating. Rarely I wanted to switch to god mode just to pass the level and move on. I didn't really focus on the (apparently good)Really nice and rewarding departure from its predecessor - I'll risk much with this statement, but that's the way Doom 3 should be. As previous reviews have stated: the game shines in design and some really fun action. It is in deed challenging, but rarely frustrating. Rarely I wanted to switch to god mode just to pass the level and move on. I didn't really focus on the (apparently good) dialogue, I just wanted action - and sure I got plenty of it).

Where it lets down, however, is game mechanics (try to hit the enemy with a grenade and you'll know what I mean) and unmached firepower/ammo to your enemies - requires some cleverness and quick thinking (also, you're usually slower). The AI makes your teammates wander around in circles while you take all the fire - not fun at all.
    Oct 18, 2005
    Greatest game ever. Half life, FEAR, they just took a good thing and messed with it. Keep it simple. Like Quake does. One man. One gun. Sh.tloads of enemies.
  26. Mike
    Oct 18, 2005
    Fantastic game, perfect addition to the Quake series.
  27. JoeT.
    Oct 18, 2005
    It is quake people.. destined to be another multiplayer classic. forget about single player, this game isnt about that.
  28. LarryZ.
    May 25, 2006
    Don't listen to the critics. If you have the hardware for this game and you like fps... you have nothing top lose but your humanity.
  29. May 20, 2012
    Even if Quake 1 was different from Quake 2 they had same Gothic Punk Hard Core Design and gameplay. Quake 3 was only multiplayer but many play it today and with great design of guns map and plenty of hell-pentagrams-reversed crosses to keep any lover of quake 1 and 2 satisfied. Then Quake 4 comes along New-Cowboy-Redneck style, I hated it I hated so much it destroyed everything that quakeEven if Quake 1 was different from Quake 2 they had same Gothic Punk Hard Core Design and gameplay. Quake 3 was only multiplayer but many play it today and with great design of guns map and plenty of hell-pentagrams-reversed crosses to keep any lover of quake 1 and 2 satisfied. Then Quake 4 comes along New-Cowboy-Redneck style, I hated it I hated so much it destroyed everything that quake 1-2-3 where.
    Fun - 2/10
    Music - 0/10
    Replayability - 0/10
    Graphics for its time - 10/10
  30. Sep 10, 2010
    Very boring first person shooter with stupid enemies, boring weapons and only a few good levels. It's one of the games you never play a second time. Many levels lack details and feel somewhat unfinished. The difficulty level is not constant. there are several unfair situations that can get newbies into trouble.

If you want a good game with detailed levels and creepy enemies, buy Doom 3.
  31. Oct 7, 2011
    This is my favourite single player FPS of all time to date beating HL1. Although I did need to edit the .def files inside the .pak files to get the weapons to behave the way I liked. It's one of those sci-fi shooters with great battles and a nice selection of weapons. Plus excellent characters and superb mapping/graphics and no bugs. I never liked the other quakes but this one's hit myThis is my favourite single player FPS of all time to date beating HL1. Although I did need to edit the .def files inside the .pak files to get the weapons to behave the way I liked. It's one of those sci-fi shooters with great battles and a nice selection of weapons. Plus excellent characters and superb mapping/graphics and no bugs. I never liked the other quakes but this one's hit my tastes perfectly. Great job to the guys at Raven for this most awesome game. Expand
  32. BlakeT.
    Oct 23, 2005
    Very old school. The gameplay is dated and uninspired. I'm not sure what id expected when they farmed this one out to Raven Studios, but I can't imagine they are really happy about the outcome. The "tourney" mode in multiplayer is fun, but we saw the same thing a year ago with UT2004. If you want fresh and inventive, go buy F.E.A.R. - it is a much better game. However, if you Very old school. The gameplay is dated and uninspired. I'm not sure what id expected when they farmed this one out to Raven Studios, but I can't imagine they are really happy about the outcome. The "tourney" mode in multiplayer is fun, but we saw the same thing a year ago with UT2004. If you want fresh and inventive, go buy F.E.A.R. - it is a much better game. However, if you are one of the ones who thought Doom 3 was fantastic, wait for Quake 4 to hit the bargain bin in a months. Expand
  33. GavinT.
    Jan 11, 2006
    a good game very difficult game makes it a worthwhile game to play good controls good graphics, graphics could have been a bit better but still good.
  34. Q4Sucks
    Jan 26, 2006
    This game was a major dissappointment. Nothing new, just Doom 3.5. Since when did graphics become more important than gameplay?
  35. AnsonG.
    Jul 6, 2006
    This game had a promise but the graphics and display was extremely poor. The only i liked is to fight against the enemy were so challenging. Also, those vehicles like tank or walker. Yes, i liked those. Come on is already 2006. If i want those graphics and display to be nice, i would rather buy and play on Xbox360 already. I doubt the Quake 4 was not the best series and not recommended to This game had a promise but the graphics and display was extremely poor. The only i liked is to fight against the enemy were so challenging. Also, those vehicles like tank or walker. Yes, i liked those. Come on is already 2006. If i want those graphics and display to be nice, i would rather buy and play on Xbox360 already. I doubt the Quake 4 was not the best series and not recommended to buy this game very much. Be advised. Expand
  36. Mobius
    Nov 1, 2005
    I found the game just far to dark to play, even when your outside the game is just to dark and this is with the brightness turned up. another thing is you realy need a beast of a system to have this run properly my rig is 3200cpu 1 gig dual channel memory and a geforce ti4600 Gcard and even though its not the most powerful of systems i can run half life 2 with everything maxed out at I found the game just far to dark to play, even when your outside the game is just to dark and this is with the brightness turned up. another thing is you realy need a beast of a system to have this run properly my rig is 3200cpu 1 gig dual channel memory and a geforce ti4600 Gcard and even though its not the most powerful of systems i can run half life 2 with everything maxed out at 1280x1024 and there are alot of people out there who have much lower specs., Quake 4 is just to system hungry to be any fun. Expand
  37. Saber
    Oct 21, 2005
    Repetitive !, Colourless!, Oldschool !, Storyless !, No special gameplay improvements. Its based upon Doom and IS 'Doom' people !
  38. KdD.
    Oct 31, 2005
    This game is Doom 3.5 with a ton of gore (for the single player game). I'm no newbie to horror type games, but this one is the most disgusting display I've ever seen. If I were a parent, I would refuse to buy my child an Xbox 360 just so that they don't ever get their hands on this game. The gameplay itself is aged too. It's Quake, but there's nothing new except This game is Doom 3.5 with a ton of gore (for the single player game). I'm no newbie to horror type games, but this one is the most disgusting display I've ever seen. If I were a parent, I would refuse to buy my child an Xbox 360 just so that they don't ever get their hands on this game. The gameplay itself is aged too. It's Quake, but there's nothing new except the graphics. No new weapons, no new ideas, just more run and shoot with the same old gear. Unreal 2004 released a ton of new ideas with the use of vehicles and new maps, but Quake 4 feels very much like Quake 3. The graphics are beautiful and the lighting is excellent, but the game is very lacking of new ideas. I don't need to pay $60 for some new maps. I do not recommend buying Quake 4 until the price drops significantly. Expand
  39. Shodan
    Nov 10, 2007
    Pretty forgettable.
  40. Phill
    Nov 27, 2005
    A major letdown.
  41. FarooqA.
    Oct 19, 2005
    The gaming 'thing' much less seen in the remakes of the old school pc titles is 'immersiveness'...I don't know why the bad guys have to be a merger of demon and machinery, but I do know that there is nothing 'special' under the phenomena. There is no myth under it, no mystery, no charisma, no 'thought' underlying this concept. Its just the idea The gaming 'thing' much less seen in the remakes of the old school pc titles is 'immersiveness'...I don't know why the bad guys have to be a merger of demon and machinery, but I do know that there is nothing 'special' under the phenomena. There is no myth under it, no mystery, no charisma, no 'thought' underlying this concept. Its just the idea that worked well in the past decade and the lesser of the creative minds just keep bashing the same old boring concepts in the current generation of games as well. Quake had been an awesome game, but its speciality has been due to whatever 'mystical' side it got to show in quake-1 and quake-3-arena games of the series. Quake 2 took it to a more science fiction side rather than the witchcraft appeal that suits the quake world better. knowing that quake 4 was coming got me excited to see the q3-arena look done to the better in the current gen of consoles. But it didn't...they have taken up the quake-2 stuff, that boring half demon-half robot monsters stuff whose cyborg nature is totally theoryless, the story which offers sheerly senseless plot, and the thing that got doom 3 undertaken...the repetition, all are mastered in quake 4. Although the Doom 3 did look better than quake 4, quake 4 does have gameplay advantages over doom 3. The vehicle stuff is good, but the particle effects are as 'old' and 'bitmappy'(rather than 3D) as doom 3 portrayed. I think its just enough with these type of gaming thoughts and directions, although the same boring direction is still coming up in games like 'prey' and 'gears of war', please people, let demons be demons and machines be machines ! and think more in terms of exoticness and immersiveness ! Expand
  42. Al
    Apr 27, 2006
    I must say it is much better then Doom 3, I completed about 3 quarters of the game before I uninstalled it; I quit the doom 3 already at first quarter. If it would not have been for occasional help by other soldiers in the game, it would have been spitting image of the Doom 3. I agree, since when is the graphic more important then gameplay!
  43. MathewP.
    Nov 1, 2007
    This game is short, it is 0 scary, and you almost never are alone, you are always with nooby soldiers helping you, i don't know how people can like this more than Doom 3. They are just fucken morons. Doom 3 It's a SOLO style game, no fucken fools helping you, and made for panic. This game suxs, when you run out of armor or ammo there's always a soldier to give you shit, you This game is short, it is 0 scary, and you almost never are alone, you are always with nooby soldiers helping you, i don't know how people can like this more than Doom 3. They are just fucken morons. Doom 3 It's a SOLO style game, no fucken fools helping you, and made for panic. This game suxs, when you run out of armor or ammo there's always a soldier to give you shit, you don't have fun. Yes, maybe u get solo sometimes, but just for some minutes, I give a 3 for it graphics and plot. Expand
  44. JustinP.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Nothing evolutionary or revolutionary about this game. The single player gameplay was extremely bland and unexciting - although technologically impressive. In all honesty I wish I hadn't forked over my hard-earned money to buy this game, and this is the only reason that I play the game still. Admittedly, only for 15 minute bursts because honestly I can't stand to play longer Nothing evolutionary or revolutionary about this game. The single player gameplay was extremely bland and unexciting - although technologically impressive. In all honesty I wish I hadn't forked over my hard-earned money to buy this game, and this is the only reason that I play the game still. Admittedly, only for 15 minute bursts because honestly I can't stand to play longer than that at any given moment. Expand
  45. ChristopherK.
    Oct 19, 2005
    Quake 4 shows exactly how beautiful the Doom 3 engine is! The single player portion of this game is great, with beautiful MAP design etc. The multiplayer could have been better, but the MOD community will fix that! 8/10.
  46. RyanL.
    May 26, 2006
    I have to say I like it more than doom 3. They sorta messed up the engine while trying to improve it in some ways but didn't hurt is all the way. Gameplay was pretty fun and was intense right from the start. If you say it's boring you probably didn't play it on medium difficulty or highter. Makes it more fun.
  47. RyanS.
    Jun 6, 2006
    not the best of th quake series, but the graphics do make it better than the others (graphic wise). The game IS doom3 because it uses the same engine, it is by the same people. It is just a doom 3 with a different tory and different weapons. the game is dark, but it is supposed to be, to show how the aliens live. It may not have new ideas but it is a fun play.
  48. BlackHood
    Nov 14, 2005
    Nice Game, ran fine in XP64 with AMD64-3000 (1800) 1 gig ram, it's a one time player. took me under 20 hours to beat, sadly. obv with punkbuster and the new engine, if your into multiplayer then get this game.
  49. JamesH.
    Jan 19, 2006
    Overall an enjoyable game in respect to the story mode. Multiplayer leaves little to be desired; quite a step down from Quake III. Fantastic graphics with a lot of options so that the game can be ran well on most systems. I have an Athlon 3500 with 2 GB RAM and a 6800 GT video card and at 1600 x 1200 res I average between 30 and 60 FPS. The anti-aliasing is too much for my system though, Overall an enjoyable game in respect to the story mode. Multiplayer leaves little to be desired; quite a step down from Quake III. Fantastic graphics with a lot of options so that the game can be ran well on most systems. I have an Athlon 3500 with 2 GB RAM and a 6800 GT video card and at 1600 x 1200 res I average between 30 and 60 FPS. The anti-aliasing is too much for my system though, but at high res, the pixels are small enough that it looks godd enough without AA or AF. The game graphics are extremely dark and I had to move the gamm slider up to see where I was going. Game has god sound, but almost no options aside from a master volume control. Sound options are important to me, because I hate loud in-game music and the effects are often too loud, the combined effect of the two often make the voices hard to hear. Very creative assortment of weapons. Why do only the pistol and machine gun have flashlights? This game is apparently set in the distant future, and currently night vision technology is thirty years old. The AI is fair but the variety of enemies is well thought out. Why are NPC chracters not packing good weapons? The best weapon they will have is the hyperblaster. The gore is also a good feature, other FPS games are too benign in that respect. Most of the story mode maps are Strogg bases. It would have been nice to have some decent outdoor maps, maybe some wild alien landscapes a la Halo. Expand
  50. ShawnD
    Oct 6, 2008
    The biggest problem, IMO, is that this game is very hard on the eyes. It's like it's too dark and too bright at the same time; I can't even describe it. Another problem is that the story is retarded. This game tries to have a bunch of characters in it, but all of the characters suck. Dealing with these assholes and being on the ship wastes a ton of time and it slows the The biggest problem, IMO, is that this game is very hard on the eyes. It's like it's too dark and too bright at the same time; I can't even describe it. Another problem is that the story is retarded. This game tries to have a bunch of characters in it, but all of the characters suck. Dealing with these assholes and being on the ship wastes a ton of time and it slows the game down. The driving parts sucked. A lot of the weapons sucked. The shotgun only has 40 ammo max, machine gun is useless, nailgun has exploding ammo so it can't be used close range, hyperblaster bounces off walls so it can't be used close range, explosives are not close range, railgun is mostly a sniper weapon. Can you guess what range most of the fighting is? You guessed it - close range. It's like the developers took Quake 2 and thought "let's cripple the hell out of this game then improve the graphics or something and call it Quake 4". Expand
  51. LeeW.
    Oct 13, 2009
    The multiplayer is nearly identical to that of Quake III except there are less community-created maps and less players, so play this game for the single player, which is nice. The guns are amazingly fun to shoot, and the teammates aren't too dumb, which is a change for friendly A.I., but they still have trouble between understanding how they need to move to avoid fire and follow the The multiplayer is nearly identical to that of Quake III except there are less community-created maps and less players, so play this game for the single player, which is nice. The guns are amazingly fun to shoot, and the teammates aren't too dumb, which is a change for friendly A.I., but they still have trouble between understanding how they need to move to avoid fire and follow the player at the same time, which is always present in video games. The enemy AI doesn't really get advanced until you meet these orange-suited guys in the second half, but it's worth it. As with all Raven games, the art direction is fantastic. The environments are beautifully designed, and the sound is amazing. Again, the second half of the game is mentioned, as piles of bodies and guts, flayed human skin, and gigantic Strogg blood vessels are strewn about the environment making it lovingly dark and eerie. By the end the number of bosses you face (including the silly "challenge room") is ridiculous, but the boss fights are amazing, also a property of Raven games. The story is pretty puh and meh, and many things are stereotypical of science fiction, but it's is a typical video game that doesn't carry its own torch, but excels in many ways. Collapse
  52. Null
    Nov 11, 2005
    I was really impressed with this game. I went into it thinking it would be an expansion of Doom 3 (which I wasn't too impressed with). This game however fix alot of flaws that were in Doom 3. First off the game is alot brighter so you don't have to use your flashlight constantly. Secondly there is alot more deverse gameplay content over what was presented to you in Doom 3. I was really impressed with this game. I went into it thinking it would be an expansion of Doom 3 (which I wasn't too impressed with). This game however fix alot of flaws that were in Doom 3. First off the game is alot brighter so you don't have to use your flashlight constantly. Secondly there is alot more deverse gameplay content over what was presented to you in Doom 3. Don't get me wrong, its still a mindless shooter and once you beat the last boss the game is over and you probally won't play it again. I wouldn't recommend buy this game but its definitley worth a download. Expand
  53. MattN.
    Nov 25, 2005
    Surprisingly good fun, a very simple blaster with nice environments and never too taxing. The game play is very old school but done to perfection for what it is. The gore didn't bother me at all, found it quite entertaining actually. An excellent selection of bad guys and weapons to smoke them with specially liked the dark matter gun. On the downside it's pretty demanding on Surprisingly good fun, a very simple blaster with nice environments and never too taxing. The game play is very old school but done to perfection for what it is. The gore didn't bother me at all, found it quite entertaining actually. An excellent selection of bad guys and weapons to smoke them with specially liked the dark matter gun. On the downside it's pretty demanding on your PC, I've got 3.4Ghz P4 / Geforce 6800 / 2 Gigs RAM and I could really only run it everything set at medium. It looked okay but I would love to see this game with it cranked up on full. I found this far superior to Doom 3. Expand
  54. SamG.
    Nov 12, 2005
    The game is good dont get me wrong. I have finished this game, but one way to look at this game, "its like doom 3, only more teamplay and a better story line".. This game is very fun when playing along soldiers, but when you go solo, it kinda gets boring. because the whole time you are opening doors, killing machines, flicking switches, killing more machines. .. The game is good, dont get The game is good dont get me wrong. I have finished this game, but one way to look at this game, "its like doom 3, only more teamplay and a better story line".. This game is very fun when playing along soldiers, but when you go solo, it kinda gets boring. because the whole time you are opening doors, killing machines, flicking switches, killing more machines. .. The game is good, dont get me wrong. Just that, ID software could've put more effort into making it not such a mindless killing spree..Doom1,2 Quake 1,2 where good sellers because at the time, thick stroy lines were that big of a deal. but with games of today, such as Half-Life 2, FEAR, which both of theses have made great story lines, sucking you in. There is no room anymore for just action games! Expand
  55. BitBurn
    Nov 26, 2005
    Had to get a new video card to play this one! That ol' Radeon 9800 just couldn
  56. TonyZ.
    Nov 29, 2005
    The game is very hard, possibly one of the hardest 1st-person shooters out there so far. The difficulty of the game makes it just that good.
  57. Jan 20, 2012
    Good storylines,multiplayer sucks....thats what it states.Singleplayer looks fine for me.Like an old Quake 2 style,but on Multiplayer,nah.....like Quake 3 with no bots.Still forcing you to find some programs to play with bots.The graphics and sounds are pretty good i guess.
  58. Nov 30, 2011
    A game worth playing for fans of the Strogg storyline. Similar to Doom 3 in mechanics as would be expected. Tons of those little computer screens like Doom. A lot of the weapons are pretty much rehashes of Doom 3 weapons, ie, Grenade Launcher, Machine Gun (which isn't even a machine gun, more of an assault rifle or SMG type thing, why does id always call them that?) "Blaster" which isA game worth playing for fans of the Strogg storyline. Similar to Doom 3 in mechanics as would be expected. Tons of those little computer screens like Doom. A lot of the weapons are pretty much rehashes of Doom 3 weapons, ie, Grenade Launcher, Machine Gun (which isn't even a machine gun, more of an assault rifle or SMG type thing, why does id always call them that?) "Blaster" which is basically the pistol with infinite ammo, Shotgun, etc. Characters you meet throughout the game will sometimes randomly offer to upgrade some of your weapons. Most of them get a kind of modification, some a lot more useful than others. The enemies are reasonably varied but some of the common foot soldiers are especially predictable and almost all enemies display fairly dimwitted AI. Mastering the art of strafing while scoring consistent hits is a must for those sudden close encounters.

A significant part of the game is spent both going solo and fighting in small groups with your AI teammates, which are usually helpful enough if you do your part to stave off enemies so they are not butchered. The Medics and "Techs" are especially helpful to refill your life and armor respectively. But if you are more comfortable as a lone wolf then not to worry, you get plenty of time for that, particularly during the more creepy/horror section of the game. Personally I enjoy the parts where it is actually depicting the 'war' between humanity and the Strogg, and thus you have some small squad-based combat. The horror parts rely mostly on absurd amounts of gore and shock value, which to me after a while is more depressing than scary. These areas also (and the game in general) leave much to be desired for music and audio outside of sound effects of combat and groans/weird crap. Halo knows how to pump you up a bit with some music themes, id should maybe take a lesson for their less horror-driven areas.

As far as plot, the story is interesting enough, but the ending seems kind of abrupt and the final fight was kind of easy once you figured out what to do. I played on the second hardest difficulty out of 4 choices for reference. Sometimes the 'leaders' of your squad make asinine decisions compared to real life, ie, hey, YOU, go on this dangerous solo mission while I apparently do nothing. Or if you secure something they love to leave a single guy behind to guard it, cause you know, he can handle dozens of enemies by himself. Future humanity sucks at organizing for war. But I digress, it's obviously more for game play reasons than it is to make sense.

Overall a decent campaign. Multiplayer is kind of weak and has no bots without installing mods. Worth a bargain price, which by the age of the game you should be able to get.
  59. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a pretty OK game. It could be a lot better, and it shouldn't really be Quake. In the originals, the fun was running, jumping, and shooting. This would be called a "runny-jumpy-shooty" game. Unfortunately, Quake 4 lacks this. Jumping makes you go slower when you land, and you can't run at 5k MPH and shoot things in the face and live. Don't get me wrong, I don't look for this in aThis is a pretty OK game. It could be a lot better, and it shouldn't really be Quake. In the originals, the fun was running, jumping, and shooting. This would be called a "runny-jumpy-shooty" game. Unfortunately, Quake 4 lacks this. Jumping makes you go slower when you land, and you can't run at 5k MPH and shoot things in the face and live. Don't get me wrong, I don't look for this in a game. Only Quake and Doom games. This is too story oriented. And on top of that, the story isn't even very good. I mean, it's OK, but more than that, it's just not worth the time. Now, as for the multiplayer, it's just a copy of Quake III Arena with beefed up player and weapon models. And as for the graphics, even for 2005, it's not that great. The weapon models are cool, the textures are cool, but the character models are just atrocious. Now, I don't say "STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!11!!1!" It can be fun. But it doesn't hold up to the former glory of Quake from 1996. I mean, not even id Software was happy with the way Raven and Bethesda took it. So, maybe if you see it at a used game store for like $10 or on sale on Steam for $10, it might be a good buy. But don't expect lots of runny-jumpy-shooty fun. Expand
  60. Mar 29, 2013
    Very good shooter. To be honest I've never played more scary game. All this cyberpunk theme, biomechanoids, combining human body with computer parts really tickle your nerves. There are very few games I wanted to complete more that one time, and this it is. Even in 2013 you shall try it, if you like horrors. By the way this game is FAR FAR better that Doom 3 just miles ahead.
  61. Nov 18, 2013
    Quake 4 is a good game that effectively utilizes the Doom 3 engine. The game’s plot is quite enthralling with often gruesome in-game cut scenes and Hollywood style acting. In order to beat the Strogg force you actually become one of them later in the game, making for some interesting plot twists. The game’s audio and visuals are excellent and create a dark and scary atmosphere that youQuake 4 is a good game that effectively utilizes the Doom 3 engine. The game’s plot is quite enthralling with often gruesome in-game cut scenes and Hollywood style acting. In order to beat the Strogg force you actually become one of them later in the game, making for some interesting plot twists. The game’s audio and visuals are excellent and create a dark and scary atmosphere that you actually feel a part of. In spite of the excellence of the campaign there are some shortcomings however. The vehicle sections are quite underwhelming and I feel they are only there to advertise the game’s capabilities and variety rather than being a fun experience in their own right. The multiplayer is also rather dull and is essentially just Quake 3 or Open Arena with more high-tech graphics and a lower player base. Expand
  62. Mar 27, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quake 4 is a game that every fan of the fps genre must experience. It's fast paced, it's brutal, it's gory, it's immersive, it's exhilarating, and it's fun. The story is fantastic and the visuals are impressive even by today's standards. The game starts by putting you in the action right away. The only time when you won't be fighting is when you're on board the ship called The Hannibal. If you have ever played Doom 3 or Prey then you will get used to the game quickly because it uses the same engine. The weapons are great. If you've every played any of the other Quake games then you will notice a few familiar weapons. The iconic nail gun, rail gun, and lightning gun make a return. The second half of the game is easily the best part. You become a Strogg. As a Strogg you can now move faster, have increased health and armor, and look even more badass. The Stroggification part is very gruesome and gross. Instead of showing it as a cutscene, it is shown in game. Quake 4 is fantastic. Expand
  63. Nov 26, 2013
    I think i was too much fondled with the fast gameplay of Q3A and UT that this game simply felt slow and boring. And it does not make me want to go back for some reason either. Its not a bad game but i wouldnt call it a good game either. You forget it very fast.
  64. Jul 22, 2014
    A entertaining straight forward no none sense first person shooter. The story is good and the gameplay is alot of fun. No one really plays the multiplayer though. It is still worth it for the singleplayer.
  65. Apr 14, 2015
    this game let me down the chart and good until I hate and the cd-key used code and found incorrect The history and more or less bad enemies many veteran in Easy mode seems the easy way disappointing game

1. The single player campaign uses the old school twitch shooter style that is still enjoyable, but gets repetitive and is ultimately unsatisfying in these days of more sophisticated shooters.
  2. In terms of multiplayer, we’re still trying to figure out what went wrong in that process, because Quake III ruled in that department.
  3. I had a ton of fun playing Quake 4, and while the game started off kind of slow, it picked up quickly and wound up being a solid, action-packed experience without the dreaded "realistic" limitations on combat that so many recent games put on the player.