Quake PC

8.8

1. Apr 3, 2015
    The truth is that Quake, manages to keep you connected to the PC quite well, even though the game does not share a story. I think that is a good game, even for 1996, but for me, now when you play in 2015 seems a children's game.
  2. JaredJ
    Jul 29, 2009
    Even after it was released for the Nintindo 64, I still blazed through the levels again and again. Now I look at it and realize what it was missing, a story. Every time I played it I felt it was missing something. You go through 32 levels with no story. There is nothing more I love then kicking Lucifer's (Satan, Devil) forces back into Hell (as I am a Christian) but it never did grab Even after it was released for the Nintindo 64, I still blazed through the levels again and again. Now I look at it and realize what it was missing, a story. Every time I played it I felt it was missing something. You go through 32 levels with no story. There is nothing more I love then kicking Lucifer's (Satan, Devil) forces back into Hell (as I am a Christian) but it never did grab me the way I hoped because it was missing the most important thing, a story. i.d. Software you will be missed, why did you merge with Bethesda? Expand
  3. LilDude
    Aug 5, 2007
    This game is now a decade old... And its a classic.
  4. Nov 12, 2014
    Quake represents a pivotal moment in the FPS genre when the games finally became truly 3D, rather than "3Dish" like the Doom and Build engines. Gone were the flat, lo-res sprites representing objects, weapons and characters replaced by truly 3D enemies, power-ups, weapons and props. However, in terms of gameplay, I'm going to go against conventional wisdom on this one. Quake is overrated.Quake represents a pivotal moment in the FPS genre when the games finally became truly 3D, rather than "3Dish" like the Doom and Build engines. Gone were the flat, lo-res sprites representing objects, weapons and characters replaced by truly 3D enemies, power-ups, weapons and props. However, in terms of gameplay, I'm going to go against conventional wisdom on this one. Quake is overrated. I remember being ridiculously excited for this game, especially the graphics, but it never quite captured my imagination like Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. Quake was really just Doom with an improved engine. Was it still a fun and extremely playable game? Absolutely. Was it as truly groundbreaking as it should have been? No way. Expand
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    A classic game in its own right. Not the best, most awesome in my opinion, but it's a nice fun shooter. A little fustrating, but what game isn't eh?

I did play this on GL Quake via steam, and the archaic way of resizing the window was just...eh. Not for me. Also, remember +mlook before you begin! So, game play wise the controls are tight. Ranger moves pretty fast, and responds well

So, game play wise the controls are tight. Ranger moves pretty fast, and responds well to your controls. Every control is also customizable as well, and I do have a slight complaint that you can't go "back" when cycling weapons, only forward.

The enemies were alright. Though I wasn't too fond of seeing the Ogre, a foe that launches grenades, all over the place. Them bombs get annoying. But I never honestly got tired of them.

The weapons were okay as well. The shotgun, Super/Double Barreled Shotgun and Rocket Launcher all make a comeback from Good ol' Doom, and new weapons like the Thundergun (or was it LIghting gun?) grenade launcher and nail guns (My personal favorite was the Super Nail Gun).

Game comes with plenty of levels, 4 episodes plus the final boss level, and I like how you navigate to each episode instead of going through a menu like in Doom. Helps it be more immersive.

All in all, count me in as seeing how this one is a classic game, this coming from one of those gamers that didn't grow up with quake.

1. If you're into action games, and even if you're not, you should be playing Quake right now - it's as good as PC gaming gets.
  2. Satan, your game has arrived. It spits up blood and pisses vinegar. It sprouts horns from its head like the proud minion of evil that it is. It shoots lightning bolts, for cripes' sake. It's a game of pure evil. And even purer entertainment. It's also the best action game on the planet.
  3. The graphics, sound, and intelligence factors combine to make a game that will scare the hell out of you! The main problem that Quake seems to have is a lack of identity. It wants to combine "DOOM" elements with Hexen elements which creates a mish-mash effect.