8.9

1. Mar 20, 2011
    damn this game!! one of the best fps out there.. i rembember the panic the.. QUAKE it game to the gaming community... countless hours playing!! what can anyone say? the levels the dark atmosphere the sound the ferosity of the monsters, the worlds past and future embed together in a **** of awesomeness and unparelled adventure.... one of handful games that one must play in his life if real;ly cares about FPS's.
    just finished it again in nightmare skill 3 days ago. the new pack for better graphics darkplaces-tenebrae rock !! now going after the expansions.. i must play for everyone..
  2. Jan 10, 2011
    Words simply cannot fully describe the perfection of competitive multiplayer that is Quake (so I'll be brief). No game has yet improved upon its gameplay, even nearly fifteen years later; I only found the game recently, within the last year or so, and even my knee must bow to the King of Deathmatch. It is tragic that the majority of the multiplayer FPS community has deemed to settle for so much less. Expand
  3. Oct 14, 2011
    The mother of multiplayer FPS games, this was the first internet game I played (back in 96). It completely drew me in and I spent way too much time in front of the computer. It negatively affected some of my grades, but boy was it a blast. I may be a bit biased by saying this since it has a lot of nostalgia factor with me, but IMO it's the best multiplayer FPS game of all time.

For
    gamers today it probably looks very outdated, but back during the mid 90's it was perfect. Expand
  4. Jun 25, 2011
    This game is amazing! I tried not to factor in the nostalgia of the best game of my childhood, but then I realized that I've played this game recently and still love it. Quake 1 is still the king of shooters in my mind, and I'd give it 15/10 if I could.
  5. Feb 21, 2011
    Wow, i remember going to a computer show in 1995 at London and playing this for the first time with the new first ever 3D card, the Geforce Voodoo. Gamers had never seen smooth textured grahics beforeon the PC and to say it blew me away playing it was an understatement, I immediately went and paid for a 3d card at £150 back in 1996 for one (all my wages as a student!!). 3D textured quake back in 1996 was the bomb! I played it endlessly online lol, a great game and aside from quake and wolfenstein, a classic! Expand
  6. Mar 16, 2011
    Extremely good FPS game. One of the best if not the best. Multiplayer made this game ever green classic and only thing I find bad is that it's textures are bit too alike to each other.
  7. SDM
    Jun 21, 2011
    Fifteen years after installing the original Quake on my Pentium 166MHz for the first time, the game is still one of my three favourite first person shooters.
  8. Jun 10, 2012
    Look at this game.
    Now look at the reviews.
    Now look back at my reccomendation.

There are no scores under 6.
    Therefore this game is pristine and excellent. And the best part is that the download takes 20 seconds because of how old it is.
  9. Nov 19, 2012
    After 2 decades, there is no doubt that the first Quake is still one of the most revolutionary and incredible games ever made. With arguably the best graphics at time, Quake creates an unique world with an incredible atmosphere that was never seen until it. Totally 3d, sometimes looking better even than games that came after, Quake is a masterpiece for many reasons: the excellent controllers, the great diversity of weapons, enemies and levels, the depth of level exploration, the amazing atmosphere created, the great multiplayer and the gorgeous music/sound effect made by Trent Reznor (you can even see the Nine Inch Nails logo in the ammo boxes). With an engaging gameplay during 4 episodes of game, set in different locations, Quake never gets boring thanks to great level design, mixing puzzles and combat. The fans still waiting for a sequel, one time the next games with the name "Quake" only shared the name of the series. It stands alongside the first Doom as the best game ever made by legendary Id Software softhouse. Expand
  10. Nov 24, 2012
    Epic game.
    A FPS which, with DOOM, has started a genre of games called FPS Arena. Technically excellent, as well as the gameplay. If you aren't very skilled with games, you won't like this, and that's why it's excellent: it is extremely challenging.
    Probably, one of the best games ever made.
  11. Dec 31, 2012
    I never finished the single player version of the game but I played it online for 6 years of addictive fun. ID revolutionised multiplayer FPS with this game and Quakeworld was even better. The game was incredibly versitile with things like rocket jumping, speed jumping, custom binding scripts etc. Then there were the TF and CTF mods that I played extensively too. The game revolutionised 3D FPS games too and the GL versions were a thing of beauty when I first beheld them. This is one of my favourite games of all time and I can't understand why people would ever give this a negative score. Expand
  12. May 27, 2012
    SIMPLY THE ONLY-KING-MASTER-AMAZING GAME OF ALL ETERNITY!!! i always tell people (after I say that i have been playing it for 12 years, and WILL NEVER gonna stop playing it (Quake World) that this game has 3 dimensions of SKILLs, you have AIM/SHOOT/WEAPONS skill, STRATEGY/TACTIC skill, and you have the THIRD skill dimension, that NO-FPS-GAME NEVER WILL HAVE: MOVEMENT/MOTION skill....... this is just the only explanation, the best reason, to confirm that this is BY FAR THE BEST GAME OF ETERNITY... Expand
  13. Nov 18, 2012
    This game revolutionized what we know to be 3d, lighting, and open-sourced add-ons. Simply amazing game that I spent countless hours admiring. Beautiful game.
  14. Nov 20, 2012
    Quake... In my childhood played this game all the time. It's addictive and fast paced if any of you didn't played it, try it out even if its old as hell.
  15. Jan 2, 2013
    Why is ID soft. making the best fps/arcade fps games in the world? I remember Quake as the first FPS game with an awesome balanced multiplayer, great engine, lenghty and cool single player, high repetetive value. This game was so innovative back in the day, that you could easily call it a precursor (a great or even perfect one) to todays best arcade multiplayer fps games.
  16. Oct 16, 2013
    My first Love! Quake is one of the better FPS I ever played the old boys of ID, was greatest masters in balancing all the main elements that make a good game. the better quality is that was the first game to in giving you the feeling of diving in gameplay turning my monitor in 3d display. But-but-but... there are no word to describe the perfection of multiplayer side. One of the best of all time! Expand
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    Best Single Player and Multi Player game ever. Fast, balanced is a perfect game who requires a lot of skills. Also Unreal Tournament and Serious Sam are good game but, Quake 1 is better.
  18. Nov 28, 2013
    Almost 20 years later, Quake is still the superior game compared to other first person shooters of today. I can't help but giggle to myself when I hear today's FPS games marketed as "revolutionary fast paced blah blah blah". The run speed in this game is about 3-4x faster than any FPS made today (no exaggeration). Maps consist of maze-like arenas, which makes for a higher skill cap for non-casual players. Guns are more unique and interesting (you can also carry more than 2 at a time! Amazing!), the art design is even more interesting despite the technical aspects being comparatively ancient. In a lot of ways, Quake remains the pinnacle of the genre in terms of gameplay and appealing to non-casuals. Though no game is perfect, I have to score the game as a 10, since I only have the option of using integers. My real score is 9.7. Expand
  19. Jul 25, 2013
    There is no game till this day with a stronger atmosphere. I still play it (with modern mods). The Gameplay was simple and perfectly balanced. I love it and its sad that new games seem to need a story now while loosing the focus on the important simple things.
  20. Nov 11, 2013
    Quake is a hallmark of game design. Innovation, fast-paced in-your-face action, gore and ultra-violence, kick-ass weapons, and endless fun! Quake was the first truly 3D FPS game thanks to the genius intellect of John Carmack. Modern gaming wouldn't be the same without this game and the code behind it. Brilliant, unmatched and immortal! 10/10
  21. Dec 11, 2012
    One of the best FPSes ever made. I'm not sure what else there is to say about it! If you haven't played this and DOOM you are really missing out on the crown jewels of the innovators of the genre (id). My favorite numbered Quake game because of excellent map design, an exhilarating sense of speed and movement, and unique environments & enemies. My only grip is the fourth act is very dark to the point that you're often crawling down corridors and backpedalling when you run into something, unlike the almost racing game-pace of the rest of the game. Expand
  22. Oct 27, 2013
    Simply put, the most exciting, challenging and perfect TDM First-Person-Shooter ever created.

Quake will probably continue to be the best game ever made well into the 22nd Century, seeing as nobody seems to even attempt to emulate it's obvious superiority.
  23. Nov 6, 2013
    This is by far the best FPS to ever be released. Ever. It's probably also the best overall game of all time. Great job id. you made a fast paced, kick ass experience of a game.
  24. Feb 21, 2014
    A classic game in its own right. Not the best, most awesome in my opinion, but it's a nice fun shooter. A little fustrating, but what game isn't eh?

I did play this on GL Quake via steam, and the archaic way of resizing the window was just...eh. Not for me. Also, remember +mlook before you begin!

So, game play wise the controls are tight. Ranger moves pretty fast, and responds well
    to your controls. Every control is also customizable as well, and I do have a slight complaint that you can't go "back" when cycling weapons, only forward.

The enemies were alright. Though I wasn't too fond of seeing the Ogre, a foe that launches grenades, all over the place. Them bombs get annoying. But I never honestly got tired of them.

The weapons were okay as well. The shotgun, Super/Double Barreled Shotgun and Rocket Launcher all make a comeback from Good ol' Doom, and new weapons like the Thundergun (or was it LIghting gun?) grenade launcher and nail guns (My personal favorite was the Super Nail Gun).

Game comes with plenty of levels, 4 episodes plus the final boss level, and I like how you navigate to each episode instead of going through a menu like in Doom. Helps it be more immersive.

All in all, count me in as seeing how this one is a classic game, this coming from one of those gamers that didn't grow up with quake.
  25. Jun 7, 2014
    Unrivaled awesomeness, the king of games, the granddaddy of them all, Quake says to other games "Who's your daddy?" and the other games say "you are". I used to attribute the greatness of Quake to Carmack, but Carmack stayed at Id and oversaw its downfall. No, the greatness of Quake was Romero and others that left Id after Quake 2. Romero wasn't able to run a game company himself, but as a designer he was a genius. Quake was high speed poker while everything after is electronic darts. Sadly electronic darts is popular because it requires no intelligence. Quake was from a time when games were works of art created by inspired geniuses, not cash grabs designed by a committee of marketeers to cater to the lowest common denominator of tastes. Quake predates the phrase "casual gamer" and "casual friendly"... back then there were no casual gamers. Even Quake 3 with it's easy 'balanced' weapons is a joke compared to Quake 1 - Carmack said he wanted players to be able to kill better players some of the time instead of scores like 14 to -2 in Quake tournament finals, so he introduced a bunch of powerful easy kill hit scan and random spray weapons including the default gun, so you can get some lucky kills against better players and not feel so bad. But if we want randomness to make people not feel bad, then why are we playing at all? Why not just roll dice against each other... leading us to WoW and the hellish 'casual friendly' state of online games. Think of Quake as the anti-WoW. Quake World (exactly like Quake except for the net code) was the beginning of the end when the world decided that it wanted to be lied to, and instead of being able to feel and compensate for lag, we would just pretend there is no lag... but hiding the lag means you can't play around it, making a ping disadvantage into a permanent real disadvantage. WoW and almost everything else is like the state of schools now where people don't get F's and 0's anymore and sports that don't keep score... while in Quake 2nd place gets a negative score against 1st place (no kills and a bunch of accidental suicides). There's a term "depth of skill" used when analyzing games, it is the degree that skill matters... and Quake had it more than any other video game (and in non-video games Quake is rivaled only by Chess and Go). Expand

1. If you're into action games, and even if you're not, you should be playing Quake right now - it's as good as PC gaming gets.
  2. Satan, your game has arrived. It spits up blood and pisses vinegar. It sprouts horns from its head like the proud minion of evil that it is. It shoots lightning bolts, for cripes' sake. It's a game of pure evil. And even purer entertainment. It's also the best action game on the planet.
  3. The graphics, sound, and intelligence factors combine to make a game that will scare the hell out of you! The main problem that Quake seems to have is a lack of identity. It wants to combine "DOOM" elements with Hexen elements which creates a mish-mash effect.