8.8

1. ScribbleS
    Mar 30, 2010
    To this day, I still think Quake 1 is the best online FPS gameplay (balance and fun) that has ever existed and compared to all other online FPS both current and old. Quake 1 is old, but other FPS owe more to Quake 1 than people think.
  2. AndrewH
    Feb 18, 2010
    This, as far as i can remember, Quake was the first action game i have ever played. I was a year old when it came out in 1996 and i often got in trouble for playing it without permission. Even today i still play it with the Darkplaces mod which makes it look better than ever. Quake deserves all of the credit for revolutionizing the gaming industry. ID Software, this time i solute YOU!!!
  3. Mar 20, 2011
    damn this game!! one of the best fps out there.. i rembember the panic the.. QUAKE it game to the gaming community... countless hours playing!! what can anyone say? the levels the dark atmosphere the sound the ferosity of the monsters, the worlds past and future embed together in a **** of awesomeness and unparelled adventure.... one of handful games that one must play in his life ifdamn this game!! one of the best fps out there.. i rembember the panic the.. QUAKE it game to the gaming community... countless hours playing!! what can anyone say? the levels the dark atmosphere the sound the ferosity of the monsters, the worlds past and future embed together in a **** of awesomeness and unparelled adventure.... one of handful games that one must play in his life if real;ly cares about FPS's.
    just finished it again in nightmare skill 3 days ago. the new pack for better graphics darkplaces-tenebrae rock !! now going after the expansions.. i must play for everyone..
  4. Jun 25, 2011
    This game is amazing! I tried not to factor in the nostalgia of the best game of my childhood, but then I realized that I've played this game recently and still love it. Quake 1 is still the king of shooters in my mind, and I'd give it 15/10 if I could.
  5. SDM
    Jun 21, 2011
    Fifteen years after installing the original Quake on my Pentium 166MHz for the first time, the game is still one of my three favourite first person shooters.
  6. Nov 28, 2013
    Almost 20 years later, Quake is still the superior game compared to other first person shooters of today. I can't help but giggle to myself when I hear today's FPS games marketed as "revolutionary fast paced blah blah blah". The run speed in this game is about 3-4x faster than any FPS made today (no exaggeration). Maps consist of maze-like arenas, which makes for a higher skill cap forAlmost 20 years later, Quake is still the superior game compared to other first person shooters of today. I can't help but giggle to myself when I hear today's FPS games marketed as "revolutionary fast paced blah blah blah". The run speed in this game is about 3-4x faster than any FPS made today (no exaggeration). Maps consist of maze-like arenas, which makes for a higher skill cap for non-casual players. Guns are more unique and interesting (you can also carry more than 2 at a time! Amazing!), the art design is even more interesting despite the technical aspects being comparatively ancient. In a lot of ways, Quake remains the pinnacle of the genre in terms of gameplay and appealing to non-casuals. Though no game is perfect, I have to score the game as a 10, since I only have the option of using integers. My real score is 9.7. Expand
  7. JesseB
    Dec 27, 2009
    i cant help but feel extremely nostalgic every time i load this game up. and what else can you give the game that broke up out of the 2.5D and into 3d? 10
  8. Jan 10, 2011
    Words simply cannot fully describe the perfection of competitive multiplayer that is Quake (so I'll be brief). No game has yet improved upon its gameplay, even nearly fifteen years later; I only found the game recently, within the last year or so, and even my knee must bow to the King of Deathmatch. It is tragic that the majority of the multiplayer FPS community has deemed to settle for soWords simply cannot fully describe the perfection of competitive multiplayer that is Quake (so I'll be brief). No game has yet improved upon its gameplay, even nearly fifteen years later; I only found the game recently, within the last year or so, and even my knee must bow to the King of Deathmatch. It is tragic that the majority of the multiplayer FPS community has deemed to settle for so much less. Expand
  9. Oct 14, 2011
    The mother of multiplayer FPS games, this was the first internet game I played (back in 96). It completely drew me in and I spent way too much time in front of the computer. It negatively affected some of my grades, but boy was it a blast. I may be a bit biased by saying this since it has a lot of nostalgia factor with me, but IMO it's the best multiplayer FPS game of all time.

For

For gamers today it probably looks very outdated, but back during the mid 90's it was perfect.
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    Extremely good FPS game. One of the best if not the best. Multiplayer made this game ever green classic and only thing I find bad is that it's textures are bit too alike to each other.
  11. PaulK
    Aug 19, 2009
    Amazing - years after it was first released and it's still better than lots of games out now :-)
  12. Nov 19, 2012
    After 2 decades, there is no doubt that the first Quake is still one of the most revolutionary and incredible games ever made. With arguably the best graphics at time, Quake creates an unique world with an incredible atmosphere that was never seen until it. Totally 3d, sometimes looking better even than games that came after, Quake is a masterpiece for many reasons: the excellentAfter 2 decades, there is no doubt that the first Quake is still one of the most revolutionary and incredible games ever made. With arguably the best graphics at time, Quake creates an unique world with an incredible atmosphere that was never seen until it. Totally 3d, sometimes looking better even than games that came after, Quake is a masterpiece for many reasons: the excellent controllers, the great diversity of weapons, enemies and levels, the depth of level exploration, the amazing atmosphere created, the great multiplayer and the gorgeous music/sound effect made by Trent Reznor (you can even see the Nine Inch Nails logo in the ammo boxes). With an engaging gameplay during 4 episodes of game, set in different locations, Quake never gets boring thanks to great level design, mixing puzzles and combat. The fans still waiting for a sequel, one time the next games with the name "Quake" only shared the name of the series. It stands alongside the first Doom as the best game ever made by legendary Id Software softhouse. Expand
  13. Nov 20, 2012
    Quake... In my childhood played this game all the time. It's addictive and fast paced if any of you didn't played it, try it out even if its old as hell.
  14. Nov 24, 2012
    Epic game.
    A FPS which, with DOOM, has started a genre of games called FPS Arena. Technically excellent, as well as the gameplay. If you aren't very skilled with games, you won't like this, and that's why it's excellent: it is extremely challenging.
    Probably, one of the best games ever made.
  15. chasep
    Nov 15, 2009
    God bless Quake. I love you. The BEST memories I have with regards to gaming are thanks to this amazing release. The intro map and Abandoned Base are responsible for countless 20+ hour frag fests that my friends and I still joke and laugh about to this day, over a decade after we stopped playing. I doubt there will ever be a game released that I truly enjoy more than the time I spent God bless Quake. I love you. The BEST memories I have with regards to gaming are thanks to this amazing release. The intro map and Abandoned Base are responsible for countless 20+ hour frag fests that my friends and I still joke and laugh about to this day, over a decade after we stopped playing. I doubt there will ever be a game released that I truly enjoy more than the time I spent playing Quake. Expand
  16. Feb 21, 2011
    Wow, i remember going to a computer show in 1995 at London and playing this for the first time with the new first ever 3D card, the Geforce Voodoo. Gamers had never seen smooth textured grahics beforeon the PC and to say it blew me away playing it was an understatement, I immediately went and paid for a 3d card at £150 back in 1996 for one (all my wages as a student!!). 3DWow, i remember going to a computer show in 1995 at London and playing this for the first time with the new first ever 3D card, the Geforce Voodoo. Gamers had never seen smooth textured grahics beforeon the PC and to say it blew me away playing it was an understatement, I immediately went and paid for a 3d card at £150 back in 1996 for one (all my wages as a student!!). 3D textured quake back in 1996 was the bomb! I played it endlessly online lol, a great game and aside from quake and wolfenstein, a classic! Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2012
    This game revolutionized what we know to be 3d, lighting, and open-sourced add-ons. Simply amazing game that I spent countless hours admiring. Beautiful game.
  18. Dec 31, 2012
    I never finished the single player version of the game but I played it online for 6 years of addictive fun. ID revolutionised multiplayer FPS with this game and Quakeworld was even better. The game was incredibly versitile with things like rocket jumping, speed jumping, custom binding scripts etc. Then there were the TF and CTF mods that I played extensively too. The game revolutionised 3DI never finished the single player version of the game but I played it online for 6 years of addictive fun. ID revolutionised multiplayer FPS with this game and Quakeworld was even better. The game was incredibly versitile with things like rocket jumping, speed jumping, custom binding scripts etc. Then there were the TF and CTF mods that I played extensively too. The game revolutionised 3D FPS games too and the GL versions were a thing of beauty when I first beheld them. This is one of my favourite games of all time and I can't understand why people would ever give this a negative score. Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    Best Single Player and Multi Player game ever. Fast, balanced is a perfect game who requires a lot of skills. Also Unreal Tournament and Serious Sam are good game but, Quake 1 is better.
  20. Jul 25, 2013
    There is no game till this day with a stronger atmosphere. I still play it (with modern mods). The Gameplay was simple and perfectly balanced. I love it and its sad that new games seem to need a story now while loosing the focus on the important simple things.
  21. ArturP.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Never dying game! still has a strong community all around the world, still servers and gamers, great spirit of old times :) great job ID !
  22. PeterB.
    Aug 7, 2007
    FPS in its purest form. Quake helped make the industry what it is today.
  23. JeffM.
    Nov 11, 2004
    This game was revolutionary and changed many's perspective on FPS. The large following of Quake and jumpstarted the online gaming community or deathmatch teamplay. Quake's engine created by id was and still is a model used for future games.
  24. RobertK
    Oct 8, 2009
    Quake is still the definition of 3d gaming. There have been no major jumps since, and probably won't be any major jumps like it ever again. Until we find a way to make it more real than it already is, Quake will always be no. 1. And who cares if its a decade old? All the shooters you've played since 1994 were not only inspired by Quake, but built on it.
  25. ScottM.
    Aug 13, 2007
    I have been playing fps games for about 4 years and I have found quake to be one of the most fun games that I have ever played, it is basically set the bar for all other fpses to aspire to.
  26. JasonC.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Pay your respects, for this (Quakeworld) be the granddaddy of all online fps games!
  27. JonathanM.
    Sep 30, 2007
    It's a 10 back in the day and still at least a 6 or 7 now. This and Wolfenstein 3D (the original) are what cultivated my love of first person shooters. It's amazing how scary and intense that game can be *today* on a graphics engine that old. Seriously. The gothic theme, interesting enemies, and well-designed levels make the Quake experience something you aren't likely to It's a 10 back in the day and still at least a 6 or 7 now. This and Wolfenstein 3D (the original) are what cultivated my love of first person shooters. It's amazing how scary and intense that game can be *today* on a graphics engine that old. Seriously. The gothic theme, interesting enemies, and well-designed levels make the Quake experience something you aren't likely to confuse with anything else. Very entertaining multiplayer, too. I have to say that id has fallen quite far since then. Quake 1 and the first couple of the Doom series are the best games, by far, they've ever made. Expand
  28. AnttiA.
    Mar 27, 2008
    Best FPS out there. Was and still is #1. Music gives awesome tension and gameplay is just pure gold. First modern FPS game. Everything after this is based to this. HL uses modified Quake engine and CS and TeamFortress where born from this game's modding culture.
    May 28, 2009
    An all-time classic and a must play for any FPS gamer. Quake was a totally revolutionary game for the time, with the most advanced 3D engine ever built. Quake is still very playable even on modern day hardware despite the older graphics. There are a multitude of single player missions but multiplayer is where this game really takes off with co-op or deathmatch gameplay. This game An all-time classic and a must play for any FPS gamer. Quake was a totally revolutionary game for the time, with the most advanced 3D engine ever built. Quake is still very playable even on modern day hardware despite the older graphics. There are a multitude of single player missions but multiplayer is where this game really takes off with co-op or deathmatch gameplay. This game pioneered the almighty rocket jump and competitive deathmatch and will forever be one of the best games of all time. Period. Expand
  30. Dimi
    Apr 16, 2005
    Revolutionized the FPS-scene and gaming on the net for ever.

1. If you're into action games, and even if you're not, you should be playing Quake right now - it's as good as PC gaming gets.
  2. Satan, your game has arrived. It spits up blood and pisses vinegar. It sprouts horns from its head like the proud minion of evil that it is. It shoots lightning bolts, for cripes' sake. It's a game of pure evil. And even purer entertainment. It's also the best action game on the planet.
  3. The graphics, sound, and intelligence factors combine to make a game that will scare the hell out of you! The main problem that Quake seems to have is a lack of identity. It wants to combine "DOOM" elements with Hexen elements which creates a mish-mash effect.