5.1

1. Oct 22, 2011
    Since many of the graphic issues have been fixed here is my take on the CURRENT state of the game.
    1. Too short - 8-10 hours of game play max for single player even if you suck at racing
    2. Graphics are STILL not top notch for a PC game. The excuse that it is designed mostly for consoles is inexcusable. If you are designing for a console only, leave it there. 3. Nice weapon and ammo
    3. Nice weapon and ammo mechanics make for some nice differences
    4. Story starts out strong with OK acting and ends abruptly with little in the way of gaming climax. End cinematic was fine, but the end game play was shockingly nonexistent.
  2. Oct 10, 2011
    Game is running smoothly on my system, graphics are ok. Game itself just is very boring and linear. I hate that there is no physics, except for what there is when driving, you can't destroy any environment what so ever. Also Rage's story doesn't inspire me to continue playing. Sounds suck. Blah
  3. Oct 4, 2011
    Still unable to get into this POS game. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE. Both Bethsoft and Steams Rage game forums are filled with nothing but threads with players who are having massive issues with this game. ID, your shine has long lost it's luster and I will never look at you in the same shining light as a game developer.
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is worthless. A lot of people are trying to blame Nvidia and especially AMD but the reality is that unless the game specifies unreleased drivers as part of the requirements, then it should function at least capably on what's already out there.
    I like many people cannot even get the game to start without a crash. If you want to see something funny go watch the videos of textures and gameplay.
    If you want a real review of the game from someone that's managed to be able to play it head over to Ars Technica. What a pathetic flop!!!
  5. Oct 7, 2011
    Very disappointing game. I will leave the graphics and texture issues to the other users. My biggest issue is the game play and story line....very very weak. Like "Urrid" (another reader) I actually registered an account here to properly rate this child game. I got caught up in the marketing and the fact I just haven't played a good game all year. Maybe Dues Ex, but that had it'sVery disappointing game. I will leave the graphics and texture issues to the other users. My biggest issue is the game play and story line....very very weak. Like "Urrid" (another reader) I actually registered an account here to properly rate this child game. I got caught up in the marketing and the fact I just haven't played a good game all year. Maybe Dues Ex, but that had it's shortcoming, which drove me to look for the next game to fulfill my internal itch..or ID...ir whatever.. Ok, my psychological issues aside, here is my problems with the game. 1. Story line - What is the point of me being there. I've played for a few hours and I am just running missions with no real character need. 2. The open world is really a closed world. Visually it looks OK, but there are only a few paths to take. 3. Missions are super easy (on Difficult) and are to focused on the path the game wants to take me. I can't diverge it some other sector of the game if I wish to. Sure there are side missions, but they are completed quickly. Talking to the other characters in the game is boring and in today's market, games should provide a path to take the conversations. This is a one to one and start a mission. 4. The bosses look pretty cool but are easy and somewhat stationary. 5. Character enhancements and weapons. Just plain weak. In all this game should not be rated M. It is kids 8-14. And that is an insult for anyone over 8 years old. This game is simple in game play, story line and graphics. I will keep playing until someone recommends an alternative or until MW3 or ME3 comes out....The developers did get my money though. *sigh* what a disappointment. Expand
  6. Oct 7, 2011
    Not really what I had hoped for... Carmack+Bethesda= mediocrity. ID was a great software company, but don't let their name on the box fool you, this ain't Quake 5. More or less this is the retarded child you would get if you mixed Borderlands and Fallout 3. Borderlands 2 will be much better, avoid buyers remorse save your money and enjoy that, but avoid this boring ass game. Mechanics C-Not really what I had hoped for... Carmack+Bethesda= mediocrity. ID was a great software company, but don't let their name on the box fool you, this ain't Quake 5. More or less this is the retarded child you would get if you mixed Borderlands and Fallout 3. Borderlands 2 will be much better, avoid buyers remorse save your money and enjoy that, but avoid this boring ass game. Mechanics C- Story B- Voice Acting B+ Multiplayer F Expand
  7. Oct 7, 2011
    After several tweaks and homebrew fixes (note: from users, as of this writing no official patch has yet been released) I've managed to get Rage to at least be playable, though not bug free. Textures still pop-in from time to time, unexplained graphical glitches are commonplace and the occasional crash-to-desktop from a loading screen still occur. Enough about that though, most of theAfter several tweaks and homebrew fixes (note: from users, as of this writing no official patch has yet been released) I've managed to get Rage to at least be playable, though not bug free. Textures still pop-in from time to time, unexplained graphical glitches are commonplace and the occasional crash-to-desktop from a loading screen still occur. Enough about that though, most of the negative reviews cover that well enough. The game itself is... decent. The actual shooting portion is engaging, though super easy - you are functionally immortal due to regenerating health AND on-demand medikits. Really?? Add in a cover system and you've got the trifecta. The enemies are pretty cool, and levels are a blast to play through.... the first time. Rage commits a cardinal sin in a game by padding content with maps you play though normally, then return and play through them again either reversed or with sections blocked off. It was unacceptable in Dragon Age 2, and it's unacceptable here. The racing/driving portions are fun enough but controls are odd if you don't play with a gamepad. All in all Rage could have been a much better game without the design shortcuts and if it had actual bug testing before launch. As it stands the game doesn't have enough content (roughly 15 hours if you do all sidequests and run every race) to warrant dropping $60. If you absolutely must play it, wait until the price drops to $20-$30 probably next month. I'm uninstalling as I write this. Expand
  8. oso
    Oct 8, 2011
    Can't belief that this pile of crap has been produced by the same geniuses that created quake, doom and wolfenstein. For Years i wished so greatly to finally play this game but the disappointment i experienced today is indescribable. Mainly the optical issues (incredible bugs and non available advanced options) made me hate this game so much i'd just like to hit tim willits in the faceCan't belief that this pile of crap has been produced by the same geniuses that created quake, doom and wolfenstein. For Years i wished so greatly to finally play this game but the disappointment i experienced today is indescribable. Mainly the optical issues (incredible bugs and non available advanced options) made me hate this game so much i'd just like to hit tim willits in the face with it till he god damn apologizes for every single cent i wasted with it. Expand
  9. Oct 4, 2011
    I have a high end gaming pc with the latest driver and this game is unplayable...Crashes all of the time. Not to mention the textures suck and pop in issues.
  10. Oct 8, 2011
    this is awful. I have a pc that can on paper run rage without problems. but i have most times maximal 14 fps. and there is a lot of bugs, bugs and bugs. Textures are for **** and the worst problem is that the game works perfectly well on consoles! DONT BUY THIS GAME FOR PC!
  11. Oct 7, 2011
    1. pretty linear with no open world area.
    2. You exit an ongoing mission and you will loose everything you have done so far.
    3. Blurry texture, with pretty low refresh rate, even with up to date drivers and pretty decent pc build 4. amazingly fast enemy combine with blurry texture....hell on earth. 5. cannot rotate camera while driving vehicule. 6. Got stuck in a wall and had to blow
    1. pretty linear with no open world area.
    4. amazingly fast enemy combine with blurry texture....hell on earth.
    5. cannot rotate camera while driving vehicule.
    6. Got stuck in a wall and had to blow myself up with a grenage to move back again.
    Was this game ever tested?

Graphics would be good, borderland style, if we could pay attention to backgrounds but it seriously hurt my eyes when i concentrate on something else that my own gun.
    Im trying hard to find positive points to this game, but i finished 2 quests and im already bored since we are now used to better quality.
    Im really disapointed that bethesda is involved in a game without choice making. I got used to games like Elder scrolls and Fallout and i was expecting something in the same category. All i received with Rage is an even more buggy game even if i experienced ctd and corrupted save games with these other titles.
    I won't be hasty next time i see bethesda softworks as the publisher.
    And if someone is still wondering if he should buy this, even with all these bad reviews, i would STRONGLY suggest to get a console version and wait for a BIG SALE. This game is not even close to a 60 bucks value. Maybe a 10$ that is all.
  12. Oct 4, 2011
    This game has hyped to the max for 2 years. Carmack brags about this game's engine only to be infested with so much bugs and glitches that it's unplayable for most people.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 2011 Daikatana. pros: - john goodman - pretty graphics cons - horrible horrible pc optimization. artifacts, slow texture loading, blinking - consolized video setting, you can only

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 2011 Daikatana.

pros:
    - john goodman
    - pretty graphics

cons
    - horrible horrible pc optimization. artifacts, slow texture loading, blinking
    - consolized video setting, you can only change the resolution and the AA. autodetect is a sham, carmack promised 60fps gameplay but I'm getting 20-25 fps with stuttering.
    - $60 PC game
    - Carmack's solution to this problem? "lol just update your drivers, silly pc gamers"
  13. Oct 8, 2011
    Carmack you are the biggest disappointment in PC gaming history, you **** on the people you own all your success to. Carmack pretended knowingly to cater to PC to build hype, cash in on preorders using his former fame, and then delivering a lazy, embarrassing, piece of crap software and also having the insolence to ask full price for his great turd. Stop making excuses and at least admitCarmack you are the biggest disappointment in PC gaming history, you **** on the people you own all your success to. Carmack pretended knowingly to cater to PC to build hype, cash in on preorders using his former fame, and then delivering a lazy, embarrassing, piece of crap software and also having the insolence to ask full price for his great turd. Stop making excuses and at least admit you have lost all passion for gaming and are only interested in cold cash. STAY AWAY. Expand
  14. Oct 4, 2011
    Extremely Disapointing. Story line is Dull, Graphics are very poor, and VERY brown, with a hint of dark brown to change it up. Gameplay is rather dull, offers nothing new, or innovative. Texture pop in awful on my i7 2500k Nvidia 560TI 1GB. Low Frame rates, long loading times, ZERO graphics options, unable to turn on V-SYNC so the tearing is bad. gunplay is well.. shockingly badExtremely Disapointing. Story line is Dull, Graphics are very poor, and VERY brown, with a hint of dark brown to change it up. Gameplay is rather dull, offers nothing new, or innovative. Texture pop in awful on my i7 2500k Nvidia 560TI 1GB. Low Frame rates, long loading times, ZERO graphics options, unable to turn on V-SYNC so the tearing is bad. gunplay is well.. shockingly bad considering who made this, the guns dont have any UMPH and seem poor when you hear the noises.

By far the most disapointing game i have played this year. What the heck happened to you ID?
  15. Oct 4, 2011
    Intro is really neat, everything looking great, and then the game starts.

I walk out into the vast world, it looks amazing, and then I turn to the left. My textures disappear. They load back a second later though. This is a joke.

i52500/gtx460
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    A game that touted its graphics. Its gameplay. Marred in glitches. The MEGA TEXTURE was reduced to comply with the poor performance of consoles. Unfortunately that reduced quality texture work made it to the PC. The game as in gameplay is a rather generic FPS with some pretty charismatic enemies. Unfortunately those enemies are in a corridor esq environment all of the time. Though it looksA game that touted its graphics. Its gameplay. Marred in glitches. The MEGA TEXTURE was reduced to comply with the poor performance of consoles. Unfortunately that reduced quality texture work made it to the PC. The game as in gameplay is a rather generic FPS with some pretty charismatic enemies. Unfortunately those enemies are in a corridor esq environment all of the time. Though it looks like open world, it is in all reality a DOOM with a sun roof. If you are in the market for this game stay away until they Patch it, Enhance it, and update the graphics settings to comply with todays pcs. Carmack was interviewed recently and expressed his regret in making the game simultaneously for the pc and consoles, due to the fact that pc kept multiplying in power over the 6 years they took to make the game, the game suffered from having to choose between the horse power of the pc or the 50 million sold xbox and PS3s, they chose the latter and it shows. . Unfortunately, until the issues of the horrid textures (at it's best Prey at it's worst comparable to shenmue), the graphical anomalies, the no settings attributes and perhaps even the less then enthralling environments on which the game has you duke it out with its foes. It remains a game locked in the past with DOOM 3 hiding under a ruble of it's own ambition, an ambition marred by 6 year old tech Expand
  17. Oct 4, 2011
    As someone who WAS a loyal ID fan I am officially done with this company. The fact that they released this game in this condition is appalling. Most, if not the majority reviewers (check forums its not a localized event) have machines that are meeting or surpassing the required specs, and yet this game is completely unplayable in most respects and shows overall how ID has left pc gamersAs someone who WAS a loyal ID fan I am officially done with this company. The fact that they released this game in this condition is appalling. Most, if not the majority reviewers (check forums its not a localized event) have machines that are meeting or surpassing the required specs, and yet this game is completely unplayable in most respects and shows overall how ID has left pc gamers out to dry. Carmack has officially lost all respect in the pc community with statements like "well be sure to update your drivers and that should solve most problems"...lmao.... really John?...

If not for the screen tearing, textures failing to load, models popping on the screen for no apparent reason, flashing everything, and low fps, this may have been an awesome game, but looks like the 2 homeless guys and the chimp that they hired to port it from console to pc, may not have done the best job.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
    (or at least not until it has been completely overhauled with massive patching to even begin fixing the massive gamebreaking bugs this game has.)

ID tech 5.....more like Crap tech 5
  18. Oct 4, 2011
    I registered an account here just to say how horridly iD and Bethesda botched the PC port of Rage. I have a system that is well above recommended specs with a very common ATI card and the texture draw in and framerate issues on launch are horrendous. How this game got out the door in this shape is a mystery to me, but now I would be curious to see it on my PS3. Perhaps PC users are noI registered an account here just to say how horridly iD and Bethesda botched the PC port of Rage. I have a system that is well above recommended specs with a very common ATI card and the texture draw in and framerate issues on launch are horrendous. How this game got out the door in this shape is a mystery to me, but now I would be curious to see it on my PS3. Perhaps PC users are no longer worthy of receiving a working product? Expand
  19. Oct 4, 2011
    I cant believe how bad Id failed to deliver on this one. It had so much potential, but I'm suck with textures that disappear as soon as I look around and frame rates jump around from 20-60fps like crazy. All with almost no graphics options (res. and AA. There isn't even Vsync). I'm running this game on a 3.4Ghz Phenom II quad-core and a 6970... yet it's totally unplayable. Id can go ****I cant believe how bad Id failed to deliver on this one. It had so much potential, but I'm suck with textures that disappear as soon as I look around and frame rates jump around from 20-60fps like crazy. All with almost no graphics options (res. and AA. There isn't even Vsync). I'm running this game on a 3.4Ghz Phenom II quad-core and a 6970... yet it's totally unplayable. Id can go **** themselves. Expand
  20. Oct 4, 2011
    UNACCEPTABLE. How does this have ANY positive critic scores? That makes absolutely no sense unless these reviewers are blatantly mentally disabled.

To release a multi-platform game, priced the same as the other platforms, that is severely lacking compared to other platforms, is a CRIME and false advertising! The fact that people paid 59.99 or at best 10 dollars off that price for a game

The fact that people paid 59.99 or at best 10 dollars off that price for a game where you can't look around without seeing horrible glitchy pop-in and other texture and graphical issues, should be brought to ID's attention.

Customers should be able to get refunds for this piece of **** or at least their money back for being promised a game that WORKED PROPERLY! Once a PC developer, now a memory. Thanks for treating PC gamers as third class customers. I made an account just to review this P.O.S.
  21. Oct 4, 2011
    Who knows. I might like it if I could play it. I can't play it because they did not beta test, and so the game doesn't run. I want to like it, I do. If they fix this EXTREMELY quickly I'll alter the score to whatever is appropriate. However, this game is currently a complete steaming pile and I can't give them any points for a game I can't play.
  22. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is not working. It eats up 100% CPU because it does not recognize the RAM on your video card. How could they sell a broken product?

Graphical pop-in, poor LoD distances, Artifacting, and the game freezing every few seconds for 10-15 seconds. NOT PLAYABLE. Game was also released with BROKEN DRIVERS, the Updated drivers do not fix GAME BROKEN problems. How could they sell me a

How could they sell me a broken product?
  23. Oct 6, 2011
    Amazing how much hype was applied to the pre release of this title, advertising that it will litteraly 'blow your socks off'. The only thing it did was blow a hole in my pocket and in the heart of all the fans. There is nothing amazing about this title at all, looks and feels like any other mid range fps, and comes with a unique low res texture popin at every turn. Rage should never haveAmazing how much hype was applied to the pre release of this title, advertising that it will litteraly 'blow your socks off'. The only thing it did was blow a hole in my pocket and in the heart of all the fans. There is nothing amazing about this title at all, looks and feels like any other mid range fps, and comes with a unique low res texture popin at every turn. Rage should never have been released, letalone be sold for more than $20, ID has truly dropped the ball on this one, i purposly made a metacritic account for this review. Expand
  24. Oct 4, 2011
    The Good

Sound design is excellent. Shotgun blasts are superb, kachink sound from crossbow is dead on. Music and accompanying mood is great. I actually got scared even though there was nothing to be scared of just from the music alone. Art direction is almost original. Gameplay is excellent. That shotgun is amazing! Enemies are varied. Great care put into animation noted. The Bad 25Gb
    The Good

The Bad

25Gb install size and all I get are blurry textures. Spin around too fast and the LOD is a split second behind. You will actually see ultra blurry textures. It's only for a split second but it is detracting from the realism of the game.

The Ugly

Don't be fooled by the "auto detect your hardware to maintain 60fps." That's just market speak for "Console Port." The menus are clunky, mouse is erratic when turning down sensitivity to low (essential for the 5600 DPI gamers out there), and no graphic settings. On a 570 the textures are on par with Crysis on Medium. I know it's 60 fps but who wants to play that when I could boot up Time crysis. Now there is an epic scale to the game, the vistas are downright gorgeous from afar, but it only gives the illusion of scale. The fact is, the game is linear through and through. And when it isn't, it's because it's sending you to backtrack for fetch quests.

This game is prolly awesome for the ageing consoles. But the PS2-like textures on a high end graphics card is a deal breaker. If they the gamers are allowed to see those high res textures, this game could have been better, but as is, it just appears to be a waste of 25 gigs.
  25. Oct 4, 2011
    Graphics are well done so are the animations, thats really all this game has going for it. Over the last decade we are noticing more and more games turning into plane old shooters nothing more. This game is clearly only for those who like to run and gun and ignore everything else. Loot is not exciting at all, its find ammo and things to open doors for more ammo. There is not alot ofGraphics are well done so are the animations, thats really all this game has going for it. Over the last decade we are noticing more and more games turning into plane old shooters nothing more. This game is clearly only for those who like to run and gun and ignore everything else. Loot is not exciting at all, its find ammo and things to open doors for more ammo. There is not alot of originality to this game just alot of repetitive action. We have all already played games like this we should all save 60$$. Expand
  26. Oct 5, 2011
    This game is **** Not only it looks better on consoles, ID and Bethesda only added an option to the game for anti-aliasing and no other graphical options, the key binding is TROLLING me.
    So far I have gotten into the game is after the intro. After that, I get HUGE lag spikes in the game that happen every second or so which make it 100% impossible for me to play. Unless you enjoy walking 10 meters in 10 minutes. With loads of lag.
    So basically I wasted 60 dollars and couldn't even finish the first level of the game. Way to go id. I will clap for you all the way to hell.
    The only reason why I'm giving this game a 1/10 instead of a 0/10 is because of the mediocre enough intro movie that didn't suck as much as the game.
  27. Oct 6, 2011
    Essentially a 5 year old game with outdated DX9 graphics, blurry low-res textures and passive environment. Game structure is copied straight from MMO games - take quests from city hub NPCs, drive to dungeon entrance (the door), zone in and kill everyone (collect everything), deliver the quest and get reward, rense & repeat. Shooting mechanic is obsolete, no in-game physics whatsoever,Essentially a 5 year old game with outdated DX9 graphics, blurry low-res textures and passive environment. Game structure is copied straight from MMO games - take quests from city hub NPCs, drive to dungeon entrance (the door), zone in and kill everyone (collect everything), deliver the quest and get reward, rense & repeat. Shooting mechanic is obsolete, no in-game physics whatsoever, driving part is a joke. Not to mention all the technical problems on PC... 3/10 is the best you get Mr. Carmack and Co. Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2011
    Gonna have to throw my hat into the ring and this game into the greyed out, dead in the water section of my Steam library (along with the utter pile of crap that was Brink) due to terrible performance and game lock ups. There seems to be a good game somewhere in here, but I may never know as I have had problem after problem with crashing (game crashes every single time I try to finish theGonna have to throw my hat into the ring and this game into the greyed out, dead in the water section of my Steam library (along with the utter pile of crap that was Brink) due to terrible performance and game lock ups. There seems to be a good game somewhere in here, but I may never know as I have had problem after problem with crashing (game crashes every single time I try to finish the mutant tv section of the game), flickering enemies (using the recommended up to date drivers), that has forum users offering up voodoo fixes that just don't seem to help. I told myself that I would never again pre purchase a game after Brink, and I let the hype sway me. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. This is my second review on metacritic, and the one I signed up to give, and I give it a zero. Can't review a game that won't allow me to play it! 60 dollars in the toilet :( Expand
  29. Oct 4, 2011
    WOW! I would be emberrased to have shown my face if I was ID. This console port is a joke. They spent NO time on it. Also the textures are a joke you have on decent (not good) texture right next to one that is a complete blur. No graphics settings. You have to force Vsync externally. What a joke.

Oh also: Bugs, Bugs, Bugs... Oh and some more bugs.
  30. Oct 4, 2011
    WOO 60$ down the drain . Boring so far , maybe it will get better as i play , , no atmopheric sound track . Compare to Fallout or dead island this games extremely sucks . For young kids , Pegi 18 is stupidly rated, hardcore as Mary poppins , a SOFT ware indeed as toliet paper . The details of graphics simply vanish when you move arround , what a trick to save processing power , iWOO 60$ down the drain . Boring so far , maybe it will get better as i play , , no atmopheric sound track . Compare to Fallout or dead island this games extremely sucks . For young kids , Pegi 18 is stupidly rated, hardcore as Mary poppins , a SOFT ware indeed as toliet paper . The details of graphics simply vanish when you move arround , what a trick to save processing power , i think that, the objective of that games was to make a games that could be played on ipad or i phones or zune , THIS GAMES IS NOT FOR SERIOUS GAMERS . And LOL the vehicules action is completely childish , hahahahahaha i have just financed the future of iphone gaming . ...... lets be positive , for new gamers it should be fun . BUT FOR serious gamers , very very brown ! OH MY GOD . have we all lost testosterone ? Expand
  31. Oct 4, 2011
    $60 for a console game. The developers made no attempt to make this work on PC. PC games should never be priced at 60$ especially when the games do not work, are bad or both.
  32. Oct 5, 2011
    A disaster. It exposes the buzzword "megatexture" for what it is -- a complete lie. There is nothing mega about this game except the mega bugs and the mega graphical issues and the mega ugly textures.
  33. Oct 6, 2011
    The game Rage fails at even it's most basic function - to show off the ID Tech 5 Engine, the engine in it's capacity used by Rage demonstrates a company who has lost the plot entirely with respect to pioneering 3D gaming engine scene. All static lighting baked into textures, awful looking low resolution static shadows baked into the textures, low resolution so called megatextures andThe game Rage fails at even it's most basic function - to show off the ID Tech 5 Engine, the engine in it's capacity used by Rage demonstrates a company who has lost the plot entirely with respect to pioneering 3D gaming engine scene. All static lighting baked into textures, awful looking low resolution static shadows baked into the textures, low resolution so called megatextures and highly compressed audio, if they had a time machine and released this engine in 2005 they'd stand to get some praise, everything about the direction they took was a poor decision on their part. The only thing that can be praised about Rage is the AI - everything is subpar for a 2011 AAA title release. Expand
  34. Oct 5, 2011
    horrible , not optimized , crashed , sound problems , pop in , this game is planing for pc , and consoles , but in pc the game sucks , not working good in any pc , nvidia , or ati video cards .
  35. Oct 4, 2011
    Game runs 10% of the time. Crashes on launch , or when you exit the arc. Approx 20fps with 2x6970's and no AA. When it does run, look left, look back and the textures have gone. Wait and they reload! lol wtf is this crap.
  36. Oct 4, 2011
    What a major fail! The once great John Carmack is now reduced to a second rate shovel-ware developer. It seems more on par with a Wii game then a AAA PC title.
  37. Oct 4, 2011
    One of the worst releases of all time. If it hasn't locked up before getting to the actual game, I am faced with 0.1FPS and textures that do not load. No in-game graphics options, too. I can't even comment on the gameplay because I can't experience it despite trying numerous driver sets. A shoddy console port that signals the death of whatever was left of the original spirit of idOne of the worst releases of all time. If it hasn't locked up before getting to the actual game, I am faced with 0.1FPS and textures that do not load. No in-game graphics options, too. I can't even comment on the gameplay because I can't experience it despite trying numerous driver sets. A shoddy console port that signals the death of whatever was left of the original spirit of id software. A slap in the face to PC gamers everywhere, this release damages Bethesda and will serve to remind many not to pre-order in the future. Expand
  38. Oct 4, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. There are a myriad of issues, texture pop in, flicker, no graphical options, mouse lag, mouse acceleration in menus, no v-sync, no advanced graphical options, AND DID I MENTION THE TEXTURE POP IN? Terrible terrible port of the console version. Sad seeing this from the PC masters ID. How low can you get. DO NOT BUY.
  39. Oct 4, 2011
    I'm giving this game a 0 because I'm unable to play with the textures being so annoying. If this gets fixed in a week I might consider giving it 8+ depending on gameplay, but if it takes longer I'm not giving it any higher than a 3-4 for a unacceptable release and untimely fix
  40. Oct 4, 2011
    The lack of optimization for the PC is very disappointing with jittery frame rates, constant weird texture pop in and a very lacking PC graphics menu I was expecting more from the guys behind Doom and Quake. For me at least this game is currently unplayable, I'm sure it'll be patched in the coming months to fix all these issues, I hope they develop a better graphics menu. But at the momentThe lack of optimization for the PC is very disappointing with jittery frame rates, constant weird texture pop in and a very lacking PC graphics menu I was expecting more from the guys behind Doom and Quake. For me at least this game is currently unplayable, I'm sure it'll be patched in the coming months to fix all these issues, I hope they develop a better graphics menu. But at the moment this feels like a shockingly lazy port from the people at id I am so disappointed and regret pre-ordering. Expand
  41. Oct 4, 2011
    Sad to see the day when a company like ID becomes yet another developer that's content with giving PC gamers a crap console port. I expected much better, but it's a lesson learned, and this company won't get a single cent out of me ever again.
  42. Oct 4, 2011
    I can't believe they released the game as buggy as it is. The graphics are terrible, turn around in a 360 circle and watch the background load, pop, and reload as you continue to turn. It's a driver issues they say. My driver is current, and it still looks like crap. Don't waste your money on this steaming pile. It crashes during the intro, it crashed when you're leaving the arc;I can't believe they released the game as buggy as it is. The graphics are terrible, turn around in a 360 circle and watch the background load, pop, and reload as you continue to turn. It's a driver issues they say. My driver is current, and it still looks like crap. Don't waste your money on this steaming pile. It crashes during the intro, it crashed when you're leaving the arc; this game crashes more then a drunk celebrity. Shame on ID for putting this game out. At least the name is correct, buy this turd and you're gonna rage Expand
  43. Oct 7, 2011
    Sadly a veeery boring game without story line. *spoilers* You start the game and you dont know who you are, why you are there and why a farmer saved your ass. So, you, that seems to be a super human with special habilities are only there to work like a slave. Boring quests like, go there and kill some raiders or go there and collect some items.

The enemies are just lame and dumb.. they

The enemies are just lame and dumb.. they can do only 3 things: They go in cover or they rush with melee or they throw a granade.

The ai is **** dumb and are ease to shot even in cover.. its just a shame, Im playing in Nightmare and I didnt die one single time.

Dark days! Creators of DOOM and QUAKE made this crap.. oh boy...
  44. Oct 5, 2011
    IGN's review of DNF:

IGN Jun 14, 2011 55 It's a muddled, hypocritical exercise in irritation with solid shooting mechanics and decent encounter design. There's some dumb fun to be had in Duke Nukem Forever, but the game tries hard to ensure it's only fleeting. IGN's review of RAGE: 85 Despite the lack of genuinely exciting context, all the content packed into Rage is still a blast to
    IGN's review of DNF:

IGN
    Jun 14, 2011

IGN's review of RAGE:

Despite the lack of genuinely exciting context, all the content packed into Rage is still a blast to play, including the surprisingly entertaining car combat mode and co-operative challenges. Rage isn't revolutionary, but is an expertly crafted, beautiful shooter.

I'm pretty sure GAMESPOT will be about on par...

All you DNF haters need to be crying about RAGE being linear and /insert whine here. Oooooh give us weapon lockers loaded with all guns and ammo so we don't have to actually THINK about what we should use on the current level we are playing.

RAGE: Brought to you by the makers of THE AMAZING HALLWAY FLASHLIGHT SIMULATOR aka DOOM 3.
  45. Oct 4, 2011
    this game has terrible graphical issues that will leave you with a headache and ultimately the tearing and popping gets so bad you cannot play. enemies pop in and out while fighting them. I do not see next gen graphics here, Hard Reset and Stalker look better visually, this game has just a little more color than Fallout 3 I'd say.
  46. Oct 4, 2011
    Broken Game. No fps competitive multiplayer. But they at least have some competitive multiplayer. Timothy Leary on acid would have a bad trip watching the flicker. The #1 feature of this game, is eye strain. If you want that, buy this game.

Save your eyes. Save your money. When textures aren't popping in turning you into an epileptic, the game looks great. Seems like it would be a

Save your eyes. Save your money.

When textures aren't popping in turning you into an epileptic, the game looks great. Seems like it would be a fun game. Probably a bit short, though I've barely played. Supposedly the competitive multiplayer car races have been likened to Mario Kart. I wouldn't know. My eyes are strained to the max after playing the first mission. Half hour later they still hurt. It's not just flickering, there's all sorts of weird artifacts. From seems like a page of text is blinking on screen, to like a red laser sight appearing out of nowhere, yet has nothing to do with my gun or anyone else's. Weird black blocks of all sorts of sizes, and not limited to box shape popping in or out.

It's supposed to be low capped for it's frames at 60 and work around that. Well my i7 920, 6gb 1600mhz ddr3, and ATI 5850 gets about 25-35 while running around, and when still it goes back up to about 60. This is without the eye candy on (what little you can mess around with).

Even has a problem when you move around the edges load up late, even close up stuff. Also this makes me pretty lucky, since many people can't even get the game to load up, or have it crash after playing 10 minutes.

Lots of rage going on with people with uber rigs getting poor framerates as well.

It's having problems on ATI and Nvidia. I'm sure I've only described some of the problems. Will they patch it? Supposedly yes. Will it fix the problems? Who the hell knows. 60 bucks for a pc game, and not one whiff of this obvious MAJOR problem from review sites right before launch = fraud.

This turd, just like so many others this year, (here's looking to you Duke Puke'em) had glaringly obvious problems ignored by the reviewers observing fascist unamerican blackouts on reviews until after the game released. I didn't preorder months or even weeks in advance, merely 30 minutes - 3 hours before launch, and in both cases, the early 'paid' or 'special' reviews ignored all the obvious problems, if they even came out at all (i.e. pc ones delayed so you had to read the console ones first). When they showed us their gameplay video, of course none of these issues were in them.

It's just sad that no one spoke up about these turds like RAGE before they were released. This is something that should of came out weeks ago, saving lots of people money.

I waited until the last second to see some reviews or whatever to trip up. But when you don't see these things in them, you think, hey it'll be a game that works or whatever. I also hear some console players are getting some weird stuff too. But hey gotta pay off those wall street loans, and the only way the board sees it possible is to get the turd out before the other games launch, rather than actually fix the game before launch. Also probably would hurt bonuses.

Wait for a working patch. If one doesn't arrive, do not buy this game. If one does, it would be a decent game, and worthy of a 3/5 or perhaps a 7/10. That's still a decent, and fun game. But for now, my eyes still hurt, and I won't be playing this much until it gets fixed. Shame on iD. As it stands now, turn the game on, turn on some music, mix a drink, and enjoy the strobe light club experience in your own home. This broken eye straining turd gets a 3 out of 10. I would give it a 4, but physical pain knocks it down another point. If the gunplay and the graphical art design wasn't fun, it would score a lot lower.
  47. Oct 6, 2011
    An AMD 6970 should make quick work of games, even those optimized for Nvidia cards. The texture pop up is so damn obvious, it should've been fixed in EARLY beta! Do not buy this game until they have updated the game to a proper release candidate.
  48. Oct 4, 2011
    I bought this game for both my PC and Playstation 3, the only clearly issue is that on PC the game stutters like something out of this world. But on the other side on the PS3 I cant even get into seeing my own character like I can on PC with waiting for 20 minutes. I guess the game would be an awesome game if they released the zero day patch which is very needed at the moment, due toI bought this game for both my PC and Playstation 3, the only clearly issue is that on PC the game stutters like something out of this world. But on the other side on the PS3 I cant even get into seeing my own character like I can on PC with waiting for 20 minutes. I guess the game would be an awesome game if they released the zero day patch which is very needed at the moment, due to errors of coding. Expand
  49. Oct 4, 2011
    What a broken mess of a game! It seems even the once great John Carmack has succumbed to console-port-itis. I had high hopes for this game. Maybe after several large patches, it will be some-what playable.
  50. Oct 4, 2011
    The game - Decieving open world, terrible physics, dead world that can barely be interacted with, brutally shallow story/characters. Good gunplay, and the graphics CAN look stunning (I love the clutter of everything).

The tech on PC - ATROCIOUS! Seriously, I am stunned by the state of the game on PC. it's a port, yes, but no excuse. (look at Batman AA...awesome) Brutal texture pop in, muddy low res textures (somewhere between N64 and PS2) and if it wasn't for fellow considerate gamers, a whole host of other problems (bizarre seams everywhere, distracting tearing, stutter constantly etc) I did not have problems with crashes, although of you are an ATI user, prepare for this. Do not pay more than 30 bucks for this game...better still, play Witcher 2, Stalker COP, Hard Reset, Amnesia...even Doom 3, as it's lighting effects DESTROY Rage's.

We no longer can count on iD, and really, that's ok, because WHAT'S UP VALVE AND GABEN! You guys can take my money for free, whereas iD, when can I expect my payment for testing this game for you?
  51. Oct 5, 2011
    i gave it a 2 simply because the graphics were great on my nvidia 275 oc ...if you got ati well, any game release is going to suck...Story blows, gameplay is shallow and filled with filler... multiplayer is deserted on day 2.....i think you got the idea, worst game id has ever released to date..
  52. Oct 6, 2011
    I thought Space Marine had showed us the depths of heartless and uninspired single FPS player gaming. Oh, was I wrong. Rage makes Space Marine look like an M.C. Escher painting by comparison.

The graphics are fine, they are not jaw dropping and are plagued with issues on a vast array of systems. When it works, it looks like a FPS released in 2011 should be expected to look. It's the horrible game, itself, that is the problem. There has been blurring of RPG and FPS for years, with massive success -- because, as it turns out, people actually like character development. You usually get a skill tree or two (ala Borderlands), stats and abilities you can delve deep or lightly into for character specificity (ala Fallout: NV), a more engrossing storyline (ala COD).. hell, even Space Marine, by all rights a terrible first person shooter (but enjoyable multi-player -- where it actually remembers to offer character customization) makes a better effort.

Rage, in a nutshell, is a corridor shooter with quests. Boring, boring, quests. The quests themselves don't even yield a faux version of customization or development.. so you do them, for the sake of doing them. A FPS where you have to check in with NPCs before and after you do things.. just... because.

The single player campaign is probably 16 hours, at best. Coming in light. But hey, they do you the courtesy of pre-installing DLC folders already.. Both Bethesda and Id can do much, much better. Wait for this game to go half-off bin at your seller before picking it up.
  53. Oct 4, 2011
    Boring. Banal. ID fails to deliver either coherent story or strong gameplay. Carmack has lost his touch in pursuit of $$$ and no longer cares about making good games. Avoid this turd.
  54. Oct 6, 2011
    Are you fecking kidding me.. the whole DLC for New Vegas being a nightmare.. Brink sucking now this pos.. AND i am running a GTX275 core i7 920 , 6 Gigs RAM.. so its not ATI its another **** game from Bethesda whatever changes Bethesda made they better hurry the hell up and change them back because thier rep is in the toilet. This game blows.. Borderlands is better than this.Are you fecking kidding me.. the whole DLC for New Vegas being a nightmare.. Brink sucking now this pos.. AND i am running a GTX275 core i7 920 , 6 Gigs RAM.. so its not ATI its another **** game from Bethesda whatever changes Bethesda made they better hurry the hell up and change them back because thier rep is in the toilet. This game blows.. Borderlands is better than this. graphical glitch galore.. buggy and you cant even walk off the main area.. its linear as all hell. thanks Bethesda you #$%^&*(!!! Expand
  55. Oct 4, 2011
    PC version review only. The game looks beautiful...when standing still. When I move though, the graphics become choppy. I'll mention that I could not load the game until ATI came up with a post-release graphic fix; there have been many ATI owners who have this problem. In time it will probably be fixed. Technical difficulties abound.
    Gameplay. From playing for a few hours, the AI mobs are
    Gameplay. From playing for a few hours, the AI mobs are great; combat rolls, wall bounding, general dodging to avoid my aiming. The quest line at the beginning was confusing; some guy rescues you and asks you to rescue the town? Why did you put your neck out in the first place? Perhaps that will be revealed later. No world or region map; just a small minimap in the upper corner. Voice acting is pretty good. Quests have been the typical go here, do this, come back for a reward and the advancement of the story. The game is very beautiful, just had to say that again (the only great thing going for it).
    Many people are saying it is a console port; I can believe it because the menu, graphical interface options are all very limited when compared to other computer games. I would suggest all PC buyers wait until a price drop to buy the game, console buyers would probably be fine with purchasing the game as it currently is.
  56. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is abysmal. I'm running it on one of the most powerful systems around, with a $500 RAID 0 SSD stripe. Texture streaming is not acceptable. On top of this, I can't get into the second area of the game without crashing, and textures are beyond screwed up. The gunplay is ok at best.
  57. Oct 5, 2011
    If id wanted to exit the PC games business they should have just not made a PC version. There's no need to be all passive aggressive about it. They're on deathwatch with the PC community as of today. This release is just completely unprofessional.

And congratulations on getting an Indian outsourcing company to fake some user reviews. Go domestic next time so it's less obvious.
  58. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is awful, If you buy it, you support demons. If you care about gaming at all, DO NOT BUY IT. I cannot stress to you how many tweaks and changes I've had to make to get it to run, This is not my job. They have wasted MY time and MY money, if you own a pc don't let them waste yours.
  59. Oct 5, 2011
    This game crashes between levels/areas (loading). Saved game corruption. Megatexture is a joke as the streaming was designed for consoles with limited vram and system memory - the PC was an afterthought in this shoddy console port. Not to mention the corruption/artifacts when using an AMD solution for graphics. WORST QUALITY CONTROL EVER. No advanced graphics options. No defaultThis game crashes between levels/areas (loading). Saved game corruption. Megatexture is a joke as the streaming was designed for consoles with limited vram and system memory - the PC was an afterthought in this shoddy console port. Not to mention the corruption/artifacts when using an AMD solution for graphics. WORST QUALITY CONTROL EVER. No advanced graphics options. No default support for 5.1 or greater sound. Bugged texture quality 'virtual texture' system, 8k resolution if you force it but if left to default it looks BAD (even on latest hardware). No option in options to turn off mouse smoothing... There are so many more issues with this game, go read up on them before buying. This game should not have been released - get it working on a basic level before you sell it! But don't trust my opine, read it from *most* online journals or professional blogs (like destructoid)... Expand
  60. Oct 5, 2011
    Game starts, well no texture at all in the first room. The sound is totally **** up ("hrrr hrrr hrrr"), i just cut it off. Then i move outside this very first room, and "voila"...crash.

"ID_AA_Carmack John Carmack I'm going to be at the Mesquite, TX GameStop Monday night for the midnight Rage release if anyone wants to say hi." I hope no PC player came back that morning my old friend.

I hope no PC player came back that morning my old friend. You really **** this one.
  61. Oct 6, 2011
    Dear PC devs. Please learn from Blizzard that people like games that work properly when we buy them. Sick of paying for games that don't work on launch. INEXCUSABLE! If it doesn't work properly DON'T RELEASE IT until it does.
  62. Oct 6, 2011
    What can i say. buggy, slow, poor performance, no graphics options worthwhile. This is a disgrace to the game which seems to be quite good on the console.

How can a developer release a game as buggy as this. Definately not worth the scratch until the bugs are fixed and even then i want to be able to increase the graphics settings!
  63. Oct 6, 2011
    John Carmack, the man who killed ID. R.I.P ID may you find that MEGAtexture heaven. Well i hope you find it because it's not in this game. Carmack i hope you get what you deserve, the weight of everybodys misery on your shoulders.
  64. Oct 4, 2011
    Do not buy this game. I can't fathom the reviewers who give this more than ... maybe 3 stars. The published reviewers must not be playing the PC version, or they're just liars. The technical issues destroy the game. The texture popin is so distracting that the game is unplayable. Basically there's constant flickering in your peripheral vision due to texture popin. Buy Borderlands. ThisDo not buy this game. I can't fathom the reviewers who give this more than ... maybe 3 stars. The published reviewers must not be playing the PC version, or they're just liars. The technical issues destroy the game. The texture popin is so distracting that the game is unplayable. Basically there's constant flickering in your peripheral vision due to texture popin. Buy Borderlands. This game is just a terrible mutilated version of Borderlands. Oh, but John Goodman is good. Expand
  65. Oct 5, 2011
    5+ years to make this.... OMG!!!! Well i guess they say Carmack created the FPS shooter, I guess it's only fitting that he should be the one to kill it too...
  66. Oct 4, 2011
    Unplayable on a comp that exceeds all minimum specs and most recommended specs. Comp runs Deus Ex Rev and S2TW on max settings flawlessly. This is such a pile of $%^& from a formerly respected developer that I'm losing confidence in PC gaming. I smell Bethesda in this one, they threw in the towel on their customers of old years ago (I played Morrowind off and on for 5 years, andUnplayable on a comp that exceeds all minimum specs and most recommended specs. Comp runs Deus Ex Rev and S2TW on max settings flawlessly. This is such a pile of $%^& from a formerly respected developer that I'm losing confidence in PC gaming. I smell Bethesda in this one, they threw in the towel on their customers of old years ago (I played Morrowind off and on for 5 years, and Oblivion for less than 10 hours). Hell why not start another indie dev shop and produce something that's worth $5 or $10? Apparently the strongest competition is completely asleep at the wheel... Expand
  67. Oct 4, 2011
    I paid for a PC game with PC graphics, not a game with console graphics that are actually worse than the actual console graphics. Don't buy this lazy money grabbing port.
  68. Oct 5, 2011
    This game is the great equalizer - It will make your $3000 PC gaming rig feel like your friends $400 scrap-box built with budget or hand-me-down hardware. Dare I say that the console release is the preferred release? Terrible texture resolutions (not counting the pop-in) and lots of invisible walls or low edges or curbs, couches, or railings which will keep you from freely exploring theThis game is the great equalizer - It will make your $3000 PC gaming rig feel like your friends $400 scrap-box built with budget or hand-me-down hardware. Dare I say that the console release is the preferred release? Terrible texture resolutions (not counting the pop-in) and lots of invisible walls or low edges or curbs, couches, or railings which will keep you from freely exploring the world. I do not find the game world fun or explorable due to this, and the sound seems completely dull and uninspired. It does not seem to use my Realtek 5.1 surround. Poor or nonexistent shadowing. It's a very poor attempt at a Borderlands-type game. Nothing during the game play has made me say 'Wow' and I do not feel there's anything new or exciting offered. This is a budget console title at best, and frankly anyone who's not played Borderlands should make that purchase instead. Also, some keyboard mappings cannot be altered, which is a terrible sin in my book. Expand
  69. Oct 4, 2011
    Horrible texture issues. You do a 180 and watch all the textures load. No graphics options and poor quality textures. Looks NOTHING like the videos.
  70. Oct 5, 2011
    I am unable to comment on the story or game play. I could not get that far as all I can say is that this game has a very strong bias against running on an ATI HD5700 with the "Wrong Drivers" or with the special "Rage Drivers"

The game is unplayable, keep checking your preferred gaming media site, and until the reviews say otherwise, don't spend that $60 burning a hole in your pocket.
  71. Oct 5, 2011
    Looks like all the reviews are for the console version, because the game barely runs at all. Texture pop in and constant artifacts and crashing. Seems like id didn't even bother with QC for PC.
  72. Oct 4, 2011
    Horrible bugs and issues. Since when do ATI/NVidia need to heavily adjust their drivers so that a game runs smoothly? Horrible lack of optimization, video settings are laughable, bad gamepad layout, texture-pop-ins everywhere, critically bad texture quality overall.
    By no means a game worth the $60 pricetag.
  73. Oct 5, 2011
    This thing is about as open world as Wolfenstein 3D, which would be fine if it weren't 2011. After spending an hour getting video and texture issues resolved and then actually playing it for 2 hours, the realization that crept in as I was prevented from venturing out anywhere or jumping over anything - like I can with any sandbox game since early 2004's FarCry - is "this is an old-schoolThis thing is about as open world as Wolfenstein 3D, which would be fine if it weren't 2011. After spending an hour getting video and texture issues resolved and then actually playing it for 2 hours, the realization that crept in as I was prevented from venturing out anywhere or jumping over anything - like I can with any sandbox game since early 2004's FarCry - is "this is an old-school corridor shooter with an outdoor overlay".

there is zero interaction with the environment, it is illusory. it is 99.99% static. depressing. screenshots look pretty but the environment is essentially wallpaper. and when you drive vehicles, its like green screen, it feels like just a canned vehicle model superimposed on a moving background.

i'm losing patience real fast with this corridor b.s. -- its not as wretched as Duke Nukem Forever but i'll put maybe an hour more into it and if it doesn't pick up I'm over it. i swear its like id software has been in a 10 year hibernation and never got the memo that the industry had long moved on. so strange considering the last id Tech engine supported basic things like moving or breaking a box, FFS. They say development on Rage began 6-7 years ago and in fact it feels like a game from 6-7 years ago.
  74. Oct 5, 2011
    The positive reviews are written by retards who have just played the game for an hour or two. Why did people buy into the hype anyway? id, clearly failed at pleasing the PC crowd with their **** console port. I'm not even pirating this piece of ****
  75. Oct 4, 2011
    I can't believe that iD released this PC version without proper testing. This is sad, I was expecting a great gaming experience but instead I ended up spending my hours on the Bethesda and STEAM forums looking for fixes from other users. Nothing worked so far and the new ATI Rage driver is a joke. What's worst is that it seems that the blurry, muddy, low resolution textures are part of theI can't believe that iD released this PC version without proper testing. This is sad, I was expecting a great gaming experience but instead I ended up spending my hours on the Bethesda and STEAM forums looking for fixes from other users. Nothing worked so far and the new ATI Rage driver is a joke. What's worst is that it seems that the blurry, muddy, low resolution textures are part of the design and this is just horrible for a 2011 game. I'm just very disappointed so I'll go back to the Witcher 2 and to high resolution environments. But not before I'll submit my score. Expand
  76. Oct 4, 2011
    Don't know who is to blame, id or AMD. How can you have developed a game and not tested it with current drivers to see that it does not run properly. It appears the issues are worse for people with AMD cards. For example, crashing as soon as the game launches. Having to download a "Rage" driver to fix that, the game then freezes every 5 seconds. Making it unplayable.
  77. Oct 4, 2011
    Just signed up to warn all PC gamers to not buy this game. Texture pop in is so bad that itself make it unplayable. Demonstrating that Id didn't even test this game on PC before release. Everytime you turn, your world become blurry and graphics has to be loaded...

Buy this after this issue is resolved, if it will ever.... Don't touch it else you will regret it so bad. It is honestly worth $10 at this current state.
  78. Dec 3, 2011
    When you fire this game up on your high end system you will scream out "console port" from the sheer looks and controls of it, everything feels unresponsive and slow. I would not recommend any other sane person to buy this. John Carmack you failed me, maybe I will buy another game from your company if DOOM4 turns out well. Fail!
  79. Oct 5, 2011
    Horrible, horrible game, just don't buy it, it'll never be patched. Are Bethesda and Id thinking we are sheep? That we'll buy their games just because it's Id? They are wrong. Stupid, horrible, ugly, buggy game.
  80. Oct 5, 2011
    The game is currently UNPLAYABLE for me. Im getting well above 60FPS, but the textures are HORRIBLE, black squares appearing EVERYWHERE lines flashing across the screen, pop-in textures, horrible horrible screen tearing. The worst is the black squares and crap everywhere, it is the most buggiest game on release i have ever played. Surely SURELY someone would have picked this up in BetaThe game is currently UNPLAYABLE for me. Im getting well above 60FPS, but the textures are HORRIBLE, black squares appearing EVERYWHERE lines flashing across the screen, pop-in textures, horrible horrible screen tearing. The worst is the black squares and crap everywhere, it is the most buggiest game on release i have ever played. Surely SURELY someone would have picked this up in Beta testing or something? WAS IT EVEN TESTED AT ALL FOR PC????? I understand some maybe minor bugs are inevitable in games, after all they are Human. But this is TOO BIG of a **** up, especially when i paid $88 for this game, i expect it to be PLAYABLE! Expand
  81. Oct 4, 2011
    I have not had the stuttering or crashing problems that most others have reported. However, I have to say that of all the ID titles I've purchased over the years, this is the first that is really disappointing. I'm not someone who is overly focused on graphics, but as soon as I saw the opening scene of the game within the arc, I knew that this game had been cannibalized for consoles.I have not had the stuttering or crashing problems that most others have reported. However, I have to say that of all the ID titles I've purchased over the years, this is the first that is really disappointing. I'm not someone who is overly focused on graphics, but as soon as I saw the opening scene of the game within the arc, I knew that this game had been cannibalized for consoles. Textures were noticeably poor up close on virtually every surface that I looked at, and not just a little washed out / flat, but reminiscent of games like half life 1. In my opinion, every indoor/ close quarter environment is an order of magnitude worse than Doom 3 in terms of quality. While I have no doubt the engine can do much more, the fact that they cut it down so much just to make it look decent on the garbage console hardware is upsetting.

Now, this would be OK from an indie developer, or even a low budget game, but as the newest flagship title from a company that has consistently produced many of the best looking graphics engines over the last decade and one which has been hyped as having incredible graphics, it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. The marketing was deceptive and the virtually nothing that I have seen so far comes remotely close to spin put out beforehand. As ID has apparently switched their focus from quality and is going the way of Bioware, I have to say that they will not get money from me again until the player reviews are in.
  82. Oct 5, 2011
    Totally broken console port, frame rate issues make it unplayable, ID you should make your game to have 60 fps and not 10 fpm (frames per minute), no graphic options whatsoever. This broken piece of software deserves to be thrown with other junk and quickly forgotten.
  83. Oct 5, 2011
    As any other ID game this is once again a letdown and feels more a tech-demo than a game. But even then the tech is bad and it has texture-pop-in problems and whatnot, just awful. I should really learn to stop buying based on nostalgia.
  84. Oct 9, 2011
    My second review. The first was a low score due to the initial **** graphics issues. Once those got sorted I was going to update with a higher score...and then I finished the game...wtf id? That's it? That tiny little short arsed campaign is the very best you can do after 7 goddamn years!? I swear I thought I was about half way through when the credits started rolling. Campaign wasMy second review. The first was a low score due to the initial **** graphics issues. Once those got sorted I was going to update with a higher score...and then I finished the game...wtf id? That's it? That tiny little short arsed campaign is the very best you can do after 7 goddamn years!? I swear I thought I was about half way through when the credits started rolling. Campaign was boring, non-sensical, and did I mention short? Waste of money. Avoid this game until it's in the bargain bin (after which time it will be patched as well). Expand
  85. Oct 4, 2011
    Buggy and boring. Carmack will engage in self-love and and spend all his time making it run at 60fps on the 360 but he is such a weak leader that he cant hire a team of people to make an engaging game. Its not worth your money. id is only capable of making arena-style Q3 games where characters are nothing outside of their wacky names.
  86. Oct 5, 2011
    I have only been able to play 1 hour of this game because the texture pop-in is so extremely distracting. Nothing is cached so any 180 degree movement causes the world to be plastered with textures lower resolution than the original Quake for a second, before they are then plastered with textures equivalent to Quake 3. I don't believe that at 20+ gigs the texture resolution can be thisI have only been able to play 1 hour of this game because the texture pop-in is so extremely distracting. Nothing is cached so any 180 degree movement causes the world to be plastered with textures lower resolution than the original Quake for a second, before they are then plastered with textures equivalent to Quake 3. I don't believe that at 20+ gigs the texture resolution can be this bad. I want to believe this is the wrong build, or that something in the configuration files was wrong, but I'm starting to lose faith. Expand
  87. Dec 29, 2011
    Pure garbage. What a scam. I will never buy another game from ID, they are done in my book. What is the point in this game? Drive around get another boring mission??? Big deal. This game isn't even hard. The AI is a joke. Hold to aim? Hold to sprint? Really? You can't even die in this game?!?!?! Where are the game options? Biggest console port garbage ever! DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY - DON"T BUY!
  88. Oct 5, 2011
    (PC) Horrible experience trying to play this game. This game is plagued with game and graphic glitches, especially for ATI graphics cards. The graphics options are horrible. In spite of the graphics the game is not interesting either, its boring. This is by far the worst game ID. I pre ordered this game based on ID and Carmack, and this was a complete disaster. I want my money back.
  89. Oct 5, 2011
    Another botched Steamworks release to add to Dead Island, Homefront, Duke Nukem Forever. Why do developers continue to use Steamworks it adds nothing except more hassle to the PC gamer. No obvious QA standards publishers/developers can self-publish broken games @ launch no-one @ Steam seems to care there is minimal QA as they are too busy counting the profit margin!

RAGE is just

RAGE is just horrible. Maybe 5 years ago it would have ebeen something now its just a clone of Fallout3/Borderlands minus all the good parts but saddled with a broken concept of texture streaming via megatextures regardless of how good your PC is.

ID sold out when they were bought by Zenimax now they have forever tarnished their previously excellent reputation so PC gamers will be very cautious about future releases.

Tragic boring game & tragic downfall of ID From hero to zero in the space of a single game.
  90. Oct 5, 2011
    I pre-ordered this game via steam on the basis that id was an outstanding game designer. What I downloaded was a game so blatantly unfinished, it makes me wonder if any of the developers tested the game on PC at all. When I purchase a game I shouldn't be expected to gallivanting across the internet in search of newly released drivers that may or may not solve the problem, the game shouldI pre-ordered this game via steam on the basis that id was an outstanding game designer. What I downloaded was a game so blatantly unfinished, it makes me wonder if any of the developers tested the game on PC at all. When I purchase a game I shouldn't be expected to gallivanting across the internet in search of newly released drivers that may or may not solve the problem, the game should be working when I buy it. Expand
  91. Oct 9, 2011
    Yes well totally dissapointing. Graphically yes it looks nice, in some instances but the physics, game play, story line, AI and overall feel of the game just misses by a mile.

All you have to say is Borderlands with better graphics however missing every aspect of borderlands that made it a good game.

I would say nice try FAIl, but really its just a screaming FAILURE all road.
  92. Jul 18, 2013
    Rage tries really hard to trick us into believing we are playing an open-world, sandbox-ish Borderlands clone. Unfortunately, none of the elements of this game are worked out well;

- The open world consists of nothing more than a series of three 'areas', which in themselves offer nothing more than the ability to drive by the 'levels' and enter them straight from this 'open world'. The actual missions are separated from this world by a loading screen and extremely obvious entrance points. In fact, the only freedom RAGE offers is being able to select one of three available missions and the order in which you do them.

- Enemy AI does nothing to entertain you, is blatantly stupid and adds nothing to the game.

- Graphics look nice but nothing we haven't seen before. There is a lot of talk about great textures, yes environment looks OK, but is nowhere near worth buying the game for; especially since all the other elements are done so badly.

- Weaponry feels like we've been there before. Bioshock comes to mind in terms of gunplay mechanics. Don't expect any original weapons and certainly don't expect them to give you a satisfying grin shooting with them. The special items such as the Wingstick are actually the very things that add some level of joy (you can also make RC Bomb cars...) but they horribly destroy the game's difficulty.

Overall, RAGE feels like a showcase for the great megatexture technique from ID, but offers little to nothing for any player who has already played good old DOOM, and falls horribly short of the kind of game it wants to be. Having played the whole storyline, I am still left wondering what the actual point was.
  93. Oct 13, 2013
    I hate to write a review for a game that I haven't finished, or at least logged serious time with. I especially hate to do so if I'm going to be writing a negative review I think a piece of media at least deserves to have been thoroughly scrutinized before unfavorable judgement is passed, but damn. Just damn, man. I am honestly not the type of gamer who stops playing a game andI hate to write a review for a game that I haven't finished, or at least logged serious time with. I especially hate to do so if I'm going to be writing a negative review I think a piece of media at least deserves to have been thoroughly scrutinized before unfavorable judgement is passed, but damn. Just damn, man. I am honestly not the type of gamer who stops playing a game and uninstalls it in dissatisfaction. I read lots of reviews on here that say "uninstalled it in x minutes" or whatever, and I normally discount those because I don't feel they gave the game a fair chance or are exaggerating from an emotional place rather than an analytical one for critical effect, but that's what happened here.

Rage felt extremely out of date. Oh sure, the graphics were all right, and I don't require any real per-requisites from more "modern" games. I don't need a cover system or perks or a level system grafted onto my shooters. I don't need a huge Half-Life story or an amazing new gameplay concept. I just need a game that's entertaining on some level, that has some flow, that grabs me in some way. Rage just did not do that, and I have a feeling that if it had come out alongside Doom 20 years ago, I would have felt the same way. I can't think of anything about the game that's compelling. I wish I could elaborate more on that, but I'm not sure how to explain it.

Everything this game does, some other game that's out or has been out for quite some time does much, much better. Some of those games are some of ID's own. Everything from the environments, to the enemies, to the gunplay, to the racing, to the story, to the exploration, is done better in almost any other FPS I've played.

If I tried to recommend this game to anyone, despite the fact that it didn't grab me or fit my personal preferences, I don't know who I would recommend it to. Someone who's never played an FPS before, I guess? Even then I'd want their first experience to at least be a bit more endearing, but I guess they'd at least play it for more than hour or two.

Sorry Rage, really wanted to like ya. I paid money for you, after all.
  94. Apr 23, 2013
    Strictly talking gameplay wise, this game is a turd.
    This is a shooter, that has an "overworld" where you get quests and you have to drive to missions on a buggy. You know the mission area begins because you have to get off your buggy.
    Strictly talking gameplay wise, this game is a turd.
    Picking up items is tedius, shooting people is tedious, making things adds an extra step incase you werent bored enough, the maps are rehashed very early on, and you play a minigame instead of dying...
    The most fun I had was when I first killed an enemy because he jumped to the side and hopped on the cieling, and i realized there was not aquick meele button. The suck set in and now the only thing entertaining is crashing your buggy and flinging yourself into the mission.
    The story is not engaging. There aren;t many "transition" animations where you get in a vehicle or grab a zipline, the screen just goes black sometimes, and that is really lazy. And for some reason when you shoot people in a town, blood gushes but nothing happens..
    Lots of other problems but these jump out at me as actively deciding to not make a good game. I don't know why critics reviewed this so positively.
  95. Jun 10, 2014
    Before I start reviewing the game itself, I would like to say, that with the latest 1.3 patch the game runs fine on a R9 270. There are some minor frame rate drops here and there, some texture pop-ins, but overall the performance is passable, so at least id took the horrible release problems into account. Now, a friend of mine told me about "Rage" about a year ago, but I never reallyBefore I start reviewing the game itself, I would like to say, that with the latest 1.3 patch the game runs fine on a R9 270. There are some minor frame rate drops here and there, some texture pop-ins, but overall the performance is passable, so at least id took the horrible release problems into account. Now, a friend of mine told me about "Rage" about a year ago, but I never really looked into it until recently. I had just completed "Borderlands" and I was curious if there were other games, which attempted this interesting mixture of open world and FPS (besides the new "Fallout" games) and this game came to my attention. To my surprise, it was made by id, the company which started the FPS genre in the first place. Despite the mixed reviews, I decided to give the game a chance. Perhaps, I thought, it was the poor release that spoiled may gamers' experience. The first impression the game made on me was a good one, suspenseful opening cutscene, intriguing visual design, especially when it comes to NPCs, however the game's numerous flaws quickly become apparent and at a certain point you come to a disappointing conclusion- the game is simply not fun. It's like a big, shiny firecracker that turns out to be a dud. The first thing you are going to notice is that the game doesn't even make an attempt at a story, or any promising development and immediately turns into a string of uninspired kill x, fetch x, bring x to y quests, even less varied than in "Borderlands" .Now I'm not saying I expected a movie grade masterpiece here, but come on, what was the point of that suspenseful CG cutscene if it doesn't amount to anything but a bunch of fetch/kill quests. Regardless of much money they spent on that cutscene, it was better spent elsewhere. Characters look interesting, but are bland as vanilla ice cream. Just soulless husks that give you quests. You will probably remember their distinct features instead of their names (the guy with the green shades, the chick with the boomerang and so on) . Your main character,however, has the most uninspired look you could think. He really, really reminds me of another equally uninspired d*ck - James Vega from " Mass Effect 3" and that is someone who I really don't want to remember. Oh and hes is mute and has no free will, no surprise there. But it's a FPS, you won't be seeing much of him. Characters and plot are not crucial to a good FPS, however- the combat and game mechanics are the meat of the game. Well, the combat was a mixed bag for me. Since "Rage" was made by veterans of the FPS genre, I expected an oldschool, fast paced Shooter with greater freedom for exploration. Well tough luck, the game is a MODERN FPS through and through. It has it all - the regenerating health, reliance on cover. Now, at least the execution was okay, combat feels fluent, more fast-paced than most tactical first person shooters. Ammo types were a nice addition. The weapons were a huge disappointment for me - a sawed-off shotgun, a magnum revolver, an AK, this is the best they could come up with? One of the most important elements of any good FPS game is having access to an arsenal of badass guns, the more unique the weapons are, the more memorable the game is.Probably the only creatively designed weapon was the boomerang,which wasn't really a weapon, just secondary equipment. Another big issue was the difficulty. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, but nightmare,as i found out was the optimal difficulty for me. And i still refrained from using med-packs. Exploration is very minimal, I wouldn't even compare it to "Borderlands" (which had a lot of corridor sections), it's more like the you get in "Bioshock". The only difference is that the corridors are longer, so you're forced to use the game's vehicles, which, to be honest, were ok in terms of handling, but I felt they were just there for padding out the game. Speaking of that, the game is rather short, you' ll probably clock in at around 14 hours with most side activities done. There is almost no character progression. You can unlock schematics for the engineering system, which feels tacked-on and completely pointless. I hate the UI, I really do. Now this may seem like nitpicking, but it becomes progressively more and more annoying as you play the game. The design of the interface looks incredibly bland with a tint of putrid green as an added bonus, unnecessary mouse acceleration that can only be turned off by fiddling with .ini filie, horrible and very console-focused inventory/equip system, they basically did a CnP from "Borderlands", reversed the layout and added a new tab for junk items. Overall "Rage" wasn't really a bad game. It just feels very underdeveloped (despite the long development cycle) and unsure exactly what it wants to be. There is little replay value, due to the low difficulty and lack of character development/ equipment variety/ exploration. Expand
  96. Jan 21, 2014
    I've actually had few graphical issues with this game, runs well on my system. I had a crash at startup for about a month until it cleared up for unknown reasons. Yet the real issue with this game, for me, is that it's very, very boring. I completely lost interest after just a couple hours.... and I'm not one to just leave a game unfinished. Although the shooty side of the game wasI've actually had few graphical issues with this game, runs well on my system. I had a crash at startup for about a month until it cleared up for unknown reasons. Yet the real issue with this game, for me, is that it's very, very boring. I completely lost interest after just a couple hours.... and I'm not one to just leave a game unfinished. Although the shooty side of the game was relatively satisfying, the missions were redundant. The story is immediately disengaging. The town and characters are like Borderlands 2 clones... I'm serious... it's remarkable how similar they are. Crafting is clunky and unenjoyable. Some missions send you to the same place several times to kill the same guys only for a different quest item. It's, actually, a lot like playing a more realistic looking Borderlands but without all things that made it fun.... Expand
  97. Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not quite sure what to say..... parts of the game look nice gun play is ok, but thats it. story "crap" driving portion fun for a minute but gets old fast "crap" Im talking PC version not played on console. I was soooo excited for this game and am crushed its so bad. :o( Do not buy for PC not worth $60 wait till its$10 or $15. Ugh could have bought beer with the money I spent andI'm not quite sure what to say..... parts of the game look nice gun play is ok, but thats it. story "crap" driving portion fun for a minute but gets old fast "crap" Im talking PC version not played on console. I was soooo excited for this game and am crushed its so bad. :o( Do not buy for PC not worth $60 wait till its$10 or $15. Ugh could have bought beer with the money I spent and enjoyed the hangover more. Expand
  98. Oct 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok.... so, iD wanted to make an RPG shooter in a post-apocalyptic setting with racing. VERY COOL IDEA. Unfortunately, they really, really screwed the pooch. ==========Your RPG elements consist of choosing one three suits with minor differences, three armor increases, and obtaining blueprints for building items. F-

=========Your FPS elements seem interesting, with multiple ammo types and several guns.... unfortunately, excepting the crossbow, which is just given to you, like most of the weapons, the shooting system is about as innovative and exciting as a plate of cold grits. You get thrown maybe three or four upgrades, you can't find any neat weapons out in the wild, you buy all your weapons and upgrades in shops (or someone just outright gives them to you), and there is no such thing as alternate fire, prone, leaning around corners, modifying your weapons, bullet travel time or physics. C

=========Continuing on FPS, the AI is extremely predictable, making it basically a chore after a certain point to wade through THE EXACT SAME ENCOUNTERS over and over again. More on that in a sec. There are no real innovative ammo types, excepting maybe the 6-in-1 pistol ammo. There is no stealth component.... once you engage, you're engaged and there is no benefit to using the one silent weapon, other than it's a crossbow. For a game with boss fights, they're kind of pathetic and sparse. The big build up to the final mission is...incredibly disappointing to say the least... It's really an understatement to say it's bad. D-

==========As for the post-apocalyptic setting, that is pretty par-on.... if you don't mind cheesy characters who don't reflect the values of people living in a society wanting for almost every necessary good. The mutants are interesting, but they're the only real â
  99. Oct 20, 2011
    If I could have registered a negative score, I would have. I have been playing PC games long enough to have grown out of them and yet this is the first game that I have ever 'played' that has completely beaten every effort I have made just to get it to work. I bought it through Steam - every effort I have made to get a refund either from steam or the developer has been ignored or battedIf I could have registered a negative score, I would have. I have been playing PC games long enough to have grown out of them and yet this is the first game that I have ever 'played' that has completely beaten every effort I have made just to get it to work. I bought it through Steam - every effort I have made to get a refund either from steam or the developer has been ignored or batted straight back with 'try this'. I am silly enough to have an ATI graphics card (which plays everything else perfectly) but if that is such a problem, surely the reseller should have flagged it. Rubbish. Expand
  100. Feb 16, 2013
    i bought this game after watching trailers and looking at screenshots. It looked amazing! Until I put it on my rather powerful PC rig and it ran like a one legged dog. The texture filtering issue is a game breaker in itself and make the game feel unfinished. The story had a good premise (even though the post apocalyptic world was well know to the gaming universe by now), but delivered likei bought this game after watching trailers and looking at screenshots. It looked amazing! Until I put it on my rather powerful PC rig and it ran like a one legged dog. The texture filtering issue is a game breaker in itself and make the game feel unfinished. The story had a good premise (even though the post apocalyptic world was well know to the gaming universe by now), but delivered like Mad Max 3.

The gameplay frustrated me more than anything else, particularly when I cleared an area and then as soon as I go back, it is full of the same Serious Sam enemies that simply rush you like Justin Beiber fans at the airport. Other than this the missions are uninventive and repetitive. Finally to top it off, I hate when you know a game is a simple port of a console game when it tells you not to 'turn off your PC while saving'. Yeah, I think i might just reach around the back and yank out the power supply from my $4000 computer during a save load. This insults my intelligence and dumbs down the game.

Here are two top tips for future cross platform games not originally designed for PC: 1.) Don't paste the game folder into 'Bobs game converter' to solely change the necessary files into a wizz PC format. 2.) Actually take the time to make the game into another format, such as PC and play test it first before boxing it up for release. You don't see chefs sending out food to paying customers before checking it is cooked and tastes right.

Therefore, for the above flaws, Rage on the PC is only worth a 2/10.

1. Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]