Rage PC

5.2

1. op8
    Oct 15, 2011
    Quite dissapointed for lots of reasons. 1)mind numbing missions, that provide zero motivation and proper reasoning. I honestly cannot believe that who ever wrote this is a person that even enjoys playing games. I would be embarassed to put my name to this paper thin plot, and i'm sure other real gamers will agree with me.I wish they had just left out the "story" completely.2)half the timeQuite dissapointed for lots of reasons. 1)mind numbing missions, that provide zero motivation and proper reasoning. I honestly cannot believe that who ever wrote this is a person that even enjoys playing games. I would be embarassed to put my name to this paper thin plot, and i'm sure other real gamers will agree with me.I wish they had just left out the "story" completely.2)half the time textures are too muddy. 3)There is absolutely no physics effects and no destructable enviroments at all.e.g.A vase on a table is stuck to the table like a cast iron statue, and that is unacceptable. If this is the consequence of this new engine then its not worth it just to have pretty looking textures for some of the game. 4)I have the worst screen tearing i have ever seen in my life (i have a very decent nvidia based rig and have not been able to get rid of it even with all the suggested fixes and patch). On the plus side i havent had any crashes or the texture pop-in others are having and it stays a nice 60 fps.Also the character models are nice, the textures at a distance can look look fantastic, the combat is fairly satisfying, and the driving is kinda Mario Kartish.The post release update (that also includes the missing graphics options) has made stuff worse for me and taken some of the crispiness out of the good looking textures.With all the technical issues its had at release, its really not what we should be accepting from a modern AAA title. Looking at the game as a whole package, its really below average in most respects apart from graphics, and not worth paying full price for, definately reccomend waiting for price drop. Expand
  2. Oct 6, 2011
    Another horrible console port. This game was under development for many years and heavily advertised as a new groundbreaking FPS. Well I guess they had a couple of monkeys working on the PC version, which probaly wasn't ported until the last 3 month. They didn't even try covering the bad port.

I hope ID gets slapped in the face by 1000s more of the current reviews I see out there. I am running the game on an Alienware Aurora system and my machine is humming and aching like an old windmill. I truely never had any game, not even close, running that bad on my system. Come on id you are slapping this right into the face of PC customers, there are not even proper video options in the game, what a joke!! Once again, PC gamers get cheated by the console hype and blindness. The sad story continues. I truely hope Bethesda doesn't make the same mistake with Skyrim.
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    If you can get it to work, it is a good looking game. Unfortunately, there are major graphical issues, primarily with ATI cards, but nVidia cards are seeing problems as well. Many people are having problems with the game crashing during load screens, which may or may not be video driver related. There are even faults with the games installation process, as it does not create a requiredIf you can get it to work, it is a good looking game. Unfortunately, there are major graphical issues, primarily with ATI cards, but nVidia cards are seeing problems as well. Many people are having problems with the game crashing during load screens, which may or may not be video driver related. There are even faults with the games installation process, as it does not create a required cache directory during install which helps with some of the problems. Gameplay is good, but it's nothing groundbreaking as ID claimed. Fairly linear, while you can drive around the world on narrow tracks, there's not much out there if it's not a defined quest area. Overall, it's a fairly average game that you're probably better off waiting for it to go on sale, rather than buying new. Expand
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    For a game, I'd give it 8/10. The story seems okay, but the aesthetics and attention to detail make the world seem vibrant, interesting, and even realistic. The gameplay is also good. Still, it's a disappointment that this just turned out to be 'good' instead of 'legendary' which is what all the hype seemed to suggest.

HOWEVER, I'm giving it 5/10 for the technical garbage that the PC

HOWEVER, I'm giving it 5/10 for the technical garbage that the PC gaming community has had to put up with. Everyone else I know who owns this game has had crashing problems, and I myself can hardly stand the game at times, since there's a strange choppiness to the game unlike anything I've seen before. Additionally, the textures load extremely slowly, so if you turn around too fast, hell, if you turn around at all, you'll end up seeing garbage textures before the high res ones load.

Overall, as a hit-or-miss game, I'd say this was a miss for John Carmack. It feels like a console port, and a poor one at that.
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    I'm only giving the game a 1 because at least I did enjoy the opening cinematic. Outside of that - the game throws you into it without any sort of understanding as to why you are doing the things you are doing. Gameplay = boring, story = wtf? Have they not been paying attention to other great games of late? I would have possibly given the game a 4 or 5, but it's hard to do that when YOUI'm only giving the game a 1 because at least I did enjoy the opening cinematic. Outside of that - the game throws you into it without any sort of understanding as to why you are doing the things you are doing. Gameplay = boring, story = wtf? Have they not been paying attention to other great games of late? I would have possibly given the game a 4 or 5, but it's hard to do that when YOU CANT EVEN PLAY THE GAME WITHOUT GRAPHICS GLITCHING LEFT AND RIGHT. This is not a beta. This is gold. Production. The $60 released to market supposedly completed game. id will not be getting my money again any time soon. Expand
  6. Oct 4, 2011
    Fail. Period. I want a refund. The game doesn't even look that good even without all the graphical problems. Why would they let this game be release and take peoples money when they knew it was not ready? Irresponsible. I have lost respect for ID, Bethesda, and Steam. In that order. Someone, somewhere should have put their foot down and not allowed this game to be release likeFail. Period. I want a refund. The game doesn't even look that good even without all the graphical problems. Why would they let this game be release and take peoples money when they knew it was not ready? Irresponsible. I have lost respect for ID, Bethesda, and Steam. In that order. Someone, somewhere should have put their foot down and not allowed this game to be release like this. I don't think I will ever pre-order a game from Steam again. Expand
  7. Oct 7, 2011
    Oh, come on, people. Don't listen to schoolboys, who never played Doom or Quake and dare to say â
  8. Jul 29, 2012
    Initially this game when it came out was too buggy to play, after 6 months I returned to play after the patches had been released. Game is boring with uninteresting story. On rails shooter with a bit of driving.
  9. Oct 3, 2012
    RAGE has been out a while now but I only just got to this review in part because I only just dragged myself through it.

Graphics: ID Software are known for their graphics engines, first it was Wolf 3D Engine which Lead to Doom Engine which was recycled into Rise of the Triad, Blake Stone and eventually even Duke Nukem and the unforgetable Shadow Warrior. Then came Quake the engine of

Graphics:
    ID Software are known for their graphics engines, first it was Wolf 3D Engine which Lead to Doom Engine which was recycled into Rise of the Triad, Blake Stone and eventually even Duke Nukem and the unforgetable Shadow Warrior. Then came Quake the engine of which was enhanced and used in the sequel and also famously used in Halflife. From there Various Engines came along in the ID tech family leading us to The Engine Rage is designed to show of Known as ID Tech 5 which is quite nice and know available for all Bethesda partners to use but only them. Where the graphics suffer is in that they are designed for Console, interestingly items often look nicer from a distance than up close, good from far but far from good. Up close textures take on a truly grainy horrible appearance which it seems no amount of hours of config tweaking will ever be able to fix. Probably the most Heinous sign of consolification is that within a few seconds of killing a non lootable enemy they magically disappear, giving you little opportunity to take a look at the enemies you face which from the various screenshots around the internet are interesting and very detailed. So I give 8 because of the grainy up close textures and the idiotic decision to remove all bodies.

Sound:
    This is where the game truly does Shine, I found the sounds, ambient effects & music to be excellent and the games use of surround sound is some of the best I have encountered.

Game Play:
    While the graphics have come along way from the days of Doom, Sadly the game play has not. In a nutshell this game plays like Doom in a modern engine with slightly upgraded AI (and I do mean slightly) some scripted attack sequences and slightly less flat levels than Doom. Does anyone remember the original team fortress ? It was the first FPS to include head shots, following that was Golden Eye on N64 and for most PC gamers probably their fondest head shot memories came from a little game called SiN ? (or if your younger maybe you discovered the joys of head shots & dismemberment with Soldier of Fortune). In Any case RAGE does not have head shots..... well it does they just don't really do anything. In Rage you you get a head shot and maybe a piece of armor or a hat flies off and an enemy gets stunned a moment then keeps shooting at you having taken no extra damage for the headshot, hello pre-1996 game mechanics... it is not really acceptable IMHO 15 years after head shots became the norm to exclude them from your game. If you don't want them to influence game play heavily then design around it (give enemies head armor to blow off like in Bet on Soldier or something.
    In Short there are no head shots and to top this off enemies are simply bullet sponges. The craptastic AI usually marches them straight at you (I played through on Normal difficulty) and the fast enemies who are weaker and like to melee and use heavily scripted climbing & swinging attacks are easily dealt with. In fact once you have the shotgun you can safely complete 98% of the game with just that and buckshot shells, a fact which is very telling. Beyond beating down bullet sponges with Adamantium heads the game usually has you doing mundane things like go through a level, hit a switch to move to next part, pick up a mission item etc. It even does the cheap "close a locked gate behind you and don't open the gate again until you kill all enemies who rush you" mechanic which was also popular in the 90's. The game makes you often backtrack through the same level and sometimes even sends you back to the same level to do something else more mundane than your last visit. There is a crafting component but you wont use it unless you are forced to IE: building certain items to reach gear stashes, building items such as remote control bomb cars to complete objectives only they can reach. There is driving, its nothing to write home about and is more like a mini game than anything.

Story:
    I found the Story underwhelming, there wasn't much to make me care about anything going on in the world beyond my own survival and you go from average Joe to "The Messiah" in the Blink of an eye. Speaking of Blinking, just when you think the story is getting a tad interesting you blink & the game credits are rolling past & its all over..... The Setting (quite possibly owing partly to the art style) also felt a lot like Borderlands, only borderlands pokes fun at its own attempts at story and concentrated on fun game play instead.

If its a toss up between RAGE and Borderlands (Since they seem so similar) I would go with borderlands over RAGE every time.
  10. Dec 22, 2012
    Kind of shocked to see the amount of negative reviews this game has gotten. (Altho many 2011 reviews comment on bugs and crashes. I cant comment on the state of the game at launch but I can tell you that as of writing this review I played thru the game from start to finish at max settings @1600p and it played smooth without a single hitch on a high end rig). This is a decent FPS, its notKind of shocked to see the amount of negative reviews this game has gotten. (Altho many 2011 reviews comment on bugs and crashes. I cant comment on the state of the game at launch but I can tell you that as of writing this review I played thru the game from start to finish at max settings @1600p and it played smooth without a single hitch on a high end rig). This is a decent FPS, its not ground breaking and given the pedigree of the team involved you may have understandably some high expectations. But while there are better FPS shooters out there, this (particularly at the cheap price it is these days) is still worth a go. Its actually a mixture of Motor Storm (a racing game if you didnt know) and a little Borderlandsish (enemies)! Its maps are especially large, which impressed me considering some of the beautiful detail. The AI isnt too bright, thankfully they are agile and have some randomness about them, but dont expect much trouble taking them down. The weapons are a bit of a let down, nothing feeling as good as it should - your melee attack is a force to be reckoned with, but a steel-tipped arrow directly hitting a naked head - apparently not that devastating :s I can see why some may have felt disappointed with this, especially if you bought it early and had the hype building. But as a game that can be found for under a fiver, its worth the money. Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    I played it on STEAM just a bit ago, it took me 19 hours trying to get everything and find everything and I am utterly dissapointed, The ending just, ends. No explanation, no boss battle, no closure. I was enjoying the game 'ok' but kept feeling like something was going to happen. I kinda felt like the 'bad' guys had no reason to be labeled 'bad'. I never actually saw them do anythingI played it on STEAM just a bit ago, it took me 19 hours trying to get everything and find everything and I am utterly dissapointed, The ending just, ends. No explanation, no boss battle, no closure. I was enjoying the game 'ok' but kept feeling like something was going to happen. I kinda felt like the 'bad' guys had no reason to be labeled 'bad'. I never actually saw them do anything wrong. I thought there would be some kind of 'surprise! they aren't bad!' ending, but no.. bland and derpy. The character animations and textures are great and I didn't encounter any bugs aside from intentionally glitching out of the level once. I really wanted to know more about the people but each one only has maybe 5 lines of dialogue. The game is gorgeous as long as you stand still as if looking at a painting; quick movements cause texture pop-'up' not really pop-in, but sort of uprezzing on the fly. Even with a modern AMD 7850 and Intel 3570. In short, a huge let down, could have been so much more and leaves me with a dead feeling. Not recommended even at bargain prices since the ending is such a letdown. The DLC is absolutely worthless. Expand
  12. Dec 13, 2012
    Another fantastic game from id with awkward graphics. The main campaign will take you about 10 hours between two hub cities filled with side activities to do, like playing a CCG, "wanted board" quests, gambling, and car racing. In fact about half of the game takes place in your vehicle of choice; whether you are traveling to the next mission objective, farming upgrade tickets, or justAnother fantastic game from id with awkward graphics. The main campaign will take you about 10 hours between two hub cities filled with side activities to do, like playing a CCG, "wanted board" quests, gambling, and car racing. In fact about half of the game takes place in your vehicle of choice; whether you are traveling to the next mission objective, farming upgrade tickets, or just hunting for sewer entrances (hidden DLC missions that comes free), there is a lot of non-FPS stuff to do. The main problems with this game are engine issues. There is a lot of texture popup without .cfg tweaks and a lot of the environmental objects (tables, radios, books, etc.) look like they have a single texture on them. It's a bit jarring when characters have real fluid, complex animations and top-notch texture and model work but they are surrounded by untextured objects. If you can deal with the uneven graphics, this is a real solid (albeit too easy) game. Expand
  13. Dec 2, 2012
    I will preface this by stating that I played this game ages (in computer time) after it came out, so I can not really comment on the numerous technical problems that heard of. From what I saw, I am forced to assume that they have been resolved; whether by the updates to the game or as a result of the higher-powered hardware, I cannot say.

Giving RAGE a six out of ten was not an easy

Giving RAGE a six out of ten was not an easy thing for me to do. There was a part of me that really wanted to give it a higher score. I can honestly say that I really enjoyed it, but I am forced to ignore that feeling and address the things whose absence kept the game from really standing out among the rank and file.
    The core mechanics are solid. I mean really solid. The shooting sections of RAGE felt balanced, challenging enough to kill me occasionally, but not so much as to cause frustration. The various "tools of the trade", so to speak, allow the player to approach combat as they see fit; whether that be picking the enemy off from a distance, or tromping right into the thick of it with guns blazing. The levels are indisputably linear, and while that certainly affects the game as a whole I cannot say that it took away from the core experience that I expect when sitting down to play a shooter. When stepping outside the various locations and hopping behind the wheel of one of RAGE's vehicles, I was pleasantly surprised. It felt like id really put in some time on the physics here. The vehicles have a feel of being driven, not just moved. The combat here was fun as well, the skill for success being primarily knowing how and when to use your items for optimal results. Possibly the worst part of my time in the cars was that it drew attention to what was missing, but more on that later.
    Overall, I was impressed by the graphics. To the point where my completion time for the game was probably stretched out due to my stopping from time to time to appreciate the rocks. There were certainly things that could have been improved. I ran across a fair amount of textures that were not up to par with the rest of them, often strangely situated on object that were definitely going to be right in your face. I can only assume that either higher quality versions are not loading, or they were just considered to be of less importance (several times this occurred in places where there was something you would normally have focused on primarily, and I did not notice until reviewing screenshots I took). Perhaps the most wonderful part of the graphical element of the game to me was the expressiveness of the characters. They had their own ways of moving, and their own facial tics. The result of this is that I can say id has sold me the most believable digital person I have seen in a video game to date, if considered for expressiveness alone. This, unfortunately, also served to highlight some of the things that I felt were woefully absent, and could have made RAGE into a great game.
    For all the parts of a great whole that are present, it feels like some components were not assembled to spec. There is an open desert wasteland, and it really does not feel like there is anything there. You are given freedom, but nowhere to go. The game seems like a hint at some massive idea of a much greater scope that was not realized. The characters have wonderful expression, but they don't really play much of a role for the player, other than to dispense supplies and missions. This is probably the greatest shame of RAGE. If there had been a stronger story, the characters may have had something to express.
    In closing, I would agree that the game is rather short, even if I did enjoy the time that I spent playing it. I would recommend playing it, but with the caveat that the best parts of RAGE are the parts where you are shooting things. You should probably enjoy shooters if you plan of buying this game. If you are looking for a sandbox, it sadly falls short of the mark, even if it feels like it could have hit that mark easily. To be bluntly honest, I think seeing how the characters move and emote, and just how damn pretty the game world is is fun in its own right.

Now, for my list of petty grievances:
    A lot of the characters seem to have poor quality textures on their hands.
    The game feels like a primer for a sequel, but it does not feel like there is adequate story for more than a prologue. (I treat this as petty because I consider RAGE as a shooter, not a book, regardless of how I feel the lack of a strong story negatively impacted the characters)
    Please stop blocking paths in ways that could easily be circumvented by myself, and effortlessly by someone able to battle authoritarian forces bent on domination. A chair does not weight that much, I can move it. And yes, I won't run through fire but I might just step up onto the chair that is positioned a meter to the right of the fire filled opening, and climb over the chest high barrier that the opening passes through.
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    Rage is the newest release from id Software, the pioneers of the FPS and creators of such games as DOOM and Wolfenstein. This game is id Software’s proclaimed return to the business of creating games, after being absent for a few years. Does Rage stand out enough to make it a front runner in FPSs’ to come? Or is it just another crude shooter?
    Rage takes place in a post apocalyptic world
    Rage takes place in a post apocalyptic world after nuclear war and meteor strikes have decimated the majority of life on earth. Your character (who is never named) is an ark dweller, person chosen to be placed in an ark underground to avoid the struggle of the war. The first scene in Rage involves your character waking up from his hibernation in his ark, and stepping out into the world.
    This moment of discovery was one of the most awesome experiences I have had in gaming for a while. Once outside of the ark, you are given the opportunity to look around your surroundings. It is this moment that you can tell the developers did not waste any time making this game look awesome. I spent at least 5 minutes looking just at the sky to watch the clouds overhead. These graphics were some of the best I have seen in a very, very long time, however just because the graphic s are good does not mean that this is an overall good game.
    Part of my problem with this game is the lack of originality in the story. The main plot emphasizes the role of a small, underground, rebel organization working in secret to try and overthrow “The Authority”, a repressive central government. Honestly this plot has come up in so many other venues that from the get go I was not interested.
    One aspects of the game that I was interested in was the gunplay, at least at first. This game really delivers on creating realistic enemies that react appropriately to gun shots. One of the best moments in the game was facing my first mutant, him running down the hallway at me and me taking a couple seconds to place a shot in both legs. The mutant responded very well, tripping and stumbling when the bullet hit him. Even though this was cool for the first few hours of the game, the novelty eventually wears off and gunplay becomes a chore, something you do because you have to, not because you want to. There was a severe lack of weapons in Rage, which made the FPS lose its shine fast.
    Mission variety is another low point in the game for me. Not only has Rage generic fetch quests, some of the mission environments are replayed, which I did not enjoy. For example, in one mission you had to go through an abandoned laboratory to collect medicine, and then later in the game you go back to that same location just to run through the entire same building backwards. I feel that this really poor choice to make, because the developers had such a cool setting for the game.
    I would say that the environment of Rage is neat, but the developers failed to expand upon it. When a game this comes out, I expected some heavy environmental exploration and discovery, however this was not so. The extent of exploration was limited to driving in between levels to complete generic missions. This would not bug me, if the “wasteland” (the land outside of hub worlds and levels) had any incentive to explore. In my time spent with the game, I never felt the urge to actually explore; I just drove from mission to mission without a second thought.
    Rage was a highly anticipated release; however it fails to deliver in many aspects. From mission variety to gun-play to story, this game falls short in compare to others in its field. The only thing that stuck out to me in this game was the graphics, which were nothing short of stunning, unfortunately this is the only high point in the game.
  15. Oct 15, 2011
    Rage is a poor game that doesn't use the strengths of id software. You go through short linear segments and deal with similar enemy archetypes. Then drive across and empty wasteland, which respawns enemy vehicles, to get another quest that tells you to go back to the same place and do the same level in reverse. There is only about 3 hours of unique shooting content in this whole game, theRage is a poor game that doesn't use the strengths of id software. You go through short linear segments and deal with similar enemy archetypes. Then drive across and empty wasteland, which respawns enemy vehicles, to get another quest that tells you to go back to the same place and do the same level in reverse. There is only about 3 hours of unique shooting content in this whole game, the rest is recycled, bland, arcade, repetitive, empty and underdeveloped. There is no replay value, there is no story, there is no character and there is no reason you should be playing it. Nolan North voices about six characters in the first half of the game. The co-op is incredibly poor and the racing multiplayer is fun for a few hours only. Visually it looks fine even if it is incredibly static and blurry up close. The launch was a disaster on the PC requiring config file tweaks. After the tweaks it was running really well at 60fps with no texture pop-in, but that didn't make it a good game. Expand
  16. Aug 27, 2013
    Appears highly derivative of Fallout 3 and Borderlands, though has a nice, unique art style and the driving sections/activities do add a little bit of variety. There is little to recommend the game, despite a few cool moments here and there (the giant boss in the hospital was fun) but he final mission is as abrupt and weak as if the development was cancelled at the last minute. WouldAppears highly derivative of Fallout 3 and Borderlands, though has a nice, unique art style and the driving sections/activities do add a little bit of variety. There is little to recommend the game, despite a few cool moments here and there (the giant boss in the hospital was fun) but he final mission is as abrupt and weak as if the development was cancelled at the last minute. Would recommend picking up cheaply only. Expand
  17. Oct 28, 2011
    It's not bad but it definitely falls short of expectations. To put it in x-meets-x-with-a-little-x terms it's like a watered down Deus Ex HR meets Crazy Taxi meets any corridor shooter. The action scenes are done Ok. You have many options to get through them but stealth really isn't one of them. Even if you kill the first guy without drawing attention to yourself the rest of the mooksIt's not bad but it definitely falls short of expectations. To put it in x-meets-x-with-a-little-x terms it's like a watered down Deus Ex HR meets Crazy Taxi meets any corridor shooter. The action scenes are done Ok. You have many options to get through them but stealth really isn't one of them. Even if you kill the first guy without drawing attention to yourself the rest of the mooks find you instantly. There is very little exploration possibility and every time you go into a fighting situation you're pretty much sent on rails through it.

When you're not in an fighting scene you're either in one of a few settlements or driving around. The settlements are very claustrophobic and limited. The sidequests are short, too few and too simple. NPC interaction is handled well, the character animations and art is one of the best things about the game. On the other side of the coin most of the character backgrounds, personalities, and motivations are shallow or nonexistent. You as a character have no real option but to follow on the quests you are given without really knowing anything. You don't know who you are, you don't know where you are, and you don't know what is going on despite the fact that everyone talks to you like you should know these things.

The end of the game was kind of open leaving me to believe that there will be sequels and that much of this will be explained, but for the most part it was a straightforward plot with no twists or turns, a generic shoot 'em up with minor rpg elements like quests and a construction system. I don't feel like it's a good excuse for leaving players in the dark as much as they did. Looking back on it, I probably spent about 20 hours playing it but when I think about what I actually did in the game it feels like 2 hours of game play with 18 hours of filler.
  18. Oct 18, 2011
    Hooboy... What is there to say about this game. The good: It's not a bad game. The bad: It's isn't a good game either, definitely not $60 good. I'd place its value in the $30 range. Suffice to say Rage is just plain mediocre in every conceivable way. Graphically speaking, it is simply not impressive, absolutely nothing about it separates it from anything everybody else is doing.Hooboy... What is there to say about this game. The good: It's not a bad game. The bad: It's isn't a good game either, definitely not $60 good. I'd place its value in the $30 range. Suffice to say Rage is just plain mediocre in every conceivable way. Graphically speaking, it is simply not impressive, absolutely nothing about it separates it from anything everybody else is doing. Combat is pedestrian and repetitive, nothing really innovative. Weapons are mostly generic. AI is more artificial than intelligent. And health? It's the same recharging style we've seen ever since Halo came out. While you can carry your full arsenal with you, you'll find the sniper rifle and the shotgun or assault rifle is enough to beat nearly any level. The overall gameplay mechanics seems as if nobody could decide if it should be a Borderlands-like RPG-FPS or a straight FPS game, ultimately settling on something in between (skewing more towards the latter) and doing neither style particularly well. Story is as weak and forgettable as it could get. Missions are repetitive. Non-outside maps are linear. Real boss battles are rare, and don't appear where you would expect them to, this includes THE VERY FINAL LEVEL. Yes, this game ends not with a adrenaline-filled boss fight, but a feeble mook rush that the player can easily dispatch of with no problem what-so-ever. And the ending... Okay, that STRAIGHT UP SUCKED. As FMV that lasts less than a minute that RESOLVES NOTHING. You never meet the supposed Big Bad leading the enemies. Or anyone in charge of even some them. The main antagonists of the story have zero characterization at all. Aside from that, the four bosses the game does offer are wimps, and offer no real challenge at all. The races are not interesting, upgrade the engine and tires and you're virtually unbeatable at racing. Rally (a.k.a. haphazardly placed checkpoint) races tend to be more frustrating than fun. The entire game world feels much smaller than one, maybe two, average Borderlands maps, consists almost entirely of canyons, and happily falls into the trap of Real is Brown for the first half and Real is Grey for the second. This game is pure mediocrity. Expand
  19. JJE
    Feb 17, 2012
    PROS: Gunplay is fantastic - the weapons feel powerful and the gadgets are entertaining. Atmosphere is truly immersive in some segments. Pretty (though not amazing) visuals. Racing/driving can be fun. CONS: Story is banal and delivered robotically. You're everyone's **** right off the bat. You couldn't give two **** about any of the characters, especially yourself. Some utterly inanePROS: Gunplay is fantastic - the weapons feel powerful and the gadgets are entertaining. Atmosphere is truly immersive in some segments. Pretty (though not amazing) visuals. Racing/driving can be fun. CONS: Story is banal and delivered robotically. You're everyone's **** right off the bat. You couldn't give two **** about any of the characters, especially yourself. Some utterly inane dialogue (eg."Do you feel the need for speed?" or "Drive like you mean it." said most times when entering a race). Small, I know, but just indicative of the general lack of a **** the developers gave for the writing (and no, the delivery of aforementioned lines does not come off as sarcasm/irony/parody). The game has the audacity to send you driving back to the same locations and playing through the map again, though often with the added 'diversity' of simply replaying it in the opposite direction to your first outing. Also; no matter what anyone says, this game feels A LOT like Borderlands (yes, I'm aware that development times for the two coincided, Rage starting first actually, but still, id software had plenty of time to improve the formula, instead it offers up even less), it's FAR less enjoyable/addictive than Borderlands. And finally, aptly, the ending: which is an anti-climatic, thankless, unengaging and pathetic excuse for anything resembling story and combat.

OVERALL: When you aren't being rocked in combat, you're instead being insulted by the atrocious story and cardboard characters. Only get this if it's on sale AND you're certain some good ol' fighting is all you need to be satisfied.
  20. Jan 15, 2012
    This game is consistently above bad and below good. It never breaks, never gets too slow or too hard. But at the same time, it doesn't offer a single moment of entertainment or satisfaction. It's an extremely professional creation, with an evidently huge budget with little love put into it. Not worth playing through, even if it was given to you for free.
  21. Jan 10, 2012
    This game has some great qualities and some bad ones. The good, the graphics look amazing, characters seem to act more lifelike. The story starts off great but then it ends. The ending isn't satisfying it made me kinda frustrated. If I had a guess, the multiplayer and co-op was the reason the campaign was so short and had the abrupt ending.
    If you where to buy buy on sale rather than full
    If you where to buy buy on sale rather than full price because it does have good qualities.
  22. Oct 25, 2011
    Everyone whines about the games buggy-niss but honestly i played through just fine with the release version. The textures was a bit annoying at times having to wait for it to focus but other then that there were really no issuses at all with my game, i assume that most of the negative reviews were people sucked into hype thinking it was a new fallout. It isnt. Nor was it ever meant to be.Everyone whines about the games buggy-niss but honestly i played through just fine with the release version. The textures was a bit annoying at times having to wait for it to focus but other then that there were really no issuses at all with my game, i assume that most of the negative reviews were people sucked into hype thinking it was a new fallout. It isnt. Nor was it ever meant to be. Its a good game at its core. Its super short though for its price. On Medium or average or whatever it was i beat the whole game and all side quests and found all the easter eggs(using youtube) in only about 14 hours. Its final game fight is pathetic and its ending is medicore.

The build to the end of the game is pretty enjoyable overall though. Its worth a one-time playthough then maybe selling it.
  23. Dec 26, 2011
    I'm about halfway through Rage and feel confident giving it a good review. It's not the groundbreaking game it looked like it would but, but it's very good. I suppose this texture error everyone is complaining about has been fixed because the game looks amazing on my machine. Still games should not ship with bugs that huge, so I'm not excusing id. I would give the game a 7 just forI'm about halfway through Rage and feel confident giving it a good review. It's not the groundbreaking game it looked like it would but, but it's very good. I suppose this texture error everyone is complaining about has been fixed because the game looks amazing on my machine. Still games should not ship with bugs that huge, so I'm not excusing id. I would give the game a 7 just for being pure fun, but I'm knocking off a point for the controls. I am really sick of these console ports, mapping xbox controls to a keyboard isn't good enough. Expand
  24. Feb 4, 2012
    Rage seems to suffer from a lack of inspiration. The racing is OK, the minigames are fairly bland, and the exposition in the story is pretty terrible. The combat is fun enough, and it feels very tight, but it's repetitive. The whole game is just merely OK. There's nothing particularly new or exciting going on.
  25. Oct 29, 2011
    The launch of Rage has been plagued by bugs and this is simply inexcusable. Now, after having applied the latest patches and installed the latest video drivers, the game admittedly runs pretty good. The framerate is smooth despite my aging gaming PC, but texture pop remains a nuisance.

The game itself then. Well, as this is an Id game with a new highly anticipated graphics engine let's start by judging the graphics. And no, I'm not convinced by the graphics: some areas look pretty good but some of the indoor areas are plain ugly. Very low resolution textures and low-poly objects (aka pixel vomit) simply gave flashbacks to 2005 or even earlier games. I'm pretty sure that the graphical engine is capable of much more on a current PC but the designer chose to stick to consoles as their performance standard. Furthermore, the graphics and the environment are very static. The sky is a simple static texture, almost no dynamic shadows (one of the prominent features in Doom 3) and the environment is not destructible at all - even unloading your rifle onto a china vase does simply nothing...

The gameplay is OK, or at least some moments in the game provide solid FPS action with rather decent AI. Unfortunately, the flow of the game is continuously being broken by car driving, hanging around in the hub towns and bartering your items for ammo. Also, the racing element doesn't contribute much: the racing is really Mario Kart-style and disrupts the realism of the game itself. The FPS/Racer hybrid simply doesn't work at all. The story is mediocre and failed to get me, as a player, involved. And what about the bland ending ? Or rather the lack of a proper ending... It simply feels that the game was unfinished, both technically ans story-wise. This is really a disappointment from iD - a first to me considering their track record.
  26. Dec 19, 2011
    Excellent graphics and good weapons choices are strong points in this game. Story line is a bit routine, however. The game also has too many racing challenges for my taste, but lots of shooting scenes. Ths game did have a few bugs that were annoying, but didn't ruin my playing. Generally, I would recommend the game, but the cost is too high for what you get. I suggest waiting untilExcellent graphics and good weapons choices are strong points in this game. Story line is a bit routine, however. The game also has too many racing challenges for my taste, but lots of shooting scenes. Ths game did have a few bugs that were annoying, but didn't ruin my playing. Generally, I would recommend the game, but the cost is too high for what you get. I suggest waiting until the price drops before getting Rage. Expand
  27. Oct 18, 2011
    Well it's unfair to say this game deserves such low score such as a 0, 1 or 2. But I would give it an 8 if it had high res textures, 7 if it had the bugs fixed but I'm going to have to give a 6 as I'm actually finding the game a tad boring after I played it for 45 minutes. With Fallout 3 and Borderlands I used to dedicate about 2-3 hours to those games. Unfortunately Rage doesn't live upWell it's unfair to say this game deserves such low score such as a 0, 1 or 2. But I would give it an 8 if it had high res textures, 7 if it had the bugs fixed but I'm going to have to give a 6 as I'm actually finding the game a tad boring after I played it for 45 minutes. With Fallout 3 and Borderlands I used to dedicate about 2-3 hours to those games. Unfortunately Rage doesn't live up to those standards. Expand
  28. Oct 27, 2011
    Before I launch into my albeit brief review I should clarify where I stand on post-apocalyptic game scenarios. Namely, love em. Borderlands, Fallout, Metro2033, STALKER, Deadspace, et al. but now onto the juicy bits.

There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said about this game. When I originally began playing this game (for PC) I was faced with many of the same problems as other gamers, i.e. screen tearing, flat-lining fps drops and the usual host of time wasting frustration of getting the game to play well. But then courtesy of some forum reviews and beta Nvidia drivers (now full drivers courtesy of BF3), and all was well in the gaming world again.

I anxiously booted up the campaign mode to be greeted with a quite glamorous intro and rather reminiscent opening scene that reminded me of Fallout 3. "Huh...this isn't very new" said my inner lover of post-apocalyptic cataclysms but I quickly silenced it. "Hush!" my concious retorted back, "give it a chance!". So off I went, into the world of...ummm...Rage? With warring bandit faction groups and not without a splash of critters that looked like a mix of zombies and lap dogs all mixed in with a civilized group of rag-tag characters that are simply trying to make a living selling bottle caps...I mean post-apocalyptic bullets...I mean credits...er...never mind.

Progressing through the game it quickly became apparent that I'd seen many of the game features before. Recharging health (Halo), Driving supped up dune buggies with guns a blazing (Borderlands), Core mission based story line with sub-missions to build up money (Fallout), ability to engineer new bits and bobs courtesy of "schematics" (Fallout), looting corpses (Fallout/Deadspace) mostly linear mapped faction hide-outs with the occasional hidden gem (Deadspace), Post apocalyptic story of a man from the past that seems to have been raised by a mix of John Wayne, Chuck Norris and Rambo... and the list goes on and on of comparisons.

Before I beat this game like a dead horse I'll get straight to the point. The game is not bad, i.e. if you enjoy this genre of gaming it's a decent way to get your fix of bad ass guns blazing going to ram rocks, dust and shot gun shells up your mutated wazoo sort of game with good looking visuals (if you're playing PC with a decent graphics card). That being said, if you were hoping for "the next big thing" that's not what you'll find. I did appreciate the work that was put into the characters, their fluid motions and correctness when speaking made them seem more real in a quirky cartoon sort of way. I also appreciated the ability to have all my weapons at once while also being able to create some interesting (and deadly) little schematic based toys to do some damage with.

I even appreciated some of the (rather limited) gun fights in (rather cramped) open world? travel spaces. But ultimately its all been done before (sorry ID) and other games have done it better. I'll admit you could probably beat this game with just the shotgun and enough bullets (on hard mode).

Looking back on this game I'll agree with most of the other negative posts, it's a lot of money to pay for a neopolitan game when we were hoping for chocolate explosion with a twist of Redbull. I feel a bit silly for paying such a high price for it, but I was lured in by pretty trailers (damn my impulsiveness and ADD!)

If I had to say anything about this game, it'll probably be something like Brink. Wait a couple of months and pick it up for $19.99 on sale on Steam.
  29. Dec 4, 2011
    Pretty disappointed with this game. The quests make you feel like there is no incentive to complete them, regardless of the fact that it is the only way to progress through the game. The story is almost non existent. It feels like they slapped together a story for sure, The combat feels like a basic shooter with little depth...

I was really expecting a lot more from this game. The only

I was really expecting a lot more from this game. The only reason it gets a 5 is because it runs/looks really nice on my gtx560m. What a let down
  30. Dec 20, 2011
    Ups and downs, ups and downs. Top-notch gunplay, with some better than average AI, great weaponry and level-design. Great graphics, I think I had the right drivers or something as I didn't experience any noticable performance issues, but they weren't as awe-inspiring as I thought they were gonna be. My personal biggest issue with Rage, is that there just isn't enough in the shootingUps and downs, ups and downs. Top-notch gunplay, with some better than average AI, great weaponry and level-design. Great graphics, I think I had the right drivers or something as I didn't experience any noticable performance issues, but they weren't as awe-inspiring as I thought they were gonna be. My personal biggest issue with Rage, is that there just isn't enough in the shooting department to make it anywhere near a match for something like Crysis2. There were never any situations where I had a vast army of baddies to deal with, or large-scale environments where you had freedom of choice to manoeuver. It was kind of like - go down pretty tunnel, shoot bad guy then next bad guy, move further along. That being said, there were some really atmospheric and tense moments, and plenty of places where you felt you were getting AAA-action for your buck. The driving element added something to the game, but there wasn't really any open world to go an explore. Having the baddies respawn in the same places even after they had been killed, was a bit annoying. Would have been better if they had some AI like in Left for Dead where there random things would happen. Still, I am giving Rage a 7. Definitely it lost a point for the terrible final level-mission, a point for repetitiveness and lack of scope. But I don't regrey buying and playing the game - I just don't see myself playing it again. Expand
  31. Dec 30, 2011
    As a shooter I like this game the controls are good and the fights can be intense at times. The graphics are pretty good but won't leave you amazed. I don't care much for the mandatory driving for progression. The lack of ammo made this game feel more like a boxing game as I had to slug it out in some occasions. I'm just glad I bought it on sale because I never would have paid fullAs a shooter I like this game the controls are good and the fights can be intense at times. The graphics are pretty good but won't leave you amazed. I don't care much for the mandatory driving for progression. The lack of ammo made this game feel more like a boxing game as I had to slug it out in some occasions. I'm just glad I bought it on sale because I never would have paid full price for this. Expand
  32. Jan 18, 2012
    I'm disappointed like a father would be. I had originally pre-ordered Rage, but changed my mind and decided to wait for the press reviews first out of caution. The initial feedback wasn't as glowing as I hoped but still I was intrigued, so decided to give Rage a go on the PS3. At first I thought I'd missed something. The horrendous texture pop-in prompted me to restart my console in caseI'm disappointed like a father would be. I had originally pre-ordered Rage, but changed my mind and decided to wait for the press reviews first out of caution. The initial feedback wasn't as glowing as I hoped but still I was intrigued, so decided to give Rage a go on the PS3. At first I thought I'd missed something. The horrendous texture pop-in prompted me to restart my console in case something had gone awry. It did not disappear. When I started working through the first few missions, I kept finding myself amazed at how thoughtless many of the game's design features were. Invisible walls preventing you from exploring, being unable to pick up your enemy's dropped weapons, the rather tired 'bullet-sponge' opponents, etc. It's not that Rage is a terrible game, far from it, but it just feels so underwhelming and mired in the past that I found myself wondering if the press had been playing a different game to me. The whole thing feels unpolished and full of ideas that never really go anywhere. If this was a budget title or even a retro game, I might just think "Oh well, that's how things used to be" and get on with it. But I bought this game in 2011 for full price; there's no excuses for shoddy products like this. Unambitious, unoriginal, uninspiring Expand
  33. Feb 9, 2012
    This game held so much promise for me, as it had great graphics, lots of missions, bloody combat, and interesting vhehicles. Sure, it's fun, but let's be honest here. It's a game that is in direct competition with other post- apocalyptic RPG's like Fallout- New Vegas, and it simply fails to stack up. You can use all sorts of different weapons (ie- shotgun, rocket launcher, sniper rifle,This game held so much promise for me, as it had great graphics, lots of missions, bloody combat, and interesting vhehicles. Sure, it's fun, but let's be honest here. It's a game that is in direct competition with other post- apocalyptic RPG's like Fallout- New Vegas, and it simply fails to stack up. You can use all sorts of different weapons (ie- shotgun, rocket launcher, sniper rifle, minigun, etc), you can beat it without having to modify and upgrade them, which means that the side quests (the meat and potatoes of any RPG) become completly worthless. It's good for a play through, but only when it comes down to a reasonable price. Expand
  34. Apr 30, 2012
    A lot of complaints here seem to be about graphical problems. My PC is a riduculous beast so I have never had so much as a pixel out of place. When Doom 3 came out, no one could run it, same with crysis. I think it's unfair to nock off points for this. I wanted so much to like this game, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and once it was mine I was suitably impressed with the detailedA lot of complaints here seem to be about graphical problems. My PC is a riduculous beast so I have never had so much as a pixel out of place. When Doom 3 came out, no one could run it, same with crysis. I think it's unfair to nock off points for this. I wanted so much to like this game, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and once it was mine I was suitably impressed with the detailed landscape. I thought the people and the weapons looked average. The racing aspect was irritating to me, it was a little too sloppy to have any real point. The ideas behind the game are good, and I applaud ID for doing something different, it's just that, somethings missing. Cant quite put my finger on it. There are plenty of annoying console things, but that doesn't worry me. As I play, I keep thinking, thats cool or I like that or wow that looks great, but I don't seem to be having any fun. My friends are over 30 gaming veterans and they loved it, so please make up your own mind. Not worth the bad reviews here, but worth a look Expand
  35. Jul 23, 2012
    Once I got over the strange graphics in the very first room, I was able to get into the environment and artistry id created in Rage. If you like post-apocalyptic mayhem w/ great artwork, I definitely recommend picking this up for $20 or less.

Composite score of 7.375/10. **Entertainment value: 7/10** "Surprisingly, I'm having fun playing it."-what I told my brother after 10

Composite score of 7.375/10.

**Entertainment value: 7/10**

"Surprisingly, I'm having fun playing it."-what I told my brother after 10 hours into the single-player campaign.

The artwork and exterior environments were the primary draw for me once I was actually playing this game. Nearly every surface and texture is unique, and all of the models are so detailed. It was really nice to see.

The story is nothing ground-breaking: civilization is destroyed, and we play a person from the past thrust into a post-apocalyptic nightmare. It's still decently pulled together though, and I didn't feel any more forced to complete this storyline than I did playing through Fallout 3's main line.

Although the vehicle combat and side games got old, the personal combat was pretty decent. I'll elaborate more in Design and Gameplay below.

**Graphics: 7/10**

Rage seemed more designed for the current generation of gaming consoles and smart phones than it did for PCs. Although PCs can run Rage, the game does not take advantage of SLI/Crossfire. It does, however, support anti-aliasing (AA) and anisotropic filtering (AF).

By default, Rage's graphics look mediocre. (Not as bad as at launch, but still not excellent). However, after some tweaking (see Nvidia's tweak guide @ www.geforce.com), I got the game to look amazing in outside environments. The artistry really shows through now. Character textures also really look great. Interior images are a different story though, because most interior building textures look washed out and grainy.

Due to the way Rage's graphics engine works, expect texture pop-ins (surfaces go from super blurry to detailed) along the edge of your screen as you turn your camera. EVERY time you turn your camera. I'd be lying if I said I got used to it.

Also, because of the tweaks I used to make the game look great (I still got well over 60 fps with a single Geforce 570), my zone loads were very long. Expect to wait a minute after every zone load for textures to finish loading... it's unplayably laggy if you don't wait.

These problems occur, because every structure/surface in the game was uniquely created and painted. Unlike most games, Rage doesn't use a few hundred textures over and over in tiles; each surface was individually done. Those textures account for nearly 20GB of data.

So, loads are slow

**Sound: 8/10**

I didn't score a 10 here, because there was nothing ground-breaking. However, I noticed no negative sound artifacts or errors. The sounds all felt organic to the environment.

**Design and Gameplay: 7/10**

Rage is a semi-open-world post-apocalyptic shooter full of stereotypical mutants and bandits. Pretty standard fare. But, who doesn't like eating their favorite food for the 100th time? Same thing here. id made Rage's enemies fairly aggressive, so you end up with a lot of mobs charging into melee range with you after jumping off random debris. So, surviving was a little more challenging than in the current cover-based shooters.

Rage has a few mini-games which have nothing to do with the story. I really don't like those. But, if you want to play a pokemon style card game while playing a post-apocalyptic shooter, Rage has one ready for you. It also has a lot of car racing which is actually pretty fun until you have to do the relay races. There's too much roll-of-the-dice involved for my liking in the relay races.

The quest giving and tracking system was clumsy. I'm pretty sure I missed some side quests, because I never knew the quest givers wanted help. Exclamation points above people's heads is totally artificial, but having the option to turn them on would have been nice.

Every time you leave a settlement or city and enter the wasteland, you're either driving as fast as you can to get away from someone chasing you, or you're fighting them. That environment makes it really difficult to explore the wasteland, and it's really easy to miss things. For instance, there are supposedly a lot of sewer entrances for players to enter, but I only found one, and it was pretty obvious.

Although I did not participate in the multiplayer side of Rage, I know there's no regular PvP element... only car races/combat.

**Game Length 9/10**

I believe a $60 game incorporating a multiplayer side should provide at least 20 hours of single-player content. The single-player campaign took me 19.5 hours to complete on Hard, but I only played races and skipped the other mini-games. Since this game technically has a multiplayer component, I should really give this a 10, but since that component is so weak, a 9 is the best I can do.
  36. Aug 6, 2012
    RAGE had a lot going for it really. The game-play was solid (as FPS and the driving aspect), the graphics top-notch (nVidia 560Ti), the UI was simple and easy to navigate (better than I expected) and the story started out good. However, I'm giving this game a 5 because of the ending....WTF just happened? I'm done? Wait....what? The game just freakin' ends....no real boss fight and justRAGE had a lot going for it really. The game-play was solid (as FPS and the driving aspect), the graphics top-notch (nVidia 560Ti), the UI was simple and easy to navigate (better than I expected) and the story started out good. However, I'm giving this game a 5 because of the ending....WTF just happened? I'm done? Wait....what? The game just freakin' ends....no real boss fight and just when you start to believe that the story and game is getting better. So sad, this game had such potential to be better. I'm glad I waited to buy this game and got it for $14.99. If I would have paid $60 for this I'd be very upset and I can understand the rage by some ppl. I'd recommend this game but only for $10 or less so you won't feel so dirty, lol. Expand
  37. Oct 28, 2011
    Disappointed by its lack of real depth, but still entertained by its mechanics. Good combat, driving, animation, audio. A good all over polish, but lacking any sense of a real open world. Lacking a compelling story, which is usually my main concern in a good game. Some of the graphics look fantastic, but a lot of the close up texturing just looks like crap. Compared to games like MetroDisappointed by its lack of real depth, but still entertained by its mechanics. Good combat, driving, animation, audio. A good all over polish, but lacking any sense of a real open world. Lacking a compelling story, which is usually my main concern in a good game. Some of the graphics look fantastic, but a lot of the close up texturing just looks like crap. Compared to games like Metro 2033, The Witcher 2, or the original Crysis, this game just doesn't live up to its hype. I would definitely recommend renting it and blasting through it for a couple days, but do not, I repeat do not spend 60 dollars on it. Maybe 30 dollars, but not worth 60 at all, not even close. Save your money for Batman Arkham City, or Elder Scrolls Skyrim, or the up and coming Assasin's Creed. Expand
  38. Nov 21, 2011
    I didn't buy this on release because i heard about the graphical problems which were occuring. I waited a few months and am glad i did. The game looks great on my GTX 570 (minus of few dodgy textures)and does not suffer from any screen tearing. I would sum up the game itself by saying its 'good fun', but not a classic by ID's standards. I do like the the constant change of being on footI didn't buy this on release because i heard about the graphical problems which were occuring. I waited a few months and am glad i did. The game looks great on my GTX 570 (minus of few dodgy textures)and does not suffer from any screen tearing. I would sum up the game itself by saying its 'good fun', but not a classic by ID's standards. I do like the the constant change of being on foot and driving, it keeps the game fresh. I feel like this game is abit of a missed opportunity for ID because the potential was there to really make something great. Rage is definately worth picking up now that it is reduced in price and has had most of its glitches ironed out. Expand
  39. Oct 10, 2011
    Well I have patched the game and installed the new ati rage drivers. The game runs great at 60 fps but what is really driving me nuts are the low resolution textures. I have a fairly powerful system but even if I had a lower end system this game would(with patches etc) run fine because of the texture situation. There have been .cfg posts on forums about enabling high resolution texturesWell I have patched the game and installed the new ati rage drivers. The game runs great at 60 fps but what is really driving me nuts are the low resolution textures. I have a fairly powerful system but even if I had a lower end system this game would(with patches etc) run fine because of the texture situation. There have been .cfg posts on forums about enabling high resolution textures but this is false. The .cfg fix doesnt add higher fidelity to the "megatextures" at all. So far the gameplay is ok...nothing great really. What I did like alot was the sound and the music. Well done there. The scenic vistas are good as well but the constant low res textures are Daikatanaish and annoying. This feels too much like a bad port and even with the patch to include new graphics options isnt really worth getting to be honest. Very disappointing considering how much I was looking forward to a GoTY candidate. For the love of god i hope Skyrim doesnt fail like this current Id/Besesda realease Expand
  40. Dec 26, 2011
    After 9 hours of playing RAGE: looks really good, guns feel good, and the driving feels good. I really don't care for the story so I enjoyed most of it. However, movement paths are restricted with lots of invisible walls and doors you can't open. The jump button is rarely used for navigation because you cant jump over the damn 3 ft. rail or counter or table or anything really.After 9 hours of playing RAGE: looks really good, guns feel good, and the driving feels good. I really don't care for the story so I enjoyed most of it. However, movement paths are restricted with lots of invisible walls and doors you can't open. The jump button is rarely used for navigation because you cant jump over the damn 3 ft. rail or counter or table or anything really.

Configuration options are embarrassingly limited for a PC game. You're stuck with only 4 or 5 video options, and most of the useful console variables are locked (including mouse smoothing/ acceleration, the god awful head bobbing, and the massive amounts of bloom rape). The only useful variables left are fov adjustment (wtf, should be available in graphical config) and one that skips the intro videos.

Overall, I think the game was exceptionally "okay."
  41. Feb 15, 2012
    This game is overall an average and I for once agree with the professional reviewers - if you set aside huge expectations that ID has built up prior to release (and i am one of those who fell for the hype and paid full pre-release price) then it is ok and even fun at times. It is a game that tried to be something much bigger than it is and at that it failed. It combines too much and thoseThis game is overall an average and I for once agree with the professional reviewers - if you set aside huge expectations that ID has built up prior to release (and i am one of those who fell for the hype and paid full pre-release price) then it is ok and even fun at times. It is a game that tried to be something much bigger than it is and at that it failed. It combines too much and those things don't feel as one complete game world.

I liked the care and details with which the levels were designed. Invisible barriers make you feel you play Doom 3 with some kind of glitch making walls invisible. In fact, one area is totally Doom 3-like - not even sure what all that blood and some alien outgrowth on the walls have to do with the Rage story.

Graphics quality leaves a mixed feeling due to very low resolution of close-ups - especially in darker areas. Other than that games looks very good and I do get great performanc eon 560TI. The weapons and the fight mechanics are very nice but some missions are too easy and boring. Story, is ok for a shooter but definetely lacks for an RPG. All the build/buy/sell activities feel boring and unnecessary. Driving is done pretty well but again, unnecessary. Minigames add pretty nice spice to the whole package and are done very well.

As far as bugs etc. I had no real issues with the game. However, I played it after the initial patches.

My biggest personal problem with it is the ending. Not to make this a spoiler, but for those who played the game - what was the purpose of BFG again?
  42. May 10, 2012
    OK so it's a lot like Borderlands. Yes, that may be true but what it doesn't share with Borderlands are the boring, repetitive missions, redundant and overly diverse weapons and lack of fun. Rage is a fun adventure FPS with driving elements that are reminiscent of Carmageddon and the Twisted Metal series. Rage succeeds in creating a credible environment with interesting charactersOK so it's a lot like Borderlands. Yes, that may be true but what it doesn't share with Borderlands are the boring, repetitive missions, redundant and overly diverse weapons and lack of fun. Rage is a fun adventure FPS with driving elements that are reminiscent of Carmageddon and the Twisted Metal series. Rage succeeds in creating a credible environment with interesting characters (great voice-over work although your character doesn't speak) and an engaging storyline. Everything looks beautiful and runs smoothly. The store system is very simple and is great for the engineering aspect of the game. It does lacks any real upgrading abilities though in terms of the weapons. The biggest problems with the game are that it is too short and most missions are similar. The racing circuit is very easy aside from the latter races that can be a bit challenging but there isn't many of them in general. There were far too many closed doors and the enemies would regenerate right after the areas had been visited. The ending was WAY too easy especially with the BFG. I had no issues with full video settings. I did have some sound issues at times though. It's not a perfect game but it is a fun one with some great visuals and story. The gameplay is challenging and exciting. Overall it needed a bit more. Also, I have absolutely no idea why this game is called "Rage" when there is no actual raging. Weird. Expand
  43. Apr 5, 2012
    Rage is, to say the least, a disappointing game. From what we've come to expect from iD this game is horrible when it comes to the quality we're used to. That being said Rage isn't a terrible game, merely a mediocre one. It's fun enough to play through if you bought it on sale but certainly not a full price game. Can't say I dig the new engine and their use of "streaming" textures orRage is, to say the least, a disappointing game. From what we've come to expect from iD this game is horrible when it comes to the quality we're used to. That being said Rage isn't a terrible game, merely a mediocre one. It's fun enough to play through if you bought it on sale but certainly not a full price game. Can't say I dig the new engine and their use of "streaming" textures or whatever it is. Still, I had fun shooting up stuff in the game and driving is pretty ok. Nothing horribly wrong with this game, but nothing to brag about either. Expand
  44. Oct 30, 2011
    $60 for a short game with a very poor multiplayer car combat racing game stapled on to the end of the game. Multiple performance issues with ATI cards, and even a few performance issues with nVidia cards. Basically, this is a game made to look pretty and show off their id Tech 5 engine, and that's about all of it. The graphics are ok at a distance, but close inspection of textures$60 for a short game with a very poor multiplayer car combat racing game stapled on to the end of the game. Multiple performance issues with ATI cards, and even a few performance issues with nVidia cards. Basically, this is a game made to look pretty and show off their id Tech 5 engine, and that's about all of it. The graphics are ok at a distance, but close inspection of textures reveals how grainy they are. The characters have some unique animations and the shooting aspects of the game seem fine, but the missions themselves are uninspired.

On the plus side, a few of the characters are kinda cool, and you get to hear John Goodman talk for a few minutes (What is it with Bethesda and spending money on high dollar voice actors just to have a few lines at the start of the game and then forget about them later?).

It's unfair to give this game a 0 or a 1, but it's likewise not right to give it a 7 or higher. Wait for the price to drop before you buy this, or rent it for one of the consoles. Don't waste your money on a $60 10 hour game. I've had more fun playing a low budget indie game for $10 than I did with Rage.

With any luck a really talented game developer can take their engine and make a good game out of it, or maybe they'll make some mods for it?
  45. Oct 28, 2011
    Many years ago, id software made Quake and Doom very very good game. But now... What it is? It is so bad shooter. Very short single, bad coop and boring multiplayer! Very bad, id software, very bad!
  46. Oct 20, 2011
    The PC version is spoilt (still) by texture fill problems on lower end systems, although the first patch helped with it somewhat. Unless it is my video card I find the quality of some of the textures to be poor, especially the parts of the city. I also find the game locking randomly, although it has never crashed.

The FPS part of the game is largely excellent. What lets it down are the

The FPS part of the game is largely excellent. What lets it down are the driving parts and the rather hotch potch characters. The races are simplistic arcade affairs. Roaming around from area to area is monotonous, only broken by the equally monotonous encounters with the bandits. The characters themselves are not that engaging and their speech is ruined by quite horrendous lip sync. There are sound issues too, with some of the music stopping prematurely and the implementation of 5.1 sound seems to be at odds with every other game I've ever played with 5.1 sound.

All that saves the game is the FPS part, but even here there are problems - some of the monsters are just plain dumb with literally two moves to their name. It was bad enough in 2001 but in 2011 there is no excuse. Shame because what is good about the FPS is actually really good and I have had some proper Doom style moments where you are literally scrabbling with your weapons whilst being swamped with impressively agile and well animated enemies.

The icing on the cake? The fact its essentially dumbed down for console gamers and it shows. 5 is the best mark I could give to a game I have waited patiently for since I saw the first trailer. I am disappointed the graphics are stunted by the need to make them work on a 6 year old console and the fact you feel like you are just retreading ground just to extend a storyline is plain lazy. From the so-called fathers of FPS I expected more.
  47. Oct 18, 2011
    Very disappointed. The "bugs" everyone mentions i had no problems with after the ATI fix. It was the overall game play from start to finish. At $60 you better believe i was going to tough it out. Graphics were phenomenal, i can't fault them there. Yes, when racing forward it tends to get "blotchy" but it is hardly a game killer. Very small and almost unnoticeable. The problem is the gameVery disappointed. The "bugs" everyone mentions i had no problems with after the ATI fix. It was the overall game play from start to finish. At $60 you better believe i was going to tough it out. Graphics were phenomenal, i can't fault them there. Yes, when racing forward it tends to get "blotchy" but it is hardly a game killer. Very small and almost unnoticeable. The problem is the game play and lack of a good story. There is absolutely nothing new to this game. It is literally Fallout plus Borderlands minus all the fun stuff equals Rage. When the price drops to around $20, only then will i say it was worth it. My pros: Great graphics. Racing, although repetitive, is pretty fun. Some of the items you can craft are really fun to play with. Cons: At $60, i expected something more. Story is dull. Lack of diversified "baddies". How many are there? 5? just with new textures? You can never have enough weapons....so being stuck with the same ones for the entire game sucks. This game only has 20 hours worth of game play. I probably could have beaten it sooner...call it my general curiosity to see if i got something new with side questing. You really don't feel that need to replay it. My only guess is that they purposely left out a lot of stuff to possibly sell add-ons? It needs bigger maps...more incentives...more weapons...a larger variety of "baddies... The user score is a lot closer to what the game should be scored at. At $60 i rate it at 4, at $20 i would rate it at 7. It is just missing too much to be fully worth that 60. Expand
  48. Oct 24, 2011
    Rage is OK. Not great and certainly not what I had expected. I told the clerk at the store where I Pre-bought Rage that I usually don't pre-buy games. However with Rage being made by id Software I told the clerk "that's a company I trust to make an excellent PC game" so I pre-bought the game. The graphics have been advertised as "jaw dropping". My jaw dropped alright but only when IRage is OK. Not great and certainly not what I had expected. I told the clerk at the store where I Pre-bought Rage that I usually don't pre-buy games. However with Rage being made by id Software I told the clerk "that's a company I trust to make an excellent PC game" so I pre-bought the game. The graphics have been advertised as "jaw dropping". My jaw dropped alright but only when I realized I was stuck with low resolution graphics. To be fair some parts of the game like peoples faces looked like they were in higher detail but most of the back ground including a persons clothing outfit up close was low blurry detail. No Direct X 11?? Why?? No SLi?? Why?? While I'm at it, no PhysX?? I have 2 Nvidia GTX 460's in SLi in my computer. However Rage only uses one card and rarely pushes it past 80% load. My computer has since release had little trouble running this game. I've only had the game crash once. The textures do take longer to draw than any other games I've ever played on my PC. Considering the level of detail in them its hard to understand why it takes so long to draw. The reviewers who suggest this game has amazing graphics or the best graphics they've ever seen, I'm certain would really be impressed with some older games I've played with better graphics than Rage. The game is pretty easy. Even on the hardest setting it's not a hard game to play and win. I don't think I ever got through Doom 3 on nightmare but it was fun trying it and I didn't expect to anyway. Rage overall feels like the start of a good idea that never got finished. Expand
  49. Nov 25, 2011
    I am a big fan of Bethesda, so this game was a bit of a disappointment. Instead of an open world, it is quite linear. It still is some fun, but not compared to other games out there. If you want to skip the driving, go with Fallout New Vagas. Want vehicles? Borderlands. Don't bother with this one.
  50. Dec 27, 2011
    Its basically Borderlands. Ran into no issues really. I am unsure of all the poor rates, but with everyone reviewing on the same day makes me believe they rated it out of the box before letting the dust settle. Game has been out now for awhile, I am not seeing any of the bugs everyone is reporting or any issues. If you love Borderlands and would like a twist, pick this game up at a goodIts basically Borderlands. Ran into no issues really. I am unsure of all the poor rates, but with everyone reviewing on the same day makes me believe they rated it out of the box before letting the dust settle. Game has been out now for awhile, I am not seeing any of the bugs everyone is reporting or any issues. If you love Borderlands and would like a twist, pick this game up at a good price. Got it on steam for $20. I recommend it, as long as its below $20. Expand
  51. Jan 6, 2012
    I bought this game weeks after it came out and I didn't have any of the issues other people had. Actually, the game is quite pretty. The texture fill in, or pop in, or whatever people want to call it sucks, but it didn't really bug me. However, the crap quality of the textures when you get close to things is worse. But for me, the real problem was: This game got boring fast. Really boring.I bought this game weeks after it came out and I didn't have any of the issues other people had. Actually, the game is quite pretty. The texture fill in, or pop in, or whatever people want to call it sucks, but it didn't really bug me. However, the crap quality of the textures when you get close to things is worse. But for me, the real problem was: This game got boring fast. Really boring. Really fast. I got half way and just started trying desperately to finish it. It's a major rail shooter. You visit every place pretty much twice. I don't know what to say other than buy it on sale. It's worth seeing the amazing visuals - unfortunately, Borderlands will stand head and shoulders above this game, simply because it came first, and was more interesting, story wise. Expand
  52. Jan 7, 2012
    A nice shooter with some rally races. Nice but nothing special. The Graphic's are not so good as promoted.
    I played it with a ATI Card and this doesn't work really... Hard graphic issues, but now i have an 560TI from nvidia and that works great.
  53. Mar 28, 2012
    Rage features an incredible new game engine married to an uninspired implementation that resolutely ignores many important revolutions in fps gameplay. //First, the potential for the new engine, id Tech5, is amazing. Graphically, the world of Rage is ultra-realistic, and stands toe-to-toe with Crytek's engines that drive the Crysis titles. Also, Rage's enemies behave in unique andRage features an incredible new game engine married to an uninspired implementation that resolutely ignores many important revolutions in fps gameplay. //First, the potential for the new engine, id Tech5, is amazing. Graphically, the world of Rage is ultra-realistic, and stands toe-to-toe with Crytek's engines that drive the Crysis titles. Also, Rage's enemies behave in unique and intelligent ways: foes advance on your position while utilizing covering fire, or swing from rafters with acrobatic agility. Finally, the physics of Rage allow for a plethora of death animations depending on your weapon choice and targeting. All of this adequately demonstrates what the engine can achieve and might still accomplish in future games. //Rage's particular implementation of the new game engine, on the other hand, is not so impressive. id ignores a decade of gameplay advances spurred by the Half-Life franchise and the first Crysis. Levels are not only linear in progression, they are essentially one-dimensional in a physical sense, too. Most are simple hallways lined with obstacles on either side that prevent the player from choosing alternate routes through the dungeon. Even the jump ability is virtually useless, since the player rarely can jump on or over boxes, fences, or other objects, drastically reducing any sense of realistic interaction with the environment. In this way, Rage is a big step backward even from the original Doom games. What was id thinking? //Rage is id's first real attempt at writing a storyline that structures gameplay, and here, too, it falls short. Non-player characters are wooden caricatures, and the story offers no possibility for meaningful relationships or allegiances. Dialogue is unimaginative, stereotyped, and predictable. As others have remarked, the characters in the story never rise above their basic roles as facilitators for new missions. //The missions themselves are mostly unrelated jaunts into different areas of the Rage world without an overarching purpose that motivates your endeavors. Rather, your character feels like a mercenary for hire, willing to work for anyone and everyone for the right price. Over the course of these missions, major questions are never answered (I'd say this is a spoiler, except that there's hardly any story to spoil): Who is the "authority"? What do they want? Who is the "resistance"? Why should you work for them? What happened after the asteroid decimated the earth? Why do you have nanobots in your body that quickly heal your wounds? id vastly underestimates its audience if it assumes players will be satisfied by such a thread-bare story. //I suspect Rage was created mostly as a demonstration of the id Tech 5's capabilities so that id can license the game engine to other software developers. The game itself is an uninspired hodgepodge of simplistic scenarios that might have been developed as six or seven different games had id wanted to create an encompassing gaming experience. While I understand id needs to license its new engine for business purposes, there must be other ways to communicate the engine's potential without subjecting players to such underwhelming gameplay and story. Expand
  54. Apr 1, 2012
    A game that tries too hard to be "Fallout 3 meets Borderlands" falls short on both accounts. The game is absolutely gorgeous, but that doesn't do much to save it from its short single-player experience and uninspired plot. I really tried to like this one, but in the end, I was seriously underwhelmed.
  55. Aug 15, 2012
    It saddens me to say that id has fallen off the throne as the FPS king. Rage felt like a hodge-podge mix of multiple games, such as racing, adventure/RPG, casual and shooter. With the exception of shooter, the other types of games were below average and felt like tedious wastes of time once the novelty has worn off. It's quite unfortunate, since the FPS aspects were absolutelyIt saddens me to say that id has fallen off the throne as the FPS king. Rage felt like a hodge-podge mix of multiple games, such as racing, adventure/RPG, casual and shooter. With the exception of shooter, the other types of games were below average and felt like tedious wastes of time once the novelty has worn off. It's quite unfortunate, since the FPS aspects were absolutely fantastic! A plethora of weapons and utilities, amazing animations and visceral combat easily made the FPS portion of Rage a must-play for FPS fans. While I was sorely disappointed by this anticipated release, I definitely recommend you grab it in a sale. Expand
  56. Jun 13, 2012
    This game was far too easy for me. I am not a FPS player, but I set games as hard as I can to see how I do. Even on insane I walked through this game with no problem. Otherwise the game is great, very few bugs that I noticed decent graphics and fun mini-games left me with an overall positive impression.
  57. Oct 13, 2011
    This game looks more like a Tech Demo for their new engine than a proper game. A Tech Demo for Consoles that it - because this PC release is spitting in the face of PC gamers. Let's continue with the actual game.

The story is boring and becomes a hurdle to overcome to be able to get to the shooter part of the game. The RPG elements are thin, bland and generally make you wish you had started up Fallout 3 instead. Throw in a racing part that seems only intended to show us their engine can do racing and this game seems to serve no other purpose but to show potential buyers what you can do with their engine.

Speaking of the engine. Megatextures might very well be the future. The environment looks pretty from far away. Up close however, it is as if we are back to gaming in 2003 where it's ok for the environment to be an indestructible green screen - and smallish objects are barely recognizable.

I forgot the sound. It might have been because my neighbors lawnmower sounds just like the hot rods. Yes it does.

Not quite sure why professional reviewers love this game. (Or say it's mediocre yet give it 90 points). My advice: Wait for the games that others will create with id Tech 5.
  58. Oct 12, 2011
    Sadly without the jaw dropping graphics of previous id titles to prop up the limp gameplay this game is mediocre at best with an awful lot of filler. This is another title that shows the dreadful decline in the quality of PC games over recent years.
  59. Nov 3, 2011
    What a massive shame!!! Nothing like it was meant to be
    What a massive shame!!! Nothing like it was meant to be
    Positives are the terrain graphics and fighting. Fighting was great fun and i loved the wingsticks. The driving is good fun too but got a bit boring towards the end. Negatives.....First off was the screen tearing!!! shame on you for releasing it with that level of issue and not really offer any real help. Eventually fixed it and then the graphics were great. Storyline, what storyline? far too linear too. I think they ran out of ideas at the end too, i must have finished the last level in about 10 mins with could have done with just my fists. It could have been a good game as some parts like dead city were amazing. Shame Bethesda didnt make it more like fallout 3 but if the next fallout has terrain detail like this then i cant wait. Provided it has a better story than new vegas
  60. Nov 26, 2011
    The game played fine for me on the PS3. A normal game nothing really outstanding but nothing really game breaking preventing me from playing the game. The only thing that prevents this from being a higher rated game is the length is far to short and you don't get to explore the world like Fallout which is given nods to in game.
  61. Oct 12, 2011
    Giving the game a 0 or a 1 is harsh and ridiculous. This game is played by a bunch of grumpy PC gamers who think this is still the 90's. The game isn't perfect, and the game isn't the most exciting, but let me write a quick REAL review.

First of all, the game launched with what people thought were bugs. In fact, it shipped without true driver support. The game ran terrible and I wasn't even sure what was going on. After installing the 11.10 Preview drivers and receiving the second patch, the game was smooth as butter. It's too bad we don't get smooth as butter games the second it's released. Yeah I know, we all want to play the game at midnight, but it's usually not such a good idea. Unfortunately, it's commonplace for patches and driver issues and updates and yadda yadda. It's money, politics, management, planning, etc... No launch is perfect.

Finally when the game did work correctly, I could see the beauty. The game EXCELS in outdoor art and architecture. The settings look photorealistic from afar, but like many others say, textures appear blurry and pixelated up close. They were obviously designed that way, but the tradeoff is extremely apparent. A lot of objects look low res and there are practically no physics or interaction with the environment, it's static, but it sure looks pretty. The tone is rather dark, not much color or super impressive lighting, but it'll do.

The audio on the other hand was very amateur. I won't point fingers, but it sounds rushed. Vehicle engine sounds don't blend properly, music doesn't loop smoothly, stingers end abruptly, dialog is rather dry and boring. The gun sounds were decent, and some hit sounds were decent, but it seems very corny and oudated for a game in 2011. Very disappointed with the audio. It wasn't immersive at all.

The storytelling was also very bland. I didn't feel like I was working up towards this grand finale. I didn't feel like I had a purpose. I was just this dude killing **** to make people happy so we could fight those other dudes cause you know, they're bad and all... That's fine. But if you're going to pretend you're an open world game, I'd at least appreciate some more interesting missions, dialog, interaction, and storytelling. This is where the game fell absolutely FLAT.

The gameplay in general is fun. I play tons of FPS's. I love all of them. Sci-fi, military, open world, corridor shooters, you name, I'll generally play it and have a blast. I think this game delivers the fun factor. It's a bit different from the usual id and it features some really great driving. While I wish it was incorporated in the story a bit more interestingly, the driving and shooting was fun. Then you pop out of your car, do a mission classic FPS style (Plus some cool new guns) and then that's it. But it's very formulaic. You always know what to expect. The environments, while unique and beautiful, still lack substance for the gameplay. I really wish this wasn't so. But it's the truth. We get a little bit of this, a little bit of that. But what is this? Don't try and be an RPG if you're not. Borderlands did the RPG thing well, so did Fallout, this falls short of what could be an RPG and ends up more like an expanded basic FPS.

All in all, the game is worth trying if you like shooters. But I think so many people are "Extremely disappointed to the MAXXXXXX" is because we expect so much of id. If this was any other developer, people would be like, "Cool. Fun game. Bored of it. Whatever." But because it's id, as PC gamers, we feel let down. It's too bad, but we can only hope for something more spectacular on next generation consoles. Yeah, you heard me. CONSOLES. I don't like to say it either, but in this business you need to make money to survive, that means tailoring towards consoles. As someone who works in the entertainment industry, I know = / Would I say this is a great PC game? Meh, it's so-so. The ideas were there, the heart and the hard work was there, but the execution was poor. We end up with another shooter that ends abruptly leaving you saying, "Really? That's it?"
  62. Oct 5, 2011
    First off - if you, like me, are running Windows 7 and your video card is ATI, you are very likely having serious graphical issues with this game. At first, I couldn't even run the game which I pre-ordered from Steam (never again!). But ATI has released a specific set of drivers for these Rage issues and ... they WORK ! I no longer seem to have any noticeable graphical issues - theFirst off - if you, like me, are running Windows 7 and your video card is ATI, you are very likely having serious graphical issues with this game. At first, I couldn't even run the game which I pre-ordered from Steam (never again!). But ATI has released a specific set of drivers for these Rage issues and ... they WORK ! I no longer seem to have any noticeable graphical issues - the pop-ins, shearing, etc., are gone. Here is a link to the ATI Rage page at AMD:

For those of you who are not running Windows 7 with an ATI card, maybe check to see if nVidia has a fix out for this.

I agree 100% with all those saying this game should not have been released with all these issues - it makes Bethesda and Id look bad and makes me lose confidence and trust. I know now after this that I will NEVER pre-order a PC game again. I will wait until the game is released so I can gauge what the issues are. When it comes to PC games, or maybe even consoles games, patience is indeed a virtue. Don't give in to the pre-order hype andbait ... and don't trust the offical"Critics". Look at the difference here at Metacritic between the Critics score and the User score - Wow! Now about the game itself .... for those of you expecting a Fallout experience, this ths game is NOT Fallout - it doesn't have the great atmosphere and feeling fallout 3 and New Vegas have. It's also quite linear - you can't really explore as much as you can in Fallout. You have to stick to the set pathways. Want to get off the path and climb up that rock face a bit - forget it! But still there are things I like about it. The scenery is interesting and the graphics are clear and detailed, but not revolutionary, once the issues are mostly gone. Graphics are just a bit above those of Fallout. And unlike Fallout, you get to drive a vehicle. The AI Mobs are interesting and pretty tough. The game is always feeding you quests, big and small. This game is like a mix between Fallout, borderlands and Doom, and it can be intense at times. The game has a little circular minimap like the GTA minimap. I wish there was a way to get a larger, more detailed map, like in Fallout. When you have to go somewhere, they trace a path for you on the minimap like in GTA so you know where to go..

To be honest, if I'd have known beforehand what this game was really like, I sure as heck wouldn't have pre-ordered it and would have waited until the price dropped to about $29 or something like that. I pray to God that Behtesda does not drop the ball with Skyrim. I had a lot of issues with Old World Blues DLC that never seemed to get fixed and now the Rage issues - what's wrong Bethesda, are you maybe too overworked and don't have time for testing??? At least I've learned a lesson - I will not pre-order Skyrim - I WILL wait to see the reviews. If the game is too buggy on PC, I'll get it on PS3 instead. I WILL learn to be patient and not be so impulsive in future - saving me money and frustration. Thought I had learned that lesson after my experiences with Civ 5 lol - Gee but I'm so tired of companies releasing betas and treating us customers like guinea pigs - wish they all had the same attitutde Blizzard has - you release a game when it really IS ready. Don't companies test their bloody games anymore? Don't they care about quality control or how we consumers perceive their companies and products? Guess not.

Anyhow, after considering the games graphical issues, and then the fix from ATI, and then after considering how the game makes me feel and its potential, I give it a 5 ... which I am willing to increase or lower at sometime in the future.
  63. Oct 6, 2011
    Maybe it's because this game was so widely hyped, but I was super disappointed. Lots of the same problems as everyone else, but most notably TEXTURE DRAWS. Every time I turn around it's like the game forgot that it had just drawn that and had to redo it all. To me that just looks sloppy. No I do have to say that the graphics (when they were finally drawn) were great, and on par with a bigMaybe it's because this game was so widely hyped, but I was super disappointed. Lots of the same problems as everyone else, but most notably TEXTURE DRAWS. Every time I turn around it's like the game forgot that it had just drawn that and had to redo it all. To me that just looks sloppy. No I do have to say that the graphics (when they were finally drawn) were great, and on par with a big game. The characters were pretty good as well, each was unique and facial animations were awesome. Beyond that you have a linear storyline, limited gameplay styles, a SHORT campaign (10 hours with some sidequesting), needless to say there is nothing special about this game. Expand
  64. Vio
    Nov 20, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this game, only to have my hopes shattered. Graphics wise this game suffers from texture popping issues even with the latest drivers/patches on a extremely high end system (nvidia), more over due to the amount of textures that megatexture allows ID ended up with a 150 gigabyte high rez texture which they then had to compress down to 20GB to try make the gameI was really looking forward to this game, only to have my hopes shattered. Graphics wise this game suffers from texture popping issues even with the latest drivers/patches on a extremely high end system (nvidia), more over due to the amount of textures that megatexture allows ID ended up with a 150 gigabyte high rez texture which they then had to compress down to 20GB to try make the game smaller to ship. This caused extremely low resolution textures in some places and in others caused compression artifacts. The game itself offers nothing in terms of dynamic lighting, all the lighting is static, baked into the textures themselves. Have a look at QuakeCon 2007's demonstration of what there characters were going to look like vs. what they delivered in the latest game play vids and you will see a significant reduction in quality. Whats good about the Graphics? Excellent animations and a couple of wow moments when mega texture actually does pay of in terms of terrain detail. Overall though I'm disapointed, in many ways doom 3 and quake 4's graphics were better in some places, and those are 5-6 year old games. Gameplay is arcade shooter style with some racing elements, combined with crafting. Crafting in this game was not really necasary, but it is ok. Enemies were a little annoying as they seem to be so armored all the guns seem weak. I.e. the best 'machine gun' type weapon in the game which has a BFG round as it's alternate fire takes 50 bullets - 50! - to put down a normal humanoid soldier. Other than that the movement and shotgun is very satisfying. Sound in the game was good with the music being really cool in fights. Get it on a half price special if you're gonna get it. Expand
  65. Nov 8, 2011
    A truly beautiful game. With lots of wasted potential, technical issues and non-existent story. It defends itself as a shooter and graphically , but fails almost everywhere else. A shame, really, because it could be so much more.
  66. Nov 29, 2011
    Terrible don't waste your time. This game should cost 10 dollars and no more. No story No goal nothing expect beautiful graphics. Carmack and his team have lost there touch. It seems developers just try to rush there products to meet share holders demands. This is terrible game to release the end is the worst one I have seen in ages.

Pathetic attempt at entertainment.
  67. Jan 4, 2012
    If you think Borderland's story was dry, 1-dimensional, and left a bad taste in your brain, but you still want the RPG, post-apocalyptic experience, this is it. Rage (now bugless!) mixes a feel of seriousness to go augment the great atmosphere with hilariously larger-then-life characters that make the game colorfully varried. The guns shoot, and you've got a lot of them, so unless you'reIf you think Borderland's story was dry, 1-dimensional, and left a bad taste in your brain, but you still want the RPG, post-apocalyptic experience, this is it. Rage (now bugless!) mixes a feel of seriousness to go augment the great atmosphere with hilariously larger-then-life characters that make the game colorfully varried. The guns shoot, and you've got a lot of them, so unless you're in too much love with the two-weapon-realism, this half-life-esque armory you'll be carrying should satisfy any end-of-the-world-survivor. Facial maps of characters is top-quality, and the scenery through which you'll be trudging on missions is pure scenery gorn--the attention to detail by id Software to the decimated city you visit is mind-blowing, and a true reminder of Life After People. On the downside, when it does seem to be sandbox, it's not. And when it's not sandboxish, it's linear as the original The Houe of the Dead. But with the only sandbox game pulling off freedom and atmosphere being STALKER, a little guidance is welcomed for an absorbing experience, and even needed when you're going through areas with so much eye candy the makers of 2012 would be jealous. But above all, it's really fun when you equip rockets to your vehicle and go on rallies. Expand
  68. Jan 13, 2012
    This game is very good when you start to play it but it's repetitive end it's all ways the same walk and kill ID software have failed when they done that game.
  69. Mar 3, 2012
    A buggy, boring, disappointing mess of a game. id Software are really going downhill. The only rage I feel is for buying this game in the first place!
  70. Apr 3, 2012
    Main letdowns were occasional crashes throughout the game, a weak ending, and Steam users have to download a special file separately to even run the game. Aside from the initial technical difficulties, the graphics are solid and there is decent gameplay, though many missions feel too short. However, players can take on missions in whatever order they choose, they can compete in vehicleMain letdowns were occasional crashes throughout the game, a weak ending, and Steam users have to download a special file separately to even run the game. Aside from the initial technical difficulties, the graphics are solid and there is decent gameplay, though many missions feel too short. However, players can take on missions in whatever order they choose, they can compete in vehicle races, and play other minigames. No level-up system, however there are a variety of upgrades for weapons, vehicles, armor, and item schematics. Most weapons have multiple ammo types. Plus there are multiple ways to earn cash and items (just be sure not to blow up Bandits or Authority soldiers with explosives if you want to snag their loot). Not a bad game overall (once you circumvent the bugs), but don't expect the next best thing in the gaming industry. Expand
  71. Jan 4, 2012
    The game isn't THAT bad if you can get around the really stupid texture pop-up which could be mostly alleviated by a configuration file posted on the Steam forums. This game gets a mixed review because of this factor alone and really kills the immersion of the game. I am also disappointed that this game was mainly optimized for the console crew and leaving the PC crowd to fend forThe game isn't THAT bad if you can get around the really stupid texture pop-up which could be mostly alleviated by a configuration file posted on the Steam forums. This game gets a mixed review because of this factor alone and really kills the immersion of the game. I am also disappointed that this game was mainly optimized for the console crew and leaving the PC crowd to fend for itself with these sorts of issues to deal with.

Hopefully id gets its act together and fixes these things with a patch, which would probably bring my rating up to an 8.
  72. Feb 17, 2012
    I felt somehow frustrated with Rage, after all I had a lot of expectations from it. The gameplay is smooth, the graphics are amazing, very polished indeed and technically it's all what we've heard about it, but the game lacks what it could be better: experience. Even Doom 3 had some experience to offer. It seems id Software's DNA is impregnated all over Rage - it's still an FPS with veryI felt somehow frustrated with Rage, after all I had a lot of expectations from it. The gameplay is smooth, the graphics are amazing, very polished indeed and technically it's all what we've heard about it, but the game lacks what it could be better: experience. Even Doom 3 had some experience to offer. It seems id Software's DNA is impregnated all over Rage - it's still an FPS with very smart enemies and boring linear storyline. I mean it. The racing stuff didn't help so far. Ok, I have not finished the game yet, who knows something will change my mind later. Still, graphics are unique, a must-see. But games are not all about graphics, are they? Expand
  73. Mar 8, 2012
    As a shooter game, Rage has excelled in most areas: graphics, story, and possibly item variety. But the rush of a PC creation inevitably brings up horrifying issues: constant crashes, cliched quests, overhyped marketing and etc. Is it a fine game to pass by on a boring day, but not something that would grab the interests of a hardcore FPS player.
  74. May 14, 2012
    Nice shooter with terrible/laughable story, flat characters and empty world.There was a lot of potential for a great Mad Max esque game, but it was all squandered.My rating: 5/10
  75. Jun 4, 2012
    I formatted my first review and it does not work, so I will list my opinion with letters and ')'. Let's start.
    a) I live in Hungary, I pre-ordered this game and I could take it on the day of the official street date. I tried to install the game, I had the physical release in my hand (I only buy boxed releases) and Steam did not let me install it - the error was: the game is not out yet! I said what the f*ucking hell?! If I can buy it in this **** country (Hungary), then it's out :) NO! I wrote to Steam, they answered it will work next day. THIS IS A JOKE. You hold a strongly single-player game in your hand and you cannot install, because it's not digitally distributed yet. Ridiculous! b) After I installed it, the game simply did not load. I made searches - "known" bug, only for AMD videocards. Hmm, I love games that got released, but not tested properly. That's why we pay FULL PRICE for a game? Of course not. c) Invisible walls pretending the player to reach certain places. d) You feel like you're running in a tube... the game is so linear. e) The objectives/quests (or call whatever you want) are primitive as a piece of rock. f) While the intro is cool, the ending of the game is poor in content. The difficulty was really serious at the end of the game, but I could survive, just because of a bug! I crouched next to a panel at the very last scene and because the enemies couldn't crouch, they "couldn't" kill me. LOL!!! g) Poor physics. h) Re-spawning enemies! WTF? i) Very short gameplay, even though I always explore every corner in every game I play! ---- Summary: The graphics is beautiful, the textures are very detailed and the small games during the gameplay could be very entertaining, though they are repeating. I played through the whole game and I felt like there is an expansion or Rage2 already planned, due to certain design elements... I saw huge possibilities in this game, but most of them remained intact. Possibility is not enough. 5/10 and I was so generous. What is sure, I will not _pre-order_ any more ID Software game...
  76. Sep 29, 2013
    Not bad. It's a great step from the dark Doom 3; now you can actually see the textures. The story is a bit dull. Travelling back and forth sometimes tedious. I love the weapon selection and the ammo types, but constructing items takes too much time, without apparent reason, as the game is paused; you can construct mid fight?! I hated the rally type races; apparently, the AI had way betterNot bad. It's a great step from the dark Doom 3; now you can actually see the textures. The story is a bit dull. Travelling back and forth sometimes tedious. I love the weapon selection and the ammo types, but constructing items takes too much time, without apparent reason, as the game is paused; you can construct mid fight?! I hated the rally type races; apparently, the AI had way better control over his cars than me. Sprinting time is too short and the money limit is annoying: anything over $9999 is lost, but of course, if you purchase something then, it decreases. The permanently missable cards are another problem, even though most areas can be visited twice. Expand
  77. Dec 27, 2014
    I really want to give this game a 10 for the fighting mechanics, but it has too many flaws.
    -Why are there so many invisible walls? It looks like a big open area but it moves like I'm in Doom 3 or something.
    -The driving is just stupid. It's like the game is asking me to pay a time and effort toll to play the damn game. -Why do the character animations look so weird? Everybody acts like
    -Why do the character animations look so weird? Everybody acts like they're in a Disney cartoon. Tons of facial expressions and hand talking. Normal people don't act like that. If I ask for help at Home Depot or Walmart, the employee doesn't make weird gestures and faces while talking.
    -It feels very much like a low quality console game where someone had a list of things to include in the game. Driving, we need that. Our game also needs a store, and players should be forced to use the store because ammo isn't overly abundant. And it needs a questing system. And it needs a crafting system. It almost looks like the game started as Doom 3 then someone hastily tried to make it more like Fallout.
    -The controls are rather odd. You use the F# keys to set your optional item and hit Q to use the item. That's fine and all, but why is a grenade considered one of the items? Shouldn't the grenade be the G key so I can throw wing stings with the Q key? Of course not. You're forced to set the item to grenade then hit Q to throw a grenade. Strangely, buttons F and G are used for previous weapon and next weapon instead of a more logical wing sting and grenade.
    -It feels like the game gets in the way of playing the game. I'm forced to talk to characters I don't care about, help people I don't care about, drive to places I don't care about. Exploring seems to be discouraged. It's the exact opposite of Fallout.
    -I've only played this for 4 hours, but it feels like I've only shot at things for 20 minutes. The rest of the time is driving and talking. The game simply lacks fun.
    -Why are the game's opening movies not skippable? The game loads twice as fast if you remove the .bik files from the game's video folder.
    -Why does v-sync turn off if I alt tab out of the game?
  78. Oct 11, 2011
    There are a few fundamental things to bare in mind with this game, and as an extension, all id Software games. Having grown up on Doom, Quake and their numerous sequels and expansions, I've come to know and love the id Software conventions, the stylistic flourishes and absolute purity of the gameplay experience you can always rely upon. id Software have broken some of the rules with Rage,There are a few fundamental things to bare in mind with this game, and as an extension, all id Software games. Having grown up on Doom, Quake and their numerous sequels and expansions, I've come to know and love the id Software conventions, the stylistic flourishes and absolute purity of the gameplay experience you can always rely upon. id Software have broken some of the rules with Rage, with both positive and negative results.

Unfortunately, at least with the PC release, few people are discussing the game itself and are more interested in **** about the games technical problems at release, which are still in the process of being fully resolved as far as I am concerned - the patch that was hastily put together over the weekend has fixed some issues, but despite having 1gb of RAM on my Geforce 8800 GTS, the games textures are sub-par and I cannot seem to override this. I know the game should look better than this, and unless I am expected to have a state of the art card or an SLI set up, I'm not sure why things are so blurry. But this brings me to my next point, which is the gameplay, and moreover, the pace of the gameplay and combat especially - things move fast, really fast. Enemies dart around, dodge and interact seamlessly with the many intricate details of the environment (more than the player can, I might add), genuinely fleshing out their presence and keeping you on your toes. The weapons are satisfying enough, and my favourite is the tried and tested id Software brand shotgun - the best damn weapon in any real game of note since 1993. The alternative ammunition types add yet more variety to the experience, and show that id Software have been paying attention to the other games in the last several years since Doom 3 in 2005... maybe a little too much attention, some might argue. First impressions of the game environment will inevitably conjure up (very fond) memories of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, only the visual fidelity (textures notwithstanding) is ramped up to the nth degree. Rage is a painterly game, with the id Tech 5 engine allowing the game's artists to literally paint their way through the game's design. Some of the most striking moments happen in the Dead City area early on in the game, with the ruins of urban environments, shanty towns, hospitals and subways really becoming incredibly vibrant and threatening. The stranger additions, more reminiscent of Doom 3, are bizarre and revolting and unfortunately, not exactly explained in any way. Leading into the plot...

The games story is threadbare, which is unfortunately another id Software standard feature it seems. Normally however it doesn't make much of a difference to the experience with their games, and this is almost true of Rage, but id Software have made a game that is banking itself on it's modernity, it's expansive open world, and it's range of characters you can interact with. All of these elements are more superficial, especially in comparison with games such as Fallout 3/New Vegas or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but in a sense, this is where id have got things right - what we want from them is a shooter, a total blast and a lot of thrills - not a realistic shooter with hours of preparatory exposition, legwork and wandering around in a state of confusion, which is not to say Fallout isn't spectacular, it's just a different kind of game altogether. The similarities are aesthetic alone. Unfortunately however, Rage's plot IS underdeveloped and ends all too abruptly, which is a common problem in modern games, it would seem (Deus Ex: Human Revolution is guilty of this, as is Crysis 2, and if I'm mentioning Crytek games, I'm going to mention Far Cry, as irrelevant as it may seem now - Far Cry (PC) had the worst ending to a game I have ever seen, and Crytek should be embarrassed still by it). I enjoyed the game thoroughly up to this point and hammered through it in pretty good time, but all in all was left feeling that there should have been more, and what I wanted more of was the FPS combat that Rage excels in. The driving component of the game is daring and satisfying, but nowhere near as interesting to me personally as exploring environments on foot, really taking in the details and the artistry of id's legendary design. The race sections of the game are fun though, as is the whole game, and the pacing of every element of the game never skips a beat. But unfortunately the game skips along at such a pace it eventually hits a brick wall and ends pretty suddenly. I'm looking forward to some meaty DLC, and particularly some imaginative mods that make use of the new technology (and how long until someone brings back REAL deathmatch to this game?) to really make this game something unique.
  79. Oct 8, 2011
    I did not even get to play the actual game because I gave up trying to make it work properly after about 2 hours fiddling with the drivers and the config files. First it just crashed upon launch. Fixed by installing a beta driver. Then it stuttered, freezing every 2 seconds for about 7 seconds. Fixed by disabling "Catalyst AI" in the drivers. Then I got corrupted textures all over theI did not even get to play the actual game because I gave up trying to make it work properly after about 2 hours fiddling with the drivers and the config files. First it just crashed upon launch. Fixed by installing a beta driver. Then it stuttered, freezing every 2 seconds for about 7 seconds. Fixed by disabling "Catalyst AI" in the drivers. Then I got corrupted textures all over the place. Somewhat improved by tweaking the config files but never fully fixed.

Now I understand that this is probably caused by broken video card drivers more than by the game itself, and by the fact that this is virtually the only game that uses the newest OpenGL version, and that those issues will eventually be fixed, but knowingly releasing it in a virtually non-working state for the majority of ATi card users is just pathetic. Especially with id's reputation as one of the the leading technology companies.
  80. Oct 5, 2011
    Ok this game is no where near as bad as most people here suggest!....

Ok this game is no where near as bad as most people here suggest!....

The game is quite linear with the missions/quests all linking together which often necessitates they be completed in the correct order before a new one can be embarked upon... though this isnt a strict rule and some can be overlapped... most missions are pretty straight forward and on arrival at the mission destination often include another sub-mission which is initiated & required in order to complete the first!..this can be a bit irritating after a few missions..but not overly so..
    The graphics on my system nvidia gtx 285, i7 @ 4.2 ghz are smooth and often look amazing with great attention being given to the set pieces in each location..some are a true work of art...Sadly this is slightly spoilt on the pc version with pretty dismal and often very low res textures complete with pop up laggy texture drawing when quickly viewing another area of the environment then another....the lack of V-sync was solved in my case using Nvidia inspector and forcing it on..
    The game is a sort of cross between Fallout 3 and Borderlands.....but its neither....and in some ways fails at both levels in some areas and also succeeds for what it is........its a shooter at heart trying to employ rpg elements/missions etc to maintain interest and longevity...but its a strange union that makes you wish sometimes it was just a pure free form rpg like Fallout 3..especially since the graphics can at times look amazing....but sadly this is no Fallout 3 beater...and the world is often devoid of life nad activity..until you hit the next scripted event around the corner!

But I like the game, its easy playing..it has character...the driving elements and races are in some ways similar to a dumbed down motorstorm on the ps3...but later on with added guns and shields and drop-able bombs etc to spice it up!
    Gameplay when gun fighting is quite satisfying also..with enemies AI offering enough of a challenge for most players on the harder levels....and weapons offering the usual upgrade paths and so so variety...
    The main issues with the PC version of the game in my opinion are the low res consolized textures!...yes the scenery is amazing at times and the set pieces and structures are amongst the best i have ever seen on any game, it just seems so sad and weird that the graphic options in the menu are non-existent....come on..i know this is a console port but wtf....there are literally NO options apart from a basic resolution and AA... and the resultant graphical issues limitations are very obvious...am sure tehy could of been fixed before releasing the pc port!... As they stand at the moment they do not seriously distract from the games enjoyment but they certainly dont add to it either!...and there is NO excuse for such LOW RES TEXTURES!

This game with some polishing and a high res texture pack could look awesome!....as it stands it just looks great....its certainly better than the stupid cell shaded Borderlands crappy graphics that some seem to wet their knickers over!..

but its ok..its def worth playing .....am giving it a 7..maybe thats a bit generous.....but its certainly worth far more than the 0's and 1' some here are giving it!....does it live up to the hype and previews....well maybe not..but what game today does!...most are simplified dumbed down console games to pc ports with shallow game play, low res textures etc...it seems developing games for consoles is killing any real game play and holding back on any depth of game play and a lack of graphical need or willpower to develop real TRUE next gen games..so this game sadly falls into that same simplified box as all the other simplified cash for console ports! games like the latest call of juarez the cartel...or even Deus Ex - Human Revolution.they all share the same problem CONSOLES!.......it shows in the lack of vision and lack of REAL development commitment towards a deep satisfying game.....and the new console area also shows a lack of any real interest to programme for PC's anymore (programming old code for old consoles does not require as much effort as pushing the envelope for newer DX11 technologies and the immensely superior capabilities of modern PC's)......sadly with pc piracy at an all all time high and most console games a sure fire win win situation financially for commercial games investors/developers..its hard to see a way forward for future pc games....this is a huge slap in the face for PC owners when you consider this game was released prob with knowing graphical bugs/glitches.(unless all the pc beta testers were BLIND!)....this pretty well sums up all the attitude of the shallow console games developers and their shallow slap in the face couldnt give a real **** to pc owners and their crappy port-overs today....
  81. Oct 6, 2011
    What a shock to the system! With id Software at the helm of this game, I was expecting a true triple A title. I'm not a fanboy, and I dislike them whether they are blindly devoted to PCs or a particular console, or an individual game company. That being said, I AM a PC gamer. I don't hate consoles, I just prefer the PC and have been playing games on them for many years. I would expectWhat a shock to the system! With id Software at the helm of this game, I was expecting a true triple A title. I'm not a fanboy, and I dislike them whether they are blindly devoted to PCs or a particular console, or an individual game company. That being said, I AM a PC gamer. I don't hate consoles, I just prefer the PC and have been playing games on them for many years. I would expect though that a game company such as id, that has been so successful because of the PC platform, to ensure that any title they release on it, be technically sound by the time the game goes gold. Sadly this is not the case with Rage. Only after a hurried "hotfix" patch from AMD as well as some graphics card tweaking on my own, can I play the game without getting a headache from screen tearing and texture pop in. The pop in problem is still there, but is not as annoying. Surely this will be fixed in a patch, and another driver update, but for id to release a game with graphical issues after boasting about idTech 5 for so long, is an insult to the community that put them on the map. The graphics do look nice at times, but seem quite uneven. Outdoor settings can look fine. Rock cliffs and skies can look amazing, and then you can look at the ground close to you and see nothing more than a low resolution brown mass.

The game itself is OK, and while I'm not one to be looking for the next NEW feature in a FPS, there is nothing in Rage's game play that stands out. I feel as though I'm playing Borderlands with different graphics. Not that that's a bad thing. I quite liked Borderlands, and I look forward to Borderlands 2. I just didn't think that I would be playing it so soon.

The voice acting is great, I hope John Goodman makes appearances in more games. The weapons are great as well. Control is fine, though Tim Willits says that a gamepad is the way to play, mouse and keyboard work fine, even in the racing sections, which I suck at. (Unfortunately, I'll have to grind my way through some races in order to be able to get some "quests").

There is fun to be had with Rage, and though I've picked on the weaker points, I am enjoying the game. As far as the PC version is concerned though, the game needs to have the technical issues addressed ASAP
  82. Oct 13, 2011
    Game would impress much more if we had no Fallout 3 and Borderlands much prior Rage. Now, when we have what compare with, I found it very secondary and, thus, boring. World is highly detailed, what is great, but too small..
  83. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is based on the advanced idtech 5 engine. This game is the idtech 5 engine. There is little else other that that. What does that mean? You get textures rendered in great detail and thats about all to it. I had a feeling the outside world of wasteland to be very isolated, there is no open horizon, you are always driving inside a huge ramp. Even the otherwise beautiful view of darkThis game is based on the advanced idtech 5 engine. This game is the idtech 5 engine. There is little else other that that. What does that mean? You get textures rendered in great detail and thats about all to it. I had a feeling the outside world of wasteland to be very isolated, there is no open horizon, you are always driving inside a huge ramp. Even the otherwise beautiful view of dark clouds and mountains in the horizon is too static and does not add any liveness to it. The game play: i have started on normal difficulty level but soon switched to nightmare and still felt lack of challenge. Only the very last vehicle battles near the nexus and the nexus itself was a bit more "nightmarish", but not so hard you would expect anyways. Oh and the ending, the ending is plain horrible! I can only assume they made yet another mistake and simply forgot to put it in! That sums up (the absense of) the story. The shooting ... i found the shotgun to be well suitable in almost any situation, given its 3 all very usefull ammo modes. Just sprint to the enemies and pound them, same goes for the big guys in thick armor and miniguns. And that's at nightmare. Too easy! The only case you would really need another gun is to take out some distant and otherwise unreachable targets with a sniper rifle. So, in the end you get a supposedly very advanced id tech 5 engine, but, it seems, id has not taken much care to build a game on top of it! Expand
  84. Oct 8, 2011
    The game I found to be quite enjoyable the weather you like the game play or not is purely up to your opinion I enjoyed. However if your into games more of the realistic variety I would not recommend it throughout the game the enemies changed behaviours making me constantly change the weapons I focus on using and make me vary on the ammo types. the game is incredibly enjoyable and theThe game I found to be quite enjoyable the weather you like the game play or not is purely up to your opinion I enjoyed. However if your into games more of the realistic variety I would not recommend it throughout the game the enemies changed behaviours making me constantly change the weapons I focus on using and make me vary on the ammo types. the game is incredibly enjoyable and the vehicle combat is fun and well made as well. however there are quite a few graphics problems with the game and I hope they fix them soon with a update but currently the game left me with the feeling that I would have enjoyed it more on ps3. the single player campaign is a nice length but plot wise its just a massive cliché so if your hoping for a in depth plot then don't even bother but if your like me and you just feel like having a bit of fun then I would recommend it but definitely wait until they sought out graphics problem just buy it for whatever console you own. So great game but there's too many pc problems and lack of plot but does plot really matter would you rather play far cry 2 or F.E.A.R. I personally found F.E.A.R. to have terrible game play. So you can wait a while for them to sought out the problems on PC or buy it for a console. Expand
  85. Oct 12, 2011
    Yes. People don't like, when them deceived. 1.) Open world! - Where?! 2.) Non linear gameplay! - No,it isn't true too. 3.) Impressive story line! - Boooooring. But! The designers and animators work great. The game wold amazing...looks Like vary big CG ART. Ok. What we have? Very boring gameplay, stupid NPC , not many bugs, amazing world, disbalanced weapons (I play from start to the endYes. People don't like, when them deceived. 1.) Open world! - Where?! 2.) Non linear gameplay! - No,it isn't true too. 3.) Impressive story line! - Boooooring. But! The designers and animators work great. The game wold amazing...looks Like vary big CG ART. Ok. What we have? Very boring gameplay, stupid NPC , not many bugs, amazing world, disbalanced weapons (I play from start to the end with pistol) , very stupid race.(I love shooters. Why i must play to race game?) This game is Total failure. John Carmack you disappoint so many people. 5 for art, 2 for gameplay Expand
  86. Oct 12, 2011
    Small bits of fun here and there but overall a very shallow experience in a large world that boxes you in (look at this gap - I can ju...no I guess I can't...look at that I'll be able to explor...no I guess I can't go there either). Graphics need tweaking (although by now people will say "DUH!") but once it's tweaked it does look very pretty. I just couldn't get attached to any of theSmall bits of fun here and there but overall a very shallow experience in a large world that boxes you in (look at this gap - I can ju...no I guess I can't...look at that I'll be able to explor...no I guess I can't go there either). Graphics need tweaking (although by now people will say "DUH!") but once it's tweaked it does look very pretty. I just couldn't get attached to any of the characters in game as they were pretty boring (and lifeless too - not convincing enough to make me care at all about what I was doing...although it's not like I had any choices anyway) and I didn't find much of a story to write home about (actually not much of a story to do anything with).

It's a shame that this will most likely be my last ever id/bethesda game that I buy (and I was so hoping for a Doom 4) as they seem to care very little about PC Gamers (and I just refuse to play an FPS on a console - sorry John Consolmac but you can kiss my @ss you sellout).

Conclusion: Wait for the steam super sale...this one ain't worth full price!
  87. Oct 15, 2011
    I've been playing fps games since they were invented and having just finished my first and only play through of Rage, my first reaction is that I'm very disappointed. The game isn't anything special, the graphics were average (poor if you include the texture popping), the combat is average, the levels are dull and restrictive, the only redeemable feature for me was the cars/driving, asI've been playing fps games since they were invented and having just finished my first and only play through of Rage, my first reaction is that I'm very disappointed. The game isn't anything special, the graphics were average (poor if you include the texture popping), the combat is average, the levels are dull and restrictive, the only redeemable feature for me was the cars/driving, as for the story and the ending, what a let down. ID software should be ashamed of themselves. Expand
  88. Oct 17, 2011
    Fantastic gameplay, looks amazing and soo many different way to go about playing. Great compelling story line my only problem with the game is that when you take the finaly mission you dont expect I thought I was taking a mission to start me into the next intense phase of teh game but then BAM the game is over missing a final boss.

I didnt take the bugs into consideration considering they

I didnt take the bugs into consideration considering they were temporary the game had a bad launch but they have seemingly fix everything ran amazingly after the first patch

taking that all in I highly suggest giving this a play but considerign its length issues id wait until the price dropped to 40 bucks 60 is bit much for its length
  89. Nov 15, 2011
    its doom 3 with even better graphics. and larger environments. decent voice overs. entertaining enough storyline. not worth the full retail price in my opinion. good idea but late on arrival. something that would of done a lot better if it was released at its current state 5 years earlier.
  90. Oct 5, 2011
    I suppose I was one of the few that didn't have issues with the game from the get-go. So from the beginning I was blown away by how open the world was and how nice it looked without compromising any noticeable performance. I felt like it was a good mix of story line and side missions without focusing mostly on weapons/items like borderlands did. The only issue I have with the game is theI suppose I was one of the few that didn't have issues with the game from the get-go. So from the beginning I was blown away by how open the world was and how nice it looked without compromising any noticeable performance. I felt like it was a good mix of story line and side missions without focusing mostly on weapons/items like borderlands did. The only issue I have with the game is the game was 22GB for about 9 hours of gameplay. The ending (without giving anything) just sucked. All of the sudden the end cinematic comes up and you realize that you just beat the lack-luster finale which in my opinion was much easier than a lot of the stuff leading up to this point. Disappointing finish to an unbelievable start. Expand
  91. Oct 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game looks and plays beautifully. I am using two Nvidia 295 with my I7 at 3GHz and the game just runs smoothly for me. I love the racing portions! It is kind of like pod racer on wheels. On the shooting side it gives you a somewhat engaging story with an "open world" environment. If you look at the review dates it seems that most people made a review when they couldn't run the game. Cry babies! For the rest of us it is just another great id game. Rage will be a great new franchise for them. Thanks Carmack!
    Update:
    I only have one grief point. The single player campaign is too short and the ending feels abrupt. In fact it feels like that somebody suddenly wanted to push out the game... Sadly, I had to lower my score now!
  92. Oct 9, 2011
    Not bad at all.Ok, what i mean. After so many let downs games for example hunted, brink, duke nukem forever, Rage is best of the let downs. PC developers are cheating pc players, for me, its legal steeling our hard earned money. Rage looks older than old Doom3, or Prey. Despite textures problem, custom config fixed it, and on my old rig playable @ 1920*1080, gpu nvidia gtx275 and vintageNot bad at all.Ok, what i mean. After so many let downs games for example hunted, brink, duke nukem forever, Rage is best of the let downs. PC developers are cheating pc players, for me, its legal steeling our hard earned money. Rage looks older than old Doom3, or Prey. Despite textures problem, custom config fixed it, and on my old rig playable @ 1920*1080, gpu nvidia gtx275 and vintage CPU intel e7500. What i dislike on Rage is that linear feeling, i cannot go where i want, so i'm limited by accepted missions, where i'm allowed to go.I dont understand why it consumes 21 GB on my hdd. Second problem is, when i exite active mission, for example i went from sewers to waistland, i completed 2 of 3 objectives, killed all bandits, and later i went back to the sewers to finish 1 remaining. all bandits were alive again at the same position as before. Music is OK, but repetetive, looping from middle of the song. Weapons, shooting and sounds are awesome, moving is perfect. Enemies are retarded, sometims shooting to wrong directions, but the know trick jumping, they will surprise you at the moment you dont expect. Also their conversation is funny. Racing is OK, funny. Rage can entertain you for long time, if you do forgive developers and publishers for releasing unfinished game.

From me, 7/10. Will i buy any new PC game this year ? No. PC gaming is over. Rage is proof of it.
  93. Oct 6, 2011
    This game while beautiful engine and the developers infused it with ample dose of humor and well done voice acting - it is lacking in every other area. The shooting is mundane, the crafting a strange tag on, the environment texture is washed out, and the characters undeveloped.

It just seems like a Fallout 4 Technology Demo. The whole time I was playing its short campaign I was thinking - so that is what Skyrim and Fallout 4 is going to look like.

The game raised my expectation for Skyrim and Fallout 4 more than it impressed me on its own merits.
  94. Dec 2, 2012
    CONS..........Well lets start with the cons. It seems that a lot of individuals are having problems with the programming of the game. Now I can say that I just recently bought it and beat it AND I HAVE NOT encountered any crashes. None what so ever, the game has been patched and that's it. Minimal glitching if ever, I got my car stuck once in the entire game. If you don't save often, youCONS..........Well lets start with the cons. It seems that a lot of individuals are having problems with the programming of the game. Now I can say that I just recently bought it and beat it AND I HAVE NOT encountered any crashes. None what so ever, the game has been patched and that's it. Minimal glitching if ever, I got my car stuck once in the entire game. If you don't save often, you will pay the price. The hardest setting is underestimated, it is brutally hard, sometimes just getting hit once you will die. I did beat it on nightmare mode, but I saved often and I am a veteran FPS. If your not and think this is going to be some Halo legendary difficulty. You will be wrong, an average soldier needs to be hit at least twice in the head WITH A SNIPER ROUND to kill him. You will never on nightmare difficulty, kill an authority with one bullet. They have what is called a Fat Boy, which is an expensive round and probably one of the most powerful. Still going to take 3 or 4 shots. The story is intriguing, but I wanted a little more information on the history of present and past. The asteroid hits and destroy's mankind and then you start playing. I want to know more of the last 50 years, a little more give would have been nice. Spoiler somewhat here, be aware........The most problematic contusion with the game, is that this game is seemingly supposed to be the start of a franchise. That being so, if the game is not continued into a sequel anytime soon, then the story ending is without a doubt horrible. It is a 20 second ending, that is all they give you.

Pros........ The game is totally atmospheric, and brilliantly designed with the beauty of a grand canyon like symmetry. The graphics are phenomenal, the reason why viewers are upset is that objects you are not looking at will degrade in texture. Usually if your out in a very large opening, by tweaking the graphical settings, this is fixed. On the regular setting it does downgrade textures you are looking at, this because not everyone owns a super computer like myself. Wider audience is what they were shooting for. The enemies intelligence is surprising and cunning. The way they hide and communicate, the true terror of being chased down by a group of mutants. This is without a doubt one of my most adrenaline fueled games I have played recently. The character acting is well done, it is short, John Goodman in the begging, I would have liked to have seen more of him, his style in the initial start is intriguing. The animation is on bar with some of the best games out their, facial appearance of the character is one of best. Only being beat by the likes of Crysis. The races are surprisingly fun and addictive, leveling up your ride with race certificates is fun and rewarding. And you will need a better ride if you chose to survive in the wasteland. You can win money, by participating in Mutant Mash Tv. Each episode of the tv show gets increasingly harder. With the cash from the show, you can upgrade your weapons with better ammo or buy better weaponry. The game does a good job at showing you were to go on the mini map, I would have like an interactive map that blew up on to my screen. But it was efficient, I liked the way of the dotted line points you to where you are supposed to go.

Final thoughts- I am much intrigued with how they fixed the game from it's initial launch. Yet by having inefficiencies during the launch. It has haltered and almost created a cult like negative talk about the game. If players were to play it today, they would not see the same game on launch. It is fixed, but maybe to late. I waited to buy this game, and bought it for $5. Now after paying for it, I would have bought for $40. But their just isn't enough their for a $60 purchase. I recommend it, but not at a premium cost. The game gets a 7.8 out 10 from me.

Review By CD0
  95. Feb 18, 2012
    Rage is a technical master piece. Its perhaps the most advanced game i have played. The visuals will certainly leave an impression on you. It may be a barren, unforgiving wasteland, but it sure is beautiful. This amazing feature comes from id's new ID TECH 5. IT5 is a wonderful benchmark in the video game industry, although that being said, it does have its problems. Upon load up the game,Rage is a technical master piece. Its perhaps the most advanced game i have played. The visuals will certainly leave an impression on you. It may be a barren, unforgiving wasteland, but it sure is beautiful. This amazing feature comes from id's new ID TECH 5. IT5 is a wonderful benchmark in the video game industry, although that being said, it does have its problems. Upon load up the game, I encountered a barrage of texture problems and I heard many others did too. If you can mange to get your drivers to work like I did, then you should be fine for the rest of the game. Every detail in Rage is perfected with astounding accuracy. From the sewers to the streets, Rage pays a close amount of attention to detail. Even the characters will make you stare in awe for a second, even if they don't carry the plot forward. On that subject, the characters play an important role, at least in the first half. The first half of the game is an involving and interesting story. The characters will make you want to find out more about your mysterious awakening. However, after the big turning point, the plot suddenly becomes bland and generic, to the point where I didn't care anymore. In fact there are several pot points that are mentioned, but never carried out. The ending is so abrupt and short that I didn't even realize I had beaten the game, I though it was just a awkward cut-scene. Through out Rage the are a couple Boss battles, which usually involve a colossal sized mutant. Yet, despite all the build up, there isn't even a sign of a boss at the end, which used to be a tradition in id games. Rage offers a sort-of small multiplayer mode, as compared to other id games which focus primarily on that. There are 2 options, A driving mode where you drive around in your customized buggy and snatch up objectives for points. And the Co-Op mode, where you and one friend run through a section and eliminate all AI enemies. The multiplayer is fun, but ultimately didn't last for me. I ended up beating all of the Co-Op missions and got bored of the driving.

Rage is a fun shooter. id software made an impressive comeback in the FPS genre that they created. The environments are gorgeous and the gameplay is superb. Although its plot and character flaws are a real issue, the majority of the game is fun and interesting. I very much look forward to a sequel with improved mechanics.
  96. Feb 12, 2012
    Excellent game, I understand there were some problems around launch time with bad drivers (AMD is usually pretty bad when it comes to new games right?) and I believe also a lack of options in the video settings.

With those problems fixed now, along with other fixes and a few good patches the game is really pretty amazing. Has kept me fully enthralled over the last few days playing both single and multiplayer modes.

Really just a very underrated game here, the gunplay is so satisfying, it makes the gunplay in games like bf3 or mw3 feel 'soggy' if that makes sense. Sort of like the difference between typing on a nice high quality mechanical keyboard VS typing on an old beaten up cheapo dell rubber dome keyboard.

The story was a little lacking, and I would have liked to see a few more rpg-ish elements here and there, but overall it is just a blast, from the shooting to the driving to just being really fully sucked in to the world by the astoundingly good graphics (the sky in particular is really just amazing).
  97. Oct 6, 2011
    outside alot of texture poppins I've had no technical difficultys, not that I think hardware should factor into a game review like so many others apparently do.
    The game looks, sounds and feels amazing if a little narrow and linear the real problem with rage and what will stop it from becoming great is that it's action shooter half is to shallow to stand on it's own and it's rpg elements the same. what this ends up making is an "alright" game. I feel had they opened up the world thrown in a leveling system and another such system for crafting they would have had a masterpiece. As it stands it's on the good side of average.
  98. Oct 4, 2011
    This game has potential. I am not denying this in the least. It throws out amazing ideas and concepts, but just doesn't follow through on them. I'm hoping to see something that expands upon the game soon, but until then, this will be getting a mediocre score. It does, however, look amazing. 6/10.
  99. Oct 14, 2011
    I just finished this game. I found it very fun, like the driving and shooting a lot. Enemies movements and situations when you have to shoot many of them comming fast from averywhere, climbing walls and jumping were extremely fun. The main problem for me that the game was TOO SHORT. Only 2 towns and less than 15 hours of gameplay. The worst part is that it ended with no advice, then a longI just finished this game. I found it very fun, like the driving and shooting a lot. Enemies movements and situations when you have to shoot many of them comming fast from averywhere, climbing walls and jumping were extremely fun. The main problem for me that the game was TOO SHORT. Only 2 towns and less than 15 hours of gameplay. The worst part is that it ended with no advice, then a long credits list and I cannot find a way to go back to continue my game (at leas to complete some achivements or something!) It ends when it ends and you have to start over if you want to continue playing.... Expand
  100. Oct 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game could have been a lot better. The combat parts are enjoyable with some beautifully crafted mission areas. I just finished my first play through on hard and I feel the game is slightly let down though by the strength of the shotgun in the tight corridor areas, which number about 90% of the total mission spaces. You are pretty much golden once you get it. Graphically, as others have said there is an issue when you turn around and the textures are redrawn in detail about half a second too late. The textures themselves are poor when close up, but as you exit the games first room the vista is quite amazing. The brown-ness of the landscape does get a bit boring, as does the first few hours of the game without much story at all other than helping out some guys by being a one man army. The story in general is really bad quality, none of the cast have any appeal or character and there really is no final boss fight to speak of which is just a massive anticlimax, and reeks of a rush job considering some of the early boss fights. All the jobs actually have a decline button, the purpose of which, considering the alternative to doing the quest is doing nothing at all, would seem to be completely superfluous.

The racing side is enjoyable, the cars handle well and the combat/guns are OK, pretty much targeting on their own. The one down side is some later stages of the rally pick-up-point battles where you race towards spawning lights. The lights spawn in a cycle which really makes no sense and rewards (if you are in front) the people behind you, making it often better, although less fun, to just camp one set of points whilst the other three cars collect the remaining lights.

The combination of action/shooting and driving reminded me a lot of GTA 4. Rage really could have done with little things like cut scenes when introducing jobs, rather than taking inspiration from World of Warcraft. Running into the mayorâ

1. PC Games (Russia)
    Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 15, 2011
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. CD-Action
    Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]