5.2

1. Oct 8, 2011
    As an OPEN WORLD game it fails, because its not OPEN. dont let the critics fool you. There are no dialogs, texture glitches everywhere, bad graphical config (no options), and a **** of graphical bugs. (screen tearing , no vsync enabling, etc)

This game is bad, its a bad port and a bad game. Nice graphics (bad texture bugs) , nice music , nice ambient, but hideous gameplay.
  2. Oct 10, 2011
    Well I have patched the game and installed the new ati rage drivers. The game runs great at 60 fps but what is really driving me nuts are the low resolution textures. I have a fairly powerful system but even if I had a lower end system this game would(with patches etc) run fine because of the texture situation. There have been .cfg posts on forums about enabling high resolution texturesWell I have patched the game and installed the new ati rage drivers. The game runs great at 60 fps but what is really driving me nuts are the low resolution textures. I have a fairly powerful system but even if I had a lower end system this game would(with patches etc) run fine because of the texture situation. There have been .cfg posts on forums about enabling high resolution textures but this is false. The .cfg fix doesnt add higher fidelity to the "megatextures" at all. So far the gameplay is ok...nothing great really. What I did like alot was the sound and the music. Well done there. The scenic vistas are good as well but the constant low res textures are Daikatanaish and annoying. This feels too much like a bad port and even with the patch to include new graphics options isnt really worth getting to be honest. Very disappointing considering how much I was looking forward to a GoTY candidate. For the love of god i hope Skyrim doesnt fail like this current Id/Besesda realease Expand
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    hmm i truly don t know where to start, from a buggy beginning to the missing entire world textures to npc that have no life in them i just cant explain how much this game is bad i just don t know i apologize

all i can say is HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN the pc pioneers are now a bunch of old glory self loving money grabbing console sucking ****
  4. Oct 13, 2011
    Pretty much what everyone else said already. It runs horribly, there's no way to change the settings, the second you turn the camera, the engine goes "oh **** I haven't rendered that area yet! Hold on, wait a few seconds...". This would be tolerable if the game play held up, but it so does not; the AI is dumb as bricks, and easy to kill, and in between you have some dull, tired drivingPretty much what everyone else said already. It runs horribly, there's no way to change the settings, the second you turn the camera, the engine goes "oh **** I haven't rendered that area yet! Hold on, wait a few seconds...". This would be tolerable if the game play held up, but it so does not; the AI is dumb as bricks, and easy to kill, and in between you have some dull, tired driving sections with clunky controls, and physics from some alternate universe. Even Doom 3 is better than this. Don't waste 60 bucks, or 6 bucks for that matter on this piece of crap. If you must get it, pirate it and wait for some god mods to come out. Expand
  5. Oct 14, 2011
    most disappointing game ever played, port-ass, low quality textures and poorly optimized, ultimately disappointing not buy it, you lose money on this game .. and is an insult to PC gamers.
  6. Oct 22, 2011
    This game is a good example what pursuit of money does to a developer. Welcome to the buggiest wasteland experience of all times! Your gaming experience will be cut short due to CrashToDesktops happening every once in a while. Textures are so low-res that they look like turd and "Megatexture" is just a buzzword. Nothing is so special about idTech5 engine. Graphics are so aged and gameplayThis game is a good example what pursuit of money does to a developer. Welcome to the buggiest wasteland experience of all times! Your gaming experience will be cut short due to CrashToDesktops happening every once in a while. Textures are so low-res that they look like turd and "Megatexture" is just a buzzword. Nothing is so special about idTech5 engine. Graphics are so aged and gameplay is dull. Avoid this crap on PC at all costs and save your money for better games. Once legend Carmack has lost his soul. I bet he preordered MW3 for his Xbox360 as well. Good for him, none of his titles will be on my PC anymore. Expand
  7. Dec 15, 2011
    The graphics are great but the plot is dull, the driving bit of the game isn't fun, the ending is awful, the shooter part of the game is unimaginitive, its very linear, the multiplayer is apalling, there's little replay value...I could go on but you get the idea and the game does really feel like a bit of a tech demo.
  8. Dec 25, 2011
    Vastly underrated, this game recieved the hate it did only because of "raging" PC gamers and their incredible sense of entitlement. I am a PC gamer myself, and I feel ashamed to be part of a community that hates a perfectly good game such as this.

The common complaints are the performance, lack of delivery for the promise of "open ended" gameplay, and numerous bugs. For one thing, buy

For one thing, buy and play this game now. For one thing, it no longer lags and it looks absolutely stunning. There are no longer ANY performance issues, and the graphics look even better than Battlefield 3. Serious Sam 3, Saints Row The Third, and Skyrim are games that tote nice graphics or DX11 options, but run poorly or have uneven performance due to bad optimization... Battlefield 3 runs on high for me with great performance, however with my 6850 HD graphics card. But that's not the point, the point is that id listened to our complaints as PC gamers and they delivered fixes. Drivers have been released that have long fixed the performance problems. This is no longer an issue.

Open world games are overrated in my opinion. I don't get that sense of "scale" or "sandbox gameplay" that other gamers obsess over.. To me, I prefer games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, that OFFER multiple paths but are still linear with a clear goal in front of me. Sometimes, linear is better simply because it is comforting and offers a clear routine or path. There is nothing wrong with open ended gameplay, but id is masterful at creating corridor shooters, NOT open world games. Expecting Rage to be anything more is utter nonsense, regardless of what John Carmack promised. I think he only promised from HIS perspective of what "open ended" means... not OUR ridiculous standards as spoiled gamers these days.

The bugs are also mostly gone. People need to take back their poor reviews this instant, it doesn't deserve a score this low. To me, this game deserves at least a 8, or a 9. It's amazing, immersive, fun, and not one bit "boring" as anyone claims. This game being "boring" is just **** from spoiled gamers who expect far too much from gaming... it's time to finally relax, immerse yourself, and ENJOY this game, especially with the lower price.

However, if you want something truly open ended or "masterful", go obsess over Skyrim and don't go play underrated open ended games like Rage or Deus Ex Human Revolution. Don't get me wrong, Skyrim is a great game, but it's a perfect example of sloppy PC optimization... again. Even RAGE fixed these performance issues by now!!

Now, I'll take my leave, I hope you all take something from my review, and reconsider Rage for your game library!
  9. Jul 31, 2012
    Not pretty, not engaging, combat is ho-hum, just really nothing to say is "good" in this game. Borderlands minus the fun. Happy I bought it on a deep discount or I would have been more RAGING at this wasted game.
  10. Oct 18, 2011
    We, PC gamers did nothing wrong! We didn't deserve this disgrace! And We are not genetically vile people, who can be feed with these kind of products!
    This product could have been a mediocre game IF the programming were at least average. Now it's one of the biggest disappointments in the last 10 years.
  11. Oct 18, 2011
    I have to ask myself while i play this game, does ID remember it made Doom? Because at the end after you go through a pretty decent shooting fest, theres no boss. NO smiggin boss at the end of an ID game!
  12. Oct 20, 2011
    Gee, I'd love to actually review the game, but it doesn't even start. The screen goes black when I launch the game, then it crashes to the desktop. I bought/installed the game yesterday (19 Oct 2011), I figured they would have released some kind of patch by now. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with a quad Xeon 2.66GHz (Nehalem architecture), Radeon 5870 with 1GB vRAM, and 16GB of RAM.
  13. Nov 5, 2011
    had some screen rendering trouble at first but was able to fix with ati's rage performance driver fix, i recommend giving this game a second chance if you shelved it earlier, it's grown on me and I'd have to say it's my favorite iD game so far, world and characters are rendered beautifully and both FPS and car combat tasks are fun :o)
  14. Dec 26, 2011
    After 9 hours of playing RAGE: looks really good, guns feel good, and the driving feels good. I really don't care for the story so I enjoyed most of it. However, movement paths are restricted with lots of invisible walls and doors you can't open. The jump button is rarely used for navigation because you cant jump over the damn 3 ft. rail or counter or table or anything really.After 9 hours of playing RAGE: looks really good, guns feel good, and the driving feels good. I really don't care for the story so I enjoyed most of it. However, movement paths are restricted with lots of invisible walls and doors you can't open. The jump button is rarely used for navigation because you cant jump over the damn 3 ft. rail or counter or table or anything really.

Configuration options are embarrassingly limited for a PC game. You're stuck with only 4 or 5 video options, and most of the useful console variables are locked (including mouse smoothing/ acceleration, the god awful head bobbing, and the massive amounts of bloom rape). The only useful variables left are fov adjustment (wtf, should be available in graphical config) and one that skips the intro videos.

Overall, I think the game was exceptionally "okay."
  15. Feb 15, 2012
    This game is overall an average and I for once agree with the professional reviewers - if you set aside huge expectations that ID has built up prior to release (and i am one of those who fell for the hype and paid full pre-release price) then it is ok and even fun at times. It is a game that tried to be something much bigger than it is and at that it failed. It combines too much and thoseThis game is overall an average and I for once agree with the professional reviewers - if you set aside huge expectations that ID has built up prior to release (and i am one of those who fell for the hype and paid full pre-release price) then it is ok and even fun at times. It is a game that tried to be something much bigger than it is and at that it failed. It combines too much and those things don't feel as one complete game world.

I liked the care and details with which the levels were designed. Invisible barriers make you feel you play Doom 3 with some kind of glitch making walls invisible. In fact, one area is totally Doom 3-like - not even sure what all that blood and some alien outgrowth on the walls have to do with the Rage story.

Graphics quality leaves a mixed feeling due to very low resolution of close-ups - especially in darker areas. Other than that games looks very good and I do get great performanc eon 560TI. The weapons and the fight mechanics are very nice but some missions are too easy and boring. Story, is ok for a shooter but definetely lacks for an RPG. All the build/buy/sell activities feel boring and unnecessary. Driving is done pretty well but again, unnecessary. Minigames add pretty nice spice to the whole package and are done very well.

As far as bugs etc. I had no real issues with the game. However, I played it after the initial patches.

My biggest personal problem with it is the ending. Not to make this a spoiler, but for those who played the game - what was the purpose of BFG again?
  16. Oct 23, 2011
    DONT WASTE your money

DONT WASTE your money

Game is full of bugs and well I have trying to get it fixed for quit some time. If company sells you a 50 euro product you may expect that it works. This does not and after spending hours of fixes I have given up. ALL THE RAVE REVIEWS are nice for the user for who the game works. For me and a lot of other people it does not. A zero is the only number which this fawlty product deserves. Dont believe me? read what the lead designer says

On Saturday a massive patch landed for Rage, eagerly awaited by players struggling with blurry, popping textures, low framerates, psychedelic artefacts and more. The mess of a PC launch has been so severe that John Carmack referred to it as â
  17. May 10, 2012
    OK so it's a lot like Borderlands. Yes, that may be true but what it doesn't share with Borderlands are the boring, repetitive missions, redundant and overly diverse weapons and lack of fun. Rage is a fun adventure FPS with driving elements that are reminiscent of Carmageddon and the Twisted Metal series. Rage succeeds in creating a credible environment with interesting charactersOK so it's a lot like Borderlands. Yes, that may be true but what it doesn't share with Borderlands are the boring, repetitive missions, redundant and overly diverse weapons and lack of fun. Rage is a fun adventure FPS with driving elements that are reminiscent of Carmageddon and the Twisted Metal series. Rage succeeds in creating a credible environment with interesting characters (great voice-over work although your character doesn't speak) and an engaging storyline. Everything looks beautiful and runs smoothly. The store system is very simple and is great for the engineering aspect of the game. It does lacks any real upgrading abilities though in terms of the weapons. The biggest problems with the game are that it is too short and most missions are similar. The racing circuit is very easy aside from the latter races that can be a bit challenging but there isn't many of them in general. There were far too many closed doors and the enemies would regenerate right after the areas had been visited. The ending was WAY too easy especially with the BFG. I had no issues with full video settings. I did have some sound issues at times though. It's not a perfect game but it is a fun one with some great visuals and story. The gameplay is challenging and exciting. Overall it needed a bit more. Also, I have absolutely no idea why this game is called "Rage" when there is no actual raging. Weird. Expand
  18. Apr 5, 2012
    Rage is, to say the least, a disappointing game. From what we've come to expect from iD this game is horrible when it comes to the quality we're used to. That being said Rage isn't a terrible game, merely a mediocre one. It's fun enough to play through if you bought it on sale but certainly not a full price game. Can't say I dig the new engine and their use of "streaming" textures orRage is, to say the least, a disappointing game. From what we've come to expect from iD this game is horrible when it comes to the quality we're used to. That being said Rage isn't a terrible game, merely a mediocre one. It's fun enough to play through if you bought it on sale but certainly not a full price game. Can't say I dig the new engine and their use of "streaming" textures or whatever it is. Still, I had fun shooting up stuff in the game and driving is pretty ok. Nothing horribly wrong with this game, but nothing to brag about either. Expand
  19. Dec 11, 2011
    First of all, I'd like to point out that I have not finished the story yet as I've not got much time for gaming lately, but have been spending considerable hours with the game.

When the game first launched, I read about all those texture popping issues, and then there was issues with people with AMD GPUs not being able to play the game due to lack ( which IMO is caused by technonoobs that tried to max the game with a crappy HD5570 2GB ddr3) .

The former issue was OK and didn't hinder gameplay and was just annoying, mostly fixed with the 1st update, yet still occurs slightly in some areas, but the latter problem regarding AMD GPUs......Im a bit skeptical as I myself is a proud owner of a Radeon 6950 GPU and is currently playing the game at50fps++ with 8*MSAA.

Graphics are great, would look better if the colors are more intensive,
    characters are ok, story ( so far) is meeting my expectations and gameplay elements are not bad, the only problem I have now is with it's annoying saving system that doesn't auto save or not allow you to save between 2 intervals in some areas/missions which is a bit annoying if you die.
  20. Oct 30, 2011
    $60 for a short game with a very poor multiplayer car combat racing game stapled on to the end of the game. Multiple performance issues with ATI cards, and even a few performance issues with nVidia cards. Basically, this is a game made to look pretty and show off their id Tech 5 engine, and that's about all of it. The graphics are ok at a distance, but close inspection of textures$60 for a short game with a very poor multiplayer car combat racing game stapled on to the end of the game. Multiple performance issues with ATI cards, and even a few performance issues with nVidia cards. Basically, this is a game made to look pretty and show off their id Tech 5 engine, and that's about all of it. The graphics are ok at a distance, but close inspection of textures reveals how grainy they are. The characters have some unique animations and the shooting aspects of the game seem fine, but the missions themselves are uninspired.

On the plus side, a few of the characters are kinda cool, and you get to hear John Goodman talk for a few minutes (What is it with Bethesda and spending money on high dollar voice actors just to have a few lines at the start of the game and then forget about them later?).

It's unfair to give this game a 0 or a 1, but it's likewise not right to give it a 7 or higher. Wait for the price to drop before you buy this, or rent it for one of the consoles. Don't waste your money on a $60 10 hour game. I've had more fun playing a low budget indie game for $10 than I did with Rage.

With any luck a really talented game developer can take their engine and make a good game out of it, or maybe they'll make some mods for it?
  21. Oct 28, 2011
    Many years ago, id software made Quake and Doom very very good game. But now... What it is? It is so bad shooter. Very short single, bad coop and boring multiplayer! Very bad, id software, very bad!
  22. Oct 20, 2011
    The PC version is spoilt (still) by texture fill problems on lower end systems, although the first patch helped with it somewhat. Unless it is my video card I find the quality of some of the textures to be poor, especially the parts of the city. I also find the game locking randomly, although it has never crashed.

The FPS part of the game is largely excellent. What lets it down are the

The FPS part of the game is largely excellent. What lets it down are the driving parts and the rather hotch potch characters. The races are simplistic arcade affairs. Roaming around from area to area is monotonous, only broken by the equally monotonous encounters with the bandits. The characters themselves are not that engaging and their speech is ruined by quite horrendous lip sync. There are sound issues too, with some of the music stopping prematurely and the implementation of 5.1 sound seems to be at odds with every other game I've ever played with 5.1 sound.

All that saves the game is the FPS part, but even here there are problems - some of the monsters are just plain dumb with literally two moves to their name. It was bad enough in 2001 but in 2011 there is no excuse. Shame because what is good about the FPS is actually really good and I have had some proper Doom style moments where you are literally scrabbling with your weapons whilst being swamped with impressively agile and well animated enemies.

The icing on the cake? The fact its essentially dumbed down for console gamers and it shows. 5 is the best mark I could give to a game I have waited patiently for since I saw the first trailer. I am disappointed the graphics are stunted by the need to make them work on a 6 year old console and the fact you feel like you are just retreading ground just to extend a storyline is plain lazy. From the so-called fathers of FPS I expected more.
  23. Oct 24, 2011
    Rage is OK. Not great and certainly not what I had expected. I told the clerk at the store where I Pre-bought Rage that I usually don't pre-buy games. However with Rage being made by id Software I told the clerk "that's a company I trust to make an excellent PC game" so I pre-bought the game. The graphics have been advertised as "jaw dropping". My jaw dropped alright but only when IRage is OK. Not great and certainly not what I had expected. I told the clerk at the store where I Pre-bought Rage that I usually don't pre-buy games. However with Rage being made by id Software I told the clerk "that's a company I trust to make an excellent PC game" so I pre-bought the game. The graphics have been advertised as "jaw dropping". My jaw dropped alright but only when I realized I was stuck with low resolution graphics. To be fair some parts of the game like peoples faces looked like they were in higher detail but most of the back ground including a persons clothing outfit up close was low blurry detail. No Direct X 11?? Why?? No SLi?? Why?? While I'm at it, no PhysX?? I have 2 Nvidia GTX 460's in SLi in my computer. However Rage only uses one card and rarely pushes it past 80% load. My computer has since release had little trouble running this game. I've only had the game crash once. The textures do take longer to draw than any other games I've ever played on my PC. Considering the level of detail in them its hard to understand why it takes so long to draw. The reviewers who suggest this game has amazing graphics or the best graphics they've ever seen, I'm certain would really be impressed with some older games I've played with better graphics than Rage. The game is pretty easy. Even on the hardest setting it's not a hard game to play and win. I don't think I ever got through Doom 3 on nightmare but it was fun trying it and I didn't expect to anyway. Rage overall feels like the start of a good idea that never got finished. Expand
  24. Oct 25, 2011
    I read about the problems with this game at launch and decided to wait a couple of weeks for them to sort all the bugs and kinks out. I wasn't really worried to begin with as my BRAND NEW GAME CRUSHING PC THAT FAR SURPASSED THE RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS would probably be able to deal with it anyway.
    I installed and got a horribly broken and unplayable game.
    I tried every version of drivers
    I installed and got a horribly broken and unplayable game.
    I tried every version of drivers known to man.....nadda.
    I tried every combination of custom config files and.... nothing
    I tried getting help from the developers.....no response.
    Then I read that Carmack says "not developing for PC was a mistake"
    and that he called the whole PC release a "cluster-fuck"
    and now a month after the fact and nothing has been fixed, and iD is stone silent.

WOW iD **** the bed on this one and i'll never buy one of there games ever again.
  25. Oct 25, 2011
    This isn't the first game to come out that has serious code issues as I had serious game crashing issues with Dues Ex: Human Revolution. However, Eidos Montreal issued patches within the first two weeks that fixed the majority of issues with the PC version of the game. There was no screen tearing in Dues Ex: Human Revolution that has made this Rage horrible from the start. Id has issuedThis isn't the first game to come out that has serious code issues as I had serious game crashing issues with Dues Ex: Human Revolution. However, Eidos Montreal issued patches within the first two weeks that fixed the majority of issues with the PC version of the game. There was no screen tearing in Dues Ex: Human Revolution that has made this Rage horrible from the start. Id has issued a single patch for the last three weeks and then blamed the video card manufacturers for driver issues. Here is why that makes no sense, if the game was given the most effort for consoles which were having graphics issues as well. Then you would have used older drivers on video cards that are not of the line, as consoles are no where near the speeds of a top of the line PC. Expand
  26. Oct 25, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!!1
    What can I say......
    my computer far exceeded what the devs called for. I pre purchased this game based only on the legacy of iD games, and that was a 60$ mistake. Game is broken beyond repair, (as constant config file tweaks, 3 new sets of drivers and a massive patch have failed to fix anything) This trend of release it now and worry about it later has been taken
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!!1
    What can I say......
    my computer far exceeded what the devs called for.
    This trend of release it now and worry about it later has been taken to a new extreme by iD and Bethesda.
    This was the game that finally drove me to go buy an x-box after 20 years of PC gaming (which ironically started with Doom)
    Shame on you iD .
    People like me work hard for there money , expect a game (whether the game is good or bad) to at least be able to load up a month after launch.
  27. Nov 25, 2011
    I am a big fan of Bethesda, so this game was a bit of a disappointment. Instead of an open world, it is quite linear. It still is some fun, but not compared to other games out there. If you want to skip the driving, go with Fallout New Vagas. Want vehicles? Borderlands. Don't bother with this one.
  28. Dec 27, 2011
    Its basically Borderlands. Ran into no issues really. I am unsure of all the poor rates, but with everyone reviewing on the same day makes me believe they rated it out of the box before letting the dust settle. Game has been out now for awhile, I am not seeing any of the bugs everyone is reporting or any issues. If you love Borderlands and would like a twist, pick this game up at a goodIts basically Borderlands. Ran into no issues really. I am unsure of all the poor rates, but with everyone reviewing on the same day makes me believe they rated it out of the box before letting the dust settle. Game has been out now for awhile, I am not seeing any of the bugs everyone is reporting or any issues. If you love Borderlands and would like a twist, pick this game up at a good price. Got it on steam for $20. I recommend it, as long as its below $20. Expand
  29. Dec 9, 2011
    I have an average gaming pc and the game ran flawlessly except for one anamoly when it first started. The screen was filled with multicolored triangles. I rebooted and I completed the game without a single problem. The ending was a disappointment, however. I have no idea what I accomplished. No feedback from the game in the form of a verbal or written epilogue or even a discussionI have an average gaming pc and the game ran flawlessly except for one anamoly when it first started. The screen was filled with multicolored triangles. I rebooted and I completed the game without a single problem. The ending was a disappointment, however. I have no idea what I accomplished. No feedback from the game in the form of a verbal or written epilogue or even a discussion with the captain. Other than that, and that is significant in my opinion, the game was an enjoyable shooter. A side bar: The driving portions of the game are an utter pain in the ass with a mouse/keyboard. Once I hooked up an xbox controller it was considerably more fun. Expand
  30. Jan 6, 2012
    I bought this game weeks after it came out and I didn't have any of the issues other people had. Actually, the game is quite pretty. The texture fill in, or pop in, or whatever people want to call it sucks, but it didn't really bug me. However, the crap quality of the textures when you get close to things is worse. But for me, the real problem was: This game got boring fast. Really boring.I bought this game weeks after it came out and I didn't have any of the issues other people had. Actually, the game is quite pretty. The texture fill in, or pop in, or whatever people want to call it sucks, but it didn't really bug me. However, the crap quality of the textures when you get close to things is worse. But for me, the real problem was: This game got boring fast. Really boring. Really fast. I got half way and just started trying desperately to finish it. It's a major rail shooter. You visit every place pretty much twice. I don't know what to say other than buy it on sale. It's worth seeing the amazing visuals - unfortunately, Borderlands will stand head and shoulders above this game, simply because it came first, and was more interesting, story wise. Expand
  31. Jan 7, 2012
    A nice shooter with some rally races. Nice but nothing special. The Graphic's are not so good as promoted.
    I played it with a ATI Card and this doesn't work really... Hard graphic issues, but now i have an 560TI from nvidia and that works great.
  32. Mar 28, 2012
    Rage features an incredible new game engine married to an uninspired implementation that resolutely ignores many important revolutions in fps gameplay. //First, the potential for the new engine, id Tech5, is amazing. Graphically, the world of Rage is ultra-realistic, and stands toe-to-toe with Crytek's engines that drive the Crysis titles. Also, Rage's enemies behave in unique andRage features an incredible new game engine married to an uninspired implementation that resolutely ignores many important revolutions in fps gameplay. //First, the potential for the new engine, id Tech5, is amazing. Graphically, the world of Rage is ultra-realistic, and stands toe-to-toe with Crytek's engines that drive the Crysis titles. Also, Rage's enemies behave in unique and intelligent ways: foes advance on your position while utilizing covering fire, or swing from rafters with acrobatic agility. Finally, the physics of Rage allow for a plethora of death animations depending on your weapon choice and targeting. All of this adequately demonstrates what the engine can achieve and might still accomplish in future games. //Rage's particular implementation of the new game engine, on the other hand, is not so impressive. id ignores a decade of gameplay advances spurred by the Half-Life franchise and the first Crysis. Levels are not only linear in progression, they are essentially one-dimensional in a physical sense, too. Most are simple hallways lined with obstacles on either side that prevent the player from choosing alternate routes through the dungeon. Even the jump ability is virtually useless, since the player rarely can jump on or over boxes, fences, or other objects, drastically reducing any sense of realistic interaction with the environment. In this way, Rage is a big step backward even from the original Doom games. What was id thinking? //Rage is id's first real attempt at writing a storyline that structures gameplay, and here, too, it falls short. Non-player characters are wooden caricatures, and the story offers no possibility for meaningful relationships or allegiances. Dialogue is unimaginative, stereotyped, and predictable. As others have remarked, the characters in the story never rise above their basic roles as facilitators for new missions. //The missions themselves are mostly unrelated jaunts into different areas of the Rage world without an overarching purpose that motivates your endeavors. Rather, your character feels like a mercenary for hire, willing to work for anyone and everyone for the right price. Over the course of these missions, major questions are never answered (I'd say this is a spoiler, except that there's hardly any story to spoil): Who is the "authority"? What do they want? Who is the "resistance"? Why should you work for them? What happened after the asteroid decimated the earth? Why do you have nanobots in your body that quickly heal your wounds? id vastly underestimates its audience if it assumes players will be satisfied by such a thread-bare story. //I suspect Rage was created mostly as a demonstration of the id Tech 5's capabilities so that id can license the game engine to other software developers. The game itself is an uninspired hodgepodge of simplistic scenarios that might have been developed as six or seven different games had id wanted to create an encompassing gaming experience. While I understand id needs to license its new engine for business purposes, there must be other ways to communicate the engine's potential without subjecting players to such underwhelming gameplay and story. Expand
  33. Apr 1, 2012
    A game that tries too hard to be "Fallout 3 meets Borderlands" falls short on both accounts. The game is absolutely gorgeous, but that doesn't do much to save it from its short single-player experience and uninspired plot. I really tried to like this one, but in the end, I was seriously underwhelmed.
  34. Aug 15, 2012
    It saddens me to say that id has fallen off the throne as the FPS king. Rage felt like a hodge-podge mix of multiple games, such as racing, adventure/RPG, casual and shooter. With the exception of shooter, the other types of games were below average and felt like tedious wastes of time once the novelty has worn off. It's quite unfortunate, since the FPS aspects were absolutelyIt saddens me to say that id has fallen off the throne as the FPS king. Rage felt like a hodge-podge mix of multiple games, such as racing, adventure/RPG, casual and shooter. With the exception of shooter, the other types of games were below average and felt like tedious wastes of time once the novelty has worn off. It's quite unfortunate, since the FPS aspects were absolutely fantastic! A plethora of weapons and utilities, amazing animations and visceral combat easily made the FPS portion of Rage a must-play for FPS fans. While I was sorely disappointed by this anticipated release, I definitely recommend you grab it in a sale. Expand
  35. Jun 13, 2012
    This game was far too easy for me. I am not a FPS player, but I set games as hard as I can to see how I do. Even on insane I walked through this game with no problem. Otherwise the game is great, very few bugs that I noticed decent graphics and fun mini-games left me with an overall positive impression.
  36. Jul 22, 2012
    Meh, don't really get all the hate. I had a friggen blast playing this on a rig that's mostly several years old with the one newish piece being more of a sidegrade than an actual upgrade considering I replaced what was a top of the line video card when I bought it with what's currently a middle of the road card at best. Game looks great, actually takes advantage of the PC-centric tons ofMeh, don't really get all the hate. I had a friggen blast playing this on a rig that's mostly several years old with the one newish piece being more of a sidegrade than an actual upgrade considering I replaced what was a top of the line video card when I bought it with what's currently a middle of the road card at best. Game looks great, actually takes advantage of the PC-centric tons of guns load out as opposed to what's become the norm of 3 - 4 weapons just to better suit controllers, the racing is fun, the setting is great, and I've just generally had a good time. User ratings on meta-critic are pretty much useless any way. ME 3 has a **** score based almost entirely on the ending, the games has a **** score based largely on glitches that have been resolved, etc, etc, etc. User ratings essentially break down into fans taking issue with one particular thing as opposed to judging the game in it's entirety. Expand
  37. Feb 5, 2013
    Got this game on sale for $10 and i'm am no way regretting it.. I can see and understand why everyone hates this game so much, cause the engine needs alot of giddy-up, even my PC ain't exactly capable of running the game at 100% fine. I like the weaponry collection it has and the gameplay is cool, being out in the middle of nowhere with just some folks and doing missions along the way asGot this game on sale for $10 and i'm am no way regretting it.. I can see and understand why everyone hates this game so much, cause the engine needs alot of giddy-up, even my PC ain't exactly capable of running the game at 100% fine. I like the weaponry collection it has and the gameplay is cool, being out in the middle of nowhere with just some folks and doing missions along the way as you go, you meet more people and earn more money by bidding or doing a race and finishing as first (for an example) the card game called rage frenzy is ok every now and then but I concentrate on the missions. I see collecting books, cards, and bottles and junk to be more of an optional thing but I have come across 30 cards so far and i am in the 3rd town.. The three missions towards the end of the second town was the best so far IMO, I love killing the convoy more than the raiders sometimes cause I have a feeling some are overpowered but then again KEEP IN MIND it counts where exactly you hit the enemy, not how many times you shoot the enemy. The machine gun on the vehicle is a real huge help (has auto aiming) and when you break down you can call for help or just drive back to nearest town and repair it for a nice cheap price. I like how the GFX look, at first I thought it was kinda dumb but now I think its more of a fun way of driving it towards realistic but sometimes when I walk into new areas the ground, walls, items, aumo, etc. look fuzzy or really super blurry, I walked into this one building and got up to the next floor and everything was blur, it got stuck like this for about a half a minute but i was still able to walk around just fine without any lag, however there are times when I turn my head and my screen just freezes for a quick second or so. When going to the missions, you will sometimes use the same route over and over, this can get kind of boring and killing the same raiders you just killed in a previous mission but its all the fun in the game but could still use a different approach every other time. This game kind of makes me think of Metro 2033, the way the gameplay is, there both a apocalyptic game and both have limits like you can't go through certain holes or jump on top of walls or such, there both small games and both are FPS.. However I'm no way saying the games are the same cause they most certainly are not the same, they differ in so many ways. I'm gonna have to give this game a 10 Expand
  38. Jan 16, 2013
    What a great game. After looking at all of these negative reviews I have to wonder if the game has been massively patched since its release. I decided to purchase game on a steam sale for $5 and am so glad I did. The combat is intense and satisfying. The characters are engaging. The racing combat is fun. The upgrades to all of your weapons and vehicles is sweet. The engineering aspect isWhat a great game. After looking at all of these negative reviews I have to wonder if the game has been massively patched since its release. I decided to purchase game on a steam sale for $5 and am so glad I did. The combat is intense and satisfying. The characters are engaging. The racing combat is fun. The upgrades to all of your weapons and vehicles is sweet. The engineering aspect is super cool. And again the gameplay is FLAWLESS. Either there is some sort of massive conspiracy going on or this game has been heavily patched since its initial release. There is no question that you should buy this game. I really feel that John Carmack and his team got $crewed with all this negative press. This has been one of the most fun games I have played in years. BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!! I am giving this game a 10 (even though no game really is perfect) because of all of the lopsided reviews giving this game a freeking 1! Which is ludicrous. Expand
  39. CJR
    Jan 5, 2013
    Technical issues aside, This game is a very well executed shooter with an artistically designed over world and linear run and gun missions. This game has presented us gamers with a world with great potential, this game will leave you wanting more, and enthusiastic for a sequel.

The action is not highly realistic, some enemies will keep running at you even when you pump a shotgun load into their heads, but that is how the guys at id have done it for years with their shooters, once you get over that little bit of un-realism, you will kinda get what it's about.

There missions are basically go and retrieve something or rescue someone, and you kill lots of bad guys along the way, I find that fund in the environments presented in this title, The weapons and their upgrades are good, no need for any kind of grinding or absurd amounts of effort to achieve them and they are rewarding. Vehicle action in Rage is surprisingly well pulled off for a software house that mostly only ever did shooters, it is fun to race around and blow up bandits and race for upgrades. For the mix of linear run and gun and a vehicular oriented over-world there is a huge scope of achievement in rage technically and for a video game that delivers as much play time as it does is nice these days. It's not a futuristic skyrim, there are RPG elements only, like making items from supplies, upgrading armour and weapons, but it ends there, just some rewards to keep you playing and offer choices on how you slay enemies.

Graphically flawless o the right hardware, No show stopping bugs and a well rounded title with at least 10 hours of play. Replayability is good too.

There are a lot of negative reviews complaining about a lack of graphical options and bugs etc, but alot of that has been solved now through updates and new driver updates on the part of both nvidia and ATI. Everyone had this idea in their head that id software is a huge software company with infinite fund to test their titles on every combination of hardware, but this was primarily a console title, which we as the public were lucky enough to get a pc version. id usually does fix most bugs in their releases and rage should be no different.

A year later, this title is great on decent hardware, if you have a mid range PC and are not comfortable with doing some research on pc game tweaks on the internet I would recommend this title on a console rather than PC. If you invest the time though, this is a very graphically impressive title with some minor config file tweaks.

A great FPS and Vehicle game with RPG elements with plenty of fun and story content.
  40. Aug 19, 2014
    The technical showcase of the IdTech 5 engine, and a solid FPS game in its own right.

The premise of the game is pretty well set up. You survived an apocalyptic asteroid impact and emerge from your cocoon into a world radically changed by this event. Now I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction, so this review may come across as slightly biased. The storyline in and of itself is

The storyline in and of itself is fairly good, well written, with some memorable characters. But it's not by any means genre-defining.

The graphics are the main draw of RAGE. Featuring IDTech 5, it introduces a new rendering concept called "Megatexturing", in which instead of a multitude of textures comprising a game world, the world of RAGE is rendered with one massive texture over everything in the environment. An ambitious method, for sure.

However, this technique is still very new, so there are a lot of quirks in the game such as texture pop-in and a green tint in dark environments. Not to mention that in order for the game to be able to run decently on most consumer hardware, the textures had to be greatly compressed from their original state, and the effects do show sometimes.

One effect from this compression might be the aforementioned green tint, but also the textures in general may look fairly muddy and blurry, especially on consoles and lower-end hardware on PC.

As Megatextures use a new transcoding method to render objects, SLI and Crossfire are not supported. The game will not even recognize anything beyond one GPU. I'm fairly optimistic that ID Software will address this with future titles though (I can't comment on Wolfenstein: New Order, as I have yet to play it myself on my SLI computer).

But I digress...

The gameplay itself is very solid and quite fun. ID Software is a master of the FPS genre, so as expected, the gunplay is extremely well presented and gives a visceral experience as enemies realistically react to localized damage.

The multiplayer, however, feels a tacked on. But I had a lot of fun with co-op.

I bought the game while it was on sale on Newegg back in late 2011, and I enjoyed the experience quite a bit.
  41. Oct 7, 2011
    Rage is almost a copy of Borderlands in many aspects, the wasteland look is equal (Fallout is set in wasteland theme and it's way different from these 2 titles), the HUD is similiar and even the font is the same. The plot is just "ok", and by the way, even the NPC style remember some of the Borderlands NPCs...
    Summarizing, the game doesn't bring any new or cool aspect, maybe the forging
    Summarizing, the game doesn't bring any new or cool aspect, maybe the forging system, but it is just nice, not something we never seen before.

Also, I never said a word about the graphical problems.
    Then the devs don't know why we don't buy PC games anymore, they take us for fools, we don't need to pay to be considered fools, seriously.
  42. Oct 8, 2011
    Never seen such a high profile game get so little support, the amount of effort and tweaks and hacks to get it running are pathetic. And to top it all of it still crashes when ever I pause the game. Great work id.

Even for the little time I did get it to play the texture pop in is really bad to say that is one of the selling points of the game.
  43. Oct 8, 2011
    Where's John Romero when you need him? Despite strong visuals and good sound design, the Rage fails on gameplay side of things so dramatically that there's very little or no reason to play the game. Not to mention how much bugs the Windows version has but those issues are something id Software at least can repair later on. What they cannot repair is outdated 90s game design which isWhere's John Romero when you need him? Despite strong visuals and good sound design, the Rage fails on gameplay side of things so dramatically that there's very little or no reason to play the game. Not to mention how much bugs the Windows version has but those issues are something id Software at least can repair later on. What they cannot repair is outdated 90s game design which is executed very badly. This game is exact opposite of Daikatana where the technology failed to support the too strong design. Rage has too strong technology for so weak design that it cannot support the overall experience in a positive manner. And all that just leaves very bad after taste in mouth. Solution is firing Tim Willits (or moving him to be just a map designer which is what he does best) and hiring somebody who can not only design new kinds of games but also oppose John Carmack when there's a design decisions to be made. id Software, I am disappointed in you. Expand
  44. Oct 6, 2011
    I signed up to Metacritic just to write this... This is how badly this game was ported to the PC. Sure it works okay for some, but heaven forbid you have an AMD/ATI video card. From Tuesday to today, (Thurs 10/06) I have spent over two hours reading forums, creating cache folders, writing config files, and changing steam launch options just so I could tolerate looking at this game.I signed up to Metacritic just to write this... This is how badly this game was ported to the PC. Sure it works okay for some, but heaven forbid you have an AMD/ATI video card. From Tuesday to today, (Thurs 10/06) I have spent over two hours reading forums, creating cache folders, writing config files, and changing steam launch options just so I could tolerate looking at this game. Finally, finally after all that toil I was able to play it and the texture pop-in was tolerable, still there but TOLERABLE. I still had issues with spastic, flickering npcs but I was able to work with it, but then something else started to happen. I was going about my merry way furthering the "story" along when I tried to zone or load into a new area. After 2 minutes of staring at a loading screen I alt-tabbed to find the came had crashed on me. I tried again and it was fine. Later the same thing happened, except it took 3 tries to load in an area I had actually been to before. Then came the horribleness of the BashTV segment. You see, before when the game crashed, it at least had the decency to save my game before crashing and burning, so that when I reloaded I was right where I left off. Not with BashTV, I had to redo the whole segment five flippin' times (5 - 10 minutes each time) before I successfully loaded out of that nightmare. Now I'm at another point in the game were I've tried to enter an area atleast a dozen times and as of this posting are still not able to enter, despite numerous attempted fixes (dropping resolution, windowed mode, no AA). This product has got to be the worse PC port I've ever played; New Vegas didn't give me this much trouble. It also doesn't help that all I hear from the developers is to make sure I have my drivers updated. I did it and it doesn't help. I think the worst part about this whole situation is that I kind of like the game that is underneath all of this manure; that's why I gave this a one instead of zero.

There's this one point early in the game where you're on the way to some radio tower, and you can go into this cave underneath a shack. The only thing in this cave is a hole in the ceiling and a bucket full of fecal matter. That is what I think of when I think of this port.
  45. Oct 11, 2011
    Unfortunately another dissapointment from a higlhy expected game, ID has put out a bug ridden game with terrible graphics which is the one thing ID games used to stand out for. The game has been patched to fix some of its early bugs but the game engine is super lame with the most obvious thing missing being dynamic lighting. It really feels like a 2004 game and although the gunplay isUnfortunately another dissapointment from a higlhy expected game, ID has put out a bug ridden game with terrible graphics which is the one thing ID games used to stand out for. The game has been patched to fix some of its early bugs but the game engine is super lame with the most obvious thing missing being dynamic lighting. It really feels like a 2004 game and although the gunplay is okish, this game is just too linear and too "being there done that", that it fails to stand out. There are indie games out there with far too more value for your money and this game is a no-buy for 60 dollars. It might be worth picking up for a tenner during a steam sale but that is all. Another old-school PC developer going down the console path for easy money and letting its fans down big time. Expand
  46. Oct 27, 2011
    Well, Carmack himself did say "We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," - should have seen the end result of Rage from miles away without even playing this excuse of a game. I did wait quite some time before giving Rage a shot - and even then after all the bad user reviews present I had to find a friend who purchased Rage first and give it a spin at his home before I wouldWell, Carmack himself did say "We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," - should have seen the end result of Rage from miles away without even playing this excuse of a game. I did wait quite some time before giving Rage a shot - and even then after all the bad user reviews present I had to find a friend who purchased Rage first and give it a spin at his home before I would give id my hard earned bucks. Glad I did, because id with Carmack's current mentality isn't getting anymore of my dough. I have been a die hard id Software fan since the days of Classic Doom and I still actually play Classic Doom on a frequent basis (jDoom/Doomsday Engine) so I have (or rather, had) no negative bias towards id and Quake 2 still remains my favorite DM proving grounds despite it being a rather painful experience trying to pull together a group of friends to relive some of Quake 2's glory days. I mean if one is going to take gameplay over graphics then may as well go all the way, right? If you want to play a properly good FPS and don't mind the dated graphics - simply look at id's past portfolio. If you want to play a properly good FPS with a properly modern graphics engine - buy Hard Reset. And until Carmack fixes his botched mentality, all I can say about id Software and any future games they have in stall for us is; Avoid. Expand
  47. Oct 10, 2011
    OMG what an unbelievably dull game. Lifeless characters, repetitive, boring quests, and a stupid, unfinished story. The writers probably fell asleep somewhere in the middle of the story. But I guess I should've known that id is not capable of that. And guess what, even the weapons and the fighting are kinda dull. Very dissapointing...
  48. Oct 14, 2011
    So many bugs,missed and horrible textures everywhere,not open world to explore just some linear dungeon and a really boring storyline,.....for a "ground-breaking game" this is not acceptable in my opinion.I've been waiting a long time the game, but now I'm very disappointed
  49. ket
    Oct 7, 2011
    I signed up just to say 2 things; 1: I played this game and couldn't believe how horrendous it is, piss-poor graphics, bugged to hell, you name it. Ignore anyone coming from console versions, you are here because you want to know what the PC VERSION is like, and simply, its atrocious. On a final note if you live in the UK and have been unfortunate enough to buy the PC version of Rage, youI signed up just to say 2 things; 1: I played this game and couldn't believe how horrendous it is, piss-poor graphics, bugged to hell, you name it. Ignore anyone coming from console versions, you are here because you want to know what the PC VERSION is like, and simply, its atrocious. On a final note if you live in the UK and have been unfortunate enough to buy the PC version of Rage, you are COMPLETELY entitled to take the game back for a full refund. Under the sale of goods act it extends to any product being of merchantable quality (in the case of PC games, that means no horrid bugs like the PC vrsion of Rage has), which the PC version of Rage is not. Expand
  50. Oct 7, 2011
    Advice: DO NOT BUY! Wait until this sorry game hits the Bargin Bin! save your $60 and spend it on something else! Look, this game is frustrating: 1. the whole game is full of software bugs; 2. no SLI support; and 3. it's a Darn quest game......I HATE QUEST GAMES!!! the prob w/ this game is you have to do A in order to do B; however in order to do A and B, you have to do C, D, E,Advice: DO NOT BUY! Wait until this sorry game hits the Bargin Bin! save your $60 and spend it on something else! Look, this game is frustrating: 1. the whole game is full of software bugs; 2. no SLI support; and 3. it's a Darn quest game......I HATE QUEST GAMES!!! the prob w/ this game is you have to do A in order to do B; however in order to do A and B, you have to do C, D, E, F,G, H, I......ETC!!! Expand
  51. Oct 21, 2011
    i had high hopes for this game. i didn't really have any technical issues except for texture popping. the framerate was decent. i played the first 2 hours and realized that id should be paying ME for playing this linear, uninspired garbage. john carmack is not greater than the sum of id's parts, and having dispensed w/ many key contributors to the brand this becomes increasingly clear.i had high hopes for this game. i didn't really have any technical issues except for texture popping. the framerate was decent. i played the first 2 hours and realized that id should be paying ME for playing this linear, uninspired garbage. john carmack is not greater than the sum of id's parts, and having dispensed w/ many key contributors to the brand this becomes increasingly clear. instead of paying marketing teams huge sums of money to create "buzz" for the game and "convince" morally bankrupt reviewers to give it a good score to boost sales, they should invest in someone who cares, not only about the products they put their name on, but the customers that will be playing them.
    anyways. the weapons i saw so far seemed crappy and unimaginative. same goes for the few characters and bad guys who now seem more stiff (maybe bethesda's influence)... seriously, a shambler had way more SOUL and fluidity than all of the characters combined. the ATV i drove to my first mission was lame and pointless as was killing the bad guys for no apparent reason.

id has been on a downward slide w/ their last few titles, and if i had my name on this product i'd be quite embarrassed.
  52. Oct 23, 2011
    Carmack should stop making games, pure and simple. He's had a good start with Doom and subsequently the Quake series (up until the 4th installment) but since the Daikatana debacle he's yet to offer something new and different. It's the same old **** packed in ever so slightly different wrapping. I get it, he was a "prodigy" back in the day. Not anymore John. Now you're just old. And youCarmack should stop making games, pure and simple. He's had a good start with Doom and subsequently the Quake series (up until the 4th installment) but since the Daikatana debacle he's yet to offer something new and different. It's the same old **** packed in ever so slightly different wrapping. I get it, he was a "prodigy" back in the day. Not anymore John. Now you're just old. And you have serious problems with narcissism. Get help John.

Note that this is a review of the gameplay, not of the graphics. Personally i've had no crashes no artifacts or anything else that would hinder my progress in any way, so i won't bother with that. I'm all for giving games a second, hell even a third chance when it comes to development. That's the age we live in, everything is for the money, they don't care if the product is ****ty as long as some idiot will pay for it. The design itself should be familiar. It's basically an etch-a-sketch of game mechanisms. You got a little Borderlands (almost everything, sans the RPG and the FUN part), some Burnout, a touch of Guitar Hero, some Yu-Gi-Oh type of card game, and everything else so blatantly plagiarised that i haven't yet seen. I get Carmack is a household name, but what the hell goes on on a man's mind when he just goes ripping off everything he's liked in a game, slaps an ID logo and calls it a day. I got a very decent 40-60fps with an installed update and a bunch of tweaks i don't care to mention. It was very playable. Or it would have been if it wasn't so damn tedious. Everything but the driving is so monotonously boring and repetitive it's mind-numbing. And the "sandbox" feature they boastfully announced? Just a box. There's no map to prove i'm right, but believe me, it's true. The features that John has had experience with, like the FPS gameplay are done well enough. The driving can be fun, but considering that there are bandits roaming the so called "open space" it leaves much to be desired. The character design is nice and well rendered. The boss fights (yes, i said boss fights) are scripted and oh so boring. It seems to me that John's overflowing narcissistic thoughts have made the bossfights just an interactive way for people to see his designs. This is just another of his vanity projects and a very bad one at that. It's not a total wreck, but considering the funds, it's definitely a bad experience. Maybe next time, when people hear the words "Innovative gameplay" and "John Carmack" in the same sentence, they will be inclined to turn towards the next best thing instead of spending 60+ dollars on a picture show.
  53. Oct 16, 2011
    I though Duke was worst game of this year, but no... worst game of the year is Rage!. So buggy... crashing when I want to change resolution, texture popping and more annoying: meshes popping! Why the hell on first frame for example doors are not drawn and I can see what is behind? Gameplay is boring as hell, no dynamic lighting, no physics, no AI (everything is scripted) and worst ofI though Duke was worst game of this year, but no... worst game of the year is Rage!. So buggy... crashing when I want to change resolution, texture popping and more annoying: meshes popping! Why the hell on first frame for example doors are not drawn and I can see what is behind? Gameplay is boring as hell, no dynamic lighting, no physics, no AI (everything is scripted) and worst of all... this game has the one of the worst sound design I've heard this year so far... maybe Carmack was limiting resources and memory for sound, I don't know... Explosions sound like somebody kicking cardboard box, almost no ambient sounds, vehicle sounds are same quality as on Atari ST... 20 years ago, gunshots sounds are cut in the middle and even in cutscenes sound distorted by clipping... Turd of the year! Expand
  54. Oct 13, 2011
    This game looks more like a Tech Demo for their new engine than a proper game. A Tech Demo for Consoles that it - because this PC release is spitting in the face of PC gamers. Let's continue with the actual game.

The story is boring and becomes a hurdle to overcome to be able to get to the shooter part of the game. The RPG elements are thin, bland and generally make you wish you had started up Fallout 3 instead. Throw in a racing part that seems only intended to show us their engine can do racing and this game seems to serve no other purpose but to show potential buyers what you can do with their engine.

Speaking of the engine. Megatextures might very well be the future. The environment looks pretty from far away. Up close however, it is as if we are back to gaming in 2003 where it's ok for the environment to be an indestructible green screen - and smallish objects are barely recognizable.

I forgot the sound. It might have been because my neighbors lawnmower sounds just like the hot rods. Yes it does.

Not quite sure why professional reviewers love this game. (Or say it's mediocre yet give it 90 points). My advice: Wait for the games that others will create with id Tech 5.
  55. Nov 8, 2011
    My initial impression was that of a game sadly lacking in depth. But Rage's saving grace is that it is unapologetically so. I never felt immersed in the story by doing any of the banal errands that essentially make up the storyline. The hyperbolic and macho NPCs offer entrainment only as unwilling parodies on the clichés and caricatures they are based on. The world is so smallMy initial impression was that of a game sadly lacking in depth. But Rage's saving grace is that it is unapologetically so. I never felt immersed in the story by doing any of the banal errands that essentially make up the storyline. The hyperbolic and macho NPCs offer entrainment only as unwilling parodies on the clichés and caricatures they are based on. The world is so small and linear it could make a pocket-calculator feel more caged and estranged than Foucault ever did. I give RAGE a score of 8/10 because none of this matters. This is a shooter devoted solely to the satisfaction of blowing scores of zombies and bad guys to tiny little pieces. Enter a world where ammunition, grenades and high-powered guns are more numerous than hydrogen atoms. Suspense your disbelief and turn off your brain. Devote your attention to the gory and gratuitously pleasing business of visually impressive destruction. The short story with its ridiculously anticlimactic and abrupt end ultimately does not matter. At this point the game has nothing new to offer anyway. Might as well start over. Finally, forget the great atmosphere and intelligence of Fallout 3. Never mind the humor and vivid insanity present in Borderlands. RAGE is wholly centered on the satisfaction of shooting zombies in the head, point blank, with shotguns. Expand
  56. Nov 11, 2011
    Rage is kind of like 2 games in 1. There is the FPS campaign bit & the online multiplayer vehicle bit. The campaign is really really bad. it is so restrictive & linear that it doesnt really even qualify as a fps but should be classified as a rail shooter. The enemies are super repeditive & the NPCs just taaaakkke sooooo loooonnng to do anything that it gets super frustrating. As far asRage is kind of like 2 games in 1. There is the FPS campaign bit & the online multiplayer vehicle bit. The campaign is really really bad. it is so restrictive & linear that it doesnt really even qualify as a fps but should be classified as a rail shooter. The enemies are super repeditive & the NPCs just taaaakkke sooooo loooonnng to do anything that it gets super frustrating. As far as the story goes I didnt even realise i was at the end of the game when the credits came. Chalk that up to a plot fail. Worse than this though was me sitting there for ages installing the game onto my xbox HD & then being told to change my discs over halfway through the campaign??? That is retarded. But worse of all was the box saying it was multiplayer & then having a SINGLE PLAYER campaign. A friend & I bought the game so we could play it together & then had a very severe case of wtf when it turned out to be **** I guess I should read the fineprint closer. The multiplayer vehicle component is really fun though so I dont feel like I have totally blown my money, but I would have hoped the core game would be much much better thatn it was. Expand
  57. Oct 6, 2011
    Seeing the various magazine and critics giving this an 8 makes me honestly believe they are either blind or bribed to lie for a good review. This game is incapable of running on pc without texture errors and pop ins all over . How this pile of mess got out to retail makes me also believe ID only cares about money and hoping people will spend $60 for crap. Thank goodness I did not lay forSeeing the various magazine and critics giving this an 8 makes me honestly believe they are either blind or bribed to lie for a good review. This game is incapable of running on pc without texture errors and pop ins all over . How this pile of mess got out to retail makes me also believe ID only cares about money and hoping people will spend $60 for crap. Thank goodness I did not lay for this pile of crap Expand
  58. Oct 6, 2011
    Unplayable with so much bugs. 6 years for spitting in the face of PC players. What a wonderfull idea... Thanks id Software. Last game i buy from you...
  59. Oct 7, 2011
    wrong rate in last post (should be 0) and i cant edit it.
    wrong rate in last post (should be 0) and i cant edit it.
    Hmm 2x radeon 4890 (crossfire not supported yet), c2d maxed for 4ghz, 6gb of fast ram, win7 64bit, ati drivers 11.10 (rage version) every driver in newest version... conclusion? fkng Rage freezing every 3-5seconds for 2-3 seconds... how they could sell that crap? they have no QA or what?! 7 years of working and still crappy engine ok game looks awesome but after 60fps for 5 seconds i have nice wallpaper for next 3.. ps. i was big fan of quake and id software... tomorow im going to shop to get my money back and throw that crap game "rage" phiew!
  60. Oct 8, 2011
    This game plays like a bad console port, I have been trying to get it working since launch and when it finally works the texture pop-ins are horrendous and the game crashes every 20 seconds.
    I've seen some bad launches but this is inexcusable. Stay away from this game.
  61. Oct 11, 2011
    This game is boring and generig B-class shooter with bad controls which you can expect from a console port. This game is also in EXTREMELY bad condition technically, it performs bad and looks like sh*t. Don't even hesitate to buy.
  62. Oct 10, 2011
    There's too much traveling around and time wasting to get power-ups. A central plot actor - the authority - is never explained, and never resolved. The campaign is too short. The racing controls are terrible (no wheel, no mouse). Never had to use the BFG ammo once to complete - overall too easy (on Normal). Game mechanics intrude on plot, and the final elevator sequence is just ridiculous.There's too much traveling around and time wasting to get power-ups. A central plot actor - the authority - is never explained, and never resolved. The campaign is too short. The racing controls are terrible (no wheel, no mouse). Never had to use the BFG ammo once to complete - overall too easy (on Normal). Game mechanics intrude on plot, and the final elevator sequence is just ridiculous. Beautiful scenery, great level design, fantastic characterization, but these efforts wasted since is too brief, superficial and "sound and fury signifying nothing". Expand
  63. Oct 12, 2011
    Boring Fallout 3 wannabe. Poor story, no character dept, washed up lines. Graphics are both fantastic and horrible. Close-up, they are Snes looking, and from far out the landscapes looks photorealistic. The game play is repetitive. The controls are not made for PC. Forget Quake 1-2-3, Doom 1-2, Heretic and Hexen. The ID era is gone forever.
  64. Oct 10, 2011
    After eventually getting this to work using a combination of patches, launch options, drivers and a bit of good luck I was treated to some impressive visuals. Unfortunately the story has not motivated me so far because from what I can see there isn't one. There is no driving force behind the player's motivations. You're kicked out of of this pod you were cryogenically suspended in andAfter eventually getting this to work using a combination of patches, launch options, drivers and a bit of good luck I was treated to some impressive visuals. Unfortunately the story has not motivated me so far because from what I can see there isn't one. There is no driving force behind the player's motivations. You're kicked out of of this pod you were cryogenically suspended in and you're not told a damn thing about why you were there or what happened and this is a theme that runs throughout the game.

I get the feeling that Rage is nothing more than John Carmack needing more money to fund his Rocket ships and he doesn't personally give a damn about this game except to churn out the engine and critical success is a bonus.
  65. Oct 14, 2011
    Totally crap game. Buggy as hell. You have to start the game 10 times, then it will probably run for the next 15 minutes. Even on a very decent system the game looks aweful. The game is always "streaming" new textures, slowing down the game. Just **** **** **** For God's sake!! AVOID THIS TURD!!!
  66. Oct 10, 2011
    0 its the note and the price for the very bad game of the year 2011 with freeze lag bug with a developpement for console and 0 adaptation for pc this is juste a useless game.

Return on start and stop launch games if they are not finish and tested a 100% for all supports because this is just lol
  67. Oct 14, 2011
    This is the worst game that i have played in years...i have an Ati hd 5850 card but still this bloody game stutters every 5 seconds even with the update and beta 11.10 driver..how can they do this to the Pc gamers..Damn you id software and your crap game..i cant understand what their quality management team was thinking...What is more seen the graphics of this game in 360 and there isThis is the worst game that i have played in years...i have an Ati hd 5850 card but still this bloody game stutters every 5 seconds even with the update and beta 11.10 driver..how can they do this to the Pc gamers..Damn you id software and your crap game..i cant understand what their quality management team was thinking...What is more seen the graphics of this game in 360 and there is nothing special about it.. Expand
  68. Oct 14, 2011
    I have the PC version and yes I had issues on launch day but, I was able to get the game running reasonably well and could play it. Last weekend's patch improved graphical rendering slightly. Currently, the game plays well on my computer but, not great like I would have expected considering my system is well within specs.

However, my comments here don't concern graphical issues. I'm

However, my comments here don't concern graphical issues. I'm rating this game very low for an Id title mainly for two reasons: lack of content and lack of quality workmanship one might expect from an iconic company in PC-gaming. Rage is a game of diversion and slight of hand, mostly the game-maker's hand. I found Rage's storyline embarrassingly weak for an Id/Bethesda collaboration. There are perhaps a half-dozen quests which actually promote the story, the rest are a bunch of poorly laid out shopping trips for quest-giver's to earn their favor or your personal improvement via weapons or armor.

This lack of decent story-telling is then, not-so-cleverly masked with unremarkable side-missions, passable dune-buggy racing and uninteresting mini-games. Having completed the game twice now, once for the sake of seeing and doing as much as possible and once for some of the achievements I can honestly say that - I didn't rush through the game - and have seen all that I care to. Given my long and generally happy experiences with both Id and Bethesda's games, I can tell you that this is not a game to have high expectations for.

I won't spoil the ending for you except to say it's equally - unremarkable. The abrupt ending is, no doubt, a precursor to DLC invasion of our pocket-books. I'll be passing on that. I gave the game 2 out of 10 on the basis of the artwork alone. I would like to thank Id and Bethesda for their past PC games and wish them much success with their new development focus... on consoles... "where the numbers are"...

Buy Rage at your own peril.
  69. Jan 26, 2012
    Uninteresting, unoriginal, and boring are the only descriptions I can give this game. I pre-ordered it and bought into John Carmack's craze and was left holding a steaming turd. The gun mechanics are tight, but there's really nothing here to really keep you playing. The gameplay is mediocre: it has tight gunplay that only the id software can deliver perfectly, but everything else fallsUninteresting, unoriginal, and boring are the only descriptions I can give this game. I pre-ordered it and bought into John Carmack's craze and was left holding a steaming turd. The gun mechanics are tight, but there's really nothing here to really keep you playing. The gameplay is mediocre: it has tight gunplay that only the id software can deliver perfectly, but everything else falls flat. Waves of the same old tired baddies, and the mechanics are out of the 90s. Running around corners shooting people is nice and all for nostalgia, but a game in 2011 needs to be more than a game in 1999 with 2009-level graphics. Expand
  70. Oct 28, 2011
    Terrific game and a fantastic new engine. Well worth your time and a must play for anyone who loves ids' past games, with great art direction and simple but very fun gameplay: just typical id. It's a shame that the PC release wasn't given more love but it's nothing a patch can't fix. For this reason I can't give it a 10 ...so id: please don't do this for Doom 4.
  71. Oct 12, 2011
    Sadly without the jaw dropping graphics of previous id titles to prop up the limp gameplay this game is mediocre at best with an awful lot of filler. This is another title that shows the dreadful decline in the quality of PC games over recent years.
  72. Oct 18, 2011
    Had many issues as many other folks here. Gameplay is linear, repetitive with lazy game design eg like DA2. For a 3 DVD install the game is way too short and has only 2 parts. The ending is terrible and abrupt. Carmack is joining Romero in Daikatana hell!
  73. Oct 24, 2011
    ID software used to be associated with top quality FPS game production. This is no longer the case. Video issues, such as tearing and lack pc appropriate configuration options, leaves this game feeling like a unfinished console port. The story is lame and seemingly artificially drawn out to "fill" the game. AI is ridiculously boring, and characters add nothing to the story. If theID software used to be associated with top quality FPS game production. This is no longer the case. Video issues, such as tearing and lack pc appropriate configuration options, leaves this game feeling like a unfinished console port. The story is lame and seemingly artificially drawn out to "fill" the game. AI is ridiculously boring, and characters add nothing to the story. If the game actually gets a real patch, it's eyecandy should prove very pleasing. From start to finish, the gameplay and storyline disappoints.

One thing is for sure, Carmack and ID software have clearly decided that PC gaming is no longer a viable platform; and it shows. Terribly disappointed, Don't waste your cash.
  74. Nov 1, 2011
    The biggest problem with Rage is not the textures, the performance or the issues on launch. The biggest problem with Rage is that it is simply a boring game. Despite claims to the contrary there are no choices to make in this game (unless you count the choice of skipping side missions to get it over and done with faster), there is no emergent game play, there is no exploration. There isThe biggest problem with Rage is not the textures, the performance or the issues on launch. The biggest problem with Rage is that it is simply a boring game. Despite claims to the contrary there are no choices to make in this game (unless you count the choice of skipping side missions to get it over and done with faster), there is no emergent game play, there is no exploration. There is only an extremely boring rail shooter that feels extremely rushed. The rails are so extreme that it is like playing a horrible 90's shooter. Invisible walls abound and you have no need for the jump button as you can't get anywhere with it. The enemies are uninspired as are the weapons and the driving sections are needless. Overall this is an extremely boring 15 hours or so. Thankfully the final few missions feel so rushed that you can get it over and done with quickly. Avoid. Expand
  75. Nov 3, 2011
    What a massive shame!!! Nothing like it was meant to be
    What a massive shame!!! Nothing like it was meant to be
    Positives are the terrain graphics and fighting. Fighting was great fun and i loved the wingsticks. The driving is good fun too but got a bit boring towards the end. Negatives.....First off was the screen tearing!!! shame on you for releasing it with that level of issue and not really offer any real help. Eventually fixed it and then the graphics were great. Storyline, what storyline? far too linear too. I think they ran out of ideas at the end too, i must have finished the last level in about 10 mins with could have done with just my fists. It could have been a good game as some parts like dead city were amazing. Shame Bethesda didnt make it more like fallout 3 but if the next fallout has terrain detail like this then i cant wait. Provided it has a better story than new vegas
  76. Nov 26, 2011
    The game played fine for me on the PS3. A normal game nothing really outstanding but nothing really game breaking preventing me from playing the game. The only thing that prevents this from being a higher rated game is the length is far to short and you don't get to explore the world like Fallout which is given nods to in game.
  77. Mar 17, 2012
    The game IMO was fun, the story was no where near the greatest but the game play itself made up for it. I never got much of an RPG feel from the game from the get go and never got the vibe in the long run either. The game at launch was for sure not worth the price but once the price dropped I believe it is a fair deal. (60 bucks for a game you can finish in about 5-7 hrs) Btw, I was one ofThe game IMO was fun, the story was no where near the greatest but the game play itself made up for it. I never got much of an RPG feel from the game from the get go and never got the vibe in the long run either. The game at launch was for sure not worth the price but once the price dropped I believe it is a fair deal. (60 bucks for a game you can finish in about 5-7 hrs) Btw, I was one of the lucky few that never had a problem with a buggy, or glitch filled game on the release day, mine ran perfectly from the get go. Expand
  78. Oct 8, 2011
    Completely unplayable garbage. There is no reason why an ugly, outdated graphical game like this with zero physics should run so horribly on machines that eat Crysis, Witcher 2, Red Orchestra 2, Metro 2033, etc for breakfast -- all of which have twice as good of graphics as Rage. Carmack failed. ID Tech 5 is trash and is laughable at best.
  79. Oct 7, 2011
    You should know something is wrong with your game when the best parts of it are secret Retro-graphic looking areas alluding to your old... good games. Unfortunately ID didn't and we got this masterpiece of turd that makes gamers.... RAGE.
  80. Oct 8, 2011
    Worst game ever released on PC I just dont know where to start with this garbage screw you ID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  81. Oct 10, 2011
    Avoid at all cost: This mess is not even playable. Pre-alpha. Latest patch, drivers, hardware. The game itself? Who knows. Im to old for this nonsense.
  82. Oct 15, 2011
    One thing is for certain, they picked a very fitting title for this game due to it being endlessly frustrating to play let alone trying to get the game itself working. The game itself is nothing new or amazing. The gun mechanics are extremely generic and your weapon arsenal is your everyday shotgun and assault rife with a couple of ammo types that for the most part are useless. The racingOne thing is for certain, they picked a very fitting title for this game due to it being endlessly frustrating to play let alone trying to get the game itself working. The game itself is nothing new or amazing. The gun mechanics are extremely generic and your weapon arsenal is your everyday shotgun and assault rife with a couple of ammo types that for the most part are useless. The racing concept is fun, but very repetitive and not elaborated enough on to fully enjoy. What seriously hits this game hard though is the story, it's a complete joke. The story pacing rate is non-existent, there are no likable characters and the theme is just so bland and boring at best. Technically speaking this game is a nightmare-- horrible looking graphics, texture drawing issues, no graphical settings to be adjusted and a FOV that gives you a headache from just looking at the screen, releasing a game like this is just wrong and is criminal in my book and is false advertising at it's finest. If your going to even bother playing this game just torrent it, it's not worth a cent. Expand
  83. Oct 10, 2011
    Upgraded in preparation for what i thought was going to be one of the best games of 2011.
    Gameplay starts fun but when the boredom sets in you get to wishing that Rage at least had good graphics going for it ... and unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case.
    I'm giving Doom 4 a skip as i don't trust ID Software to produce quality.
  84. Oct 10, 2011
    Yeah! We're number One! Yes, I used to think that only European game studios released the kind of poorly built crap that we have seen pop up from time to time over the last several years. Games that took five minutes to load, games that crashed frequently on save, games with storylines that were so confusing as to defy all logic - but now we have a new champion: John Carmack and hisYeah! We're number One! Yes, I used to think that only European game studios released the kind of poorly built crap that we have seen pop up from time to time over the last several years. Games that took five minutes to load, games that crashed frequently on save, games with storylines that were so confusing as to defy all logic - but now we have a new champion: John Carmack and his apparently brain-dead development team. Way to go John, for personally vaulting U.S. game design to the very sub-basement of crap-tastic achievement: a $60 game that more than half of your PC customers can't actually play. It's quite plain that you really do think of the PC as a dead gaming platform given the lack of thought you put into your release. Thanks so much for all the time you spent on making sure that your POS game will play on a six-year-old gaming console with pre-historic hardware while ignoring the audience that actually drives development of new technology: pc gamers. Thanks for exemplifying the current standard of corporate greed and effing over your customers and then claiming that it was AMD and Nvidia's fault that the game YOU released didn't meet even the most basic standards of software quality control. You jackass. Expand
  85. Oct 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This gets a zero because it's the perfect storm. The game comes out broken. No apologies, just Carmack saying update your drivers and blaming ATI and Nvidia (I for one have had no problems with nVidia or ATI, although I know some people do). An apology for this disaster would have went a long ways for me. But all we got was a lot of double talk. The game itself is a lot of smoke and mirrors...it's just a corridor shooter in masked (and not so masked) corridors. The story ends without so much as a boss fight, just ends. Everything they put in there to make it a "deeper" experience actually just makes it that much more apparent as to how shallow it is. No longer a fan of iD, and I am ok with that. I can play Stalker, Witcher 2, Batman AA, Portal 2, Crysis 2, Hard Reset, any Half Life, Amnesia, Capsized...just anything really, besides iD's buggy, rushed, shallow products. I mean, Half Life 2 had solid shooting, superb atmosphere, interesting enemies, no rpg elements, no upgrading etc, but awesome characters you care about, and a story that's not too overbearing but done just right. They should go to the school of Valve

Orbies Out
  86. Oct 8, 2011
    easily one of the worst games of all time.

rage is terrible man; the enemys just run right at you mindlessly you can one shot every single thing in the game with a shotgun + pop rockets (on nightmare) the ai is moronic; the maps are incredibly linear, the storyline is so bad the game would have been better without one, the vehicle controls are terrible, the textures are horrific. the
    easily one of the worst games of all time.

(on nightmare)

the ai is moronic; the maps are incredibly linear, the storyline is so bad the game would have been better without one, the vehicle controls are terrible, the textures are horrific. the guns have no recoil, the bullet physics are non-exsistant; all the guns sound cartoony when you shoot them; bullet spread is non-exsistant; makes no difference on ragdolls where you shoot, unless you snipe and get a headshot. there are NO physics of any kind in the game; no destructible anything; the "boss" fights are terrible. the in game menus do not work properly with a mouse and keyboard, the whole game was designed around xbox360's
    seriously i can not think of a single redeeming feature of rage....
  87. Oct 7, 2011
    ID and Bethesda just spit in the face of PC enthusiasts by releasing Rage in it's initial state. Even after the more seemingly able community created various "workarounds" and "fixes" Rage is still riddled with a limited console based menu, lagging input, low frame rates (even on higher end PCs), texture popping, and various other visual bugs.

Shame on ID.
  88. Oct 6, 2011
    I have played this game on 2 computers. The 1st suffered badly from texture pop-in. I almost gave up then but I know that graphics do not make a game. I have persevered on a 2nd computer with no pop-in. Some of the level art is just phenomenal but the game play is boring, dated and of lazy design. It would seem id only knows how to make one sort of game. It's like id was of the mentalityI have played this game on 2 computers. The 1st suffered badly from texture pop-in. I almost gave up then but I know that graphics do not make a game. I have persevered on a 2nd computer with no pop-in. Some of the level art is just phenomenal but the game play is boring, dated and of lazy design. It would seem id only knows how to make one sort of game. It's like id was of the mentality "we will build it and they will come". Apart from the incredible art design there is nothing in this game that is new or creative. You don't want to see the word "tedious" in a review but that's what I think of this game. Expand
  89. Oct 8, 2011
    Unable to even start the game on my high-end PC no matter the settings or driver versions. I would never have expected this kind of failure from Id-software but i guess they are just as bad as the rest of the video game industry.
  90. Oct 9, 2011
    Bad ugly and full of bugs console port. Optimization: 0, and no visual options.

A piece of worthless junk, for sure. It would be an insult to spend money on buying this.

Thanks Carmack for this nightmare.
  91. Oct 6, 2011
    This game is a complete mess. The worst part is that ID decided to remove the ability to adjust graphics. Why they would do this is a complete mystery. It wouldnt be so bad if the game wasnt so buggy and broken. They had way more than enough time to put out a finished product and yet they failed oh so hard. This is by far away the worst release I have ever seen. Fallout new vegas and theThis game is a complete mess. The worst part is that ID decided to remove the ability to adjust graphics. Why they would do this is a complete mystery. It wouldnt be so bad if the game wasnt so buggy and broken. They had way more than enough time to put out a finished product and yet they failed oh so hard. This is by far away the worst release I have ever seen. Fallout new vegas and the Stalker series didnt have a quarter of the bugs this stinker has. Total waste of money. To think these are the people who made my beloved Quake and doom. R.I.P ID software, R.I.P Expand
  92. Oct 7, 2011
    I just wanted the people who gave an honest low rating to know that I wont be purchasing this game following the many poor user reviews. Clearly there is a massive skew with the magazinesite reviews and the experience users are seeing. So thanks to those who saved me some money. And to ID, these reviews matter.
  93. Oct 7, 2011
    This has to be one of THE worst games I have played in at least 10 years. The graphics would have been an embarrassment on the original Playstation, the gameplay is flatout stolen (Borderlands, Fallout series), and it should never have been released on PC. I played 5.5 hours and had to quit because I was so disgusted with the entire experience. To make matters worse, the game is clearlyThis has to be one of THE worst games I have played in at least 10 years. The graphics would have been an embarrassment on the original Playstation, the gameplay is flatout stolen (Borderlands, Fallout series), and it should never have been released on PC. I played 5.5 hours and had to quit because I was so disgusted with the entire experience. To make matters worse, the game is clearly not finished, as many people couldn't even get it to run when it was released. Stay AWAY from this game at all costs; I wouldn't take it if it was free...and it wasn't. Expand
  94. Oct 7, 2011
    Completely unplayable on release. Even with the various forum fixes and the new drivers. A huge let down by ID, one of the developers I still respected. My specs are far from minimum, oh well back to DX:HR at least they somewhat tested the game on PC before shipping.....

DO NOT BUY THIS UNTIL IT IS PATCHED AT LEAST
  95. Oct 7, 2011
    I regestered to say this game is bad. Really bad. I am one of the fortunate ones that has little to NO issues with the graphic problems people have been happing. This game was a huge let down. I was expecting top of the line breakthrough effects and a awesome graphics engine. Instead I played a game that compared to a old playstation 2 game. I watched all the trailers and the making of theI regestered to say this game is bad. Really bad. I am one of the fortunate ones that has little to NO issues with the graphic problems people have been happing. This game was a huge let down. I was expecting top of the line breakthrough effects and a awesome graphics engine. Instead I played a game that compared to a old playstation 2 game. I watched all the trailers and the making of the game. What a let down. Graphics are nothing like they advertised. the trees and charactors in the game are piss poor ps2 graphics. This game constantly reminds me of some old jurassic park game for the pc from 1999. The charactor interaction pretends like you have options. you dont. I was expecting fallout style interactions. no there is no choices its all bs.

expect to go back to certain levels over again for a different mission. they use every "level" 2 times to make the already short game longer. nothing like beating a area and going right back to it for a nother mission. I game this game a fair chance. since it has no replay value it will never be played again.
  96. Oct 8, 2011
    The ending killed it for me. It was clearly supposed to be a 20-25 hour game but it got cut short.

Incredibly anti-climactic. Invisible walls everywhere to the point that it's almost like they don't want you to explore what I thought was supposed to be an open world. The shooting is fantastic, so are the enemies. It's the one thing they did right in the game and did very very well.

Incredibly anti-climactic.

What can I say about the graphics.. it's an amazing engine with a terrible auto detect feature that we can't correct ourselves.

This game definitely was not supposed to come out for another year.
    What happened to "when it's done"?
  97. Oct 8, 2011
    When it doesn't crash (1 out of 3 attempts for me - I really tried), the fights are dull and the outcome seems to have little relation to what you did during that fight. The weapons have a very weak feel, which for me is a dealbreaker for this type of game.
  98. Oct 12, 2011
    Giving the game a 0 or a 1 is harsh and ridiculous. This game is played by a bunch of grumpy PC gamers who think this is still the 90's. The game isn't perfect, and the game isn't the most exciting, but let me write a quick REAL review.

First of all, the game launched with what people thought were bugs. In fact, it shipped without true driver support. The game ran terrible and I wasn't even sure what was going on. After installing the 11.10 Preview drivers and receiving the second patch, the game was smooth as butter. It's too bad we don't get smooth as butter games the second it's released. Yeah I know, we all want to play the game at midnight, but it's usually not such a good idea. Unfortunately, it's commonplace for patches and driver issues and updates and yadda yadda. It's money, politics, management, planning, etc... No launch is perfect.

Finally when the game did work correctly, I could see the beauty. The game EXCELS in outdoor art and architecture. The settings look photorealistic from afar, but like many others say, textures appear blurry and pixelated up close. They were obviously designed that way, but the tradeoff is extremely apparent. A lot of objects look low res and there are practically no physics or interaction with the environment, it's static, but it sure looks pretty. The tone is rather dark, not much color or super impressive lighting, but it'll do.

The audio on the other hand was very amateur. I won't point fingers, but it sounds rushed. Vehicle engine sounds don't blend properly, music doesn't loop smoothly, stingers end abruptly, dialog is rather dry and boring. The gun sounds were decent, and some hit sounds were decent, but it seems very corny and oudated for a game in 2011. Very disappointed with the audio. It wasn't immersive at all.

The storytelling was also very bland. I didn't feel like I was working up towards this grand finale. I didn't feel like I had a purpose. I was just this dude killing **** to make people happy so we could fight those other dudes cause you know, they're bad and all... That's fine. But if you're going to pretend you're an open world game, I'd at least appreciate some more interesting missions, dialog, interaction, and storytelling. This is where the game fell absolutely FLAT.

The gameplay in general is fun. I play tons of FPS's. I love all of them. Sci-fi, military, open world, corridor shooters, you name, I'll generally play it and have a blast. I think this game delivers the fun factor. It's a bit different from the usual id and it features some really great driving. While I wish it was incorporated in the story a bit more interestingly, the driving and shooting was fun. Then you pop out of your car, do a mission classic FPS style (Plus some cool new guns) and then that's it. But it's very formulaic. You always know what to expect. The environments, while unique and beautiful, still lack substance for the gameplay. I really wish this wasn't so. But it's the truth. We get a little bit of this, a little bit of that. But what is this? Don't try and be an RPG if you're not. Borderlands did the RPG thing well, so did Fallout, this falls short of what could be an RPG and ends up more like an expanded basic FPS.

All in all, the game is worth trying if you like shooters. But I think so many people are "Extremely disappointed to the MAXXXXXX" is because we expect so much of id. If this was any other developer, people would be like, "Cool. Fun game. Bored of it. Whatever." But because it's id, as PC gamers, we feel let down. It's too bad, but we can only hope for something more spectacular on next generation consoles. Yeah, you heard me. CONSOLES. I don't like to say it either, but in this business you need to make money to survive, that means tailoring towards consoles. As someone who works in the entertainment industry, I know = / Would I say this is a great PC game? Meh, it's so-so. The ideas were there, the heart and the hard work was there, but the execution was poor. We end up with another shooter that ends abruptly leaving you saying, "Really? That's it?"
  99. Nov 3, 2011
    I thought it was not bad, had no graphics problems myself after downloading the beta driver from nvidia. Some things it did really well, like making the towns seem alive, the card game, and racing. The artwork was good as well. A lot of the missions were a grind + too linear though, and the outdoor buggy travel was in desperate need of an in game map. I quite liked the end, since I had toI thought it was not bad, had no graphics problems myself after downloading the beta driver from nvidia. Some things it did really well, like making the towns seem alive, the card game, and racing. The artwork was good as well. A lot of the missions were a grind + too linear though, and the outdoor buggy travel was in desperate need of an in game map. I quite liked the end, since I had to use the buffs and gadgets for once though the mission was rather short. I certainly had a lot of fun in a lot of parts. Expand
  100. Oct 15, 2011
    Rage

Rage

I should probably state that I am not fan of shooters in general, in my opinion the problem this genre suffers is repetitiveness, in most of this games you mainly walk around shooting people with different weapons killing them in different ways ( which for me is not very amusing thing to do, unless it is an online experience). Sometimes a shooter can be made bearable or even good by the storyline it has, however dialogues and cut scenes in shooters more often than not are just there to fill the space between different levels and some of players donâ

1. PC Games (Russia)
    Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 15, 2011
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. CD-Action
    Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]