Rage PC

5.2

1. Oct 22, 2011
    Since many of the graphic issues have been fixed here is my take on the CURRENT state of the game.
    1. Too short - 8-10 hours of game play max for single player even if you suck at racing
    2. Graphics are STILL not top notch for a PC game. The excuse that it is designed mostly for consoles is inexcusable. If you are designing for a console only, leave it there. 3. Nice weapon and ammo
    3. Nice weapon and ammo mechanics make for some nice differences
    4. Story starts out strong with OK acting and ends abruptly with little in the way of gaming climax. End cinematic was fine, but the end game play was shockingly nonexistent.
  2. Oct 10, 2011
    Game is running smoothly on my system, graphics are ok. Game itself just is very boring and linear. I hate that there is no physics, except for what there is when driving, you can't destroy any environment what so ever. Also Rage's story doesn't inspire me to continue playing. Sounds suck. Blah
  3. Oct 4, 2011
    Still unable to get into this POS game. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE. Both Bethsoft and Steams Rage game forums are filled with nothing but threads with players who are having massive issues with this game. ID, your shine has long lost it's luster and I will never look at you in the same shining light as a game developer.
  4. Oct 7, 2011
    Not really what I had hoped for... Carmack+Bethesda= mediocrity. ID was a great software company, but don't let their name on the box fool you, this ain't Quake 5. More or less this is the retarded child you would get if you mixed Borderlands and Fallout 3. Borderlands 2 will be much better, avoid buyers remorse save your money and enjoy that, but avoid this boring ass game. Mechanics C-Not really what I had hoped for... Carmack+Bethesda= mediocrity. ID was a great software company, but don't let their name on the box fool you, this ain't Quake 5. More or less this is the retarded child you would get if you mixed Borderlands and Fallout 3. Borderlands 2 will be much better, avoid buyers remorse save your money and enjoy that, but avoid this boring ass game. Mechanics C- Story B- Voice Acting B+ Multiplayer F Expand
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is worthless. A lot of people are trying to blame Nvidia and especially AMD but the reality is that unless the game specifies unreleased drivers as part of the requirements, then it should function at least capably on what's already out there.
    I like many people cannot even get the game to start without a crash. If you want to see something funny go watch the videos of textures and gameplay.
    If you want a real review of the game from someone that's managed to be able to play it head over to Ars Technica. What a pathetic flop!!!
  6. Oct 7, 2011
    After several tweaks and homebrew fixes (note: from users, as of this writing no official patch has yet been released) I've managed to get Rage to at least be playable, though not bug free. Textures still pop-in from time to time, unexplained graphical glitches are commonplace and the occasional crash-to-desktop from a loading screen still occur. Enough about that though, most of theAfter several tweaks and homebrew fixes (note: from users, as of this writing no official patch has yet been released) I've managed to get Rage to at least be playable, though not bug free. Textures still pop-in from time to time, unexplained graphical glitches are commonplace and the occasional crash-to-desktop from a loading screen still occur. Enough about that though, most of the negative reviews cover that well enough. The game itself is... decent. The actual shooting portion is engaging, though super easy - you are functionally immortal due to regenerating health AND on-demand medikits. Really?? Add in a cover system and you've got the trifecta. The enemies are pretty cool, and levels are a blast to play through.... the first time. Rage commits a cardinal sin in a game by padding content with maps you play though normally, then return and play through them again either reversed or with sections blocked off. It was unacceptable in Dragon Age 2, and it's unacceptable here. The racing/driving portions are fun enough but controls are odd if you don't play with a gamepad. All in all Rage could have been a much better game without the design shortcuts and if it had actual bug testing before launch. As it stands the game doesn't have enough content (roughly 15 hours if you do all sidequests and run every race) to warrant dropping $60. If you absolutely must play it, wait until the price drops to $20-$30 probably next month. I'm uninstalling as I write this. Expand
  7. Oct 7, 2011
    Very disappointing game. I will leave the graphics and texture issues to the other users. My biggest issue is the game play and story line....very very weak. Like "Urrid" (another reader) I actually registered an account here to properly rate this child game. I got caught up in the marketing and the fact I just haven't played a good game all year. Maybe Dues Ex, but that had it'sVery disappointing game. I will leave the graphics and texture issues to the other users. My biggest issue is the game play and story line....very very weak. Like "Urrid" (another reader) I actually registered an account here to properly rate this child game. I got caught up in the marketing and the fact I just haven't played a good game all year. Maybe Dues Ex, but that had it's shortcoming, which drove me to look for the next game to fulfill my internal itch..or ID...ir whatever.. Ok, my psychological issues aside, here is my problems with the game. 1. Story line - What is the point of me being there. I've played for a few hours and I am just running missions with no real character need. 2. The open world is really a closed world. Visually it looks OK, but there are only a few paths to take. 3. Missions are super easy (on Difficult) and are to focused on the path the game wants to take me. I can't diverge it some other sector of the game if I wish to. Sure there are side missions, but they are completed quickly. Talking to the other characters in the game is boring and in today's market, games should provide a path to take the conversations. This is a one to one and start a mission. 4. The bosses look pretty cool but are easy and somewhat stationary. 5. Character enhancements and weapons. Just plain weak. In all this game should not be rated M. It is kids 8-14. And that is an insult for anyone over 8 years old. This game is simple in game play, story line and graphics. I will keep playing until someone recommends an alternative or until MW3 or ME3 comes out....The developers did get my money though. *sigh* what a disappointment. Expand
  8. Oct 4, 2011
    I have a high end gaming pc with the latest driver and this game is unplayable...Crashes all of the time. Not to mention the textures suck and pop in issues.
  9. op8
    Oct 15, 2011
    Quite dissapointed for lots of reasons. 1)mind numbing missions, that provide zero motivation and proper reasoning. I honestly cannot believe that who ever wrote this is a person that even enjoys playing games. I would be embarassed to put my name to this paper thin plot, and i'm sure other real gamers will agree with me.I wish they had just left out the "story" completely.2)half the timeQuite dissapointed for lots of reasons. 1)mind numbing missions, that provide zero motivation and proper reasoning. I honestly cannot believe that who ever wrote this is a person that even enjoys playing games. I would be embarassed to put my name to this paper thin plot, and i'm sure other real gamers will agree with me.I wish they had just left out the "story" completely.2)half the time textures are too muddy. 3)There is absolutely no physics effects and no destructable enviroments at all.e.g.A vase on a table is stuck to the table like a cast iron statue, and that is unacceptable. If this is the consequence of this new engine then its not worth it just to have pretty looking textures for some of the game. 4)I have the worst screen tearing i have ever seen in my life (i have a very decent nvidia based rig and have not been able to get rid of it even with all the suggested fixes and patch). On the plus side i havent had any crashes or the texture pop-in others are having and it stays a nice 60 fps.Also the character models are nice, the textures at a distance can look look fantastic, the combat is fairly satisfying, and the driving is kinda Mario Kartish.The post release update (that also includes the missing graphics options) has made stuff worse for me and taken some of the crispiness out of the good looking textures.With all the technical issues its had at release, its really not what we should be accepting from a modern AAA title. Looking at the game as a whole package, its really below average in most respects apart from graphics, and not worth paying full price for, definately reccomend waiting for price drop. Expand
  10. oso
    Oct 8, 2011
    Can't belief that this pile of crap has been produced by the same geniuses that created quake, doom and wolfenstein. For Years i wished so greatly to finally play this game but the disappointment i experienced today is indescribable. Mainly the optical issues (incredible bugs and non available advanced options) made me hate this game so much i'd just like to hit tim willits in the faceCan't belief that this pile of crap has been produced by the same geniuses that created quake, doom and wolfenstein. For Years i wished so greatly to finally play this game but the disappointment i experienced today is indescribable. Mainly the optical issues (incredible bugs and non available advanced options) made me hate this game so much i'd just like to hit tim willits in the face with it till he god damn apologizes for every single cent i wasted with it. Expand
  11. Oct 4, 2011
    Extremely Disapointing. Story line is Dull, Graphics are very poor, and VERY brown, with a hint of dark brown to change it up. Gameplay is rather dull, offers nothing new, or innovative. Texture pop in awful on my i7 2500k Nvidia 560TI 1GB. Low Frame rates, long loading times, ZERO graphics options, unable to turn on V-SYNC so the tearing is bad. gunplay is well.. shockingly badExtremely Disapointing. Story line is Dull, Graphics are very poor, and VERY brown, with a hint of dark brown to change it up. Gameplay is rather dull, offers nothing new, or innovative. Texture pop in awful on my i7 2500k Nvidia 560TI 1GB. Low Frame rates, long loading times, ZERO graphics options, unable to turn on V-SYNC so the tearing is bad. gunplay is well.. shockingly bad considering who made this, the guns dont have any UMPH and seem poor when you hear the noises.

By far the most disapointing game i have played this year. What the heck happened to you ID?
  12. Oct 4, 2011
    As someone who WAS a loyal ID fan I am officially done with this company. The fact that they released this game in this condition is appalling. Most, if not the majority reviewers (check forums its not a localized event) have machines that are meeting or surpassing the required specs, and yet this game is completely unplayable in most respects and shows overall how ID has left pc gamersAs someone who WAS a loyal ID fan I am officially done with this company. The fact that they released this game in this condition is appalling. Most, if not the majority reviewers (check forums its not a localized event) have machines that are meeting or surpassing the required specs, and yet this game is completely unplayable in most respects and shows overall how ID has left pc gamers out to dry. Carmack has officially lost all respect in the pc community with statements like "well be sure to update your drivers and that should solve most problems"...lmao.... really John?...

If not for the screen tearing, textures failing to load, models popping on the screen for no apparent reason, flashing everything, and low fps, this may have been an awesome game, but looks like the 2 homeless guys and the chimp that they hired to port it from console to pc, may not have done the best job.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
    (or at least not until it has been completely overhauled with massive patching to even begin fixing the massive gamebreaking bugs this game has.)

ID tech 5.....more like Crap tech 5
  13. Oct 4, 2011
    A game that touted its graphics. Its gameplay. Marred in glitches. The MEGA TEXTURE was reduced to comply with the poor performance of consoles. Unfortunately that reduced quality texture work made it to the PC. The game as in gameplay is a rather generic FPS with some pretty charismatic enemies. Unfortunately those enemies are in a corridor esq environment all of the time. Though it looksA game that touted its graphics. Its gameplay. Marred in glitches. The MEGA TEXTURE was reduced to comply with the poor performance of consoles. Unfortunately that reduced quality texture work made it to the PC. The game as in gameplay is a rather generic FPS with some pretty charismatic enemies. Unfortunately those enemies are in a corridor esq environment all of the time. Though it looks like open world, it is in all reality a DOOM with a sun roof. If you are in the market for this game stay away until they Patch it, Enhance it, and update the graphics settings to comply with todays pcs. Carmack was interviewed recently and expressed his regret in making the game simultaneously for the pc and consoles, due to the fact that pc kept multiplying in power over the 6 years they took to make the game, the game suffered from having to choose between the horse power of the pc or the 50 million sold xbox and PS3s, they chose the latter and it shows. . Unfortunately, until the issues of the horrid textures (at it's best Prey at it's worst comparable to shenmue), the graphical anomalies, the no settings attributes and perhaps even the less then enthralling environments on which the game has you duke it out with its foes. It remains a game locked in the past with DOOM 3 hiding under a ruble of it's own ambition, an ambition marred by 6 year old tech Expand
  14. Oct 7, 2011
    1. pretty linear with no open world area.
    2. You exit an ongoing mission and you will loose everything you have done so far.
    3. Blurry texture, with pretty low refresh rate, even with up to date drivers and pretty decent pc build 4. amazingly fast enemy combine with blurry texture....hell on earth. 5. cannot rotate camera while driving vehicule. 6. Got stuck in a wall and had to blow
    1. pretty linear with no open world area.
    4. amazingly fast enemy combine with blurry texture....hell on earth.
    5. cannot rotate camera while driving vehicule.
    6. Got stuck in a wall and had to blow myself up with a grenage to move back again.
    Was this game ever tested?

Graphics would be good, borderland style, if we could pay attention to backgrounds but it seriously hurt my eyes when i concentrate on something else that my own gun.
    Im trying hard to find positive points to this game, but i finished 2 quests and im already bored since we are now used to better quality.
    Im really disapointed that bethesda is involved in a game without choice making. I got used to games like Elder scrolls and Fallout and i was expecting something in the same category. All i received with Rage is an even more buggy game even if i experienced ctd and corrupted save games with these other titles.
    I won't be hasty next time i see bethesda softworks as the publisher.
    And if someone is still wondering if he should buy this, even with all these bad reviews, i would STRONGLY suggest to get a console version and wait for a BIG SALE. This game is not even close to a 60 bucks value. Maybe a 10$ that is all.
  15. Oct 4, 2011
    This game has hyped to the max for 2 years. Carmack brags about this game's engine only to be infested with so much bugs and glitches that it's unplayable for most people.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 2011 Daikatana. pros: - john goodman - pretty graphics cons - horrible horrible pc optimization. artifacts, slow texture loading, blinking - consolized video setting, you can only

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 2011 Daikatana.

pros:
    - john goodman
    - pretty graphics

cons
    - horrible horrible pc optimization. artifacts, slow texture loading, blinking
    - consolized video setting, you can only change the resolution and the AA. autodetect is a sham, carmack promised 60fps gameplay but I'm getting 20-25 fps with stuttering.
    - $60 PC game
    - Carmack's solution to this problem? "lol just update your drivers, silly pc gamers"
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    I registered an account here just to say how horridly iD and Bethesda botched the PC port of Rage. I have a system that is well above recommended specs with a very common ATI card and the texture draw in and framerate issues on launch are horrendous. How this game got out the door in this shape is a mystery to me, but now I would be curious to see it on my PS3. Perhaps PC users are noI registered an account here just to say how horridly iD and Bethesda botched the PC port of Rage. I have a system that is well above recommended specs with a very common ATI card and the texture draw in and framerate issues on launch are horrendous. How this game got out the door in this shape is a mystery to me, but now I would be curious to see it on my PS3. Perhaps PC users are no longer worthy of receiving a working product? Expand
  17. Oct 5, 2011
    This game is **** Not only it looks better on consoles, ID and Bethesda only added an option to the game for anti-aliasing and no other graphical options, the key binding is TROLLING me.
    So far I have gotten into the game is after the intro. After that, I get HUGE lag spikes in the game that happen every second or so which make it 100% impossible for me to play. Unless you enjoy walking 10 meters in 10 minutes. With loads of lag.
    So basically I wasted 60 dollars and couldn't even finish the first level of the game. Way to go id. I will clap for you all the way to hell.
    The only reason why I'm giving this game a 1/10 instead of a 0/10 is because of the mediocre enough intro movie that didn't suck as much as the game.
  18. Oct 4, 2011
    I cant believe how bad Id failed to deliver on this one. It had so much potential, but I'm suck with textures that disappear as soon as I look around and frame rates jump around from 20-60fps like crazy. All with almost no graphics options (res. and AA. There isn't even Vsync). I'm running this game on a 3.4Ghz Phenom II quad-core and a 6970... yet it's totally unplayable. Id can go ****I cant believe how bad Id failed to deliver on this one. It had so much potential, but I'm suck with textures that disappear as soon as I look around and frame rates jump around from 20-60fps like crazy. All with almost no graphics options (res. and AA. There isn't even Vsync). I'm running this game on a 3.4Ghz Phenom II quad-core and a 6970... yet it's totally unplayable. Id can go **** themselves. Expand
  19. Oct 8, 2011
    this is awful. I have a pc that can on paper run rage without problems. but i have most times maximal 14 fps. and there is a lot of bugs, bugs and bugs. Textures are for **** and the worst problem is that the game works perfectly well on consoles! DONT BUY THIS GAME FOR PC!
  20. Oct 4, 2011
    Intro is really neat, everything looking great, and then the game starts.

I walk out into the vast world, it looks amazing, and then I turn to the left. My textures disappear. They load back a second later though. This is a joke.

i52500/gtx460
  21. Oct 6, 2011
    Essentially a 5 year old game with outdated DX9 graphics, blurry low-res textures and passive environment. Game structure is copied straight from MMO games - take quests from city hub NPCs, drive to dungeon entrance (the door), zone in and kill everyone (collect everything), deliver the quest and get reward, rense & repeat. Shooting mechanic is obsolete, no in-game physics whatsoever,Essentially a 5 year old game with outdated DX9 graphics, blurry low-res textures and passive environment. Game structure is copied straight from MMO games - take quests from city hub NPCs, drive to dungeon entrance (the door), zone in and kill everyone (collect everything), deliver the quest and get reward, rense & repeat. Shooting mechanic is obsolete, no in-game physics whatsoever, driving part is a joke. Not to mention all the technical problems on PC... 3/10 is the best you get Mr. Carmack and Co. Expand
  22. Oct 4, 2011
    Who knows. I might like it if I could play it. I can't play it because they did not beta test, and so the game doesn't run. I want to like it, I do. If they fix this EXTREMELY quickly I'll alter the score to whatever is appropriate. However, this game is currently a complete steaming pile and I can't give them any points for a game I can't play.
  23. Oct 4, 2011
    Gonna have to throw my hat into the ring and this game into the greyed out, dead in the water section of my Steam library (along with the utter pile of crap that was Brink) due to terrible performance and game lock ups. There seems to be a good game somewhere in here, but I may never know as I have had problem after problem with crashing (game crashes every single time I try to finish theGonna have to throw my hat into the ring and this game into the greyed out, dead in the water section of my Steam library (along with the utter pile of crap that was Brink) due to terrible performance and game lock ups. There seems to be a good game somewhere in here, but I may never know as I have had problem after problem with crashing (game crashes every single time I try to finish the mutant tv section of the game), flickering enemies (using the recommended up to date drivers), that has forum users offering up voodoo fixes that just don't seem to help. I told myself that I would never again pre purchase a game after Brink, and I let the hype sway me. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. This is my second review on metacritic, and the one I signed up to give, and I give it a zero. Can't review a game that won't allow me to play it! 60 dollars in the toilet :( Expand
  24. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is not working. It eats up 100% CPU because it does not recognize the RAM on your video card. How could they sell a broken product?

Graphical pop-in, poor LoD distances, Artifacting, and the game freezing every few seconds for 10-15 seconds. NOT PLAYABLE. Game was also released with BROKEN DRIVERS, the Updated drivers do not fix GAME BROKEN problems. How could they sell me a

How could they sell me a broken product?
  25. Oct 4, 2011
    UNACCEPTABLE. How does this have ANY positive critic scores? That makes absolutely no sense unless these reviewers are blatantly mentally disabled.

To release a multi-platform game, priced the same as the other platforms, that is severely lacking compared to other platforms, is a CRIME and false advertising! The fact that people paid 59.99 or at best 10 dollars off that price for a game

The fact that people paid 59.99 or at best 10 dollars off that price for a game where you can't look around without seeing horrible glitchy pop-in and other texture and graphical issues, should be brought to ID's attention.

Customers should be able to get refunds for this piece of **** or at least their money back for being promised a game that WORKED PROPERLY! Once a PC developer, now a memory. Thanks for treating PC gamers as third class customers. I made an account just to review this P.O.S.
  26. Oct 6, 2011
    The game Rage fails at even it's most basic function - to show off the ID Tech 5 Engine, the engine in it's capacity used by Rage demonstrates a company who has lost the plot entirely with respect to pioneering 3D gaming engine scene. All static lighting baked into textures, awful looking low resolution static shadows baked into the textures, low resolution so called megatextures andThe game Rage fails at even it's most basic function - to show off the ID Tech 5 Engine, the engine in it's capacity used by Rage demonstrates a company who has lost the plot entirely with respect to pioneering 3D gaming engine scene. All static lighting baked into textures, awful looking low resolution static shadows baked into the textures, low resolution so called megatextures and highly compressed audio, if they had a time machine and released this engine in 2005 they'd stand to get some praise, everything about the direction they took was a poor decision on their part. The only thing that can be praised about Rage is the AI - everything is subpar for a 2011 AAA title release. Expand
  27. Oct 8, 2011
    Carmack you are the biggest disappointment in PC gaming history, you **** on the people you own all your success to. Carmack pretended knowingly to cater to PC to build hype, cash in on preorders using his former fame, and then delivering a lazy, embarrassing, piece of crap software and also having the insolence to ask full price for his great turd. Stop making excuses and at least admitCarmack you are the biggest disappointment in PC gaming history, you **** on the people you own all your success to. Carmack pretended knowingly to cater to PC to build hype, cash in on preorders using his former fame, and then delivering a lazy, embarrassing, piece of crap software and also having the insolence to ask full price for his great turd. Stop making excuses and at least admit you have lost all passion for gaming and are only interested in cold cash. STAY AWAY. Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2011
    The Good

Sound design is excellent. Shotgun blasts are superb, kachink sound from crossbow is dead on. Music and accompanying mood is great. I actually got scared even though there was nothing to be scared of just from the music alone. Art direction is almost original. Gameplay is excellent. That shotgun is amazing! Enemies are varied. Great care put into animation noted. The Bad 25Gb
    The Good

The Bad

25Gb install size and all I get are blurry textures. Spin around too fast and the LOD is a split second behind. You will actually see ultra blurry textures. It's only for a split second but it is detracting from the realism of the game.

The Ugly

Don't be fooled by the "auto detect your hardware to maintain 60fps." That's just market speak for "Console Port." The menus are clunky, mouse is erratic when turning down sensitivity to low (essential for the 5600 DPI gamers out there), and no graphic settings. On a 570 the textures are on par with Crysis on Medium. I know it's 60 fps but who wants to play that when I could boot up Time crysis. Now there is an epic scale to the game, the vistas are downright gorgeous from afar, but it only gives the illusion of scale. The fact is, the game is linear through and through. And when it isn't, it's because it's sending you to backtrack for fetch quests.

This game is prolly awesome for the ageing consoles. But the PS2-like textures on a high end graphics card is a deal breaker. If they the gamers are allowed to see those high res textures, this game could have been better, but as is, it just appears to be a waste of 25 gigs.
  29. Oct 4, 2011
    Graphics are well done so are the animations, thats really all this game has going for it. Over the last decade we are noticing more and more games turning into plane old shooters nothing more. This game is clearly only for those who like to run and gun and ignore everything else. Loot is not exciting at all, its find ammo and things to open doors for more ammo. There is not alot ofGraphics are well done so are the animations, thats really all this game has going for it. Over the last decade we are noticing more and more games turning into plane old shooters nothing more. This game is clearly only for those who like to run and gun and ignore everything else. Loot is not exciting at all, its find ammo and things to open doors for more ammo. There is not alot of originality to this game just alot of repetitive action. We have all already played games like this we should all save 60$$. Expand
  30. Oct 5, 2011
    horrible , not optimized , crashed , sound problems , pop in , this game is planing for pc , and consoles , but in pc the game sucks , not working good in any pc , nvidia , or ati video cards .

1. PC Games (Russia)
    Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 15, 2011
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. CD-Action
    Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]