5.1

1. Oct 4, 2011
    Buggy and boring. Carmack will engage in self-love and and spend all his time making it run at 60fps on the 360 but he is such a weak leader that he cant hire a team of people to make an engaging game. Its not worth your money. id is only capable of making arena-style Q3 games where characters are nothing outside of their wacky names.
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    I registered an account here just to say how horridly iD and Bethesda botched the PC port of Rage. I have a system that is well above recommended specs with a very common ATI card and the texture draw in and framerate issues on launch are horrendous. How this game got out the door in this shape is a mystery to me, but now I would be curious to see it on my PS3. Perhaps PC users are noI registered an account here just to say how horridly iD and Bethesda botched the PC port of Rage. I have a system that is well above recommended specs with a very common ATI card and the texture draw in and framerate issues on launch are horrendous. How this game got out the door in this shape is a mystery to me, but now I would be curious to see it on my PS3. Perhaps PC users are no longer worthy of receiving a working product? Expand
  3. Oct 4, 2011
    Boring. Banal. ID fails to deliver either coherent story or strong gameplay. Carmack has lost his touch in pursuit of $$$ and no longer cares about making good games. Avoid this turd.
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    When you fire this game up on your high end system you will scream out "console port" from the sheer looks and controls of it, everything feels unresponsive and slow. I would not recommend any other sane person to buy this. John Carmack you failed me, maybe I will buy another game from your company if DOOM4 turns out well. Fail!
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    Game runs 10% of the time. Crashes on launch , or when you exit the arc. Approx 20fps with 2x6970's and no AA. When it does run, look left, look back and the textures have gone. Wait and they reload! lol wtf is this crap.
  6. Oct 5, 2011
    This game is **** Not only it looks better on consoles, ID and Bethesda only added an option to the game for anti-aliasing and no other graphical options, the key binding is TROLLING me.
    So far I have gotten into the game is after the intro. After that, I get HUGE lag spikes in the game that happen every second or so which make it 100% impossible for me to play. Unless you enjoy walking 10 meters in 10 minutes. With loads of lag.
    So basically I wasted 60 dollars and couldn't even finish the first level of the game. Way to go id. I will clap for you all the way to hell.
    The only reason why I'm giving this game a 1/10 instead of a 0/10 is because of the mediocre enough intro movie that didn't suck as much as the game.
  7. Oct 4, 2011
    Who knows. I might like it if I could play it. I can't play it because they did not beta test, and so the game doesn't run. I want to like it, I do. If they fix this EXTREMELY quickly I'll alter the score to whatever is appropriate. However, this game is currently a complete steaming pile and I can't give them any points for a game I can't play.
  8. Oct 4, 2011
    this game has terrible graphical issues that will leave you with a headache and ultimately the tearing and popping gets so bad you cannot play. enemies pop in and out while fighting them. I do not see next gen graphics here, Hard Reset and Stalker look better visually, this game has just a little more color than Fallout 3 I'd say.
  9. Oct 4, 2011
    Extremely Disapointing. Story line is Dull, Graphics are very poor, and VERY brown, with a hint of dark brown to change it up. Gameplay is rather dull, offers nothing new, or innovative. Texture pop in awful on my i7 2500k Nvidia 560TI 1GB. Low Frame rates, long loading times, ZERO graphics options, unable to turn on V-SYNC so the tearing is bad. gunplay is well.. shockingly badExtremely Disapointing. Story line is Dull, Graphics are very poor, and VERY brown, with a hint of dark brown to change it up. Gameplay is rather dull, offers nothing new, or innovative. Texture pop in awful on my i7 2500k Nvidia 560TI 1GB. Low Frame rates, long loading times, ZERO graphics options, unable to turn on V-SYNC so the tearing is bad. gunplay is well.. shockingly bad considering who made this, the guns dont have any UMPH and seem poor when you hear the noises.

By far the most disapointing game i have played this year. What the heck happened to you ID?
  10. Oct 4, 2011
    The lack of optimization for the PC is very disappointing with jittery frame rates, constant weird texture pop in and a very lacking PC graphics menu I was expecting more from the guys behind Doom and Quake. For me at least this game is currently unplayable, I'm sure it'll be patched in the coming months to fix all these issues, I hope they develop a better graphics menu. But at the momentThe lack of optimization for the PC is very disappointing with jittery frame rates, constant weird texture pop in and a very lacking PC graphics menu I was expecting more from the guys behind Doom and Quake. For me at least this game is currently unplayable, I'm sure it'll be patched in the coming months to fix all these issues, I hope they develop a better graphics menu. But at the moment this feels like a shockingly lazy port from the people at id I am so disappointed and regret pre-ordering. Expand
  11. Oct 7, 2011
    After several tweaks and homebrew fixes (note: from users, as of this writing no official patch has yet been released) I've managed to get Rage to at least be playable, though not bug free. Textures still pop-in from time to time, unexplained graphical glitches are commonplace and the occasional crash-to-desktop from a loading screen still occur. Enough about that though, most of theAfter several tweaks and homebrew fixes (note: from users, as of this writing no official patch has yet been released) I've managed to get Rage to at least be playable, though not bug free. Textures still pop-in from time to time, unexplained graphical glitches are commonplace and the occasional crash-to-desktop from a loading screen still occur. Enough about that though, most of the negative reviews cover that well enough. The game itself is... decent. The actual shooting portion is engaging, though super easy - you are functionally immortal due to regenerating health AND on-demand medikits. Really?? Add in a cover system and you've got the trifecta. The enemies are pretty cool, and levels are a blast to play through.... the first time. Rage commits a cardinal sin in a game by padding content with maps you play though normally, then return and play through them again either reversed or with sections blocked off. It was unacceptable in Dragon Age 2, and it's unacceptable here. The racing/driving portions are fun enough but controls are odd if you don't play with a gamepad. All in all Rage could have been a much better game without the design shortcuts and if it had actual bug testing before launch. As it stands the game doesn't have enough content (roughly 15 hours if you do all sidequests and run every race) to warrant dropping $60. If you absolutely must play it, wait until the price drops to $20-$30 probably next month. I'm uninstalling as I write this. Expand
  12. Oct 4, 2011
    As someone who WAS a loyal ID fan I am officially done with this company. The fact that they released this game in this condition is appalling. Most, if not the majority reviewers (check forums its not a localized event) have machines that are meeting or surpassing the required specs, and yet this game is completely unplayable in most respects and shows overall how ID has left pc gamersAs someone who WAS a loyal ID fan I am officially done with this company. The fact that they released this game in this condition is appalling. Most, if not the majority reviewers (check forums its not a localized event) have machines that are meeting or surpassing the required specs, and yet this game is completely unplayable in most respects and shows overall how ID has left pc gamers out to dry. Carmack has officially lost all respect in the pc community with statements like "well be sure to update your drivers and that should solve most problems"...lmao.... really John?...

If not for the screen tearing, textures failing to load, models popping on the screen for no apparent reason, flashing everything, and low fps, this may have been an awesome game, but looks like the 2 homeless guys and the chimp that they hired to port it from console to pc, may not have done the best job.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
    (or at least not until it has been completely overhauled with massive patching to even begin fixing the massive gamebreaking bugs this game has.)

ID tech 5.....more like Crap tech 5
  13. Oct 5, 2011
    A disaster. It exposes the buzzword "megatexture" for what it is -- a complete lie. There is nothing mega about this game except the mega bugs and the mega graphical issues and the mega ugly textures.
  14. op8
    Oct 15, 2011
    Quite dissapointed for lots of reasons. 1)mind numbing missions, that provide zero motivation and proper reasoning. I honestly cannot believe that who ever wrote this is a person that even enjoys playing games. I would be embarassed to put my name to this paper thin plot, and i'm sure other real gamers will agree with me.I wish they had just left out the "story" completely.2)half the timeQuite dissapointed for lots of reasons. 1)mind numbing missions, that provide zero motivation and proper reasoning. I honestly cannot believe that who ever wrote this is a person that even enjoys playing games. I would be embarassed to put my name to this paper thin plot, and i'm sure other real gamers will agree with me.I wish they had just left out the "story" completely.2)half the time textures are too muddy. 3)There is absolutely no physics effects and no destructable enviroments at all.e.g.A vase on a table is stuck to the table like a cast iron statue, and that is unacceptable. If this is the consequence of this new engine then its not worth it just to have pretty looking textures for some of the game. 4)I have the worst screen tearing i have ever seen in my life (i have a very decent nvidia based rig and have not been able to get rid of it even with all the suggested fixes and patch). On the plus side i havent had any crashes or the texture pop-in others are having and it stays a nice 60 fps.Also the character models are nice, the textures at a distance can look look fantastic, the combat is fairly satisfying, and the driving is kinda Mario Kartish.The post release update (that also includes the missing graphics options) has made stuff worse for me and taken some of the crispiness out of the good looking textures.With all the technical issues its had at release, its really not what we should be accepting from a modern AAA title. Looking at the game as a whole package, its really below average in most respects apart from graphics, and not worth paying full price for, definately reccomend waiting for price drop. Expand
  15. Oct 4, 2011
    This game has hyped to the max for 2 years. Carmack brags about this game's engine only to be infested with so much bugs and glitches that it's unplayable for most people.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 2011 Daikatana. pros: - john goodman - pretty graphics cons - horrible horrible pc optimization. artifacts, slow texture loading, blinking - consolized video setting, you can only

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 2011 Daikatana.

pros:
    - john goodman
    - pretty graphics

cons
    - horrible horrible pc optimization. artifacts, slow texture loading, blinking
    - consolized video setting, you can only change the resolution and the AA. autodetect is a sham, carmack promised 60fps gameplay but I'm getting 20-25 fps with stuttering.
    - $60 PC game
    - Carmack's solution to this problem? "lol just update your drivers, silly pc gamers"
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    $60 for a console game. The developers made no attempt to make this work on PC. PC games should never be priced at 60$ especially when the games do not work, are bad or both.
  17. Oct 4, 2011
    Intro is really neat, everything looking great, and then the game starts.

I walk out into the vast world, it looks amazing, and then I turn to the left. My textures disappear. They load back a second later though. This is a joke.

i52500/gtx460
  18. Oct 4, 2011
    Still unable to get into this POS game. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE. Both Bethsoft and Steams Rage game forums are filled with nothing but threads with players who are having massive issues with this game. ID, your shine has long lost it's luster and I will never look at you in the same shining light as a game developer.
  19. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is worthless. A lot of people are trying to blame Nvidia and especially AMD but the reality is that unless the game specifies unreleased drivers as part of the requirements, then it should function at least capably on what's already out there.
    I like many people cannot even get the game to start without a crash. If you want to see something funny go watch the videos of textures and gameplay.
    If you want a real review of the game from someone that's managed to be able to play it head over to Ars Technica. What a pathetic flop!!!
  20. Oct 4, 2011
    I cant believe how bad Id failed to deliver on this one. It had so much potential, but I'm suck with textures that disappear as soon as I look around and frame rates jump around from 20-60fps like crazy. All with almost no graphics options (res. and AA. There isn't even Vsync). I'm running this game on a 3.4Ghz Phenom II quad-core and a 6970... yet it's totally unplayable. Id can go ****I cant believe how bad Id failed to deliver on this one. It had so much potential, but I'm suck with textures that disappear as soon as I look around and frame rates jump around from 20-60fps like crazy. All with almost no graphics options (res. and AA. There isn't even Vsync). I'm running this game on a 3.4Ghz Phenom II quad-core and a 6970... yet it's totally unplayable. Id can go **** themselves. Expand
  21. Oct 4, 2011
    UNACCEPTABLE. How does this have ANY positive critic scores? That makes absolutely no sense unless these reviewers are blatantly mentally disabled.

To release a multi-platform game, priced the same as the other platforms, that is severely lacking compared to other platforms, is a CRIME and false advertising! The fact that people paid 59.99 or at best 10 dollars off that price for a game

The fact that people paid 59.99 or at best 10 dollars off that price for a game where you can't look around without seeing horrible glitchy pop-in and other texture and graphical issues, should be brought to ID's attention.

Customers should be able to get refunds for this piece of **** or at least their money back for being promised a game that WORKED PROPERLY! Once a PC developer, now a memory. Thanks for treating PC gamers as third class customers. I made an account just to review this P.O.S.
  22. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is not working. It eats up 100% CPU because it does not recognize the RAM on your video card. How could they sell a broken product?

Graphical pop-in, poor LoD distances, Artifacting, and the game freezing every few seconds for 10-15 seconds. NOT PLAYABLE. Game was also released with BROKEN DRIVERS, the Updated drivers do not fix GAME BROKEN problems. How could they sell me a

How could they sell me a broken product?
  23. Oct 4, 2011
    A game that touted its graphics. Its gameplay. Marred in glitches. The MEGA TEXTURE was reduced to comply with the poor performance of consoles. Unfortunately that reduced quality texture work made it to the PC. The game as in gameplay is a rather generic FPS with some pretty charismatic enemies. Unfortunately those enemies are in a corridor esq environment all of the time. Though it looksA game that touted its graphics. Its gameplay. Marred in glitches. The MEGA TEXTURE was reduced to comply with the poor performance of consoles. Unfortunately that reduced quality texture work made it to the PC. The game as in gameplay is a rather generic FPS with some pretty charismatic enemies. Unfortunately those enemies are in a corridor esq environment all of the time. Though it looks like open world, it is in all reality a DOOM with a sun roof. If you are in the market for this game stay away until they Patch it, Enhance it, and update the graphics settings to comply with todays pcs. Carmack was interviewed recently and expressed his regret in making the game simultaneously for the pc and consoles, due to the fact that pc kept multiplying in power over the 6 years they took to make the game, the game suffered from having to choose between the horse power of the pc or the 50 million sold xbox and PS3s, they chose the latter and it shows. . Unfortunately, until the issues of the horrid textures (at it's best Prey at it's worst comparable to shenmue), the graphical anomalies, the no settings attributes and perhaps even the less then enthralling environments on which the game has you duke it out with its foes. It remains a game locked in the past with DOOM 3 hiding under a ruble of it's own ambition, an ambition marred by 6 year old tech Expand
  24. Oct 4, 2011
    I have a high end gaming pc with the latest driver and this game is unplayable...Crashes all of the time. Not to mention the textures suck and pop in issues.
  25. Oct 4, 2011
    WOW! I would be emberrased to have shown my face if I was ID. This console port is a joke. They spent NO time on it. Also the textures are a joke you have on decent (not good) texture right next to one that is a complete blur. No graphics settings. You have to force Vsync externally. What a joke.

Oh also: Bugs, Bugs, Bugs... Oh and some more bugs.
  26. Oct 4, 2011
    WOO 60$ down the drain . Boring so far , maybe it will get better as i play , , no atmopheric sound track . Compare to Fallout or dead island this games extremely sucks . For young kids , Pegi 18 is stupidly rated, hardcore as Mary poppins , a SOFT ware indeed as toliet paper . The details of graphics simply vanish when you move arround , what a trick to save processing power , iWOO 60$ down the drain . Boring so far , maybe it will get better as i play , , no atmopheric sound track . Compare to Fallout or dead island this games extremely sucks . For young kids , Pegi 18 is stupidly rated, hardcore as Mary poppins , a SOFT ware indeed as toliet paper . The details of graphics simply vanish when you move arround , what a trick to save processing power , i think that, the objective of that games was to make a games that could be played on ipad or i phones or zune , THIS GAMES IS NOT FOR SERIOUS GAMERS . And LOL the vehicules action is completely childish , hahahahahaha i have just financed the future of iphone gaming . ...... lets be positive , for new gamers it should be fun . BUT FOR serious gamers , very very brown ! OH MY GOD . have we all lost testosterone ? Expand
  27. Oct 4, 2011
    PC version review only. The game looks beautiful...when standing still. When I move though, the graphics become choppy. I'll mention that I could not load the game until ATI came up with a post-release graphic fix; there have been many ATI owners who have this problem. In time it will probably be fixed. Technical difficulties abound.
    Gameplay. From playing for a few hours, the AI mobs are
    Gameplay. From playing for a few hours, the AI mobs are great; combat rolls, wall bounding, general dodging to avoid my aiming. The quest line at the beginning was confusing; some guy rescues you and asks you to rescue the town? Why did you put your neck out in the first place? Perhaps that will be revealed later. No world or region map; just a small minimap in the upper corner. Voice acting is pretty good. Quests have been the typical go here, do this, come back for a reward and the advancement of the story. The game is very beautiful, just had to say that again (the only great thing going for it).
    Many people are saying it is a console port; I can believe it because the menu, graphical interface options are all very limited when compared to other computer games. I would suggest all PC buyers wait until a price drop to buy the game, console buyers would probably be fine with purchasing the game as it currently is.
  28. Oct 4, 2011
    A thoroughly enjoyable game. It has all the plus points - good gameplay, impressive graphics, great music. I cannot wait to complete the game with all the possible side quests. John Carmack has given one more winner.
  29. Oct 4, 2011
    The Good

Sound design is excellent. Shotgun blasts are superb, kachink sound from crossbow is dead on. Music and accompanying mood is great. I actually got scared even though there was nothing to be scared of just from the music alone. Art direction is almost original. Gameplay is excellent. That shotgun is amazing! Enemies are varied. Great care put into animation noted. The Bad 25Gb
    The Good

The Bad

25Gb install size and all I get are blurry textures. Spin around too fast and the LOD is a split second behind. You will actually see ultra blurry textures. It's only for a split second but it is detracting from the realism of the game.

The Ugly

Don't be fooled by the "auto detect your hardware to maintain 60fps." That's just market speak for "Console Port." The menus are clunky, mouse is erratic when turning down sensitivity to low (essential for the 5600 DPI gamers out there), and no graphic settings. On a 570 the textures are on par with Crysis on Medium. I know it's 60 fps but who wants to play that when I could boot up Time crysis. Now there is an epic scale to the game, the vistas are downright gorgeous from afar, but it only gives the illusion of scale. The fact is, the game is linear through and through. And when it isn't, it's because it's sending you to backtrack for fetch quests.

This game is prolly awesome for the ageing consoles. But the PS2-like textures on a high end graphics card is a deal breaker. If they the gamers are allowed to see those high res textures, this game could have been better, but as is, it just appears to be a waste of 25 gigs.
  30. Oct 4, 2011
    Graphics are well done so are the animations, thats really all this game has going for it. Over the last decade we are noticing more and more games turning into plane old shooters nothing more. This game is clearly only for those who like to run and gun and ignore everything else. Loot is not exciting at all, its find ammo and things to open doors for more ammo. There is not alot ofGraphics are well done so are the animations, thats really all this game has going for it. Over the last decade we are noticing more and more games turning into plane old shooters nothing more. This game is clearly only for those who like to run and gun and ignore everything else. Loot is not exciting at all, its find ammo and things to open doors for more ammo. There is not alot of originality to this game just alot of repetitive action. We have all already played games like this we should all save 60$$. Expand

1. Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]