5.1

1. Apr 25, 2015
    Those who played Doom and Quake way back when will remember the fun that was blasting enemies into oblivion with an assortment of weapons, ranging from mundane to downright crazy. Perhaps this is the reason why Rage wears the name "iD Software" so proudly, stating on the box art as being from the creators of Doom and Quake - and indeed, the game offers a very similar experience, with someThose who played Doom and Quake way back when will remember the fun that was blasting enemies into oblivion with an assortment of weapons, ranging from mundane to downright crazy. Perhaps this is the reason why Rage wears the name "iD Software" so proudly, stating on the box art as being from the creators of Doom and Quake - and indeed, the game offers a very similar experience, with some modern twists, and the result is, at the very least, enjoyable.

The main story of Rage revolves around the player character, a survivor of an experiment by the U.S. government known as the Eden Project, designed to repopulate the Earth after a cataclysmic event which destroyed most of civilisation, awakening 106 years after being put in stasis, and being unwittingly dragged into a fight between the warring Authority, who are attempting to sieze control of the remaining settlements of Earth, and the Resistance, whose name should probably speak for themselves. This plot might be a bit bland, but Rage's fun lies not in its plot, but in its gameplay. The game certainly spares no expense with regards to action during its missions, which usually see you shooting large numbers of enemies with a large variety of weapons, which can be strategically used in tandem with each other. It's for this reason that, as stated before, I compare Rage favourably with games such as Doom and Quake, though equally favourable comparisons can also be made to Borderlands for its setting and Mad Max for the driving.

The game's certainly not grounded in the past, however - there are various features which drag the classic shooter into the age of modern gaming, such as a lives system of sorts implemented through a "defibrilator" mini-game, an open-world setting and and a vehicle mechanic, with the player unlocking better vehicles as they progress in the game. The driving in this game feels surprisingly fluid - It feels really satisfying to empty your Boost gauge whilst speeding through the game's deserted wastelands. The game also incorporates a vehicular combat system, though the weapons for this mode are not quite as diverse as thse for the main game, being limited to a mostly-ineffective Minigun, rockets, and a pulse weapon later on in the game.

Aside from the large variety of weapons available to the player in the game, each weapon also has various ammunition types, for instance an assault rifle has a standard round and a more powerful round, a shotgun has standard buckshot, an explosive "pop-rocket" round and a pulse round, and the game's Pistol has not only bulllets of increasing damage, but also Killbursts - the best description for which I can give comes from in-game: "Bullets within bullets within bullets, and they all fire at once." This gives the game slightly more diversity, making things a little more interesting by allowing players to play more strategically - Should I blast my way through with my ordinary Shotgun cartridges or do I blow them to pieces with my Pop Rockets?

There are some criticisms to be made - as I've said before, the story is quite bland and some of the open-world segments feel a bit forced, particularly the colonies which serve as a break-point of sorts between missions. Also, in spite of all the ammo types available, money is not easy enough to come by in the game world to actually be able to take advantage of all of them at once, requiring players to specialise at some point. Also quite annoying is the fact that there is no HUD when inside the game's aforementioned colonies, making it difficult to work out where it is you're meant to be going when some missions require you to visit a particular area within the colonies, necessitating wandering around aimlessly for a while trying to work out where the hell it is you're supposed to go. Perhaps one could also argue that some of the modernisations made to the game just seem arbitrary, from the plot to basic things like iron sights, which in some situations just aren't necessary.

All in all, the enjoyability of Rage depends on what you want from it. If you're looking for a deep story experience, then this is probably not the game for you. If, however, you enjoyed games the likes of Doom, Painkiller, Serious Sam and Duke Nukem 3D and are looking for a similar experience updated for a modern age, then Rage will be happy to provide you with a generous helping of over-the-top, rip-roaring action that will surely sustain one's appetite for death and destruction.
  2. Mar 14, 2015
    id Software has lost all the talent. Now they cannot implement properly any driving dynamics, cannot process a headshot and cannot understand why nobody buys their **** software.

RAGE is just a bad copy of Fallout, rushed to market without any polish.

Boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring and repetitive.
  3. Mar 5, 2015
    I would say Rage is decent game. Lack of story was quite disappointing and made me think "that's it?" when last cutscene came to end campaign. Combat was just going forward and shooting everyone, but good amount of different guns and other combat items made it pretty fun. Also racing was very fun and my absolute favorite was rocket rally.

Lack of story bothered me the most in this game,

Lack of story bothered me the most in this game, but still Rage is good time for 10h.
  4. Mar 1, 2015
    That games is just stunning. Amazing graphics, Great AI , opponents are doing amazing tricks and tactics to avoid your bullets . for each group of enemies you need to use different tactics. For example for mutants for me it was better to use fists and Wingstick :D . Weapons have different ammo which gives a really wide and varied tactical possibilities. For example Striker Crossbow has aThat games is just stunning. Amazing graphics, Great AI , opponents are doing amazing tricks and tactics to avoid your bullets . for each group of enemies you need to use different tactics. For example for mutants for me it was better to use fists and Wingstick :D . Weapons have different ammo which gives a really wide and varied tactical possibilities. For example Striker Crossbow has a steel-triped bolts ,electro bolts , mind control bolts, dynamite bolts :D . Graphics is so grade that very often I just stoped to admire the landscape. Minus is a lack of big bosses . There is only one and few smallest guys . The games is quite easy do I recommended to take something higher then normal level of difficulty Expand
  5. Feb 1, 2015
    Awesome game, like a Doom meet Mad Max feel. The weapons are punchy, the graphics are great (I see all the attacks on the pop-in, but find it amusing since there's actually less of that in RAGE than in Wolfenstein the New World Order which got rave user reviews. The world is amazingly well done, fantastic voice acting, great post-apocalyptic backdrop really sells the game world. They evenAwesome game, like a Doom meet Mad Max feel. The weapons are punchy, the graphics are great (I see all the attacks on the pop-in, but find it amusing since there's actually less of that in RAGE than in Wolfenstein the New World Order which got rave user reviews. The world is amazingly well done, fantastic voice acting, great post-apocalyptic backdrop really sells the game world. They even have John Goodman! I'm not much of a car game guy, which is not the biggest part of the game, but I still found myself enjoying it with all the upgrades. For a shooter there is so much to do here it's amazing; gambling, racing, shooting, optional side missions, upgrading your gear; it's apparent John Carmack and id put a lot of love into this game. I found this game much more fun than borderlands, but I'm an old school shooter so maybe that's why; plus RAGE's graphics are much better than Borderlands'. Yeah, it's not Crysis 3, but hey pretty good still. If you are an old school shooter or a fan of the Mad Max movies, then play this game: IT IS A FREAKING BLAST. Concerning performance issues listed here; I have had no issues on the following systems:
    i7 960 with GTX 660 3GB at 1600x900
    i7 960 with GTX 780 at 1920x1080 and 2560x1440
    i7 4770K with R9 290X and R9 290X Crossfire at 2560x1440
    i7 5930K with GTX 780TI and GTX 780TI SLI at 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 with max AA.
    My average FPS at 4K with 780TI SLI was 49 FPS, considering that high a resolution with max AA, not bad at all.
    BLUF: If you didn't like the old school shooters then this isn't for you; if you did then it is.
  6. Jan 31, 2015
    It's just like Borderlands, but with a buggy engine, which draws up the scenery in front of your eyes no matter how good your rig is. Very irritating. Other than that, the graphics would look good (nothing special, though, but at least I had a solid FPS). Some more cons include: xbox controller buttons shown everywhere, even if you play using keyboard+mouse and you don't even have aIt's just like Borderlands, but with a buggy engine, which draws up the scenery in front of your eyes no matter how good your rig is. Very irritating. Other than that, the graphics would look good (nothing special, though, but at least I had a solid FPS). Some more cons include: xbox controller buttons shown everywhere, even if you play using keyboard+mouse and you don't even have a controller, no healthbar, a basic story set-up which looks interesting at first, but than you just got some random missions (maybe there is some story later, but I've given up after the first few missions).

SUM: It's just a random consol-port fps set up in a mad max-like world.
  7. Jan 5, 2015
    RAGE is not something like Doom or Wolfenstein which we will remember after 20 years, but it's definitely not a bad game. The post apocalyptic theme is good, but not as good as Fallout or Borderlands. This game doesn't give you much freedom, more than that it's very linear. You don't have any motivation through the game, the ending is horrible, but after all the whole game is working. YouRAGE is not something like Doom or Wolfenstein which we will remember after 20 years, but it's definitely not a bad game. The post apocalyptic theme is good, but not as good as Fallout or Borderlands. This game doesn't give you much freedom, more than that it's very linear. You don't have any motivation through the game, the ending is horrible, but after all the whole game is working. You can carry a lot of weapons with yourself with a lot of ammunation which remind me to the old ID games. The AI is aggressive, challenging and it's keep up the interest through the 10-12 hour campaign, which is very, VERY SHORT! I have to admit the PC port is horrible. The high poly textures are need time to load which **** frustrating and the IdTech 5 engine just outdated. It worth 5 euros during a sale, but i don't have the motivation to replay it in the next few years. Not a bad game, but not as good as it could be. Expand
  8. Jan 3, 2015
    ID software made the fps genre. Lately they are over passed by other companies. Rage can be seen as such an example. The game takes place in a Mad Max kind of setting and the graphics are good but not excellent. As always with ID games the weaponry is good so shooting is fun. Negative points are lack of story; RPG element is hardly existing and especially the vehicle experience. NowID software made the fps genre. Lately they are over passed by other companies. Rage can be seen as such an example. The game takes place in a Mad Max kind of setting and the graphics are good but not excellent. As always with ID games the weaponry is good so shooting is fun. Negative points are lack of story; RPG element is hardly existing and especially the vehicle experience. Now suddenly you swap to a 3th person perspective which breaks the atmosphere. Also the driving is hard and mostly I got killed in those car wars.

On launch in 2011 it crashed many videocard drivers but I didn't have any trouble in 2013.
  9. Dec 28, 2014
    It was a console port, but it looked good and I enjoyed up to the point where a racing game was forced on me. A racing game I hate by default (I've bargained for an fps...) and even it that field it is a joke. Stupid controls that are not working, dumb physics and again: it is forced on you. If you put sh.t in your game, please let me skip it. Like in LA Noire.
    I left the game at the 1st
    I left the game at the 1st race I could not win after 3-4 tries. That made me hate the whole thing. If I die in an fps, I do it over and over again, but not with racing (that is uncontrollable).
    If you sell a game for the pc, please port it to the pc. I would not call this a port, it's a console game that uses keyboard.
  10. Dec 27, 2014
    I really want to give this game a 10 for the fighting mechanics, but it has too many flaws.
    -Why are there so many invisible walls? It looks like a big open area but it moves like I'm in Doom 3 or something.
    -The driving is just stupid. It's like the game is asking me to pay a time and effort toll to play the damn game. -Why do the character animations look so weird? Everybody acts like
    -Why do the character animations look so weird? Everybody acts like they're in a Disney cartoon. Tons of facial expressions and hand talking. Normal people don't act like that. If I ask for help at Home Depot or Walmart, the employee doesn't make weird gestures and faces while talking.
    -It feels very much like a low quality console game where someone had a list of things to include in the game. Driving, we need that. Our game also needs a store, and players should be forced to use the store because ammo isn't overly abundant. And it needs a questing system. And it needs a crafting system. It almost looks like the game started as Doom 3 then someone hastily tried to make it more like Fallout.
    -The controls are rather odd. You use the F# keys to set your optional item and hit Q to use the item. That's fine and all, but why is a grenade considered one of the items? Shouldn't the grenade be the G key so I can throw wing stings with the Q key? Of course not. You're forced to set the item to grenade then hit Q to throw a grenade. Strangely, buttons F and G are used for previous weapon and next weapon instead of a more logical wing sting and grenade.
    -It feels like the game gets in the way of playing the game. I'm forced to talk to characters I don't care about, help people I don't care about, drive to places I don't care about. Exploring seems to be discouraged. It's the exact opposite of Fallout.
    -I've only played this for 4 hours, but it feels like I've only shot at things for 20 minutes. The rest of the time is driving and talking. The game simply lacks fun.
    -Why are the game's opening movies not skippable? The game loads twice as fast if you remove the .bik files from the game's video folder.
    -Why does v-sync turn off if I alt tab out of the game?
  11. Dec 16, 2014
    Great old fashioned FPS, an interesting selection of weapons - robot-car-bombs for instance, this is a game to be played on hard level, if you're someone who plays games on the easy setting then don't bother you'll get bored. This game can be frustratingly hard but that's somehow what makes it so satisfying when you beat the enemies. Graphically this game is a mixed bag, mostly it'sGreat old fashioned FPS, an interesting selection of weapons - robot-car-bombs for instance, this is a game to be played on hard level, if you're someone who plays games on the easy setting then don't bother you'll get bored. This game can be frustratingly hard but that's somehow what makes it so satisfying when you beat the enemies. Graphically this game is a mixed bag, mostly it's awesome but there are a couple of spots that look a bit too nineties. No 'bad-port' issues, I don't recall any buggyness. Grab it cheap if you like shooting tough enemies. Expand
  12. Oct 29, 2014
    A little disappointed with this game.

I was hoping for something similar to fallout with large explorable areas. But it turned out to be quite a linear FPS style game. It is quite similar to borderlands, but even borderlands has wide open areas and a lot more freedom of travel. Rage has no wide open areas, not very explorable at all. Way too linear for my liking. Not a bad game,
    A little disappointed with this game.

Not a bad game, technically brilliant, well made, I enjoyed it initially but it is missing character, substance, storyline.
    I stopped playing it a quarter way through simply because I got bored..

13. Aug 26, 2014
    This game is kind of a mixed bag. It is a nice first person experience but kind of a jack of all traits - but master of none. It is not the fast paced, mindless action shooter that a game like Quake 2 is. It is not a semi action adventure ( or whatever it is called ) like Borderlands with character progression and looting.

It is not an adventure or so - it is a mix of all - and whatever

It is not an adventure or so - it is a mix of all - and whatever genre you like - you ll experience shortcomings.

The open world is an illusion, the levels are claustrophobic at times. It feels like a chain of arenas, connected by narrow tunnels. The enemy AI is surprisingly poor - and can only really benefit from restricting the player to those very small arenas, because if the player was allowed to use the enviroment like it is possible in games like Fallout 3 or Borderlands 2 ... even the big bosses would fail misrably.

the AI ( at least so far ) does not allow any other playstyle but to charge into the battle, guns blazing. ( crouching and using a silenced weapon to kill enemies one by one does not work, because the AI kind of cheats to find you - and then rushes you anyway.

the wasteland driving sections are ... well... alright, but become kind of a chore. - but they are not worse than other driving sections in other open world games ( actually, the only game i can compare it to is borderlands - and compared to that - it is actually very good )

the graphics are also a mixed bag. - as far as i remember, the game uses a somewhat innovative technique ( megatextures? - cannot really remember ) - meaning that we are not graced too much with repeating UV textures especially in the overworld - and the world does look very good indeed. - at least in terms of a desolate desert wasteland - it is probably the most beautiful depiction in any 3d game i have seen so far. - amazing skybox and very good sand and stone texture. The building textures are not as good though - and the detail ( mesh ) of the world is also a bit low resolute.

what annoyed me the very most are the invisible walls. - i simply HATE it when my character cannot seem to jump over a knee-high boulder, a fence or walk through a bush of tall grass?!

maybe i am spoiled by real open world games - but i noticed it very much in that game.

UI and gameplay is alright, not brilliant, but ok

resumé:

the game tries hard to please as many players as possible by being something it is not, an open world, action adventure rpg. - it is not even a true action shooter. - it is fun though - and i would compare it to borderlands 1 in terms of "good ideas and execution"
    it does suffer from technical problems ( tearing, texture pop ins etc. ) - but all in all it is worth a budget price.
  14. Aug 19, 2014
    The technical showcase of the IdTech 5 engine, and a solid FPS game in its own right.

The premise of the game is pretty well set up. You survived an apocalyptic asteroid impact and emerge from your cocoon into a world radically changed by this event. Now I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction, so this review may come across as slightly biased. The storyline in and of itself is

The storyline in and of itself is fairly good, well written, with some memorable characters. But it's not by any means genre-defining.

The graphics are the main draw of RAGE. Featuring IDTech 5, it introduces a new rendering concept called "Megatexturing", in which instead of a multitude of textures comprising a game world, the world of RAGE is rendered with one massive texture over everything in the environment. An ambitious method, for sure.

However, this technique is still very new, so there are a lot of quirks in the game such as texture pop-in and a green tint in dark environments. Not to mention that in order for the game to be able to run decently on most consumer hardware, the textures had to be greatly compressed from their original state, and the effects do show sometimes.

One effect from this compression might be the aforementioned green tint, but also the textures in general may look fairly muddy and blurry, especially on consoles and lower-end hardware on PC.

As Megatextures use a new transcoding method to render objects, SLI and Crossfire are not supported. The game will not even recognize anything beyond one GPU. I'm fairly optimistic that ID Software will address this with future titles though (I can't comment on Wolfenstein: New Order, as I have yet to play it myself on my SLI computer).

But I digress...

The gameplay itself is very solid and quite fun. ID Software is a master of the FPS genre, so as expected, the gunplay is extremely well presented and gives a visceral experience as enemies realistically react to localized damage.

The multiplayer, however, feels a tacked on. But I had a lot of fun with co-op.

I bought the game while it was on sale on Newegg back in late 2011, and I enjoyed the experience quite a bit.
  15. Aug 1, 2014
    The early parts of the game were great. Progress was well paced with enemies and weapons slowly becoming more powerful to compliment one another.

But about half way through the game that all stops. No more fun boss fights. No more interesting level design. It's like they just give up. It even ends rather abruptly. I saved my ammo for a final fight that never came and was "treated" to a short, unsatisfying 20 second clip of the results of my underwhelming final level.

Graphically this game is gorgeous, it's hard to fault now that it's been patched and smoothed out, but if you're expecting satisfaction, then i hope you enjoy tech demo's, because that's all this really is.
  16. Jul 28, 2014
    The game is a solid 9 for me, but to balance the "0"-votings, i rate it a 10.

The game is a solid 9 for me, but to balance the "0"-votings, i rate it a 10.

Playing this game again at the moment and having a blast with it. Superb gunplay, intense atmosphere and well designed characters! The engine is realy impressive, you never see the same barrel or garbage twice, every location is unique. The buildings interiors are top notch, it feels so real! Sure, the engine has it's downsides, so you will see some blurry textures here and there, but who cares? When you digging in the sewers and you can almost smell the **** and be immersed into the game!

For me this game is a clearly underrated gem. Imagine Rage with the mechanics from a Fallout New Vegas, more items, hunger and thirst! This would be my dream-game :-)

The story in Rage is ok for a shooter, but don't expect some heavy plot here. But that's not really important. The world is unique, beautiful, lots of places to explore, tune your guns and cars, speak with the natives, do quests, take on some races and enjoy some great hours of gameplay!
  17. Jun 29, 2014
    Rage is a good game, I dont know what people hate about it. May be not one of the greats of all time but it definitely is a good game. There are much worser games out there. This game was good graphics and much fun, nice atmosphere and sound so everything is right with this one.
  18. Jun 17, 2014
    I've got say that this is a hidden gem. It's been out for long enough now that the video issues are long since gone. It runs super smooth on my AMD system, which is great because it sure is a beautiful game

I bought it a while back on sale on Steam. I had other games to play and forgot about it. Came across it last week and after reading the mixed reviews decided to give it a go. I'm totally glad I did.

It's a great shooter and has a little of the open-world that I love. If I decide to follow the plot I can. If I want to do the side missions I can.

But let's be honest it's no Borderlands. There are tons of limitation on where you can go. The missions are very linear with very few regions for exploration. Thankfully they are usually short so you don't get too stuck following the same track.

There is tons of driving. I loved it, but felt like it was forced upon you too much. It can be a lot of fun shooting while driving, but there is a lot of it.

Don't get me wrong this is a great game and will provide hours of shoot-em up fun. But it does lack that sense of finish after playing other games. Hence the 8.

Grab it on sale if you can, it's a worthy addition to any game library. I've got a race to win now so I can get the parts I need.
  19. Jun 14, 2014
    This is my personal experience with the PC version of this game. Rage. Is. Awesome! Gun fights rock! Driving and blowing stuff up, Rocks! The NPC's are very well done. Everything is sooo beautiful. The game just looks fantastic.

If you haven't you have to buy the add on RAGE: The Scorchers. Why? Two Reasons. #1 Sarah, #2 The nail gun (whoopidy doo right? nope it has a rail gun attachment that lets you see through walls and shoot through said walls and completely disintegrate most foes! Which ROCKS by the way!

I had so much fun playing this game. I have enjoyed at least 4 different play throughs and would highly recommend this game to others.

The only faults in the game is I wish I could interact more with certain NPC's. I don't mean sexually.
  20. Jun 10, 2014
    Before I start reviewing the game itself, I would like to say, that with the latest 1.3 patch the game runs fine on a R9 270. There are some minor frame rate drops here and there, some texture pop-ins, but overall the performance is passable, so at least id took the horrible release problems into account. Now, a friend of mine told me about "Rage" about a year ago, but I never reallyBefore I start reviewing the game itself, I would like to say, that with the latest 1.3 patch the game runs fine on a R9 270. There are some minor frame rate drops here and there, some texture pop-ins, but overall the performance is passable, so at least id took the horrible release problems into account. Now, a friend of mine told me about "Rage" about a year ago, but I never really looked into it until recently. I had just completed "Borderlands" and I was curious if there were other games, which attempted this interesting mixture of open world and FPS (besides the new "Fallout" games) and this game came to my attention. To my surprise, it was made by id, the company which started the FPS genre in the first place. Despite the mixed reviews, I decided to give the game a chance. Perhaps, I thought, it was the poor release that spoiled may gamers' experience. The first impression the game made on me was a good one, suspenseful opening cutscene, intriguing visual design, especially when it comes to NPCs, however the game's numerous flaws quickly become apparent and at a certain point you come to a disappointing conclusion- the game is simply not fun. It's like a big, shiny firecracker that turns out to be a dud. The first thing you are going to notice is that the game doesn't even make an attempt at a story, or any promising development and immediately turns into a string of uninspired kill x, fetch x, bring x to y quests, even less varied than in "Borderlands" .Now I'm not saying I expected a movie grade masterpiece here, but come on, what was the point of that suspenseful CG cutscene if it doesn't amount to anything but a bunch of fetch/kill quests. Regardless of much money they spent on that cutscene, it was better spent elsewhere. Characters look interesting, but are bland as vanilla ice cream. Just soulless husks that give you quests. You will probably remember their distinct features instead of their names (the guy with the green shades, the chick with the boomerang and so on) . Your main character,however, has the most uninspired look you could think. He really, really reminds me of another equally uninspired d*ck - James Vega from " Mass Effect 3" and that is someone who I really don't want to remember. Oh and hes is mute and has no free will, no surprise there. But it's a FPS, you won't be seeing much of him. Characters and plot are not crucial to a good FPS, however- the combat and game mechanics are the meat of the game. Well, the combat was a mixed bag for me. Since "Rage" was made by veterans of the FPS genre, I expected an oldschool, fast paced Shooter with greater freedom for exploration. Well tough luck, the game is a MODERN FPS through and through. It has it all - the regenerating health, reliance on cover. Now, at least the execution was okay, combat feels fluent, more fast-paced than most tactical first person shooters. Ammo types were a nice addition. The weapons were a huge disappointment for me - a sawed-off shotgun, a magnum revolver, an AK, this is the best they could come up with? One of the most important elements of any good FPS game is having access to an arsenal of badass guns, the more unique the weapons are, the more memorable the game is.Probably the only creatively designed weapon was the boomerang,which wasn't really a weapon, just secondary equipment. Another big issue was the difficulty. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, but nightmare,as i found out was the optimal difficulty for me. And i still refrained from using med-packs. Exploration is very minimal, I wouldn't even compare it to "Borderlands" (which had a lot of corridor sections), it's more like the you get in "Bioshock". The only difference is that the corridors are longer, so you're forced to use the game's vehicles, which, to be honest, were ok in terms of handling, but I felt they were just there for padding out the game. Speaking of that, the game is rather short, you' ll probably clock in at around 14 hours with most side activities done. There is almost no character progression. You can unlock schematics for the engineering system, which feels tacked-on and completely pointless. I hate the UI, I really do. Now this may seem like nitpicking, but it becomes progressively more and more annoying as you play the game. The design of the interface looks incredibly bland with a tint of putrid green as an added bonus, unnecessary mouse acceleration that can only be turned off by fiddling with .ini filie, horrible and very console-focused inventory/equip system, they basically did a CnP from "Borderlands", reversed the layout and added a new tab for junk items. Overall "Rage" wasn't really a bad game. It just feels very underdeveloped (despite the long development cycle) and unsure exactly what it wants to be. There is little replay value, due to the low difficulty and lack of character development/ equipment variety/ exploration. Expand
  21. Jun 6, 2014
    The good: the graphics are brilliant, though a decent video card is required (mine is a GTX 560), many missions are quite brilliant, driving is enjoyable, animations are magnificent, the enemies respond vibrantly to your shots and their movement patterns make them interesting to fight, as well as their brilliant AI.

The bad: missions are more linear than the ones in CoD, the story

The bad: missions are more linear than the ones in CoD, the story characters and ending are tremendously disappointing, they're all as interesting as a wet carrot on a stick, quite horrible, all the RPG elements are executed poorly, they only get in the way of the game's core gameplay and are a massive time sink and some enemies are a bit bullet spongy. Also there's horrible mouse acceleration.
  22. Apr 26, 2014
    For PC, this game lives up to its name, as it brings unreal amounts of frustration and hatred towards the dev's at iD.

I'm giving it a 1 because it's a fun game, but a only a 1 because it's a game that you can barely play (If you're able to play it at all). I've never, ever, EVER played a port so excruciatingly bad in my entire life The adventure begins at the menu as you struggle

I've never, ever, EVER played a port so excruciatingly bad in my entire life
    The adventure begins at the menu as you struggle to have your cursor move smoothly, as it likes stopping in place, more than it does moving.

I truly believe that the dev's had one person test this game for 15 minutes, and left the buyers to continue testing the game, only for there to be no final, working version.
  23. Mar 15, 2014
    This game had a bad launch and was practically buried in bad reviews when it came out. This is unfortunate now, because Rage is actually a brilliant, though flawed game, that very nearly rises to the level of the two games it most closely emulates: Fallout 3 and Borderlands. In a comparison of the three games Rage comes in as the third place contender for post-apocalyptic fun. WHY? WellThis game had a bad launch and was practically buried in bad reviews when it came out. This is unfortunate now, because Rage is actually a brilliant, though flawed game, that very nearly rises to the level of the two games it most closely emulates: Fallout 3 and Borderlands. In a comparison of the three games Rage comes in as the third place contender for post-apocalyptic fun. WHY? Well three reasons really. (1) The explorable 'world' of Rage is too small. (2) The role playing elements of the game (leveling up, gaining skill increases and perks) don't exist. (3) The scenario and writing is too generic and lack-luster. This is slightly sad as the environmental art, level design and combat AI in this game are really great. Id Software got a lot of the elements right. However without exploration, an exciting plot or character building to motivate players the player base quickly declined and the game was forgotten. Id should have looked deeper at what motivates gamers to play games. A bigger world. A better story. More sense of forging your own identity with your character (aka role playing). Buy this game on sale and enjoy its overall excellence. For achievement hunters good luck getting four of a kind playing poker! The mini-games in Rage are TERRIBLY boring for poor suffering completionists.

Orctowngrot
  24. Mar 2, 2014
    A solid game, with a fun open world style--though somewhat linear in this "openworlded-ness".

Enjoyable dystopian feel, with a sense of character empowerment both by action and gear. A solid game, but not a "must play". I was sort of shocked by the high number of bad reviews. I wonder if it had issues when it was first released? It may be helpful to search reviews by date to

A solid game, but not a "must play". I was sort of shocked by the high number of bad reviews. I wonder if it had issues when it was first released? It may be helpful to search reviews by date to determine if the low reviews are clustered close to release date (I haven't done this myself, but it might be of use.)
  25. Jan 21, 2014
    I've actually had few graphical issues with this game, runs well on my system. I had a crash at startup for about a month until it cleared up for unknown reasons. Yet the real issue with this game, for me, is that it's very, very boring. I completely lost interest after just a couple hours.... and I'm not one to just leave a game unfinished. Although the shooty side of the game wasI've actually had few graphical issues with this game, runs well on my system. I had a crash at startup for about a month until it cleared up for unknown reasons. Yet the real issue with this game, for me, is that it's very, very boring. I completely lost interest after just a couple hours.... and I'm not one to just leave a game unfinished. Although the shooty side of the game was relatively satisfying, the missions were redundant. The story is immediately disengaging. The town and characters are like Borderlands 2 clones... I'm serious... it's remarkable how similar they are. Crafting is clunky and unenjoyable. Some missions send you to the same place several times to kill the same guys only for a different quest item. It's, actually, a lot like playing a more realistic looking Borderlands but without all things that made it fun.... Expand
  26. Jan 20, 2014
    As a PC port, this game fails on a technical level due to ugly textures. It will make anyone sad to see how little the distributor cared for giving us a PC version as this really looks like a rushed job. What’s even sadder is that even if the graphics were on par with the console versions, the game would still fall flat. Regardless of what version you are playing, you will be given a veryAs a PC port, this game fails on a technical level due to ugly textures. It will make anyone sad to see how little the distributor cared for giving us a PC version as this really looks like a rushed job. What’s even sadder is that even if the graphics were on par with the console versions, the game would still fall flat. Regardless of what version you are playing, you will be given a very lackluster game which tried to be so much more than the sum of its parts, but falls flat. This is a mission based shooter where you are given a quest, and must ride your vehicle to the right base and shoot everyone in your way to complete it. You slowly upgrade your load out to be better at completing these quests. It is the same thing all the time though and because there is very little overarching story, you never feel compelled to do as you are told and carry out whatever you must do. It is not much of an open world either, so it’s not like you can ignore the quests you don’t like and play as you wish at your own rhythm. The fact that there is little freedom and yet asks that you travel from every mission back to a base kills any momentum and pacing the story may have. This would have worked much better as a linear corridor shooter (like Bulletstorm) or a truly open world shooter/RPG (like Borderlands) but instead we have something attempting to be a bit of both yet lacks the strengths of either. Imagine a less open Borderlands 2 with much less class, character and load out customization with no world map and devoid of humour or personality and you get Rage. And if you are playing on PC then add horrid texture pop in issues to that.
    I will give it one thing though, this is the best AI I ever faced this side of Binary Domain. I was very impressed with how aware the enemy AI was of my tactics and their reactions to my actions (like dodging or ducking when they see me aim or raise my weapon). I would have loved to face this AI in a better game.
  27. Jan 8, 2014
    I've played this game countless amount of times, twice on my PS3 and many more times on my laptop, I liked the story line a lot, graphics were impressive, and it worked nicely on my very slow laptop, it has impressive features, but there are boring parts that can bring down the rating, but over all very good game, i understand there are a lot of bugs, and I mean A LOT. However, if you areI've played this game countless amount of times, twice on my PS3 and many more times on my laptop, I liked the story line a lot, graphics were impressive, and it worked nicely on my very slow laptop, it has impressive features, but there are boring parts that can bring down the rating, but over all very good game, i understand there are a lot of bugs, and I mean A LOT. However, if you are able to run it without a game breaking glitch like me then it should be a fun experience. Easy 8/10 recommend trying! Expand
  28. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm giving this game 1 point for living up to its name. By the time I was done I felt a bit of rage.
    Story/dialogue: Really weak. The mayor of "Subway Town" is supposed to be this big bad ass you have to impress to be able to stay around, then a couple missions later "The Authority" shows up and he is gone. No explanation, no resolution, he is just gone. I would assume he is dead, but the writers couldn't be bothered to actually write the story. Then the ending... wow such fail. Even though throughout the game you see the Arks as broken down and mostly full of dead people, the end of the game is when you make the rest of the Arks around the world surface. End scene. Really, look it up, it sucks. Even if we assume that the other Arks worked, why would they join the resistance against the stupid authority? Why does the game end without actually winning the war?
    Gameplay: Mostly boring. This is an area with so much missed potential. All of the different ammo types and little killing machines you can craft should have been awesome, but they just didn't work out. RC bombs always get shot before they reach their target, and the armor "effective" ammo is anything but. Also, why does it take precisely 2 perfectly aimed sniper headshots to kill a guy, when you clearly see a good liter of blood fly out of his head on the first one? Why does it take more than one point blank shotgun blast to the face to kill an un-armored human? This is what I call artificially inflating the difficulty and killing any possible fun. The lack of a map in towns is just ridiculous. I had a story mission to turn in to "Carlson" after taking a break from the game for a couple months, and with no map, no nav points, and no hints on where in town he would be I had to google it. Lame. Then later had to google where to find someone else. If the game wants me to literally make friends with the characters and remember their names, then they should at least have some personality or something.
    There is also a big chunk of racing mini games, but I was bored of them immediately and skipped it. Maybe that was the good part of the game.
    Graphics: Decent, as long as you don't turn your head. Textures pop in and out as you pan the view around. I don't play games for the graphics, but this was kind of annoying. I would rather just have lower res textures.

Also, the comparisons to Borderlands should not be happening. This game is nothing like Borderlands. At all. If anything it was trying to be a Fallout clone, but it failed at that.
  29. Dec 30, 2013
    ID Software, For all we've been through, DooM, DooM 2, Doom 3... The graphics is beautiful and flourish, best performance I ever have seen compared with graphics. But the game is pretty easy And since it's the creators of doom, I had expected some more bosses, You have big guns, but you can actually complete the game with only pistol and the machine gun.
  30. Dec 21, 2013
    The game doesn't adapt to the PC that it is running on. Even with low graphic settings it still had issues running on a computer that runs every other game perfectly fine. The game play is substandard. Bad physics, bad driving (even though the game is heavily based in driving), and the story line isn't grasping like other games of the genre.
  31. Dec 8, 2013
    Don't listen to all the nay-sayers. Rage is a blast, and deserves at least a play through! Game honestly deserves an 8, but someone has to offset all the people griping about the ATI issue. The combat in Rage is top notch. Interactive enemies, grenades that function correctly, and an overall impressive atmosphere. For me, the only point where the game looses out is on a weak story line. OhDon't listen to all the nay-sayers. Rage is a blast, and deserves at least a play through! Game honestly deserves an 8, but someone has to offset all the people griping about the ATI issue. The combat in Rage is top notch. Interactive enemies, grenades that function correctly, and an overall impressive atmosphere. For me, the only point where the game looses out is on a weak story line. Oh well its a fun shooter with great combat. Expand
  32. Nov 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An ambiguous impression. Some praised, but most called Rage the most failed project of id Software. Having passed starting location I quickly became involved in the simple plot, the new world and overall visual style (the same Borderlands, made ​​in a similar design made me retching due to monotony of colors and locations). However, after a few missions I felt lack of drive. Permanent inspection of all corners, collecting beer bottles and garbage is very tiring. Eventually I was tired and launched Cheat Engine, hacked money and the game immediately transformed from action with the need to inspect each enemy and every corner in search of ammunition in a cheerful and dynamic shooting range.
    The ending is ruined. Of a short movie, we learn that the arks began to open around the world threatening the Government (or its remnants?) complete annihilation. We never saw General Cross, in the Underdark as were government soldiers, and have remained, and all resistance vanished somewhere. I certainly understand what a free game after the main story, but you can somehow mark our contribution to the world?
    Overall, I liked the game. I think, not least thanks to the hacking of money. Honestly walkthrough, saving each bullet, don't see sense, but to plunge into this madness of fire and explosions and finish for a couple of nights quite well. Then game doesn't have time to get bored you.
  33. Nov 29, 2013
    I bought this game on sale for $5 and because of that I was very pleased. This title is a collaboration between Id and Bethesda and both influences show within the look and feel of the game. The movement and controls are quite good, combat is very fluid and the player is never left feeling out of control of the game avatar. The game looks very good as well, ever on my slightly outdatedI bought this game on sale for $5 and because of that I was very pleased. This title is a collaboration between Id and Bethesda and both influences show within the look and feel of the game. The movement and controls are quite good, combat is very fluid and the player is never left feeling out of control of the game avatar. The game looks very good as well, ever on my slightly outdated system.

Vehicle combat and driving is very different then player control. It is clunky and the steering is either on or off. You are either turning or you are not. That makes the frequent racing and combat a chore rather than a joy.

In this game you are able to upgrade and customize your weapons and vehicles........kind of at least. You are teased with a few tweaks for items that make you think that this game will have an RPG element to it but in reality the little that you are able to customize make almost no difference in gameplay or weapon efficiency. I spent much time racing and doing side quests to earn the "racing certs" or cash to upgrade my things, only to ultimately be very disappointed.

Another problem I had with the game is the need to supply finite ammunition for your vehicles. When you make your way out into the larger (I use that word lightly) world, you find yourself in combat with other vehicles. You are able to shoot them and kill them, repair your damage or put up a shield or deploy an automated gun, all which sounds fun until you realize that everything you have is very limited which sucks because the baddies........are infinite in places. So you will discover that the solution, is to just speed by and get to where you are going as fast as you can, almost completely nulling a large portion of the game.

Yet another few issues to mention, the UI is obviously made for a console (you can only scroll through 4 weapons at a time even though you can select any weapon with the appropriate number key. You can only have 4 special items equipped at a time even though you can carry hundreds of each one. Using special ammo requires using the mouse to select it from a diamond shaped, 4 quadrant menu that is brought up by holding a key and selecting it with the ENTIRELY WAY TO SENSITIVE mouse.

In conclusion, this is a game worth playing IF you are able to get it for an affordable price. As a dollar value I would say this game is worth $15-$20.
  34. Nov 26, 2013
    edit: another couple hours in this game and re- review... down from 8.2 to 7.5 but a solid 7.5'r. Also should mention I am an rpg-tard and totally enjoy good storyline's which this game needs
  35. Nov 25, 2013
    Playing on PC with Core2duo 2.8 and ATI HD4870. Good graphics with great performance. There is no any problems with textures or something like that. Only a few non-essential bugs. Nice experience for me. I like this game.
  36. Nov 25, 2013
    I tried this game in the recent Free Weekend on Steam. Other than some other posters who slate the game for it being free to try out, I think it's a great idea. You can test if it's what you expect and like, if it runs well on your rig, and then take it or leave it what the heck would be wrong with that??

I figure the game must have had some problems at launch, and it really looks like some people are still in RAGE cuz they once paid €50 for this, it didn't work for them and thus they keep downvoting it forever. I guess they're hung up about their own issues you can safely ignore them. Saying it's mediocre and then giving it a score of 0 is just not honest and forthright. (If you don't know what that means, look it up, ragers!)

So, I checked it out for about 2 hours on my ageing PC (Radeon 4870, Phenom CPU, Win Vista). It ran really well, looked gorgeous, was engaging in combat and in dialogue. It entertained me plenty, I had lots of fun, no issues with graphics, controls, all worked perfectly. Worth the €5 on special offer? Not just worth it, it's a STEAL.

Yes the gameplay is linear (bit like Borderlands), yes there are invisible walls, yes the weapon options are limited, so is the roleplaying element. But by golly, the combat is a freakin fun-filled splatterfest! This game is what it is, don't expect it to be anything else, and you'll have a blast. No you can't mess about with objects or customise your character like in Fallout 3, it doesn't have the Fallout 3 humour, it doesn't do many things, but what it does it does brilliantly.

Don't come to this with false hopes, and you'll love it too. You won't be disappointed.
  37. Nov 24, 2013
    Unplayable still.

Year or two on from first release, I see these people pushing this game on Steam with free weekend of play. Guess what, the game still thinks you're playing on a console. Unplayable for the PC gamer. I made it 5 minutes past the intro movie. The pop up boxes and in game dialogue are listening for console controller commands. Guess what, I'm on a keyboard and
    Unplayable still.

I made it 5 minutes past the intro movie. The pop up boxes and in game dialogue are listening for console controller commands. Guess what, I'm on a keyboard and mouse you silly bastards.

0 10.
  38. Nov 22, 2013
    So it's Borderlands with less colors and more horror. I swear each mutant that attacks is an individual mini-jump scare. Really pretty exciting actually. There's also a ton of side-stuff to do if you're bored. There's racing and even a collectible-card metagame. Not to mention side-quests to keep you busy if you're bored. The story isn't anything special but it has a solid premise to keepSo it's Borderlands with less colors and more horror. I swear each mutant that attacks is an individual mini-jump scare. Really pretty exciting actually. There's also a ton of side-stuff to do if you're bored. There's racing and even a collectible-card metagame. Not to mention side-quests to keep you busy if you're bored. The story isn't anything special but it has a solid premise to keep the game rolling. Characters are pretty damn good, well acted, well designed, and well developed. Shooting is solid, looting is satisfying. There are some problems with texture pop-in due to the megatexture thing. Best version is on PC, the console versions are buggy as hell. PC version is still a little buggy but a lot better. Doesn't deserve a 10/10 but I wanted to counter the awful score users are giving it. It's much better than a 4.9/10, you guys are ridiculous. Solid 8/10, if not more. Expand
  39. Nov 18, 2013
    Sorry, forget the engine, forget the graphics for a minute, forget the texture issues ok? Its ok if you have the hardware after some patches.

But lets get down to it, because i CANNOT believe ANYONE on this planet gave this game a score over 5. Have you not played it? did you finish it? Ok, its not that short if you are one of those people that like to get out the car look around and stop and smell the roses kind of guy like i am. I love looking at the universe of everything and taking everything in in a game. A game like COD which is really short, will still take me a little longer because i read everything and kind of stop and smell the roses.

The game starts your in an ark, you leave, go to nearest town attack some stuff, do a couple of missions check a sewer leave town, go to next town do a couple of missions do a few races fight the bad guys called Authority, open a satalite beacon thing, some things come out of the ground, that i guess have been in the earth for ages and its over. Ive gamed for a LONG long time, but i have to say what happened? Did they run out of money? it took 7 years to make this.

But the biggest question is, how did the guys at gearbox make Borderlands in 3-4 years with MASSIVE amount of content, tons of towns, heaps to do and tons of characters, monsters, interesting stuff and RAGE took 7 years and ......

Ok seriously, if you want this game, buy it for the IDSoftware deal on STEAM or something, RAGE will likely be included in the IDSoftware complete package at Xmas or something. But i warn you you will play it, get to the 2nd town and then get to the end and think, right the 3rd town(whatever it is, must be the last town and i'll get a finale.

YOU WILL BE SHOCKED when you get to the end.

IM saying this now, CALL OF DUTY the Modern warfare trilogy 1-3 was a MILLION times better than this game. Im serious. this has probably been really incoherant, because im still shocked at the ending of RAGE. People that say they werent surprised. DOOM had an ending ok? Even just the text at the end of Doom 1 or 2 was a better ending than this. Im serious.
  40. Nov 18, 2013
    Wasted, huge potential. Let me start off with the techincal side of Rage. After all this time this game still has big graphical problems. The textures are not loaded in half the time. Sometimes you just feel like you were playing Minecraft. =============GRAPHICS are overall mediocra, very uneven. The actor models are sharp, living and convincing while the world textures are very similarWasted, huge potential. Let me start off with the techincal side of Rage. After all this time this game still has big graphical problems. The textures are not loaded in half the time. Sometimes you just feel like you were playing Minecraft. =============GRAPHICS are overall mediocra, very uneven. The actor models are sharp, living and convincing while the world textures are very similar to Half Life 2 quality. This game was meant to be a revolution whereas ended up as regresing the genre in few aspects. The objects in locations are simple bitmaps so you feel like you`re in a movie studio or a theater. In summary, graphics never let the player get immersed and forget that he`s just playing a game.=================GAMEPLAY is also painfully mediocre. The player has an inventory of guns and some objects. He can craft some items that really do not make a difference and just stay in the inv. most of the time. There is no progression system, the guns upgrade system is limited to 2 most basic upgrades. You cannot loot fallen enemies from their armament and armor. The guns are fun and interesting while the melee combat is drab and unresponsive. At one point you stop and think there is really no point to keep playing. The quickuse feature does only so much to complicate combat instead of smoothing it out. There is no automatic leaning out of cover, you can`t turn the crosshair off. Besides shooting there`s really no more you can do. Even the relatively clever AI doesn`t manage to change the routine here. Maybe the car races deserve to get a mention but they get boring fast it is obvious that this is unfinished. ================STORY, generally would have been a hit if they got more time to build it. The schematic part goes like this you enter a town, buy some supplies and go do a main quest. Then you renturn, get paid, buckle up with resources and go back to the same 2-3 locations to do the same which is shooting people/mutants. It is really too bad, because some of the locations show great creative work that make you go "uh, oh!", then 3 minutes later you are hiding behind a couch in a room that is a jpg in 80%. There is no interactivity with objects. Rage actually started getting interesting at the very last level that showed both some graphical prowess and very satisfying gunplay. And then SNAP! it ended with a 40sec cutscene.
    =========VERDICT overall this game shows some signs of a very ambitious project that ended up being a very generic basic and schematical FPS that fooled lots of people into buying based on false marketing campaign.
  41. Nov 11, 2013
    I don't know how this game can get an 80/100 average score from critics.
    I don't know how this game can get an 80/100 average score from critics.
    nothing about the game is unique and everything is mediocre at best. Plays alot like Borderlands but much worse in all other aspects. Hit detection is plain terrible and some features aren't planned out right. The uppercut move (right click) from the fists weapon for example, does no s*** to the enemies. I'm surprised as to how some critics like IGN can call it the most beautiful or "visually stunning game" in a long time when there's so much texture popping everywhere and the environment is much more empty than Fallout despite its linearity.

Maybe if it weren't made by id software it wouldnt be getting that high of a score
  42. Oct 24, 2013
    I got this game and the scourcher pack for like $19.99 on steam. It was super fun single player for me. I didnt and probably won't play mulit player. I did have any problems with bug or glitches. It ran perfect. I would have gave it a 10, but the ending left me hanging. dont know if they'll make a part 2 or not. Overall it was fun. Like mad max meets doom.
  43. Oct 19, 2013
    Heyyo, I'm rating this 10/10 purely becuase people gave it terrible reviews due to release bugs. Now that the game's fixed up? It's plenty fun. Screw them kids who went "RELEASE GAEMS MEOW!" and then went "WAHH GAEM'S BUGGY 1/10" :P
  44. Oct 13, 2013
    I hate to write a review for a game that I haven't finished, or at least logged serious time with. I especially hate to do so if I'm going to be writing a negative review I think a piece of media at least deserves to have been thoroughly scrutinized before unfavorable judgement is passed, but damn. Just damn, man. I am honestly not the type of gamer who stops playing a game andI hate to write a review for a game that I haven't finished, or at least logged serious time with. I especially hate to do so if I'm going to be writing a negative review I think a piece of media at least deserves to have been thoroughly scrutinized before unfavorable judgement is passed, but damn. Just damn, man. I am honestly not the type of gamer who stops playing a game and uninstalls it in dissatisfaction. I read lots of reviews on here that say "uninstalled it in x minutes" or whatever, and I normally discount those because I don't feel they gave the game a fair chance or are exaggerating from an emotional place rather than an analytical one for critical effect, but that's what happened here.

Rage felt extremely out of date. Oh sure, the graphics were all right, and I don't require any real per-requisites from more "modern" games. I don't need a cover system or perks or a level system grafted onto my shooters. I don't need a huge Half-Life story or an amazing new gameplay concept. I just need a game that's entertaining on some level, that has some flow, that grabs me in some way. Rage just did not do that, and I have a feeling that if it had come out alongside Doom 20 years ago, I would have felt the same way. I can't think of anything about the game that's compelling. I wish I could elaborate more on that, but I'm not sure how to explain it.

Everything this game does, some other game that's out or has been out for quite some time does much, much better. Some of those games are some of ID's own. Everything from the environments, to the enemies, to the gunplay, to the racing, to the story, to the exploration, is done better in almost any other FPS I've played.

If I tried to recommend this game to anyone, despite the fact that it didn't grab me or fit my personal preferences, I don't know who I would recommend it to. Someone who's never played an FPS before, I guess? Even then I'd want their first experience to at least be a bit more endearing, but I guess they'd at least play it for more than hour or two.

Sorry Rage, really wanted to like ya. I paid money for you, after all.
  45. Sep 29, 2013
    Not bad. It's a great step from the dark Doom 3; now you can actually see the textures. The story is a bit dull. Travelling back and forth sometimes tedious. I love the weapon selection and the ammo types, but constructing items takes too much time, without apparent reason, as the game is paused; you can construct mid fight?! I hated the rally type races; apparently, the AI had way betterNot bad. It's a great step from the dark Doom 3; now you can actually see the textures. The story is a bit dull. Travelling back and forth sometimes tedious. I love the weapon selection and the ammo types, but constructing items takes too much time, without apparent reason, as the game is paused; you can construct mid fight?! I hated the rally type races; apparently, the AI had way better control over his cars than me. Sprinting time is too short and the money limit is annoying: anything over $9999 is lost, but of course, if you purchase something then, it decreases. The permanently missable cards are another problem, even though most areas can be visited twice. Expand
  46. Sep 25, 2013
    First of all, i dont wana teach people how to write reviews or match rating with the written review.. but i must say that imo 2 points out of 10 are a question of personal taste. Not only that, but i must also say that you can review black without knowing white, same goes for saying x is great is y doesnt exist... this means that rating is possible and legit when you compare to other gamesFirst of all, i dont wana teach people how to write reviews or match rating with the written review.. but i must say that imo 2 points out of 10 are a question of personal taste. Not only that, but i must also say that you can review black without knowing white, same goes for saying x is great is y doesnt exist... this means that rating is possible and legit when you compare to other games in its category or atleast with similarities... With this said... i give this game a 10 and i am surprised with the low rating and reviews...

Where can i start? well with the fact that, this is a bethesda game... so to those complaining about graphics.. they are perfect to me.. if you want a game to escape your CoD or Battlefield addiction dont low rate a good quality game just because graphics arent similar... On the same road, i must say that i am surprised that this marvelous fps game is from bethesda, since they are renowned for their rpgs. So it was indeed a great positive surprise for me...

The shooting is great, the combat smooth, the whole idea of wasteland violence and surprise attacks is just... 10... right of the bat i got spooked out with a bandint jumping on me. The fact that ammo keeps running low is also good imo, since it adds to the difficulty (which may i say, scales awesomely well... hard to see a fps with such a great difficulty scaling(usually its either dumb dummies or headshot bots))
    The vehicle combat is really fun and interesting. Side quests (even though it is not an rpg) exist and are great.helpful and fun...

Now... to all negative reviews.. i just gota say that, ofcourse you cant compare this game to cod or battlefield.. this game has a great story, and alot more than mere shooting, its bethesda... Comparing it to fallout is also silly, even though both are bethesda and involves wastelands, 1 is a rpg and the other fps with little rpg elements. I must say that this is also a great point for this game, the rpg elements are genious... they are just enough to maintain fps status but still give some extra stuff to do and work on.

This game cannot be compared to Stalker also... Stalker is also fps true, but has way more elements of rpg.. Its a great game also, BUT simply cannot be compared to RAGE. Whole different ideas, 1 has intense combat which is cohesive to the fact that you are being hunted down, the other is honest and loyal to the idea that you are a stalker... and therefore is just existing like other stalkers (scavenging)

Compare this game to metro last light... which as i reviewed... is really really unfinished. Compare both games... both fps, both of them are post apocalyptical games and both pursue the idea of intense combat. However... metro has no side quests, no minimum rpg elements... many strings that you pull only to realise there is nothing on the other end...

Rage does have a story and its pretty linear... you cant simply cant get lost... if you get lost playing rage.. you should stick to basic left to right games.. STILL it manages to give you room to work on smaller stuff.. Yes the story aint deep... but tell me 5 fps games that get you immersed in its story....

I sincerly find it pretty sad, to see critics unable to match their writing to their number rating. Even more to see players and pro critics alike comparing this game to cod when it comes to shooting and graphics and story to other bethesda rpg games... seriously... giving metro last joke a 8 and this game a 4.8 user rating is just ridiculous.... If you played stalker or metro the joke and like post apocalyptical fps games... Rage is an awesome surprise... dont trust ratings from people who compare it wrongly... just give it a chance... its bethesda ffs.... ID made great game aswell... why on earth wouldnt you try it?

Oh and to all bug this.. crash that... graphic that" seriously... people dont downvote jokes like darksouls for its pathetic unplayable pc version but will downvote this because it has better graphics on console?!? ilogical imo... The game runs fine... if by any chance you think its lagish due to low fps, press esc, go to options and there you shall find video options that you can change... judging by what i see on many reviews, this is apparently really hard to do...
  47. Sep 19, 2013
    Your enjoyment depends on what you expect. If you expect a game that is Skyrim, Doom and Fallout all in one, then you will be disappointed. But if you expect a good shooter, variable enemies and enviroments with some more space to walk and more RPG like story then you will be happy. The only bad thing is tons of bugs at launch of the game (currently in 2013 all problems are fixed) and weakYour enjoyment depends on what you expect. If you expect a game that is Skyrim, Doom and Fallout all in one, then you will be disappointed. But if you expect a good shooter, variable enemies and enviroments with some more space to walk and more RPG like story then you will be happy. The only bad thing is tons of bugs at launch of the game (currently in 2013 all problems are fixed) and weak ending. Also I didnt like that main character has Gordon Freemans syndrome. But overally if you dont expect too much you will love this game. Expand
  48. Sep 14, 2013
    It's a nice game when you are a casual gamer. It looks nice but its every time the same mission design.
    For this price its ok, not more. Buy it if you want but its not a must have.
  49. Sep 6, 2013
    This game is not a game it is torture. After 79 minutes i am not motivated to play this stupid game. The gameplay is bad, the worst thing of it is the defibrilator, because it takes the challenge from it. The races are boring as and the story is boring and not well told. I bought this game in a steam sale for 2,50€ and i tell you i should rather have spend the money for something diffrent.
  50. Sep 4, 2013
    So, i bought this game. I didnt want to download it for so long because it was 20GB, but i did anyway.
    ~THE GOOD~
    ~THE GOOD~
    1. Holy SH*T the graphics. They are amazing. Beyond that, they are godly. I have all my setting switched to LOW, and the world looks gorgeous. Skyrim? Okay graphics. Some stuff is pretty, but you dont pay for graphics. Fallout? Meh. Ive seen better from bethesda. RAGE? F*nking beautiful graphics. They are so amazingfullnesstastic, holy shat, the best graphics ive ever seen on a game. Ever.
    2. I haven't yet used combat, but the movement is good too. I just started.
    3. Holy graphics
  51. Aug 31, 2013
    I liked the game's technological make-up (that is, looking very nice with the custom config and all while not even utilizing my average PC's processing capabilities to the full extent), but gameplay wise this is a shallow experience and I felt unengaged by the story whatsoever during my 3-4 hours spent playing the game.
  52. Aug 27, 2013
    Appears highly derivative of Fallout 3 and Borderlands, though has a nice, unique art style and the driving sections/activities do add a little bit of variety. There is little to recommend the game, despite a few cool moments here and there (the giant boss in the hospital was fun) but he final mission is as abrupt and weak as if the development was cancelled at the last minute. WouldAppears highly derivative of Fallout 3 and Borderlands, though has a nice, unique art style and the driving sections/activities do add a little bit of variety. There is little to recommend the game, despite a few cool moments here and there (the giant boss in the hospital was fun) but he final mission is as abrupt and weak as if the development was cancelled at the last minute. Would recommend picking up cheaply only. Expand
  53. Aug 23, 2013
    Pretty meh. Come on iD, you can do better than this... seriously, this is a terrible console port of an average game. I expected much more. Also crappy textures.
  54. Aug 21, 2013
    The game is full of bugs and it's poorly optimized for PC. Very bad game and disappointing. There aren't many weapons and the gameplay is very boring...
  55. Aug 15, 2013
    Superb game! Good graphics, beautiful character design: a dry, desolate future world that lives and breathes. Controls for all parts of the game are fairly intuitive. Combat is fairly fluid. Driving is natural feeling.

I spent £4 for the main game and scorchers DLC, best value money I have spent on a game in a long time. No technical issues and a few hours in I have become captivated. Don't listen to the trolls...

My criticisms are the invisible walls on rooftops restricting exploration of some interesting areas, not a huge problem, and the limited size of the game world, also the limited replay ability, though I feel that's pretty standard with visual rpg type games.

(I play on an imac with i5 processor, 12GM RAM, 2GB gfx card, windows 7, fulls settings, had no technical problems whatsoever so far fingers crossed)

I hope they continue to expand the game with new DLC, it deserves it
  56. Aug 10, 2013
    I am glad I only paid $5 for this game. Considering the studio and the people behind this title, it should have been better. I won't repeat all the same complaints you heard a million times.

I will add one positive, the mini games were at least amusing for a short time.
  57. Aug 5, 2013
    Nearly 2 years after the release most of the problems solved, I still got some funky things going on with the graphics, it's not a big problem but it is annoying when you first start the game and seeing SMALL spider webs in the back ground, I am on an integrated garbage graphics card, a good bit better than recommended but still integrated. Anyways I'd like to say this was veryNearly 2 years after the release most of the problems solved, I still got some funky things going on with the graphics, it's not a big problem but it is annoying when you first start the game and seeing SMALL spider webs in the back ground, I am on an integrated garbage graphics card, a good bit better than recommended but still integrated. Anyways I'd like to say this was very enjoyable,especially early on! Getting new guns, obtaining/buying different ammo types enhances the weapons flavor.

The personalities are a bit more realistic something that you could expect in a wasteland like this, if you like BL2 personalities and expect that, don't. Because they aren't outrageous,inhumane, and stereotypical like in BL2.

The weapons Each weapon has purpose throughout the game because of their different ammo types
    There are plenty of weapons and you can keep them all on you, this game is also awesome because a lot of times you need to prepare, so you go to the store stock up on whats appropriate for the mission and go out and handle your business. By the end of the game, if you're an explorer type of player or you just want to do the main quest line, you will all end up with the same weapons, just explorer type of players will get them sooner, and also have a lot more money. It's too bad they couldn't reward explorers more though, but still fun and exciting to explore!

Schematics I wish they had more and I want to cut down the score by .5 because of it but thats only because the schematics are so cool I want more!!!! If they were garbage or just plain uninteresting or useless, I wouldn't care but the schematics feel great and you guys will love it!

The entire map There are many places to explore but they don't reward explorers as much as fallout for example, I know it's 2 different games but I don't see what the problem would be if they added more weapons, unique weapons, and weapons that can only be found by exploring.
    The landscape is beautiful sometimes you just need to sit back and just stare at the buildings details, the ground,rocks, sky. It's great!

Overall a great game, I usually don't finish games they bore me half way through or just plain piss me off with stupid game design decisions. But this game I finished and up until I ran out of optional things to do the game got a little less exciting. This game is a 15-25+ hour game and if you like this type of game, definitely get it! The only regret I have is paying discount price
  58. Aug 2, 2013
    Texture worst than PSOne, A lot of graphic bugs/glitches and "stutter", only and always stutter.
    No way to solve: this game is really really bad, a wast of money!
    Stay away from it, it doesn't deserve not even 1$.
  59. Jul 30, 2013
    The bad reviews are outdated.

There are graphic fixes and guides for your setting which make result in a very enjoyable environment. Most bugs have been fixed (haven't experienced a single bug in my playthrough!). Note: graphics are instantly loaded into ram when entering a map; this can result in ~30 seconds of lag right at the start. However after that it's flawlessly fluent.
    The bad reviews are outdated.

However after that it's flawlessly fluent.

The game gives you a great variety of weapons right from the start which partwise transform into completely new weapons just by switching the ammo.

The story could have been better, but well it's not like CoD and Co had good stories either.

This game might have had it's issues, but they're gone now.

If you see this game on sale grab it!
    It's definitely enjoyable abd worth the money!
  60. Jul 29, 2013
    A surprinsingly enjoyable shooter. Rage comes with satisfying gunplay, a very well designed game world. Great atmosphere due to (among other things) great graphics and sound, interesting characters, and a story that despite its lengthy parts was able to keep me entertained throughout the game. Technical issues like reloading or disappearing textures or character models, the boring re-useA surprinsingly enjoyable shooter. Rage comes with satisfying gunplay, a very well designed game world. Great atmosphere due to (among other things) great graphics and sound, interesting characters, and a story that despite its lengthy parts was able to keep me entertained throughout the game. Technical issues like reloading or disappearing textures or character models, the boring re-use of the same areas over and over again, and lack of variation of surroundings or enemies keep me from giving this a higher score though. I think it's still recommendable for shooter lovers though. Expand
  61. Jul 26, 2013
    Good graphics, but really lame pieced together setting. And why can you only run for like two seconds before your character starts panting and slows down?
  62. Jul 26, 2013
    One night, Fallout 3 had a drink or two at a local bar. There, she met Borderlands. A man with strong potential and people all around the world were interrested in him, just like they were interrested in her! There was a spark between them, and after a few more drinks of which the amount of alcohol could burn straight through the vault of a mob bank, they had some real sexy love making.One night, Fallout 3 had a drink or two at a local bar. There, she met Borderlands. A man with strong potential and people all around the world were interrested in him, just like they were interrested in her! There was a spark between them, and after a few more drinks of which the amount of alcohol could burn straight through the vault of a mob bank, they had some real sexy love making. From that, their baby was born. An unspoken child. "Rage". Although "Rage" may have daddy's eyes and mommy's body, "Rage" makes for an enjoyable and visually gorgeous experience you wouldn't want to miss out on. Expand
  63. Jul 18, 2013
    Rage tries really hard to trick us into believing we are playing an open-world, sandbox-ish Borderlands clone. Unfortunately, none of the elements of this game are worked out well;

- The open world consists of nothing more than a series of three 'areas', which in themselves offer nothing more than the ability to drive by the 'levels' and enter them straight from this 'open world'. The actual missions are separated from this world by a loading screen and extremely obvious entrance points. In fact, the only freedom RAGE offers is being able to select one of three available missions and the order in which you do them.

- Enemy AI does nothing to entertain you, is blatantly stupid and adds nothing to the game.

- Graphics look nice but nothing we haven't seen before. There is a lot of talk about great textures, yes environment looks OK, but is nowhere near worth buying the game for; especially since all the other elements are done so badly.

- Weaponry feels like we've been there before. Bioshock comes to mind in terms of gunplay mechanics. Don't expect any original weapons and certainly don't expect them to give you a satisfying grin shooting with them. The special items such as the Wingstick are actually the very things that add some level of joy (you can also make RC Bomb cars...) but they horribly destroy the game's difficulty.

Overall, RAGE feels like a showcase for the great megatexture technique from ID, but offers little to nothing for any player who has already played good old DOOM, and falls horribly short of the kind of game it wants to be. Having played the whole storyline, I am still left wondering what the actual point was.
  64. Jul 9, 2013
    This game is not worth a dime.

It would have been better placed as something that someone developed by themselves in their basement or something, because that's what it feels like. Let's go from good to bad here. Good: decent car play, okay gun variations, somewhat cool race mechanics. Bad: everything else. Stupid and unbalanced gunplay, weird and buggy graphics, weak to
    This game is not worth a dime.

Let's go from good to bad here.

Good: decent car play, okay gun variations, somewhat cool race mechanics.

Bad: everything else. Stupid and unbalanced gunplay, weird and buggy graphics, weak to terrible voice acting, disgustingly stupid story, short play time, fetch side quests, no variations in enemies, and the sparsest overworld since the original Halo. (and that game came out 13 years ago... so that's pretty bad.)

Let's be real here. The real reason everyone hates this game is the absolutely stupid gunplay. The game would have been vastly better served in making all of the guns significantly stronger, and instead making the ammo so rare. (Where do the shops get the thousands of rounds of ammo you need to kill all your enemies?) Solid gunplay could have made this game satisfying enough...

But it wouldn't have saved the idiotic story. There is no way the devs couldn't know that this was one of the worst plots in a AAA shooter in a long time. You have no personal motivation to do any of the things other characters to do, and the ending was absolutely stupid.

Which is sad, because the ending level is pretty cool. You can tell that the game's engine better serves the futuristic areas versus the sparse, empty, and dead wasteland.

Finally, the enemies absolutely ruin this game. The mutants are the closest thing to a challenge and engaging gameplay, but the rest aren't worth the buckets of bullets you have to pump into them.

Overall, this game was a sorely disappointing waste of a few hours of my life that I can't get back, and the fact that the critical reviews aren't more scathing brings up certain... ethical... questions...
  65. Jul 7, 2013
    low quality graphics and gameplay, the lack of optimization for video cards Radeon graphics card. Low quality textures and terrible gameplay. My assessment 0 points out of 10. Hard to believe that Id could fall so low
  66. Jun 11, 2013
    What with the ridiculous number of 0's and 1's here, I'd felt obliged to balance it out with a 10. Rage is initially stunning to look at, but it's easy to get used to the graphical splendor. Whoever claims this game doesn't look great needs to a) upgrade their PC and/or b) have their eyes checked. Gameplay is solid, with good enemy AI, nice guns and handling of them and an overal greatWhat with the ridiculous number of 0's and 1's here, I'd felt obliged to balance it out with a 10. Rage is initially stunning to look at, but it's easy to get used to the graphical splendor. Whoever claims this game doesn't look great needs to a) upgrade their PC and/or b) have their eyes checked. Gameplay is solid, with good enemy AI, nice guns and handling of them and an overal great level of polish. Even the voice acting is pretty solid. It might be that many of the negative reviews are simple due to unrealistic expectations ("it's ID, so it HAS to be some next level and/or the early bugs (I experienced none so far). In 2013, in a sale, Rage is a great shooter with some small but nice RPG overtones. I enjoyed it more than Borderlands 2, so far, if that's any help. On the negative side: it's a bit repetitive (like most if not all shooters), it's more lineair than it likes to pretend. A great buy at a tenner or two Expand
  67. Jun 10, 2013
    Great game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to everyGreat game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to every shot they are hit with in a realistic way with impressively animated deaths. The animators at id software knocked it out the park with the games many fluid and jaw dropping animations, from crazed mutants ravenously coming after you, to salty bandits flailing back from gunfire ultimately spinning and falling face first to their death these animations are handled with a smoothness and degree of movement not often(if ever) seen in the video game industry. The sound shines with the vaunted John Goodman lending his voice acting talents. The game isn't short with all the side quests and loot hunting offered as well as a very arcade like but enjoyable racing and vehicle combat section (though a bit easy). The weapons are varied enough with all guns and crossbow having several different ammo types, but the clear cut star of your arsenal is the innovative and devilishly fun wing stick. The wing stick is a type of three bladed boomerang that you throw at your enemies for frequent decapitations and severed limbs, it also can be upgraded to target enemies,do more damage, and return to your hand like a boomerang (did i mention it can slice the head off of multiple enemies in a row).You also find or buy blueprints in the wasteland which build new weapons/guns, upgradable turrets and robots, and even a mini remote controlled truck with bombs attached to it which you can remote detonate (also useful for scouting out enemy camps). You do however rehash the same levels at times with minor differences but with having to make such detailed landscapes it's understandable. The game includes many enjoyable mini games such as five finger fillet, a guitar hero like game called strum, and a very fun card game similar to magic the gathering with picture cards of different in game characters and factions that you find throughout the wasteland to strengthen your deck(trust me i am not a card or magic t.g. fan but this is fun). The world isn't as big as fallout but it is as big as it needs to be.It has a fun but not as varied separate coop campaign and online multiplayer in the form of exciting vehicle combat races. I know it isn't the 4 player coop of borderlands but unless you are the type who is compulsive about having 50,000 guns and cell shaded graphics it might be a better all around game than the first borderlands(i do love borderlands by the way). People say Rage doesn't have a story and it has an "okay" if not fleshed out enough story but borderlands though it is entertaining has basically no story at all(you are on pandora- now find this vault).Some found Rage to have a weak ending? Not half as dissapointing as borderlands ending (can anyone say they were pleased with what they found in the vault?) Overall Rage is a breath of fresh air that beckons back to id's yesteryear of gaming (doom,quake) the combat is in your face and aggressive differing from this generation's Gears of Wear totally cover based pop and shoot style of combat (when i am a badass muscle bound space marine i don't want to spend 75% of the game on my knees, i know a few gals who hangout on the corner they can give marcus pheonix a pair of kneepads they spend alot of time on their knees too).Rage has a ton of nostalgic eastereggs too, if you are a Doom,wolfenstein, Quake or id fan you need to get this game for the eastereggs alone! I won't spoil it but let's just say these eastereggs are very.....interactive. The sad thing is that Rage2 was in the works but seeing how Rage undersold they cancelled production and killed the would be series. This was new IP from the fathers of FPS and after all that time they delivered, and after getting their feet wet in this generation with Rage i can assume building on Rage's engine and the experience with Rage would have prepped them to deliver even bigger on Rage2 (can you imagine what that game would of looked like.) Rage is a very strong game and worth the experience it should have sold 5mil. Rage gets a 9 out of 10. j Expand
  68. Jun 9, 2013
    I actually enjoyed this game, although it is far, very far, from being an excellent one. At best, it's a fun shooter with nice graphics and decent gameplay. At worst, it is a rigid (I'm admittedly biased towards more open-world games now) game that fails to live up to all its great potential with shallow characters and a plot you don't really get truly invested in. The PC port of thisI actually enjoyed this game, although it is far, very far, from being an excellent one. At best, it's a fun shooter with nice graphics and decent gameplay. At worst, it is a rigid (I'm admittedly biased towards more open-world games now) game that fails to live up to all its great potential with shallow characters and a plot you don't really get truly invested in. The PC port of this console-first game is very shoddy and buggy, particularly in the display/graphics texturing side. (unlike some others, I did not have framerate issues) Expand
  69. Jun 4, 2013
    There is no surprise this is made by the guys who brought us DOOM, the game play is EXACTLY the same as it's 20 year old brother, just strafe and shoot, strafe and shoot.

Can look spectacular, but you're never given a chance to explore the world as you're kept in a corridor and pushed towards the next bullet sponge. Very disappointing.
  70. sft
    Jun 3, 2013
    Just a bit miffed, I’d say

Just a bit miffed, I’d say

There’s a great game in here somewhere, struggling to get out. Unfortunately it never quite succeeds. RAGE was hyped up enormously prior to its launch and I was one of those gamers who looked forward to getting around to playing it. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the game but I was always aware that it could have been so much better. The story is standard post-apocalyptic fare and, more notably, the script lacks humour. The gameplay and combat, while good at times, are never outstanding. It tries to create the illusion of open-world play but in fact it’s pretty much a corridor shooter with defined routes and little opportunity to explore. The graphics are also deceptive: the landscapes look good from a distance but close-up the textures are disappointing. It should be noted, however, that the background music is quite impressive. There are echoes of both Borderlands and Fallout 3 here, but RAGE is a subpar game when compared to either. It’s a shame that the people who brought us the excellent Doom series failed, on this occasion, to match their earlier success. I’ve no doubt, however, that they will regain their form in the future.
  71. May 18, 2013
    You'll find no spoilers here because to spoil the game it would have to be playable... which it isn't and is also why you shouldn't buy the game. At the very least the title is appropriately named so I'll give it half a point for that but I'm still going to round down and give it a 0.
  72. May 5, 2013
    Great game. Absolutely stunning. I cant believe I wasted so long to get it, because of all the negative reviews here. The graphics are truly amazing and the game play is quite original. Well worth 20 bucks if you ask me. I have had no problem with the game whatsoever. A must have for any fps fan.
  73. Apr 30, 2013
    Rage is the newest release from id Software, the pioneers of the FPS and creators of such games as DOOM and Wolfenstein. This game is id Software’s proclaimed return to the business of creating games, after being absent for a few years. Does Rage stand out enough to make it a front runner in FPSs’ to come? Or is it just another crude shooter?
    Rage takes place in a post apocalyptic world
    Rage takes place in a post apocalyptic world after nuclear war and meteor strikes have decimated the majority of life on earth. Your character (who is never named) is an ark dweller, person chosen to be placed in an ark underground to avoid the struggle of the war. The first scene in Rage involves your character waking up from his hibernation in his ark, and stepping out into the world.
    This moment of discovery was one of the most awesome experiences I have had in gaming for a while. Once outside of the ark, you are given the opportunity to look around your surroundings. It is this moment that you can tell the developers did not waste any time making this game look awesome. I spent at least 5 minutes looking just at the sky to watch the clouds overhead. These graphics were some of the best I have seen in a very, very long time, however just because the graphic s are good does not mean that this is an overall good game.
    Part of my problem with this game is the lack of originality in the story. The main plot emphasizes the role of a small, underground, rebel organization working in secret to try and overthrow “The Authority”, a repressive central government. Honestly this plot has come up in so many other venues that from the get go I was not interested.
    One aspects of the game that I was interested in was the gunplay, at least at first. This game really delivers on creating realistic enemies that react appropriately to gun shots. One of the best moments in the game was facing my first mutant, him running down the hallway at me and me taking a couple seconds to place a shot in both legs. The mutant responded very well, tripping and stumbling when the bullet hit him. Even though this was cool for the first few hours of the game, the novelty eventually wears off and gunplay becomes a chore, something you do because you have to, not because you want to. There was a severe lack of weapons in Rage, which made the FPS lose its shine fast.
    Mission variety is another low point in the game for me. Not only has Rage generic fetch quests, some of the mission environments are replayed, which I did not enjoy. For example, in one mission you had to go through an abandoned laboratory to collect medicine, and then later in the game you go back to that same location just to run through the entire same building backwards. I feel that this really poor choice to make, because the developers had such a cool setting for the game.
    I would say that the environment of Rage is neat, but the developers failed to expand upon it. When a game this comes out, I expected some heavy environmental exploration and discovery, however this was not so. The extent of exploration was limited to driving in between levels to complete generic missions. This would not bug me, if the “wasteland” (the land outside of hub worlds and levels) had any incentive to explore. In my time spent with the game, I never felt the urge to actually explore; I just drove from mission to mission without a second thought.
    Rage was a highly anticipated release; however it fails to deliver in many aspects. From mission variety to gun-play to story, this game falls short in compare to others in its field. The only thing that stuck out to me in this game was the graphics, which were nothing short of stunning, unfortunately this is the only high point in the game.
  74. Apr 23, 2013
    Strictly talking gameplay wise, this game is a turd.
    This is a shooter, that has an "overworld" where you get quests and you have to drive to missions on a buggy. You know the mission area begins because you have to get off your buggy.
    Strictly talking gameplay wise, this game is a turd.
    Picking up items is tedius, shooting people is tedious, making things adds an extra step incase you werent bored enough, the maps are rehashed very early on, and you play a minigame instead of dying...
    The most fun I had was when I first killed an enemy because he jumped to the side and hopped on the cieling, and i realized there was not aquick meele button. The suck set in and now the only thing entertaining is crashing your buggy and flinging yourself into the mission.
    The story is not engaging. There aren;t many "transition" animations where you get in a vehicle or grab a zipline, the screen just goes black sometimes, and that is really lazy. And for some reason when you shoot people in a town, blood gushes but nothing happens..
    Lots of other problems but these jump out at me as actively deciding to not make a good game. I don't know why critics reviewed this so positively.
  75. Apr 21, 2013
    the game is overall really good. its just to bad that the game is so buggy and has some much technical issues. texture popping happens a lot. the texture popping is really bad and really takes you out of the experience. aside of the bugs, this game is really good. though the story is kinda boring, the gameplay is really awesome. the sound design in this game is really impressive, and thethe game is overall really good. its just to bad that the game is so buggy and has some much technical issues. texture popping happens a lot. the texture popping is really bad and really takes you out of the experience. aside of the bugs, this game is really good. though the story is kinda boring, the gameplay is really awesome. the sound design in this game is really impressive, and the guns feel great. the enemy AI is outstanding, doing a really good job of giving you a challenge.
    its to bad that the thechnical are so big, and that the story is lame for the most part, but exept these ussues this game is great.
  76. Apr 16, 2013
    underrated game. great gameplay, great shooting. great design (the best!). one of my all time favorites.
    It has an abrupt ending. that was disappointing. Also, I would like to see more in the wasteland. there was not much to do. No good reason to explore.
    i had no technical issues with it. (geforce 9800 gtx & geforce gtx 550 ti)
    i hope they make a sequel
  77. Apr 8, 2013
    Gunplay is fast and fluid, enemies have good AI and the arsenal is fun to shoot. Just a real joy as a shooter, it feels true to id's legacy. Similar setting as Fallout, but it's more linear, more about the action, with a fresh visual design. Character animations are great. Lite rpg and racing elements work well but are simple so as to emphasize shooting.
    Performance issues killed the
    Performance issues killed the general reception of this game. Make sure you update your graphics drivers and patch the game. There's plenty of advice online on solving these issues.
  78. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game deserves a "GG!". All of those so-called "bad reviews" were made in Rage's early days; when the game had just come out and still had problems (albeit big ones). Now however, the game has been out for about 1 1/2 years, and it has improved a lot. I bought it for 5$ on steam during a sale, and it was totally worth it. The fighting is fun and hilarious, both on foot and in the cars. The guns are awesome and the different types of ammo you get for the guns (my favorite so far is the Mind Control Bolts for the Striker Crossbow weapon) make them really dynamic. There is racing in the game (which at first, I was not all that excited about) but it turned out to be seriously cool. There are 4 different race types, "Time Trial", "Rally", "Non-combat", and "Combat". The Time Trial race is a SP race only, where you try to complete a race track 3 times before a timer runs out. The Rally race is an SP or MP race where racers compete to try and collect rally points that are scattered across the map, and the first to 50 points wins, with the rally points giving 5 points each. The multiplayer is not quite what I had thought it was, as you cannot do the entire campaign with a friend, but rather, you can do specific quests from the campaign with a twist to them. The physics is amazing. The way they react when you shoot them is phenomenal. You hit a helmeted enemy in the head, and he falls over and tries to recover. You hit a mutant in the leg as he charges you and he starts to trip. The AI is really smart, they know what you are doing and tell their friends what to do based on that. I take out 3 bandits out of a group of 5 and they yell, "Fall back! Don't let him get through!". One of the negatives however, was that, it was not quite as much of an open world game as I would have liked. It feels a little bit like there is one path to go down and there are only a few other places to go besides there, but they do it in such a way so you get used to it. Another negative I had was how short the game was (I finished the solo campaign in about 44 hours even though I did most of the side missions as well) but for 5-15$, I suppose I shouldn't have expected as much length (I Also, they don't do a good job explaining what the options do in the game. For example, there is an option in there called "GPU Transcode"...huh? What does that do/mean exactly? I turned it on and the benchmark went up by 50, so I left it on, but I would like to know what that means. All of the intro movies and all cutscenes are inescapable as well. So in the end, I take 1 point for the shortness and linearness, and 1 point for the other negatives I mentioned earlier. All in all, great game. Good luck in the Wasteland! Expand
  79. Mar 20, 2013
    Rage is just not a very interesting or engaging game. A summary of the plot is a giant meteor strikes the Earth and you are a chosen person who goes into suspended animation. Naturally when you wake up everyone else is dead and it is the post-apocalyptic future. The best summary of this game is it's like a poor man's Fallout except a First Person Shooter hijacked it and took it's garb. ItRage is just not a very interesting or engaging game. A summary of the plot is a giant meteor strikes the Earth and you are a chosen person who goes into suspended animation. Naturally when you wake up everyone else is dead and it is the post-apocalyptic future. The best summary of this game is it's like a poor man's Fallout except a First Person Shooter hijacked it and took it's garb. It is nowhere half as good or as fun. Your weapons suck, they lack a killer punch, the car driving sucks and car battles are just tedious. The first person action is not very engaging and it becomes annoying very fast if you can't even jump on top of a box and invisible walls block you, sometimes in really stupid places for example you could slide down a slope early on then crawl back up it but despite being big and solid enough to hold you, the curse of the invisible force wall strikes, The graphic engine is not going to win any prizes any time soon. I am glad I picked this up in a sale and not full price. It frankly is just boring. Can I endorse this as a purchase to you? nope sorry, not even in the sales bucket. There are other titles out there in the sales bucket that are a lot more fun to play. Expand
  80. Mar 18, 2013
    Made an account just to say I've never played this game. Which is funny cause I own it. Pretty sure Bethesda should have been sued for this pile of crap. I was never able to get passed the sequence after the really amazing looking intro.
  81. Mar 14, 2013
    This game is funny. I remember the movie mad max Run on the desert is beatifull and dangerous.
    The races are excelent too much hardcore.
    The weapons are excelent, real.

The only problem that make me sad DON' T HAVE A FINAL BOSS...
    without a final boss I only can put 8 points to score.

Id software are doing funny games, I'm wainting to the continuation
  82. Mar 12, 2013
    Rage is one of this games that could have, should have, been really great. One of those games that not only game with a lot of promise, but started in such a way that you think, "this is gonna be awesome!"...inky to smash those hopes on the rocks a few too many times. The premise: Earth was clobbered by the Apophis asteroid (real rock, look it up for more info). Select survivors (includingRage is one of this games that could have, should have, been really great. One of those games that not only game with a lot of promise, but started in such a way that you think, "this is gonna be awesome!"...inky to smash those hopes on the rocks a few too many times. The premise: Earth was clobbered by the Apophis asteroid (real rock, look it up for more info). Select survivors (including you) were buried in stasis in subterranean "arks," while the majority were left to enjoy a huge asteroid whacking the planet from the front-row seats. Nevertheless, there were survivors on the surface amid the destruction, and this is the world into which you emerge: blasted rubble, hardscrabble existence, and no shortage of conflict. So, great premise. Graphics are unbelievable, particularly the environments, vehicles, and especially the first-person weapon renders. Audio is great (SFX are top-notch). Writing is good (enough), voice acting very good. The crafting system for creating ammunition, tools, and weapons was clever and, amazingly, not tedious. So what went wrong? Well, in a word: id. Yeah, the old warhorse of FPS gaming, id Software (remember Doom? Them.) totally wrecked an otherwise grand game. Short story is that Rage suffers from ego poisoning. It's impossible to play for more than a few minutes before you run into another self-serving self-refence to another id game, be it Doom, Wolfenstein, or whatever. Look, I have no problem with easter-egg appearances. When I saw the space marine bobblehead on a dashboard within the first five minutes of gameplay, I thought "cool dev nod, nice." But after dozens of references, half of which were absolutely ridiculous, I spent more time rolling my eyes and getting mad at id than I did enjoying the game. (Seriously, there was a Doom hell prince as the texture for a COFFEE POT. Someone deserved to be slapped for that.) id's ego was out of control and disproportionally so; Bethesda Softworks snuck in one easter egg, a vaultboy bobblehead from Fallout, which was cool because it actually appeared in the original game, unlike the Doom hell prince which I don't think ever took up residence in small kitchen appliances. That aside, the game felt unfinished. Missions were clever and varied until the end, whereuoon the game took on an attitude of "we ran out of ideas, so here's some leftover 1990's style monster box gameplay and then we're gonna roll credits." Devs, take note, because this is what really screwed up Fallout 2: too many pop culture references. Game worlds, like film, are about suspension of disbelief. Keep bombarding the audiene with references and you blow that. Lose it and the experience suffers and the faults become far apparent. It's worth noting that I bought this game on the faith and belief in Bethesda's commitment to quality; by my experience, they'd never made a dud, and I had no reason to think they were going to start. One $60 mistake later and that trust was vapor. Six out of ten is very generous for this ego hodgepodge blended unevenly with an actual game...too generous. Make it five. Expand
  83. Feb 16, 2013
    What we were all waiting for was a pure hard core fps in the finest tradition of the genre from its creators what we actually got was a buggy not very open ended world the enviroments are not that big action rpg with teadious questing and not enough shooting. id at one time were the undisputed masters of this genre but ever since quake 1 they have been moving further and further away fromWhat we were all waiting for was a pure hard core fps in the finest tradition of the genre from its creators what we actually got was a buggy not very open ended world the enviroments are not that big action rpg with teadious questing and not enough shooting. id at one time were the undisputed masters of this genre but ever since quake 1 they have been moving further and further away from what we loved them for. Fast pasced full on adrenaline pumping action. Rage is a buggy dreary game best forgotten. My real fear is that now id are working with Bethesda that Doom 4 will follow rage down the rabbit hole and come out with myxomatosis. GOD I HOPE THEY GO BACK AND DO WHAT THEYRE GREAT AT!!!! Expand
  84. Feb 16, 2013
    i bought this game after watching trailers and looking at screenshots. It looked amazing! Until I put it on my rather powerful PC rig and it ran like a one legged dog. The texture filtering issue is a game breaker in itself and make the game feel unfinished. The story had a good premise (even though the post apocalyptic world was well know to the gaming universe by now), but delivered likei bought this game after watching trailers and looking at screenshots. It looked amazing! Until I put it on my rather powerful PC rig and it ran like a one legged dog. The texture filtering issue is a game breaker in itself and make the game feel unfinished. The story had a good premise (even though the post apocalyptic world was well know to the gaming universe by now), but delivered like Mad Max 3.

The gameplay frustrated me more than anything else, particularly when I cleared an area and then as soon as I go back, it is full of the same Serious Sam enemies that simply rush you like Justin Beiber fans at the airport. Other than this the missions are uninventive and repetitive. Finally to top it off, I hate when you know a game is a simple port of a console game when it tells you not to 'turn off your PC while saving'. Yeah, I think i might just reach around the back and yank out the power supply from my $4000 computer during a save load. This insults my intelligence and dumbs down the game.

Here are two top tips for future cross platform games not originally designed for PC: 1.) Don't paste the game folder into 'Bobs game converter' to solely change the necessary files into a wizz PC format. 2.) Actually take the time to make the game into another format, such as PC and play test it first before boxing it up for release. You don't see chefs sending out food to paying customers before checking it is cooked and tastes right.

Therefore, for the above flaws, Rage on the PC is only worth a 2/10.
  85. Feb 13, 2013
    Feels utterly rushed with half finished assets all over. Bullet sponge enemies, lots and lots of invisible walls and a predictable and starved storyline.
    They don't have enough levels to be a AAA game, so they make you play the same levels TWICE and re-skin the same enemies.
    Seems like it could have used a year or two in development to flesh out the quests and ditch bad stuff. I will
    I will never listen to bought reviewers again.
  86. Feb 5, 2013
    Got this game on sale for $10 and i'm am no way regretting it.. I can see and understand why everyone hates this game so much, cause the engine needs alot of giddy-up, even my PC ain't exactly capable of running the game at 100% fine. I like the weaponry collection it has and the gameplay is cool, being out in the middle of nowhere with just some folks and doing missions along the way asGot this game on sale for $10 and i'm am no way regretting it.. I can see and understand why everyone hates this game so much, cause the engine needs alot of giddy-up, even my PC ain't exactly capable of running the game at 100% fine. I like the weaponry collection it has and the gameplay is cool, being out in the middle of nowhere with just some folks and doing missions along the way as you go, you meet more people and earn more money by bidding or doing a race and finishing as first (for an example) the card game called rage frenzy is ok every now and then but I concentrate on the missions. I see collecting books, cards, and bottles and junk to be more of an optional thing but I have come across 30 cards so far and i am in the 3rd town.. The three missions towards the end of the second town was the best so far IMO, I love killing the convoy more than the raiders sometimes cause I have a feeling some are overpowered but then again KEEP IN MIND it counts where exactly you hit the enemy, not how many times you shoot the enemy. The machine gun on the vehicle is a real huge help (has auto aiming) and when you break down you can call for help or just drive back to nearest town and repair it for a nice cheap price. I like how the GFX look, at first I thought it was kinda dumb but now I think its more of a fun way of driving it towards realistic but sometimes when I walk into new areas the ground, walls, items, aumo, etc. look fuzzy or really super blurry, I walked into this one building and got up to the next floor and everything was blur, it got stuck like this for about a half a minute but i was still able to walk around just fine without any lag, however there are times when I turn my head and my screen just freezes for a quick second or so. When going to the missions, you will sometimes use the same route over and over, this can get kind of boring and killing the same raiders you just killed in a previous mission but its all the fun in the game but could still use a different approach every other time. This game kind of makes me think of Metro 2033, the way the gameplay is, there both a apocalyptic game and both have limits like you can't go through certain holes or jump on top of walls or such, there both small games and both are FPS.. However I'm no way saying the games are the same cause they most certainly are not the same, they differ in so many ways. I'm gonna have to give this game a 10 Expand
  87. Jan 25, 2013
    After hearing the developers brag about this "megatextures" nonsense, the actual textures in-game are horrifyingly disappointing. In fact, almost every aspect of the game is horribly disappointing. The story might as well be nonexistent, the weapons are bland and you really don't need anything else once you get the Authority LMG (which has less recoil and a higher rate of fire than theAfter hearing the developers brag about this "megatextures" nonsense, the actual textures in-game are horrifyingly disappointing. In fact, almost every aspect of the game is horribly disappointing. The story might as well be nonexistent, the weapons are bland and you really don't need anything else once you get the Authority LMG (which has less recoil and a higher rate of fire than the assault rifle), and the shameless backtracking at parts is just unforgivable.

I've played worse games, but this is just a generally bad game.
  88. Jan 16, 2013
    What a great game. After looking at all of these negative reviews I have to wonder if the game has been massively patched since its release. I decided to purchase game on a steam sale for $5 and am so glad I did. The combat is intense and satisfying. The characters are engaging. The racing combat is fun. The upgrades to all of your weapons and vehicles is sweet. The engineering aspect isWhat a great game. After looking at all of these negative reviews I have to wonder if the game has been massively patched since its release. I decided to purchase game on a steam sale for $5 and am so glad I did. The combat is intense and satisfying. The characters are engaging. The racing combat is fun. The upgrades to all of your weapons and vehicles is sweet. The engineering aspect is super cool. And again the gameplay is FLAWLESS. Either there is some sort of massive conspiracy going on or this game has been heavily patched since its initial release. There is no question that you should buy this game. I really feel that John Carmack and his team got $crewed with all this negative press. This has been one of the most fun games I have played in years. BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!! I am giving this game a 10 (even though no game really is perfect) because of all of the lopsided reviews giving this game a freeking 1! Which is ludicrous. Expand
  89. Jan 14, 2013
    Despite all the negative user feedback, I decided to buy this game during a steam sale event. MAN am I glad I made that decision!! Since so many of these reviews are bias and subjective, I'll try to provide objectivity. Hands down, the graphics are some of the best Ive seen in a long time. Controls are easy to learn, and intuitive to any fps veteran. Combat is tough, dynamic andDespite all the negative user feedback, I decided to buy this game during a steam sale event. MAN am I glad I made that decision!! Since so many of these reviews are bias and subjective, I'll try to provide objectivity. Hands down, the graphics are some of the best Ive seen in a long time. Controls are easy to learn, and intuitive to any fps veteran. Combat is tough, dynamic and suspenseful. Different types of enemies provide a challenge, and an opportunity to creatively use all your fabricated weapons and explosive RC cars 8] . The characters models are fantastic and each one is different. The way they talk and the expressions they make are amazingly well made. I am so impressed with the attention to detail bethesda and id have taken in character personality. Back to killing - its just awesome. Shooting a guy in the ass makes him scream and pain and clutch his bum like its been bit by a ravenous donkey! Missions are engaging and entertaining - and usually provide some kind of perk or schematic for the players benefit. There are seemingly endless battles to be fought, and elixers to be made - boredom is a rarity. My few main gripes are this - The world has too many boundaries. Th player cant explore the cliffs or even jump over a car thats 2 ft off the ground - makes for an unrealistic restricted feel, which I dislike. Also, id has always made games with fun little secret doors, and locations for the true gamer who likes to explore. Rage provides little if anything like this. Overall, gameplay, gunplay, combat, the stories, and character modeling/ voice acting are all phenomenal, which is all I require to have a blast in any pc game. Enjoy it for everything it is! Expand
  90. Jan 13, 2013
    OK guys, the demo is reasonable, now when are you going to release the game for real?

I was extremely disappointed with a game I waited for months (years!) to play and the result was silly, short and at times monotonous. I had no technical problem with the game and put almost all graphics options at the maximum, except for texture detail which I left off, but being on you can play,

I had no technical problem with the game and put almost all graphics options at the maximum, except for texture detail which I left off, but being on you can play, although there is a slight delay in some fast motions.

The graphic quality is only fair. A critic of GamingXP speaks of "an unmatched graphics experience"! Maybe if this engine had been used in 2004 to make Doom 3 that description applies, but in 2011! I wonder how much was invested in work hours and money to make this new engine, which is not
  91. Jan 10, 2013
    i just picked this game up for a serious discount and i would have to say it was a steal. This game is fast paced and brilliantly fun to play. id games have a certain feel to them that other shooters just cant match IMO. Lots of people seem to complain about the graphics in the game for PC, but seriously easy to fix with a config file to change the textures to 4k, 8k or 16k textures. I rani just picked this game up for a serious discount and i would have to say it was a steal. This game is fast paced and brilliantly fun to play. id games have a certain feel to them that other shooters just cant match IMO. Lots of people seem to complain about the graphics in the game for PC, but seriously easy to fix with a config file to change the textures to 4k, 8k or 16k textures. I ran the game with 8k textures and it looked amazing with my 7950 and it ran 40FPS+. The biggest issue with the graphics is texture quality when close to objects which is common but with stock graphics the textures are some of the worst ive seen up close in a while but the 8k "mod" fixes a lot of this. I know people **** saying well we shouldnt have to make a config file to up graphic quality, fact of the matter is people do this for all kinds of games and modding games is just part of PC gaming these days. id is old school and thats what i love about their games. They make their games linear which to me ups the fun, especially in frantic situations. nobody wants a open world doom game and i certainly dont want rage open world either. i recommend picking this up as far as i can tell there isnt many bugs in this game at all though i didnt go out of my way to find any either. Rage took me about 20 hours to beat (23 hours with the DLC) and that is completing all the little side missions and races. Which for a FPS this day and age is really good considering i beat most FPS games in 5-6 hours. There have been some patches that fixed a lot of the graphic options in the games settings so disregard older reviews of this game which state there are none. I loved how id stuck to their guns with this game and didnt conform it to more "modern" **** shooters that only let you carry 2 guns, carrying 9+ guns is just plain awesome. One feature i wish they would have left out was health regeneration but there are medpacks as well. Rage also includes very minor RPG elements as well that makes the game more interesting. You can craft things like turrets , rc car bombs medpacks, wingsticks are really fun to use decapitating enemies is just plain awesome. sure maybe the story is not up to par and the characters are uninteresting but when has id ever put a lot of stock into character development. This game is just plain fun up the difficulty though the normal setting seems more like very easy ramp it up to hard or higher. Expand
  92. CJR
    Jan 5, 2013
    Technical issues aside, This game is a very well executed shooter with an artistically designed over world and linear run and gun missions. This game has presented us gamers with a world with great potential, this game will leave you wanting more, and enthusiastic for a sequel.

The action is not highly realistic, some enemies will keep running at you even when you pump a shotgun load into their heads, but that is how the guys at id have done it for years with their shooters, once you get over that little bit of un-realism, you will kinda get what it's about.

There missions are basically go and retrieve something or rescue someone, and you kill lots of bad guys along the way, I find that fund in the environments presented in this title, The weapons and their upgrades are good, no need for any kind of grinding or absurd amounts of effort to achieve them and they are rewarding. Vehicle action in Rage is surprisingly well pulled off for a software house that mostly only ever did shooters, it is fun to race around and blow up bandits and race for upgrades. For the mix of linear run and gun and a vehicular oriented over-world there is a huge scope of achievement in rage technically and for a video game that delivers as much play time as it does is nice these days. It's not a futuristic skyrim, there are RPG elements only, like making items from supplies, upgrading armour and weapons, but it ends there, just some rewards to keep you playing and offer choices on how you slay enemies.

Graphically flawless o the right hardware, No show stopping bugs and a well rounded title with at least 10 hours of play. Replayability is good too.

There are a lot of negative reviews complaining about a lack of graphical options and bugs etc, but alot of that has been solved now through updates and new driver updates on the part of both nvidia and ATI. Everyone had this idea in their head that id software is a huge software company with infinite fund to test their titles on every combination of hardware, but this was primarily a console title, which we as the public were lucky enough to get a pc version. id usually does fix most bugs in their releases and rage should be no different.

A year later, this title is great on decent hardware, if you have a mid range PC and are not comfortable with doing some research on pc game tweaks on the internet I would recommend this title on a console rather than PC. If you invest the time though, this is a very graphically impressive title with some minor config file tweaks.

A great FPS and Vehicle game with RPG elements with plenty of fun and story content.
  93. Jan 1, 2013
    This game runs awful on my computer. AMD Phenum II QuadCore 3.4Ghz 8GB DDR3 200GB SATA III SSD RAID Stripe NVidia 550ti 2way SLi. Winodws 8. I bought this game for 5 bucks, it's not really worth the amount of data to download it. The way this games engine works is similar to how a flathead V8 from a 58 Packard accelerates. Or similar to a FORD PINTO towing a trailer full of gymThis game runs awful on my computer. AMD Phenum II QuadCore 3.4Ghz 8GB DDR3 200GB SATA III SSD RAID Stripe NVidia 550ti 2way SLi. Winodws 8. I bought this game for 5 bucks, it's not really worth the amount of data to download it. The way this games engine works is similar to how a flathead V8 from a 58 Packard accelerates. Or similar to a FORD PINTO towing a trailer full of gym equipment uphill on a cold day. That said, the game ran better on 3.4Ghz on 4 cores, rather than 4.2Ghz on 2 cores. I suspect the more cores, the better the game will run. It loads textures very slowly, it took almost 2 minutes for the game to load all the textures while playing, during that time you can barely move and get to stare at a slide show.

Aside from the horrid game engine, it looks like a counterfeit version of Borderlands. The story is a bit more exciting however.

This is the worst game performance on my computer... ever. I might go out and buy an 8 core CPU just to see if it runs better.

I would post more info on the game if I could play the bloody thing without all this lag and terrible graphics rendering. Sorry my computer sucks, it is old, almost a year old.
  94. Dec 31, 2012
    Well what a great game, Good graphics fun car battles and slick and interesting weaponry. What really makes this game stand out is the plot and some mission have you jumping out your seat in surprise or fearing moving around the next corner for fear of what might be there. For £7 buy it now!
  95. Dec 22, 2012
    Kind of shocked to see the amount of negative reviews this game has gotten. (Altho many 2011 reviews comment on bugs and crashes. I cant comment on the state of the game at launch but I can tell you that as of writing this review I played thru the game from start to finish at max settings @1600p and it played smooth without a single hitch on a high end rig). This is a decent FPS, its notKind of shocked to see the amount of negative reviews this game has gotten. (Altho many 2011 reviews comment on bugs and crashes. I cant comment on the state of the game at launch but I can tell you that as of writing this review I played thru the game from start to finish at max settings @1600p and it played smooth without a single hitch on a high end rig). This is a decent FPS, its not ground breaking and given the pedigree of the team involved you may have understandably some high expectations. But while there are better FPS shooters out there, this (particularly at the cheap price it is these days) is still worth a go. Its actually a mixture of Motor Storm (a racing game if you didnt know) and a little Borderlandsish (enemies)! Its maps are especially large, which impressed me considering some of the beautiful detail. The AI isnt too bright, thankfully they are agile and have some randomness about them, but dont expect much trouble taking them down. The weapons are a bit of a let down, nothing feeling as good as it should - your melee attack is a force to be reckoned with, but a steel-tipped arrow directly hitting a naked head - apparently not that devastating :s I can see why some may have felt disappointed with this, especially if you bought it early and had the hype building. But as a game that can be found for under a fiver, its worth the money. Expand
  96. Dec 18, 2012
    Okay, Ignoring the ending (which was a complete let down) Pretty good game. I played it on the PC and got very few errors and glitches. Solid gameplay (on hardest setting) fun mini games, great fps in most regards. The only reason why I'd not recommend it is because of the ending. Big build up, tension peaks, and you shoot stuff and it ends. no boss or anything. I mean: pshaw. other thanOkay, Ignoring the ending (which was a complete let down) Pretty good game. I played it on the PC and got very few errors and glitches. Solid gameplay (on hardest setting) fun mini games, great fps in most regards. The only reason why I'd not recommend it is because of the ending. Big build up, tension peaks, and you shoot stuff and it ends. no boss or anything. I mean: pshaw. other than that good game. Expand
  97. Dec 13, 2012
    Another fantastic game from id with awkward graphics. The main campaign will take you about 10 hours between two hub cities filled with side activities to do, like playing a CCG, "wanted board" quests, gambling, and car racing. In fact about half of the game takes place in your vehicle of choice; whether you are traveling to the next mission objective, farming upgrade tickets, or justAnother fantastic game from id with awkward graphics. The main campaign will take you about 10 hours between two hub cities filled with side activities to do, like playing a CCG, "wanted board" quests, gambling, and car racing. In fact about half of the game takes place in your vehicle of choice; whether you are traveling to the next mission objective, farming upgrade tickets, or just hunting for sewer entrances (hidden DLC missions that comes free), there is a lot of non-FPS stuff to do. The main problems with this game are engine issues. There is a lot of texture popup without .cfg tweaks and a lot of the environmental objects (tables, radios, books, etc.) look like they have a single texture on them. It's a bit jarring when characters have real fluid, complex animations and top-notch texture and model work but they are surrounded by untextured objects. If you can deal with the uneven graphics, this is a real solid (albeit too easy) game. Expand
  98. Dec 10, 2012
    Wasted Potenzial. The biggest problem is the empty dead game world. After Oblivion Bethesda has forgotten the art of create living Dungeons. After Wolfenstein 3 ID has forgotten to give the Option to replay any level whis all weapons and skills. After the first visit all dungeos are empty forever, no creature will hiding in a empty hole. Its like Borderlands without enemys. Its like otherWasted Potenzial. The biggest problem is the empty dead game world. After Oblivion Bethesda has forgotten the art of create living Dungeons. After Wolfenstein 3 ID has forgotten to give the Option to replay any level whis all weapons and skills. After the first visit all dungeos are empty forever, no creature will hiding in a empty hole. Its like Borderlands without enemys. Its like other Bethesda games in the last time, wunderful ruins and dungeons but empty and boring! The simple OPTION to switch RESPAWN ON and OFF, for peoples they love it or love it not, is to complicated for ID and Beth. Shame! Expand
  99. Dec 2, 2012
    CONS..........Well lets start with the cons. It seems that a lot of individuals are having problems with the programming of the game. Now I can say that I just recently bought it and beat it AND I HAVE NOT encountered any crashes. None what so ever, the game has been patched and that's it. Minimal glitching if ever, I got my car stuck once in the entire game. If you don't save often, youCONS..........Well lets start with the cons. It seems that a lot of individuals are having problems with the programming of the game. Now I can say that I just recently bought it and beat it AND I HAVE NOT encountered any crashes. None what so ever, the game has been patched and that's it. Minimal glitching if ever, I got my car stuck once in the entire game. If you don't save often, you will pay the price. The hardest setting is underestimated, it is brutally hard, sometimes just getting hit once you will die. I did beat it on nightmare mode, but I saved often and I am a veteran FPS. If your not and think this is going to be some Halo legendary difficulty. You will be wrong, an average soldier needs to be hit at least twice in the head WITH A SNIPER ROUND to kill him. You will never on nightmare difficulty, kill an authority with one bullet. They have what is called a Fat Boy, which is an expensive round and probably one of the most powerful. Still going to take 3 or 4 shots. The story is intriguing, but I wanted a little more information on the history of present and past. The asteroid hits and destroy's mankind and then you start playing. I want to know more of the last 50 years, a little more give would have been nice. Spoiler somewhat here, be aware........The most problematic contusion with the game, is that this game is seemingly supposed to be the start of a franchise. That being so, if the game is not continued into a sequel anytime soon, then the story ending is without a doubt horrible. It is a 20 second ending, that is all they give you.

Pros........ The game is totally atmospheric, and brilliantly designed with the beauty of a grand canyon like symmetry. The graphics are phenomenal, the reason why viewers are upset is that objects you are not looking at will degrade in texture. Usually if your out in a very large opening, by tweaking the graphical settings, this is fixed. On the regular setting it does downgrade textures you are looking at, this because not everyone owns a super computer like myself. Wider audience is what they were shooting for. The enemies intelligence is surprising and cunning. The way they hide and communicate, the true terror of being chased down by a group of mutants. This is without a doubt one of my most adrenaline fueled games I have played recently. The character acting is well done, it is short, John Goodman in the begging, I would have liked to have seen more of him, his style in the initial start is intriguing. The animation is on bar with some of the best games out their, facial appearance of the character is one of best. Only being beat by the likes of Crysis. The races are surprisingly fun and addictive, leveling up your ride with race certificates is fun and rewarding. And you will need a better ride if you chose to survive in the wasteland. You can win money, by participating in Mutant Mash Tv. Each episode of the tv show gets increasingly harder. With the cash from the show, you can upgrade your weapons with better ammo or buy better weaponry. The game does a good job at showing you were to go on the mini map, I would have like an interactive map that blew up on to my screen. But it was efficient, I liked the way of the dotted line points you to where you are supposed to go.

Final thoughts- I am much intrigued with how they fixed the game from it's initial launch. Yet by having inefficiencies during the launch. It has haltered and almost created a cult like negative talk about the game. If players were to play it today, they would not see the same game on launch. It is fixed, but maybe to late. I waited to buy this game, and bought it for $5. Now after paying for it, I would have bought for $40. But their just isn't enough their for a $60 purchase. I recommend it, but not at a premium cost. The game gets a 7.8 out 10 from me.

Review By CD0
  100. Dec 2, 2012
    I will preface this by stating that I played this game ages (in computer time) after it came out, so I can not really comment on the numerous technical problems that heard of. From what I saw, I am forced to assume that they have been resolved; whether by the updates to the game or as a result of the higher-powered hardware, I cannot say.

Giving RAGE a six out of ten was not an easy

Giving RAGE a six out of ten was not an easy thing for me to do. There was a part of me that really wanted to give it a higher score. I can honestly say that I really enjoyed it, but I am forced to ignore that feeling and address the things whose absence kept the game from really standing out among the rank and file.
    The core mechanics are solid. I mean really solid. The shooting sections of RAGE felt balanced, challenging enough to kill me occasionally, but not so much as to cause frustration. The various "tools of the trade", so to speak, allow the player to approach combat as they see fit; whether that be picking the enemy off from a distance, or tromping right into the thick of it with guns blazing. The levels are indisputably linear, and while that certainly affects the game as a whole I cannot say that it took away from the core experience that I expect when sitting down to play a shooter. When stepping outside the various locations and hopping behind the wheel of one of RAGE's vehicles, I was pleasantly surprised. It felt like id really put in some time on the physics here. The vehicles have a feel of being driven, not just moved. The combat here was fun as well, the skill for success being primarily knowing how and when to use your items for optimal results. Possibly the worst part of my time in the cars was that it drew attention to what was missing, but more on that later.
    Overall, I was impressed by the graphics. To the point where my completion time for the game was probably stretched out due to my stopping from time to time to appreciate the rocks. There were certainly things that could have been improved. I ran across a fair amount of textures that were not up to par with the rest of them, often strangely situated on object that were definitely going to be right in your face. I can only assume that either higher quality versions are not loading, or they were just considered to be of less importance (several times this occurred in places where there was something you would normally have focused on primarily, and I did not notice until reviewing screenshots I took). Perhaps the most wonderful part of the graphical element of the game to me was the expressiveness of the characters. They had their own ways of moving, and their own facial tics. The result of this is that I can say id has sold me the most believable digital person I have seen in a video game to date, if considered for expressiveness alone. This, unfortunately, also served to highlight some of the things that I felt were woefully absent, and could have made RAGE into a great game.
    For all the parts of a great whole that are present, it feels like some components were not assembled to spec. There is an open desert wasteland, and it really does not feel like there is anything there. You are given freedom, but nowhere to go. The game seems like a hint at some massive idea of a much greater scope that was not realized. The characters have wonderful expression, but they don't really play much of a role for the player, other than to dispense supplies and missions. This is probably the greatest shame of RAGE. If there had been a stronger story, the characters may have had something to express.
    In closing, I would agree that the game is rather short, even if I did enjoy the time that I spent playing it. I would recommend playing it, but with the caveat that the best parts of RAGE are the parts where you are shooting things. You should probably enjoy shooters if you plan of buying this game. If you are looking for a sandbox, it sadly falls short of the mark, even if it feels like it could have hit that mark easily. To be bluntly honest, I think seeing how the characters move and emote, and just how damn pretty the game world is is fun in its own right.

Now, for my list of petty grievances:
    A lot of the characters seem to have poor quality textures on their hands.
    The game feels like a primer for a sequel, but it does not feel like there is adequate story for more than a prologue. (I treat this as petty because I consider RAGE as a shooter, not a book, regardless of how I feel the lack of a strong story negatively impacted the characters)
    Please stop blocking paths in ways that could easily be circumvented by myself, and effortlessly by someone able to battle authoritarian forces bent on domination. A chair does not weight that much, I can move it. And yes, I won't run through fire but I might just step up onto the chair that is positioned a meter to the right of the fire filled opening, and climb over the chest high barrier that the opening passes through.
  101. Oct 4, 2011
    I registered an account here just to say how horridly iD and Bethesda botched the PC port of Rage. I have a system that is well above recommended specs with a very common ATI card and the texture draw in and framerate issues on launch are horrendous. How this game got out the door in this shape is a mystery to me, but now I would be curious to see it on my PS3. Perhaps PC users are noI registered an account here just to say how horridly iD and Bethesda botched the PC port of Rage. I have a system that is well above recommended specs with a very common ATI card and the texture draw in and framerate issues on launch are horrendous. How this game got out the door in this shape is a mystery to me, but now I would be curious to see it on my PS3. Perhaps PC users are no longer worthy of receiving a working product? Collapse

1. Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]