3.5

1. May 10, 2013
    After reading through all of the posts it seems that there are a good number of trolls out there that just want to hate on some game for being cute. And then there are the bots of the world making perfect of near perfect scores for even worst piles of rotten road-kill stinking up the sidewalk. Ragnarok Online 2 is the sequel to a much loved and celebrated MMORPG from the pasts of manyAfter reading through all of the posts it seems that there are a good number of trolls out there that just want to hate on some game for being cute. And then there are the bots of the world making perfect of near perfect scores for even worst piles of rotten road-kill stinking up the sidewalk. Ragnarok Online 2 is the sequel to a much loved and celebrated MMORPG from the pasts of many gamers out there and unfortunately I have to say that it’s does not do justice to its predecessor. But don’t get me wrong here. That does not mean it’s a bad game by any means.
    When comparing the new Ragnarok with the old one, you need to take the metal spike out of your head and just stop. This is a full 3D game with many restrictions that the old sprites didn’t have to worry about. It’s hard to make a 3D game where the characters move at lightning speed while attacking and still make it look good or even be able to keep up with the movements. They had to make sacrifices for the new game. So if you’re a Ragnarok fanboy and you’re going to nitpick over small things and whine that it’s not Ragnarok one then go play Ragnarok one and stop yelling in my ear. But I digress.
    The game itself I particularly ordinary; it still has the cutesy look to it, but then again so do so many other MMORPGs out there. It’s honestly become something for independent development companies and not decades old, multinational, online gaming corporation. At this point it just becomes a lazy standard, although sometimes the bosses can me a little creative.
    The controls were decent and somewhat easy to learn, but I still had to tweak it a little for my own preferences. The gameplay is similar to just about any other MMORPG, aside from being a little faster than normal. Though with this aside, it’s still it’s just the same grind missions one after the other until a boss at some point. However, the game can be played solo for the most part as it seems to be on a sort easy mode the entire time. This can be fun for those who like to progress quickly through games, but can become boring as there is rarely any challenge put before you. Also, the cut into small arena like areas which gets rid of any thought of it being an open world type game.
    There really is no story to speak of throughout the game’s many hours of playtime aside from the small bit you get in the beginning of the game and the smaller, scattered pieces throughout the game all until the end.
    Ragnarok Online 2 is one of those games that may fade quickly into the shadows of its predecessor. It’s painfully average on so many levels and I really didn’t even want to write a review on it. However, the game is free. There are micro-transactions that can speed things up, but that’s it. You just download it on Steam or on the website and play. So with all of the above listed items along with the free to play part jammed in I would like to give this one a 6. It’s a Decent and free game that you will either love or hate, but seriously, for all those that have the audacity to call this a 1 or 0. You have never actually played a 1 or a 0 game before have you?
    Alpha Protocal=4 (Below average)
    Secret Service =2 (Trash)
    Mind Jack=1 (Bad for your health)
    Sonic Free Riders =0 (Destroy all copies on site)
    Play these. You can easily find them in the hundreds in just about any bargain bin.
  2. May 9, 2013
    I agree with most of the reviews so far, with the exception that most of them make the comparison with the first Ragnarok and complain about things that, as far as I could see, are granted in most other games and never complain in those games, so I want to start judge the game as it is. And as far as I can see, the game is just "ok": it plays like another WoW clone, which means that ifI agree with most of the reviews so far, with the exception that most of them make the comparison with the first Ragnarok and complain about things that, as far as I could see, are granted in most other games and never complain in those games, so I want to start judge the game as it is. And as far as I can see, the game is just "ok": it plays like another WoW clone, which means that if you have played an mmorpg with similar mechanics of that game, you'll have an idea of what you're going to get, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing, because people who have played similar games will feel "at home", while having a new system could have made things a little more interesting for sure, but would take time to get used. Infact, we get the usual killing and fetch quests as well with very few variations, in which many complain and have all the rights to do so...if it wasn't for the fact that it's never discussed in other games where quests are either the exact type (WoW) or "different"(Guild Wars 2), and both are equally boring as well, but never addressed. However we got some differences: I liked that you have to choose your "path" at level 25, making you become 1 out of 2 possible "classes", and actually some of these classes can do different roles, like a beastmaster and the monk: nothing special but I don't see many mmorpgs (except maybe WoW, but I don't know many others)), that has more than 2 classes that can do the same role! Also, each character can have one profession only and works in a similar way like Guild Wars 2, as in that item made will give you experience. However, you won't need any kind of support: you can do these items anywhere, and that's a good plus. Skills also are learned only via talent points, which means you won't need to learn anything from any trainers, which means more gold to spend. Also liked that you have a sort of "Achievement" system that actually grants you some good benefits, with also having titles that give you stats. About stats, each level gives you also points that you can use them to upgrade your status, like strength, vitality etc...but here it's not a big freedom, considering that each class use only few stats. Should have been automatic instead. Another lack of freedom is the customization, which isn't exactly big since we only get humans, an ok amount of customization options (we got also voices, but It's not we hear them talking so often) and the rest is just costumes. But I have to say that I liked the graphics in their "cartoon-ish" way, even though for some reasons it's highly unstable on my computer and I can run most of my games on top details. And one big problem I had while playing also is the slow pace of the levelling...If you don't have a lot of time on your hands, be ready to level up extremely slowly, since that you'll need at least 30 or more minutes to level one time, or even more. That's common for a f2p, but still will take a lot of time to level up. Or maybe I'm just slow. All in all as you can see, this game is just ok, and I don't understand all the bashing upon this game...but I can see why, especially that I also played the original Ragnarok Online 1 (although for a very short time), and I can see people being disappointed, because they hoped for an improved version of the first game, and instead we get another WoW clone. And that's why a lot of people are complaining, and in that regard I can't say much, except that while the first game had a lot of good feature and many people hoped for a great game, I'm not able to compare them exactly well...but I can still say this game is "ok", but nothing more. It'll need some time to become better, but for those who loved the first Ragnarok to the end, my advice is just to look away. For those who wants a good game, look away as well, considering the amount of good f2p around the internet, although as much as I don't dislike this game, I don't see also many good reasons to like it either. So...give it a look if you're curious, and either enjoy it or hate it. Expand
  3. May 9, 2013
    Ive noticed there are a ton of 0s and 1s and the like for this game, and I really dont think it is deserving of a 0 or 1 by any means, and those 0s or 1s are likely from people that are expressing their anger instead of actually properly reviewing the game for what it is.

What the game is, is a generic run-of-the-mill F2P Korean-style MMORPG that takes place in the Ragnarok universe.

It is not an outstandingly horrible game like how many scores give it, and if you think that Ragnarok Online 2 is a 0 or 1... then you havent truly played a horrible game.

Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of the original Ragnarok Online, and I am also disappointed in what this game has become, but really, if you think this game is worse than something like Bad Rats... you have issues.

anyways, on to the actual review.

RO2 has been in the making for years upon years, and it basically dropped off the radar for me for quite a long time until I saw the announcement that it was going to be available on Steam. Given that I was a fan of the original game, I decided to give it a try, not knowing what to expect.

the positives:
    Less issues on launch with the servers than most other highly anticipated MMOs
    The 2D art for the game is still superb

the negatives:
    they ripped out the Ragnarok Online "feel" and replaced everything with a generic 3D F2P Korean-style MMORPG feel
    Game engine feels like its more than half a decade old...
    Very limited settings (ex: camera sensitivity is in the stratosphere with no option to change it)
    LOTS of bugs
    LOTS of lag
    Poor localization

So in the end, the game got boring extremely fast due to the crazy grindy nature (which Koreans tend to have a fetish with), and what was left of the the charm of the Ragnarok Online universe was easy worn through, with everything looking cheap. There just isnt enough about the game that can set it apart from the massive sea of mediocre MMORPGs out there.

the only thing that makes it stand out in any way was the fact that it was in the Ragnarok universe, the rest of everything is as mediocre beyond anything.
  4. May 12, 2013
    Honestly, I found the game play to be entertaining while playing with friends. The bad voice acting and very similar WoW mechanics make the game somewhat pleasing. I don't think the game deserves a red score, but that's other peoples opinions.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. CD-Action
    Jun 4, 2013
    It tries to balance between tried and true mechanics of World of Warcraft and the ideas that made the first Ragnarok popular. The outcome is mediocre – boring combat, gameplay based on uninspired quests (‘kill 20 of those’) and small, almost linear world. [CD-Action 07/2013, p.65]
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    Ragnarok Online 2, at the end of the day, is an interesting MMO with some tragic design decisions. The good news is that most of these issues can be fixed, so long as the companies choose to fix them. I imagine the Ragnarok IP of old could be popular again one day, but for the time being, most people will want to let leave this title for the carrion.