6.4

1. Feb 9, 2012
    Brilliant game with a lot of depth and a lot of fun to play. I am not a train maniac, trainspotter, or anything like that, just a regular gamer looking for a good game. This one definitely is a good game, great even. I would have never expected that driving a train is so much fun. This sim gives you really good mechanics, (easy to learn but difficult to master), and hundreds of trains andBrilliant game with a lot of depth and a lot of fun to play. I am not a train maniac, trainspotter, or anything like that, just a regular gamer looking for a good game. This one definitely is a good game, great even. I would have never expected that driving a train is so much fun. This sim gives you really good mechanics, (easy to learn but difficult to master), and hundreds of trains and routes (with DLCs and fan content). What I don't like about it is a game engine, which is dated and not very smooth, even on decent machines (Core i7, 6GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5560). Also DLCs pricing is quite hard on your pocket, on the other hand you can get a lot of fan made content for free. Overall - A great game with hundreds of hours of gameplay and minor bugs. For everyone who enjoys gaming not for train lovers only. Expand
  2. Feb 2, 2012
    "The concept may seem boring but believe me it's a hoot and a half"

Red the full review http://www.insidepcgaming.com/review-scores/games/railworks-3-train-simulator-2012
  3. Jan 12, 2012
    In a nutshell, Railworks 3 is the best in its genre by a long long way. The scope of this simulation is massive, as is shown by the huge quantity of DLC available on Steam. There are a core selection of routes and trains to appeal to a broad spectrum of rail enthusiasts and the regular Steam sales mean that DLC can often be picked up at a discount price.

If you are not into driving

If you are not into driving trains then this sim will not be for you; I would imagine there are many people who will not get it and shake their head in disbelief that such a title would even exist. I would respectfully say to stay away and let those of us who are into rail simming to enjoy it without the negative comments.

The recent scenarios have been more inventive and show a definite progression in quality. Horsehoe Curve route in the deluxe edition raises the quality bar with stunning scenery and cinematic scenarios which include a credible storyline. The cheap DLC Trains vs Zombies is another recent highlight which shows that the developers have a sense of humour and do not take themselves too seriously.

There are some bugs, but because the sim is so vast I think they are forgivable. Also, there are frequent Steam updates whenever there are major issues.

If this was just a sim I would give it a 7/10 but what pushes Railworks from good to great, hence my 9/10 score is the toolkit which forms part of the package. Although there is a learning curve, the tools to build your own routes and scenarios are surprisingly powerful and the sense of satisfaction of creating your own content is amazing. There is a thriving online community where FREE routes and scenarios are widely available, some of which rival the available payware.

I have spent hundreds of hours playing Railworks and based on that I think the value for money is phenomenal.
  4. Jul 12, 2012
    Great game for anyone who has a interest in railways, with a variety of DLC and lots of free content out there. However the DLC does get a bit pricey.
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    Does what I want it to do, now the question is what I want it to do! After I go commando and shoot down a army, win a game of shogun 2, I want a peaceful relaxing vista. This fits the bill. Best relaxing game I have played, not for the shooter fan though...
  6. Jan 22, 2013
    To be blunt: this is NOT a train simulation. It is a train driving game. The physics are extremely unrealistic, as anyone who actually knows about trains can attest (and from the looks of the reviews here, most people do not know about trains). The graphics are amazing. I'll give it that. But that's all I will give it.
    If you are running an SD40-2 coupled to 100 coal hoppers, you can make
    If you are running an SD40-2 coupled to 100 coal hoppers, you can make it up a mountain at 40 MPH in notch 1, something that would never happen in real life.
    Everything is DLC. Compare this to other train simulators, where there a huge amounts of free content available.
    And you are letting steam on to your computer.
  7. Dec 23, 2011
    I like simulators and the better they are, the more I like them. The whole idea of a sim is to engross yourself into something you could not otherwise do maybe due to cost, or because you've retired etc. This sim includes wonderful detail and drive-ability and I like to get completely lost in it after a stressful day at work. The only shortcoming is the hooter sound on some loco's.I like simulators and the better they are, the more I like them. The whole idea of a sim is to engross yourself into something you could not otherwise do maybe due to cost, or because you've retired etc. This sim includes wonderful detail and drive-ability and I like to get completely lost in it after a stressful day at work. The only shortcoming is the hooter sound on some loco's. Considering how fantastic the diesel engines sound and their power, some of the hooters are embarrassing! Obviously electronic synth. I don't believe this is my PC since the engine, doors, ambient sounds etc are all really good. Can we please have a free sound upgrade??
    Fantastic sim tho!!!
  8. Mar 9, 2012
    I can tell from reading the rest of the reviews here that I'll get a lot of flak for saying this, but here goes... I'm going to be blunt here: this is my least favorite game of all time. Why? It's a blatant money making scheme that almost insults the intelligence of the simulation gamer. The game itself is a pretty OK simulation game that can keep your attention for an hour at a time, andI can tell from reading the rest of the reviews here that I'll get a lot of flak for saying this, but here goes... I'm going to be blunt here: this is my least favorite game of all time. Why? It's a blatant money making scheme that almost insults the intelligence of the simulation gamer. The game itself is a pretty OK simulation game that can keep your attention for an hour at a time, and maybe for as long as you own it about 10 - 15 hours total. Then you realize that the base game, overpriced already as it is, is incomplete. There seems like there should be so much more there... and there is! You just need to pay about $200 in area expansion DLC. Now here's where things get worse: there are now about $1800 worth of Railworks Train Simulator 2012 DLC. Only those $200 I mentioned earlier are justifiable, because all of the DLC besides those (and a mildly exciting Zombies vs. Trains DLC) are seriously them just reskinning trains (to an experienced modeler this can take less than 10 minutes). That's about $1600 in reskins that have had so little effort put into them. I don't know one gamer, NOT ONE, who can look me in the eyes and tell me that $1600 is a justifiable amount of money to spend on ANY game, much less a decent train sim, especially when most of that money is pouring into something that just about any modder could do in an hour or two. If you think the base game will be fun, wait until it's like 75% off and go for it, but DO NOT let it become a money sink-hole, and DO NOT buy into their scheme. You and I both know you're smarter than that. Expand
  9. Nov 26, 2011
    I'm not sure how you can rate a game a 0 just because it has over $1000 of DLC. Most games, or simulators of this type have lots of content made by 3rd parties. Just look at all the content for Microsoft Flight Simulator. This actually makes the game more interesting because you can add what you want and keeps the replay value high. That being said I think the game should be rated onI'm not sure how you can rate a game a 0 just because it has over $1000 of DLC. Most games, or simulators of this type have lots of content made by 3rd parties. Just look at all the content for Microsoft Flight Simulator. This actually makes the game more interesting because you can add what you want and keeps the replay value high. That being said I think the game should be rated on it's merits. This game does exactly what it says. If your interested in driving a train through beautiful landscapes and challenging environments, then this game is for you. If you have no interest in driving a train, don't buy it. It is definately made for a select niche of simulator fans. And for these fans it's an awesome simulator. Make sure you have the machine to run it though. Expand
  10. Oct 2, 2011
    You are going to need a powerful PC to run Train Simulator 2012 in all its polygon-rich glory. Attention to detail is impressive and the simulator is both immersive and entertaining for the most part. Discount advertising from Rail Simulator while watching the loading screen for more than a minute is a little frustrating, as are some of the load times. Some graphic and texture issues.You are going to need a powerful PC to run Train Simulator 2012 in all its polygon-rich glory. Attention to detail is impressive and the simulator is both immersive and entertaining for the most part. Discount advertising from Rail Simulator while watching the loading screen for more than a minute is a little frustrating, as are some of the load times. Some graphic and texture issues. Ensure you have plenty of RAM and a powerful GPU if you want all the eye candy TS 2012 offers. Expand
  11. Dec 25, 2011
    Bought Railworks 3 a few weeks ago and playing the games are very good. I've been very unlucky building my own route, because I've had problems putting trains on the track, game freezes, had to reinstall and lost my unfinished routes. Once Railworks can sort out these problems in route building then I'm sure it will be better.
  12. Jan 23, 2012
    It's a very fun game for regular gamers and train-lovers alike. Gameplay is very immersive and innovative. Railworks 3 : Train Simulator 2012 is off the rails entertainment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WXQL_pJc2I&feature=related
  13. Sep 29, 2011
    Having been a railfan and model railroader for some 50 years, this game is a dream come true! The sounds are quite authentic and the speeds and train responses have no other game comparison. Are there problems? Of course. To mention a few: some switches don't work, some locomotives cannot be activated, some PRR paint schemes are not authentic for the time period. What would I like to see?Having been a railfan and model railroader for some 50 years, this game is a dream come true! The sounds are quite authentic and the speeds and train responses have no other game comparison. Are there problems? Of course. To mention a few: some switches don't work, some locomotives cannot be activated, some PRR paint schemes are not authentic for the time period. What would I like to see? Some steam engines such as J1s and K4s - snow in winter time (as seen on the UK Somerset & Dorset - fog in the mountains - and more passenger and freight rolling stock. Still the game is a blast.
    By the way, I've ridden on trains in this area and during the time period represented many times.
  14. Dec 1, 2011
    I am going to rate this game a 7, even though I haven't played it yet. I have played most of the other rail-simulation games... ex: Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, Chris Sawyer's RailRoads and Lionel/Hasbro. It does look like a load of fun and looks as it is geared towards trains lovers everywhere and anywhere
    and with all of the DLC i'm sure the passion will never end. I wouln't recommend buying it for your 6 year old or teenager unless they ask for it by name.
  15. Nov 29, 2011
    This game has an old engine and the graphics are a bit outdated, but they release lots of DLC, update often, and the train physics are quite good. Then again, DLC gets pricey but for train lovers who find exactly what they want (I live near the sierras as portrayed in donner pass dlc) it seems to be worth it. If they're still developing and releasing stuff I think it's safe to say thisThis game has an old engine and the graphics are a bit outdated, but they release lots of DLC, update often, and the train physics are quite good. Then again, DLC gets pricey but for train lovers who find exactly what they want (I live near the sierras as portrayed in donner pass dlc) it seems to be worth it. If they're still developing and releasing stuff I think it's safe to say this game has a fan base regardless of the sillies who don't even know what it's about.

Guy who gave (McF) this a zero expects his train simulator to include wings and a jet engine, oh and a plane simulator too? Trains have rails. Don't try simulators if you don't have any clue what they entail. Nevermind the DLC price, you bought this game for the wrong reasons. Or didn't at all. I'd give it a 10 to counteract but that's almost as dumb as giving a game a 0 because one goes into it blindly. It's not perfect, but it delivers exactly what train fans want, if not a little poorly textured.
  16. Feb 12, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant Sim. graphics & FPS awesome no problems playing and the downloads from railsim are very easy although a little expensive for what you get. Downloaded the Oxford-Paddington mail express as i used to work for Royal Mail, truly realistic even to the york containers within the train. One critique if any is that the weather cannot be formulated for our individual tastes,Absolutely brilliant Sim. graphics & FPS awesome no problems playing and the downloads from railsim are very easy although a little expensive for what you get. Downloaded the Oxford-Paddington mail express as i used to work for Royal Mail, truly realistic even to the york containers within the train. One critique if any is that the weather cannot be formulated for our individual tastes, even if on the scenarios it was a random choice so as a different aspect each time could be achieved. I'm sure i shall be playing for many, many hours. Expand
  17. Dec 23, 2011
    If this game was less then $200 then I would rate it higher. I will wait for GOTY version that is not $1500+

"Just for the min 150 char limit meta critic has".
  18. Jun 17, 2012
    Must download from internet to play and re-download the same scenario when you fail and it takes forever even when you have road runner. The game is not on your computer. I am a rail buff but I am returning it to Wal Mart.
  19. Jul 23, 2012
    I have recently bought all of the dlc on steam and I am extremely unsatisfied with the amount of content that they have put into this game and how much you are missing if you do not buy 2027$ worth of dlc which is pretty stupid and now I cannot pay my rent.
  20. Jul 21, 2012
    Hello,
    Hello,
    I just want to say a little about the game and why i didn't rate it 10. The only reason is because its hard when your first beginning. Later on the game gets fun! For the 3 bucks i bought it for i would rate it worth it any day. But the only other thing i don't like is all the Dlc. If you bought them all 50% of they still cost 1000$. But i can't say anything else bad because altogether its the best simulation game i've ever played.!! Thanks for read my review i hope its helpful and not bias. John
  21. Aug 1, 2012
    To me, the most important feature of a simulator is that it simulates the controls and the physics as close as possible to the real thing. When driving a recent GE's locomotive, I expect to see working Integrated Function Displays. If the menus are not modeled, I expect at least the main screen to be completely working exactly as the real thing. It should show the brake pipe pressure, theTo me, the most important feature of a simulator is that it simulates the controls and the physics as close as possible to the real thing. When driving a recent GE's locomotive, I expect to see working Integrated Function Displays. If the menus are not modeled, I expect at least the main screen to be completely working exactly as the real thing. It should show the brake pipe pressure, the main reservoir pressure, the equalizing reservoir pressure, the brake cylinder pressure of the locomotive, the speed, the estimated speed in one minute, the reverser position, the power and brake lever positions, etc. The estimated speed in one minute is especially useful. Since you are in a simulator and can't feel G forces, it's hard to feel what is the current acceleration of the train. Right now, only the speed needle is modeled.

The controls that show up at the bottom of the screen could be improved. The power lever should show a notch number instead of a percentage. The brake lever should have tick marks to the side to show where are mininum reduction and full service. The automatic brake, the independent brake and the dynamic brake all use the same lever and you need to press one of three buttons beside the lever to choose which brake you want the lever to control. You can obviously see why this is a bad control scheme.

I don't like the horn. It's hard to do the short and long blow patterns properly. The horn keeps on going too long after you release the horn button.

As it is right now, it feels more like a toy than a simulator and the game loses its appeal to me.

Aside from those issues, the game is fine.
  22. Apr 12, 2013
    I am a Conductor for a Class 1 Railroad. I saw this and played a demo because I was interested to see how "real" this was. The inside of the cabs are modeled accurately, with the controls and interiors spot on. Aside from that, this game doesn't really do a good job of simulating trains or railroading at all. You see, in the Professional world of Railroading we have a name for people whoI am a Conductor for a Class 1 Railroad. I saw this and played a demo because I was interested to see how "real" this was. The inside of the cabs are modeled accurately, with the controls and interiors spot on. Aside from that, this game doesn't really do a good job of simulating trains or railroading at all. You see, in the Professional world of Railroading we have a name for people who loves trains and dont work for the Railroad: Railbuff's (or Railfans). Yes, REAL railroaders look down on these folks. Because Railfans only see the perceived "mystique" and "glory" of trains. In reality working on the railroad can be grueling and quite dangerous. This "simulator" plays on Railfans love and ignorance of trains. They get to work the throttle and brakes and make the train go back and forth and blow the horn- just like playing with a train set. However the physics of railroading does not translate at all in this game: slack, bunching, "train feel", grade, dynamic braking, ect. Railroading is more than going back and forth on a joyride. The way the train feels as it is operating is a big indicator about what is happening to it at any moment and this fact is something a simulator game like this can never capture. That and it is very inaccurate in terms of how yard/ track switches operate, signals, handbrakes, ect ect. I guess working for a real railroad ruins the "experience" (if you can call it that), but I have flown a plane before and even computer flight simulators convey more realism than this train simulator does. Don't buy it!! And if you are a Railbuff who thinks this will get you anywhere near the real thing- it wont, never, ever, ever!!! If you love trains so much then get a job with the railroad. Just remember to keep your Railfanning a secret because the Railroads dont like Buffs- they end up staring at the trains passing instead of paying attention to the shove they are supposed to be protecting and end up derailing something or hurting someone!!

Bottom line is: This game is just that- a game. It is not realistic nor representative of how trains actually operate!!!

1. Jan 16, 2012
    A great way to try your hand at driving a train. Unfortunately, load times are long and DLCs all cost extra, but optional simplified controls and a great look with many details and weather effects make this a good game. If you like trains, but can't or won't go for a miniature train, this simulation is for you.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    Too similar to RailWorks 2 to be a sequel, and with little fresh content, but the series is chugging along in the right direction.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Train Simulator 2012 is good at what it does but unfortunately that will appeal to a very narrow audience. Diehard train enthusiasts will love the incredible details and depth of gameplay but it will be lost on everyone else. Hardcore hobbyists need only apply.