6.4

1. Jan 22, 2013
    To be blunt: this is NOT a train simulation. It is a train driving game. The physics are extremely unrealistic, as anyone who actually knows about trains can attest (and from the looks of the reviews here, most people do not know about trains). The graphics are amazing. I'll give it that. But that's all I will give it.
    If you are running an SD40-2 coupled to 100 coal hoppers, you can make
    If you are running an SD40-2 coupled to 100 coal hoppers, you can make it up a mountain at 40 MPH in notch 1, something that would never happen in real life.
    Everything is DLC. Compare this to other train simulators, where there a huge amounts of free content available.
    And you are letting steam on to your computer.
  2. Mar 9, 2012
    I can tell from reading the rest of the reviews here that I'll get a lot of flak for saying this, but here goes... I'm going to be blunt here: this is my least favorite game of all time. Why? It's a blatant money making scheme that almost insults the intelligence of the simulation gamer. The game itself is a pretty OK simulation game that can keep your attention for an hour at a time, andI can tell from reading the rest of the reviews here that I'll get a lot of flak for saying this, but here goes... I'm going to be blunt here: this is my least favorite game of all time. Why? It's a blatant money making scheme that almost insults the intelligence of the simulation gamer. The game itself is a pretty OK simulation game that can keep your attention for an hour at a time, and maybe for as long as you own it about 10 - 15 hours total. Then you realize that the base game, overpriced already as it is, is incomplete. There seems like there should be so much more there... and there is! You just need to pay about $200 in area expansion DLC. Now here's where things get worse: there are now about $1800 worth of Railworks Train Simulator 2012 DLC. Only those $200 I mentioned earlier are justifiable, because all of the DLC besides those (and a mildly exciting Zombies vs. Trains DLC) are seriously them just reskinning trains (to an experienced modeler this can take less than 10 minutes). That's about $1600 in reskins that have had so little effort put into them. I don't know one gamer, NOT ONE, who can look me in the eyes and tell me that $1600 is a justifiable amount of money to spend on ANY game, much less a decent train sim, especially when most of that money is pouring into something that just about any modder could do in an hour or two. If you think the base game will be fun, wait until it's like 75% off and go for it, but DO NOT let it become a money sink-hole, and DO NOT buy into their scheme. You and I both know you're smarter than that. Expand
  3. Dec 23, 2011
    If this game was less then $200 then I would rate it higher. I will wait for GOTY version that is not $1500+

"Just for the min 150 char limit meta critic has".
  4. Jun 17, 2012
    Must download from internet to play and re-download the same scenario when you fail and it takes forever even when you have road runner. The game is not on your computer. I am a rail buff but I am returning it to Wal Mart.
  5. Jul 23, 2012
    I have recently bought all of the dlc on steam and I am extremely unsatisfied with the amount of content that they have put into this game and how much you are missing if you do not buy 2027$ worth of dlc which is pretty stupid and now I cannot pay my rent.
  6. Apr 12, 2013
    I am a Conductor for a Class 1 Railroad. I saw this and played a demo because I was interested to see how "real" this was. The inside of the cabs are modeled accurately, with the controls and interiors spot on. Aside from that, this game doesn't really do a good job of simulating trains or railroading at all. You see, in the Professional world of Railroading we have a name for people whoI am a Conductor for a Class 1 Railroad. I saw this and played a demo because I was interested to see how "real" this was. The inside of the cabs are modeled accurately, with the controls and interiors spot on. Aside from that, this game doesn't really do a good job of simulating trains or railroading at all. You see, in the Professional world of Railroading we have a name for people who loves trains and dont work for the Railroad: Railbuff's (or Railfans). Yes, REAL railroaders look down on these folks. Because Railfans only see the perceived "mystique" and "glory" of trains. In reality working on the railroad can be grueling and quite dangerous. This "simulator" plays on Railfans love and ignorance of trains. They get to work the throttle and brakes and make the train go back and forth and blow the horn- just like playing with a train set. However the physics of railroading does not translate at all in this game: slack, bunching, "train feel", grade, dynamic braking, ect. Railroading is more than going back and forth on a joyride. The way the train feels as it is operating is a big indicator about what is happening to it at any moment and this fact is something a simulator game like this can never capture. That and it is very inaccurate in terms of how yard/ track switches operate, signals, handbrakes, ect ect. I guess working for a real railroad ruins the "experience" (if you can call it that), but I have flown a plane before and even computer flight simulators convey more realism than this train simulator does. Don't buy it!! And if you are a Railbuff who thinks this will get you anywhere near the real thing- it wont, never, ever, ever!!! If you love trains so much then get a job with the railroad. Just remember to keep your Railfanning a secret because the Railroads dont like Buffs- they end up staring at the trains passing instead of paying attention to the shove they are supposed to be protecting and end up derailing something or hurting someone!!

Bottom line is: This game is just that- a game. It is not realistic nor representative of how trains actually operate!!!

1. Jan 16, 2012
    A great way to try your hand at driving a train. Unfortunately, load times are long and DLCs all cost extra, but optional simplified controls and a great look with many details and weather effects make this a good game. If you like trains, but can't or won't go for a miniature train, this simulation is for you.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    Too similar to RailWorks 2 to be a sequel, and with little fresh content, but the series is chugging along in the right direction.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Train Simulator 2012 is good at what it does but unfortunately that will appeal to a very narrow audience. Diehard train enthusiasts will love the incredible details and depth of gameplay but it will be lost on everyone else. Hardcore hobbyists need only apply.