3.6

1. Feb 1, 2015
    Oh dear God, this is a pre alpha sold as a full release. Before writing this, I thought I'd just be more efficient by listing the things that are NOT broken in it, but on second thought I can't really find much. From the very first moment you swing a weapon in this game, you'll know you've been had. The combat system and animations sent shockwaves of pure disgust down my bones. Ok,Oh dear God, this is a pre alpha sold as a full release. Before writing this, I thought I'd just be more efficient by listing the things that are NOT broken in it, but on second thought I can't really find much. From the very first moment you swing a weapon in this game, you'll know you've been had. The combat system and animations sent shockwaves of pure disgust down my bones. Ok, nevermind, I'll just go free sail like in Black Flag at least. NOPE. There is no free sailing. You go from predetermined point A to point B ONLY, and things might happen on the way. The facepalms almost went right through my skull. Is it worth it? Well, after 2+ years of patching and at a 90% sale, it might be. At least when nothing is moving it looks kinda nice. Expand
  2. Jan 30, 2015
    A severe step back from the already middling Two Worlds 2, Raven's Cry hammers the final nail into Reality Pump's coffin. A juvenile script that constantly confuses swearing for "maturity" and "edginess," stock standard art design, heinous voice acting and arguably the worst combat animations I've seen in years. Throw in a huge mound of bugs and broken environments and you have one of theA severe step back from the already middling Two Worlds 2, Raven's Cry hammers the final nail into Reality Pump's coffin. A juvenile script that constantly confuses swearing for "maturity" and "edginess," stock standard art design, heinous voice acting and arguably the worst combat animations I've seen in years. Throw in a huge mound of bugs and broken environments and you have one of the most disastrous so far this year.

For the love of god people, do not support these developers. They need to disappear.
  3. Feb 7, 2015
    Duuro Magazine Official Review

Duuro Magazine Official Review

The constant delays of the title, the minute release of information regarding it . . . it all served just to push that want of the title to see the light of day. At the same time, those also served as warning signs of a faulty development cycle – and this holds true. While there is a spark of life to be found here, almost everything from the art assets, to performance, to the under developed mechanics, and even the obviously cut content. Everything about this title screams “I'm not a finished product”, though we see it for digital download all the same, and at full retail price at that. Long story short, this game is not fit for purchase.

Don't consider this a review . . . this is a PSA.

Don't buy Raven's Cry.

Don't support these sort of decisions.

Read the full review - http://duuro.net/ravens-cry-review/
  4. Feb 6, 2015
    Shameful to release such a half finished, disjointed, and empty game. Terrible quests, empty maps, cliched forgettable characters and terrible voice talents.
    Even if every single bug gets patched, at the core is a terrible game. You can't patch that.
  5. Mar 12, 2015
    What a RIP OFF. If you liked Two Worlds and thought that the folks that made TW2 would produce something at least as good, think again. This game sucks and I wish there were a law that a game cannot be sold that doesn't work/isn't finished. It is outright fraud and I hope this studio goes bankrupt and the owners go to jail for fraud. GAME SUCKS.
  6. Feb 9, 2015
    Raven's Cry is a good looking game, but, look isn't everything. Raven's Cry has a really broken combat, voices are missing, and the ones that are there are really bad. Graphics are good, but poor optimization, resuming, this game looks like an early access game on steam. And you can't travel in sea, just in a map to point A to point B, and B to C. Don't buy, just if this game pass in atRaven's Cry is a good looking game, but, look isn't everything. Raven's Cry has a really broken combat, voices are missing, and the ones that are there are really bad. Graphics are good, but poor optimization, resuming, this game looks like an early access game on steam. And you can't travel in sea, just in a map to point A to point B, and B to C. Don't buy, just if this game pass in at least 3 years patching, and reduce 60% of his price. Expand
  7. Feb 2, 2015
    Raven's cry feels like an early access game. It feels like a game in its alpha stage. The mechanics, ideas are there, but the way they did everything is extremely bad.

The game feels sluggish, movement is somewhat responsive, but it doesn't feel like you're moving a person, more like a box with a pair of legs. Combat is absolutely horrible, it's binary and is basically one button mashing until the red bar on the top of your screen disappears, no skill needed. Not to mention the forced stealth sections that were put in the game for absolutely no reason at all. Tutorials on anything are absolutely horrible, it's like they've been done for the sake of being done, not to teach the player how to play the game.
    There are quite a few cutscenes in the game and they all are awful. Voice actors don't even seem like they are trying, lip syncing is either very bad, non existent or the mouth literally does not move. Sometimes there is no voice at all only the mouth movement, or neither of the two. The characters barely move during cutscenes - the entire face is stone cold 90% of the time, no facial expressions regardless weather the character is shouting, scared, angry, etc.

There is one good thing - the ship fighting, it's pretty interesting, has nice mechanics, is somewhat well made.

There is no way this game is worth 49.49€, not until they finish it. At best it's a 10€ project in it's alpha state.
  8. Feb 5, 2015
    Unfinished game: avoid like the plague. Even with patches.

THE GOOD: - Nice graphics - Enjoyable music THE BAD: - Tons of bugs and glitches - Game crashes frequently and at random - Terrible frame-rate, complete lack of optimization - Controls are clunky and do not flow well - Combat system is limited - Voice overs are largely missing and those that are there are pathetically
    Unfinished game: avoid like the plague. Even with patches.

THE GOOD:
    - Nice graphics
    - Enjoyable music

THE BAD:
    - Tons of bugs and glitches
    - Game crashes frequently and at random
    - Terrible frame-rate, complete lack of optimization
    - Controls are clunky and do not flow well
    - Combat system is limited
    - Voice overs are largely missing and those that are there are pathetically done
    - Laughable dialogs
    - Boring missions, static world
  9. Feb 2, 2015
    I just played like 5 to 10 minutes of this game and was stunned by poorest gameplay, fighting scenes and childish "swearing". There`s not much can be said about this game. It`s disaster. This game needs more time. Like a lot of guys said, it seems it`s in pre-alpha stage.
  10. Feb 6, 2015
    Anyone who buys this game, and supports these criminal "developers" (I use the term loosely) deserves to have a spider crawl up their urethra. Actually, I take that back...having a spider crawl up your urethra would be more pleasant than playing this broken, unfinished, cash-grab masquerading as a game. So anyone who buys this game deserves to play this game through to the end (HaAnyone who buys this game, and supports these criminal "developers" (I use the term loosely) deserves to have a spider crawl up their urethra. Actually, I take that back...having a spider crawl up your urethra would be more pleasant than playing this broken, unfinished, cash-grab masquerading as a game. So anyone who buys this game deserves to play this game through to the end (Ha Ha...jokes on you....you would kill yourself in despair long before getting to the end of this pile of feces...if you could even get to the end, which you can't, because the bugs won't let you!). Don't buy this game, or any other from these thieves. Expand
  11. Feb 6, 2015
    it's obvious to see this game sucks. reality pumps are getting to a hell of pieces.
    i rather to play the abysmal risen 3 than ever play this thing again. my official contender to the worst game of 2015.
  12. Feb 1, 2015
    I've kept my eye on the release of this for a while hoping that it would live up to its hype; firstly I don't consider this open world, it is more a collection of locations that you may fast travel to with no meaningful exploration and areas that are closed of by barriers, invisible walls and abrupt messages of "you can go no further, turn back".

There is no free sailing on the seas to

There is no free sailing on the seas to attack ships or around the islands, the towns have little to offer in the way of interaction, its a far cry from the elder scrolls where you may loot even the forks off the tables, explore anywhere, interact with any npcs you see fit, you get the picture.

As well, I was underwhelmed by the dialog, there was a great deal of echo in much of the voice acting, may characters lines were silent , the language and swearing would seem over the top and out of place
    perhaps if I played longer it would improve, I doubt it.
  13. Jan 31, 2015
    well what can i say about this game i was expecting a top pirate game not a rip of of risen yes risen and black flag lot could have been done with this game i've played 5 mins of it and to be honest i'm lost as to what the story is and whats actually going on terrible voice acting terrible plot well is there a plot or just a mish mash of cut scenes that make no sense and the graphics wellwell what can i say about this game i was expecting a top pirate game not a rip of of risen yes risen and black flag lot could have been done with this game i've played 5 mins of it and to be honest i'm lost as to what the story is and whats actually going on terrible voice acting terrible plot well is there a plot or just a mish mash of cut scenes that make no sense and the graphics well their ok but still it could be better is the game as bad all the all time worst game ever ride to hell it could well be its a shame to be honest i had high hopes for this game instead all i got was risen 3 but worse and a rip off off black flag to boot only thing pirate about this game is the fact i bought it i was robbed Expand
  14. Feb 19, 2015
    The game is horrible. Looks ok but the bugs killed it. Couldn't even finish the tutorial because the guy I was supposed to meet at the docks never shows up and for some reason my pistol has a tendency to disappear.
  15. Feb 6, 2015
    You can't even call this "a game". Is an unfinished mess, a huge bubble of bugs, ridden with emptiness, abysmal voice acting, broken sound system and laughable combat.
  16. Feb 3, 2015
    When people start hating some game they are like bees, total hive mind

When people start hating some game they are like bees, total hive mind

If you look on Assasin Creed pirate game, this is like 10x better when it comes to game mechanics, no idiotic arcade gameplay, actual challenge, no jumping around like moron and you can die in battle, in AC you just press F in right moment and you block everything and are immortal (something appealing to children and console people without reflexes), not to mention nonexisting "stealth" mechanics in AC (which is stealth game)
    Yet that game gets 9-10 points because it is pretty and have studio with hundred employee and huge publisher backing them so they can spent budged of Reality Pump only on voice actors, not to mention huge marketing campaign

Sure, game was released in poor technical state and they should be blamed for that, its something unacceptable if you want your game to be successful (cant say I had problems with it, it works well for me), but just give them some time to patch technical issues and bugs
  17. Feb 2, 2015
    Raven's cry vs Assassins Creed Black Flag

If you are waiting for a game as " assassins creed black flag" forget. But if you are waiting for a different game but similar to AC BF maybe this game is not a bad idea. This game is a different game but in many ways resemble the " asssassins creed BF" Despite my expectations are such a good game or better than " Assassins creed black flag"
    Raven's cry vs Assassins Creed Black Flag

The truth is that the legends are not manufactured every year , but rather appear from time to time . It is unfair to be demanding a computer game as good or better than the " Assassins creed BF".

Let see:

- Naval battles:

Yes, it's identical to AC BF, but the commands are more complicated and the guns are not so accurate.
    We have various types of ammunition and unlike AC BF board the ship is not very easy.
    In this game we can buy other boats and make upgrades in them as in AC BF
    The line of fire is equal to the AC however has only one direction and is controlled only up and down. Has more realism to be this way, is not as arcade style.
    The death in the crew is the same as AC. Depending we being targeted the crew dies.

- Trade and earn money

Yes, we can buy and sell goods where it is most profitable.
    We won more board a ship instead of destroying it

- Fights

The commands are more complicated and not so spontaneous.
    We have various kinds of items to equip, swords, pistols, etc. and we can buy a wide range of options.
    Defend sword attack is much more hard than the AC BF, and sometimes it makes little sense. If we are not facing enemy no need to defend because we are always hurted.... The animation when the enemy is hit is not as good as AC BF.
    Ammunition for the pistol are very expensive. One bullet costs 100 (One shot only). change the ship's sails for example are 150 ..
    We can kill the enemy without him repair, but always on the ground as opposed to AC.
    Sometimes the movements are stopped, but it's nothing special.
    Only some weapons we can get from the dead bodies, but we can loot something else

- Graphics, dialogs and history.

The dialogues have a bug, sometimes the actors lose the voice and put subtitles to replace the sound.
    The graphics are good and the atmosphere is pleasant and realistic.
    We have the main story and many other quests over playing time.
    The graphics from time to time have bugs but nothing serious.
    Sometimes the player gets stuck in the scenario.
  18. Feb 5, 2015
    Things to consider - This game was in production before AC: Black Flag was even a concept, and Ubi has a TON more resources opposed to the very small studio of Reality Pump, so stop trying to compare the two. TopWare makes the calls, and RP does everything in their power to make the best game they can with the resources they have, so also, give these RP guys a damn break. Granted, they'reThings to consider - This game was in production before AC: Black Flag was even a concept, and Ubi has a TON more resources opposed to the very small studio of Reality Pump, so stop trying to compare the two. TopWare makes the calls, and RP does everything in their power to make the best game they can with the resources they have, so also, give these RP guys a damn break. Granted, they're still charging AAA prices and that ultimately is hurting them, but again, that's the publisher's call, not the dev studio. With all that said the story is legit, and the graphics definitely have some redeeming factors. But let's all agree that this game is nothing like it could have been. Expand
  19. Feb 1, 2015
    Hmm i see all negative reviews, i dont think game i so bad, it have some bugs, but nice ship battles and trading. Ship looks good and i like fighting and upgrading ships. Fighting on land its nothing special, could be better. I hope developer update missing voices, its annoying. Graphic is no bad. Small amount side quest but quest are interresing and not like in mmorpg, there areHmm i see all negative reviews, i dont think game i so bad, it have some bugs, but nice ship battles and trading. Ship looks good and i like fighting and upgrading ships. Fighting on land its nothing special, could be better. I hope developer update missing voices, its annoying. Graphic is no bad. Small amount side quest but quest are interresing and not like in mmorpg, there are interesting. Story too is nice for me.
    If you focusing on ship battles and trading you will like it:)
  20. Feb 2, 2015
    The Story is really great. Of course there are some technical issues - but we had none of them. So we can´t talk about them. Gameplay is ok and the graphics of the carribbean is quite nice. We think after some patches it´ll be a great game.
  21. Mar 23, 2015
    I'm giving 10. Because I can.
    And because I have found a goat in the brothel.
    And, just a bit, to counter all the hatred of the Almighty Internet Hive Mind. And because the game has been accused of racism and misogyny (come on, the year is 1710!) Seriously though, it deserves at least 6 or 7 (ver 1.2), and probably more after patches. It's a pity that the game has been rushed badly,
    I'm giving 10. Because I can.
    And because I have found a goat in the brothel.
    And, just a bit, to counter all the hatred of the Almighty Internet Hive Mind.

It's a pity that the game has been rushed badly, but patches are coming.

I really like the sea fights (no autoaiming, you can miss because of the waves etc.)
    Melee fights - not great, but not bad either, at least since I learned how to block.
    Trading - I like the economy simulation, local markets react to player's actions.
    Story - so-so, but I don't care much about it (if I would, I'd play Gone Home instead...).

Regarding the most obvious problems:
    missing/bad voiceovers don't bother me much (I'm using subtitles anyway, my English is not good),
    and I had absolutely no crashes (I have heard that turning off the Steam overlay helps).
    Please mind this is my personal experience - as they say, your mileage may vary.

Btw, I loved and still miss old Sea Dogs series - for sure this affects my judgement.
    If you would prefer a Black Flag clone instead, it's probably not for you.

1. Apr 24, 2015
    It’s disgusting on almost every level, and the fact Topware is selling it for $54.99 is unforgivable.
  2. Apr 1, 2015
    I suspect that if I took the ridiculous money needed to buy Raven’s Cry and instead spent it on a crate of pins, chewed them all up, swallowed them, followed up with salt, washed everything down with lemon juice and then excreted, I would have as much fun as I had in the Caribbeans by Reality Pump. [04/2015, p.52]
  3. We take the role of Christopher Raven, who became a pirate captain after his family... ah, screw it. The game is terrible. I say that as a guy who honestly tried to become enamored of it for a week straight. [April 2015, p.62]