• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Apr 30, 1996
8.0

1. Sep 23, 2014
    One of my best games of all time. It is colourful and appealing to the eye while maintaining razor sharp controls and presenting quite a platforming challenge. I had this gem on Playstation (the definitive version IMO, a rare case that the console version wasc actually better than the PC version).

The music, the scenes, the pacing, it's all just right, however I'll admit that I am biased by nostalgia also.

But I have had some great time back i my childhood with great friends playing through this game. I still remember when me and my friend stayed up all night when we were 13 (we had been playing the game for 5 years prior to that) and we finally beat the game! That was amazing!

I would recommend this to anyone who comes form a generation before last gen. This game requires as much skill as it does patience, and it will never be appreciated by the COD generation and onwards.
  2. Jul 30, 2014
    The first Rayman game and not a bad game, but being the first is always rough because you have to set the bar. And set the bar it did. It was really challenging, even annoying in some levels, but when you went forward a little bit was an incentive to keep going more. Even though I love the series I must say that I did not enjoy this one as much as the others. It was all I had when I wasThe first Rayman game and not a bad game, but being the first is always rough because you have to set the bar. And set the bar it did. It was really challenging, even annoying in some levels, but when you went forward a little bit was an incentive to keep going more. Even though I love the series I must say that I did not enjoy this one as much as the others. It was all I had when I was young and I got frustrated really quickly. Revisiting it now I find it fair and not as difficult as before, but I don't see the charm so much in this, because for me it was all about Rayman 2. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    After playing Rayman 2, I decided I'd give the original rayman a go. It wasn't what i expected, but it didn't disappoint me at all. This game, follows the original 2D elements of my side-scrolling games. What made rayman unique, was it's beautiful graphics and music; the simple and yet captivating gameplay; and the adventure and challenges that await. You start the game in the Pink PlantAfter playing Rayman 2, I decided I'd give the original rayman a go. It wasn't what i expected, but it didn't disappoint me at all. This game, follows the original 2D elements of my side-scrolling games. What made rayman unique, was it's beautiful graphics and music; the simple and yet captivating gameplay; and the adventure and challenges that await. You start the game in the Pink Plant Woods, inside the Dream Forest. Here you learn of the Electoons, the Fairy Betilla, and acquire some new powers. As the game progress, you make you way from numerous world including: Band Land, Picture City and Band Land. All of which, contain unique puzzles, adventures and thrills for you to experience. Compared to 'The Great Escape', Rayman 1 has a unique feel to it. It uses the 2D to almost full percent, and delivers a exceptionally hard, but fun game. Expand
  4. Feb 7, 2014
    The following is a review for the PSN version of Rayman.

The following is a review for the PSN version of Rayman.

Having never grew up with Rayman, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. Rayman himself has an ingenious design, great character and excellent controls. I loved controlling Rayman through every well-crafted level. I'd be lying, however, if I said that it could at times feel cheap; some levels feel like they are designed to kill you. It also doesn't help that lives are hard to come by. It all can feel very harsh and I admit I used the extra continue cheat many times. But I never grew tired of the game and eventually overcame it, yelling "Yeah!" as I got through every level.

The presentation is simply breathtaking. Everything in this game feels alive with its wonderful animation. The music is beautiful and adds to the atmosphere.

It can be hard to love a game that is so unforgiving, but I loved every minute of it. Platforming genius.

There are no critic reviews yet.