Really Big Sky PC

5.0

1. Jun 7, 2013
    Really Big Sky is a side-scrolling space shooter/bullet hell game where you go through procedurally-generated levels, blasting enemies and upgrading your ship for the next time you play.

It seems like this game has a lot of strategic depth to it, but I'm having a hard time telling for sure because the game doesn't tell you anything. The tutorial is fine for getting the basic controls, but the game is terrible at describing anything else. I have little idea what most of the upgrades actually do, so I can't really make informed decisions. It's cool to blast stuff and all, but I feel like 90% of the game is going over my head, and the game itself is just fine with that.

The game, at least, is very pretty, and the music is nice to listen to. The narrator's somewhat entertaining. The controls really suck at first, and I had to do a lot of customization in the options before they were even passable.

Overall, this game seems like it has decent gameplay, but it's completely ruined by overall poor execution. I wouldn't recommend Really Big Sky to anyone but the most enthusiastic of bullet hell game fans.
  2. Jul 20, 2013
    It's alright. Really underwhelming. I didn't find it as addicting as Geometry Wars. The music is really cool, but like others have said, the game is vague. It's hard to know what things do, and the progression system of powering up your ship feels kind of pointless. I never really started to feel badass at any point, but I suppose that isn't the purpose? I don't know. It's a cool arcadeIt's alright. Really underwhelming. I didn't find it as addicting as Geometry Wars. The music is really cool, but like others have said, the game is vague. It's hard to know what things do, and the progression system of powering up your ship feels kind of pointless. I never really started to feel badass at any point, but I suppose that isn't the purpose? I don't know. It's a cool arcade game, but it failed to keep me coming back for more. It's too bad. I really loved Geometry Wars and played it for hours a few years ago. I was hoping RBS would be similar, but it failed to capture. Chalk it up to personal preference maybe, but it didn't do it for me. Expand
  3. AWG
    Jun 28, 2013
    Really Big Sky is a bad game. End of line.
    Tutorial is ridicolous ("use WASD to move and click to shoot"... and then it ends, yeah, very useful) and you're thrown in the middle of a very bad-designed environment with nothing to do but being mocked by the "Video settings" page which doesn't allow you to properly enter fullscreen for 1920x1080 (in 2013? Really?).
    What about the upgrade
    Really Big Sky is a bad game. End of line.
    What about the upgrade system for the ship? There's a list of... things, and you can allocate... numbers to them; but nothing is explained. What am I doing exactly?
    You'll find yourself asking that many times if you try to play this game.
  4. Mar 7, 2012
    I still haven't found an appeal for strobe light shooters. I'm essentially being blinded while trying to concentrate on shooting enemies. It's just painful on my eyes and causes headaches after about 10 minutes. Great form of torture, but not so great form of game.
  5. Aug 20, 2013
    This game is so COLORFUL! Color and particles flying around a tons of enemies and pure awesomeness! If you have an xbox 360 controller you can play this game with it!
  6. Feb 25, 2012
    This was a pleasant surprise! I would have scored it higher but im bound by reality to keep it honest and no indie game ever scores a 10 on graphics, another slight flaw is that it does get a little repetitive. That being said the gameplay itself is effing awesome! Plenty of modes to choose from once you unlock them, upgrading your ship feels like it actually has a point, and the game isThis was a pleasant surprise! I would have scored it higher but im bound by reality to keep it honest and no indie game ever scores a 10 on graphics, another slight flaw is that it does get a little repetitive. That being said the gameplay itself is effing awesome! Plenty of modes to choose from once you unlock them, upgrading your ship feels like it actually has a point, and the game is challenging! I cant stand the massive amounts of games for retards coming out lately, being an old school gamer i LIKE having to actually apply myself to beat games and this game REALLY makes you work for it. If you lack reflexes ::: middle finger to all the bioware tards out there::: you will most likely HATE this game, if you are hungry for a chaotic shooter with nice looking graphics and simple but tight controls THIS will scratch that itch. Not that it has any bearing on the game itself, but i got it cheaper on desura than any place else. Expand
  7. Jun 30, 2012
    What great surprise. The graphics and music are what you expect after seeing the trailer. The levels are wonderfully random. I can't stop playing it. I gave it a 9 because Co-op is local only. I like local Co-op (I think it should be included more in PC versions of games), but most of my friends are NOT local.
  8. Jun 17, 2012
    Highly satisfying - provided your reflexes are sharp! If you like HARD twin-sticks shooters and can handle a lot of visual distraction, Really big sky delivers the goods. While the game doesn't have a lot of different baddies and bosses, it mixes and matches them randomly so that every game is different and always challenging. The different modes offer yet more replay value - If you likeHighly satisfying - provided your reflexes are sharp! If you like HARD twin-sticks shooters and can handle a lot of visual distraction, Really big sky delivers the goods. While the game doesn't have a lot of different baddies and bosses, it mixes and matches them randomly so that every game is different and always challenging. The different modes offer yet more replay value - If you like to rely on your reflexes (and not on your memory) to score big, this game will fulfill you. Pros : - Awesome shooter that will offer quite a challenge even to the best gamer
    - Great soundtrack (put some headphones on and crank the bass!)
    - Randomly generated levels keep the game fresh
    - Funny narrator!
    - Visually stunning (provided you enjoy strobe lights and trippy/psychedelic visuals)
    - Simple controls, works very well with Xbox 360 controller (or PS3 controller + MotionInJoy software)

Cons : - Framerate sometimes dips quite low, even on relatively recent hardware (Core I7 + Radeon 5850)
    - Soundtrack change during "bullet-hell" events is quite unpleasant and disrupts an otherwise great musical experience
    - Only 4 bosses that are easily defeated once you get to know them
    - Game should not offer to upload scores when it knows your score isn't in the top 100
    - This game BEGS for an expansion pack with more baddies and bosses!

What are you waiting for, go buy it already!
  9. May 4, 2012
    I'll try to sum this up using six words: Imaginative, colourful, chaotic, hard, mesmeric & addictive, though this is a game that is impossible to adequately describe using words alone. Honestly, if you are a fan of the shoot-'em-up genre you really owe it to yourself to give this a try rather than sit here reading this.
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    It's a good game, if you are playing on an outdated system. Running this on eyefinity setup and the game seems to only provide me with the upper left corner of the game on only my middle screen. There appear random black bars on my second monitors. Also the reset option doesn't work. I can't enter a game name in any possible way. Why do I want that? Because the game glitched the out whenIt's a good game, if you are playing on an outdated system. Running this on eyefinity setup and the game seems to only provide me with the upper left corner of the game on only my middle screen. There appear random black bars on my second monitors. Also the reset option doesn't work. I can't enter a game name in any possible way. Why do I want that? Because the game glitched the out when started entering my name and immediately went to the next screen. Do yourself a favor and don't buy it unless you are willing to have problems in any possible way. Expand
  11. Dec 15, 2014
    Dont buy this! Even 1 is too much for this thing! A very bad and non-optimized "game" that treats you like a drooling idiot! The pointless "tutorial" for using the most common Keyboard-keys wasn't the worst thing. Annoying resolution-issues are the final nail in the coffin! No WIdescreen-resolution. No real Fullscreen (!) and the plain dumb menu-controls are way out of hand! Just anotherDont buy this! Even 1 is too much for this thing! A very bad and non-optimized "game" that treats you like a drooling idiot! The pointless "tutorial" for using the most common Keyboard-keys wasn't the worst thing. Annoying resolution-issues are the final nail in the coffin! No WIdescreen-resolution. No real Fullscreen (!) and the plain dumb menu-controls are way out of hand! Just another uninspired boring highschool-project from some "artists" who make better trailers than games! Expand
  12. Jun 24, 2015
    Really Big Sky is amazing, with its madness all over the screen, great music, great British comedy, great narration and very satisfying game, the only thing that put me off was the bad optimization for the full screen options, it seems like the game cannot play in 1080p and can only play in 720p, so if you do not want to go through madness trying to fix the game, don't mess with the fullReally Big Sky is amazing, with its madness all over the screen, great music, great British comedy, great narration and very satisfying game, the only thing that put me off was the bad optimization for the full screen options, it seems like the game cannot play in 1080p and can only play in 720p, so if you do not want to go through madness trying to fix the game, don't mess with the full screen options

But overall this game is great!
  13. Jun 22, 2016
    Really Big Sky is a modestly entertaining high score-centric side-scrolling shooter with nice music and very cool visual effects. It has some RPG elements in the form of upgrades for your ship, a variety of bosses and a truckload of game modes, most of which are initially locked. The English-accented announcer amused me, what with calling me a ♥♥♥ and such. It's a nice little game but IReally Big Sky is a modestly entertaining high score-centric side-scrolling shooter with nice music and very cool visual effects. It has some RPG elements in the form of upgrades for your ship, a variety of bosses and a truckload of game modes, most of which are initially locked. The English-accented announcer amused me, what with calling me a ♥♥♥ and such. It's a nice little game but I very quickly got bored of it. Worth trying if you like shmups a lot, but there many games that will give you more hours. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 25, 2012
    Thoroughly average indie shoot'em up scores with fantastic graphics, but its playability doesn't reach the quality of its visuals. [Apr 2012]
  2. PC Gamer UK
    Apr 16, 2012
    It's utterly compulsive. [May 2012, p.111]
  3. Mar 19, 2012
    Really Big Sky is a very colorful game and really easy to understand. It sadly offers just a handful of bosses and enemies. Still, this game is worth the purchase.