6.5

1. May 6, 2013
    really fun game, almost a horror like atmosphere, because you don't know where you are, how you got there or what you're fighting against until you listen to the tapes. the gun controls take some getting used to, but after awhile it becomes second nature. permadeath, and randomized guns make for an enjoyable, replayable game. for a game that was made in 7 days, this is a triumph
  2. Jun 22, 2013
    Great game given the time it was built in. Even with its limited enemy types it still had me jumping at every last noise. Lighting is fantastic and graphics are acceptable. Overall the game is fun and worth a try
  3. Jul 26, 2013
    I was surprised at what a great little game this was. Mastering the controls is the toughest hurdle, since there are so many separate actions involved. Once you get the mechanics down, though, it is a lot of fun.

My favorite part is starting the level: you have to manually check the condition of your weapon, to see if a round is chambered or not, whether the safety is on, and if your
    magazine is full. From then on, it's a tactician's dream full of encounter angles and ammo rationing.

It's quite tense when you're down to your last round or completely empty. Stealth becomes a viable method to avoid the machines' line of sight, as does losing the flying drones by navigating through doorways and stairwells. Downing a drone just before it divebombs you is very satisfying, as is sprinting past a trio of sentry turrets. Remember, you don't have to shoot everything to make progress.

One issue I had was with performance: upon generating the next section of the map, the framerate took a noticeable dip and remained there. It seems like the game could have been optimized better, but I'm no expert on the subject. Aside from that, I found that the minimalistic graphics detract little from the experience. Piecing together the story for the first time was interesting (albeit across multiple respawns; replaying each casette can be a little annoying after a few dozen attempts).

I bought this game discounted at $2.99 during a Steam sale, and I've definitely gotten my money's worth.
  4. Sep 16, 2014
    The story is simple, the gameplay is not. Every part of the 3 guns available can be manipulated realistically.
    The complex controls make for a brilliant game. There are some problems, like getting dropped frames on older computers. Overall the game is a complex experience. If you like realism and difficult games, than this is for you.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Jun 25, 2013
    Receiver has a neat idea at its core, but that didn't translate into an interesting game.
  2. Apr 7, 2013
    Receiver is one of those games that feels so incredibly satisfying once it is finally understood and everything clicks. Then you remember that a group of talented people made it in a week and you question what exactly you're doing with your life.