Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale PC

8.6

1. Apr 5, 2011
    Recettear is not just for entertainment purposes, the game also has educational value. The game teaches you on how becoming an entrepreneur is both a rewarding and frustrating experience. Fighting through randomly created dungeons for items to stock your inventory or purchasing them wholesale from the market, there is no end to the fun. The takeaway from the game is to never make dealsRecettear is not just for entertainment purposes, the game also has educational value. The game teaches you on how becoming an entrepreneur is both a rewarding and frustrating experience. Fighting through randomly created dungeons for items to stock your inventory or purchasing them wholesale from the market, there is no end to the fun. The takeaway from the game is to never make deals with loan sharks. The exponential increase in paying off the loan eventually doomed me to repeating from the beginning. Although the items stay with you on the next loop, having to run through the same events to unlock dungeons and characters is tedious. Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2011
    The gameplay itself is very unique. Definitely something you don't see in the markets today. What gives this score lower is the variety of the game. Simplicity is always good, but there is such a thing as repetition.
  3. Apr 23, 2012
    7.5 would be my rating if I could give it. In Recettear you sell items you find in dungeons or that you bought from the store at a higher price to make enough profit to reach your goal every week. The game starts easy, but quickly ramps up the difficulty as you go. Unless you look up a guide or something, you can expect to fail your first playthrough. Fortunately when you fail you keep7.5 would be my rating if I could give it. In Recettear you sell items you find in dungeons or that you bought from the store at a higher price to make enough profit to reach your goal every week. The game starts easy, but quickly ramps up the difficulty as you go. Unless you look up a guide or something, you can expect to fail your first playthrough. Fortunately when you fail you keep anything that isn't story - related so the next playthrough will be much easier. The game is repetitive but also addicting. If you like Japanese style games or anime, etc you will feel much more at home playing this. If your a completionist when you play games, expect to play this for a very long time. If you quit once the story is done, I would suggest a different kind of game. Expand
  4. Aug 5, 2013
    Pros:
    - Easy to pick up
    - Can be played in sessions ranging from a few minutes to a few hours - Great progression system you're unlikely to replace the cool item you just got for a while (common in a lot of games) - Trading & adventuring & story is well tied together - Randomly generated dungeons provide replayability - Item limitation and death penalty during dungeon raiding adds
    Pros:
    - Easy to pick up
    - Can be played in sessions ranging from a few minutes to a few hours
    - Trading & adventuring & story is well tied together
    - Randomly generated dungeons provide replayability
    - Item limitation and death penalty during dungeon raiding adds difficulty and dynamic

Cons:
    - Trading cannot be sufficiently automated (vending machines are not enough)
    - Gets grindy in lategame, especially with bad luck on some items
    - Hoarding money in lategame has no real benefit
  5. Dec 13, 2012
    A dungeon crawling RPG and "Average RPG Item Shop" clerk sim combined into one humorous game. No single part of the game is really amazing or innovative but put together you have a lot of things to juggle. It reminds me of Persona in how your day is broken up into time slots where you have to manage your store, shop at the market, do quests to recruit mercs, and dungeon crawl for more lootA dungeon crawling RPG and "Average RPG Item Shop" clerk sim combined into one humorous game. No single part of the game is really amazing or innovative but put together you have a lot of things to juggle. It reminds me of Persona in how your day is broken up into time slots where you have to manage your store, shop at the market, do quests to recruit mercs, and dungeon crawl for more loot to stock your store. The game's main objective is making weekly payments to clear your family's debt. They really ramp up in cost quickly which is where most of the difficulty comes from. However, the last payment is really high and most people don't manage it on their first playthrough. While there is a NG+ mode, the second time through was way too easy and got boring without the dungeon crawling. Despite some balancing issues, this is a great JRPG and worth picking up. Just try to remember to keep multiple save games. Oh yeah, and the boss fights are pretty cool. Expand
  6. Jun 10, 2014
    Jamás había visto un simulador tan claro del capitalismo, además es una vuelta de tuerca interesante al ámbito de los juegos de rol orientales. Horas de disfrute, aunque la historia es un poco plof.
  7. Feb 15, 2015
    Super addictive! It is a bit outdated and old fashioned, but you really cannot stop playing regardless. Art style is cute and chirpy and slightly humorous. Combat and the dungeons need to be worked on and I admit I only played through the game once to completion with no temptation to return to it at the moment. Some may find it only fun for a few hours as it does get very repetitive, but ISuper addictive! It is a bit outdated and old fashioned, but you really cannot stop playing regardless. Art style is cute and chirpy and slightly humorous. Combat and the dungeons need to be worked on and I admit I only played through the game once to completion with no temptation to return to it at the moment. Some may find it only fun for a few hours as it does get very repetitive, but I managed to be amused the whole time as I played it through to the end.
    Fantastic game to continuously rave about? No.
    Enough to earn a decent score and respect for what it is? Yes.
  8. Dec 21, 2010
    Quite a repetitive game after mastering all the basic. Could be made better by increasing the amount of time in a day. The Dungeon was not really great & could be made better. Overall game play was still OK for me. Many variety of items to sell and obtain. Although felt those random encounter where you character will talk to other people was a bit redundant. Good casual game.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Recettear is a bit repetitive but will keep you engaged for some time. Its main elements are dungeon crawling and store management. The story might be a bit boring but the characters are fun. Visuals and soundtrack are OK. Definitely worth to try it out.
  10. Jun 14, 2011
    It's presented well and is an interesting idea, but what keeps the game from becoming really good is variety. The dungeons are pretty boring for the most part, and store management is not complex enough to be compelling for more than say 4-5 hours. The graphics and visuals are lively and some (not all) of the character dialogue is amusing. This game is creative in its inception butIt's presented well and is an interesting idea, but what keeps the game from becoming really good is variety. The dungeons are pretty boring for the most part, and store management is not complex enough to be compelling for more than say 4-5 hours. The graphics and visuals are lively and some (not all) of the character dialogue is amusing. This game is creative in its inception but somewhat uninspired in its execution. I enjoyed playing it for a few hours but no more than that. However, I will be keeping my eyes out for a sequel. Expand
  11. Jul 22, 2015
    I never enjoyed this game.So many things are so repetetive and dull.Every day is the same.The dungeons and mobs there are boring and uninspired.The game is cute at first but lacks too many things.Its just a timewaster with no reward and it is not really easy because you "have to pay of your fathers depth".That payment you have to do, its redicilous what amounts you have to pay in weekI never enjoyed this game.So many things are so repetetive and dull.Every day is the same.The dungeons and mobs there are boring and uninspired.The game is cute at first but lacks too many things.Its just a timewaster with no reward and it is not really easy because you "have to pay of your fathers depth".That payment you have to do, its redicilous what amounts you have to pay in week 3.And the customers are stupid too.I had a child that was so pissed that i couldnt sell things for 100% base price.I dont buy things and sell them for less, stupid ****

Conclusion:I dont recommend this game.Its bugfree, nice, but its a simpel game, no chance to overlook bugs in such an simpel game i thing.
  12. Mar 27, 2013
    Simply wonderful! Recettear is one of the most fantastic and original RPGs I've played in the past few years. Classic graphics and game-play with a different spin of the main character being an new item shop owner trying to pay off a debt, instead of an adventurer. The game is split off into two sections, store management where you sell items at the right times for the price that will getSimply wonderful! Recettear is one of the most fantastic and original RPGs I've played in the past few years. Classic graphics and game-play with a different spin of the main character being an new item shop owner trying to pay off a debt, instead of an adventurer. The game is split off into two sections, store management where you sell items at the right times for the price that will get you the most profit. It wonderfully works in the concept of supply and demand as you get actual news on market updates sometimes more than once a day on what item prices are up and what ones are down. Along with the store management is going to the market or merchant's guild to buy items to sell in your store, or to help with dungeon crawling.
    The second part is the dungeon crawling. On the days you need a large boost to your store inventory or ingredients for crafting, you can hire an adventurer from the adventurer's guild to go to a dungeon with you. This is where you will control the adventurer as your main character follows behind. Using the adventurer you will fight off enemies, picking up items that some drop and opening chests to usually get items/treasures. The good part about dungeon crawling is that you get items that you can sell for 100% profit, minus the fee to hire the adventurer. Lastly on the dungeon stuff, the adventurer you hire will level up through the process of killing enemies, like any RPG, which is a good thing because they will be stronger and you can later move on to bigger and better dungeons, but it is also a slight hindrance as well, because the stronger and more experienced an adventurer becomes, the more it will cost to hire him or her. As the game progresses through the story, you will be able to hire different kinds of adventurers. I'm giving this game a 10 because it is a solid RPG, with a fun and whimsical story, that has familiar game-play while still feeling quite original. I've played many RPGs in my day and I can say I've never before played a game like Recettear. The people that rate it real low because of a lot of dialogue have clearly never played a classic RPG, or they have been spoiled by playing too many fully voiced RPGs.

One of the other reviews says says that the store management isn't complex enough to be compelling for more than 4-5 hours, the problem with saying that is that it shows that they didn't play very long, because I've played 16 hours and I'm still getting new facets and challenges to running the store. The game doesn't give you all the ways to run your store right off, it treats those like any abilities learned in an RPG. As you get more experienced at running your shop and level up as a merchant, you gain more things that you can do, like decorating your store and new ways to sell things to your customers.

Finally, I would add that just because it doesn't have the latest newfangled sparkling graphics and gimmicky interface, doesn't mean that it isn't an original title. The story and store management along side the classic game play is what makes the game original. The art and graphics(classic around PS2 era JRPG type) are solid, fitting the style of the game and the story.

It isn't hard for this game to shine with with all the samey RPG drivel that tends to be heralded as special and wonderful(usually only because of the graphics). I highly recommend this game to any gamer that is properly familiar with and loves RPGs.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 23, 2011
    Although technically very outdated and quite repetitive game but still very funny and pretty original. [Issue#201]
  2. Jan 27, 2011
    Recettear is perhaps one of the most unusual examples of a simulation game yet; with its engaging storyline, large ensemble of characters and action-RPG sequences, this is a game that really stands out from the crowd.
  3. Dec 26, 2010
    One of Steam's best kept secrets and a cracking indie title that both pokes fun at and celebrates the charming absurdity of role-playing games.