6.8

1. Jun 7, 2011
    The game play of Red Faction: Armageddon is over all great. The UI is simple and the guidance system is just very helpful. Graphics are great and the characters are well designed. Some parts of the game are really annoying like near the end of the game where enemy's constantly spawn and over whelm you. They surprised me after i beat it with new game +, which is great. Over all on amazing game.
  2. Jul 8, 2011
    This game is one of the best Third Person Shooters created in my opinion. With the great storyline to the graphics to the weapons and a lot more.

I am giving this lovely gave an Overall 9/10 for its variety of weapons, nice graphics, interesting monsters and fast paced action.

Even though the monsters and environments area mostly the same It was still A great experience and fun to play.

If you hate short campaigns, do not buy it. For A Professional like me it took me 3.5 hours to finish it on the hardest mode available.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    People who gave this game a negative review seem to be upset because it is not like the other Red Faction games. Which, I will admit, it's not. It's not an open world, but to me it's more like Dead Space style meets Mass Effect game play, and I love both of those games. In Guerilla, I would find myself randomly running around this open space fighting the same guys and mining the same stuff over and over. Although many people like that, I personally appreciate the flow of the story line in this game. I think it's a great story. The upgrade system, controls, ui, art style, and graphics are all amazing. Probably my favorite Red Faction game. I liked Guerilla a lot, don't get me wrong, but the PC port was just awful...so yeah. This game is good, if it's on sale buy it. Expand
  4. Jun 7, 2011
    Gone is the sandbox of RFG as Armageddon returns to it's roots with a more linear approach. The weapons, gameplay and Geo-mod 2.0 engine really shine in this 4th installment. I haven't finished the the SP campaign, but have been told that it clocks in around 6 hrs., having played online co-op in Infestation is a blast! Armageddon is highly recommended and is probably my front-runner for sleeper pick of 2011. Expand
  5. Jan 29, 2013
    Ill start with the good, then the bad. I had played red faction guerrilla before this and knew I liked the type of game. Pros: Graphics, Destruction, varied weapons, decent story, coop multiplayer, nano tech abilities!. First off the weapons are pretty awesome, varied in just about every way imaginable and in fact the only thing I can think of to make them better would be customizations like scopes etc but minor detail. (not there are some upbraids you can get that pertain to weapons such as larger clip, less recoil etc). The graphics are awesome even though it is a pretty demanding game on your computer. My computer can run all games out to date but I had to edit the graphics on this game since there is often so much going on in a field and the whole destructible environments run heavy I think. Thats another awesome part is all buildings are destructible and thanks to your nano tech re-build able too. Used a rocket to destroy a bridge with a big enemy on it sending him to the lava? No problem you can rebuild it! The story is nothing ground breaking but there are certainly many worse ones out there so no complaints there but also not kudos. The nano tech you carry with you is pretty cool, my favorite was the shield it allows you to generate ( and can upgraid things like its duration and eventually you can make it repel projectiles back at the attacker in addition to attackers coming inside the shell being eaten away by nanites)
    Cons: Short (my play through on normal was 9 hours), no competitive multiplayer, some fights are slightly tedious but not bad. The biggest complaint I see from negative reviewers is the lack of competitive multiplayer. I never played a siege mode on red faction I just played it for the story so this diddnt bother me at all but quite a few people seem to be ranting and raving over it. The way I see it is if you go into it for the single player experience than you wont be disappointed! Now it DOES have a coop multiplayer ( very similar to mass effect 3's or dawn of war's the last stand where a squad of players tries to survive an onslaught of enemy waves which seems very popular these days). The last thing to mention is that the campaign is short, but it is fun while you play it and it does have a New game plus mode that has some special (one silly) unlock and "cheats" available to spice up the gameplay a second time around. Overall 9/10 definitely worth playing through, especially if you get it on steam for a bargain!
  6. Jun 12, 2011
    I'm totally amazed with this game. I mean, this is seriously one of the best games i have played in 2011. I loved the new direction they took with this game, it's more linear but the storyline is much more detailed and interesting. Something i really liked about this game is the weapon arsenal, it's simply fantastic. Especially the magnet gun and the black hole gun. The level of destruction is huge and spectacular.
    You also have a free mode with no time limit where you can destroy stuff and rebuild it again.
    Infestation mode, team up with 1, 2 or 3 friends in a battle against bugs and other creepy crawlies where you have to protect structures from damage, or survival mode.

This game is so well made that it allows you to change a lot of graphical settings. Port or not, it runs so perfect and smooth without a single problem.
    I'm running it fully maxed out + DX10/11 and god, it looks beautiful!!
    Another contender for game of the Year 2011..
    Thanks for such amazing game.
  7. Oct 16, 2011
    Just finished campaign, loved it! Very thrilling ride, great story, great weapons and gameplay. I wish it was a bit longer, and it's too bad it's the last Red Faction game, but at least they went out with a bang.
  8. Oct 30, 2011
    A wonderful game. It took me about 12 hrs to beat the fun, action-packed singleplayer campaign. It may get a bit repetitive at some points, but every time the repetitiveness is mixed with a lot of fun, new, interesting twists and turns. You get to pilot a few vehicles, what is really exciting. You get to shoot a variety of awesome weapons, making every bit of gameplay extremely fun! The physics in this game are a blast, and all of the weapons will fit every gamers play style. The new introduced melee / nano forge mechanics are a great addition as well. The player upgrades are well balanced, making the playthrough even more fun. The only nuisance was with the ending. Don't take it wrong, the story is great, but the end result was a bit not what I was expecting. Oh well.. another Red Faction game upcoming? hehe
    After you finish the SP campaign, there is a 1 to 4 player survival mode, with enemies getting stronger every round. Not a new thing, but a welcome addition of course :)
    I don't know whether this game is worth a playthrough. I just uninstalled it, and it feels quite sad, I think I'm going to play this game on New Game Plus sometime :)
    Buy this game on the PC, it's great!
  9. Dec 1, 2011
    What a great campaign--a solid 10+ hours! It's a cross between Aliens and Rambo. Darius Miles is one bad ass hombre kicking ass and taking names. I thought the move away from the sandbox play style of Guerrilla might make Armageddon less appealing, but Volition did a superb job keeping the destruction physics center stage. The story takes a detour from its traditional rebellious themed roots and focuses on bug extermination--they actually make it work pretty well. All of the great weapons from Guerrilla carry over plus they added a new repair feature and some special nano powers which are very cool. Include some cool vehicles with bad ass weapons, decent cut scenes, and it's a wrap. I thought the campaign was marketed as coop, but it is not. Instead coop is possible in an extremely entertaining survival mode called Infestation with up to 4 players. Expand
  10. Jun 11, 2011
    This game takes after the first 2 titles in the series a little more since it has a linear mission structure with only a little exploration during the missions and nothing in between missions (no walking around towns and stuff). It keeps the 3rd person action combat of the 3rd game in the series (Guerrilla) along with the building destruction (I mention that since the 1st game had destruction of terrain and was also underground for the most part). However many aspects of the game have been tweaked interface and control-wise.

Many people who liked the free form aspects of the 3rd game (Guerrilla) will miss them in this game and will probably put themselves off it because it is no longer free form. However that doesn't make it a bad game (unless you only enjoy free form games), while it is a different game it is still a good action game and most will get enjoyment from this tile regardless.

The story is a little cliché but well told and for fans of the series will enjoy going though the story which is told not only through in game cut scenes and dialog but also through optional scattered messages throughout the game.

In summary: Its a good action game with a nice story, series fans will likely enjoy it but fans of free form games like Guerrilla may prefer something else. Sadly A demo for the game doesn't look like it will be released for PC (A sad trend in PC games these days) so people will have to just read differing reviews and check out footage on Youtube if they cant decided to buy.
  11. Jun 11, 2011
    Great game. Take it for what it is and do not compare to the first two or Guerrilla. This is still a fantastic game that deserves to be played. Regarding those posts on graphics, who cares? Some may say it is good or bad, but it is all relative. Same with Crysis 2. Don't rate a game based on looks alone. Armageddon is a great shooter with guns that are fun to wield and use to blow s**t up!
  12. op8
    Jun 14, 2011
    Over half way thru it, and so far i am really enjoying this.
    i honestly havent had this much fun in a game for years!.....i have to constantly remind myself there are other weapons available because the magnet rifle is just so much damn fun to use.
    dont listen to anyone giving this game less than an 8 as they are being daft and just pissed that its not the same sand box like in
    RF:G.......yeah its a linear shooter now,but its a damn fine shooter and better than any other shooters ive played for a LONG time......9.2/10 but i'm gonna rate a ten coz of the idiot who gave it a 2........ppl need to rate this game in its own right and not compare it to previous RF. Expand
  13. Jun 14, 2011
    Gone is sandbox! Most people are WTF at the idea, and I was too. At first. Then I thought about it. The bugs... trying to fight them in sandbox gameplay would be... frustrating. They would be constantly getting in your way and bogging you down, or you would be outrunning them in some car... or you would be trapped in annoying to navigate cave systems. It overall would be a frustrating... annoying, or boring experience. Either the bugs would seem futile to anyone with a car, or they would be so monsteriously powerful to make the game stupid frustrating. So points for the balls to go Linear. It made it more interesting and fun overall. A tad curious why they didn't milk the horror cow more and just decided to go BALLS TO TH WALLS action; other than the fact it is Volition and they are nuts for action. Overall, they brought over good things from Guerilla, added stuff that's good for a linear gameplay, removed forcing a slot to a sledgehammer (Loved the weapon, but good lord sometimes you wanted an extra gun.), and a great co-op mode. If you own this game and aren't playing the infestation mode, you are losing money .It's an excellent and honestly? Amazing addition to the game overall that works really quite well with the new enemy types. The game itself? It's quite fun but it requires a want to play a fast placed arcadey game with deployable special abilities. Story is the only downpoint really, but on par for volition game. I don't play their games for story. I PLAY THEM FOR EXPLOSIONS! Expand
  14. Jun 17, 2011
    Overall this game is fantastic and would easily make it into my top 5 for this year. Im getting sick and tired of everyone expecting another sandbox and think that the linear game play was a turn in the right direction as a repeat of Guerilla would have been well dull. Although some levels were longer and sometimes a rependitive over all I had alot of fun with it. There is some great potential for some dlc and I would love to see some more exciting environments. This game was great and feels like it brings something different to the table of the ever growing fps genre. Expand
  15. Jul 23, 2011
    This game is incredible. I think the bad reviews are from people disappointed that the game was different than other Red Faction iterations. Having not played them, I can't compare it to the previous versions, but as a gamer, I can tell you this game is excellent as a standalone. The destruction engine is unbelievable-- better than any I've seen elsewhere. It even makes BF:BC2's engine look last-gen. Not only would I buy a sandbox game that just had this destruction engine, but the campaign in this game is excellent too-- it's long, varied, and crazy fun. The weapons are imaginative and effective (once you use the magnet gun, you'll wish every game had one) and the vehicle combat sessions are a blast. I can't recommend this game enough. If you like action, seriously consider getting this game. Expand
  16. Aug 12, 2011
    the sad thing about this game is it was giving "average"-+ review scores from critics simply because it switched from a sandbox game to a linear third person shooter. I personally have never played any previous red faction games so was confused by the 7/10 review it was getting, having greatly enjoyed the game myself. what people have to realize about Red Faction: Armageddon is that it is a different game than it's predecessors, only based in the same universe. Knowing that going into this game you should enjoy yourself. Expand
  17. Sep 10, 2011
    I was a bit turned off by it's luke warm reception and its deviation from the original open world premise and held off getting this. I Have now just finished it and it was an absolutely excellent game. I wasn't really in it for the story (luckily) but everything else was just action packed and awesome. And then when I thought it couldn't get any better, I finished the game and got 'Mr Toots'... It's a sad day when a quality, fun game such as this isn't the massive success it should be. Expand
  18. Jan 1, 2013
    There are not many games with that much KPM (kaboom per minute ;) ). It's really fun to play this game. Things blow up left and right. Masses of nasty alien bugs await to be terminated. The graphics in the game are simply superb (I'm playing on maxed out settings). This game is also the best evidence you don't need Nvidia PhysX for a good (physically correct) destructive environment.
  19. Sep 12, 2011
    I bought this not expecting a whole lot, but since i played the very first red faction way back when i figured i'd try this one on for size. And am i glad i did. After about 10 minutes of struggling trough the mandatory tutorial i really got caught up in the storyline and it held my attention to the very last second. the graphics are beautifull and the combat is brutal. was definatly worth every penny. Expand
  20. Jul 24, 2012
    A fine game, i enjoyed it quite a bit, its quite different from the other 3 but still really fun. The story isnt complicated which is nice for a change, not all games need some kinda conspiracy involved to make it interesting, the guns are cool especially the magnet gun, ive never seen that kind of thing implemented in any game ever (if there is, ive never played it), really neat idea, basically you can shoot 1 "anchor" on to anything and the next shot pulls anything the first shot hit across to it, so u can shoot it at an enemy across the room, then tag another far away and slam them into eachother killing them both usually, really cool. Or u can use the anchor to drag debris or building pieces to kill enemys, or use it just to trash things for salvage (best part is theres no ammo involved in it). Another aspect is the nano thing u can use to rebuilding anything thats destroyed which you have to use alot of the time since sometimes you destroy the only ramp to go to where u need to go. The voice acting is well done, gameplay is good, upgrades are based on salvage to buy with, and give a wide variety to choose from. The only bad thing i can find about this game is that its to short and easy (on normal atleast) but its not way to short like some games, its definately not a 40 hour rpg or anything but should get about 10 hours of gameplay in atleast. Other than that great game in the series. Expand
  21. Nov 9, 2011
    Best in the series..love the magnet gun..graphics are very good..game play will keep you on your toes! great destruction models.
    to bad..last in the series..get yours today..
  22. May 28, 2012
    I find myself wanting to love this game, the gunplay is fun and the ability to destroy doesn't feel over the top like it did in the last red faction, mainly because of the enclosed cave environments. Unfortunately these same environments feel incredibly small and restrictive - you may say, 'of course, they're caves!' But this isnt the case. A decent map maker could have created intricate cave systems that allow the player the ability to explore the game and also engage in mission gunplay that feels tight and intensive. There is no ability to explore, instead, you the player are moved from one mission to the next with almost no chance to investigate the very limited environment you have just waded through ... imagine a large corridor that twists and turns to give the impression of freedom when there actually isn't any. For example, try to leave the mission area and return back up said corridor and you will be informed of the amount of time (seconds) you have to return to the mission area before penalty occurs.

Really, Red Faction: Armageddon feels like it was written by the smart guy we all know who has brilliant ideas but can't apply themselves to fully realise any of them. Instead they take one good concept and layer it with averageness. The campaign itself is short although if you work it will probably take you a week of short, nightly gameplay to finish.

I sadly recommend that you the player rent or buy this "could have been great" game only from bargain bins and not at full or even half the rrp price.
  23. Aug 11, 2013
    The first thing you will notice is that this game has many things in common with Deadspace. Except the terror element. Red Faction puts more and more enemies instead.
    The game has a good UI, good weapons management system, good skills system, highly satisfiying weapons, new game plus, multiplayer mode, quite a few different enemies, but the most important thing is: Destructible scenarios.
    I've had lots of fun destroying everything and dropping bridges on the heads of the enemies. The magnetic gun may not be the best weapon (the firing ratio leaves it a bit behind of more powerful weapons), but tearing towers apart is certainly a refreshing experience.

The story is standard, but the characters are better than in many other games. Overall, a game very well worth the money.
  24. Apr 13, 2014
    Really fun and complete game.
    I have to say I didn't play the previous Red Faction games, so I don't know how they are, but this game its very nice for me.
    I really recommend it!
  25. Jun 11, 2011
    If you are into having a very fun mindless action game, look no further. I knew what I was buying before I bought it. Read the PC Gamer review (84) it puts it better than I ever could. Bottom line is that this is definitely different from RF: G - but that's not entirely a bad thing. Yes, the previous game was a massive sandbox but to me, had a very incoherent story and was basically a game with a ton of challenges and quests that all revolved around blowing stuff up. But in the previous game you faced basically one enemy... the EDF. It was all the same. Yes, this game is more linear but it's also focused, you face tons of different every interesting enemies - you have truly the coolest gun ever created in any game. Besides MAYBE the gravity gun. Again, maybe. I know that is a big statement but the magnet gun for me, justifies this purchase all by itself. Seriously :) That all said, this isn't a game that if you are struggling with $50 and deciding how to spend it, definitely buy The Witcher 2. If you have some excess cash and love crazy action games - get this, you won't be dissapointed. Check out the Steam forums... lots of great feedback around this game. It has excellent re play value (new game+ mode) and as mentioned, is a mindless great time. If you're into that sort of thing.

Lastly - if you have a good computer and can max this game out in it's DX11 glory... wow. It's impressive, changes the immersion factor greatly. That counts for me. I am self proclaimed graphics snob and have build a super computer that I like to push... I am thankful for devs that do that.

1. Nov 1, 2011
    Red Faction: Armageddon to me is a good B movie.
    It was worth sacrificing free-form play for a linear story driven shooter. Armageddon is different than other pieces of the Red Faction series but it still brings all the fun of "mass" destruction. [July 2011]
  3. Jul 26, 2011
    Armageddon's visuals are borderline awful, but the primitive gameplay is what looks the worst.