7.5

1. Jun 2, 2011
    Interesting physics, decent story, but the controls ruined the game for me. It played like a poor console port, the controls just felt terrible. For an FPS, the controls felt spongy and imprecise, and badly needed some polish. This was the only Red Faction game I've bought, and I don't intend to buy another. Simple aweful.
  2. Jul 26, 2011
    Good game which is ruined by how much of a poor port it is. You open this game and It screams 'console' at you. Even running in mid-low graphics the game still tends to give a poor performance. When I first downloaded the game from Steam I could not change the audio volume in game as it would stay the same to whatever I changed it to which meant that I could not listen to music or talk toGood game which is ruined by how much of a poor port it is. You open this game and It screams 'console' at you. Even running in mid-low graphics the game still tends to give a poor performance. When I first downloaded the game from Steam I could not change the audio volume in game as it would stay the same to whatever I changed it to which meant that I could not listen to music or talk to friends while playing. The second thing is that the other day I launched the game and it started in a window. I took it out of the window and all the resolutions had disappeared.
    Poor Console Port!
  3. Jan 4, 2011
    RF:G doesn't have that many variety in missions. Any mission you do is some form or variation of destroying EDF property. At first, I thought I was playing the game wrong, it seemed like no matter what I did in the missions I would have a swarm of EDF troopers shooting at me from all sides, I would constantly die, and when I escaped it would barley be with enough health orRF:G doesn't have that many variety in missions. Any mission you do is some form or variation of destroying EDF property. At first, I thought I was playing the game wrong, it seemed like no matter what I did in the missions I would have a swarm of EDF troopers shooting at me from all sides, I would constantly die, and when I escaped it would barley be with enough health or unsatisfied mission complete and death that followed. I tried approaching the mission several different ways, I tried being stealthy, even though the game suggest that you can, no matter what direction you come in from even through the back or concealed in a vehicle you just can not be stealthy, then you have to complete you missions while your being shot at because your somehow expected to be a one man army with no one at your side to assist in the mission, but when you do get assistance it usually one or two people that quickly get shot to death. You can try to take one of the EDF armored vehicles only to find out that the same bullets they are shooting you with is piercing through the armored vehicle and destroying the vehicle quickly. The troops don't stop coming either, Even for a video game it just seems unrealistic to be shot at over and over again while you trying to get your missions done.

Your suppose to be in a resistance against the EDF in this game and you will just get frustrated that nobody comes out to help you, after a while I just decided I wasn't playing this game cause I got tired of doing all the work while the underground resistance did nothing! As for destructible environments, not true, the only thing you can break is the structures, however unlike the first game the ground and hills your on can't be destroyed or altered, another annoyance in the mission is that the buildings don't crumble so easily and the missions aren't completed until they are completely decimated. This means that even though half a building is standing up, it won't collapse on its own you have to place more explosives. In closing I just want to say, having played this game several months after its release, I am really disappointed that every credible video game magazine and website gave this game a good review, I feel like they didn't play this game long enough or at all to see the issues. It makes me wonder what they are really reviewing.
  4. Aug 28, 2012
    Quite a dull game in my opinion. Blowing up stuff is kida fun, but the slaughtering of countless generic enemies is a real chore after a while, and they will just pop up out of thin air as soon as you set off some explosives. Besides, it's really hard to suspend disbelief: the enemy throws at you as if on a suicide mission, with police cars flying all around the place and crashing intoQuite a dull game in my opinion. Blowing up stuff is kida fun, but the slaughtering of countless generic enemies is a real chore after a while, and they will just pop up out of thin air as soon as you set off some explosives. Besides, it's really hard to suspend disbelief: the enemy throws at you as if on a suicide mission, with police cars flying all around the place and crashing into each other. The physics aren't that good either, you can blow up three quarters of a large tower's base and find it balancing on the last remaining bit, but thankfully this doesn't happen with every kind of building. The combat is why I couldn't bring myself to finish this game tough. It seems this is a game about blowing things up, that does everything to make you spend less and less time blowing things up. It also needed a stealth component in my opinion. Expand
  5. Feb 16, 2013
    A half-hearted console port. As far as gameplay goes, its fine if you want a mid-tier third person shooter. The physics are cool if you just like breaking through walls with a sledge hammer. Otherwise, its model of structural damage and collapse isn't as good as some free 2d flash games. The storyline isn't anything meaningful or interesting. Level design is bad. There are no features of aA half-hearted console port. As far as gameplay goes, its fine if you want a mid-tier third person shooter. The physics are cool if you just like breaking through walls with a sledge hammer. Otherwise, its model of structural damage and collapse isn't as good as some free 2d flash games. The storyline isn't anything meaningful or interesting. Level design is bad. There are no features of a console game to speak of, modders are almost non-existent, and the Games for Windows interface further blocks what you can do with the game.

Each level is a reskin of the last, except with an arbitrary color scheme. The first level you start in is red, then orange, then green, then blue. Why? Its very ugly and plain. There's nothing cool to blow up except one huge bridge (which is one of the only really cool and interesting thing about the game) and two sky scrapers which have indestructible hard-points which make it only possible to destroy them one way. Why would they do this in a game who's only appeal is that you can destroy stuff?

The multiplayer is pretty good. The different backpacks make gameplay interesting. For example, you can be a 'rhyno' backpack wielder with a sledge hammer, and wreck through walls to surprise targets. However, the multiplayer is buggier than on console and I don't think there are as many players.

There is little moddability. With such potential with the destruction engine, why not a system where you can add and design buildings? This is an insult to PC gamers, just handing them a console port with no attention to the things PC gamers expect. You can't even use cheat codes to, for example, get rid of the bad guys so you can sandbox destroy stuff in the world. Even if you have a minimal destruction save file there's still not much to blow up in the world.

The progression system feels so limiting. Just Cause 2 got guerrilla warfare right. In this game, there's no place to hide or anything. You just kill people and blow stuff up to unlock new areas. So lame. I don't want to have to sit through your bad storyline just to play the game the way I want to.

I only payed $5 for this game I feel like I wasted my money. I was really disappointed that this is the only non-indy title that tries to emulate destruction physics and it totally fails. I liked it better on Xbox anyway.
  6. Mar 23, 2013
    I tried liking this game so much, after seeing all those youtube videos of demolition and hammer kills. Now that I have tried for a few hours, I come away in disgust. This game has no cover system, an endless supply of suicidal enemies, and even more suicidal allies and civilians that will throw themselves in the line of fire at any possible time. Controls feel laggy and gunplay did notI tried liking this game so much, after seeing all those youtube videos of demolition and hammer kills. Now that I have tried for a few hours, I come away in disgust. This game has no cover system, an endless supply of suicidal enemies, and even more suicidal allies and civilians that will throw themselves in the line of fire at any possible time. Controls feel laggy and gunplay did not feel nice at all. On top of that there is a huge lack of guidance, you're just thrown in the middle of it and before you know it, you're surrounded by hordes of enemies on all sides, all the time. I cannot recommend it to anyone. Much nices games out there for the same price! Expand
  7. Jun 24, 2013
    The general idea and story behind this game is good, but the incredibly poor port of the PC version makes it unplayable. No, seriously, I can't even start the game anymore, it crashes at start-up.
  8. Nov 9, 2013
    A game that feels as though it could of been so much on PC but a very lack lustre port and poor performance on PC just means this game never quites hits the mark the way it should and becomes a chore to play.
  9. Dec 6, 2014
    Just about worth the steam sale price. The demolition is the only good thing here, and the music is ok, but the rest is your usual bland console port fare and way too arcade. The world is not persistent enough - enemies pop in from nowhere, or you demolish something huge only to find it replaced next mission etc. The graphics are not as good as the screenshots suggest. World design isJust about worth the steam sale price. The demolition is the only good thing here, and the music is ok, but the rest is your usual bland console port fare and way too arcade. The world is not persistent enough - enemies pop in from nowhere, or you demolish something huge only to find it replaced next mission etc. The graphics are not as good as the screenshots suggest. World design is bland like mars in real life, and has a lego city feel (lots of copy paste buildings etc). The story starts ok but is not so interesting afterwards. While other ports like Assassins Creed have similar flaws, they just about make up for it while this one just about does not.
    If you are easy to please and like arcade action, this game is ok, otherwise leave it alone.

Respect to the developers though for still updating their game 5 years after release. Finally good riddance to Games-For-Windows-Live.
  10. Sep 2, 2014
    I like the idea of this game but some of the design choices leave a bad aftertaste. I remember playing the original Red Faction and compared to that this game sucks. The atmosphere isn't there, the AI is buggy, the way-points are static not dynamic, mini map is horrible and shows some unrelated info. The only really good weapon is marauder shotgun, others lack of damage and do nothing inI like the idea of this game but some of the design choices leave a bad aftertaste. I remember playing the original Red Faction and compared to that this game sucks. The atmosphere isn't there, the AI is buggy, the way-points are static not dynamic, mini map is horrible and shows some unrelated info. The only really good weapon is marauder shotgun, others lack of damage and do nothing in fight, enemies eat lead like it was popcorn and cars do not take nearly enough damage from tanks and explosions. Some buildings are too weak like they would have been made from paper and glue. In the other extreme cases some buildings stay up even without any walls. Sometimes you can die by walking to invisible wall and that invisible wall falls on to you or sends you flying through the air with while you do a barrel roll. I once shot an enemy and watched him do four back flip in the air. Really, is this physics or magic? I was using a normal assault rifle. You can fail missions without any reason, for example the game informs "do not leave the mission area" fine I get that, except I am still standing in the middle of mission area. All the missions are basically the same so this game is extremely boring and repetitive. I hate to give it such a low score because I would like to play a good Red Faction game for a change but this is not it. Be aware this game feels and handles like a poor port on PC and I feel very bad and betrayed even when I paid only 0.90€ for it. It's no wonder that the original publisher went bankrupt. What a horrible piece of garbage this is, even the cut scenes do not feel like they belong to this game. There was some serious potential in this and somebody somewhere didn't care enough to make things work. Trust me when I tell you that there are some better and more complete indie games out there worth more of your money than this. Expand

1. Red Faction: Guerrilla is a sandbox game in its purest form. Watching giant structures collapse is an absolute thrill, and although the characters and their backgrounds aren't very compelling, the awesome weapons and great amount of side missions will take players on a path of destruction for hours to come.
    Despite its lackluster storytelling, Red Faction: Guerrilla is a whole lot of fun to play, thanks to its meaty campaign and well-rounded multiplayer offerings.
  3. The best in-game destruction ever can't make up for a few major shortcomings, but when a game is built to blow up buildings, it's hard to find much fault when it does that so well. You'll definitely overlook the shortcomings and focus on what this game does well instead.