7.4

1. Oct 25, 2010
    Played this game twice through story mode, and once with the pc add-on marauders campaign, and it is an excellent piece of work! This is more like "GTA with WAY MORE cool stuff to do". Though it can get a little difficult to continually push back their attacks, should you set off too many alarms. Really nice FOV blurring, totally immerses you in your firefights from small to large scale. If you go exploring at night, expect to be ambushed by marauders! But they have their own unique weapons, so it's worth it. They also control a large piece of desert to the southeast on the map, which is worth exploring in detail once the story provides time. Bottom line, this game is easy on your gpu, is very well polished and optimized AND comes with an extra marauder campaign for when you finish the primary! Steam has had it on sale 3 times, I paid 10 bucks for it and was well worth the 40+ hours spent on it. Now it's on sale for 5, I hope many more people realize this game's greatness. Expand
  2. Jun 10, 2011
    If you like blowing **** up, this is definitely the game for you; an absolute hidden gem. The destruction physics are pretty amazing and they never get old. Grand Theft Auto sandbox play style--a good single player story with plenty of side missions. The multiplayer experience was kind of weak, but certainly playable. Pick it up when it's on sale for $5 for some good entertainment value.
  3. Feb 14, 2011
    One of the finest games of the 200#'s, Red Faction: Guerilla is the first mainstream game since Shadow of the Colossus to truly offer new technology and gameplay design.

Additionally, the desolate atmosphere of Mars and the sense of paranoia - either of the EDF or of worse things in the desert is second to very few games, while the depth and variety of AI behaviours both in combat and in
    general are superior to any other open world game I've played.

If you play at a high difficulty and let your imagination take you, Red Faction: Guerilla will straddle the lines between Action, Stealth, and RPG. Offering freedom, emotional engagement with the AI as they fight and die across Tharsis, and varied tactical opportunities as you are granted absolutely free reign and a wide variety of equipment to take out hundreds of optional targets by any means available.

Expect difficulty, expect the AI to be both deadly and foolish in turns - expect them to act like fallible humans, and be prepared for the brutal collateral damage that will occur when civilian rebels play with explosives and large vehicles.

The downsides of the game include a poorly ported Multiplayer experience, now utterly inactive - and at times bizarre spawn-rates of EDF vehicles that can mob you to death with a single-minded determination to ram you until your vehicle explodes. Additionally, while the setting is fantastic, the storyline as depicted in cutscenes and missions is very much a homage to the eighties, bearing more in common with the cliche and distinct Good and Evil moralism of Total Recall, or Robocop. It's cheesy as hell, and quite simplistic. The background depth of the world shown in the subtle behaviours of colonist AI and the hand-crafted designs of towns and ruined structures, however, is fantastic - you can believe in the Mars of Red Faction: Guerilla as you can in the worlds of few other open world games - here, it feels alive, more akin to Morrowind's Vvardenfel than any sterile, constantly-respawning city of Grand Theft Auto.

Both technologically and atmospherically, RF:G provides an incredible gaming experience, one of very few action games that can satisfy my imagination like a classic RPG, or the freedom of Hitman: Codename 47.

Give it a try - it costs very little today - and support Volition by trying out their next release; Red Faction: Armageddon.
  4. May 25, 2011
    One of the greatest games this gen. Sure it's lax on story, but it's there and it's perfectly fine.

It delivers loads of content to play around with and hours upon hours of destruction based gameplay.
  5. Jun 8, 2011
    Great game! I really enjoyed the storyline and the destruction. Multiplayer is alot of fun and the backpacks just add to the chaos.

Overall this game is great and is a great time waster.
  6. Aug 29, 2011
    From Volition Inc comes Red Faction Guerrilla an open world destruction game. I combines explosions with open world action. You are Alec Mason an explosives expert who is sent to Mars early in the game your brother is killed and the Red Faction takes you in and you get started with your destruction and killing the Earth Defense Force the main enemy. Or you could just run around blowing stuff up. The story missions are generally fantastic but there are one or two terrible ones. But all the missions are very wide open you can take different approaches. The game engine is geo mod 2.0 and unlike Red Faction 1 and 2 you only destroy every building instead of edit the land. The graphics are impressive but sometimes I got some bugs with the graphics. The explosions look and sound great. So it's a 9. This review will be on my blog at http://maximalistgtg.blogspot.com/2011/08/red-faction-guerilla.html Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2012
    What a great game.. Its awesome. To me its one of the best sandbox games i have ever played, it so **** underrated, i recommend it to every gamer out there
  8. Mar 15, 2012
  9. Apr 11, 2012
    After starting the game, I spent 20 minutes just destroying walls, destroying the floor and just causing mayhem with a sledgehammer. When I finally decided to follow the mission I got trigger-happy with the explosives, becoming somewhat of a demoman. I majorly enjoyed the destruction engine, and the fact that pretty much anything can be blown up, smashed or shot. After finishing the tutorial, I hopped into one of the ute/truck like vehicles and started to run down people, run through walls and just causing more mayhem behind the wheel.
    I found Red Faction Guerilla an interesting game. What I adore about it is that its a sandbox where when it comes to destruction the skies the limit. However, what I did find was that many of the enemies are quite difficult to kill on Normal, as it takes close to a full clip (40 rounds) to defeat an opponent. The storyline is not bad, however the death at the start (not naming names) was unexpected. Overall, this deserves to be recognised along with games with a destruction engine similar like Battlefield, Brothers in arms Hells Highway and Quantum of Solace. This game deserves recognition as a game that is absolutely amazing. A few kinks but the rest very easily makes up for it.
  10. Jul 20, 2012
    Personally I didn't like the singleplayer mode on this game, it becomes boring quite fast.
    That said, the Multiplayer is simply AMAZING alot like the old Red Faction1, awesome weapons, hammers and special ability backpacks. The gamecontrols are very easy to use and maps are very simple, I really enjoyed the MP in this game alot.
  11. Oct 2, 2012
    Recently picked up this game for 5 bucks on steam, I didn't regret it at all. It demostrates something that has been rare in recent games, some good ole explosions, most of the games recently have been shoot em ups, with little desctruction elements besides things like vehicles. Beautiful landscape and polished gameplay make this a treat to play
  12. Jun 13, 2013
    Played this game twice through story mode, and once with the pc add-on marauders campaign, and it is an excellent piece of work! This is more like "GTA with WAY MORE cool stuff to do". Though it can get a little difficult to continually push back their attacks, should you set off too many alarms. Really nice FOV blurring, totally immerses you in your firefights from small to large scale. If you go exploring at night, expect to be ambushed by marauders! But they have their own unique weapons, so it's worth it. They also control a large piece of desert to the southeast on the map, which is worth exploring in detail once the story provides time. Bottom line, this game is easy on your gpu, is very well polished and optimized AND comes with an extra marauder campaign for when you finish the primary! Steam has had it on sale 3 times, I paid 10 bucks for it and was well worth the 40+ hours spent on it. Now it's on sale for 5, I hope many more people realize this game's greatness Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2012
    love this game! i remember playing the older Red faction games and i missed the environment destruction from the older ones i love destroying the buildings which is why i got the game i wasn't paying attention to the story as much as i should have....but i the physics of destroyed buildings where there was only one support strut in place and the building didn't collapse under its own weight kinda killed the game play for me...would have liked more building to destroy though or ones that would be rebuilt so i could destroy them again would have kept me entertained for days.... Expand
  14. Oct 14, 2012
    Honestly, this is one of the best open world third person shooters i have ever played. The other games in the red faction series were not always that great but i greatly enjoyed this one. It helps make the game fun when you can destroy any building you see.
  15. Dec 21, 2012
    Every man-made structure in sight is made of cardboard and you're armed with explosives... *lightbulb* Who cares about the main plot when you can cause/watch the world burn?

In all seriousness, a good game, but I still believe the main selling point is the destructible environment. Something about covering a residential building with demolition charges and then watching every piece fly
    off into the distance floods my brain with dopamine. Expand
  16. Mar 11, 2013
    Probably my favourite game ever, Beautiful colour scheme and art, but the terrain isn't destructible like the previous games whereas the scenery and buildings are instead, another thing, the keyboard controls are a tad clunky but you do get used to them after a good 2 hours of playing.

1. Red Faction: Guerrilla is a sandbox game in its purest form. Watching giant structures collapse is an absolute thrill, and although the characters and their backgrounds aren't very compelling, the awesome weapons and great amount of side missions will take players on a path of destruction for hours to come.
    Despite its lackluster storytelling, Red Faction: Guerrilla is a whole lot of fun to play, thanks to its meaty campaign and well-rounded multiplayer offerings.
  3. The best in-game destruction ever can't make up for a few major shortcomings, but when a game is built to blow up buildings, it's hard to find much fault when it does that so well. You'll definitely overlook the shortcomings and focus on what this game does well instead.