8.4

1. Sep 3, 2014
    This game is one of mine most favorated FPS games of all time. Even to day this game single player still beast 99% of curent games. Even to day this game is awesome and worth playing.
  2. Jul 22, 2014
    Its essentially half-life on Mars with a inferior story. I will admit the gameplay is fun at times and the soundtrack is decent. But overall if your looking for a good classic shooter get half life or deus ex.
  3. Nov 1, 2013
    Red Faction is fabulous. It moves at an extremely fast speed, and it has a bit more depth to it than other first person shooters, which usually center around the plot of "find the keycard to open the door". There is very little of that in RF.

The game is rather difficult, which compensates somewhat for the fact that it is short, maybe 10-15 hours long. But those 10-15 hours are worth it, as there is no wasted time here. RF never, ever, gets boring.

As for the controls, if you have played Oni before, you already know the basic control scheme. It's fairly easy to get used to. Just play the training level and you'll probably have it down quickly, although you may want to indulge in some minor retooling, since the action button is insanely far away from the movement buttons in the default control scheme.

As for the graphics, they are good, but not great. There is a certain choppiness to everything in the cinemas, and sometimes movement of your enemies seems quite awkward and forced. But this is okay, since you encounter some rather nasty looking creatures later on, and the lack of excellent graphics means that they are not quite as terrifying as you would expect.

One really nice facet of this game is the Geo-Mod engine, which allows you to blow holes in about 80% of everything you see. Door locked? No problem. Just whip out the Rocket Launcher (a.k.a. "Big Earl")and blast about 3 rockets into the wall, enabling you to simply go around the door. Unfortunately, you cannot simply blow a hole in the door, and there are parts of the game where you can't take advantage of the Geo-Mod engine. Oh well.

Lastly, the plot and voice acting are both very good. The plot is simple, but not boring at all, and the acting is great.

This game is unbelievable. Volition and THQ did a great job.
  4. Aug 24, 2013
    A highly enjoyable game at the time it was made with many great ideas. The game starts off really well in a great setting and good atmospehre. Gameplay starts off at a good pace however it starts to get very frantic and begins to lose some of the atmosphere. Only thing stopping it from similar quality games of the time such as Half Life is a little lack of polish in certain areas and notA highly enjoyable game at the time it was made with many great ideas. The game starts off really well in a great setting and good atmospehre. Gameplay starts off at a good pace however it starts to get very frantic and begins to lose some of the atmosphere. Only thing stopping it from similar quality games of the time such as Half Life is a little lack of polish in certain areas and not taking advantage of the biggest asset with the Geo-Mod.

Still well worth playing.
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    I score this game a lot lower than I wanted too, especially being a fan of the older fps games like doom, quake, half life, etc. I bought this in a bundle with the other Red Faction games and wanted to play through them in order of story, but this game is making it really hard for me. The geo-mod is cool, though as many others have said, it is extremely under-utilized. You go around aI score this game a lot lower than I wanted too, especially being a fan of the older fps games like doom, quake, half life, etc. I bought this in a bundle with the other Red Faction games and wanted to play through them in order of story, but this game is making it really hard for me. The geo-mod is cool, though as many others have said, it is extremely under-utilized. You go around a locked door once, then that's pretty much it (I tried doing this around other doors to get a good vantage point on enemies but found the rock completely indestructible). The game is extremely hard, and sometimes in a fun way, but a lot of times it just felt cheap. The AI knows where you are at all times and shoots you before you even see them, and getting swarmed by multiple enemies that take 30+ bullets to kill is just frustrating. Speaking of frustrations, a lot of the bosses are BAD and not for GOOD reasons. They either kill you through walls or get stuck on an environment. I had to start over with one boss around 20 times until the boss finally decided to do what it was supposed to do. The game has a lot of cool ideas, but it just wasn't fun to play. Most of the time I just played to try to finish the story, but quit because I wasn't enjoying the game. Expand
  6. Jan 22, 2013
    A great game. Hell, this game actually made me love FPS, before Red Faction i always preferred PRG's and other games. This game has interesting story, nice design and cool storyline, certainly must have for any FPS or Sci-fi fan.
  7. Oct 16, 2012
    One of the older FPS games out there. Perhaps what Red Faction is most known for is the Geo-mod, which makes a lot of the environment destructible with the right weaponry. However, although this is a really great feature, I felt as though the game used nowhere near enough of its potential. You only really had to do it a couple of times in the beginning and then for the rest of the game itOne of the older FPS games out there. Perhaps what Red Faction is most known for is the Geo-mod, which makes a lot of the environment destructible with the right weaponry. However, although this is a really great feature, I felt as though the game used nowhere near enough of its potential. You only really had to do it a couple of times in the beginning and then for the rest of the game it was forgotten and ignored completely. As a simple FPS game, Red Faction is not bad at all. It is fun for short bursts of playtime as you mindlessly shoot the enemies with a nice variety of guns in a cool sci-fi setting. The background music is really cool too and fits the setting really well. In some ways I felt as though the game was inspired by Half Life and Deus Ex. However, having said all that, the game has plenty of drawbacks. I'm completely looking past the silly voice acting since it was kind of funny in some ways. The drawback mainly for me was that Red Faction was very repetitive and just a mindless shooter. It didn't involve you using any clever tactics and such. The whole game is just how quickly you can shoot all the people in the room. You can only play it in short, half-hour bursts before getting bored. Although the game did try to change pace in some parts, I personally found all those parts to be quite ineffective and even annoying, whether it's getting a dumb AI robot to hover over a disposal pit, extremely bland underwater combat, or the stealthy infiltration parts. Although stealthy parts weren't too bad, the game didn't have enough to make them more engaging. Most of the time there was no way of telling what would cause someone to become suspicious of you and what wouldn't. And also, when your cover does get blown, you have to still continue the rest of the area in your disguise with just a stealth pistol, which was pretty annoying because by that stage I would've preferred to take out more powerful weapons to fight off the guards. In the end I just don't see this game lasting me many hours. To conclude, I'd say unless you wish to play every FPS game under the Sun, give this one a miss. If you are into older FPS games, just stick with Half Life. Expand
  8. Feb 27, 2012
    Total single-player completion time: 6 hours.
    Total single-player completion time: 6 hours.
    I was always hesitant to pick up Red Faction. But I'm glad I finally did because it was worth the experience. Sure, the graphics don't hold up well, the voice acting is laughably bad, the stealth levels are annoying, getting one hit killed by the AI the instant you peak a corner is cheap, and getting 1920x1080 resolution requires a community patch. But the game is FUN. I used the various weapons equally, the environmental damage is neat (although underused), the story is simple yet interesting, and the fast paced gameplay keeps you on edge. What I especially appreciated were the various branching paths leading to the same objective. I only wish the game were a bit longer.
  9. Jun 13, 2011
    Workers' revolts are always awesome. Where the game lacked in convincing voice acting, it made up for in gameplay and the ability to blow things up. Not the greatest game ever made, but well worth playing.

1. Red Faction is not a classic, but the new Doom ain’t out yet buddy. Red Faction will allow you to practice the frag fest fever for the time being.
  2. A couple of years ago, Red Faction would have been a stellar title but now, it’s simply a very good one.
  3. The single-player experience is great on its own, which explains the success of the PS2 version, but with the addition of a powerful and customisable multiplayer mode, PC owners are in for a treat.