7.3

1. Sep 18, 2011
    The combat is fierce. The avatar weapons are very well done, it feels authentic. Cover and mantling is very good. The maps are detailed, and offer plenty of dramatic play. The fundamental offering of WW2 combat is met, which gives HOW hope for the future.

Where HOS falls down is in leaving the realism genre for an arcade offering. More accurately, it tries to straddle the fence, and predictably, slips and nuts itself with a leg on either side. In trying to please both, HOS pleases neither the realism crowd, nor the arcade crowd.

HOS incorporates all of the tired features of the successful shooters: recon planes, mini-maps, radar, automatic reloading, leveling, and skill grinding. By doing this, it is competing against the biggest gimmick shooter companies. It will lose. TWI does not have the resources to compete on the disposable game market. Therefore, the arcade shooters attracted by bells and whistles will move on to the next game, leaving RO standing in its present state before the realism audience. This will be a dire moment.

An example of one of the gimmicks that are not innovative and that get old quickly is the canned voices. The voices are cute at first, but soon get tedious, as they become the same thing over and over again, or give one away as they are trying to be stealthy. The unintended side effect of canned voices is that players are left unable to communicate effectively about the battlefield. This is an example of a major re playability error. Much more attention should have been given to what players want to say, not what the software is programmed to say.

The more a game plays itself, the more disposable it is. The more a game needs to be played, the more it will endear itself to the community that made RO successful. Canned voices is one example of the game being taken away from players.

That the game lacks any real historical context is another glaring fault that will affect it's long term chances. The maps start and stop with no contextual background, no information on the units fighting, where they are, or why they are there. There is simply a side start screen, and the map starts. An arbitrary battle that ends in a tired theme song and another canned voice. Modders and map makers will want to tell the story of their contribution. In its present state, HOS is arbitrary in its context, and repetitive in its presentation and conclusion of the map.

HOS destroys Fog of War with recon planes and maps showing enemy locations. This type of feature firmly implants HOS in the genre of disposable game. The realism community requires the puzzle of combat, the arcade crowd required targets presented at a fast pace. When the arcade players move on, HOS will stand before the realism faithful as a redundant, self-playing game. There are numerous examples of this effect. HOS should have taken advantage of the void re: realism shooters, and entered the game world defiantly, with a solid, realistic game. Instead of blinking-lights, TWI should have focused on features that would make the game dynamic for years to come: flamethrowers, spreading and persistent fire, in-game hero effects, player placed MG positions (not the forever frozen ones it has now) and any other of a myriad of potential things that the scenario of Stalingrad combat gives. HOS should have stood firm on the requirements of realism shooters. The response to "I don't know where my enemies are" should not be "Here is a radar". It should be "listen to the battle, you will learn".

It will be very interesting to see where HOS goes from here. The bugs and balance issues will be fixed. What remains to be seen is how the game will rebound from the inevitable disposal it will face, and what the realism faithful will decide to do.
  2. Sep 15, 2011
    Was a part of the beta of the Digital Deluxe Edition and I have to say the final product on release day performs and looks worse than the beta. Extremely poor performance and catastrophic balance problems. Also the game devs frequently argue with community members on forums and delete criticizing posts and lock threads which contain criticism.
  3. Sep 14, 2011
    Look at all those 10's. Those people are lying to you. 10 is perfection. This game is far from perfect. Tripwire even said so in there release of the game.

This game is for tactical "elitists." Those guys who buy COD and buy Crouch servers and try to get you to play by their rules. This is the game for them... but this game is terribly flawed and terrible looking. If they fixed all the bugs, maybe this game would be an 8/10 to those people only... because a game this bad looking is not 10/10 ever.

Specs:
    i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, 2x6850... I get 40 FPS staring at a DirectX 9 wall indoors. Outdoors, 30 FPS. Gunfire, less than 30 FPS. All bug related. The beta gave me 50-60 FPS.

Sever Browser is broken.

The game is 2004-2006 looking.

By christmas this game will be fixed up and will make some people happy. But that time is not now. And do not even read all these 10/10 reviews. They are heavily biased.

This game has potential to be a fun to some, but they released a broken game. 10/10 reviewers should be ashamed for their lies. Nobody can honestly justify 10/10... unless your just some childish fanboy who wants to rip on the BF3/MW3 fans... and want people to believe this is in some way better because it fits their playing preference better.

If you're going to take any advice from these User Scores... Don't. Wait for a free weekend/guest pass, or wait for the Critics review this game. There is clearly a lot of bias going around here, but my advice is to not rush into buying this game.
  4. Sep 13, 2011
    Giving this game a '10' is unconscionable sycophantism toward TWI. The game is a mess. Graphics are dated, game-play is clunky, 'cutting-edge' features such as cover are broken. Server browser is broken, game crashes constantly. Performance even on high-end hardware is problematic. Read the steam forums before spending your hard earned cash on this turkey, and/or wait until it goes on deepGiving this game a '10' is unconscionable sycophantism toward TWI. The game is a mess. Graphics are dated, game-play is clunky, 'cutting-edge' features such as cover are broken. Server browser is broken, game crashes constantly. Performance even on high-end hardware is problematic. Read the steam forums before spending your hard earned cash on this turkey, and/or wait until it goes on deep sale, which should be soon. I give it a three - it's not the worst release this year, but it's certainly in the running.

If you don't care about quality, are a rebid WW II fan, and enjoy elitist communities, with developers that purge any negative commentary from their forums, this might be the game for you, otherwise, give it a pass.
  5. Sep 13, 2011
    One of the most disappointing releases this year. Red Orchestra 2 could of been one of the greatest games this year, it was also one title I've been waiting for all year. Instead it's glorified with endless bugs, poor optimization, and unplayable multiplayer due to a broken server browser. They originally delayed the games release for two weeks, those two weeks have past-- they haveOne of the most disappointing releases this year. Red Orchestra 2 could of been one of the greatest games this year, it was also one title I've been waiting for all year. Instead it's glorified with endless bugs, poor optimization, and unplayable multiplayer due to a broken server browser. They originally delayed the games release for two weeks, those two weeks have past-- they have released their product in an unplayable state, it's ultimately inexcusable. They have spit on everyone hard earned money who bought their game, shame on them. I don't know what Tripwires standards are but I assure you that they are substandard. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2011
    At the time of this review this game should not have been released. There are so many bugs with this game it isn't even funny. Some people can snipe across the entire map, while others cannot evey get the server browser working. A lot of the menus don't allow double clicking as confirmation or you'll get prompts for cmds that don't respond, or empty a clip into someone and have them turnAt the time of this review this game should not have been released. There are so many bugs with this game it isn't even funny. Some people can snipe across the entire map, while others cannot evey get the server browser working. A lot of the menus don't allow double clicking as confirmation or you'll get prompts for cmds that don't respond, or empty a clip into someone and have them turn and one shot you, then there is the prone bug, and people being able to sometimes head shot you through the ground, destroyed tanks, even smoke. But the worst so far must be that the game doesn't record stats or xp on release so at the moment there is no point in playing multiplayer as you cannot levelup. I'd give this game a 7 if the bugs were fixed but as it currently stands the game is just too broken and buggy. Wait a while and see if they patch it as tripwire generally has a good record with patches but until then don't buy it. Expand
  7. Sep 13, 2011
    Brief recap: RO2 is pretty bad. As a RO long timer I've been waiting for this game for a long time. I really wanted to like it but unfortunately i can't. The sequel doesn't catch at all the feeling and the game play of the first RO. The way you move around, the balistics, the granede toss, the satchel cooking...nothing is the same in RO2. Worst still, it's buggy and frustrating ("cannotBrief recap: RO2 is pretty bad. As a RO long timer I've been waiting for this game for a long time. I really wanted to like it but unfortunately i can't. The sequel doesn't catch at all the feeling and the game play of the first RO. The way you move around, the balistics, the granede toss, the satchel cooking...nothing is the same in RO2. Worst still, it's buggy and frustrating ("cannot prone here" in semi open field, "can't deploy here" in places well suited for deploying a maching gun and so on). A missed chance. A let down.
    Stay away.
  8. Sep 14, 2011
    As a long-time RO player, I can only say that RO2 is a total disaster. There are simply many, many problems with the new game. The obvious tech stuff: Low FPS on high-end systems, broken server browser, high latencies, weird menu
    The game-play things: The controls are awkward; one action button handles basically everything. You can't prone where you're obviously able to prone (open field?!), you can't put down stationary machine guns where they would be absolutely fine, the grenades fly in a very weird way and so on...

It's just insane. All that aside, TWI continue to be total d*cks and keep removing honest and constructive criticism from their forums. Way to go, TWI...way to go.

Bottom line is: Unfinished game that may get better with the next 'few' patches. Don't buy it yet.
  9. Sep 13, 2011
    The game has incredible potential, but in it's current state it is not worth recommending. Buggy as hell, extremely poorly optimized.

It's going to be demolished by BF3 and MW3 when they come out if they don't fix their stuff...
  10. Sep 13, 2011
    I have never before seen a game so poorly optimized. I loved the original and can only pray that they fix this major issues, but on a modern computer with the best CPU's, GPU's, RAM out there, there is no excuse for how choppy the game is.
  11. Sep 13, 2011
    Another entry into the tired WWII genre with even worse gameplay mechanics. Really terrible and buggy amateur work that still feels as if it's in beta.
  12. Sep 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As for this game, there are too a lot of bugs. This result is very regrettable though I was a fan of the former work. Other User Score cannot be trusted. Expand
  13. Sep 13, 2011
    I cannot believe how bad this game. This game has the graphics of a 2004 game and the performance of a console port. Constant stuttering and do not even think of maxing it out, even on the highest spec systems. Some would be quick to blame it on the UT3, but that is not the case, just look at how good Bulletstorm plays and looks compared to this. The gameplay is where they say this gameI cannot believe how bad this game. This game has the graphics of a 2004 game and the performance of a console port. Constant stuttering and do not even think of maxing it out, even on the highest spec systems. Some would be quick to blame it on the UT3, but that is not the case, just look at how good Bulletstorm plays and looks compared to this. The gameplay is where they say this game shines, but they could not be more wrong. Gameplay is boring, dull and a huge bugfest. There is nowhere in the game that is a fun climax, it is just all a steady boring gameplay, where you will maybe shoot one person in 30 minutes. Save yourself the money and don't buy this game. Expand
  14. Sep 13, 2011
    The game is really awful. Even with an high-end GPU/CPU, this game runs like crap. Also, the game will frequently crash to desktop. Can't believe that this game has been released with all those issues. Don't buy this.
  15. Sep 13, 2011
    RO2 is totally disaster. The only positive thing is sound. Game is still pretty buggy and feels still same as beta. I can't recommend this to anyone.
  16. Sep 27, 2011
    I can't give a score to a unfinished developing game. And won't.
    I regret my purchase. This is not worth recommending. You'd rather save your money for upcoming other FPS games. Because of annoying bugs, Multiplay's already dead. And tutorial don't reflect key remapping, and friendly bots crane their head to in front of your gun. respawning bug. etc. singleplay's hell a mess.
    this game's
    I can't give a score to a unfinished developing game. And won't.
    this game's completely incomplete.
  17. Oct 12, 2011
    RO:2 is a big let down from Ostfront 41-42. Although the game may be pretty you have to get the game to function properly to get it to work . This is a very serious issue especially since the BETA ran smoother than the final product. After getting into a game and getting decent frames(30 FPS) You get dumbed down CoD style maps and a ranking and unlock system. I thought this game wasRO:2 is a big let down from Ostfront 41-42. Although the game may be pretty you have to get the game to function properly to get it to work . This is a very serious issue especially since the BETA ran smoother than the final product. After getting into a game and getting decent frames(30 FPS) You get dumbed down CoD style maps and a ranking and unlock system. I thought this game was supposed to be realistic not an arcade shooter? In Ostfront 41-42 I could easily choose my class and have a selection of 1-3 weapons used by the real soldiers of that faction. The classes were still there though. After playing a few hours i had made my decision. I bought a game that had small maps with BF2 like gameplay and it didn't even run. On to the developer opinion: After waiting for about a week for news about Crossfire users TWI finally posted something. They basically said AMD Corssfire users were having bottleneck issues between their CPUs and GPUs. If this is the case then why can I run BBFBC2 and the BF3 beta @ 100+ frames @ max settings? very disappointed. Expand
  18. Oct 23, 2011
    I played Ro1 for 4 years. For me Red Orchestra (original) is a greatest FPS ever. RO2 is bad mix of BF/COD, bugs and even more bugs. This is unfinished product. Maps are poorly made and teamwork doesn't exist. RO2 will never become as RO1 was and can be called a fail. I know some people like this game, and I am not going to say it is trash. But I am not alone here, and I know countlessI played Ro1 for 4 years. For me Red Orchestra (original) is a greatest FPS ever. RO2 is bad mix of BF/COD, bugs and even more bugs. This is unfinished product. Maps are poorly made and teamwork doesn't exist. RO2 will never become as RO1 was and can be called a fail. I know some people like this game, and I am not going to say it is trash. But I am not alone here, and I know countless people who refuse to even play the game anymore due to its instability, poorly made maps. RO2 is spray and pray game just like COD. Lets talk about controls: Left CTRL is a magic button. With this button you can hide behind wall, give ammo, pick up weapon, use bandage. Problem is for example if a weapon is near a wall and than you have a hard time if you wish to pick it up. Unlocking system in RO2 is a horror I just cannot explain how bad unlocking system is. Don't waste you money on this half product. Expand
  19. Oct 8, 2011
    Who knew that "realism" shooters meant next-to no weapon sway whatsoever. Along with being uninspired and boring, the game turns out to be a hilarious SMG fest with broken hitboxes and broken features like their global stat system. This is what happens when an honest and talented group of modders get handed a slice of cake.
  20. Nov 11, 2011
    ridiculous, I bought this game out of pure hype. And i'm truly disappointed I did. Honestly, This game is pure crap. Terrible. Probably sold so much because of stupid hats, Worst $60 I ever spent in my life. I really want my money back. Oh and the most terrible thing in this game is the tank gameplay, Its just absolutely ****
  21. Dec 20, 2011
    The game is so flawed it's almost unplayable. I'm not even talking about the poor performance issue, but in fact the various flaws in the game design itself.

The game system will constantly auto kill you, you will fall through the map, you will die leaving the invisible zone, you will die trying to capture a house.... basically you will be dying a lot, but not by the hands of the opponent, but rather by the hands of the devs :/

Was really looking forward to a realistic WWII shooter, but this game is too much of a disappointment!
  22. Dec 5, 2011
    You can find many free shooters to play that excel over this in almost every fashion.
    I bought the game looking for a team based experience but ended up getting killed over and over and over in a graphically sub par game. I would use the word HORRID to describe this tripe, but it would not convey the truth of my sentiment. Avoid this. You have been warned.
  23. Sep 25, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this game. But between the FOV max of 75, and the bouncy movement I start feeling nauseous within a couple mins, so it is unplayable for me. The AI is just silly with enemy units commonly running at hyper speed in back and forth motions or in circles. Further, the spawning of enemy is not realistic at all, the locations seem to be scripted such that theyI was really looking forward to this game. But between the FOV max of 75, and the bouncy movement I start feeling nauseous within a couple mins, so it is unplayable for me. The AI is just silly with enemy units commonly running at hyper speed in back and forth motions or in circles. Further, the spawning of enemy is not realistic at all, the locations seem to be scripted such that they suddenly appear in locations you've already cleared. Lesson learned, never buy a game without a demo. Expand
  24. Aug 24, 2012
    No no no no no. Save your money and read a book. I thought the time effort and money I put onto researching and eventually buying this game a shrew investment which would be an enjoyable and tactical feast of game play with some good visuals. I am afraid I am wrong in every way. RO2 is one of the least enjoyable games I have played for sometime. It is like playing a very dull flightNo no no no no. Save your money and read a book. I thought the time effort and money I put onto researching and eventually buying this game a shrew investment which would be an enjoyable and tactical feast of game play with some good visuals. I am afraid I am wrong in every way. RO2 is one of the least enjoyable games I have played for sometime. It is like playing a very dull flight simulator only on the battlefield.
    I will put it simply this is like Call of Duty 2 trying to be a simulator and taking every enjoyable aspect out of the gameplay. Sorry to compare but this is exactly how it feels.
    Controls are wooden fiddly and non intuitive. Graphics are woeful. The occasional hue, sun glare, and haze effects do not detract from virtually zero detail and textures and just plain dull graphics. The "tank" view is hysterical like something seen from a ZX spectrum from the 80's. Worst of all the sound is laughable and the effects close to appalling. Other issues are dull gameplay and uninspiring maps with no feel or soul. The reason I bought this game is that I was sold on this. If the game was as massive as ARMA 2 then I would forgive the lack of graphical depth, however the maps are probably only twice the size of CoD games.
    The only reason to buy this game in my opinion is that you have a specific interest with the developers of from people who know the developers.
  25. Oct 22, 2011
    i found this game to be buggy,poor visuals and in my thoughts non realistic which would be fine since it's a game but with all the touting of the game I expected just o.k. then lets get to single player/major fail/multi player you can see and shoot through walls and they did and laughed as they kept doing updates no matter what my stats and advances never took. even now My stats do noti found this game to be buggy,poor visuals and in my thoughts non realistic which would be fine since it's a game but with all the touting of the game I expected just o.k. then lets get to single player/major fail/multi player you can see and shoot through walls and they did and laughed as they kept doing updates no matter what my stats and advances never took. even now My stats do not increase I have to put this into the category of waste of money and ive only done that with this game and a sniper game and I own over 200 games. I even fond useless games for their price worth it just to try it but this game is messed up and the game just is not for avid gamers in my opinion Expand
  26. Dec 22, 2011
    Hmm, where to begin with this mess?

First, in a first person shooter game, I have never found such ridiculous hit boxes. Hit detection in this game is truly screwed up, probably a result of horrible multiplayer code. You *will* stick a submachine gun into someones chest and they *will* not die even after unloading a full clip. This also makes leading moving targets fairly hard. For
    Hmm, where to begin with this mess?

For whatever reason, the dev's added NPC tannk crewmembers. THis might be ok - if they did not also shoot the guns for you. Very easy to park a tank in a key location, particularly as Axis, and let your super-soldier NPC AI friends mow down everyone coming in. They are far more accurate than they should be, I have exploited this a few times - but it's not really fun, just obnoxious. The tanks also feel like moving a cardboard box around instead of driving.

Oh - the upgrade weapons! IN their infinite wisdom, they added a bunch of weapons that were never mass produced, such as the precusor to the AK-47. Instead of a deliberately paced rifle shooter, we end up with a blandly themed, poorly performing CoD World at War 2.0 - everyone and their mom is running around with some unusual weapon.

I hope the idiots that published this trash enjoy their Lamborghini - I will never buy anything from them - or associated with their names - again. Complete rip off - you get a handful of maps some of which don't even work. It also crashes frequently and the netcode is so bad pings average 300ms with a very fast connection.
  27. Sep 22, 2011
    This game is a buggy, pre-beta quality mess. Now, it comes to light that TWI is removing game capabilities and calling it a performance enhancement. See the TWI and Steam forums for the BS - the game visuals were chopped, without notifying the paying users, and now look even worse. DO NOT THINK THE GAME YOU GET WILL LOOK LIKE WHAT TWI SHOWS YOU! Add to that the unbelievable arrogance andThis game is a buggy, pre-beta quality mess. Now, it comes to light that TWI is removing game capabilities and calling it a performance enhancement. See the TWI and Steam forums for the BS - the game visuals were chopped, without notifying the paying users, and now look even worse. DO NOT THINK THE GAME YOU GET WILL LOOK LIKE WHAT TWI SHOWS YOU! Add to that the unbelievable arrogance and pomposity of the CEO's response to the pissed off users...

This thing is a dud, if you have not been already suckered into buying it, DON'T! Do not reward flaky developers.
  28. Sep 23, 2011
    This game is not even a shadow of what the original Red Orchestra was in terms of gameplay.
    The controls and movement feel clunky, graphics are bugged, model swapping is distracting and the lighting and shadows is overdone, and the anti aliasing looks blurred, and everyone seem to have a railgun because they removed the weapon sway.
    Tripwire constantly say they go for realism, yet this

Tripwire constantly say they go for realism, yet this game is full of weapons that unbalance the game that weren't even in the real battle for Stalingrad, and yet, the most popular SMG which is the PPSH41 with a drum mag is not even there until you grind a big chunk of your life in this already frustrating game (that unless the system bugs out and unlocks it for you instantly).

It seems that this game had no direction, no focus or specific audience, and Tripwire doesn't seem to have the skills to pull of such an ambitious project, and they think it can live alienating the existing fanbase with all their troll decisions.

Well, the result is that the previous game is a much better game, and the Scores speak for themselves.

I feel ashamed for recommending this game to my friends, my advice, if you want the best WW2 shooter, get Red Orchestra: Ostfront instead.
  29. Feb 18, 2012
    I feel violated. Not only do I feel robbed of my pre order money. This is not the game tripwire told us it would be. They didn´t mention they would release a beta and charge full price for it. They didn´t mention it would be a bad call of duty clone. They didn´t mention it would not work on alot of rigs. The reason for releasing this beta instead of aI feel violated. Not only do I feel robbed of my pre order money. This is not the game tripwire told us it would be. They didn´t mention they would release a beta and charge full price for it. They didn´t mention it would be a bad call of duty clone. They didn´t mention it would not work on alot of rigs. The reason for releasing this beta instead of a finished product was simple: money. With BF3 and Modern warfare 3 soon to be released aswell, tripwire figured if they were first on the scene they could get alot of people waiting for those games to buy RO2 and play while they awaited the other games. It worked with the preorder, on the day of RO2´s release there where around 10.000 players at peak hours. After a week that number was less than 3000. Now, six months later, this game is stuggles to get above 1000. Is it a good beta then? Sadly not even that. Besides the bucketload of bugs, still unadressed six months after release there are still alot of things that will never be changed. The biggest and most gamebreaking one of these things is the netcoding. When you fire a weapon, you have to lead for ping. And because the ping is never consistent, you have to guess where your shot will land. We can thank Ramm for that one, among other things. This might be fixed by modders, who in all likelyhood will do a better job than the amateurs at tripwire. Add to this a less than customer friendly attitude of some of the teripwire team *cough* Rammjaeger *cough* this experience has lead me to decide to never spend any more my hard earned money on products coming from Tripwire.
    Tl:Dr version = BETRAYAL!!!
  30. Dec 29, 2011
    Could have been the perfect game but completely failed to live up to RO1, the release of RO2 was rushed which lead to an unfinished and buggy product, some promised features like co-op campaign was missing, all this resulted in a massive drop of players the first weeks, RO2 was literally dead after one month although the troll-based community refuse to admit it and continues to live inCould have been the perfect game but completely failed to live up to RO1, the release of RO2 was rushed which lead to an unfinished and buggy product, some promised features like co-op campaign was missing, all this resulted in a massive drop of players the first weeks, RO2 was literally dead after one month although the troll-based community refuse to admit it and continues to live in denial. Such a shame on a game that could have been so much more. Expand
  31. Apr 8, 2012
    As a big RO fan, I feel really disappointed. 7 months after the release, this game is really far from being good. Let me be honest with you: I find this game so bad that giving this even a 6 is an insult to all Ostfront fans. We can't talk 'bout realism if a PTRS round is able to pass through the front armor of a tank turret and kill its gunner, if a soldier can heal himself with a patchAs a big RO fan, I feel really disappointed. 7 months after the release, this game is really far from being good. Let me be honest with you: I find this game so bad that giving this even a 6 is an insult to all Ostfront fans. We can't talk 'bout realism if a PTRS round is able to pass through the front armor of a tank turret and kill its gunner, if a soldier can heal himself with a patch after taking so 2-3 rifle bullets at close range but a binocular stab or a bayo kills instantly, if someone is not able to lay down near a wall 'cause "he's too close to it", if grenades are deadly only if you throw them really close to the opponents (if someone knows how deadly nades are)... We can't talk 'bout a complete game since there are still bad bugs (falling through the terrain after spawning, getting stuck to the walls with a tank or in a hole while trying to find cover, watching through texture etc etc), the game is not completed (campaign still missing, 2 bad coded tanks only and still 9 maps, some of them are really unbalanced), there's lack of players ( at the moment, 500 at max as far as I know and see) which means that there's a lack of general interest, there's not a proper cheat detection (just have a look on youtube), it requires a good rig otherwise you'll go pixel hunting most of the times... It's too expensive for what it really offers. I still play the game and still hope it will get better, but for now I suggest you to save your moneys and play something else untill it will be fixed, new maps will come out and, hopefully, we will have the same feeling of playing Ostfront back. I'm sorry, TWI, you made too many mistakes and you don't listen to your community. Expand
  32. Sep 16, 2011
    I was excited for this game, i thought it looks pretty fun. So i pre purchased it on steam and got the beta. Worst 35 dollars i have ever spent. The games visuals are horrible and even on a very high end computer it runs terrible. If i can run crysis 2 maxed out and not this, there is a problem
  33. Sep 29, 2011
    First of all, how can they call this a realistic wargame when all the weapons are scoped and the FOV is what you would expect from some lame FPS console game? This is virtually a sniper vs. sniper game. Weapons weren't used like this during WW2. Machine guns are useless bullet magnets. It takes exactly two bursts before you get spotted and sniped down. In addition, the hit detection isFirst of all, how can they call this a realistic wargame when all the weapons are scoped and the FOV is what you would expect from some lame FPS console game? This is virtually a sniper vs. sniper game. Weapons weren't used like this during WW2. Machine guns are useless bullet magnets. It takes exactly two bursts before you get spotted and sniped down. In addition, the hit detection is horrible, the lack of proper footstep sounds makes it impossible to hear enemies even when they are running on a concrete floor right next to you(although you can be sure the silly auto voices ruins your stealth juuust at the right moment) and the interface is just clunky. Sometimes you can go prone, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can use cover, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can reload, sometimes you can't. If you like sniping and don't mind sitting at the same spot for 10 minutes until some poor sod enters your machinegun scope so you can snipe him off with single fire, then this is the game for you. Expand
  34. Sep 16, 2011
    I honesty don't know how many patches and how long it will take the modding community to make this game playable. This release was a complete disaster at best. Who the heck opens a public beta 2 weeks before official release?? Considering how awful the game is at current state I don't think Tripwire even cared to be honest if the game was buggy or not. Worst still is how people perfectlyI honesty don't know how many patches and how long it will take the modding community to make this game playable. This release was a complete disaster at best. Who the heck opens a public beta 2 weeks before official release?? Considering how awful the game is at current state I don't think Tripwire even cared to be honest if the game was buggy or not. Worst still is how people perfectly accept and embrace the fact that it's buggy and won't dare complain infront of Tripwire. I mean as a paying customer people should be fuming, instead "It keeps crashing, buggy as hell but still a great game". Game is poorly optimized, crashing bugs, broken cover and leveling system, outdated physics, servers bugged, some ranked servers are unranked.. you got the idea. An epic waste of money, should of used on horse racing bets instead that's all I can say.
    If you don't believe me then have a look for your self, visit the steam forums and so on. If you are still that desperate then wait a couple of months for some heavy patching and pray for modders to sort this mess out
  35. Sep 23, 2011
    Unplayable on a brand new rig. Freezes, no master servers founds, can't even play on low graphics much less anything high. Completely unplayable. And you shouldn't buy it unless you have a massive amount of time to donate to Technical support and Customer Service. They give you the run around.
  36. Sep 27, 2011
    Another 'run of the mill' 1st person shooter - This game feels like it is not fit for release and a poor beta at that. Looking at the overall effects and interaction it looks like something produced many years ago. Bug ridden and really should be avoided.
  37. Oct 20, 2011
    The game runs like complete garbage. I have a fairly up-to-date computer, and on any setting low to high, I get a large and dramatic drop to my fps. I even purchased a new video card, and I saw little improvement. The game is fun, but the performance issues make it nearly unplayable for all but the most patient and resolute gamer. Unless the performance issue is fixed (I suspect it won'tThe game runs like complete garbage. I have a fairly up-to-date computer, and on any setting low to high, I get a large and dramatic drop to my fps. I even purchased a new video card, and I saw little improvement. The game is fun, but the performance issues make it nearly unplayable for all but the most patient and resolute gamer. Unless the performance issue is fixed (I suspect it won't be), Tripwire will never get my money again. In fact, I wish I could get my 30 dollars back. I could have put it towards a game that actually runs like it's suppose to (Battlefield 3 here I come). Expand
  38. Oct 2, 2013
    The game was released a full year before it was ready.

You cant exit vehicles, and you spawn inside of them unlike the first game. Bug ridden mess and a unbalanced cash grab with overpowered guns. Only 2 new maps 2 years after release compared to RO1 which had a dozen new maps. No new vehicles or weapons added since release. You cant detach bayonet like the original. You level up
    The game was released a full year before it was ready.

You cant exit vehicles, and you spawn inside of them unlike the first game.

Bug ridden mess and a unbalanced cash grab with overpowered guns. Only 2 new maps 2 years after release compared to RO1 which had a dozen new maps. No new vehicles or weapons added since release. You cant detach bayonet like the original. You level up which increases your accuracy and resistance to suppresion effects. So much for hardcore realism. You use mouse to aim tank turret instead of keyboard. You use mouse to select voice commands instead of keyboard. Game only has handful of voice commands unlike the first game which had more than any other game ever made. Game is such a dissapointment. All the hardcore competitive players left after a few months. Game is full of noobs who level up against bots.

This game is the very definition of selling out and making a blatent cash grab. I will never buy another tripwire product again.
  39. Oct 12, 2011
    Horrible performance, horrible hit detection, horrible ping, no positional sound...and it's not by any definition realistic. Just a cumbersome and clunky interface that makes it a pain in the ass to play. The only positive I have to say about this game is that the maps are very well done. 3 points for that.
  40. Oct 25, 2011
    One of the most bug ridden games iv played this year. I gave it time and its still pretty bad. Oh well maybe they will have a finished product for me in a year.
  41. Sep 17, 2011
    It is in it's own class when it comes to historical accuracy. If the hitcode straight from the 90s doesn't impress you, the way the game runs like you are on a Pentium 2 certainly will. The game lags like you are back on a dial up modem praying nobody picks up the phone, and it crashes more often than Windows 95. I truly feel like I have gone back in time when I fire up Red Orchestra 2.It is in it's own class when it comes to historical accuracy. If the hitcode straight from the 90s doesn't impress you, the way the game runs like you are on a Pentium 2 certainly will. The game lags like you are back on a dial up modem praying nobody picks up the phone, and it crashes more often than Windows 95. I truly feel like I have gone back in time when I fire up Red Orchestra 2.

As far as WW2 accuracy it kind of fails, in that Germans are handed out extremely rare prototype weapons like candy, and all the maps favor that particular side. It's as if someone designing the game has struggled with their impartiality when they looked at the two warring nations. As if they wish history would rewrite itself based on what happens in a given game of RO2.

"Singleplayer" is just mindless bots and shouldn't exist. The game is half finished, if that, in just about any area. And most of all, it's just not fun. There isn't an endearing game underneath all the broken issues, just an uninspired semi realistic WW2 shooter. Any given multiplayer WW2 game outshines it in that department, and any realism shooter out-reals it.

Give this stinker a wide berth.
  42. Sep 14, 2011
    I'm sorry TWI, I have to be honest, this game is truly 6/10 and this is from a ROOST veteran.
    Here's the simple list:
    Here's the simple list:

-SinglePlayer is a joke, its just something they slap on the box. Although they claim they didn't. I'm calling it out. It's BOTS in MP maps. They are those generic go to point A and kill team B bots. A very simple script. If this is SP, I might as well start up Counter-Strike and add bots to the maps and call it a SP. This is a new LOW for developer. -Netcode & Bugs: Needless to say the bugs are still making the game painful to play sometimes. The game is playable but you'll scream at moments where your hit detection didn't read. -Poor customer support: Many player who bought the Deluxe Package did not receive it. These are player who give you $10 extra dollar for pretty much worthless item. The VIP to your game yet again...its a bug. There's no STICKY in the forums where they announce this. TWI your game is unpolished, better yet. Unfinished. You may be proud of your game, or how much you made. But I'am VERY disappointed. I thought a small DEV team like yourself pride yourself into a polish game that WON'T be release till its ready. It may not matter but you have LOST my fan base. I'm asking steam for a refund.
  43. Sep 14, 2011
    Really unstable, crashes, retarded bots, annoying design mistakes.

They should have rather delayed the release than release the beta as the full version. It is not even stable!
  44. Sep 16, 2011
    Major problems like CTDs, a broken server browser, low FPS and so on makes this nearly unplayable for me. Beta was just fine, I really don't knwo what happened to RO2 since release :(
  45. Oct 3, 2011
    I can deal with the bugs and endless hardware issues, because I know it can be solved.......Eventually.
    What I can not deal with, however, is the absolute disregard for what made RO popular in the first place.
    TWI have admitted they ARE trying to make a game more accessible, the reason being money, of course. But in the process of trying to make this game "More accessible" they've in fact made it f***ing terrible.
    Why?
    Well, there is nothing for the Cod and BF crowed here that Cod or Bf doesn't do better. And there is nothing for the old crowed that Project Reality or Arma doesn't do better. Ro2 is neither hardcore or arcade, it's neither, it is a jelly fish floating aimlessly in-between. The hardcore fans hate it because it's to arcade. And the arcade fans hate it because it's just a rubbish attempt at trying to be arcade. Ro2 is simply put, a disaster. The core dynamics of the game play contradict each other. Weapons are accurate out to infinite ranges, even if you are suppressed and/or have just sprinted 300 meters. Many a time I have pinned down a rifleman at short ranges with an MG only to have him quickly pop up and one shot me on the face. This leads me back to the point of Ro2 not being hardcore or arcade, they haven't tried to make the game either of the two, they've simply just put the game play features into one game. And it doesn't work AT ALL.
    The only thing from Ro1 that is still good in Ro2 is the name of the game. Nothing else. The large open maps from Ro1 we all came to love are gone, now, you are left with the same CQC urban cod fests, and it's pathetic. The sounds is terrible, rifles sound like pop guns and arty soungd like fire works, you can actually hear your own footsteps and breathing over and arty barrage. The graphics are meh, but who cares about them. Sorry TWI. This game is absolutely hopeless, I will wait for the modders to make something good out of it. Until then, enjoy your ruined credibility and learn from your mistakes. In the process of trying to make new fans, you lost all your old ones. Hope it was worth it.
  46. Sep 14, 2011
    Game feature breakdown: graphics that looked fab in 2003, crashes and game-breaking glitches, annoying features and bugs (killcam in a "realism" game, death zones instead of noclip or obstructing props, animation glitches, wallclip, one-key-does-all lea), dull, slow, boring campfest gameplay, horrible hit detection, actual bullet travel time on servers with ~100 ping, levelup/advancementGame feature breakdown: graphics that looked fab in 2003, crashes and game-breaking glitches, annoying features and bugs (killcam in a "realism" game, death zones instead of noclip or obstructing props, animation glitches, wallclip, one-key-does-all lea), dull, slow, boring campfest gameplay, horrible hit detection, actual bullet travel time on servers with ~100 ping, levelup/advancement xp/unlock system not working.

If I try hard enough I could go on, but I think by now you get the picture. Was supposed to be bloody brilliant, ended up a heap of compost! Skip this one!
  47. Jan 17, 2012
    TWI is amateurs. Making game, treating paid customers, they are low on budget, low on creative capacity.

1. poor performance heavily relying on CPU power solely. (if your cpu is lesser than i5 or i7, game breaking, annoying stuttering is inevitable. ) 2. TWI lacks experience in game designing, coding. ( They are just amateurs at best. ) 3. TWI fight against most legitimately

3. TWI fight against most legitimately criticizing core users even restricting posting anything and will even give you infraction notice for posting that doesn't even show up in their forum cos of their secretive censorship out of their "official policy" and out of logic. ( again, TWI is amateurs at best. ) 4. RO2 is not fun enough arcade shooter nor good enough tactical shooter.
    - This is the main reason most ro vets abandoned or criticise the game.

5. Initial 8,000? customers left within a month of release. Among them are ro vets/ tactical gamers.
    - It's not fun arcade shooter, not even good enough tactical shooter either.

Some ppl dyinghard to defend this awful game from general point of view would give this many 10s.
    I don't usually give any game unjustful score, and try to be fair, but TWI's reaction toward customers (this was actually my first pre ordered purchase.) I don't really think this game really deserves any of those high scores.

Just think about why this lost so many initial gamers in the first place and nowadays retains only 200-300 players worldwide at peak, answer is there.
  48. Sep 21, 2011
    This, ladies and gentleman, is a game with great scope and ambition. Intense realism, and the like, really add to the incredible atmosphere of Heroes of Stalingrad.

Tripwire Interactive, however, released a half finished game. I (as one of many) have been repeatedly blocked from registering on the official forums. Allegedly, it's because I'm a spammer. Nice way to treat your customers.

Tripwire Interactive, however, released a half finished game.

I (as one of many) have been repeatedly blocked from registering on the official forums. Allegedly, it's because I'm a spammer. Nice way to treat your customers. The technical support area is constantly having people blocked for doing nothing more than stating the truth; a forty dollar game is expected to be a finished game. Everyone can forgive a few bugs, but it goes to a whole new level. Also, many people purchased it on Steam and are (as usual) being denied refunds for a game that many cannot even launch. And that's not counting the fact that many are unable to play AND still having gig's upon gig's of updates thrown at them...just to have the game still not work.

The developers (and I'm using that term loosely) have a great game system...just let us know when it's anywhere's near actually playable for the rest of us.
  49. Oct 7, 2011
    I played and loved the original red orchestra but RO2 made me feel like I was back in 2001: the graphics and more importantly the UI are abysmal. The devs should really work the on the server browser and the team selection before this can be enjoyable to play.
  50. Oct 9, 2012
    I would have liked to give this more. But after more than a year since the release is still a buggy game. It needs a beast of a machine to run efficiently. I got that now, but still find far too many bugs: clipping bugs, graphics etc... Shame - the game has innovative parts, the developers seem to be involved. But still too buggy and not satisfying to play. Get your act together TripwireI would have liked to give this more. But after more than a year since the release is still a buggy game. It needs a beast of a machine to run efficiently. I got that now, but still find far too many bugs: clipping bugs, graphics etc... Shame - the game has innovative parts, the developers seem to be involved. But still too buggy and not satisfying to play. Get your act together Tripwire otherwise people will give up on you! Expand
  51. Nov 17, 2012
    One thought comes to my head when playing this game: made by amateurs. It feels like a sloppy console port using a dated graphics engine, even though it's a PC exclusive. The post-processing effects poorly hide the low textures by blurring the whole environment. It's so unconvincing. Single player is worthless and just plain unplayable. I can only ever find a couple of populated servers,One thought comes to my head when playing this game: made by amateurs. It feels like a sloppy console port using a dated graphics engine, even though it's a PC exclusive. The post-processing effects poorly hide the low textures by blurring the whole environment. It's so unconvincing. Single player is worthless and just plain unplayable. I can only ever find a couple of populated servers, with a large majority bots to substitute the empty slots. At least the game runs at a stable framerate online, but games like Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway look and run a whole heck of a lot better. The controls are so clunky compared to the original RO. Suppression effects are way too exaggerated in this game; in the original RO, the screen only flickers a little when a bullet whizzes by you. When you get suppressed in this game (which is all too often), the whole screen turns black and white, making it impossible to see anything. No one cooperates as a team because they're more concerned about getting kills and unlocking weapons than actually playing the objective. The maps in my opinion are too small... some more emphasis on vehicles like in the original RO would be much appreciated. Overall this game feels like another trashy, fast-paced console shooter. Expand
  52. Sep 14, 2011
    I preloaded Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad and waited until 24:00 so I could finally play it.
    Now I feel an idiot wasting my time waiting for a game like that.
    Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is a broken, buggy, unfinished game. And they decided to release it like that. First of all, the main problem: even with an high end CPU/GPU you won't be able to play it with decent
    Now I feel an idiot wasting my time waiting for a game like that.

First of all, the main problem: even with an high end CPU/GPU you won't be able to play it with decent performance.
    An example: I have an i860, HD5870, 8Gb of RAM. I'm forced to play it with medium/low video settings and with these settings I'm playing at 30-50 FPS. 30-50 FPS for a game that looks like a 6-8 years old game.

Even if you wanna play at 30 FPS a game that should run at 150 FPS there might be some other annoying problems.
    For example many users (Myself included) can't even load the servers list. The game makes your Internet crash for 3 minutes.

In-game stats are not working, so you are not gaining experience or any honor points.

People who bought the deluxe version (around 10$/6â
  53. Sep 14, 2011
    Sorry, I saw the youtube video where the CEO was hyping this game up and the gameplay looked fierce. This is the most slowed down FPS since their first release. There really needs to be a seperate category for games that are made like this on purpose. I can see comparing BF2 to CoD, and they are very different. But this game is a whole other genre that does NOT appeal to FPS lovers. TheSorry, I saw the youtube video where the CEO was hyping this game up and the gameplay looked fierce. This is the most slowed down FPS since their first release. There really needs to be a seperate category for games that are made like this on purpose. I can see comparing BF2 to CoD, and they are very different. But this game is a whole other genre that does NOT appeal to FPS lovers. The graphics are outdated and it was released as buggy as a game with the latest and greatest technology. Expand
  54. Nov 25, 2011
    This the most stupid game ever. There are Lots of stupid bugs. The single mission starts with stupid TRAINING Session, and beleive me passing this stage impossible. I just finished all the supid TRAINING seesions, even with stupid FIXED MACHINE GUN, the game doesn t finish. The stupid YELLOW Flashing turns on the STUPID fixing machine station with stupid GREEN Smoke or whatever, it stillThis the most stupid game ever. There are Lots of stupid bugs. The single mission starts with stupid TRAINING Session, and beleive me passing this stage impossible. I just finished all the supid TRAINING seesions, even with stupid FIXED MACHINE GUN, the game doesn t finish. The stupid YELLOW Flashing turns on the STUPID fixing machine station with stupid GREEN Smoke or whatever, it still syas the ''Press the Lcontrol to leave..`" but it doesnt do anything. I just bought this game via steam to play a WWII shouter, but this stupid problem just messed up my demands. I never and ever preferer this stupid game to anybody. It sucks Expand
  55. Dec 16, 2012
    Being a Red Orchestra: Ostfront 44 - 45 veteran I looked up to this game.

First, at the release it was a horrible and unfinished piece of **** Now in December (2012) it is still a horrible and unifnished piece of ****. This game lacks EVERYTHING that the first game had, EVERYTHING. Let me start off with my biggest irritation. The game feels empty, dull and uninspired. The maps
    Being a Red Orchestra: Ostfront 44 - 45 veteran I looked up to this game.

This game lacks EVERYTHING that the first game had, EVERYTHING.

Let me start off with my biggest irritation.

The game feels empty, dull and uninspired. The maps are always the same **** couple of buildings here and there. Random and unthought roads and cover here and there and they call it a map.

The gameplay consists of you running around just searching for the enemy and hoping to actualy find him, when you do you just shoot at eachother until the war is **** over. The maps and the gameplay are so dull I often play for 10 minutes and quit. It's just not enjoyable, it's so repative and boring .. And the better you are at the game the more boring it gets. Because once you actualy relize and get skilled, the game becomes of you shooting people like pigs without any resistance.

The classes that the game offers (Rifleman, Squad Leader) also feel like there is no difference or detail to them, it's just all about the weapon you get when you choose. NOTHING else.

The graphics are **** and the optimization is bad, this is primarely because they decided to use the HORRIBLE Unreal Engine. It instead became Blurred textures & Bloom: The Videogame.

This game lacks what WW2 shooters need. That is, big maps, slow gameplay and most important of all NOT DULL gameplay! RO2 does not offer any of this.

The game is really simple often divided into Objective A, B and C.

Soviets attack A B and C and the Wehrmacht defends A, B and C. This never stops and goes on for eternities until somebody wins, when they win there is a cheesy themesong playing with zero detail and feel to it. And you just feel like "Oh wow, it's finaly over"

Played this ****ty mess for 103 hours on Steam, I think I deserve the right to talk so bad about it. I've had it.

Tripwire Interactive has also attempted to attract more idiots to this game by making free weekends almost every month what it feels like, and constant discounts and sales. But it just isn't working.

The game is **** if you want a good WW2 game consider something else. RO: Ostfront and the mod Darkest Hour for it are 100 times better.

Good luck.
  56. Sep 14, 2011
    Poorly optimized. Fanboys are rating it a 10, when clearly it isn't even close for obvious reasons. Tripwire is a great developer, but even the greats make horrible games. In this case, there is potential, but currently the game is broken at best. Clearly Tripwire was in over there heads, and no amount of false 10 ratings here is going to save it from the truth, it is just plain bad. ThePoorly optimized. Fanboys are rating it a 10, when clearly it isn't even close for obvious reasons. Tripwire is a great developer, but even the greats make horrible games. In this case, there is potential, but currently the game is broken at best. Clearly Tripwire was in over there heads, and no amount of false 10 ratings here is going to save it from the truth, it is just plain bad. The graphics are ok, but shadows are yet to be optimized correctly. Physics are terrible, and dated. This is the Unreal 3 engine and, for whatever reason, they managed to fail on every level when it came to taking advantage of a proven engine. The sounds is great, but not a break-through in innovation and attention to detail. It is a World War II game, and it sounds like one, respectively.

The gameplay is as you would expect from a Red Orchestra game. The problem here is that Tripwire is attempting to implement features, such as a cover system, into the game that are simply broken and implemented incorrectly. It just looks out of place. Team work is limited, and unreliable. You simply can not expect everyone to be a mature adult when it comes to interacting with a simulation shooter.

The value is what I would include, to sum this up, as the compensating factor. Tripwire has promised free updates, and mod tool support. For this reason I see no way this game could completely fail. I would be hard pressed to say it can compete in the coming months with franchising giants like EA. Time will tell, and will be the ultimate saving grace for Red Orechestra 2. It is certainly not worth investing money into now.
  57. Sep 15, 2011
    Looking through the limited amount of Red Orchestra 2 reviews that can be found, you would think that this is a refreshing change from the usual run of the mill FPS fare. Tired of your Call of Duties? Had enough of Bad Company? If so then it's understandable that you're looking at purchasing RO2. But before you do, please consider this: No matter how good the core of a game is, if it's soLooking through the limited amount of Red Orchestra 2 reviews that can be found, you would think that this is a refreshing change from the usual run of the mill FPS fare. Tired of your Call of Duties? Had enough of Bad Company? If so then it's understandable that you're looking at purchasing RO2. But before you do, please consider this: No matter how good the core of a game is, if it's so buggy and clumsy that it makes it difficult for you to get any enjoyment out of playing it whatsoever, would you want to blow your hard earned readies on it? Probably not.

I shall explain. What drew me to Red Orchestra was the 'realism' tag that everyone associated with the game is tagging it with. It has a cover system, you can blind fire around corners, go prone, drive a tank with other people, kill people in one shot. In theory it sounds fantastic, but in practice it could not have been implemented any worse than it has been. The cover system is clunky and more often than not will actually aid your enemies in killing you. I spent hours wondering why as soon as I popped my head around a corner I would get shot by someone around the corner who could not have seen me unless he was endowed with x-ray vision. One of the biggest flaws is that of telling players apart. Fair enough, WW2 Russia was drab, burning buildings providing the only colour against a bleak, snowy landscape. But when you cannot tell your team mates apart, especially at a distance expect a lot of team kills (the decision not to include a visual tagging aid to distinguish who is who is baffling, realism or no). This in itself is poor, but when there is an option to punish accidental team killing implemented it further detracts from the game. It makes me wonder just how much thought went into the design process with silly mechanics such as this. Another thing that didn't help the games plight is the horrendous lag on the bigger battles. I play with a fast connection but every battle that was 45 players and over tended to chug badly. The pings shoot up and it makes it unplayable. This is a server issue and can be fixed, but it's still a drawing point of the game and it never should have rolled out with such an unnecessary issue.

In the grand scheme of gaming, I've always thought that graphics are just a frivolous extra that should never take precedent over gameplay, but the player animations are noticeably awful and again, this helps to ruin what could have been a very different experience. The are a few good points however. The wealth of class options is fantastic and really caters for everyone. Want to play an Anti-Tank gunner? How about a Squad Leader or Commander? Well go right ahead. In the bigger battles when/if they fix the server load issues it could make for an incredibly varied and tense battle. I also love the ability to play from inside a tank as a driver, gunner, or the machine gunner. The community appears passionate about the game which will help to convince Tripwire to rectify the bugs. I also enjoyed some of the neat little quirks, such as having to change your barrel as a machine gunner if it overheats too much.

Overall, in the state that it's currently in I would advise everyone to look elsewhere for their WW2 kicks. The game promises realism and yet delivers frustration in large quantities. I hope that Tripwire rectify some of the issues with the game as it has the potential to be great. But as of this moment in time I do not believe it should have left alpha testing.
  58. Sep 14, 2011
    I really cannot see the point of a beta if they don't learn from it. This is one of the only UE3 games to run so badly and I can understand for a beta but it should have been fixed for the final release. Everything feels so clunky from the movement to the buggy cover system and the whole greying out of the screen really seems inconsistent. The bandage system needed changing because itI really cannot see the point of a beta if they don't learn from it. This is one of the only UE3 games to run so badly and I can understand for a beta but it should have been fixed for the final release. Everything feels so clunky from the movement to the buggy cover system and the whole greying out of the screen really seems inconsistent. The bandage system needed changing because it doesn't reward team play what so ever, it just feels very pointless. All the servers seem to have crazy lag and poor hit detection so obviously something needs fixing there too. None of the stats work, like these basic things that you need to get right in the beta before you release the game!

I could see RO2 being really fun in the future but right now it's virtually unplayable and as a result gets a low score.
  59. Sep 14, 2011
    I was really hoping for this to be a ground breaking WWII shooter that I have been waiting for for years. I played the first RO and really enjoyed it. They did add a singleplayer campaign which was also something i was looking forward too, but it haste to be the WORST singpleplayer ever created. The AI is ridiculously stupid, teammates standing in front of your gun constantly, enemy AII was really hoping for this to be a ground breaking WWII shooter that I have been waiting for for years. I played the first RO and really enjoyed it. They did add a singleplayer campaign which was also something i was looking forward too, but it haste to be the WORST singpleplayer ever created. The AI is ridiculously stupid, teammates standing in front of your gun constantly, enemy AI that have dead on aiming and melee timing or just so dumb they cover in the window next to you. In essence the singleplayer is just the same old MP maps with stupid bots. For the time it took for them to make this game I thought the singleplayer would have characters ect that you see in most singleplayer FPSs. Also the single player bugs suck as planes hovering like helicopters and tanks easily getting stuck and this is bad because unlike the first RO you can bail out of the tank unless the tank or you dies. Bugs, bugs bugs, can't prone here.. can't deploy mgs in bunkers or dug outs or areas suited for good MG positions. The cover system is completely useless. Also if you are hit and need to bandage yourself your character decides to go into cover instead of bandaging leading to your bleed out death. They should have separated the, bandage, use and cover buttons I mean... come on. Also the gun sounds in RO1 were way better. The granades sound like exploding baby powder and some of the guns sound like they are on silencers Ex:KAR98. Also the reloading animations are off. You fire 1 shot and reload 2 bullets into the chamber? The real gold in the game in the Multiplayer which the Title is highly renown for. Stick with it, because the Singlepalyer in embarrassingly bad. I really wanted to love this game i really did but i just can't. Another flaw is that the weapons I spent $10 extra dollars for are not there on release like promised? That is insulting. RO1 1.0 played better then this crap. I am really pissed. Expand
  60. Sep 19, 2011
    If this game was released 10 years on ps2 it would get an 8 or 9. I wonder why they use these outdated engines, they can't look at the finished product and say this is just AWESOME. What a crappy game that I will never play again.
  61. May 25, 2012
    Really dissapointed with this game.

People in the community think that when we criticise this game is cause we are COD or Battlefield players which in my case is completely wrong. I come from Wolfentein: Enemy Territory series and I was looking for a game that made me had fun, trailers looked promising but after playing there's only one conclusion: This game is just boring as hell.
    Really dissapointed with this game.

This game is just boring as hell. Whether you are skilled or not it doesn't matter, most time of the map you will spend it just running around to get killed by a random guy camping or a bot (not much human players either, nothing strange either)

Graphics are nice, not outstanding but correct, atmosphere is good too. These is the only reason why I give it 2 points.

However, gameplay is incredibly boring, doesn't matter if you play the "action" mode or the "classic" mode, in both cases you will end up doing the same, running or dying or camping waiting to kill one or two enemies in 15 mins.

The maps are just too big and badly created, there are no short distance fights, just enormous buildings to walk around, sniper fights and boring boring walking.

Some blame the relase at beta stage as the main reason why this game was not succesful but this is wrong, just a few bugs and glitches would have ketp a big community waiting for the patches.

This game is just not fun to play and thats why the game dies day by day and the community gets smaller.

This game with the atmosphere had all the ingredientes to be an awesome arcade action game, sadly another WWII game to forgett.

Making a "realistic style" game as the fans claim doesnt mean making a boring game.

Developers should learn a bit from old action games. If there are only tanks and basicly infrantry fights... make action available in the game, it just feels so slow you sometimes forget you are supposed to be in a war inside the game.

As I said, really dissapointed with this game.
  62. Oct 18, 2011
    decent game if you like running around with crappy camera control and dying constantly. I mean, the camera seems to be your head.. that means.. if you look to your left.. it wil from then feel like you're running sidewards with your head over your left shoulder, no longer seeing your gun, or having any control. DO NOT MAKE SUCH SUCKY MISTAKES! Seriously, keep the POV static, IF NOT,decent game if you like running around with crappy camera control and dying constantly. I mean, the camera seems to be your head.. that means.. if you look to your left.. it wil from then feel like you're running sidewards with your head over your left shoulder, no longer seeing your gun, or having any control. DO NOT MAKE SUCH SUCKY MISTAKES! Seriously, keep the POV static, IF NOT, atleast make it so that you can CONTROL the POV, and not so that it randomly places your head in a strange, usually doomed to fail position. This game can choke on a c###. Twice. Expand
  63. Sep 27, 2011
    Sorry but this one of the worst games I've played in a long time. If it doesn't crash, lock up, or lag, then you're stuck with "elite" campers or spray-n-pray lone gunners. I seriously wasted 40.00 on this crap which, when you get tired of the multi player garbage, offers nothing more than a useless single player "campaign" which just consists of useless bots which TWI stated would NOTSorry but this one of the worst games I've played in a long time. If it doesn't crash, lock up, or lag, then you're stuck with "elite" campers or spray-n-pray lone gunners. I seriously wasted 40.00 on this crap which, when you get tired of the multi player garbage, offers nothing more than a useless single player "campaign" which just consists of useless bots which TWI stated would NOT make up the single player portion of this game. I've never seen a more horrid use of AI than RO2 "offers". Tripwire tripped up on this one, I won't be trusting any more of their interviews, previews, or reviews ever again since they have a problem delivering what they promise. Expand
  64. Sep 14, 2011
    What good can I say about this game? Very little maybe its fairly good gun models but nothing else. Artificial Intelligence is on the level of first Battlefield, enemy tends to fall into obstacles unable to omit them, can be blind when 'ambush' them from their 3rd o'clock LoS, friendlies run endlessly towards the enemy and back(just like having to do business in a toilet but just afterWhat good can I say about this game? Very little maybe its fairly good gun models but nothing else. Artificial Intelligence is on the level of first Battlefield, enemy tends to fall into obstacles unable to omit them, can be blind when 'ambush' them from their 3rd o'clock LoS, friendlies run endlessly towards the enemy and back(just like having to do business in a toilet but just after goes back). What is more in SP battles looks identically as in BF1942, no tactics just rush on enemy positions. OK let's leave AI and focus on other things, for example terrain graphics, how awful they are. Anyone should see training and environment so old school but in wrong meaning of it like from an average game dating back to 2007-2008. Playing this game can lead to frustration when you cannot crouch in the open field, different action are associated with a single key thus causing you unable to perform desired action as it is usually the other one game unintended to perform. Its hard to say what took devs additional 14 days of polishing their product? Maybe it was even more crappier than 'release' product, or we are playing just paid beta, while devs are fixing errors? All faith is left for MP after few patches concerning on gameplay problems cause graphics won't be changed and SP will remain some kind of reincarnation of BF1942-style-crappy-ai. If someone is challenging whether to buy or not this product for SP I would not recommend to do it, for MP it could be playable but not now and buyer should wait for few weeks after mayor patch introduction or after certain bargain. Not recommended.

PS: I bought this product mainly for SP cause I don't have time for dozens of multiplayer matches thus score corresponds to 90% SP and 10% MP play. For standalone SP I would give 1.0 (BF1942 replay after 10 years) and for MP 6.0 so after quick counting its 1.5 - still 1.
  65. May 1, 2013
    I'm sorry but this is a pathetic excuse for a game.I am a huge fanatic of WW2 games and this is a disgrace to the sub-genre.I mean its not even bloody playable i got killed through concrete walls and at times i just randomly fall over and die.The multiplayer is just as big of a pile of as the campaign,when you're lucky enough to get into a game you either fall through the ground or getI'm sorry but this is a pathetic excuse for a game.I am a huge fanatic of WW2 games and this is a disgrace to the sub-genre.I mean its not even bloody playable i got killed through concrete walls and at times i just randomly fall over and die.The multiplayer is just as big of a pile of as the campaign,when you're lucky enough to get into a game you either fall through the ground or get disconnected. Expand
  66. Apr 30, 2012
    Sorry to say bud fail game ply graphics are oke bud that its just unplayable for pc to many bugs and stupid ai running back and forward and manny bugs even the music cant be turn oof it keeps comming back i like old school call of duty simply and effective
  67. Apr 6, 2013
    I tried it on the free week on steam.-_-. worst game ever in my library...There can only one sniper in each team, why? My grandmother throws bigger than these soldiers in the game
  68. Sep 29, 2012
    I've tried to like this game, but I'll be perfectly honest -- it's just total ****

Clunky unresponsive gameplay combined with lacklustre map design and juvenile community make this not even worth your time. Let's not forget that the game is tailor made for campers, you can't even get close to the enemy without being picked off by a MG gunner or some nitwit hiding goodness knows where. Wait.. the game is meant to be fun? Nope. Not a chance. Realistic? Well, this is the one aspect that is advertised of the game and to be honest whatever attempt by the developers to conform the game to reality ruins the game even further. I mean the stamina when you sprint is just atrocious, guns are a jumbling mess and.. well.. let's just forget the tank sim tacked onto the game. Atrocious. 2/10
  69. Mar 7, 2013
    This game is horrible. I was expecting a single player storyline and gameplay similar to good old Call of Duty 2. Turns out you have to capture controlpoints nodes like Battlefield 1942. Even in single player. Gameplay is clunky and not refined. The enemy AI can see you through anything(foliage, desbris) so you keep getting shot even when you think you're in cover. It takes just as muchThis game is horrible. I was expecting a single player storyline and gameplay similar to good old Call of Duty 2. Turns out you have to capture controlpoints nodes like Battlefield 1942. Even in single player. Gameplay is clunky and not refined. The enemy AI can see you through anything(foliage, desbris) so you keep getting shot even when you think you're in cover. It takes just as much space on your HD as other NextGen games do. But it looks and acts like a game desiged 9 years ago. Oh! and its crashes often! Expand
  70. May 19, 2013
    I USED to love this game. However, recently, I have started having connection issues where it says "connecting..." on every single server. On top of that, the game IS a glitch filled mess. The only reason I even liked it is because I got it for 5 dollars on a steam sale, or so I see that now. Stay away from this bug filled piece of useless crap. The only thing that awaits you isI USED to love this game. However, recently, I have started having connection issues where it says "connecting..." on every single server. On top of that, the game IS a glitch filled mess. The only reason I even liked it is because I got it for 5 dollars on a steam sale, or so I see that now. Stay away from this bug filled piece of useless crap. The only thing that awaits you is glitches, troubleshooting, and maybe, MAYBE the occasional fun map. Expand
  71. Sep 1, 2013
    Two years after release this game is still filled with bugs and glitches. Tripwire has continually shown they don't care at all about fixing the problems with this game and instead want to add new content that you have to pay for (Rising storm). The campaign is the single most broken and worthless singleplayer experience I've ever had in a FPS. Framerate stutters, the AI runs aroundTwo years after release this game is still filled with bugs and glitches. Tripwire has continually shown they don't care at all about fixing the problems with this game and instead want to add new content that you have to pay for (Rising storm). The campaign is the single most broken and worthless singleplayer experience I've ever had in a FPS. Framerate stutters, the AI runs around aimlessly, enemies spawn next to you, it's so dumb and not fun at all. In multiplayer you simply camp in one spot and wait for someone to walk in front of you so you can kill with with all the skill that is required in that. Basically it's, camp, camp, camp, kill someone who was stupid enough to not camp, camp, camp, camp, repeat over, and over, and over. It's so mind-bogglingly boring and skill-less. After 40 hours spent in this game over the course of a couple months I have given up. There is no hope for it anymore. Stay away. Expand
  72. May 19, 2014
    Only 2 tanks and small maps.RO1 was better fun and lots more tanks.Tripwire told us they would be adding more tanks and to this day they have lied and added no new tanks
  73. Apr 27, 2014
    Given the history and wealth of shooting games that have preceded this title I can confidently state that this game is a pile of ****

Movement is wooden and jerky. Shooting is cumbersome and laboured. I could go on but its not worth the effort. Another **** game that looks like it was created by a group of six year olds adept in gaming software. Everyone is making games these

Movement is wooden and jerky.

Shooting is cumbersome and laboured.

I could go on but its not worth the effort.

Another **** game that looks like it was created by a group of six year olds adept in gaming software. Everyone is making games these days (hence Steam being overrun with early release **** - everyone and their dog are at it *ahem* making games ofc *cough*. But it seems very few actually know what a good game is these days, a case of if you throw enough **** at a wall some will eventually stick. Also because practically every level of promotion and release publications are controlled it is very hard to know what a good review is. Standards are, on the whole, dropping.

Bin this **** but then again since most people don't seem to know what a good game is I could perhaps be in the minority.
  74. Jun 5, 2013
    You'd better get Invasion 1944 mod for Arma 2: Combined Operations. It has everything RO2 does not great scale, realistic tracked vehicles with appropriate armor damage system, great ballistics, nice maps, planes (civ and combat), gliders and so on. Everything for FREE.
  75. Feb 20, 2014
    TWI abandoned the RO1 formula/spirit in favor of more mainstream gameplay elements, resulting in a CoD5:WaW clone.

''Realism'' mode is in fact action mode without crosshairs. Some maps are pretty good, but they all lack in size. It's all a 64 player meatgrind fest. You cant flank on a full server. The maps are that small. Mindless push and pull, no tactics involved. And the

''Realism'' mode is in fact action mode without crosshairs.

And the vehicles TWI promised it's community 2,5 years ago? Nothing. Still in beta. ''Soon'' means 2,5 years.
    TWI loves to take years to fix gamebreaking bugs, too. Mapclipping (exploits) and MG-clipping (invulnerable MG guns) were in the game for years.

There is a reason why there is NO competitive scene whatsoever within RO2.
  76. Mar 10, 2014
    It's a good game, if you have a lot of patience ... I tried hard to like this game for so long, but it's very difficult. It had a very rocky release, full of bugs, and it took over a year to fix a lot of them. Some are still there and annoying. Lack of new content really lets the game down, nothing new for a long time (that is free anyway).

This developer built its reputation on giving

This developer built its reputation on giving lots of free content to support the game - to date, all we have had from them is 2 new maps and 2 new weapons. Pre-release, the developers promised 4 new tanks in the first content patch, now, 2.5 years later, we are still waiting.

It's realistic and gritty enough, but they also went the mainstream way and added a level-up system and you get weapon upgrades and stat boosts ... so you have to decide how realistic that is. (Interesting paradox of this: you need to be level 25 to get a bayonet on your rifle, BUT a total noob can immediately grab a very important role such as Commander and ruin everybody's fun by not knowing what to do ...)

ROOST was a classic game, but this falls very short of that, and the lack of new content is really frustrating, the game had so much potential.
  77. Sep 27, 2014
    The idea of the game is great.
    The weapons look and feel fantastic.
    So do explosions. The sounds and spectacular and the maps LOOK awesome. Too bad the maps are too small for 64p. Too badly designed for a flanking / camping style gameplay and theres too few of them so they get boring in a week. Would be great with more and BIGGER more versatile maps. Either the maps are too
    The idea of the game is great.
    The weapons look and feel fantastic.
    So do explosions.
    The sounds and spectacular
    and the maps LOOK awesome.

Too bad the maps are too small for 64p.
    Too badly designed for a flanking / camping style gameplay
    and theres too few of them so they get boring in a week.

Would be great with more and BIGGER more versatile maps. Either the maps are too open, or just a campfest. You CAN NOT run across 50 meters of open space without getting shot 7 times. This requires trenches, denser forest, more buildings to enter.. but none of the maps give this

1. Nov 27, 2011
    The basic fact is that Red Orchestra 2 spoils you. Playing any other shooter, especially one that claims to be realistic, after going through a few rounds in RO2 is bound to be a disappointment.
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    The multiplayer of Red Orchestra 2 offers various interesting debate points about the realistic online shooter breed: praised by many, played by few. Forgetting some bugs and the (hopefully) soon to be addressed performance hiccups, Red Orchestra 2 is definitely an entertaining product that, online-wise, will guarantee months of brutal fun.
    If you think both Battlefield and Call of Duty are too exaggerated and unrealistic, and feel Counter-Strike is too soft, Red Orchestra 2 might be the game for you. It doesn't appeal to us, though.