Republic: The Revolution PC

8.2

1. FelixD.
    Aug 5, 2004
    I want to believe that republic: the revoultion can be fun, however, i have had the game for a few days now and i still have very little idea of what i am supposed to be doing or how to achieve the seemingly simple goals, even after reading the manual and in game help bumpf. A fairly painful experience, even for the paltry sum of 9.99. I want my money back.
  2. Drew
    Sep 10, 2003
    This game is so fun because it is so customizeable. Although a multiplayer feature would make this even better.
  3. NicholasD.
    Sep 20, 2003
    Ultimately little more than a glorified board game - but a good board game. The 3D engine is redundant, which is a shame, since it's the only thing remotely "revolutionary" about the game. Still, it's a challenge, and seems to be bug free.
    Sep 5, 2003
    A classic in the political strategy genre.
  5. Mark
    Jan 31, 2005
    I think that the 3D interface is entirely unnecessary and slows the game down. A strategy game designed in 2002 should not require 256-512 MB of memory. I have 768 MB and more than double the processor speed than recommended, but the game still runs slowly (at least the 3D parts of it). It all looks pretty nice, although not as nice as Mafia, for example, and the cutscenes and I think that the 3D interface is entirely unnecessary and slows the game down. A strategy game designed in 2002 should not require 256-512 MB of memory. I have 768 MB and more than double the processor speed than recommended, but the game still runs slowly (at least the 3D parts of it). It all looks pretty nice, although not as nice as Mafia, for example, and the cutscenes and conversation dialogues get old quickly once the novelty wears off. This is unfortunate, because the heart of the game is played in 2D and takes a unique approach to strategy gaming. Unlike other reviewers, I enjoyed the plot of the game and didn't feel restricted by the mission-based structure. Whereas the missions might make the game feel linear, the strategy makes Republic far more open-ended than on first glance, while also moving the story along. Republic could have benefitted from a patch or a tweak to the graphics engine (such as fog or limiting the view distance) to make the game more playable on most systems. It is regrettable that I cannot rate this higher than 7-- it could have easily been an outstanding strategy masterpiece. Expand
  6. RogerM.
    Aug 30, 2003
    Picked this up today, great game for strategy gamers.
  7. JohndeS.
    Sep 17, 2003
    Key sentence: PATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the talking is in russian, which I can live with.But my game crashes A LOT. I have a 2.5 GHz Geforce4 and plenty of space etc. etc. but it keeps crashing ...
  8. EdlismangeD.
    Aug 14, 2006
    When I originally bought this game when it first came out, I couln't get into it due to the steep learning curve. However, after taking the time to figure it out recently, I discovered that it is a very rewarding game. When you pull off a public stunt that gains you respect, it feels great. It's also really tempting to be really evil. There are problems; the manual is When I originally bought this game when it first came out, I couln't get into it due to the steep learning curve. However, after taking the time to figure it out recently, I discovered that it is a very rewarding game. When you pull off a public stunt that gains you respect, it feels great. It's also really tempting to be really evil. There are problems; the manual is unforgiving, and the 3d engine is underused, but if one can forget those downfalls, they would discover a unique gem here. Expand
  9. luigi
    Nov 2, 2007
    appassionante la storia, soprattutto per i più incalliti sostenitori dei giochi di strategia storico-politica anche se riesce ad attirare anche i giocatori neutrali grazie alla giocabilità ed alla varietà di azioni disponibili (di tutti i tipi).
    Le musiche sono straordinarie ed emozionanti.
    L'unico neo è la grafica ed i movimenti dei personaggi, a tratti
    Le musiche sono straordinarie ed emozionanti.
    L'unico neo è la grafica ed i movimenti dei personaggi, a tratti eccessivamente lento e statico
  10. Sims
    Nov 16, 2003
    It's a unique game!
  11. Sims
    Nov 16, 2003
    It's a unique game!

The best advice I can give anyone playing this game is to keep the poorly written manual close at hand, because you'll be referring to it frequently. In fact, I can easily say that this game is almost impossible to play well without it.
  2. It just seems that the team spent a lot more time coming up with ideas for the game than they did executing them properly. [Dec 2003, p.183]
    What frustrated us most about Republic is that we can see a hint of greatness. We saw many ways to influence the game, but they're all reigned in by the mission design. In its current state Republic: The Revolution plays more like a failed coup.