7.8

1. Apr 22, 2014
    The game is simply endless levels of bad guys coming at you that require shooting to death, or in some cases karate kicking or blowing up. The story is clichéd drivel, involving the Illuminati (Los Illuminados) and some zombie type infection-plague, with occasional references to Umbrella. I know this is considered a great classic, but playing for the first time in 2014, it takes a while toThe game is simply endless levels of bad guys coming at you that require shooting to death, or in some cases karate kicking or blowing up. The story is clichéd drivel, involving the Illuminati (Los Illuminados) and some zombie type infection-plague, with occasional references to Umbrella. I know this is considered a great classic, but playing for the first time in 2014, it takes a while to get used to. The controls and over-shoulder camera view are not very satisfying. Effectively the game is just about grinding and blasting your way from one environment to the next, in the search of an important young woman who has been kidnapped by some shady people – comical villains really. There are some puzzles along the way, but the boss fights are more challenging … According to my Steam stats I killed almost 900 enemies and it took over 16 hours to complete. That’s a lot of shooting. I may be in the minority here, but I actually remember enjoying RE5 more than this one. That being said, the game provides incredibly good value for money. According to my calculations each enemy I killed cost me 1.7p, based on 886 enemies taken care of, from an outlay of £15. I also died 92 times, apparently, so that’s 16p per death!
    Some comments on the port – I have never seen the original version or the previous PC version/s, so cannot compare. Yes I experienced a few annoyances, not just related to the controls. However, I never had any issues that impacted on my game experience other than a serious slow-down in FPS that happened sporadically. If we had better viewing angles and camera controls, this would have made a big difference.
  2. Sep 15, 2015
    One of the greatest Resident Evil games ever made made even better. Although more love and attention could have been given to improving the textures and character models, the fundamental game still looks, and plays, great.
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    I was debating getting this on Steam, and I am glad I did. Controls a little clunky at first, but got used to it pretty quickly - just a fun game, has to be one of my top ten favs. If you liked this game on other systems, you won't be disappointed - well worth $20.
  4. Nov 1, 2015
    I played the original Resident Evil on PS1 and loved it. Briefly messed with RE5 on the 360 before getting in to PC gaming. So Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition is the first RE game I've truly played since the original. I cannot believe both that I haven't come back to the franchise sooner and that I missed this game until now. I can fully appreciate why many say it's one of theI played the original Resident Evil on PS1 and loved it. Briefly messed with RE5 on the 360 before getting in to PC gaming. So Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition is the first RE game I've truly played since the original. I cannot believe both that I haven't come back to the franchise sooner and that I missed this game until now. I can fully appreciate why many say it's one of the greatest games of all-time. An awesome, highly immersive experience with graphics that are slightly dated but have still look great (particularly with the HD re-touch). Expand
  5. Jul 2, 2014
    I'm a fan of the old Ones, and yes this is different but it is AWESOME the last good RE.

everything is good on this game !

Multiple storylines (games), I love it !
  6. Mar 19, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game .best story and grate gameplay sounds and graphic!!!!!!!!! This game best enjoy on pc.good luck capcom and thanks for remaster this game Expand
  7. Mar 22, 2014
    The best Resident Evil gets a Remake in a franchise that has since lost its way.

Resident Evil has been trying many things but this is the first attempt away from the original games 1,2 and 3 where the camera and combat was all constrained and fixed. Resident Evil 4 is the best because combat is fluid and dynamic, characters and set pieces are worked well and story is well written. HD release looks good as well and considering how bad the PC port of this game was it was pretty easy to top that. Whatever happens to the series we hope that it tries this once again and not the way they did with Resident Evil 6......

Please note this was done on a 1-5 cell processor at 3.1ghz with a 7k Radeon series video card if you have this spec or better it will run with no issues.
  8. Mar 4, 2014
    Finalmente tenemos un port digno para nuestra plataforma PC de este juegazo que ha día de hoy sigue impresionándome. Esta nueva versión HD ultimate edition tiene mejoras sustanciales en las texturas y resolución a mas de 1080p, 60fps, desenfoque de movimiento, AA y unos filtros para cambiar las paletas de colores al juego, y lo mejor que finalmente tiene soporte para ratón aunque no esFinalmente tenemos un port digno para nuestra plataforma PC de este juegazo que ha día de hoy sigue impresionándome. Esta nueva versión HD ultimate edition tiene mejoras sustanciales en las texturas y resolución a mas de 1080p, 60fps, desenfoque de movimiento, AA y unos filtros para cambiar las paletas de colores al juego, y lo mejor que finalmente tiene soporte para ratón aunque no es perfecto pero es jugable solo hay que acostumbrarse, en mi caso personal ya me lo paso de mantequilla con teclado y ratón pero si seria bueno una mejora, que estaré al tanto de nuevos parches para corregirlo un poco, que ha propósito de otros fallos este puerto tiene un problema de lag cuando se ejecuta a 60fps que es injugable pero poniéndolo a 30 ya es mucho mas jugable aunque a veces se le siente el lag pero es jugable. así que a la espera de que Capcom corrija la optimización del juego y ajustar un poco mejor el ratón. Lo demás es total satisfacción supera mis expectativas, gráficamente se ve superior a las versión de GC/Wii y mucho mas que la aberración del puerto original de PC que no quiero recordarlo jamás. Algunos dirán que con mods se arregla y se ve mejor que esta nueva edition, lastimosamente para mi sigue siendo una infamia, con mods y todo no deja de ser un insulto y fuera de que sigue con la ausencia del ratón y cuando una vez quería jugarlo otra vez era inestable con las nuevas versiones de Windows que en ese caso la comunidad no puede arreglar. Conclusión recomendado para aquellos que quieran revivir la experiencia inolvidable de Resident Evil 4 en HD o como quieran llamarlo se siente como un juego nuevo y es innegable la calidad que tiene este titulo en todos los aspecto, ha día de hoy sigue impresionándome lo bien que se ve gráficamente hablando. Expand
  9. Mar 2, 2014
    Arguably the best Resident Evil game made so far brought to Steam with Achievements, high defiition textures and the same ass-kicking factor as the game had on its release for only 20 god damn dollars? I say hell **** yes.
  10. Feb 28, 2014
    As a previous reviewer has mentioned, not much needs to be said about Resident Evil 4 itself. To me RE4, although a signal of a complete change in Resident Evil, is simply one of the best survival horror games there is.

The previous PC port however, many would say, is one of the worst examples of PC port there is. So has Resident Evil 4 suffered another injustice with the Ultimate HD

So has Resident Evil 4 suffered another injustice with the Ultimate HD edition, or has it finally been presented the way it deserves?

Well for starters the game looks and feels much more like a Resident Evil game - when i look back at Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 one of the first things that comes to mind is the fantastic atmosphere that was set in the game. I didn't get that same feeling with the original RE4 port - the graphics were blurry, bland and fuzzy and the lighting didn't help either. This version certainly, in most ways, successfully remedies that and makes the games atmosphere much more imposing. Not to mention that everything simply looks much more vivid and smooth. It's not up to scratch against the visuals of much more recent games of course, but it is a huge improvement over the previous offering. The smooth (in my experience) 60fps performance definitely changes the way the game feels too, especially in combat. These encounters just feel more fast paced and it certainly increases the tension as well as making the game look better. You can also now change the graphics settings to meet your own preferences.

Does anything ruin all of this? Well for, for me, the "mouse support" is a big disappointment. You seem to only be able to use the mouse to look (although you are able to ready, aim and shoot using the mouse) not to turn, it often leads to the camera not moving in motion with you, but worse it means that you still turn slowly (although you can easily do a 180 using the keyboard) and doesn't bring the quickness and accuracy that, to me, is the whole point of bringing mouse support to the game. If you're using an Xbox 360 controller this won't bother you - but even when using this the controls still seem somewhat stiff and clumsy - it seems they didn't work much on this area at all.

To summarise, the improvement in graphics and performance this updated version brings are very welcome and is closer to what this legendary game deserves. But if you were hoping for an improvement in the controls you may be disappointed.
  11. Mar 4, 2014
    This will always be the best game ever, there isn't really much else to say. The graphics are starting to show their age, but what do you expect for 8 years.
  12. Feb 28, 2014
    I don't need to discuss Resident Evil 4's gameplay or story or anything else. We all know this song an dance by now. Suffice to say, if this were a good port, the game would be getting perfect scores. But it isn't, and here's why:

Capcom apparently was convinced that the only reason PC gamers disliked the original port of Resident Evil 4, was the poor graphics. So they went hard at work - and by hard at work I mean they if they had nothing better to do and could be arsed - updating the graphics of Resident Evil 4 from the poorly done graphics of 2004 to the cutting edge graphics of 2006. They spent the next few months leading up to release showing off their 1080p resolution and 60fps framerate. And nothing else. The question arose: What is it they don't want you to see? The answer encompasses just about everything else: a barebones unoptimized port with poor controls, limited graphical options, and a plague of bugs that will almost certainly be overlooked by the inevitable day-one patch. So simply put, RE4UHDE is only marginally better than the original 2007 release, and on the same level as the 2012 Dark Souls PC release - which may I point out, at least From Software had the excuse of having no experience working with PC gaming. Capcom has no excuse beyond their own incompetence.

But it looks pretty so I guess they're absolved of blame or something.
  13. Mar 1, 2014
    It isn't worse! I just think Capcom and I have very different ideas of what a "re-texture" is. It looks like it's running through a dolphin emulator! I barely see any updates in the graphics besides a higher resolution. The mouse aiming is not 1 to 1, raw mouse input; your mouse is emulating a joystick. You are at the mercy of your sensitivity settings. this isn't news to a console gamer,It isn't worse! I just think Capcom and I have very different ideas of what a "re-texture" is. It looks like it's running through a dolphin emulator! I barely see any updates in the graphics besides a higher resolution. The mouse aiming is not 1 to 1, raw mouse input; your mouse is emulating a joystick. You are at the mercy of your sensitivity settings. this isn't news to a console gamer, but when your mouse is off the desk before you were able to turn as much as you wanted . . . not a good thing. Don't even get me started on user interface and keyboard-only menu navigation - "backspace," "delete" & "Page down" is how they want you to arrange your suitcase (which they don't tell you) out of ALL the keys on a keyboard. Why not just use the keys I've BEEN using? Expand
  14. Mar 3, 2014
    Yahoo! I've been waiting for RE4 to come to the Xbox 360. I have it on the WI but that controller/numchuck combo is a pain to use. The level in RE4 where you fight the zombie with the white spots you have to shoot in the lab is still the scariest moment in gaming history, IMO.
  15. Mar 2, 2014
    Apologized for my bad English but man, I hate this port so much (just like the 2007 port). First, 60 fps is a Joke, it bug as hell and auto slow down your game. Second, the control with mouse and keyboard is stupid, when you reload ammo you need to Aim first then press R, why don't just press R like in Resident Evil 5, and when you use the knife you can control the camera with keyboard butApologized for my bad English but man, I hate this port so much (just like the 2007 port). First, 60 fps is a Joke, it bug as hell and auto slow down your game. Second, the control with mouse and keyboard is stupid, when you reload ammo you need to Aim first then press R, why don't just press R like in Resident Evil 5, and when you use the knife you can control the camera with keyboard but with mouse, and the camera is always auto turn around like f*cking annoying. Third, the HD texture is not good for me, the color is 16bit, graphic overal suck but you know what, it require a super PC that can handle Farcry 3 (max setting) to run this game at 60fps (not always stable). And last is the cutscenes, it good to know that this time they know how make cutscence that really is in-game graphic, not clip, yeah, I was exciting at first, but then when i saw the opening and the seperate ways cutscenes, I know I was wrong, cause it still use the PS2 clips with res 518*336, no AA and color is 8bit. Overal, this is a big disapointed for me, but for anyone else who ever play this, it will be a good memory. Expand
  16. Mar 27, 2014
    This is another **** port. Fps always drop at crucial moments leaving you with massive input lag leading to many cheap deaths. This is some B.S , be ashamed crapcom.
  17. Mar 2, 2014
    This is a good HD Edition game. In true fact: It uses Wii/PS3/Xbox360 edition version. Gameplay is same but graphics are totally different and nice. But the only program is that, they sometimes cause graphical issues and some cutscenes still use the old crappy PC version.
  18. Oct 7, 2015
    Another crappy port. They didnt learn much from the first pc port. The game itself is good. It does have flaws.
    But what kills this is its not made for the pc in mind. Not to mention the crashes even on the 1.06 version. And im sure they will never fix it.
  19. Mar 14, 2014
    Wonderful game. However, it crashes so often that it's almost unplayable - I've attempted all possible graphics settings to no avail. None of the support links work - I get redirected to a Ubisoft (who produced this game) page that no doesn't exist. If they fix the many, many bugs I'll give this a good review. As of now, I'm angry that I spent $20 on an unplayable game.
  20. Apr 17, 2014
    Menus still suck, bad aspect ratio, controls on the gamepad are illogical. Game might have a good story and such but it's barely playable. All other recent RE games are much better.
  21. Jun 8, 2014
    The game is fun but the controls are just awful. This game was released in 2005 for PC, right? Well, there is simply no excuse for the awkward control system, none.
  22. Jun 22, 2015
    The game looks very nice and interesting, but the controls just killed it for me. The mouse is terrible and you can't control the character right. It's another disappointing ps remake...
  23. Jul 31, 2015
    Non è esattamente ciò che mi aspettavo. Non avendo mai giocato a nessun Resident Evil, pensavo si trattasse di un gioco ricco di atmosfera e che facesse abbastanza paura, o comunque che fosse un gioco ricco di suspense (ho giocato poco, è vero, ma ho già beccato i primi 2 o 3 """colpi di scena""" che avrebbero dovuto farmi paura o avrebbero dovuto stupirmi, ma vuoi l'audio vuoi leNon è esattamente ciò che mi aspettavo. Non avendo mai giocato a nessun Resident Evil, pensavo si trattasse di un gioco ricco di atmosfera e che facesse abbastanza paura, o comunque che fosse un gioco ricco di suspense (ho giocato poco, è vero, ma ho già beccato i primi 2 o 3 """colpi di scena""" che avrebbero dovuto farmi paura o avrebbero dovuto stupirmi, ma vuoi l'audio vuoi le animazioni e soprattutto i versi dei personaggi che sembrano frasi in spagnolo ripetute all'infinito sempre uguali identiche, nah). Questo gioco invece è più uno splatterone abbastanza ignorante, con un fight system anche simpatico. Non sarebbe niente male comunque, se questa versione per PC uscita nel 2014 fosse ... una versione PC degna del 2014. La telecamera è orribile, è fissa e NON si può muovere il personaggio e allo stesso tempo muovere la telecamera (cosa che secondo me è essenziale in questo gioco). Il sistema di mira è scadente, non è sempre facile mirare correttamente e si sbaglia spesso, non è centrato. Per cambiare l'arma occorre accedere al'inventario! Si avete letto bene, occorre premere TAB, selezionare l'arma, premere E, premere EQUIPAGGIA e riperemere TAB! Che bello! Considerato quanto spesso torna utile cambiare arma fare questa cosa 50 volte a sessione di gioco è stupido e ridicolo. Non si può regolare il field of view, che è bassissimo. Non si può giocare in prima persona. Non puoi schivare. Muoversi in battaglia è un'agonia, è scomodo. La UI è brutta persino per un gioco della sua età, potevano benissimo rimpicciolire le scritte e renderla al "passo coi tempi". Navigare nel menù è scomodo. Praticamente fare ogni cosa in questo gioco va da "un pochetto scomodo" a "mamma miaaaaa". Sconsigliata questa versione. Forse su PS2 o Gamecube nel 2005 meritava, anzi, effettivamente capisco il successo che ebbe 10 anni fa. Ma se mi riproponete una versione HD nel 2014, su PC, a pagamento, fatela per bene Cristo. Expand
  24. Oct 30, 2014
    This is a port of a game from the xbox 360
    the options menu is terrible not supporting most 16:9 resoloutions and barely anything of substance.
    its not optimized for anything but high end nvidia cards. I have a amd 7480D gpu and a amd A4-5300B so i can barely play a game that honestly looks like crap at 15 frames on a good pc that can run skyrim 30 fps on high. This is better then the
    This is a port of a game from the xbox 360
    its not optimized for anything but high end nvidia cards.
    This is better then the prevouis port but this is still a crap port.
  25. Mar 23, 2016
    I really don't understand what makes this game special for so many people. To me, it marks the point where resident evil starts going downhill, it's no longer about clever puzzles and being low on health and ammo and feeling the next step could very well be your last, instead this is more like a shooter were you are just shooting all the time against 1000 dudes on the outside, no fear, noI really don't understand what makes this game special for so many people. To me, it marks the point where resident evil starts going downhill, it's no longer about clever puzzles and being low on health and ammo and feeling the next step could very well be your last, instead this is more like a shooter were you are just shooting all the time against 1000 dudes on the outside, no fear, no horror, no anything, just shooting and shooting. And they even add a shop? What the hell, is this resident evil or Counter strike? The game kinda starts to get boring after the first two massacres. Also, you have "over the shoulder" perspective but the character moves like in old resident evils, it's SOOOO unintuitive.

To finish, something really annoying was he fact that the action takes place in Spain and the voice actors are clearly speaking mexican dialect, it makes me feel the game is kind of a joke, they didn't even research anything about the place the game was taking place in?

Overall, mediocre game and the PC port sux, even if graphically it's kinda nice even if it's old and the storyline is good despite the mexican thing kinda taking away the immersion I can't rate it more than 4.
  26. Jul 8, 2015
    This is an updated review: at first this port was kinda broken, a bit. But now im happily able to confirm that it is absolutely fine, its an absolutely amazing port and I can definitely recommend it to almost all pc resident evil fans. The controls, are a bit awkward, if yur not use to tank controls, but other then that it is every thing you loved from resident evil 4 with all the bonusThis is an updated review: at first this port was kinda broken, a bit. But now im happily able to confirm that it is absolutely fine, its an absolutely amazing port and I can definitely recommend it to almost all pc resident evil fans. The controls, are a bit awkward, if yur not use to tank controls, but other then that it is every thing you loved from resident evil 4 with all the bonus content. I love it, and im glad that i brought it. Thank you Capcom for bring back a classic for all the pc gamers. Expand
  27. May 1, 2014
    This is the best RE ever and it's inumerous qualities have been discussed since it's launch on Game Cube. It deserved a 10/10 back then, hands down. But almost 10 years later, only a complete remake would guarantee such high score. This is not what you'll get here, though. Far from it.

But... This is the best PC version, so I can't give it less than 7.
  28. Aug 13, 2014
    My favorite Resident Evil now in full HD and runs at 60fps! I loved it on GameCube and I love it even more on PC! Despite its minor issues and lack of Wii-like mouse support that some had expected it to have, it's well worth the price. Some of the textures have been redone and look as good as L4D2's textures at best, so not modern standard HD at all, but nonetheless, better than previousMy favorite Resident Evil now in full HD and runs at 60fps! I loved it on GameCube and I love it even more on PC! Despite its minor issues and lack of Wii-like mouse support that some had expected it to have, it's well worth the price. Some of the textures have been redone and look as good as L4D2's textures at best, so not modern standard HD at all, but nonetheless, better than previous ports. While aiming with the mouse is inferior to the Wii version, it's superior to the analog stick (depending on how much practice you put into it). Sniping heads is a breeze and the merchant's shooting ranges is laughably easy, though it's a lot more convenient to just plug in a 360 gamepad and be on your way.
    Most of the cut-scenes are in real-time, but some are low quality videos. If your PC is weak and struggles to run older games like HL2 or Portal, I don't recommend you play this, because its speed is actually tied to the frames-per-second, meaning if you use the game's locked 60fps setting and you're running 30fps, the game will run at half speed. Luckily it doesn't take a NASA computer to get 60fps. So... good port, runs great on mid hardware, looks the best, epic nostalgia, worth the 20 bucks, could use a patch for the minor issues though.

EDIT: Mouse aiming has been patched to be responsive like other shooters. I actually prefer this over the Wii aiming. Nice! Mouse acceleration is on by default, but you can disable it via a config file.
  29. Dec 12, 2014
    They've done what we've all asked for but very poorly, Better than the first PC port by a mile, but still better to play the original on the consoles. That is all I have to say...
  30. Nov 5, 2015
    now this game really confuses me. so much good ideas mixed with b-movie like trash, i dont know where to put it. annyoing standard helicopter action scenes mixed up with artificial plot-design but rly great boosmobs and some really scary moments. (im talkin to you, little, snorting, plaga-infested bio-experiment!).
    However there are so much great stages like bio-labs and zombie-farms
    However there are so much great stages like bio-labs and zombie-farms mixed up with so much annoying, predictable cliches, i rly dont know what to think about this game.
    safe the presidents daughter in a solomission from a zombie-infested farm. man, what starts like a b-movie-trash plot ends like one.
  31. Apr 8, 2015
    Controls arent bad, but they take getting used to. Once you're used to them, it turns out to be a fantastic experience. i personally find this version to be the best, yet I've only play the GC version. Definitely check it out.
  32. Apr 12, 2016
    Como juego después de jugarlo solo puedo decir que es muy bueno, me gusta el 5 y el 6, el 4 está muy bien (es la jugabilidad del 5, basicamente)

En lo técnico, es en mi opinión justillo, porque aunque sea 'hd' la mejora sobre la cversión original de gamecube o wii, es muy leve. Mejor se ve, sí, pero muy poco mejor.

La puntuación si es "alta" es porque el juego es bueno.
  33. May 30, 2016
    Ok, lets be honest, the graphics are already outdated, even in this HD edition. But considering that the game was originally released in the early 2000', I think this is not a big thing.

I did like RE1,2,3 back then when it came out for the PlayStation, but I think I really started to love this series when it changed to a 3rd person shooter with this RE4. Definitely worth trying out,

Definitely worth trying out, if you haven't yet.

1. May 14, 2014
    Sadly the final score has to be lower than originally expected, at least until the developers can fix the issues. Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition is essentially the great PC version we've been waiting for all these years, it is priced quite reasonably and, under normal conditions, I would recommend the game wholeheartedly to fans of the series and newcomers alike, but not until all the bugs have been squashed. Until then, keep your money in your pockets.
  2. Apr 29, 2014
    If you haven’t played Resident Evil 4, it’s still absolutely worth playing. It’s a definite classic that stands along with the likes of Half Life 2 as one of the best games of its generation.
  3. Apr 24, 2014
    Resident Evil 4 is still one of the best games ever made, but less-than-ideal mouse and keyboard controls and a barely noticeable texture upgrade keep this PC port from being the ultimate version of this masterpiece that it could have been.