7.3

1. Erik
    Jun 21, 2007
    NO sidestep NO adequate mousecontrol NO walking while aiming.
  2. JarenS.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Lack of mouse support really killed it for me. That and having trouble seeing past my character, not being able to turn very quickly, aim and move at the same time, and not being able to strafe. I don't mind some of the bad textures and transitions. What I care about is control, and this game simply does not give me that.
  3. C.H.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I expected improved graphics and full keyboard/mouse support. What I got was an absolutely faithful port of the console version. Right down to the fact that you need a gamepad to play! There is no mouse support and the keyboard controls are absolutely horrible. There are no improvements to the graphics, so while the game may be fun to play (IF i had a gamepad), it is horrendous to look I expected improved graphics and full keyboard/mouse support. What I got was an absolutely faithful port of the console version. Right down to the fact that you need a gamepad to play! There is no mouse support and the keyboard controls are absolutely horrible. There are no improvements to the graphics, so while the game may be fun to play (IF i had a gamepad), it is horrendous to look at. It's a real shame, since RE4 on the console was fantastic. The PC port is a poor shadow of a great game. Expand
  4. JaxM.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Very crappy port to the PC version. I bought this expecting the game developers to at least attempt to customize the settings, controls, etc. for the PC. But instead, it's a direct port from console to PC. When you install it, you will find out what I mean when you can't use your mouse, you can't escape out of a game, and you become more frustrated at the fact that you Very crappy port to the PC version. I bought this expecting the game developers to at least attempt to customize the settings, controls, etc. for the PC. But instead, it's a direct port from console to PC. When you install it, you will find out what I mean when you can't use your mouse, you can't escape out of a game, and you become more frustrated at the fact that you spend $20 on it. Expand
  5. Rhyek
    Mar 25, 2009
    Lousy graphics, low-quality FMV's, but what's really annoying about this game is the incredibly awkward controls. I played maybe 30 minutes and got so frustrated I had to alt-f4. You have to actually make an effort to simultaneously run/walk and turn towards your desired direction; you can't turn around quickly enough to target a surprise enemy; targetting an enemy is aLousy graphics, low-quality FMV's, but what's really annoying about this game is the incredibly awkward controls. I played maybe 30 minutes and got so frustrated I had to alt-f4. You have to actually make an effort to simultaneously run/walk and turn towards your desired direction; you can't turn around quickly enough to target a surprise enemy; targetting an enemy is a dreadful process. When you're trying to aim at something it sort of feels like the main character suffers from epilepsy: your weapon's laser keeps wobbling about like it's hell-bent on getting you killed. I tried with both and XBOX 360 controller and keyboard/mouse. Same result.
    This game really needed an auto-target function.
    It reminds me of how slow the combat mechanism was for Silent Hill 2 for the PC when I tried playing it, though these are definitely worse.
    There's something wrong with a supposedly horror game when most of your distress can be attributed to you not being able to get your character to do what you want them to do when you want them to do it.
  6. JohnB.
    May 18, 2007
    Abysmal. Capcom really dropped the ball on this one. Whatever you may say about how good a game it was on console, on PC it's dire. The texture quality is awful, there have been no positive changes made and the biggest screw-up is the control system, which is UNPLAYABLE without a gamepad. No effort was made to add mouse-support, something which would have made the game fantastic in Abysmal. Capcom really dropped the ball on this one. Whatever you may say about how good a game it was on console, on PC it's dire. The texture quality is awful, there have been no positive changes made and the biggest screw-up is the control system, which is UNPLAYABLE without a gamepad. No effort was made to add mouse-support, something which would have made the game fantastic in my honest opinion. Aiming with the keypad is IMPOSSIBLE, nuff said. Do not touch this with a ten-foot bargepole, buy a Gamecube and pick it up second hand instead. Expand
  7. MikeB.
    Apr 10, 2007
    Having been a massive fan of the Resident Evil series since the first game came out I was eagerly anticipating a release on the pc this year. To say I'm disappointed is a massive understatement. This is a truly horrendous port from the gamecube, indeed it is the worst port I've EVER played. Basically what you have here is a 1st person shooter without mouse compatability. Aiming Having been a massive fan of the Resident Evil series since the first game came out I was eagerly anticipating a release on the pc this year. To say I'm disappointed is a massive understatement. This is a truly horrendous port from the gamecube, indeed it is the worst port I've EVER played. Basically what you have here is a 1st person shooter without mouse compatability. Aiming weapons is impossible with any degree of accuracy and so the game falls flat at the very first hurdle. Another complete stinker in gameplay terms is the interactive cutscenes where you are urged on screen to press certain buttons at certain times. All well and good until you realize the developers haven't bothered changing the on screen commands to relate to the pc. SO now when you see "press 1 and 2" it really means "enter and space". Its just lazy and sloppy development and results in you spending fifteen minutes at each cutscene guessing which buttons you should press. For all the games plaability issues you would think it at least has awesome graphics. It looked pretty good on the gamecube 2 years ago so you would think that would have been improved a lot for the pc. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. The pc version looks WORSE than the original! Texture are lame and choppy, with no option to change the resolution at all and the whole game in general is far too bright, killing any atmosphere. Even basic things like mist and fog elements whch were in the original have been dropped for this, leaving comedy moments were enemies, instead of running off into the fog, simply disappear into mid-air. To sum up this is a horrible port with absolutely no regards to pc players whatsoever and should be thoroughly ignored. If you MUST play this game, and believe me, it is an excellent console game, you'd be better advised to buy a second hand Gamecube with it than waste your money on this dross. Expand
  8. HarryS.
    Jun 13, 2007
    A lazy port of a great game. A real shame if this is the first RE game you play and you make the mistake of playing it on the pc you wont play another one. Gamecube version gets 9/10 from me.
  9. LeoL
    Apr 12, 2007
    The worst graphics on a PC port ever.....no shaders or lighting, no mouse aim, no graphical display of corresponding keyboard keys. Eg shift or 'E' is called 8 or 9 or some other number. I want my money back, but can't because it's a PC game, if this was a 360 game from EB I would have it back a 1/2 hour after starting it.
  10. Kyle
    Apr 24, 2007
    This was my first experience with Resident Evil, and I've got to say it's utter crap, aside from the voice acting. Every good action sequence is broken up and repeated over and over due to "Dragon's Lair" style of control (push these two buttons together or your head gets chopped off, and you have half of a second to do it), the most awful control scheme in history. The This was my first experience with Resident Evil, and I've got to say it's utter crap, aside from the voice acting. Every good action sequence is broken up and repeated over and over due to "Dragon's Lair" style of control (push these two buttons together or your head gets chopped off, and you have half of a second to do it), the most awful control scheme in history. The camera angles are horrible...a third of the screen is permanently occupied by your character's shoulders. There is no mouse support, either, because apparently it would make the game too easy. It doesn't have the action of F.E.A.R., the atmosphere of Silent Hill, or the heart-pounding suspense of Splinter Cell and Thief. Truly a disgrace to the horror genre. Expand
  11. IanT.
    Apr 11, 2007
    Resident Evil four on the Game Cube and PS2 can be easily called one of the greatest games ever and nobody who has played them can deny that fact. However this port is just plain painful to play. For someone like me who has played the original versions, I was disgusted at what Ubisoft has done to my precious RE4. Not only having the prerendered cut scenes from the ps2 version which mind Resident Evil four on the Game Cube and PS2 can be easily called one of the greatest games ever and nobody who has played them can deny that fact. However this port is just plain painful to play. For someone like me who has played the original versions, I was disgusted at what Ubisoft has done to my precious RE4. Not only having the prerendered cut scenes from the ps2 version which mind you were only there because of the ps2s limited hardware, but the dynamic lighting and the shaders seemed to have been lost in translation to the pc leaving everything with a strange white glow that especially in the later levels will make your eyeballs hurt. Coupled with the absense of mouse aiming that should be standard with any computer game hell even the pc version of the godfather had mouse aiming and the lack of vibration support which is just plain a bad move, esspecilly since anyone daring enough to risk their eyesight to play this game will be using a joystick adds up to a game that you should much rather burn than play. If you must play resident evil hop on amazon.com and pick up a Gamecube for $99.99 then get Resident Evil 4 for $18.99. Its almost depressing that a game that is is more than worth the aforementioned $118.98 to play could turn into a game nowhere near worth the fifty dollars they charge just by going through the ubisoft development center, which is causing me to fear for some of my favorite franchises such as Splinter Cell or Rayman. My only hopes is the reason why Capcom payed so little attention to those crazy europians at Ubisoft is because they are putting full force towards Resident Evil five. Bottom line is after reading this instead of buying this game promptly beat yourself over the head with the closest blunt object you can find then buy the Gamecube or PS2 or even the Wii version, I havent even seen the Wii version but aiming with the Wiimote would be a major improvment over anything this crap wagon can offer. And after you buy and enjoy RE4 like you should and want to see what you narrowly avoided, just dig up an old rabbit ear tv and cover the screen with tracing paper and laugh and feel relived that you did not loose fifty bucks to see it. Expand
  12. JustinM.
    May 11, 2007
    GC version was amazing, was very excited for PC version because using the mouse would be great.... CAN"T EVEN USE IT?!?!?!??! WTF! why buy it? what a waste of money. I couldn't believe you can't use the mouse... very VERY! disappointing.
  13. db
    Apr 26, 2008
    The controls and settings are so bad that it negates everything else the game has to offer. You have to control- alt -delete or alt-F4 just to quit the game, and there isn't even invert look. If they dont want mouse support, then, at least allow full configuration of the controls.
  14. Mar 14, 2012
    Overrated, boring game that fully discrases the name of resident evil. Capcom took there fans and took a complete dookie on there face and smeared it around! This is a terrible game. Its not even an RE GAME! WOW! Its got Leon And Ada... Woopty doo, its still not worthy of bearing the name Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 should of been something completely different. This is stupid. BuyOverrated, boring game that fully discrases the name of resident evil. Capcom took there fans and took a complete dookie on there face and smeared it around! This is a terrible game. Its not even an RE GAME! WOW! Its got Leon And Ada... Woopty doo, its still not worthy of bearing the name Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 should of been something completely different. This is stupid. Buy Resident Evil Outbreak, Resident Evil Code veronica, or Resident evil Operation Raccoon City INstead! Expand
  15. Sep 13, 2014
    RE 1 and 2 were clearly major hits that propelled the series into almost countless novels, comic books, movies, merchandise and of course all the spin-off games. Once the series made it to RE2, Capcom of course released RE 3, which wasn't hated... but it was boring. Which is probably the worst insult you can give to a video game. At least if you hate something you are mad because youRE 1 and 2 were clearly major hits that propelled the series into almost countless novels, comic books, movies, merchandise and of course all the spin-off games. Once the series made it to RE2, Capcom of course released RE 3, which wasn't hated... but it was boring. Which is probably the worst insult you can give to a video game. At least if you hate something you are mad because you wanted something else or something more. It was clear to Capcom that just using the original formula of survival horror wasn't going to work for RE4. This is where everything changed for the series, and quite dramatically, not minor.

It was the first time ammo conservation was too easy, especially for a seasoned RE player. The voice acting in this one was quite bad, considering how it was their first triple A release. The Spanish characters speak using some generic English accent and often say 'bloke', which is an Australian term. According to Americans, all people outside of America (Capcom's translation team) are a conglomerate of random things merely outside of America.I get that the voice acting in RE1 was horrible, but the funding was very low and it was a game from 1996, not 2005.

The game was far from scary as it was trying too hard to entertain. Seeing "zombies" place traps and pick up chainsaws turned the initial (and anticipated) opening experience from bread and butter zombie fighting to just silly, over-the-top, juvenile attempts at horror. As the game progressed on, it shifted into an even worse, bad, pre-juvenille Halloween scare-show that your parents would take you to. Every monster was trying too hard to scare you, and that just defeated the purpose immediately. What made the originally RE games scary was the remote feeling of being left behind with zombies, not on some kind of freak show where monsters from every bad 80's movie keep calling you over to look at them like an attention starved drama queen.

And the I think the worst insult I can give this game is that it was BORING. I couldn't bring myself to play it after 10 hours or so. Capcom just took a giant dookie on this game, and copied the same crap that Konami was doing for Resident Evil ("epic" boss fights against giants, cinema like cut scenes which make no sense in a survival horror game). It was Capcom's all out attempt to re-make a game that was amazing when it first came out and when challanged with making something new and good again they failed both times. First with RE:3, which was just a boring, hastily put together copy of RE:2, and then with RE:4 which was just a re-done franchise and almost near copy of every generic PS2 action game.

1. It's a simple port of a console game and as such is best played on a console.
  2. The best bit is that you can experience the whole story again through the eyes of a completely different character, thus unwrapping further details about the plot. This kind of storytelling is not found too often and it was certainly a pleasure to undertake.
  3. This is actually technically inferior to the console versions, and it badly hurts the experience. Just because it works on the PC doesn't make it a PC game - ask for your fiver back, Capcom. [Apr 2007, p.84]