8.2

1. Oct 10, 2012
    Excellently executed, to the minutes of details this is an instant, timeless classic. Must play for any NES / oldschool game enthousiast and also for those willing to learn about the glory days of gaming. LOVE the pixel art, chip tunes and oldschool throwbacks! 10 / 10
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is a blast, but it'll probably only feel like an 8/10 if you never played the NES classics. In which case, I suggest you look up the references in this game and play those classics. Anyway, easily worth $15. Also, great controller support.
  3. Oct 12, 2012
    In short, this game is amazing! This game is a culmination of nearly 10 years of work that started as a project to make an NES Homebrew game of Grand Theft Auto 3, and after a couple years with that, became a game developed for modern systems. Whether it was because the limitations were too great to continue as an NES game or what, this game is better for it. This game takes the great retro graphics and sound from games we loved as kids and combines it with modern gameplay mechanics that ensures it is never a frustration to play due to bad controls or bad game design. The design of this game is immaculate, especially considering it is the work of pretty much just 1 guy, I believe a few others did help but only during the last few months of development. No other indie game developed since Minecraft has been so carefully crafted and refined, yet retain the indie charm we would expect.

The 1st 15 minutes of the game alone sold me. The references to classic movies and video games were countless. I can name off Grand Theft Auto, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, The Dark Knight, Megaman 2, Super Mario Brothers 2, Duck Hunt, Mortal Kombat, Inception, and Metal Gear Solid off the top of my head, just in the 1st 15 minutes. Part of the fun of this game is trying to get all the references. If you haven't played many old games you might not get some of it, but fortunately the tight gameplay and expansive wealth of content in the game still makes it a buy.

I can't think of an indie game this year that can touch this game. BUY IT NOW!
  4. Oct 10, 2012
    I have no choice but to give this game a 10. Awesome music, love the art style. Vehicles control quite well. It's just fun. The only way I wouldn't recommend this, is if you didn't play much NES games back in the day. The nostalgia and humor is a big factor. But for the niche this game is filling, it could NOT get any better.
  5. Oct 17, 2012
    This game is so much fun! I didn't believed how many game references and movie references are in here!
    Controls might be a little difficult to handle on a keyboard or a controller but it's a okay game.
  6. Oct 9, 2012
    If you grew up loving games like River City Ransom, Metal Gear, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES than you owe it to yourself to buy this game. The 80's video game and pop culture references are everywhere. I play a lot of classic console games but many times the gameplay does not live up to the nostalgia. Retro City Rampage brings back all of the wonderful feelings of gaming in the 80's but with enough modern gameplay enhancements to keep players feeling engaged. There's even a simple cover system. This works great on PC with an XBOX controller (buttons are auto-mapped and displayed on screen). This is a great gaming experience that pays homage to the best games of my generation. Expand
  7. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is everything you've ever played. Every game you've ever loved. And more. At first I was slightly apprehensive about spending £10 on a game that, on the surface, may seem like something you'd find on a flash games website. But then I started playing. I'm not going into detail for fear of giving anything away, but if you love retro/arcade games and you're sitting around wondering if it's worth it: It is. Expand
  8. Oct 13, 2012
    First of all I would like to say I am A hardcore gamer as well as the casual gamer and what I found her was that mix Plus... Old school graphics that the TV video options give you the chance to play or looking or take In the game. Anyone who **** about the Graphics should be taken away and beat till they understand.... Graphics do not make the game... as they are the plus. that said...

Graphics. Good and does the game right... everything seem dumbed down and right to the point. Due to the best part of the game
    Gameplay. Yep great so far nothing to complain about other than a lock on system would have been nice during the Gunfire. The best part about the game play? It Is every NES, Movie, and pop parody since.. the 80's However that Is packed Into the addicting GTA game play mode and this Is what makes this game good to great!

Music. Just fine.... The radio stations rock!

Play-A-Bility... Tons, and tons, and more like any other sandbox game you can think of??? This Is what the NES days would have given us If we had the know how to make a game like this. Tons to do and see and play Games within games and dumb within in dumb. For one reason or part of the game will bring you back.. My only gripe Is... It seems almost to real for a parody. I feel like I live In this world when I play and find It not so funny... Yet more Interesting. A true classic and a must get!
  9. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is great. I was laughing my ass off the first time I played it, thinking, "are those pixelated ninja turtles that are chasing me?". What I enjoy about this game is how much better it is than Grand Theft Auto 3, which is the main game it's parodying. The cutscenes are appropriately fast paced and while it does get difficult to the point of having to retry 10-20 times, it's still a hell of a lot better and much more fun than the unfair and frustrating difficulty associated with Grand Theft Auto 3 missions. The combat system is clean and works great (MUCH unlike GTA3) and it feels that if this game really was released on the NES back in the day (the developer originally created this game on the NES, then ported it to the PC and modern consoles) it would have had super universal praise, 10/10s everywhere unlike what I'm seeing by the "modernized" critical press.
    The only problem I have with this game is the difficulty, which for others they may feel right at home with it. Even after you stop laughing at the many references or some of them start shooting over your head, the core game is still quirky and fun. Try out the demo and see if it's for you.
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    I pirated this game, a short time after playing I legitimately bought it. If you're a fan of the original GTA's and the 8/16 bit era it's a no brainer. Controls and gameplay are fantastic, a fun open world to explore and seemingly endless weapons, items and vehicles. very fast paced action and quests that have much more variety than you would guess. Some of the quests can be very grueling and difficult, but challenge is welcomed in my book and it doesn't reset you too far back. I am very impressed with this little number that is well worth the cost. Expand
  11. Mar 3, 2014
    this game is awesome but this site is just a pile of arse who even listen to this a mentally challengend monkey ? I give metacritic a -69/100 the end...stupid site

1. Jan 31, 2013
    Retro City Rampage is a game that certainly has it's flaws, but if you lived through the 80's or 90's, this a game made for you. The adventure of Player is filled with references to that time period, and if words like Ninja Turtles, Mario, Contra and Batman bring back memories, you'll have great fun with Retro City Rampage.
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    I definitely had fun with Retro City Rampage, that much is clear.
  3. Dec 12, 2012
    A stylish homage to old video games. It's just not particularly fun to play. What could have been a great game ends up just okay. [Dec 2012]