8.2

1. Mar 3, 2014
    this game is awesome but this site is just a pile of arse who even listen to this a mentally challengend monkey ? I give metacritic a -69/100 the end...stupid site
  2. Jan 24, 2014
    after one minute positive impression, i found 8 bit style chosen because lazy, or out of resources.
    longer i played the more this one started feeling little unfinished. We have been playing better looking retrogames, with more charm in objects and plots, -even the originals from which many of ideas here have ben copied were implemented better. Here you got fast copy of lots of material
    for fast content. i started feeling i've already played this with those old original implementations. Hmm i think i buy my kid Renegade Ops instead of this. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    This would have been amazing about 20 years ago now it's just an irrelevant parody lost in a new generation of games.
    This game fits better for something like the ipad so you can play it on the go instead of waisting time when you could be playing better games like bioshock or tomb raider.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    Retro City Rampage. It's a retro-looking GTA 1 (even more retro than gta itself). I didn't understand anything in the 5 first minutes of the game. Everything is very small and the constant flow of gaming parodies in the dialog, missions, buildings, cars (everywhere!) can be rather overwhelming. Things move on quickly and you may roam the city free or do the main questline that consists of fetch this and fetch that quests although breaking this grind momentarily by offering new toys to play with. The problem I had was that I didn't immerse to the "story" at all, the countless parodies make dialog and the story confusing and irrelevant. It was fun to throw people their mail and notice it was a parody of Paperboy (the game). What if you never heard of? It's just a mini-game. How about the other problems: driving is boring and different cars (making no sound when driving full speed!?) offer you nothing unique, weapons all feel pretty much the same except for explosives that get yourself killed easily and the often mentioned Meatboy minigame (as are the others) is just a distraction from the main game and only for the completionists. Only thing above average this game can offer you is a fantastic mini-game 'spot the reference'. Expand
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    I pirated this game, a short time after playing I legitimately bought it. If you're a fan of the original GTA's and the 8/16 bit era it's a no brainer. Controls and gameplay are fantastic, a fun open world to explore and seemingly endless weapons, items and vehicles. very fast paced action and quests that have much more variety than you would guess. Some of the quests can be very grueling and difficult, but challenge is welcomed in my book and it doesn't reset you too far back. I am very impressed with this little number that is well worth the cost. Expand
  6. Jan 7, 2013
    I wonder if somene had been working on designing a candle that burned longer when Edison released the light bulb. Probably. Thinking up the concept of electricity is hard enough, but pulling the parts together and making it happen just gives the layman a migraine. It's lot easier just to improve something that already exists. Like giving horses sterioids or strapping a chair to the wings of a pelican. Retro City Rampage is a blast back to Grand Theft Auto 1 days, a message that is blasted all over your face until your blind. Every aspect of this game couldn't get more retro if it literrally transported you back to the days where wearing JNCO pants was cool; and along the way fuzed a pair of "turn everything neon" glasses to your skull.

The beginning of the game is so just fast paced and loud that there should be a caveat: "Warning: This game may cause seizures." It's like, slow down little Bessy. You just got started. It's acting like your friend that can't stop taking Adderal for no apparent reason. You want to tell him to cool down for a hot second so you don't have to keep making efforts to avoid seeing him in public places. Sure your friend will eventually get over the problem, and if you're a good enough friend then you'll probably wait for that moment. Then finally have a chance to enjoy the game happily ever after. I, however, did not wait. Shows what kind of friend I am.
  7. Oct 19, 2012
    As others have stated, it's a soulless nostalgia pandering game with ok controls but nothing to do with them. This has absolutely no personality of it's own and just tries its hardest to be liked by everyone and anyone that has been alive for more than twenty years. I love GTA style games but this one was obviously produced by someone missing the point. Parody does not simply mean reference. Don't be suckered in with it's false charm. Expand
  8. Oct 17, 2012
    This game is so much fun! I didn't believed how many game references and movie references are in here!
    Controls might be a little difficult to handle on a keyboard or a controller but it's a okay game.
  9. Oct 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a teenager who didn't grow up in the era of the 80s, and I found this game enjoyable, at times. The game starts out with your average tutorial, but as the game goes on the missions only get more and more frustrating. An example, of a frustrating moment in this game is the mission "sweaty" jumping. The objective of it is to get to the top of the floor. Sounds simple enough, but to make it more difficult it's all timed jumping. The timed jumping isn't that bad, but having to listen to the same music looping over and over again while attempting to complete the level is annoying. Now, the game's missions are difficult at times, and the game keeps you, as the player, coming back to see how the story unfolds. However, the missions sometimes feel too difficult maybe that is to emulate the NES was back then. Overall, the game is a good game, if you want to play it for the GTA feeling of it. The customization of the character is unique because there's multiple things you can customize about the character(hair, face, hat etc...) For the difficulty of the game, the annoying missions, the unique customization, and retaining the feeling of the an actual GTA game. I rate it a 6. Expand
  10. Oct 15, 2012
    After booting up the game I was initially very impressed with the NES look of the game. Even more so when I went to the settings and found the many different display options available. You can make the game look like any old console or computer you can think of, from the zx spectrum and Commodore 64, to the Gameboy, or even PC CGA display. Unfortunately my enthusiasm was damped somewhat once the game actually started. After the initial nostalgic joy of seeing a new game that harks back to the 8-bit visual style, you suddenly realise everything is absolutely tiny. The sprites are minuscule, smaller than Lemmings, or the Cannon Fodder soldiers. We are talking magnifying glasses territory here. This seems a strange choice as the NES, C64, Atari et al all had big chunky graphics. When entering buildings things become worse still, with the game display the size of an actual Gameboy screen it is hard to see what is what. Sometimes I had to focus for a second or two just to find where my character was amongst the tiny box and furniture sprites.

The music score is cool though. For the sound track Pavinciano brought in 3 renowned Chiptune composers; Leonard "FreakyDNA" Paul, Jake "Vert" Kaufman and Matt "Norrin Radd" Creamer. They have done a bang up job too, with catchy ditties playing throughout your adventures. The track clearly inspired by the music to Paperboy was an early highlight.

Parody Fatigue. Not something you may be familiar with now, but after spending an hour or so rushing around the streets of Theftopolis, you will start to feel the effects. Retro City Rampage simply bombards you with references to other materials, movies, games, people, places, that you feel like you are watching 5 or 6 TV channels at the same time. I found the constant stop-start gameplay style quite off-putting. Stages seem to be split into small sections, with constant cut scenes and yet more references. The problem is the references aren't funny. One bad guy clearly copied from Sonic the Hedgehog's long-standing nemesis is called Doctor Von Buttnik. This is the kind of unfunny humour that prevails throughout the game, and it becomes tiresome fast. In fact almost every single building, object, character or stage has a reference, sometimes more than one, to another game or a movie. It becomes too much after a while. There are no fresh ideas on display here anywhere, and while there are moments of creativity in the way you tackle a level, everything here feels like a poor man's version of the material that inspired it. The whole game looks, sounds, and plays like a slightly polished free browser game. Like one of those awful Epic / Scary movie parody flicks the whole thing is a collection of skits thrown together to make a whole. Unfortunately it just gets boring quite quickly, and when the gags aren't even funny, it becomes tiresome to play.

I was really looking forward to Retro City Rampage, it was genuinely one of the top 3 games of 2012 that I was looking forward to. Unfortunately it has been a massive disappointment. I figured I was the target audience for this game, after all I love 8-bit gaming, collect and play NES games, enjoy humour in games, and I get every reference in the game due to being an 80's kid. Yet the whole package left me deeply unsatisfied. The game tries too hard to cram as many jokes in in a short a time as possible, but it backfires and shows the game up for what it essentially is, a mildly amusing browser game to spend 20 minutes on, then find something deeper, and better to play.

You are much better off getting your NES fix from the excellent, and free, PC game Abobo's Big Adventure, which will give you an hours worth of fun, and is far more humorous, and true to it's reference material than RCR.
  11. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is great. I was laughing my ass off the first time I played it, thinking, "are those pixelated ninja turtles that are chasing me?". What I enjoy about this game is how much better it is than Grand Theft Auto 3, which is the main game it's parodying. The cutscenes are appropriately fast paced and while it does get difficult to the point of having to retry 10-20 times, it's still a hell of a lot better and much more fun than the unfair and frustrating difficulty associated with Grand Theft Auto 3 missions. The combat system is clean and works great (MUCH unlike GTA3) and it feels that if this game really was released on the NES back in the day (the developer originally created this game on the NES, then ported it to the PC and modern consoles) it would have had super universal praise, 10/10s everywhere unlike what I'm seeing by the "modernized" critical press.
    The only problem I have with this game is the difficulty, which for others they may feel right at home with it. Even after you stop laughing at the many references or some of them start shooting over your head, the core game is still quirky and fun. Try out the demo and see if it's for you.
  12. Oct 13, 2012
    First of all I would like to say I am A hardcore gamer as well as the casual gamer and what I found her was that mix Plus... Old school graphics that the TV video options give you the chance to play or looking or take In the game. Anyone who **** about the Graphics should be taken away and beat till they understand.... Graphics do not make the game... as they are the plus. that said...

Graphics. Good and does the game right... everything seem dumbed down and right to the point. Due to the best part of the game
    Gameplay. Yep great so far nothing to complain about other than a lock on system would have been nice during the Gunfire. The best part about the game play? It Is every NES, Movie, and pop parody since.. the 80's However that Is packed Into the addicting GTA game play mode and this Is what makes this game good to great!

Music. Just fine.... The radio stations rock!

Play-A-Bility... Tons, and tons, and more like any other sandbox game you can think of??? This Is what the NES days would have given us If we had the know how to make a game like this. Tons to do and see and play Games within games and dumb within in dumb. For one reason or part of the game will bring you back.. My only gripe Is... It seems almost to real for a parody. I feel like I live In this world when I play and find It not so funny... Yet more Interesting. A true classic and a must get!
  13. Oct 12, 2012
    In short, this game is amazing! This game is a culmination of nearly 10 years of work that started as a project to make an NES Homebrew game of Grand Theft Auto 3, and after a couple years with that, became a game developed for modern systems. Whether it was because the limitations were too great to continue as an NES game or what, this game is better for it. This game takes the great retro graphics and sound from games we loved as kids and combines it with modern gameplay mechanics that ensures it is never a frustration to play due to bad controls or bad game design. The design of this game is immaculate, especially considering it is the work of pretty much just 1 guy, I believe a few others did help but only during the last few months of development. No other indie game developed since Minecraft has been so carefully crafted and refined, yet retain the indie charm we would expect.

The 1st 15 minutes of the game alone sold me. The references to classic movies and video games were countless. I can name off Grand Theft Auto, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, The Dark Knight, Megaman 2, Super Mario Brothers 2, Duck Hunt, Mortal Kombat, Inception, and Metal Gear Solid off the top of my head, just in the 1st 15 minutes. Part of the fun of this game is trying to get all the references. If you haven't played many old games you might not get some of it, but fortunately the tight gameplay and expansive wealth of content in the game still makes it a buy.

I can't think of an indie game this year that can touch this game. BUY IT NOW!
  14. Oct 11, 2012
    The nostalgic pandering to my generation is obviously the game's selling point, but it's also my biggest problem with the whole experience. Perhaps I can't honestly call "Retro City Rampage" bad, but I can call it dumb. I know so many people, like myself, grew up with these other games, but where's the... well, new game? This is Wayan's brothers territory-- not a shred of original content, but plenty of references to something better. More often than not, the fun of "Retro City Rampage" is getting the references... but that's the end of the joke. There are hundreds of gamer in-jokes, but very few actually impact gameplay. Some, like a poorly designed bit-trip runner sidequest, are so shoddily put together you'll want to just go play the real game instead. Underneath all this referential nonsense is a perfectly decent sandbox arcade game, but it takes some digging to find it buried under the thoughtless parody. The controls are tight, the game has depth, the world is just the right size for plenty of delicious secrets... but something slipped in the game aping. It makes me sad to see indie devs sinking under the weight of referential humor, rather than simply trying to make a good product. There is so little value in a joke like "Look, there's the game genie! Get it?" That a decently made game becomes irritating. But that may be just me. For anyone who wants a trip down memory lane coupled with a decent arcade game, well here ya go. Personally, I'll stick to indie games with some originality. Expand
  15. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is a blast, but it'll probably only feel like an 8/10 if you never played the NES classics. In which case, I suggest you look up the references in this game and play those classics. Anyway, easily worth $15. Also, great controller support.
  16. Oct 10, 2012
    I have no choice but to give this game a 10. Awesome music, love the art style. Vehicles control quite well. It's just fun. The only way I wouldn't recommend this, is if you didn't play much NES games back in the day. The nostalgia and humor is a big factor. But for the niche this game is filling, it could NOT get any better.
  17. Oct 10, 2012
    Excellently executed, to the minutes of details this is an instant, timeless classic. Must play for any NES / oldschool game enthousiast and also for those willing to learn about the glory days of gaming. LOVE the pixel art, chip tunes and oldschool throwbacks! 10 / 10
  18. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is everything you've ever played. Every game you've ever loved. And more. At first I was slightly apprehensive about spending £10 on a game that, on the surface, may seem like something you'd find on a flash games website. But then I started playing. I'm not going into detail for fear of giving anything away, but if you love retro/arcade games and you're sitting around wondering if it's worth it: It is. Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2012
    If you grew up loving games like River City Ransom, Metal Gear, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES than you owe it to yourself to buy this game. The 80's video game and pop culture references are everywhere. I play a lot of classic console games but many times the gameplay does not live up to the nostalgia. Retro City Rampage brings back all of the wonderful feelings of gaming in the 80's but with enough modern gameplay enhancements to keep players feeling engaged. There's even a simple cover system. This works great on PC with an XBOX controller (buttons are auto-mapped and displayed on screen). This is a great gaming experience that pays homage to the best games of my generation. Collapse
  20. Oct 9, 2012

1. Jan 31, 2013
    Retro City Rampage is a game that certainly has it's flaws, but if you lived through the 80's or 90's, this a game made for you. The adventure of Player is filled with references to that time period, and if words like Ninja Turtles, Mario, Contra and Batman bring back memories, you'll have great fun with Retro City Rampage.
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    I definitely had fun with Retro City Rampage, that much is clear.
  3. Dec 12, 2012
    A stylish homage to old video games. It's just not particularly fun to play. What could have been a great game ends up just okay. [Dec 2012]