Retrovirus PC

• Publisher: Cadenza
  • Release Date: Jan 31, 2013
6.9

1. Mar 18, 2013
    If you're like me and have been itching for a good Descent-like game, then this should satisfy you. Unlike the other user reviewers, I never had any crashes. There are a couple places where the difficulty spikes a bit high, and I had to resort to cheap tactics to continue. I'd have loved to play MP with folks, but the browser never found a single game with other players in it. I cut myIf you're like me and have been itching for a good Descent-like game, then this should satisfy you. Unlike the other user reviewers, I never had any crashes. There are a couple places where the difficulty spikes a bit high, and I had to resort to cheap tactics to continue. I'd have loved to play MP with folks, but the browser never found a single game with other players in it. I cut my FPS teeth on Descent MP, so it would have been fun. Oh well, maybe I can convince enough friends to buy it. Expand
  2. Feb 1, 2013
    A very nice little game- it plays very well, has a beautiful environment, and is absolutely full of awful computer jokes and puns, as well as quite a few less specific jokes, mainly found in the spam emails. I give this game 8 out of 10 because at the time of writing I have noticed a few glitches, such as crashing when your computer goes to the screensaver, and a strange lag when you quitA very nice little game- it plays very well, has a beautiful environment, and is absolutely full of awful computer jokes and puns, as well as quite a few less specific jokes, mainly found in the spam emails. I give this game 8 out of 10 because at the time of writing I have noticed a few glitches, such as crashing when your computer goes to the screensaver, and a strange lag when you quit the game to the menu screen. It could also use a better tutorial, and, for the user who not care for the style of humor, the option of a demo. Expand
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    Giving Retrovirus an 8.

Giving Retrovirus an 8.

A beautiful love letter to a classic game that exists in an untouched genre until now. It's an absolute blast to play, and lasts surprisingly longer than I had expected it to, honestly. First play through took about 10 hours. The final bossfight bugs out if you quicksave during it, and load that quicksave. It involves the boss's health bar. It saves how much damage you had done to it in the health bar, but the boss itself gets full health back. This may have been patched between now and then.

The only other minor complaint i can think of is that the pathfinding of the 'click this button to draw path to the next objective' sometimes has no idea what it's doing and will go through a wall. Still, this didn't happen to me very often at all, and was a simple mistake i can overlook.

For what you pay, and what you get, I must say that Retrovirus exceeded my expectations of 'a descent clone' and gave me something that i love. I hope the game sells well enough to warrant a sequel of some kind, and have recommended it to all of my friends.

Definitely give it a shot. If the thought of flying around and shooting stuff seems appealing, then you won't be disappointed.

1. CD-Action
    May 13, 2013
    Retrovirus is strongly inspired by Descent, so its old school gameplay diverges from current standards, which doesn’t have to be a drawback. The game’s biggest strength is how the world looks. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.81]
  2. PC Gamer UK
    Mar 30, 2013
    Without prods from the story to push onwards, Retrovirus is reliant on the appeal of its three-dimensional shootouts to push you towards the end. Thankfully, they are up to the job. [Apr 2013, p.107]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Retrovirus is a great adventure and it gives you some insight into what your computer could be dealing with each day you use it.