8.8

1. Feb 23, 2015
    What Return to castle Wolfenstein brought to the table in 2001 when it came to first person action games at the least, was "entertainment." It was all wrapped up in a fairly good looking engine, some interesting twists on the original Wolfenstein 3D and offered up a fairly ridiculous plot with something about zombies or spiritual hibbity-jibbity that the Nazi Occult was trying to bringWhat Return to castle Wolfenstein brought to the table in 2001 when it came to first person action games at the least, was "entertainment." It was all wrapped up in a fairly good looking engine, some interesting twists on the original Wolfenstein 3D and offered up a fairly ridiculous plot with something about zombies or spiritual hibbity-jibbity that the Nazi Occult was trying to bring forth- not particularly important.

All that aside, it has't particularly aged well, the A.I. even on the hardest difficulty simply becomes more accurate and more resilient to your bullets. Level design is pretty ingenious though, its amazing they managed to fit in so many secrets and hidden stuff on these linear levels. A lot of the areas are memorable, but to be fair it kind of starts to grate near the end when things start getting "ubersoldat-ry."

Its very solid, very consistent, with a lot of fun weapons to annihilate enemies with and it plays extremely well to this day- the A.I. is still pretty terrible though.
  2. Feb 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Return to castle wolfenstein is one of those amazing classics that most people enjoy and remember. I enjoyed wolfenstein because the game was different from most shooter back then but not in the first person shooter aspect because there was a lot of those back then but it is different in term of the story of the games. i'm not going to spoil the game because it is to good to be spoiled but can say my favorite boss fight in the game which is the robot boss. Expand
  3. Jan 28, 2015
    Last time I played this game was in 2013 and I replayed on my new laptop and it still wasn't old. It was so nice to re-experience the good old moments of killing Nazis in this game. The missions were still enjoyable for me and nothing will stop me to give Return to Castle Wolfenstein an A. On my laptop I played also Wolfenstein (2009) and Wolfenstein: The New Order and I can't decide whichLast time I played this game was in 2013 and I replayed on my new laptop and it still wasn't old. It was so nice to re-experience the good old moments of killing Nazis in this game. The missions were still enjoyable for me and nothing will stop me to give Return to Castle Wolfenstein an A. On my laptop I played also Wolfenstein (2009) and Wolfenstein: The New Order and I can't decide which game is the best, because these three games are very well done. Now I wanna a Wolfenstein 3D remake, because I like the Wolfenstein series. Expand
  4. Jan 7, 2015
    This is a wonderful game with a lot of cool new features compared to Wolfenstein 3D. The stealth-style missions are pretty wonderful, the enemies aren't dumb, and the story is something you should pay attention to when playing this game. Just remember, it's very, very hard. Go ahead and pick this game up on Steam or something, it's definitely worth a playthrough, trust me.
  5. Aug 31, 2014
    One of the best FPS games I have ever played. It has fantastic atmosphere, good pacing, interesting bosses, quite clever AI. The graphics and map design are quite good. Weapon selection is interesting.

It is a game you definitely want to return to some day. Because one does Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
  6. Aug 10, 2014
    A great game with a "meh" story.Gameplay and Graphics are very awsome for 2001. ................................................................................
  7. Jun 3, 2014
    This game is probably among the most classical series the game developers have had. The game graphics are only so limit during the time but what amazes me is the whole combat style and layout.
  8. Apr 26, 2014
    It's one of the best game, in which I played.
    Graphics very good for that year.
    Story not so good, but and no so bad.
    And amazing game-play! It's action!..
    I was gamed in many games, but this game one of my favorite!
  9. Dec 29, 2013
    Best WW2 FPS ever made.
    ..............................................................................................................................
  10. Nov 10, 2013
    A classic. Can't say much about the multiplayer as I haven't spent a lot of time on it, but the campaign was almost infinitely long by today's standards and kept the player entertained and wanting more throughout. I would even recommend it today to someone who wants to enjoy a thrilling long FPS story.
  11. Oct 25, 2013
    Hailed as a masterpiece, polished to perfection. Return to Castle Wolfenstein took the world by storm. And was one of the biggest influences that put Call of Duty on the map. An first person shooter game that got it all right. Keep in mind this is an 2001 year game. Powered by the Quake3 engine the movement and psychics were one of the best. Graphics for that time were also top of the top.Hailed as a masterpiece, polished to perfection. Return to Castle Wolfenstein took the world by storm. And was one of the biggest influences that put Call of Duty on the map. An first person shooter game that got it all right. Keep in mind this is an 2001 year game. Powered by the Quake3 engine the movement and psychics were one of the best. Graphics for that time were also top of the top. Single player was fantastic, since so many different environments, you always felt you were somewhere else. Godlike AI, Epic Music, Fearsome firepower, And Artistic style overall is everything that a fps player needed. Now the Multiplayer was something more. It just wasnt about player vs player, deathmatches or capturing the flags like most of the games at that time. It was team based objective mode. If you are a true FPS player. This is a must have game. Expand
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    Amazing game. I can back to Castle Wolfenstein even today. It's one of these games I can't forget and if you play this game, you won't forget also. Fighting Nazis isn't the only 1 thing we do playing this game. We can also get a bit scaried in a few moments and it made me suprised when I was playing it for the first time. I really wanna back to the past..... RTCW Forever.
  13. Aug 24, 2013
    I dont know why people just doesnt think about this game when they making games in wolfenstein universe? That in Machinegames want to make a new wolfenstein like a wolf3D, but RtCW was better and much more interesting. Some people talking this game has a great multyplayer ever. But where are you all now, all servers is empty! And why this people dont find SP part of game is gream?I dont know why people just doesnt think about this game when they making games in wolfenstein universe? That in Machinegames want to make a new wolfenstein like a wolf3D, but RtCW was better and much more interesting. Some people talking this game has a great multyplayer ever. But where are you all now, all servers is empty! And why this people dont find SP part of game is gream? Strange people... Best wolfenstein ever maded! Expand
  14. Mar 28, 2013
    the game's pacing is kind of... random (feels like a bridge between the old school and the new) and there are more crappy guns than good ones (not to mention all the ammo is shared), but I'm just grasping at flaws to give you a hard time. the game's engine is spot perfect, there's the right amount of weight behind your character and all your actions are fluid. gameplay harbors not a dullthe game's pacing is kind of... random (feels like a bridge between the old school and the new) and there are more crappy guns than good ones (not to mention all the ammo is shared), but I'm just grasping at flaws to give you a hard time. the game's engine is spot perfect, there's the right amount of weight behind your character and all your actions are fluid. gameplay harbors not a dull moment. you can get lost in the environments and enemy placement is so, so good that it's sometimes downright infuriating. the instant you get bored with any type of enemy, the game throws a new one at you. the scenario and levels are as random as the difficulty, but the devs set up an impressive campaign every mission. the way each mission goes through and builds up with the different objectives and the new enemies make it feel somewhat like playing a new game with the same engine. it sounds odd, but is seriously charming. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    This game offered some intense and fun gameplay with good game mechanics. Back in 2001 it had great graphics and gameplay I had never experienced before. Spent so many hours playing it that I managed to play from start to finish way over 30 times. I don't think there ever will be a game that in my opinion is better than this.
    But I dont recommend this game to any of the modern day CoD
    But I dont recommend this game to any of the modern day CoD kiddies as they think it sucks.
    A true classic.
  16. Feb 3, 2013
    Simply put, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the pinnacle of old-school first-person shooters. Fast, skill-based combat, clever enemy AI (for the time), and a great variety of weapons and enemies to use them on. While the graphics may be dated when compared to modern FPS games like Crysis 2, everything is still presentable and easy to forgive as you mow down Nazis with your lightningSimply put, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the pinnacle of old-school first-person shooters. Fast, skill-based combat, clever enemy AI (for the time), and a great variety of weapons and enemies to use them on. While the graphics may be dated when compared to modern FPS games like Crysis 2, everything is still presentable and easy to forgive as you mow down Nazis with your lightning (Tesla) gun. The controls are tight and easy to grasp, making shooting feel that much better. While I've never really thought much about plot in most Id games, RTCW actually does have a rather decent, though shallow, story that you'd expect from an 80's action movie. The Nazis have found the tomb of an ancient and evil knight and are planning on resurrecting him to turn the tide of the war. Catching on to this, the OSA sends in B.J. Blaskowicz, Nazi-killer extraordinaire, to investigate and ultimately put a stop to their plans. The game sends you to a variety of locations as you ultimately ruin the day of every inhuman son of a (this includes Nazis) you come across. You'll be fighting zombies in ancient crypts, putting down X-creatures in Deathshead's secret lab, and of course killing every Nazi that crosses your line of sight. There are (de)briefings between missions to give you a run down of what you're there for and clipboards that you can pick up to give you some insight on the events in the game. You'll have no shortage of weapons in this game. In true Id fashion, you'll have access to a plethora of guns ranging from the boring and practical MP40 to the lead-spewing instrument of concentrated whoop-ass, called the Venom minigun, which can gib any enemy held under it's sustained fire. By now, this game should be relatively cheap to buy. If you get the chance, and have always been curious about old-school shooters, try it out. Expand
  17. Dec 30, 2012
    classic game, must have for veterans. the single&multiplayer is much more better than half life! i hope id-software comes back from the rage disaster and make a great multiplayer-game like et or quake 3!
  18. Feb 25, 2012
    look at all the great reviews ! yes, this is my favorite video game of all time, and I have played it over like 10 times. Fighting the Nazis and their weapons of destruction has never been so realistic, and interesting! BJ Blaskowicz is the greatest. You get to see castles, airfields, radar installations, super soldiers, a secret base in norway, and various locations in Germany. Excellent game!
  19. Feb 14, 2012
    In 1992, Wolfenstein 3D was released. And it was amazing! Nobody had even seen graphics like that before, and it was the first FPS to ever feature a gun!
    Then, not long after the release of Wolf3D, id released a prequel, Spear of Destiny, and it was even more fun than before, with more intense boss fights than before.
    Some time in 2001, they rebooted it, and removed Hitler! IT'S NOT
    Some time in 2001, they rebooted it, and removed Hitler! IT'S NOT WOLFENSTEIN WITHOUT HITLER!
    And it is not supposed to be so bloody hard! And not supposed to be a stealth game! This is Wolfenstein!
  20. Feb 10, 2012
    RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN: Before you guys asking, yes this is a honest review from a gamer. Is it just me or there are some id staff that just post positive reviews with their real names lol :D. OK, let's start. The sequel to one of the most revolutionary FPS game Wolfenstein 3D. I know right? Well, it truly is! I didn't expect lots of things to happen in this game. I mean it's justRETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN: Before you guys asking, yes this is a honest review from a gamer. Is it just me or there are some id staff that just post positive reviews with their real names lol :D. OK, let's start. The sequel to one of the most revolutionary FPS game Wolfenstein 3D. I know right? Well, it truly is! I didn't expect lots of things to happen in this game. I mean it's just you fighting Nazis. This game is like a mixed bag of Sci-Fi and dark magic which I swear it scares the **** out of you. Yeah, unexpectedly, this game is pretty scary. I think these Nazi soldiers were starting to learn Black Magic and guess what, make Zombies. Yeah, there are zombies on this game and you guys have to get surprised by it. The gameplay is pretty good actually. The single player campaign is your typical MoH or CoD-like first person shooter. Only this time it's probably a little longer and it has secrets inside the game. So you guys should have some times and explore around for secrets. In recent Battlefield games, the Single Player campaign isn't that neccessary. But in this game, it's like the half of the game. You are ALMOST alone on this game (most of time yes, but sometimes a friend helps you) and there are soo many Nazis to take down. Things that I have to criticize is probably a fact that the game is very straight forward. So when you missed a secret, it's really a pain to backtrack a straightforward level. And it can gets boring sometimes. I never played multiplayer. Just because I'm too lazy anyway, Overall. RCTW is one of my most favorite game of all time. [9/10] "Amazing" Expand
  21. Dec 20, 2011
    Boring graphics, boring story plot, its makes me wonder if the developers thought the game was boring and out an equal amount of effort into it. If you see Return to Castle Wolfenstein on sale for $5 or $10, it might be worth buying.
  22. Dec 20, 2011
    This is the Game that convinced me that a computer game could be real entertainment. Even in 2012 this game can still hold its own with far more advanced games... why? Story, Story, Story!!! This is the only game that has ever creeped me out, and to this day when I replay it (which I do often) I still get a shiver down my back (try playing the 3rd chapter of the game in a dark houseThis is the Game that convinced me that a computer game could be real entertainment. Even in 2012 this game can still hold its own with far more advanced games... why? Story, Story, Story!!! This is the only game that has ever creeped me out, and to this day when I replay it (which I do often) I still get a shiver down my back (try playing the 3rd chapter of the game in a dark house with headphones late at night, and you will see what I mean). Unlike its sequel, RtCW is a very linear game with a little room to explore, and although most modern games have abandoned this approach, I think it can be the superior model simply because it lets the game tell a cohesive story. As for the multi player aspect... if you can still find a server that is hosting a game, you will have a hard time not to have fun. Yes the graphics are dated by today's standards... but although I may be biased, I simply dont notice them. I can count on one hand the number of games I have played all the way through more than once, but I can not count how many times I have played RtCW all the way through. Its an old friend that gives great joy. Pick it up cheep. Its more than worth it! Expand
  23. Jan 4, 2011
    I'm not sure why anyone would give this game a negative review, but it looks like a couple people showed up to do so. Sure it doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it is based on a classic, and it is fun to play. If you just want to sit back and immerse yourself into a not-so-realistic time when Nazi's were a threat to the free world, and you want a mindless shooter where youI'm not sure why anyone would give this game a negative review, but it looks like a couple people showed up to do so. Sure it doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it is based on a classic, and it is fun to play. If you just want to sit back and immerse yourself into a not-so-realistic time when Nazi's were a threat to the free world, and you want a mindless shooter where you just run and shoot anything that moves, this is the game for you. I certainly can't give it a perfect 10 because there are flaws and the game just isn't THAT great, but it IS definitely worth buying and playing through. Expand
  24. Dec 2, 2010
    I lost track of how many times I've played this game. It's an old friend that I like to revisit every couple of years. Yeah, sometimes it's corny, like a bad hollywood movie, but that's part of it's charm. Few games have got everything so nearly right, the pacing, the not too shabby AI, the graphics that still hold up today. It's a timeless masterpiece.
    Delly seems to be talking about
    Delly seems to be talking about some other game, and to give a game that actually plays a zero is simply irresponsible.

1. It took the core aspects of every good shooter, and made them great. [Jan 2002, p.64]
  2. The graphics are stunning. I can honestly say this one area where this game leaves all the rest in the dust.
    You’ll be glad to know that the flamethrower isn’t the only great weapon at your disposal. The venom, which is a devastatingly powerful chain-gun, is one of the most amazing guns I’ve ever had the pleasure to handle in a video game.