7.3

1. May 20, 2013
    Reus is not really a God-game, despite being advertised as such. You control up to four avatars that each have their own abilities; one can create oceans, another mountains, yet another one forests and the last one can create swamps. They also have abilities that allow you to "plant" resources in each zone.

When you start a new game you play the "planet" and get to move the avatars
    around, first creating water and then laying out forests, swamps and deserts using a combination of the aforementioned avatars. Once these zones are laid out, you place resources which will eventually draw the attention of human settlers When they have settled, you will have to micro-manage their resources and look for combinations that give the highest yield all the while not creating excesses or else the humans will go to war with one another.

The resource management is by far the most important part of this game and you can unlock new ways of combining and creating resources as you unlock achievements through playing.

The graphics and sounds are suitable to the type of game they have created, nothing special. On par with high quality Flash games, in fact.

The zooming in and out is annoying as there only seem to be two levels which either means you're zoomed all the way in or all the way out, It would have been better if the game was just fixed at a level somewhere inbetween.

I found the game to require a lot of reading and my gripe with Reus is that it's more about learning every possible combination of resources than it is about actually terraforming your own planet with mighty creatures. As Granoid put it, Reus is not a God-game but a puzzle game. With resource management.
  2. May 17, 2013
    Bland, boring and uninspired. There are good indie games out there that, while simple, provide a more fun gaming experience than mainstream games ever could. But Reus is certainly not among them. It combines the worst aspects of console mainstream gaming (obligatory tutorials, extreme simplicity, pointless repetition, to name a few) with an amount of depth you would come to expect from a Newgrounds flash game released in 2000. If buying games solely for the reason that they're produced by pretentious indie developers is your thing, then by all means buy Reus. Otherwise, don't bother with this piece of I gave it a 1/10 instead of 0/10 because the soundtrack is good, and some of the graphics are somewhat acceptable. It's an obvious moneygrab though which took the developers a month or two to create, at most. It saddens me that this is what PC gaming has devolved into, but it's the harsh cold reality. For a good laugh, check out the Abbey Games website (or forums), where they actually have the nerve to describe the development of this game as some kind of spiritual journey. In closing, I feel PC gaming is getting worse every year, and Reus is a prime example of why. Expand
  3. May 20, 2013
    Reus isn't a god game, it's a puzzle game. There is no freedom to design and manipulate a world, simply a collection of tiny villages that you have to fit limited numbers of resources into and learn the synergies. The graphics are terrible, really poor for a PC game they look like a cheap tablet game or a Flash game! To make matters worse the performance is atrocious. I have a high end gaming PC and yet Reus starts to get choppy and unresponsive with only 2-3 villages on a planet. At least Reus is cheap, but not cheap enough in my opinion. Expand
  4. May 20, 2013
    Bought into the hype, stopped playing after 30 min. I was excited by the dev blog videos on youtube and the positive reviews on this and other sites... turns out there is literally no content beyond what the short videos show. I guess the high scores here on metacritic were all posted by fanboys/friends of the developers. Really, 10/10 for this game? Is it the best game in existence? Just a big scam if you ask me, I'm gonna see if I can get Visa to refund the purchase. Collapse
  5. Jun 13, 2013
    Reus is a great idea crippled by it's interface.

This game has a lot going for it. The idea is sound you are the God of a planet who holds sway over four golems that live on the surface. Using the power of the golems, you can change the face of the planet and encourage or destroy the growth of life.

In terms of mechanics, the game is all about synergy placing various objects next
    to each other to boost their performance. Do a good job, and humans will arrive. From time to time, if your humans get too greedy, they will go to war. You then have to decide whether to let it play out or strike them all down with a biblical horror-show.

In terms of pros, it's fun watching your golems do their thing. The game offers up little challenges every now and then to encourage the development of your golems. Terra-forming was fun and the design of the game would be good for teaching kids about nature.

In terms of cons, the interface is horrible. You are constantly clicking on golems trying to figure out what is unlocked and what is not unlocked because each game is only 30 minutes long and each new game resets all the golems. There are many missed opportunities specifically in the water biomes in terms of what you can and can't build.

The game to play would be Reus 2 this game but with a bunch of enhancements and a whole new interface that allows the user to quickly find spells, creatures, synergies, and events. Until that game arrives, this one for me is a pass.
  6. May 21, 2013
    Simple puzzle game, no more. The game is very shallow and not a god game at all if you care to look beyond the empty promises put forth by the developers. Would have given it more points if they would have just advertised it as a simple puzzle game ($1,99 maybe?), right now I just feel ripped off.
  7. Aug 8, 2013
    One of the worst games I've ever played. Awful lack of direction, mixed with low quality game-play, and generally boring atmosphere makes for a terrible game. It is at best annoying. would never play again. Spoiler: It's awful.
  8. Dec 8, 2013
    I'm not going to refute the claims this game made. It's a God game, in as such that you quite literally play as 4 gods who make the earth and control fate indirectly. It's fairly well polished I suppose; the game mechanics are fairly functional and there aren't any notable glitches.

It's just... this feels like a free flash game I'd find on a website that promotes hobbyist game
    developers. I might be missing the point here, but the game just isn't very good. Specifically one of the core design mechanics hinges on finding the right combination of features to overcome certain situations so that you can unlock an achievement, but with a time limit forcing you to focus on a small number of achievements, you're forced to play through the exact same scenario. I could forgive this 2-3 times, but there's no way I'm going to play literally the same level 50 times and not feel peeved. Casual and grinding don't blend well for me.

Perhaps I could whine a bit when the timer feature caused one of my gods to fall asleep in the middle of a battle, where I had to wait quite a while for the god to get killed by what really was a situation. I see an analogy to basketball, when the clock runs out and the game is over, except your opponent gets to play on the court another minute and score points. It's too much of a fluid mechanic in the game for me to call it a bug, so I'm just going to call it bad design.

I probably went into this entirely the wrong way. I expected a PC game to, well, have a little more depth I suppose. If I had bought this for my cell phone, I suppose I'd be a little less upset. If you're looking for a far more casual gaming experience, then you'll be fine. But if you're expecting a shiny version of Populous or even the simulator parts of Act Raisers, look elsewhere.
  9. Dec 22, 2013
    When I first got the game, I thought it was going to be an average sandbox god-game. As I played it for four hours, I realized it was much more a puzzle game. You can't observe humanity very well because they don't evolve differently. The different "civilizations" that appear in the game are all the same and build the same bland, generic structures.

Overall, this game lost my interest
    extremely fast and I haven't touched it since I bought it. Expand
  10. Apr 30, 2014
    Strategy? I don't think so.
    This game boils down to memorizing nonsensical synergies and watching grass grow.
    LITERALLY watching grass grow. It takes at least 40 minutes to get the ball rolling. All you have to do in this game is place resources in a way they can synergize with each other.
    There isn't a single element of strategy in this game other than planning which achievements you
    want to farm.
    The strategy tag in this game completely fraudulent. Don't get this game even from a bundle.
  11. Jun 22, 2014
    It's just a bad game. There is no game-play. In my opinion, you spend a bit of time understand it and after that is just boring. On the positive, the game has nice art work which was the reason I bought it in the first place. I definitely regret buying it..
  12. May 20, 2013

1. Dec 16, 2013
    An interesting experiment, Reus is more a puzzle than a god-game. That might turn off some genre aficionados, but doesn't make it a bad game, far from it. If you can appreciate its hidden complexity and peculiar mechanics, Reus will definitely capture you.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    But the world simulation isn't particularly deep either, and juggling resources makes you feel more like a manager than a god. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 6, 2013
    Reus is a math puzzle dressed as a god sim. Do not mistake it for a laid-back economic strategy game - playing Reus is never a relaxing experience. It is too bad that some of the challenges crop up because of the poorly-designed UI.