7.3

1. May 17, 2013
    A really nice polished god games. Were you control four giants and have to help the humans out and sometimes destroy them. The graphic and music has a casual feeling to it, which is not a bad thing, since it fit's the game very well. The game-play starts out small, but just you wait. When you get farther into the game the difficulty will scale as well since new options are added and there are more things you will have to control and keep an eye on. And it's just 10$. Expand
  2. May 18, 2013
    Although 2D and cartoony this title literally reinvents genre of god games. Heart and vision of its authors shines courageously through it. That's what I appreciate the most in ANY game.
  3. May 20, 2013
    Really nice game, at first i was a bit sceptical about its depth, but after playing some time i still can't get enough of it. There is always something else to unlock and the later developments are quite challenging.
  4. May 17, 2013
    If you like god games, this is a rare gem. Its casual looks might make you think it's gameplay is equally casual. It's not. Reus sports tremendous depth and will keep you glued to the screen for hours on end. To top all that: it's just 10 bucks! No-brainer.
  5. May 18, 2013
    Would rank 3nd in my funnest indie game played after Minecraft then Don't Starve, Reus, a game where you can control giants to terraform [shape] the planet and help civilisation build up things. You have a 30 minute timer where you can unlock 60 minutes and 120 minutes to gain achievements! There is also a freeplay mode where you can play forever except you won't unlock new achievements. All in all I would recommend this game to all is at is very fun to play. Collapse
  6. May 18, 2013
    Very good god game! When you start playing, this might look like a simple game: however, Reus has a lot of strategy and depth in it. Makes you want to experiment with the symbioses and transmutations. The art is great and has lots of details the little people and animals are very cute. It's only $9,99 so I recommend to pick it up and try for yourself!
  7. May 19, 2013
    This game is a great deal for $9.99. Because the game limits what you can do in the first age, it feels kind of limited. However, once you start unlocking the upgrades, it becoming a lot more obvious the crazy amount of depth there is here. I am looking forward to more from this company.
  8. May 21, 2013
    This is a game that dares to be different. Did it pan out? Yes, very much so! It defines itself as a "god-game", but it's not quite like conventional god games. Where in black and white you could still directly interact with the real world, Reus offers no such option. All interactions with the world are done through controlling your giants (The "Reuzen"). Some people react negatively to this difference, but it's actually quite refreshing. This game is not a high action game, but more one of careful planning and discovery. If that's not your thing, this game is not for you.

It's quite clear that a *lot* of time was spent on this by a talented game designer. The mechanics are not quite anything I've come across and are consistent with each other (which, in the era of minigames is a rarity).

All that being said; The graphics are decent, with an excellent distinctive style. The game does feel as if it could work better on a Tablet, but with the current price tag (Low for a PC game, but high for a tablet game) I can understand the decision.

The only problem that I have with the game is that a lot of the options are locked in the first playtroughs of the game. This forces you to play the game over and over again, with only little changes every playtrough. I'd much rather see all the options being open at the start and letting users find all the options by themselves (and there are a *lot* of options!)
  9. May 19, 2013
    A load of fun, and really calls to my inner child with the giants. :D It feels almost like a dream I might have had. The gameplay is actually quite difficult and i find myself thinking about methods and tricks to get higher prosperity. As you continue to understand the game more and more, it becomes more rewarding. Love it. Stylish, and casual yet rewarding in a way that a brainless game like Bejeweled, peggle, or Zuma cannot approach. Expand
  10. May 20, 2013
    I've seen few games where you get to be god... This is one of the rare games you get to be a god, It also has some puzzle elements to it which are nice. The game is good if you are patient, But it should be on a mobile device instead of the PC. The game is falling a bit short on things that it could do like adding more giants, more land, more types of people and more options to do things. If they where going to make a second game for the PC They most likely should make it 3D that way it feels more like a game that would be on the PC... But really the only thing I didn't like is the damned desert people, they are crazy greedy and attack everything! Expand
  11. May 19, 2013
    Reus is a true gem of a game. You play as the god of a planet and effectively terriform this world with the help of 4 adorably calm guardians who each take on the aspect of nature. As you do so mankind settles and you and your guardians try to help mankind florish. The mechanics of terraforming are streamlined and sophisticated making it a joy to engage with. However the beauty of the game is in its styling. Calming music, gentle guardians and the act of growing nature settle you deeply into the role of caretaker of this planet, offering a uniquely soothing gameplay. I'm a big fan. Expand
  12. May 24, 2013
    i would consider myself a lazy person so i rarely write reviews but when it comes to this game i think the developers deserve it. i just can't understand why on earth there are some guys giving this game a 1/10 rating, coming up with lousy arguments (to shallow, no content)

as a ux-designer i have my very own little issues with this game (zooming is itchy, time-speed-up is missing
    etc.) but all in all this is a absolute remarkable game (especially considering it's abby game's first)

the art style (despite or even because "just 2D") fits nicely and is unique on can feel the love that has gone into it. game mechanics are good and it's NOT a game you dismiss after 30 mins of playing (and boy i own a lot of these ...)

i especially like the fact that you are never in direct control of any human or what they are going to do next (maybe even go crazy an go out for a god-hunt silly little ignorants :)

for me this a really nice metaphor on real life, and anyone complaining that therefore "this is not a true god game": i dare you to show me where the heck (any) god has directly intervened ever.

normally i would give it a 9/10 (just because of the interface issues) but the +1 is for all the flame-reviews which i think this game has not deserved.
  13. May 21, 2013
    Afraid it would be shallow and bore soon like many other indie games Abbey Games managed to make a challenging and addictive god game that kept me up into the night.

Reus' recipe is daring and innovative; Black & White god creatures, the Settler's supply chain system and FarmVille's farming. Put them in a blender, mix until little is left of those original ingredients and you'll find
    this low budget shake will be delicious. Expand
  14. Feb 3, 2014
    I love this game, I love everything about it, its colors, its gameplay, its menu, the concept... everything. For those of you looking for that indie gem that will captivate you for hours, this is it.
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    Saw this during the Steam Sale and said "WTF is this." Rolled the dice and was massively impressed. Basically, you play the part of the planet. You're totally barren and unable to sustain life. You control 4 different giants who all have different abilities. Your goal is to make the world liveable and grow the cities as big as you can (racking up the city and world score). Every city will produce a semi random special work with certain requirements. Upon completion, you get an ambassador to upgrade your giants skills/unlock new abilities. This is the real key to the game as higher level project require much more resources which cannot be obtained without upgrading resources (which start out locked and are unlocked by completing various achievements).

The challenge kicks in late in the game from the greed mechanic. When a city has more than 20 of any unused resource (threshold can be raised/lowered by various things like projects, awe, and danger) they gain greed. Too much greed and they'll start attacking other cities and even your giants. Late game they will start work on projects that give cities up to 500 unused resources (bigger gap faster greed accumulation). Losing a city can massively set back your score and cost you valuable achievements. The game is a balancing act of managing multiple cities and their needs while striving for ambassadors without letting the humans kill each other.

My one complaint comes from the 2 hour game mode (needed to unlock a lot of the high end achievements/resources). If you're really striving for absurd scores to get the best resources unlocked quickly, you spend a ton of time pausing and issuing orders to ensure you're maximizing building in the time limit. This can easily result in 4-5 games that I honestly found far less fun than the 30 & 60 min game modes.
  16. May 21, 2013
    Reus is something very fresh not only because it's trying to revive the godgame genre but also because it unites so much more genres.
    It has parts of Puzzle, Sandbox, Strategy but also Godgame. The graphics were (according to the developer) inspired by Indie-Hit The Binding of Isaac and the music is selfcomposed just for this game and you can really hear that. The sound fits and it
    improves the atmosphere you have when trying to control these "punny humans" with your neary allmighty giants. Expand
  17. May 21, 2013
    This is a game you keep playing even if you alreaddy "completed" it. You can allways set your self a new challenge and this is how I hope "Godus" will feel like playing.
    Highly recomend even if you are not the biggest fan of God-simulations. This is worth playing.
    I love the style and gameplay mecanism, but it NEEDS a bigger Planet and more time for the difrent eras
  18. Nov 19, 2013
    "Hmmm... another city, colony, or civilization management simulator..." this was the first thought about Reus. Well, that thought turned out to be wrong. I was skeptical at first, but soon enough Reus turned out to be one hell of a pleasant surprise!

While the game might look simplistic, childish or even shallow, because of the colorful visuals and the concept of giants ruling the
    world, I promise you this is not the case. Being a Civilization series veteran, I'm used to deep and complex games. While Reus might not compare with Civilization 5 or other games on that subject, it definitely provides a sophisticated enough mechanism to keep people like me interested, at least so far.

The idea in the game is to contribute to the development of the colonies by supplying resources and improvements, mainly plants, animals and minerals of different sorts. But in order to unlock the better, more advanced resources and improvements (called "aspects" in-game), you must explore and use the more basic options, or you can't progress and reach the advanced stuff. Needless to say, I guess, that the more advanced your giants are, the bigger and more prosperous colonies they can sustain, support and control. ...yes, control. Sometimes a colony gets greedy and arrogant and attacks your giants, and needs a good kick in the ass. In some cases it's even necessary to destroy a colony, if it looks hopeless.

Also, the humans in the colonies will try and develop projects of different sorts, and you're supposed to help them meet the required criteria (if you want that project to succeed). The trick is to choose the optimal combination of resources to supply to the colony, factoring in the resource's position, its level, and the level of synergy it might or might not have with other resources nearby, plus the project's criteria, of course. So far, most projects need specific amounts of either food, wealth or technology or any combination of them. Some projects, though, will also require one or more unusual conditions, such as winning a war with another colony or having another colony completely destroyed (either by going to war or by "divine intervention").

There are more aspects to the game, some of which I don't fully understand myself yet, but I promise to update if I feel l learn something important enough. For one, you have time limits, both for the "Era" type of game (what I've been playing so far) and for the projects. Obviously, it complicates things.

Anyway, to summarize this this game is way more complex and rewarding than it seems, or at least more than it seemed to me at first. If you like strategy and colony management, get it, definitely worth it!
  19. Jan 12, 2014
    Reus is such a well-designed game! There are three tutorials which go by quickly, teach you everything you need to know about the game without being heavy handed, and are quite fun. Then you're launched into the real game. At first, you can only play 30-minute sessions, but as you play, you unlock the ability to play 60-minute, then 120-minute sessions. Even after the tutorials, there are loads of things to unlock (which you unlock by trying different styles of play) and tons of things to learn. The game is very good about encouraging experimentation. Even the tutorials will say things like, "Experiment with X," so you learn without losing any sense of exploration or control.

The in-game achievements each correspond to a Steam achievement, and they all encourage different play styles. One might be, "End an era with only one village," and another might be, "End the game with six co-existant villages." If you get both of these achievements, you have played two very different games.

It's hard to explain what makes the game so fun. However, I know half the fun is in learning the game for yourself, so I won't try to spoil that for you. If you're looking for a short-ish game with infinite replay value, Reus is for you.
  20. May 26, 2013
    I never saw entire trailer-after first seconds I had to buy it. Melancholic gameplay and polished audiovideo make atmosphere for wine nights. Game is very simple with few mechanics which are hard to find for first.
  21. Jan 9, 2014
    A very enjoyable puzzle/god game. It manages to blend casual atmosphere and a surprising degree of strategy together seamlessly, while still remaining fun to play. The look and feel of the game is lovely. Reus manages to be both a challenging and relaxing experience simultaneously, and I recommend it highly.
  22. May 18, 2013

1. Dec 16, 2013
    An interesting experiment, Reus is more a puzzle than a god-game. That might turn off some genre aficionados, but doesn't make it a bad game, far from it. If you can appreciate its hidden complexity and peculiar mechanics, Reus will definitely capture you.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    But the world simulation isn't particularly deep either, and juggling resources makes you feel more like a manager than a god. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 6, 2013
    Reus is a math puzzle dressed as a god sim. Do not mistake it for a laid-back economic strategy game - playing Reus is never a relaxing experience. It is too bad that some of the challenges crop up because of the poorly-designed UI.