Rift PC

7.3

1. Jan 27, 2016
    By now, Rift is no longer new. It is also now free-to-play. My experiences are based on its current form, as I didn't play it in the past.

For almost ten years now, I've sifted through multiple MMORPGs, from Final Fantasy XI, to Everquest, to WoW, to Shaia, to Lord of the Rings Online, to Wildstar, to Aion and Tera (neither of which I enjoyed much). I've tried almost every MMO under the sun that I can possibly think of, and if I haven't tried it, it's because of a rumor that the game was "pay to win" and I didn't wish to be sucked into that.
    Of all MMOs, WoW took the cake for me. Until... it didn't anymore. As time went by, WoW has sunk into a cesspool of awful design choices, awful communities, and awful repetition. The problem was that I like being part of a big world with lots of people, so I wanted to find a new MMO to play.
    After finding out that Lord of the Rings was not my cup of tea after they wanted to charge me for leveling zones past level 30, I quit that. Then I took a look at Rift, saw it was free-to-play (like most non-WoW MMOs these days), downloaded it and played it. My heart was captured almost instantly.

Rift is most DEFINITELY a WoW clone... but in the most amazing way. It takes all of the dumb BS that WoW does wrong and turns it into a glistening diamond of improvement. The UI, the auction house, the talent trees (which are actual trees instead of those weird and pointless talent... cubes that Blizzard thought was cool all of a sudden), the crafting, the quests, and exchange of "dungeons" for one continuous "instant adventure" which starts as soon as you queue and ends whenever the hell you want it to (and gives a TON of experience and gold), it seems that Rift was already WoW 2.0 to me. As I looked at the AH and saw that it showed the popularity of an item I'm about to sell, I screamed, "WHY ISN'T WOW DOING THIS?!" (without addons, people)

Am I bitter about WoW's terrible decline into swirling muck? No. I walked away from it without a care in the world. While I don't intend to come back to it, I did want to quench my MMO thirst. Rift accomplished that in ways other MMOs weren't doing it for me.

However, the game isn't without its flaws, though to me, they aren't severe enough to make the game unplayable. Since the game is free-to-play, you must make a real life purchase in the in-game store with credits in order to sell things on the AH (you can still buy things). Okay, that put me off a tiny bit, but I love collecting things, so I knew it was only a matter of time before I purchased something from the store. I eventually did, and not only got AH access, but Loyalty points, which included giving me some free stuff for my contribution to the game. That was pretty cool. You don't have to spend a lot of money on credits to get AH access. You could just spend a few bucks on some Minion cards.

The game gives you a chest every ten levels with some awesome gear and possibly a few other things (I've gotten two free mounts so far of increasing speeds). Regardless of what server you're on, crafting and materials can still be profitable. The community, while not always mature (or tolerable), is also not as toxic as WoW's. Guilds still exist and they still recruit. They try to recruit me constantly. Whether or not they do anything special is left to interpretation, and I'll only know after joining a substantial one.

The grind to max level isn't terrible with Instant Adventure, which is basically one continuous dungeon queue, but rather than get placed in dungeons, it throws you into an open questing zone. Your group of 20-something people are tasked with killing a number of enemies or gathering things, then murdering a boss. These instances give awesome experience, and I got to level 50 this way, as the questing zones were proving to be painfully slow.

By now, I believe the max level is 65. There are raids in existence. I haven't tried them yet, but people still do them. I don't know how many more expansions will be released, but I hope there's more.

There is a Patron subscription, but it's totally optional. The game isn't pay-to-win at all. There's wardrobe customization as well. Instant travel between discovered ports. Varieties of mounts of many speeds. I really can't think of a better game to replace WoW, or any other MMO, really. While some things could use some work, overall, the game is worthy of my time, and if I feel like spending it, my money.
  2. Mar 18, 2015
    I believe Rift is the game for users who are looking for playing freely mmorpg games. Rift is one of the kind free to play games that it is no need to pay to play as good as a premium player! Exept from the cool graphics and gameplay that its has. Rift should make its pvp system more attractive.
  3. Dec 31, 2014
    Rift. Just... Wow. Exactly! "W.O.W" much like the game "World of war craft" (WOW) they have been able to produce an amazing mmo rpg, only rift didn't ruin it with childish games. Although it's free to play, don't let this from stopping you from trying this classic game out. In this mmo rpg there are 2 teams: the guardians and the deviants. Each with their special abilities and forgivableRift. Just... Wow. Exactly! "W.O.W" much like the game "World of war craft" (WOW) they have been able to produce an amazing mmo rpg, only rift didn't ruin it with childish games. Although it's free to play, don't let this from stopping you from trying this classic game out. In this mmo rpg there are 2 teams: the guardians and the deviants. Each with their special abilities and forgivable graphics for races. With outstanding class choices, it's virtually impossible to copy another class build! Often miss placed with wow rip offs, it's still has the special rift features that not another game has yet to provide. Although this game is in my top 10, it still hasn't met my credentials for 10 stars. Thus i gave it 8. Expand
  4. Sep 10, 2014
    Well I really like this one, I know some may say this is a clone of WoW and War-hammer but I've never played a game so polished and bug free in like years. First is just awesome how I can change from a role to another with just a click. pvp pretty balanced and the group system for the world events is perfect, there's no need to beg for a group in world chat just get to the area and use theWell I really like this one, I know some may say this is a clone of WoW and War-hammer but I've never played a game so polished and bug free in like years. First is just awesome how I can change from a role to another with just a click. pvp pretty balanced and the group system for the world events is perfect, there's no need to beg for a group in world chat just get to the area and use the public group option its so easy. Yeah I know it can get a bit grindy later on but there's always warfronts and instance adventures that provide a good amount of exp, currencies and materials for crafting. All I can say Rift is a finished work Expand
  5. Aug 15, 2014
    Rift is a very good MMORPG, one of my favorites alongside Star Wars: The Old Republic, everything looks nice, it's optimised pretty well and the class balancing is OK, like SWTOR, but some classes are a mile ahead at PVP compared to others, just like that flipping Jedi Shadow in SWTOR, always annoying my gunslinger... Anyway, Another thing about the game is that it's very enjoyable toRift is a very good MMORPG, one of my favorites alongside Star Wars: The Old Republic, everything looks nice, it's optimised pretty well and the class balancing is OK, like SWTOR, but some classes are a mile ahead at PVP compared to others, just like that flipping Jedi Shadow in SWTOR, always annoying my gunslinger... Anyway, Another thing about the game is that it's very enjoyable to play, the only problem is the difficulty of the game, sometimes it seems like I can just spam my main attack and get through the rift unscathed, as there's normally about 500 other players by the rifts, all spamming their main attacks. It would be a lot better if there was an advanced difficulty, where you gain XP faster but have less health and attack power. Expand
  6. Apr 17, 2014
    is the best game mmorpg I've played, the gameplay is pretty good and is a bit addictive. very very good. recommend ,Rift is visually stunning, beautiful textures and effects. Revolutionary game play. This takes the best of other MMOs and makes it its own in a unique and fluid way. I've been with this game since day one of closed beta. Do not let WoW humpers fool you!
  7. Mar 28, 2014
    Average MMO, yet highly likable and polished.

I first played RIFT at beta and early release before going back to my regular MMO of the time. I've been without a regular MMO and despite waiting for elder scrolls, most of my friends are on RIFT. In short, RIFT was 'something to do'. However. RIFT has the unique advantage of having an entirely original world, base, and story. At first
    Average MMO, yet highly likable and polished.

RIFT has the unique advantage of having an entirely original world, base, and story. At first glance the game world doesn't have the glamour and lore of a game such as LOTRO or SWTOR, but RIFT doesn't lack in quality.

The content is very versatile and available from level 1 to cap. Low level instances are fun, higher level players can scale down to do content. The main concept of the game, the rifts, are random and open. As hordes of monsters enter the landscape, a global quest, shared by all appears for that area. Players have to defeat invaders and aid each other to close the rifts and defeat the bosses. Not only is this fun, it has the ingenious advantage of encouraging group play without being forced or non existent.

The thing that impressed me the most this second time round of trying RIFT was the number of players in the starting and low level areas, in short, they are packed. Other games are devoid of players upto cap level areas, RIFT is populated throughout and the level scaling plays a great part in this.

The character skill trees are extensive and work well, there is plenty of choice for building the role you want.

The RIFT store is accessible by a small icon among the usual cluster of buttons for various menus you expect to see on the UI, it is not forced in anyway and functional. The reason I mention the store is for the way it entirely prevents gold selling. Players can buy a barter item for points which typically sells for a large amount of in game currency, not exactly my cup of tea however no gold sellers is a plus for an MMO.

RIFT is well worth playing, and free to play.
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    I have spent countless hours playing this game, mostly levelling, I did some dungeons and PvP too. Despite being accused of copying WoW I found many things in this game very refreshing. It has a unique atmosphere, which is one of the most important factors for me. Despite being an MMO it is quite immersive too. I also like character creation and some of the questlines aren't that bad. OneI have spent countless hours playing this game, mostly levelling, I did some dungeons and PvP too. Despite being accused of copying WoW I found many things in this game very refreshing. It has a unique atmosphere, which is one of the most important factors for me. Despite being an MMO it is quite immersive too. I also like character creation and some of the questlines aren't that bad. One of the flwas is however repetitive quest design. There is too much of the same quests. Even though the good potential is there, the later questing experience feels very generic at time. But, overall, the game is pretty solid and Trion knows well what it is doing. First few weeks after launch I was completely addicted to this game and the experience was blast! The game is still very good, I spent few weeks in it a year ago. Good stuff. Expand
  9. Jan 28, 2014
    This is a great MMO. If you are not questing, you are fighting to close Rifts with easily joinable public raid groups. If you’re not closing Rifts, you are fighting pitch-battles against Rift armies trying to get a foothold in the world. If you are not fighting Rift armies you are fighting against Rift force fortresses that have been constructed by unchecked armies that emerged fromThis is a great MMO. If you are not questing, you are fighting to close Rifts with easily joinable public raid groups. If you’re not closing Rifts, you are fighting pitch-battles against Rift armies trying to get a foothold in the world. If you are not fighting Rift armies you are fighting against Rift force fortresses that have been constructed by unchecked armies that emerged from unchecked Rifts. The world actually changes and progresses in response to play action or inaction. Love it! The crafting system is amazing, the professions keep you busy and the graphics are fantastic. Seriously, no other MMO has every kept me so engaged for so long. I just took out Patron Status (I am now a subscriber) and a game needs to be very good for me to do that. Also, it’s quite cheap and flexible. A month costs less than $12AU. Really worth checking out. Head and shoulders above other MMOs and I have played many. Oh, and it’s finished. Yep, it’s a working game in which I have been forced to endure 0 (zero) bugs. I am still trying to finish the first FlashPoint in Star Wars Old Republic due to an end mission crash more than a year after trying the game and here is a fully tested and functional MMO. This game is what professionalism is all about. The Help Desk got back to me regarding an account question (my fault) in less than two hours, the community is amazingly helpful and the game is just plain fun. Get this game. Get it now. :) Expand
  10. Jan 22, 2014
    Great game! It's hard to find a game that has many interesting features such as RIFT. RIFT isn't just a game that relies awesome graphics, but also provide a new MMO gaming experience. Unfortunately, the use of 'play & quest' system sometimes makes the player feel bored.
  11. Dec 30, 2013
    I actually have really enjoyed this game. It offers a lot of different ways to level up and group up with people to keep the action going. The class combinations allows for a lot of customization and for a F2P game I haven't found any handicaps for playing free.
  12. Dec 15, 2013
    Rift's class system is amazing. The interface, the graphics, everything technical in this game is smooth and well designed. The only thing that's not so is the writing and quests. They handle f2p really well in this game too. It's well worth playing.
  13. Nov 14, 2013
    I have been playing this game since Beta. I took a long break, tried SWG, played MWO and dodged into and out of Planetside and a few other games over the years. The interesting thing is that SWG players were excited that they often had 200 players on at one time. I have seen RIFT remain a solid game throughout, despite ups and downs. The content is constantly refreshed, and they haven'tI have been playing this game since Beta. I took a long break, tried SWG, played MWO and dodged into and out of Planetside and a few other games over the years. The interesting thing is that SWG players were excited that they often had 200 players on at one time. I have seen RIFT remain a solid game throughout, despite ups and downs. The content is constantly refreshed, and they haven't trashed the game like WOW did when they "destroyed" the game. I never got into it after they "destroyed" it. I had 5 level 60 characters over there I abandoned because I didn't like the abrupt change in the game world. It wasn't interesting or enjoyable. Rift destroys parts of it's world all the time with the Rifts. This is a better way because you can still have the familiar which makes you feel like you are home, while still having threat, change, and fast group sessions all in one. Expand
  14. Sep 4, 2013
    When I first time tried rift, my reactions was like "meh, another WoW copy". Anyway, somehow I had enough patience to level up my character to maximum level after that, I never regret that I did it!

First of all., rift is completely different game than Wow. Talent system (soul system in rift) has been taking whole new level. Every 4 class haves several "souls" which are like talent trees (there is like 7+ soul per calss) and you can use 3 soul at the same time, for example: You can make your mage to be, warlock, chloromancer and necromancer at the same time! Soul system works great and its definitely one of the best things in rift.

Also there is plenty of raids in rift, hard raids and then easy raids something for everyone. Anyway, since storm legion came, people havent actually done old raids... Everyone is focusing on the new ones and that is such a shame for a new players.

Rift came few months ago f2p mmorpg, so if you want to try and enjoy every aspect of this game go on their website and download it. No more trials. Of course there is people who thinks that game is ruined now since there is coming huge flood of casual gamers, but there is still hardcore guilds.

Now lets talk littlebit about how it runs on my computer. In my computer it doesnt run very well, I got pretty old computer. Game is pretty heavy to run, so you need good computer to run it ultra.

I could write alot of rift, but Ill let you guys try it and decide do you like it or not. Sometimes its better to try it, than read reviews. I highly recommend rift for everyone casual, semi hardcore and hardcore players. Theres is alot stuff to explore and most probably, you who are reading this will like it
  15. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is exceptional, and has been since the launch several years ago. The biggest problem RIFT faced was largely due to its relatively small playerbase, but with their new Free To Play model no longer requiring a subscription, players are finally beginning to flood back into the game. The graphical quality is exceptional for any game, especially an MMO, rifts and raid rifts keepThis game is exceptional, and has been since the launch several years ago. The biggest problem RIFT faced was largely due to its relatively small playerbase, but with their new Free To Play model no longer requiring a subscription, players are finally beginning to flood back into the game. The graphical quality is exceptional for any game, especially an MMO, rifts and raid rifts keep players out in the world on a regular basis, the ability to "mentor" your character's level down to be able to group with friends of lower levels (and still gain experience) is something sorely needed in other games, and the content at end game is wonderful. Their ascended soul "talent" system allows for hundreds of possibilities and plenty of customization, but they also have pre-determined callings that new players can use, so the system isn't too intimidating. Dimensions (player&guild housing) are a great feature, where players can spend just weeks of their life building their own masterpieces. Being a long-time World of Warcraft veteran, RIFT has been a great game that I've been playing for some time now, and hope to see the game continue to improve in the future as the playerbase grows.

My only criticisms are relatively minor. First, guilds and player interaction are not at all limited by your choice in faction. Guardians and Defiant alike can group up to do rifts and raids and instanced content, which really breaks a level of immersion for me, personally. While the system as it is does have its advantages, such as being able to play with all of your friends on a realm however you want, it almost makes the entire Guardian/Defiant story arc feel fake. PvP is definitely a significant aspect of the game, but unless you play on a PvP server, world PvP is not only rare, but it feels like it is pretty much downright discouraged. Secondly, questing is not really prevalent, and is entirely unnecessary to level once you can have access to Dungeons and Instant Adventures, which grant much more experience in a similar period of time. I'd like to see questing not forced on the player, certainly, but it feels somewhat trivialized. Lastly, I would like to see Instant Adventures available in every zone in the old world. As it stands, only about half of the zones have IAs, and it'd be nice to see them more prevalent.

All in all, I give the game a 9 out of 10. Always room for improvement, but RIFT is, in my opinion, by and large the best MMORPG available on the market today, and I'm excited to see what's in store for the future.
  16. Feb 8, 2013
    Very good mmorpg compared to the competition, the rift mechanic is great, dungeons are great and everything is smooth. For some reason i have really enjoyed the quests too, they seem better written than your average mmorpg quests. The thing which drags it down, is the pvp, but since i'm not too interested in it, i don't really care.
  17. Nov 18, 2012
    So, most people would compare this game to World of Warcraft. A few things about the comparison, while it is accurate, it is not a fair comparison. Rift has a basic 4 class, multiple mix-and-match spec system, and from what I can tell was still pretty rough going during the initial release. In addition to the former there is the fact that World of Warcraft, from what I know about VanillaSo, most people would compare this game to World of Warcraft. A few things about the comparison, while it is accurate, it is not a fair comparison. Rift has a basic 4 class, multiple mix-and-match spec system, and from what I can tell was still pretty rough going during the initial release. In addition to the former there is the fact that World of Warcraft, from what I know about Vanilla WoW, was pretty rough going and somewhat brutal or confusing at first with almost no way for people to really know where they were going except by reading the information text, besides the similarities in overall gameplay and base/original design of the game vs WoW, overall Rift is fairly good and as of right now the game is roughly as good if not better than WoW to date. I highly recommend you check it out if you are not happy with the current state of World of Warcraft and would like a new challenge and slight change in pace. Expand
  18. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is a lot of fun, my only problem(initially) was I had a old PC that could barely play it.
    Got a new PC and this game is absolutely gorgeous and Plays great! Rift Events are a blast and the Dungeons are unique and interesting! Purchase this title! you wont regret it
  19. Jul 22, 2012
    I'm not sure MMO's can really get any better than this. The game is really well refined, constantly updated and new content comes out every couple of months rather than semi-yearly. With Rift 1.9 done and new Xpac coming next Trion has done a great job of cleaning up some of the previously mentioned rough edges. Like other MMOs, nothing is perfect, but I find Rift to be an amazingI'm not sure MMO's can really get any better than this. The game is really well refined, constantly updated and new content comes out every couple of months rather than semi-yearly. With Rift 1.9 done and new Xpac coming next Trion has done a great job of cleaning up some of the previously mentioned rough edges. Like other MMOs, nothing is perfect, but I find Rift to be an amazing breath of fresh ear with a community that reminds me of WoW during the TBC days. The new Instant Adventures for all levels and Mentor system is just icing on the cake if questing isn't your cup of tea! Expand
  20. May 17, 2012
    Rift is a fantastic MMO. Great graphics, beautiful and detailed landscapes. Trion is an amazing development company that truly gives players there sub's worth. However I felt there were some downs to the game(your opinion may vary). Personally I felt the story was bland and boring, and didn't do a good job of pulling me into the story. Another dislike was how the classes lacked anyRift is a fantastic MMO. Great graphics, beautiful and detailed landscapes. Trion is an amazing development company that truly gives players there sub's worth. However I felt there were some downs to the game(your opinion may vary). Personally I felt the story was bland and boring, and didn't do a good job of pulling me into the story. Another dislike was how the classes lacked any unique mechanics, and many skill trees seemed to be very close to wow skill trees. Also no real open pvp(rvr style) was a downer. That being said, the game play and rifts were fun. Expand
  21. Apr 28, 2012
    I love this game I have played it for almost a year now, there is so much to do and with all the new things Trion comes out with you wont stay down long! Rifts, raiding, 20 mans, 10 mans, 5 man dungeons! its just a great game i really do love it.
  22. Apr 21, 2012
    This game is basically a WoW clone, but a very good one. It's fun progressing through the game, and I enjoyed the dynamics that the rifts brought to the table. I have played each class extensively, and they all work well, although PVP tends to be unbalanced (with different classes taking turns being way OP). I especially enjoyed playing as a Chloromancer, as it allowed me to play a typeThis game is basically a WoW clone, but a very good one. It's fun progressing through the game, and I enjoyed the dynamics that the rifts brought to the table. I have played each class extensively, and they all work well, although PVP tends to be unbalanced (with different classes taking turns being way OP). I especially enjoyed playing as a Chloromancer, as it allowed me to play a type of role that felt fresh and a little bit innovative. The problem with Rift, unfortunately, is the end game. It quickly becomes a boring grind, where you end up doing fairly tedious things over and over again. PVP in the same battlegrounds. Do the same daily quests. Run the same instances. You know the drill, and in Rift, the drill doesn't have the staying power that I was hoping for. Expand
  23. Apr 7, 2012
    Great graphics, great storyline, great gameplay!
    Absolutely fantastic MMO i ever played, you guys would really love this baby, if you ever played MMO before then i know that this will the best MMO u ever play :)
  24. Mar 12, 2012
    Rift is definitely a suggestion for an MMO I would give to my friends. I feel that Rift has very nice graphics and smooth gameplay, there is always something to do and it has decent playerbase.
  25. Mar 2, 2012
    Currently the best subscription based MMO on the market hands down. Customer support second to none and developers who actually passionate about their product. It's nice to see the decisions made for the game aren't done by the accounts. AKA micro transactions. Free transfers, mobile APP etc etc.
  26. Jan 4, 2012
    Coming from EQ, DAoC, Warhammer, and WoW, this game seems to be a mixture of the best features from all of those games blended into one. The graphics look great on any system, but if you have a high-end rig, it really looks beautiful. It has been awhile since a MMO has sucked me in like RIFT has. I highly recommend it to gaming vets and newcomers alike. Give it a chance, you might like it.
  27. Jan 1, 2012
    I'll tell you what, after playing SWTOR this game feels like the most innovative game in the universe. Seriously, good lord. So anyway, this game is basically a cookie cutter theme park mmo, but it's probably the most stream lined and polished one I've played. The rifts are the gimmick of this game and they are pretty fun, but can get a little annoying at times. Still, it's a niceI'll tell you what, after playing SWTOR this game feels like the most innovative game in the universe. Seriously, good lord. So anyway, this game is basically a cookie cutter theme park mmo, but it's probably the most stream lined and polished one I've played. The rifts are the gimmick of this game and they are pretty fun, but can get a little annoying at times. Still, it's a nice addition. The best thing about this game - the developers. Crazy thing I know, but it's true. They pump out INSANE amounts of content, easily more than double or triple most other mmo companies, and it's not just crap content. I have a lot of respect for a company like this, and they address what players ask for.

In general the game has a lot of nice features: great UI, rifts and zone events are awesome, constant world events, collection system, nice exploration carrots like puzzles and so forth, robust achievement system with rewards, alternate advancement system, nice realistic graphics, world full of immersion with npc chatter and scripted activities, swimming, day / night, weather, creatures, etc (if you've played SWTOR you've seen the exact opposite of world immersion). The game does have negatives though like only 1 starter zone each, minimal races to choose from and they are all humanoid, lacking pvp, generic quest types, typical end game mechanics of raid or pvp, generic questing, smallish community, etc.
  28. Dec 30, 2011
    Rift is a fantastic MMO. They just added a whole new area to the world called Ember Island and have plans to to bring another area in called the Planetouched Wilds! This is big stuff and they are not even expansions this monthly updates. You don't get that with WOW. This game has it all check it out!
  29. Dec 22, 2011
    Rift is an excellent game for those who arent into a kid game like WoW. Where WoW dumbs down class systems Rift went the opposite way of creating a very innovative way of allowing you to do what you want. In terms of PVE and PVP content you will find it is very generic but it does it well. The game is truley beautiful in terms of graphics but I believe this Realism graphics does not ageRift is an excellent game for those who arent into a kid game like WoW. Where WoW dumbs down class systems Rift went the opposite way of creating a very innovative way of allowing you to do what you want. In terms of PVE and PVP content you will find it is very generic but it does it well. The game is truley beautiful in terms of graphics but I believe this Realism graphics does not age well (oblivion, everquest 2) The most excellent MMO dev team in the world have developed this game, with massive content (PVE content only though) in every patch makes this game a PVE'ers heaven.

The only downside to Rift is the PVP, they do not cater to their PVP community by adding real open world PVP, PVP rifts do not count as they are in no terms a good way to supplement Warfronts in terms of pvp progression. They need a PVP world Zone with excellent rewards to pull in players. Great game overall, maxed out 3 characters and enjoyed every minute.
  30. Dec 3, 2011
    I decided to give this game a shot after becoming increasingly bored with WoW. After years of playing, I can say for me that that game had hit its peak for me.

Rift took a page from WoW's playbook with the UI and questing themes. However, it's also possible to completely avoid questing altogether with an okay lower level pvp system, a really good world event system and queues for a dungeon (at least for me) were easy and painless.

I completely disagree with the 'You like WoW, they do that same thing over here' being a factor on whether I like this game. I will make the observation that a vast number of WoW's additions to the game have not been groundbreaking or original in any way in and of themselves, up to and including their UI development which has been based largely on extremely popular MODs that were available for years. It seems like every day I log on, there's something new. The development team is working hard to constantly update content, world events, items, flavor and each release has come. The world events are much more involving, easy to locate, and on my server at least there is a healthy population of people every time there is one to complete it, even at lower levels. The game does a lot to encourage using it, with a large number of high level characters wherever you go. The leveling is perhaps a touch too fast, and perhaps with the next expansion that can be lowered. However there is planar leveling post-50 which is a nice way to have all those things you're doing at the endgame count for something lasting other than gear.

The class system is a point of contention and celebration at this point. While there are a seemingly limitless number of things you can do in any particular class, picking a good spec for the endgame is sometimes a daunting challenge.

I won't say that this is the 'OMG BEST GAME EVER' (yet), but after 9 months of playing the game I can say that it's holding up to the test of time for me. The content flows out steadily, the team isn't afraid to add new content (Planar Abilities, and the newer post-50 experience gains are compelling) and I don't find myself logging to to just stand around in a major city. Every patch is bringing something new to the game, and it's fun to log on and find out what Rift has been up to!

1. Nov 29, 2011
    There have been obvious comparisons made to WoW, with some even going as far as calling it a clone. But what makes Rift so special is that it goes out of its way to avoid falling into the same traps as the many that have fallen before it. It avoids the painful, mindnumbing grind, makes incremental patches everyday and listens intently to its rapidly growing community.
    It's true that the soul trees offer outstanding flexibility for character development and the rifts bring a welcome sense of insecurity into Telara's everyday life, but for some players this simply might not be enough.
  3. Jun 28, 2011
    Rift offers a really polished MMO experience but looks and feels much like a mix of many good MMOs like World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online and Warhammer Online.