7.3

1. Mar 22, 2011
    Thus far this has been a really solid and enjoyable MMO release. Immediately I loved the depth of the character customization and the beauty of the animations. The soul system is very deep and very rewarding. Rifts are a blast, and instances are suitably challenging yet puggable. Crafting is fun and feels much more rewarding than on WoW and games of its ilk, though it's not terribly different or unique. My only real complaints come from the environment, which can feel a tad dull at times. However, the design of dungeons is very, very beautiful from what I've seen thus far, which truthfully makes up for it. WoW is nearing it's popular death with the release of the lackluster Cataclysm expansion, and RIFT is here to take the reins for my MMO enjoyment. Expand
  2. Apr 3, 2011
    This game was fun from 1-50. Unfortunately 50 can be achieved within 5 days by an average person, even faster by a power gamer.

After hitting max level, it seemed like to play the game was forcing regurgitated content down my throat. Kill more rifts for more planarite. Do more of those same dungeons you have been doing with maybe 1 more boss and a new corner of the map. Keep doing these
    for, you guessed it, more currency to spend on items.

All told, the game feels like its solely based on grinding the same things over and over again for currency to spend for minor stat increases. This would not be so bad if the game was not able to be played in such a way that gets you to this boring point within a week.

In the end it just feels like nothing was done that was meaningless. The collection factor (the emotion you get after all that hard work on your character) just isnt there.

Plagued with the standard bugs most games has, coupled with awesome content (that unfortunately fizzles out after a month) means we have an awesome game here thats worth only playing until the subscription price kicks in.

If you want all your time and effort to mean something, Rift is not where you will want to turn.
  3. Apr 25, 2011
    WARNING: Same person who destroyed Warhammer Online - Adam Gershowitz - is in control of game balance here. Great game - up till "balance" patch 1.1, which destroyed a bunch of playstyles in a game which claims to promote versatility in how you can build your characters (this is now gone), and indicates future issues with how game "balance" will be handled. After this patch and the massive outcry from players, it has been revealed that the person responsible for game balance is the same person who destroyed Warhammer Online - Adam Gershowitz. Warning for all gamers intending on playing this game - with Adam in control of game balance. you can expect things to go very, very wrong very soon. Expand
  4. Apr 25, 2011
    I played the beta and this should have been a clear indicator of what was in store, but there was a group of gaming friends still interested in playing so I tagged along on release. Here it is a month later and I'm bored to tears of the end game content, fed up with repetitive key mashing for DPS and lackluster PVP. It was a great idea of Trion to learn from their peers in the gaming world, to simply create a frankenstein game that just mashed together parts of others is a bit weak though. The leveling was a series of 'quickly get to the yellow ring and kill everything, never mind WHY I'm doing it' that was simplistic and short lived (thankfully). You are rewarded at endgame with tedious dungeons littered with trash mobs, weak loot and the never ending quest for items with purple frames. Trion did add new class structure and features, but these are not enough to overlook the boring old shell of a game this is. It's environments are generic and cliche, its encounters are the same old formula and the story is lacking on so many levels (as well as utterly unimportant), They had the chance to make something amazing, and instead spit out a WoW clone. Expand
  5. May 5, 2011
    I'll be honest here - I was hoping for something a little more unique. Instead I just got World of WarhammerQuest. I can't complain about the game's stability and beauty, nor Trion's dedication to quality and customer service. However, you can count me out of this loop. I've run my last quest and /ignored my last griefer, because playing WoW again was not what I wanted.
  6. Jul 18, 2011
    Lacking in end-game at launch, but frequent live events are entertaining. Not a lot of new concepts, but the game play is still fun and above average.
  7. Jul 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a good few months now since the release of Rift and the flaws within it and the ineptitude, incompetence and sheer lack of experience by Trion in the MMO scene is so shockingly evident at this stage.

The PvP in the game and the state of it, is absolutely dire and has been since the start, with no effort from Trion to even show a modicum of change to set things right.

The instanced PvP (warfronts as they're called, similar to Wow's Battlegrounds) although fun for a while, get very boring and repetitive - I should know, my main character is Rank 6 prestige in pvp.

That boredom and repetitive nature of the warfronts (coupled with Trion inexplicably and inexcusably allowing premade groups to farm those that have joined the warfronts as solo puggers) makes your goal toward the higher ranks in pvp an absolute horrible grind - and after all that, there's nothing to aim for other than going back to those same warfronts to compete against those same premades again and again - zero fun.

In the latest patch (June 2011) 1.3 - Trion attempted to address the premades wrecking everyone else's fun in the warfronts by splitting the queue system, so premades had to play premades and the solo pug players could just enjoy the fun of the warfront and the balanced challenge that they bring without premades destroying it for everyone.
    Lo and behold though, not a week passed with that patch being implmented when Trion reverted on their change to the queue system and we're all back to square one.
    When the 1.3 patch first hit, the queue to get into a warfront if you were solo was instant, even in the early hours of the morning, instant queue, decent enough fun.
    When Trion reverted the change in the subsequent hotfix 5 - the queues have gone from instant to between 10 minutes to an hour or more, worse even outside of primetime hours.
    This was mainly due to players just giving up at this stage, having had enough of the incompetance shown by Trion and coupled with a large majority of players boycotting the warfronts or just quitting the game completely - it really is that bad and it really is that big of a deal. That Trion have failed miserably to even forsee this, shows how bad and inexperinced they are to the MMO scene and the contempt with which they view the majority of their own paying customers.

World pvp is almost non existent and that which does exist is baseless and tiresome. There's no goal to any open world pvp, no point and no fun. Trions response to this was to introduce some daily pve based quests, kill this mob, collect this stuff, lalala, oh and as your reward ? Here, have some free pvp favor and prestige points (WHAT THE HELL!!!).
    Oh, there was one daily quest which required you to kill members of the opposite faction - though the point of same on a pve server seems to be lost on Trion as that daily and none of the others auto flagged a person for pvp - seriously, face, palm, wall, head, bang, repeat...

From a PvE perspective, there's a bunch of 5 man dungeons which you will need to farm constantly (yawn...) to get plaques/tokens for Tier gear, most just skip the T1 dungeons and go straight for the T2's due to Trion making them so much easier in a previous patch - bad mistake. The Dungeons were fine as they were, they were hard, they were a challenge - now they're just another boring grind, something you have to do to get the gear to allow you progress your character for raiding purposes.

As for the Raids, they're a challenge at the start but generally, they're also fairly boring and lacklustre.

There is no real end game in Rift, there really isn't, no matter how many Trion shills will post otherwise on forums et all, there is no end game. At this moment in time in Rift, there is no point and nothing to aim for after you've hit 50, ran the required dungeons to gear up and got yourself into a decent raiding guild. Once you've done the raids a few times you're left wondering what the hell do you do now ? So you dabble in pvp maybe ? Oh no, no no no, just don't go there. I mean sure, you can throw a guild premade together maybe and steamroll all over a bunch of solo players - but honestly, how fun is that after a few times ? There's no competition, no fun, no challenge.

Rift had an awful lot of potential but alas, as always it seems the case these days, the developers themselves kill the game off before it's even had a chance to settle down to pull in the required amount of serious followers.

Don't bother with this game, don't waste your time. It's just another poor clone of Wow, badly implemented, badly supported and full of utter fail.
  8. Jul 21, 2011
    The hype was amazing. The graphics are amazing. In a few words, you get to level 30+ and you suddenly realise that everything is getting teadious. You find yourself grinding over and over again the same areas. The variety of souls that you pick to create your character skills unique in many ways, is all that was keeping me playing to be honest. You can level to 50 in 5 days. Pity, it could have been a wow killer. Expand
  9. Sep 25, 2011
    Disappointing game because it's really not about "rifts". It's about dungeons.. and lots of them. The way the game is sold is as an alternative to WoW but it's that only in the sense that fast food is dinner compared to a meat and potatoes meal. There is a TON of grinding for nothing but gear at endgame so if you were looking to escape from WoW because of that, you actually fell out of the frying pan into the fire. Rifts seem to be static loot pinatas that you whack every so often and coins for gear come out. Whack enough rifts and you get some really super average gear that isn't worth the time. the lower levels in this game are absolutely abandoned and if you start now, you won't be doing a lot of the huge boss rift invasions because of lack of interest from the community. most people are level 50 and play on alts which they are speedleveling to 50 to play with buddies, so noobs won't get the time of day. fanbois will say "my server is packed and we do stuff all the time" but that's everygame has one or three servers like that while the rest are dying. Rift has about 70 servers mothballed; not technically closed but not technically open neither. If you have a toon there, you can stay but if you start the game you won't even see the server on your list. There are plenty of folks who made homes on them only to have Trion shut them off from everyone else but you can transfer out. That ruined a lot of communities in the game and people quit. their sub rate is bargain basement (probably the lowest in the industry) due to falling subs so if you pay for a year in advance you can pay as little as $120. Pretty desperate but if it fills the game then good idea I guess. SWTOR and GW2 will be coming out soon (GW2 next year) so I'd play consoles until then like BF3, GoW3, Madden, etc and save the 120 bucks for the big event games coming like those. RIFT will probably be going FTP by next summer so holding off would be wise while they try to fix the awful PvP balancing and at least give people something to fight for as now it's just arenaball with no ball. World PvP is non-existant. The game has good things like hit a button and sell all your grey loot, decent graphics (not AoC or FFXIV worthy), and low price. But the replayability is awful because there are only TWO starting zones.. that's right.. two. For a mmo launching in 2011 that's lazy. The armors look horrible (do a Google search for Rift armor and you'll see) and they repeat like.. level 10, 20, 30, 40 etc. So if you find some epic gear at 50 it will have 50 stats but looks EXACTLY like level 30 gear. Again, LAZY DESIGN. It's hard to believe they spend 50 million dollars on this and five or six years development. They didnt even have guild banks at launch. The mounts are all the same that repeat like CE mount: plain turtle. World event mount: Green turtle. Achievement mount: White turtle. LAZY DESIGN. The lore is pretty bland and mundane; it inspires nothing. You dont feel a part of the world or like your fighting to keep mobs from invading.. it feels like your grinding for loot because the story is canned. The game was few bugs at launch but as it's gone on, it's gotten more buggy. Notsure how that happens but things just get broke. Maintainence is pretty much almost every day and for 20-30 minutes at a time but you can have several of those.. sometimes back to back which is annoying. Better way would be once a week for four hours and then done but the piecemeal work is upsetting. The community is made up of 600k people from WoW (or was) so it was kind of immature to start but now it's just plain nasty with one or two nice guilds telling trying to convince everyone new this isn't "their community" even though they play their game. Amazingly funny that. Anyways, to recap: WAIT FOR THE SUMMER WHEN RIFT GOES FTP as they already have a cash shop in the works from their other game that they will no doubt switch over because the population is dropping fast. if you have other games you've been wanting to try FTP now (Fallen Earth, DCUO, EQ2, LOTRO, AoC, WoW trail, Dragon Nest, Champs Online, Star Trek online) you'd be better off spending 10 or 15 bucks once or twice in there and be done with it. Expand
  10. Oct 7, 2011
    You're not going to kill WoW by copying it. The interface, talent trees, and professions etc all feel very WoW like, sure there are some minor additions and tweaks, but this is very much a game buy a company who wanted to go the safe route. Which is not surprising given the costs and time required to make a triple-a MMO, but to then try to go head to head with an 800 pound gorilla that is WoW and invite direct comparison in the ads was fool-hardy at the very least. I mean Warcraft has 20 years of story and lore development from it's origins as an RTS, you can't beat that. It's not a bad game, but it was never going to be a WoW killer. Trion should be congratulated on making a very polished game, and hopefully their future releases will start to veer off the path Blizzard created. Expand
  11. Oct 22, 2011
    Rift is a great MMORPG that follows the template of WoW but allowing you to completely customize the HUD.

It is a lot prettier then any MMO out there and is great for PvE with open parties (you can make them private) so questing is easy. Sadly PvP is lacking, it is all just ganking and separated by the factions (Guardian and Defiant...no PKing that tool stilling all your quest mobs...but
    you can just party with him and do it together Yay!)

It is enjoyable and worth the monthly fees. If want a refreshing change from WoW this would be a great game for you.
  12. Apr 16, 2012
    similar to wow, but still original... The way you can customize your character is far better than wow... Its random events like rift invasions do the game more exciting.
  13. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is a lot of fun, my only problem(initially) was I had a old PC that could barely play it.
    Got a new PC and this game is absolutely gorgeous and Plays great! Rift Events are a blast and the Dungeons are unique and interesting! Purchase this title! you wont regret it
  14. Oct 11, 2012
    This review is just Rift and the 1st 6 months from release. It was a fun and polished entry to the MMO market. It is a WoW-clone, no bones about it, but it was entertaining and better then the later xpacs of WoW. The class system was nice for the players, like myself, whom like versatility. I let my sub lapse after 6 months and moved on, however i enjoyed it enough, that with an upcoming Xpac on the horizon, I am considering re-subbing. Expand
  15. Sep 4, 2013
    When I first time tried rift, my reactions was like "meh, another WoW copy". Anyway, somehow I had enough patience to level up my character to maximum level after that, I never regret that I did it!

First of all., rift is completely different game than Wow. Talent system (soul system in rift) has been taking whole new level. Every 4 class haves several "souls" which are like talent
    trees (there is like 7+ soul per calss) and you can use 3 soul at the same time, for example: You can make your mage to be, warlock, chloromancer and necromancer at the same time! Soul system works great and its definitely one of the best things in rift.

Also there is plenty of raids in rift, hard raids and then easy raids something for everyone. Anyway, since storm legion came, people havent actually done old raids... Everyone is focusing on the new ones and that is such a shame for a new players.

Rift came few months ago f2p mmorpg, so if you want to try and enjoy every aspect of this game go on their website and download it. No more trials. Of course there is people who thinks that game is ruined now since there is coming huge flood of casual gamers, but there is still hardcore guilds.

Now lets talk littlebit about how it runs on my computer. In my computer it doesnt run very well, I got pretty old computer. Game is pretty heavy to run, so you need good computer to run it ultra.

I could write alot of rift, but Ill let you guys try it and decide do you like it or not. Sometimes its better to try it, than read reviews. I highly recommend rift for everyone casual, semi hardcore and hardcore players. Theres is alot stuff to explore and most probably, you who are reading this will like it
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    RIFT has a feel like WoW--I'm pretty sure it was designed that way. Starting areas for Guardians and Defiants are both interesting. Rifts were fun--at first After the starting areas, the game starts to bog down--leveling seems slow, and I for one got tired of fighting ghouls and ghosts and demons and zombies, or undead whatevers. Like some other games I've played, you have NO chance fighting anything much above your own level. C'mon, guys, you should at least have SOME chance at this Other players were friendly and helpful at first, then things degenerated into kill-fests with not much interaction. End-game content was geared at the Uber-characters(Twinks)--My 50 got Nowhere repeatedly (I -think- that was the highest level!)
    Lack of interesting things to fight made me leave. Too bad--Game showed promise.
  17. Sep 10, 2014
    Well I really like this one, I know some may say this is a clone of WoW and War-hammer but I've never played a game so polished and bug free in like years. First is just awesome how I can change from a role to another with just a click. pvp pretty balanced and the group system for the world events is perfect, there's no need to beg for a group in world chat just get to the area and use the public group option its so easy. Yeah I know it can get a bit grindy later on but there's always warfronts and instance adventures that provide a good amount of exp, currencies and materials for crafting. All I can say Rift is a finished work Expand
  18. Mar 1, 2011
    Rift is an excellent first mmo for anyone and a nice relief for WoW veterans. the class system is creative and lets you make a ton of different combinations. the rifts are a nice touch and to tell you the truth i didnt think i would care much for them. the rifts add a sense of urgency and unity in the community and offer decent rewards. the graphics in and outside of rifts are just short of top notch. extremely tiny bits of lags but other than that no technical problems to speak of. I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants all the good of a traditional mmo with a twist for fun Expand
  19. Apr 22, 2011
    Fantastic game with lot of fun. I feel like in 2004 when I discovered MMO games with everquest2. Lot of things to do : history quests, discovery, hidden stuff and quests, rifts, invasions, events, pvp, craft... I didn't had so much fun with MMO's since Eq2, si i recommend it to everybody who get bored with their actual game !
  20. Mar 6, 2011
    Loving this game. Whilst many of the mechanics are standard MMO mechanics (and let me be clear, most MMOs since Meridian have had similar mechanics (Everquest, UO, EQ2, etc.) the game is still very fun. The rifts add a fantastic dynamic and I find that I spend half my time running around defeating them and still leveling to boot. Definitely worth a pick up, but do us all a favour and play till at least level 20 before you decide it's not for you. As you progress in the game and explore the souls you realize how (in good ways) it differs from WoW. Expand
  21. Mar 5, 2011
    I admit, when I first started playing Rift in Beta 4 I wasn't too terribly impressed. Sure, the graphics were pretty good but the combat didn't really set my world on fire. But things have improved considerably since then and I'm now an active purchaser/subscriber. I've played WoW since 2004 and while it's too early to tell if Rift is a "better" game, I will say that it's certainly one of the first new MMOs to come along that feels complete with tons of stuff to do. The world is new and gorgeous, combat IS a lot of fun once you start gaining abilities, the soul system rocks, and the rift invasions are a ton of fun. My initial impressions of the rifts/invasions were that they might be gimmicky -- but they've yet to become a bore or tiresome. As others have yet, the quest system isn't anything amazing, but the rifts really do help break up the monotony of leveling. In fact, I would say it hasn't been monotonous at all!

Rift is an excellent game. For anyone to rate this game below a 7 hasn't really played it for any length of time OR is desperately wanting a next-gen MMO (which this isn't-- just an evolution of what we're familiar with). If you are a new player to WoW I would say you'd probably be happier staying with that. But if you're like me and have played WoW for years and have grown tired of its "same ol same ol'", then give Rift a try. I think you'll definitely enjoy your time in Telara.
  22. Mar 1, 2011
    Played in Beta and headstart. So far this game is best MMO out there in my opinion. Trying out different souls is fun.. I have been doing mostly warfronts, fighting rifts and dungeons. It is nonstop action. Lots of people to group with. Game has just launched, but everything is working smoothly. The questing does not feel like grinding, there is a good mix of stuff to do. The graphics are amazing. I've tried 3 different specs for healing on my cleric already and they are all different but fun in their own way. I got the digital deluxe one with the ingame items. It includes a bigger bag and a cool, double-headed turtle mount which you can use as soon as you get near a mailbox, can't remember exactly, but like level 9 maybe. It makes getting around a lot easier so get that one if you can. Expand
  23. Mar 2, 2011
    I have been playing MMOs for over a decade now and I wanted to address a couple of the negative reviewers: 1. For the person who thinks this is a dumbed down version of WoW, he couldn't be more wrong. Instead of one talent tree, you get three, the crafting system is silimar to WoW, but it has some options in it to make the items much more usable at your level. The UI system is one of the best that I have ever seen. It's very easily customizable and you can easily tailor it to your tastes.
    2. For the guy who complains about questing, leveling up, dungeons, raids and rifts... its an MMO!! That is what these games are played for! Holy crap, if you are going to complain about that, play a different game!

Seriously though, I've been playing World of Warcraft since its release and if there was ever a true WoW killer, this game is it. I picked it up very easily without even having to look at a manual and was instantly impressed by the spit and polish Trion Worlds put into their product. I highly recommend this game for anyone who is tired of playing World of Warcraft and wants something new.
  24. Mar 2, 2011
    Since I stopped playing WoW about year and a half now, been looking for new MMO to start with. I really dont care if the game is WoW ripoff or reminds me something "that I have done or seen befo.." What matters is HOW its done. I cant really be sure about the whole game yet cause leveled my character just to lvl 20. But.. I have absolutely fall in love with this game, its truly fabolous! I have been in headstart since beginning and its just good game. Everything works like a charm. You can feel the quality throught the game and of course after the time passes updates will fix problems. After you get out from your character starting area the fantasy world of Telara just suck you in with great graphx and sound design(wich are much superior when comparing to WoW). And after you become all the new things what there are in character development you will really starting to explore the fantasy world and feeling it! I just love searching artifacts and new places. Leveling is somehow more enjoyable than any mmo that I have played. Maybe this is because you char is not just a one "thing", it can be warrior and mage and you can test new abilities all the time and not get bored. First time I feel that I can truly decide what kind or type my playing style is. So I dont know wnything about this game endgame but the game I am playing know contains so much doing its almost overwhelming. You must fight Rifts, dungeons, explore, find artifacts, level and adjust your char and many many many things.. Hey but enough of this. Im really happy that after a couple fo years I can enjoy good MMO. Maybe its **** after three months or so but hell with it.. Im enjoying it right now!!! Expand
  25. Mar 5, 2011
    Lots of grass roots marketing fake reviews going on here in the user comments. Anyways, I love MMO's played Rift, nothing spectacular. It's your A typical MMO RPG. Not bad, but nothing new. If you are a Wow player, stick with Wow. Now if Rift goes free to play, it might be worth checking out.
  26. Mar 11, 2011
    This is a solid MMORPG. It fits into the genre and does not challenge the bounds of that genre in the least, while adding a modicum of innovation in terms of dynamic content that gives players a choice between different MMOs. The developers have produced a solid product. MMO's get better and stronger as time passes. Trion Worlds developers have shown an inclination to react and respond to issues and concerns in a much different way than has been addressed in other MMOs, improving on things in a timely and professional manner. The maturity of the game community and the opportunities that affords also provides a clear distinction from other MMOs. Nonetheless, if one is a fan of one type of MMO and expectations are not managed, such players will find little satisfaction with this game. Kudos to the Trion team. Hope things only get better from here. Expand
  27. Mar 11, 2011
    This could seriously be the best MMO Ive ever played, everything is running smoothly. The dynamic world with the rifts are wonderful. I got hooked during the beta, ordered the Collectors Edition and are 100% satisfied.
  28. Mar 16, 2011
    This MMO has had one of the most smooth launches in quite some time. The soul system is quite refreshing compared to some generic garbage that other MMO's put out. The public group system is a breath of fresh air as well, which makes grouping quite easy. This MMO takes past features from other games and incorporates them in, making the game extremely familiar from the get go. It may not be 100% original, but it does a great job non the less. Graphics are superb as well and the music is lively. I'd recommend this to anyone, whether you're new to the MMO scene or a veteran. Expand
  29. Mar 21, 2011
    Pretty game, but does nothing new for the genre. This would probably be a great game for those new to MMORPG's, but for vets it will probably feel like more of the same. What it did do was take some good elements from other MMO's and incorporated them. Control and UI wise, almost an exact match for World of Warcraft. Rifts are pretty much the same thing as public quests from Warhammer online. The multiple class/soul trees have been seen in Guild Wars. This game, along with all other MMO's just feels like it's trying to build on what's already out there but better, which it does do, but at the same time it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Expand
  30. Apr 8, 2011
    Without a doubt, the Rift launch has been the most polished mmorpg ever released. The wait 3-6 month rule does not apply here; Trion has built an amazing infrastructure. They listen to the player base, optimize their systems, and respond absurdly fast with updates. I'm enjoying the world, but be fully aware: Rift is a true genre game. If you are in any way burnt out on the mechanics of an established mmorpg, Rift will not re-awaken the passion. If you are looking for a beautiful new world to explore, and new class trees to master, this may be the game for your hobby.

Pros:
    -Seamless open gameworld, epic feel, no zoning!
    -Amazing class system lets you build the talents you want to play
    -AAA means all of the features work great: Dungeons, crafting, economy, battlegrounds...it's all here and all running
    -The graphics. This is the best looking zone-free game I've played. If you've got a good rig, you need to take a look at this game on ultra. Gorgeous.

Cons:
    -A new IP means no immediate tie to the world. Don't expect a quick emotional response to the world. The lore is deep and consistent though.
    -The music. I loved the soundtrack of WoW, AoC, and LotRO. Rift's is sadly forgettable.
    -PvP. The bg's in Rift are great fun if you're casual. If you're a hardcore pvp'er sorry to say this is not your game unless you like easy kills. -Community. It's still a new game, so the community has yet to settle down and get comfortable. I've seen good and bad, we'll see.
  31. Apr 17, 2011
    I've been playing Rift from the get go, and I really did not expect it to be that good. But the moment I stepped into Telara I was amazed at how much of a great game Rift is. Trion Wolrds really succeded at making a great mmo. Trion did not aim to make it original, but to make it simply better. I played WoW but I did not even get to the end game. I'm level 50 in Rift and i do say, I am having a blast. The PvP is a whole lot of OKay but i have never like pvp in anything. All in All Rift is a mmo even WoW fanboys can play. I suggest this game to everyone as it is an easy to play mmo. Expand
  32. May 26, 2011
    I enjoy this game for its fantastic character creation, skill specializations options, model artwork, and rift invasion concepts. I especially enjoyed the rift invasions because players generally band together for common battles outside of a dungeon or pvp. It's fun defending a settlement or city against a massive invasion with other players that would otherwise be roaming around doing their own thing. Rift includes this as well as all the other basic content you've known and come to love in other MMO's: good lore, pvp, guilds, etc.). I highly recommend giving it a shot. Expand
  33. May 24, 2011
    The Good:  A beautiful MMO that offers a vast set of customization options for the character creation as well as character advancement. Easy to pick up and learn for first-time MMO-ers. Allows the option of changing your character's party role (DPS, Healing, Tank, Support, CC) throughout the game and almost dynamically. A truly immersing story line driven by quests that make sense.

The Bad:  Public grouping system as it stands is a bit annoying. Gear could be a little more epic-looking. Not enough starting locations.

Final Verdict:  I have about 30 hours in on this game and I am still itching to play it every day. The graphics are great, the storyline is fun and enjoyable and the wide array of character options make it loads of fun to think about when I'm not playing. If you are an MMO fan or want to be, buy this game.
  34. Jun 9, 2011
    Despite the seemingly innovative rift system for dynamic content, I found that Rift was one of the least imaginative, most formulaic MMO I have experienced in some time. It looks gorgeous on a high-end PC, but the game has little substance. The setting isn't very immersive or memorable, and there is almost no attempt to provide any mission content beyond the bog standard "hunt X of Y" stuff. The game is linear to the extreme; there's not much opportunity to cut your own path through the world. The dynamic rift events turn out to be context-free grinding...chaotic and not all that fun. The character customization is one of the more impressive features, but it is not as robust as it first appears since here are only certain soul combinations that are practical...a small minority of the technically possible combinations. Expand
  35. Jun 29, 2011
    Rift has a decent lore, graphics and a unique soul system that allows customization beyond other mmo games. Unfortunately that is about all it has above the rest because the rest is just good old fashion grinding and same old boring dungeon runs. Yes you will have to grind reputation, many different currencies and the rift feature is also just another form of grinding and are just really quick public quests that aren't anything special. You should be pulled into a rift, that would be much cooler :P Even warhammer had public areas similar to the rifts so its nothing that hasn't been done.

If you are a pvp junkie (like myself) then Rift will let you down completely. The potential for great pvp play is in Rift but with the amount of stunning, silences and confusion along with spammable "polymorphing" and severely overclocked souls pvp play becomes frustrating and boring very quickly. PVP also has no affect on the game world as its just arena scrapping in small, chaotic and simple warfront maps. Once again, even Warhammer has this beat as well.

Even though the game is all around plain and identical to the rest, the player base is very friendly and can be a lot of fun to play along with, so if your just a casual gamer this game is for you, but if your more hardcore and don't leave your basement often, I wouldn't recommend investing your time in it. Even at 50, raiding is just the same old stuff, nothing new at all. You will just once again have characters on a game that will eventually be behind within a year or two.

We need something original! Rift gets a 3 for its effort at graphics, soul system and decent enough lore.
  36. Jul 5, 2011
    I enjoy playing RIFT but...
    First, the good: I love the classes. The skill trees are extremely cool and varied. I'm sure the powergamers can tell you what's better then what, but the fun factor for me is great. I felt interested every time I leveled. The game also plays extremely smooth, graphics are good, rifts are, imo interesting and varied. Community is mostly friendly, outside
    of your normal problems
    The bad: Leveling is extremely fast, it's so easy to solo that I seldom bothered to group - I'm paying for an MMO, I think group content should be featured more then solo content (but I'm an old EQ player where you couldn't have solo'd beyond the entry levels). So many possible actions that there is some button overload. Uncertain: I'm not into PVP, so I have no way to judge that - it looked well set up, but I have no idea. I dislike the 'can't group with them' thing that's started filling MMO's -- why cut your player base in half and have half of them lose out on half of your content? I'lll never understand that.
  37. Aug 2, 2011
    I've played about every note worthy mmo to date and rift is right up there with the best. truly fun to play and nice to look at. every aspect is solid and fells polished, almost like its been of for a couple years instead of a couple months. Any one in to mmo's owes it to himself to give this a try.If its this good now i cant imagine one or two years from now! Great job trion!!
  38. Mar 2, 2012
    Currently the best subscription based MMO on the market hands down. Customer support second to none and developers who actually passionate about their product. It's nice to see the decisions made for the game aren't done by the accounts. AKA micro transactions. Free transfers, mobile APP etc etc.
  39. Sep 11, 2011
    from 10 to 0 I'll tell you why... Ok So you are tired of your current MMO and want to try something new , yet very familiar...then you remember rift that game everyone was talking about a few months ago and you decide it to try it now, after all these months, patches and updates it must be really good now right? doh think twice! keep reading... Ok so you start leveling your new character and quickly fall in love with the game: wow the character creation is outstanding, the graphics are really awesome you discovered the endless possibilities of the soul system, multi class at it's best yeah! and the rifts-invasions are just epic! oh glorious day you finally found a new home you are so happy and considering to pay 6 months in advance also that epic fiery mount looks yuummy so you should invite some friends to join the fun! right? no wait and read to the end! So you finally reach level 50 and you fell almost complete, so you decide to try some endgame...wait, most servers are not even bothering, and you realize even expert dungeons are an endless grind, if you pug using the LFG tool you also get a raiding token to get cool raid tiers! wow, uh oh... wait a second I get a token per run and I need over 500 tokens?! you gotta be kidding me! okay I'm going to try a faction rep mount! they look so cool, wait a second, months of pointless grind? ok ok pvp was so cool in the lower tiers so it's time I join the battle once again, you have enough favor to buy the first epic set, here you go. And yes there you go... to hell, just like rift. Believe me Rift's lvl 50 pvp is just awful, it should actually get the award for worst pvp system ever in a mmo, yes you are going to grind your hiney for at least two months playing non stop to get nearly competent and until then you are going to be daddy's toy and yeah you are going to suffer , you'll see, DEVS thought it was a good idea to mix rank 0-1 new 50s with all mighty god mode ranks 8 you will be in a train my friend, in a train of pain, get ready to jump in to the most frustrant experience a game can give you around. It is unbalanced, unfair and very awful, but I have seen that in other moo you say, ok not like this I can tell you, the difference between a rank 1-5 and a rank 8 is so huge a single r8 (no matter what class) can literally wipe a group of 5-10 low 1-3 ranks and I am serious about it, so if you want to play RIFT go ahead but stay away from 50 pvp, at least until they fix the unbalance, I left because I was so sick of losing all day for months, yes Trion messed it up with an otherwise awesome game. Expand
  40. Nov 8, 2011
    A great MMO for "hardcore" RPG players who miss the vanilla days of wow, with a dark fantasy twist. The enemies are unique, skill system fantastic and flexible, and the visuals are top notch. PVP can feel sluggish, but is rewarding when you consider pvp rifting, etc etc.

constant, steady new content is fueling this game, and has really kept it fun and fresh unlike other MMO's slow big updates.
  41. Mar 12, 2012
    Rift is definitely a suggestion for an MMO I would give to my friends. I feel that Rift has very nice graphics and smooth gameplay, there is always something to do and it has decent playerbase.
  42. Apr 28, 2012
    I love this game I have played it for almost a year now, there is so much to do and with all the new things Trion comes out with you wont stay down long! Rifts, raiding, 20 mans, 10 mans, 5 man dungeons! its just a great game i really do love it.
  43. Feb 8, 2013
    Very good mmorpg compared to the competition, the rift mechanic is great, dungeons are great and everything is smooth. For some reason i have really enjoyed the quests too, they seem better written than your average mmorpg quests. The thing which drags it down, is the pvp, but since i'm not too interested in it, i don't really care.
  44. Aug 29, 2012
    Under shiny graphics hides a polished turd. Quests are typical bring/kill x numbers of [insert here a random mob/item name] from start to level cap 50. PvP is an unbalanced joke, and an insult to the players Trion didn't do anything when people exploited new Conquest war front during its launch period. I found a new synonym to word boring; Rift.
  45. Aug 20, 2014
    Rift used to be a pretty good game. It still is in many aspects, but it's extremely hampered by both it's f2p nature, and the absolute refusal of the dev team to back down from things even when faced with impending disaster. The recent Auction changes are a clear cash grab and rather than address these problems immediately when they have a 100+ page thread of mostly angry players staring them in the face, they take a weeks vacation? Seriously?

Then they proceed to double down and just reduce the listing fees again, rather than going back to the previous system and fixing the actual problems (absolute lack of any sort of meaningful plat sink because you can buy everything cheaper in the credits from microtransactions). All the while touting this as an improvement to the game. Keep in mind that you need to actually use credits to access this auction house in the first place, and at the same time they introduce limited slot buy orders that you can purchase with, you guessed it, credits.

If this is any indication of how they do business, I'd recommend avoiding this entirely.
  46. Nov 3, 2013
    Rift has the same issues as WOW see below), as they copied almost every feature from that game. So where does wow/rift go wrong? It’s a cookie cutter type game with no depth in gear, spells or abilities… everyone has the same stuff. A new expansion comes out, your: Int, Agi, Str goes up 20 points… ooowee, how exciting! These games are good for a while but you tire of them quickly.

Rift figured it would copy WOW because they are successful, which is only partly true. WOW is successful largely due to the fact that there is no competition for this genre game on the market, rather than it being an epic game to play.

So instead of being creative and coming up with an epic NEW game, Rift sealed its fate by coping another game on the market; a game with more resources and experience in the market. To add to their problems, their developers are not as good as WOW’s (less cash to work with), they have not figured out a proper PVP balance between classes (big issue!), class/gear/dungeons have even less depth. And selling gear and mounts for cash (US dollars) is simply a mistake in the long run. Yes, you make some quick cash but this will come back to bite them later, as it creates major imbalances in PVP and spoils the idea that earn quality gear! Rift definitely has some positive like good support, and sound on-line game play, but the focus of this post is how to improve the game.

So the big question, how do you fix these games, or better yet, make a game that blows the competition away! Think unique and individual. Who wants to be the same as everyone else? Instead of spending all that time developing PVE which no one plays in end game you build up a colossal gear stash 1st, a broad range of abilities to level (slowly), EQ’s AA were very good. I could say so much here but don’t have the time or space to write it. How do you make PVE fun? Opportunities for reward!! (GEAR), make it challenging where you require team play, and easy group joining creates friendships, roaming rare monsters and again drops worthy GEAR). I’d make opportunities for good gear equal whether it’s PVP, PVE or Raid and almost everything would be drops… very little purchased! How about building your own weapons with special abilities, weapons that level with the character (30-40 levels minimum) so the gear drop really mean something. More of the gear is tradable. And when gear drops is for your level not something you out grew five levels ago!

PVP is based on skill, rather than level/gear so you avoid the unbalanced PVP matches. And is it really that difficult to balance the different classes? It must be because Rift does a horrible job of it, as of 10/2013 rogues and heals rule in PVP, mages are pawns and clerics, warriors do ok.
  47. Feb 22, 2014
    booooooring! More of "kill 5 of that" or "bring me 5 of this". Nothing new under the sun. Its a ridiculous easy solo game, a bad copy or others MMOs. Bad colors, the armors and weapons looks horrible and forget to do nothing until level 50. Definitely overrated game. And remember, if Adam Gershowitz is there, forget the balance between classes.
  48. Aug 15, 2014
    Rift is a very good MMORPG, one of my favorites alongside Star Wars: The Old Republic, everything looks nice, it's optimised pretty well and the class balancing is OK, like SWTOR, but some classes are a mile ahead at PVP compared to others, just like that flipping Jedi Shadow in SWTOR, always annoying my gunslinger... Anyway, Another thing about the game is that it's very enjoyable to play, the only problem is the difficulty of the game, sometimes it seems like I can just spam my main attack and get through the rift unscathed, as there's normally about 500 other players by the rifts, all spamming their main attacks. It would be a lot better if there was an advanced difficulty, where you gain XP faster but have less health and attack power. Expand
  49. Nov 27, 2014
    How quickly things change. You can see a positive review from me in July. Now, after a very ill-considered change to the auction house and increasing lag and instability, including a much higher frequency of a very annoying appearance bug (face turns pale and lips green) that you can find references to in forums as far back as 2012, I have to drop my rating.

The game has its moments but
    the combat is sluggish by modern standards and Trion has clearly decided to put it in 'harvest' mode: minimal support while they extract what cash they can. I'd suggest thinking twice about any long term commitment to it but it's worth dabbling with. Expand
  50. Sep 20, 2014
    Grind fest mmo, very poorly optimized game client, kind of not bad implementation of f2p, but not best. End game isn't very satisfying. Bad class balance and nearly destroyed PVP experience, boring dungeons (imba mega grind, as I said).
  51. May 17, 2011
    Tried rift's free trial, because of all the fuss that's being made about it i decided to review it and since it aims to compete with World of Warcraft specifically i'll spend most of the time comparing Rift and WoW (world of warcraft):

Simply put: It is World of Warcraft, but with better graphics (still not really good though), unimaginative enemies, crappy animations, a more fun talent
    tree specialisation (with the drawback that it becomes boring after a certain time and doesn't work well for the balance in player versus player combat) and ofcourse it has Rifts.
    The music is slightly worse then that of WoW, but that matters little because in practice very few people play mmo's with the original music on.

The story behind rift isn't exactly remarkable but that's no surprise when it has to compare to games which are based on already existing expansive storylines. (World of Warcraft, DC Universe Online, Lord of the Rings online, Star wars: knights of the old republic etc.)

In the end it's a decent but unremarkable mmo with some decent new additions that get old really fast: - Rifts are fun but after a while they're not more remarkable then any other random event in any given mmo.

- Rift's main competitor (World of Warcraft) has worse graphics, but better music and more interesting enemies, of course this only matters if you care about such things.

- The talent (or soul system as they call it) is far more customisable then that of any other, however in practice only a few combinations "work" and it gives problems for player versus player based combat as some soul combinations are a lot stronger then others.
    In the end this means that while you do have more choice you will always go for a certain choice if you want to compete with others, since some combinations simply stand out too much.

In the end all the difference between Rift and World of Warcraft is a matter of taste, however World of Warcraft has a lot more content for the moment due to its age.
  52. Apr 7, 2011
    Not since I tried WoW for the first time in the US closed beta have I played a MMO that so thoroughly got my attention and appreciation from the very first moments in-game. After Blizzard's behemoth started to get old and boring I tried Vanguard, Lineage 2, AoC, LOTRO, GW amongst others without satisfaction..

..now I finally feel like I found my way home. I initially bought Rift as a
    pastime in anticipation of SW:TOR and/or GW2, but now it might just be my next several-year-long relationship. Expand
  53. Mar 1, 2011
    Best game I've played since World of Warcraft came out. I would recommend this game to anyone that enjoys MMO's. It may not be he most original game but it takes the best aspects from other games such as wow, eq2, and warhammer and tries to improve upon it while adding it's own twist on things.
  54. Mar 1, 2011
    Yes, this game is a lot like Everquest, World of Warcraft and Warhammer--but in a good way. It takes the best of those games and combines them into a highly-polished package. The multi-soul system is an improvement on WoW's talent tree; rifts themselves are an improvement on WAR's public quests. It has its completely unique features as well; rifts can spawn zone-wide invasions which require players to fight off hordes of monsters from other planes. Above all, though, Rift is polished to a level above any MMO released in years. All of the features you expect are here, and they're all well-executed. There's an auction house; public grouping; guilds (with advancement); even twitter integration. The client is stable and performs well, even during zone-wide invasions with hundreds of nearby players and monsters. The servers have been extremely stable during beta and head-start.

Not everyone is going to love Rift or abandon their current MMO. But if you're tired of WoW or disappointed by Warhammer, there's a good chance Rift has what you're looking for.
  55. Mar 1, 2011
    I have been playing Rift since its head-start, and I must admit that I've had the best first week experience ever. Servers have been smooth. Updates were done when necessary, addressing issues reported as soon as possible. Leveling has been interesting, although traditional and linear. Graphics look great even on my old computer. Quite a lot of people are playing it, so no shortage of players. However, three things really stood out. First, the whole class system is truly a work of genius. I love how I can mix and match my souls to experiment with different specs. There is no cookie-cutter build, and the strength of a character is determined by the skills of a player, not by whether she or he avidly followed someone else's guideline. Two, there's always something to do in the game. The game is so dynamic, having rifts and invasions all over different zones, not to mention Warfronts (PvP Battleground), challenging instances, and raids (which I've not been able to try yet). You have the sense of actually getting involved in this imaginary world. Third, last but not least, it is fun. It's difficult to pinpoint and state exactly why it is fun, but, trust me, it is so much fun. The game definitely has great and lasting value for its price, so I suggest you run into Rift and try it out now. Expand
  56. Mar 1, 2011
    Since I pre-ordered the digital collectors edition on Steam I was able to play since the beginning of headstart. I really enjoy the game and have played pretty much the whole weekend with only small breaks. I love the graphics and I love the fact that the game is accessible for newcomers to the MMORPG genre. I have not played MMOs before, but I find the community is helpful if I have questions in the game (who came up with all those abbreviations?? e.g. "Mage with CC LFG").
    I already recommended the game to a couple of my friends!
  57. Mar 1, 2011
    This has quickly become my favorite MMO ever. It has: a gorgeous world that sucks you right in, interesting but not too daunting lore, very diverse and customizable class system, tons of bonus achievements...i could go on. I just recently completed the first group instance, and it was a blast! I love everything about this game so far. If you even remotely enjoy playing MMO games, then this game is for you. Expand
  58. Mar 2, 2011
    This game is visually stunning, beautiful textures and effects. Revolutionary game play. This takes the best of other MMOs and makes it its own in a unique and fluid way. I've been with this game since day one of closed beta. Do not let WoW humpers fool you! This is not a WoW copy, simply an MMO they see as a threat.
  59. Mar 2, 2011
    Rift is the best MMO on the market right now without a question. It is about as much of a WoW clone as WoW is a clone of EQ, meaning they are similar games, yet Rift is the next generation. Every new generation starts out with a game combining the best elements of the previous entries of the genre, adding its own touch and refining the technology. I'm not against WoW, I've played it for years. WoW is a genre defining game, yet rift is the NEXT genre defining game. It takes the instances/raids of WoW, and improves them with its own signature style. It also takes the PQs of Warhammer (Rifts) and adds its own improvments to those. The PVP is a mix of every big name MMO. The questing is slightly boring, yet no more boring than any other MMO. I cannot name an MMO with more interesting quests, as every MMO's questing is fairly boring. If you like questing in MMOs, you will love Rifts questing, if not you won't. Rift is the new big MMO. It innovates where innovation was needed, and keeps tradition where everything worked. The technology is upgraded aswell, creating beautiful graphics and an overall immersive world. Might as well jump on the Rift bandwagon, because MMOs as a genre are going that way aswell. Expand
  60. Mar 2, 2011
    Great great game. The environments in the game are fantastic, especially in the dungeons! Rifts are engaging and fun, and the UI is easy to get used to/customize. The Class/Soul system is super flexible and pretty much anything you decide to try ends up working out fairly well.

I took one point off for some rough animations, no guild bank system, and fairly bland/streamlined questing.
    Eventually one these MMO's/RPG's are going to have to revolutionize the way we do questing!

All that really matters is I'm almost to level 31 on my Cleric and the game is beyond fun and I can't stop playing! I have a nice collection of my leveling journey in my Steam screenshot gallery located here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/holyliaison/screenshots/?tab=all
  61. Mar 3, 2011
    Firstly, I should say that I think that Rift is in no way a bad game. For a game that has just came out it runs fairly well, has quests placed in a well thought out order, and has an interesting way of doing character progression. The rift concept works well to break up the leveling grind and from what I've seen it doesn't look like there will be racial imbalances for apposing factions. For a game that just came out it has very few bugs and graphics are nice. The reason I cant give this game a positive score aside from the minor bugs that should be fixed with a patch is because of the lack of innovation. It isn't a terrible thing to take the better aspects from other games and use them, but after this many years of mmo's, one might expect something more than the standard quest grind to end game then raiding with PvP mixed in there every now and then. If you like WoW chances are you'll like Rift because in the end its almost the same game. Not that its a bad thing, but I'm just tired of playing the same game with different names. Expand
  62. Mar 3, 2011
    Love this game. Finally a MMO for MMO players. The game's overall polish and stability are legendary in a field where all too often players are ready to accept sub-par launches. Rift is the complete package - a fantasy mmo with all the trappings (pvp/crafting) with a system that will leave you reading skill trees for a long time. Its extremely fun to build your character in so many different ways and still have a great time. The public quest feature is extremely fun, allowing you the "big game" feeling on a smaller scale. You can close rifts throughout the world for rewards, and each rift feels like you are contributing to a larger cause. I can't wait to see where Rift takes me. Expand
  63. Mar 10, 2011
    Smoothest launch ever, great experience so far. This game is sick. I've had a great time playing it, it's probably the game that IF people were to take 2 seconds out of there time on WoW, would ACTUALLY have the chance of taking it over. At least until Diablo 3, ha.
  64. Mar 4, 2011
    Excellent game with new gameplay features. The rift system is really fun, especially how it integrates while leveling. The game looks great and polished, which is a big plus for a game just released. The class system is a lot of fun as well and a fresh mix to the same class tier system in every MMO.
  65. Mar 5, 2011
    This game is very similar to WoW. But why shouldn't it be? It took all the things that WoW has and added to them. A smart move by Trion. The class/ soul system is unique and allows for many combinations. Haven t been to end game yet but what i have done deserves a rating of 10.
  66. Mar 6, 2011
    Absolutely phenomenal game. Is full of content, extremely stable, and the developers are great. Trion Worlds have crafted a game that could be a powerful contender to World of Warcraft.
  67. Mar 7, 2011
    RIFT is brilliant! At first you think its just another WoW Clone, but after a short Playtime you see that RIFT makes a lot better than WoW. RIFT improved the best things from many other MMO's. The Rifts and Invasions are really funny. Everywhere is action and something to do! No longtime single grinding or questing.
  68. Mar 10, 2011
    Great game from graphics to class system. It takes alot of the good from past mmos but thats a good thing in my book. I want a good ol mmo like eq eq2 and wow when it first came out. With the latest games Rift hits the spot.
  69. Mar 10, 2011
    I decided to go out on a limb and buy Rift on steam the other day. It was such a great decision. The game Looks amazing and the game play is just as good. The class system is so open-ended that it makes replay value pretty high. If you're looking for a well paced, fun and just down right awesome MMO to play, Rift is your game.
  70. Mar 10, 2011
    If you love WoW and still play it right now it is inevitable that you will go back but if you have quit and are looking for a fresh new MMO this game is a definite winner in the genre. I have played almost all of the big name MMOs and this is definately the best MMO since WoW.
  71. Mar 10, 2011
    The game's story is a bit cliche for my taste. You are either a good guy or a baddie, and you're fighting against the ultimate baddies while beating each other up. Only reason I'd not give this a solid 10. The industry needs to break away from WoW (or for that matter EQ) stereotypes. At least there are no orcs?

BUT the gameplay is smooth, the graphics are a definite step up from
    previous MMO's, and the customization for your character is unique and powerful. The world events add a new aspect of gaming to the genre, and bring players together in a way that seems meaningful outside of repetitive instancing. Overall a fun way to pass the time between work and sleep.

The fact that I got the game on the day it was released and there were no tech issues, or 10 hours of patching was a plus as well. Trion delivered a polished game from the date of release, at least 1 studio figured out how to do it!
  72. Mar 13, 2011
    LAcks PvP endgame Content, doe snot keep it's name for next generation even in Pve. Raids are boring and it's the same mechanics we've seen before.
  73. Mar 13, 2011
    It's always difficult to review an MMo. While just about any and every MMo will have problems and glitches upon launch, usually they can be ironed and the game improved upon over time. However, there are many things that are simply too ingrained into the game, its gameplay, mechanics or engine to readily be changed.
    Half the reason any other MMo's have been successful is the general
    fluid-ness of gameplay, its (default) interface, graphics and animations. While the graphics might seem 'modernized' compare to more dated MMo's, no screenshot can do justice to how jarring the animation can be. Personally, I'm Expand
  74. Mar 13, 2011
    Honestly don't see what the fuss is about, Rift is a average game that has done nothing to progress the MMO genre. It's just so bland, boring and dull with the same old same old kill 10 badgers quest system. Animations are clunky with overuse of glow effects, PvP is unbalanced due to many souls. Dungeons lack imagination and are far to easy, the game doesn't offer a challenge at all and the Rifts just get in your way and become tedious. Expand
  75. Mar 26, 2011
    I've been looking for a good mmo to sink my time into and after reading the positive reviews I decided to buy Rifts. I've been skeptical after buying Champions and FF14 at launch but I'm very glad I took the risk to buy this game. The best way I can describe it is that Rifts took what I liked from WoW and WAR and combined them. This game is just plain fun to play. PvP is great and you have a great amount of variety in what you want to do class wise. Graphics are nice and the only problem I'm having with the game is that I need more time to play lol. For those that are knocking this game as a WoW clone I can understand your reasoning to a point. This game does take elements from other games (WoW for instance) and uses what was successful. This is not making a clone, it's using what works. Also, keep in mind WoW "cloned" a lot from it's predecessors like EQ, etc. Enjoy the game and lets support developers who are doing what is right for a change. Have fun and see you in game! Expand
  76. Mar 21, 2011
    Rift is one of the most polished MMO releases in a very very long time, so far everything just simply works. There are fantastic features which are common accross all mmo style games, pve dungeons and pvp battlegrounds to name some obvious ones. Both are very fun an polished in Rift. The originality comes in the form of Rifts and Invasions. Rifts/Invasions are EXTREMELY fun, they bring a whole new depth to the world as a whole. Rift's world is not a static bore-fest that many MMO worlds are. There is constantly some kind of Rift or Event going on all around you in the areas you quest in. If you are a fan of the genre I highly recommend this game, it is clean, polished, runs well on all levels on computers and its a damn good addition to a flooded MMO marketplace. Expand
  77. Mar 21, 2011
    After playing WoW for a few years I was seriously burnt out on MMOs. Since WoW, I tried LOTRO, Aion, Warhammer, and Star Trek. Rift is the only MMO since WoW that has kept my interest. The class system is unique in that I can create a particular character in the way I want to play. The graphics are pleasing to the eye and I enjoy the quests. Give this game a try..I don't think you will regret it. Expand
  78. Mar 29, 2011
    I purchased this game the day after release and have been very impressed. Visually it's beautiful. I purchased a new Alienware M15X laptop just so I can play it on ultra settings. The questing is fun especially if you take the time to read the story quests so you understand the bigger picture. The rift system is fun but I can see where it could get old. Also, while I like the ability to have so many options for the characters themselves, the soul system gives too many options. It would take hours to explore all of the options if you want to explore all different souls. This is a very solid game and I'm sure I'll enjoying playing it for a very long time. Expand
  79. Apr 4, 2011
    I love the game, but I was compelled to write this in response to those who would give a game of this quality a Zero, One or Two... these are not honest reviews, no one being honest can give Rift that kind of treatment unless there are other reasons for the score.
    If you want to be taken seriously don't pull that crap of a zero, any clear thinking gamer can see you for what you are.

Okay,
    I feel better... if you like MMO's that offer a cool world to explore with a tone of hidden content, quests, bosses, and Rifts (!), an MMO that you can jump right in and play, then give it a try. Expand
  80. Apr 5, 2011
    With each patch the uniqueness of the game goes, the nerfs and buffs seem to hurt the game more then help it.
    They buffed the mages so high that you deal -damage to them and they one shot everyone, they nerfed rogues so bad no one wants them, they nerfed ranged warriors enough to force them to melee.
    There are many exploits going unfixed and people are doing them with no punishment.
    The
    game feels like a beta test, there is still much testing and work too be done. Expand
  81. Apr 11, 2011
    Rift brought me back to the MMORPG scene. I'm a little old school, grew up on the originators of this genre. Rift has resparked that gaming lust where I plan o playing 10 hours plus a day again. The environment is beautiful and full of polish. There is a near limitless number of combinations of classes you can use giving each player a chance to hash out their own playstlye compared to follow everyone elses model for max dps. The audio stands out as amazing in spell effects and voice dialog. Random public party instances happen frequently enough there is never a dull time. I maxed multiple caracters in EQ, AC, ffxi11, and wow. I have not been this excited to log on in the mornings since pre burning crusade wow. Expand
  82. Apr 11, 2011
    For those who have played World of Warcraft for the majority of their MMO carry, Rift will feel like a breath of fresh air by the very nature of being different. Unfortunately, for veterans, such as myself, who have dedicated countless hours to every major MMO release since before the dawn of the WoW behemoth, there isn't anything new under the sun to see, here. Additionally, there are plenty of glaring balance issues, and server shards go down on an almost daily basis with very little prior info (usually a 10 minute prior announcement). The whole game feels defined by imbalance. Additionally, while the graphics are better in terms of polygon count compared to WoW, other games ranging from Everquest 2 to Age of Conan have much better engines and don't have an almost constant problem of armor clipping on characters. Likewise, the character animations look lethargic and stilted and loose their appeal quickly. While I will give Rift credit for having a better more recent MMO launch, it is sadly not the savior of the MMO genre that I am looking for, nor is it even compelling enough to permanently keep me from playing what still remains the best of the genre: World of Warcraft. Expand
  83. Apr 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rift, in simplest terms, is a revamped version of most MMOs on the market. It's very hit or miss, depending on how you enjoy playing MMOs. Rift is an entertaining new game with fresh new ideas. However, as far as the execution of the game goes, there are a few parts I think could be improved.

GRAPHICS:
    This game has decent graphics and some impressive particles in my opinion. Many people that compare this game to WoW will see that on the lower end settings, WoW and Rift look similar. However, when I turned on the highest settings possible, I thought it looked very nice and quite stunning, to be honest. Not much else to say here.

GAMEPLAY: Gameplay is similar to WoW as much of the game is either questing or raiding against the in-game zone-wide Rifts. These are basically little tears in the sky where the entire zone can come together and defeat a horde of mobs for treasures and loots. Your performance and participation determines the loots you receive. Questing in the game can be very difficult, and even frustrating, at early levels. If more than one mob jumps on you at early levels, surviving can be a challenge. Also, escaping can be difficult if you have no escape moves, as enemies travel at the same speed as actual players. However, questing runs smoothly in spite of these minor inconveniences. There are also instances like in WoW where a small team can enter their own private dungeon and defeat mobs and bosses for loot. PvP is also available in rift, but I haven't tried yet so I have no basis for comparison.

SOUND: I wasn't impressed with the sounds of Rift. I'm not going to say that they are bad in any way, because they're not. However, they are definitely nothing new. I don't play games for sound, but it's always nice to have a good soundtrack in any game. Rift, unfortunately, does not please me in this category. REPLAY VALUE: As with most MMOs, you can have a large amount of alternative characters (henceforth referred to as "alts", as many of you know is a common description of these characters) across different servers, so replay value really is determined on how much you enjoyed playing on your main and whether or not you wish to make more characters. Personally, I do not roll many alts, as I just enjoy playing on my Mage and going around doing Rifts. I do have a small collection of alts though, and do play them frequently. I find this game similar to WoW in this respect.

Overall, Rift is a good game with a lot of new experiences. Even though it's a clone of other MMOs, it doesn't subtract from the entertainment value of the game. Sometimes, a new lore and new environment is all we need to realize that we enjoy these games a lot, so playing more than one is fine. I enjoy Rift very much and hope that all others who try it do too.
  84. Apr 26, 2011
    Rift proved to be a very refreshing experience, not so much because of new features for the genre as much as a combination of the great features that already exist in the genre. Trion Worlds got so much right from the start in this game. With some time, Rift might just as well become the new standard for the MMORPG genre.
  85. May 1, 2011
    - Very boring and repetitive questlines. - PvP instances are really mediocre. PvP is quite often premades repeatedly steamrolling pugs, and this is apparently working as intended. Both sides have what is basically a Warhammer Bright Wizard locking down the battlefield with mass AE and mass CC.

- While the class structure initially looks great, it in fact is a nightmare of min maxing
    players vs. devs. Yo-yoing balance patches and random nerfs are pretty commonplace, but they seem to break more than they fix. - The Rift events (their signature "thang") are either nonexistant or overly in your face, locking down entire zones with 12 total players in them with no chance against the NPC invaders. The loot from Rifts sort of sucks relative to other lvl 50 gear so its no surprise people dont really seem to bother.

- The "elite" PvE instances (the ones you run to grind tokens for gear, just like WoW) are rehashes of the instances you see from lvl 1 - 50 with yet more trash to clear.

- Crafting is a luck based system in which you grind dailies to get tokens to get uber patterns. So are some of the gathering "recipes" - random luck based drops off nodes. Yay for luck based MMOs.

- The devs seem sort of out of touch as to what the players are actually doing in PvE, PvP and with the construction of their characters using the "unique" soul system. One example is that there are two main healing classes and the one that is the better of the two cannot even queue as heals using the (now in Alpha) looking for group tool. This is apparently working as intended.

- While gathering or traveling expect masses of gray mobs to aggro you, slow you down, dismount you and force you to clear them. All while trying to get your luck based crafting daily done so you can once again not get a tablet that is necessary to get the good patterns.

Try it if you gotta, but I highly recommend a one month sub because thats about all the gameplay Rift has in it.
  86. May 14, 2011
    Trion Worlds tries way too hard to have its cake and eat it too. With a slogan like "You're not in Azeroth anymore", you'd expect Rift to be a game bent on trying to break the mould and perhaps change the MMO genre. You'd only be partly right. You're not in Azeroth, no, you're in an even worse designed and staler world with much less to do. Class system - One of the main selling points of the game is the versatility of the classes, but it doesn't really exist, except in certain cases. The underlying theme in class customisation in Rift is similar to other MMOs - if you customise your character's talents in the wrong way or attempt to create an interesting build, you will almost certainly fail throughout the content, which seems to be almost the same philosophy of WoW, which Trion Worlds attempts to insist that they are not. The Warrior: the usual plate-wearing class which ends up being the only viable tank in the game, but also has the best overall damage by far, making it imbalanced. The Cleric: a hybrid class that can sort of tank, is great at healing, and only does okay damage, despite the majority of their talent trees being damage-focused. Also, if one wishes to heal as a Cleric, there are very few options available as any deviation from pre-determined builds will result in many party deaths. The Mage: The typical spell caster with a tree for healing allies via damage done and some great support talents, as well as very good damage, but still worse than the Warrior.

The Rogue: Easily the worst class of all to play. Despite traditionally being a pure damage class, their damage is easily beaten by every other class, except for the Cleric with which they are equal. They have a tanking tree, but you can only tank one target with it and have very little survivability. They also have a support tree, but it is easily replaced by the Mage's support tree, which provides far more buffs, debuffs, and can cure allies, unlike the Rogue's. Magi also have the option to switch to their healing tree for more healing intensive fights, or to a damage tree and easily outperform a better-equipped Rogue. It is a truly useless class.

Rifts - The namesake of the game, they are events that spawn enemies and provide reputation and experience. These are fun at first, but quickly become tedious and repetitive. There are also Invasions and Footholds, which are essentially rifts that don't despawn after a given time and usually take hold of a quest hub and/or certain reputation vendors, at which point all friendly NPCs disappear until the Invaders an/or Foothold are defeated. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but all too often 10 or more Invasion forces (individually they are solo'able) will occupy one particular point, making it impossible to clear out by yourself and therefor make it impossible to turn in and pick up new quests without begging in various chat channels for help. There are end-game rifts, however, the required tools used to summon them drop from dungeons which provide far better rewards, so it seems pointless to do them when the same time could be put towards running those dungeons again, or simply solo'ing normal rifts if you desire the reputation rewards. All in all, rifts are not really a fun and exciting community experience, but more of a repetitive nuisance.

Dungeons: The dungeon experience in Rift is almost exactly the same as in WoW. The only difference is that at end-game, Expert dungeons (same as Heroics in WoW) require one of the DPS to fill a support buffer/minor healer role instead of the typical 1 tank / 1 heal / 3 DPS, but that is honestly where the changes end. Just as in WoW, you'll experience the same dungeons but at a harder difficulty with a couple of extra bosses and slightly different mechanics than the lower level version. You'll also get better loot than the lower level versions, and you'll earn tokens from killing bosses which you can turn in for even better gear or certain crafting ingredients. Sounds a lot like Azeroth to me. Crafting: The crafting is very easy in Rift but the trade-off is that the high end crafted items are worse than the random mob drops in Experts. The only reason to take on a profession would be to 1) make bigger bags, and 2) gather materials to sell on the auction house, which other people won't buy because the random drops are better than anything they can craft.

Graphics: The graphics and overall look of the game is quite lackluster, and brings nothing special to the table. It's a very bleak and dead world with very few colours and little artistic work. The comparisons to WoW are usually seen as unfair and irrelevant among the Rift community, but they are completely valid. Trion made it clear that they wanted to be compared to WoW, and specifically on how different and better Rift is. However, they've merely produced an equally priced knockoff with nothing special or innovative.
  87. May 19, 2011
    As an MMO veteran with literally tens of thousands of hours played, I can confidently say Rift is an astonishing release that truly impresses me. Both Trion's willingness to listen to the community while still maintaining their vision for the game is something we haven't seen from a major MMO in quite sometime. Rift takes the concepts created in Everquest, Camelot, and Warhammer and fleshes them out, adds their own sauce to the mix and an incredible game is the result. The game has its faults, but none of them aren't things that will be fixed over time and relative to any other MMO release ever done, this is an incredibly polished and finished game with a dev team that really has their stuff together. Expand
  88. Jul 9, 2011
    Rift has a great first impression, deeper character customization than most MMO's except for Aion. Logging into the game you are immediately caught in the middle of either an apocalyptic future for the Defiant or a very bloody past for the Guardians. The class system is very intuitive, from the four beginning archetypes you get, you get 8 different "soul" trees plus a PvP tree. You can have 3 different souls on your current talent tree combination, and 5 different "dual-specs" you can buy from your trainer. Classes are pretty much balanced, with a few minor exceptions (mostly in PvP). Being a Cataclysm veteran, I have to say the questing is not as great, but, every zone builds up to where it culminates at some conclusion, and the game has quite a bit of lore with a much darker story line. One of the major parts of the game, the rift system, introduces a very dynamic world. Every zone has 3 rift elements, and there can be around 20 types of each rift per zone, plus the zone-wide invasions where the planar forces lay siege on the entire zone. For end game the dungeon system allows for randoms on normal, tier 1 and 2 expert dungeons, which are the "heroic mode" for dungeons. The dungeons, even are normal, are a bit hard, but expert brings that to the next level, each tier being harder. There are also raids and raid/expert rifts you can do for higher rewards. The learning curve is a bit steep but prepares you enough for the end-game. In PvP there are 4 battle grounds or war fronts. There's one where you need to hold a fang longer than the other team, one where you have to dominate the map, a capture the flag, and a flow blown battle to kill the commanding officer of the other team. This game is breath of fresh air from WoW. There are easy in-game character transfer methods, tutorials, and the game pretty much prepares you for end game content ahead of time with rifts and normal dungeons. The graphics in this game are far superior to most (if not all) good MMOs out there, if your card can handle it. There is an easy Looking for Dungeon (LFD) tool and instant queues for all battlegrounds. Rift encourages being social, guilds have weekly quests for great rewards, you get amazing guild perks, and there is no experience penalty for being in a group (like in WoW). The crafting system in the game is very easy. There are many gathering and crafting abilities, there is an easy crafting menu to manage your skills, and best of all the items you get while crafting are very useful and, if you keep your level on par with your crafting skill (which isn't too hard) you should be able to even use the armor, spells, potions, etc. that you craft. If you are one of those people who just go for those crazy achievements and to collect everything, you're in luck. In Rift you find artifacts which can be added to a special artifact collection tab. Artifacts can tell stories and clear up some lore for you, and you can trade them in for fun items. If you find a book, you can also pick it up and put it in another bar specifically for books. In some cases, quests may be mundane or repetitive, but there is so much to do while you're leveling that if you don't like this quest, go do something else or just go into a new zone. Rift does have some down points, queues can be very long, the lore may not be up to snuff with what you're used to, but most of these can be easily overlooked and do not prevent you from having a great time. Rift is, as I've said, a real breath of fresh air in the MMO community. It certainly isn't a WoW killer, but if you were looking for a new MMO to play, this is for you. Also, if you don't want to pay the hefty fee that WoW costs to buy WoW, BC, Wotlk, and Cataclysm, this game is certainly worth the money, even if it isn't very old or popular. Rift has been out for 6 months and already 3 major patches with raids, so expect the amount of end game content in the future to be astounding. This is a chance for someone to start at the very beginning of an MMO, a whole new world to explore, there are puzzles, artifacts, and amazing quests. This game will feel very familiar, especially the UI (plus you can customize the UI), but it does give a very great feel to the game. I would very much recommend this to a friend (in fact, I already have friends that I got hooked onto it). Despite it's minor downfalls, Trion has created an amazing new title, and I hope new MMOs take a bit out of Rift in the future. Expand
  89. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is exactly what it appears to be, a WoW clone with a better graphics engine. This is either a good or a bad thing, depending on your experience. For me, it was a bad thing. Right from the start of this game, I couldn't find any reason to care about the plot or my character's progress. After character creation you're given a very small piece of lore to explain whats going on, and then sent to the leveling treadmill. To be fair, the Defiant's starting zone was actually pretty cool, and their story works well. The Guardian's however, is just..... bad. So with little incentive to read into the thin plot, I found myself grinding levels, professions, rifts, etc... then I realized that I'd already spent 100's of hours doing the same thing in WoW - and honestly this game just convinced me to go back to WoW (which I haven't played in over a year). Seriously, with the time I've invested in WoW and how many friends I have there, Rift offers absolutely nothing extra to make me want to make a permanent switch.

Anyway, great game engine, designed well, but absolutely no originality and therefore no lasting value. Sorry.
  90. Aug 27, 2011
    RIGHTS : In these hard times with a lot of whiners on forums and "WOW KILLER QUOTES" its really hard to prove your rights. RIFT took old principles from games like World of Warcraft, Aion and others .. and put them into great looking next-gen MMO shell. I can say honestly the RIFT is actually the one and the right choice for people who want to start with MMORPG. I can say this game have a perfect nvidia surround and Eyefinity support which is not a rule in 8 games out of 10. MINUS : RIFT still need its time to grow up .. content is still little low, few dungeons, few locations making harder and harder your leveling with every new character and if you want really enjoy the game you bet have a good computer because low-details graphics looks worst than WoW. Expand
  91. Oct 11, 2011
    Rift is a great game!!! Probajte ovu igru i sigurno necete zazaliti, wow je napokon dobio dostojnog naslednika, na zalost baza igraca sa prostora balkana je veoma mala i to je po meni jedini minus igri za sad... nadam se da ce se to promeniti:)
  92. Nov 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alrite guys I'm going to break this down into simple sections based on PvP, PvE, whats available in the market and why I would give this game a 4 and why it would seem like a troll score compared to what others are saying.

1: PvP. If you are buying rift for PvP, do not buy it. I cannot stress this enough. It is a PvE centric game with PvP tacked on in a horrible way that is horribly unbalanced. If you send me a message I will send you a link to show me deleting my top rank level cap Warrior for PvP. Warrior just cannot be used in PvP at end game. Its that simple. Other classes have had similiar nerfs/buffs completely changing your ability to play the game overnight with little to no community feedback before going live and even months after the change and hundreds of threads, they will not change a thing. The Second part of PVP - Gear. You gain gear by pvping, but the gear gap on the PvP is insane. I have seen players go afk in the highest tier gear vs people who are FORCED to fight them because of no tier seperation and not die to lower tier gear players only to have the player return, use a potion or skill, and then go about killing the 2-3 players that were on top of him for the last 30 seconds. You MUST go through this process in order to obtain gear and it can takeup weeks upon weeks of basically getting beaten from an unfair advantage until you are better. That is statistics speaking, some may say it isn't like that, it really is.

2. PvE: For PvE, this game is not bad. It has horrible graphics and really bad rendering problems due to the water in the maps but I'm not going to comment on graphics and optimization because I'm not a tech junkie its not what you want to read about. The major draw for PVE is end game Raids and partying, and of course RIFTs what this game is named after. Raids: Simple, scripted encounters based on gear and hotbar setup just like other games of the genre. Not hard, not easy. Just a normal setup.
    Partying: Very easy, not even required until end game. Can solo most of the game and most players do.
    RIFTS: These will seem very 'random' and require a team at first. After reaching lvl 30 and being competent in how you go about PvE, Rifts are no longer requiring a team except for the final bosses which are extremely OP based on what class you are. The 'loot' they offer and other shinys are next to worthless compared to forced PvP and Raid end gear. Otherwise useless little things added to the game to try and attract people and if you play and enjoy rifting I'm not meaning to hurt your feelings, just pointing out that its a content void, like a death rift.

What else is on the market: There are alot of other games and if you haven't tried some of the higher rated more fan related and better % of happy player games out there, I suggest you would go for that one before this one. This is a large mix of what is on the market, and while it is captivating for 50 hours, it becomes very stale. The developers also have no ability to speak to the playerbase and do not attempt to help them out or listen to their concerns at all. There are multiple posts with people deleting their highest tier characters and unsubscribing due to what they feel is unfair and the developers will not speak with the players or even attempt to fix anything. They post feedback threads and delete actual feedback posts and stick with the players agreeing that its not broken. I'm not speaking of troll posts, I'm speaking of posts of people who do the math and do care about the game.

So like I said, its a decent game worth trying if you have nothing else. It is not worth staying subscribed to for long and I believe most of the 10's on this website are lies and fake reviews written because if these people played as long as they said they did and play right now, they would not be posting that. Just check the public forums on the game site.
  93. Nov 25, 2011
    I heart this game for the dynamic gameplay that no other game can provide at the moment. I love the graphics that are truly amazing with the stunning detail. The game has so many different possibilities, you are left with much to do and it is all very fun! If you do not raid, you can get to 50 and get bored quick, just like other mmo's, but Trion pushes out content faster than any other company out there leaving you bored for such a brief moment of time. Definitely worth a shot. Expand
  94. Dec 3, 2011
    I decided to give this game a shot after becoming increasingly bored with WoW. After years of playing, I can say for me that that game had hit its peak for me.

Rift took a page from WoW's playbook with the UI and questing themes. However, it's also possible to completely avoid questing altogether with an okay lower level pvp system, a really good world event system and queues for a
    dungeon (at least for me) were easy and painless.

I completely disagree with the 'You like WoW, they do that same thing over here' being a factor on whether I like this game. I will make the observation that a vast number of WoW's additions to the game have not been groundbreaking or original in any way in and of themselves, up to and including their UI development which has been based largely on extremely popular MODs that were available for years. It seems like every day I log on, there's something new. The development team is working hard to constantly update content, world events, items, flavor and each release has come. The world events are much more involving, easy to locate, and on my server at least there is a healthy population of people every time there is one to complete it, even at lower levels. The game does a lot to encourage using it, with a large number of high level characters wherever you go. The leveling is perhaps a touch too fast, and perhaps with the next expansion that can be lowered. However there is planar leveling post-50 which is a nice way to have all those things you're doing at the endgame count for something lasting other than gear.

The class system is a point of contention and celebration at this point. While there are a seemingly limitless number of things you can do in any particular class, picking a good spec for the endgame is sometimes a daunting challenge.

I won't say that this is the 'OMG BEST GAME EVER' (yet), but after 9 months of playing the game I can say that it's holding up to the test of time for me. The content flows out steadily, the team isn't afraid to add new content (Planar Abilities, and the newer post-50 experience gains are compelling) and I don't find myself logging to to just stand around in a major city. Every patch is bringing something new to the game, and it's fun to log on and find out what Rift has been up to!
  95. Dec 6, 2011
    I have written a short review on this game. A quick summary of why I gave it a score of 6: Technically wonderful with lovely graphics, smooth response and very minor glitches. However, gameplay feels a bit bland for long-time players of MMORPGs. Good effort from Trion.
  96. Dec 7, 2011
    It started off as a neat MMO trying to go against the standard archetypes, however, it's essentially devolved into your typically generic classes.

It tries too hard to not be WoW, but is basically a self-hating, shoddy WoW clone that has Trion Worlds funneling a huge amount of their resources into their other two games Defiance and End of Worlds.

You can easily tap out previous
    content and basically end up with very little to do and just waiting for updates. The PvP is sub-standard since the majority of players focus PvE.

The game started out strong, was fun learning, but once you're established in end game you really notice the blaring balance problems. Honestly would not advise getting very into it since there isn't really anywhere to go once you've finished raid progression and many guilds have pretty horrible retention so you just get stuck in progression loops.

Fun game, just horrible class balancing and limited, redundant content.
  97. Dec 30, 2011
    Rift is a fantastic MMO. They just added a whole new area to the world called Ember Island and have plans to to bring another area in called the Planetouched Wilds! This is big stuff and they are not even expansions this monthly updates. You don't get that with WOW. This game has it all check it out!
  98. Apr 27, 2012
    I have had bad experiences with their customer support if you go buy their lil thing to see if your computer is playable with the game I passed with flying colors only all my defiant toons constantly crashed... turn around crash, move crash... porticulum and crash I know people with crappy laptops that didn't have the problems I had and all they wanted to do was point the finger at me. If there was any sort of compatibility with windows processes or my vid card shouldn't they want to fix it? If you look at their forums you can also see many people complain that on the deepwood server they had the same problems and all had great systems. I didn't raid so i didn't need to use vent but by what they kept telling me is the only thing that should be running is rift itself... what a joke. What games require you to not be able to use anything but their specific game while yer playing that is a bit ridiculous and I've played way more bum heavy games than rift as far as pc reqs go and NEVER had a problem with any of them but Rift. They refuse to give me my money back. Trion in my opinion is a bad company with bad customer service Expand

1. Nov 29, 2011
    There have been obvious comparisons made to WoW, with some even going as far as calling it a clone. But what makes Rift so special is that it goes out of its way to avoid falling into the same traps as the many that have fallen before it. It avoids the painful, mindnumbing grind, makes incremental patches everyday and listens intently to its rapidly growing community.
    It's true that the soul trees offer outstanding flexibility for character development and the rifts bring a welcome sense of insecurity into Telara's everyday life, but for some players this simply might not be enough.
  3. Jun 28, 2011
    Rift offers a really polished MMO experience but looks and feels much like a mix of many good MMOs like World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online and Warhammer Online.