7.4

1. Jul 18, 2011
    Rift is a game that fails to live up to it's potential. It has a few interesting concepts: multiple "souls" (aka talent trees) to play around with, and world events in the form of rifts or gateways to elemental planes, which spawn monsters and must be combated. The soul system at first seems like a good idea, but it quickly becomes clear that spreading your talent points between more than 2 trees actually hampers you, and there still is an "optimal" build that you should be using if you want to maximize your effectiveness. It also suffers from talent point bloat, similar to WoW prior to 4.0's talent reorganization - you will spend 5 points to increase the damage of an ability by 5%, for example. The rifts/invasions I felt were fairly well done, if a little simplistic. Even if you shut one rift down, another will open in a short while. I was disappointed when, after closing several footholds on a beach, I turned around to see the first one open again.

The rest of the game, I'm sorry to say, is horrible. For one, there is virtually no replayability. If you've played one Defiant character, you've played them all, and questing is crushingly linear. Except for dwarves and bahmi, the races are virtually identical and consist of a fair skinned human and elf for Guardian and a dark skinned human and elf for Defiant. Boooooring. Questing is 100% the stereotypical 'go here, kill X, click on Y and talk to Z' fare. You will also encounter many instances of finishing a quest in an area, only to get a follow up quest that takes you back into that same area you just cleared. Also, I hope you enjoy the way you look at level 2, you will be wearing that same outfit up through your 20's, not to mention if you are a pet class such as a beastmaster, that creepy purple cat will be with you throughout the entire game.

In closing, you might find a few features you like, but they will be drowned out by the negative aspects of the game.
  2. May 17, 2011
    I have been playing since early beta and finally gave up today. The launch was pretty smooth and the game felt alot more finished than many MMOs at release. All great stuff. Unfortunately, its so like World of Warcraft I just got serious dejavu all the time. Now that might sound like a good idea but consider that Wow is something like 10 years old now. It just feels out of date. The PvP in particularly is a disaster. World pvp has no integration or objective so in reality your just harassing people which soon gets boring. There is a lack of end game content and for the first weeks until recently to hide this Trion just made the game harder and harder. People started to leave in frustration, both at the lack of content and the lack of difficulty. So a week or 2 ago in some sort of kneejerk reaction they dumbed the game down to the point where pretty much anyone can do anything. Reducing everything to a mindless grind and putting a massive skill gap between the end game raids and the general instances dungeons. (Same ones you probably already done a 100x or more). If you like PvP then this is probably the worst MMO choice you could make. If you like WoW, your probably already playing it. Also, forgot to mention, it runs like a lame dog on high end machines. particularly multi gpu. All this has resulted in a game loosing subscribers hand over fist (at least on the pvp servers I play on) I actually cancelled my subscription today. I had more than 50 people on my friends list 4 weeks after launch. Now, only 1 or 2 are still playing. Its cartoony and its simple, its very safe for kids being highly corny with some of the most corny cartoonish voice acting you will see this side of loony tunes. I would feel comfortable with my teenage kids playing it. is probably the only real positive I can offer on this after experiencing as much as I can get out of it. Expand
  3. Mar 2, 2011
    This is a standard MMORPG. If you're expecting something revolutionary, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a game like World of Warcraft only that's new and actually has the outdoor areas matter (thanks to Rifts and invasions), then you'll love this game. The soul tree system is also pretty interesting. For people who like this genre, this game is definitely worth a look.
  4. Sep 12, 2011
    Developers need to stop cloning World of Warcraft. This game could have potential but they need to have a new form of game play that is not a clone of WoW or Lineage 2.

Part of the issue is that the game cloned wow far too much, while it did add a new multi-class system, the simple fact of the matter is, its been done many times before. In the end it leads to only two or three builds per
    class that is viable for anything.

The developers completely screwed up PvP, the PvE is repetitive and monotonous, this game seems intended to be played by the new "amateur" gamer's of this world. Yeah I know mmorpgs are for the community these days but listen, if the community is full of idiots and bullies (since I dont want to swear in my review) then why bother?

If you are a real gamer, you might enjoy it for 20 to 30 levels, but after that, go seek an actual challenge. The questing is pretty much the same as WoW, the rifts are ok, havnt been done in an mmo but still, they need some work to have more variety.

Part of the issue could be the world events do not happen enough, if there was one always going on at all times it would be so much better.

I bought the game for a friend since they really wanted to play, I played a bit, to level 28 actually, but after 28 I just cant stand to connect to the game now.
  5. Jun 23, 2011
    I will start with the Pros. The games graphics are very impressive. The dungeon system is smooth. Basically everything you would expect from a paid MMORPG is here. Also RIFT brings more things to the table, like multi-class system tree which allows for good variety of game play. Character customization is also more in-depth then most other MMORPGs. The rift events also add a good twist. Cons: The graphics and cities could be a major lag issue for people with less powerful computers. Even by lowing the graphics the mire presence of many players in fairly small cities could cause a major lag issue. The dungeon system is smooth, but they do not make key factors in boss fights easily recognizable (Which could be a con and pro). Rift events especially major ones cause such huge lag problems and can be chaotic with 50+ players attacking the same target, thus moving or even fighting nearly impossible. The armor and some weapons from level 1-40 are pretty much the same looking, 0 variety. The game also lacks a in-game re-customization of your character like WoWs and Lord of the Rings Online's Barbershop. It also lacks a dungeon finder leaving instances easily skipped to avoid the headache of spamming for LFG. Most of all the combat experience is smooth, but leaves you empty hearted and yearning for the "I just kicked some butt" feeling. That eventually leaves you bored and uninterested in grinding. Over all, this games a dud, but by far the best MMO to be released since 2004. If you like casual RPGs with low intensity leveling and combat. Rift is the game for you! Expand
  6. Apr 21, 2012
    This game is basically a WoW clone, but a very good one. It's fun progressing through the game, and I enjoyed the dynamics that the rifts brought to the table. I have played each class extensively, and they all work well, although PVP tends to be unbalanced (with different classes taking turns being way OP). I especially enjoyed playing as a Chloromancer, as it allowed me to play a type of role that felt fresh and a little bit innovative. The problem with Rift, unfortunately, is the end game. It quickly becomes a boring grind, where you end up doing fairly tedious things over and over again. PVP in the same battlegrounds. Do the same daily quests. Run the same instances. You know the drill, and in Rift, the drill doesn't have the staying power that I was hoping for. Expand
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    I actually have really enjoyed this game. It offers a lot of different ways to level up and group up with people to keep the action going. The class combinations allows for a lot of customization and for a F2P game I haven't found any handicaps for playing free.
  8. Aug 1, 2011
    RIFT is by far not perfect, but an excellent start to possibly something great. The class system is easily the biggest reason you would play this game. It offers a range of choices for any play-style you can really think of, it lacks healer roles though, and is impossible to be balanced. The quest system is repetitive and very boring. The game world itself is extremely small. The biggest thing that really stunk is that the dungeons are very, very easy.. even in Tier 1 and Tier 2 and some raids, the boss fights are simply tank and spanks with one easy tactic. The dungeon finder as well as the PvP queues are very long as well. If your looking for a challenge with good quality to it you might want to look elsewhere, it's highly overrated. Expand
  9. May 7, 2011
    It's a WoW clone. Plain and simple, it's WoW but with a few name changes and pretty graphics. That's a good thing, because WoW is a good MMO, but in the end it's all personal preference that would make you play rift. If you like WC lore like I do, play WoW, if you want pretty graphics, play Rift.
  10. May 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this game, this crafting is fun and useful and collecting the artifacts is really nice too. Im not one for online games as I lose interest in them after a while (as a solo player) but this one kept my interest for longer than most. The rifts are a nice one of letting people who like to solo beenfit from nice rewards and drops. Good job to the developers there. Expand
  11. Mar 18, 2012
    Great graphics and nice balance to the most polished MMO I have seen on the release date. However, game offers one thing that is different from any other MMO, a rift concept, which was cool for the first 20 hours or so and got incredibly old and tideous after that. Other than that, it is WoW... released 7 years later.
  12. Feb 24, 2014
    I have spent countless hours playing this game, mostly levelling, I did some dungeons and PvP too. Despite being accused of copying WoW I found many things in this game very refreshing. It has a unique atmosphere, which is one of the most important factors for me. Despite being an MMO it is quite immersive too. I also like character creation and some of the questlines aren't that bad. One of the flwas is however repetitive quest design. There is too much of the same quests. Even though the good potential is there, the later questing experience feels very generic at time. But, overall, the game is pretty solid and Trion knows well what it is doing. First few weeks after launch I was completely addicted to this game and the experience was blast! The game is still very good, I spent few weeks in it a year ago. Good stuff. Expand
  13. Jul 9, 2011
    I just could not get into this game...It does everything right, it is polished, has nice graphic and character creation/development system...but everything else about it seems to be so uhmm, generic and unmemorable, that after 3 days I had to force myself to log in. In my opinion this game ia a monument of how lackluster the mmorpg bussines has become. It is just the same WoW over and over and over again made by different company under different name with different world, races and classes, but the core is the same. The only innovative thing about Rift are those "rift events" which turned to be just another excuse to mob grinding...Crafting is poorly designed and unexciting, no open world pvp makes the game even more boring later on...It is just another WoW clone with total lack of immersion factors Expand
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    i played it got to level 50 first week of the "head start"

this game is the grindfest to end all grindfests

not to mention it runs on gamebyro; its like warhammer online 2 bascially except minus all the fun RvR stuff that made warhammer great - theres nothin next gen about it
  15. Dec 31, 2011
    Ok rift has not bring revolution to mmorpg genre. It seem to follow the same path like wow and any other wow clone in mmorpg. Same boring quests, same gameplay mechanics , boring pvp.
    Is not bad game if you never play again a mmoprg but is boring for a veteran in this genre. The game has some good moment like the nice graphics and the open world and a nice idea for the randomly invasion of
    mob through rifts. Expand
  16. Mar 4, 2011
    As per many RPG's, get past the mundane starting zones and you will find this is a quality MMO. Yes it is a blatant rip-off of WoW, but there are enough differences to keep it seperate. I must say, I was disappointed for the first day I played, loved it the second day, now I am thoroughly enjoying myself. Be patient and give it a go and you will find yourself hooked.
  17. May 13, 2011
    RIFT is a well polished game that brings many popular aspects of other MMOs together. The random zone events make for some fun times as you team up with your fellow players fend off planar invasions. The "Soul Tree" class system allows for the creation of a unique character though some combinations will ultimatly shine through as the standards. If you are looking for a change of scenary in a MMO then RIFT is worth a try, but it doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table. Expand
  18. Jan 1, 2012
    I'll tell you what, after playing SWTOR this game feels like the most innovative game in the universe. Seriously, good lord. So anyway, this game is basically a cookie cutter theme park mmo, but it's probably the most stream lined and polished one I've played. The rifts are the gimmick of this game and they are pretty fun, but can get a little annoying at times. Still, it's a nice addition. The best thing about this game - the developers. Crazy thing I know, but it's true. They pump out INSANE amounts of content, easily more than double or triple most other mmo companies, and it's not just crap content. I have a lot of respect for a company like this, and they address what players ask for.

In general the game has a lot of nice features: great UI, rifts and zone events are awesome, constant world events, collection system, nice exploration carrots like puzzles and so forth, robust achievement system with rewards, alternate advancement system, nice realistic graphics, world full of immersion with npc chatter and scripted activities, swimming, day / night, weather, creatures, etc (if you've played SWTOR you've seen the exact opposite of world immersion). The game does have negatives though like only 1 starter zone each, minimal races to choose from and they are all humanoid, lacking pvp, generic quest types, typical end game mechanics of raid or pvp, generic questing, smallish community, etc.
  19. Feb 28, 2014
    Played for 3 days until lvl 20
    Good things : graphics similar to Guild wars 1, sound, rifts, mounts, special items used during quests, skills tree
    less : no story lines, quests similar after a moment, need 5 players to sign for guild creation, dungeons mobs
    Game play : 5, graphics : 6, Back ground : 6, lifetime : 6, sound : 7
  20. Mar 10, 2011
    Game has problems with connection and performance. 50 pages of tech problem thread in 7 days speak for themselves. Customer support is awful. Gameplay: Kill and fetch PvE quest system. Farm'n grind, nothing new. Several different currencies allow for specialized grinding. Rift events are permanently popping up everywhere and not challenging. PvP is chaotic, restricted, unbalanced and pointless (no gain whatsoever if the other player was attacked by a mob). If I was able to play it I'd rate it 4/10. But I get disconnected on a regular basis, so the game is unplayable = 0/10. Continuing to wait for Guild Wars 2.â Expand
  21. Sep 23, 2011
    The best MMO ive played since beating my addiction to WoW. The soul system is fantastic, allowing you to personalize your own character to how you want to play it.. granted that certain soul combinations are used more then others and work the best, but that doesnt stop the option being there. :)
  22. Mar 18, 2011
    Got a rogue to level 30, then quit playing. 0 interest in ever playing this game again. It was fun till level 25, then it just got boring. Maybe i'm not in the right mindset for mmo's at the moment.
  23. Mar 28, 2011
    The game has balance issues in both pve and pvp, there are many talents in tree's that don't work, one was giving 100% armor penetration instead of 1% how this gets through alpha, beta and has been in the game for awhile is baffling, the only pvp in the game is a grind and the maximum pvp level can be achieved in a few days.
    There are no arenas or rated clan vs clan warfronts and they have
    stated in interviews they will not add them, so the new problem is premades are vsing public groups which is unfair.

The good thing about the game is that it only takes 3 days played time to hit max level. It doesn't feel like to big a waste of time when you realize you've rolled the gimp class(rogue).
  24. Apr 4, 2011
    There is really nothing NEW here that hasn't been done before. The fanboi excitement reviews are just because they are bored with WOW or never played an MMO before. The first thing I noticed is the game is tooooo solo friendly and hardly anyone wants to group prior to level 50. The game is tooooooo EASY as I leveledup without worry and pretty much stomped everything in my path as I was beating mobs 4 levels higher than me quite early in the game all the way to 50. The death penalty is a joke. You don't lose anything but a small amount of time getting back to your corpse and a few gold coins to get your abilities back to 100%. The market is dead because the leveling is TOO FAST. I went to level 12 the first day. To level 30 the first 3 days and level 50 by the end of 7 days. There's no challenge in that and the combat is so repetitive you can roll your face across the keyboard and beat anything. The skills and spells are dry and just don't stand out like say an Everquest version. In Everquest I really felt I was my character and really felt FEAR of dying and losing stuff. There's not a bit of fear in this game and as I said the death penalty is a joke.
    The colors for characters are bland as well.. Too much BROWN and Grays. THe weapons are horrible looking and there's no procs so nothing stands out as "OHHHHH I WANT DAT!". Boring colors, boring looking and just an overall boring game. To me this is a game for 8 to 10 year olds. It's that easy and then they can go..."Looky Mommy I beat dah bad guy Look Mommy LOOK!" lmao

The community isn't really friendly especially on the official forums. I've never seen so many negative comments on a game in my life. I mean this game really sucks it's that bad. You're better off waiting for Guild Wars 2.
  25. Feb 21, 2014
    Rift scores positive points for their unique talent system (souls). However, the system was also hard to balance. Loved the open world events (Rifts). High marks on innovation.
  26. Aug 16, 2011
    Did you play WoW? Did you enjoy WoW? Would you like to play WoW again, with slightly improved graphics and completely improved and innovated, well, nothing else? If you answered yes to these three questions, then perhaps Rift is for you. The game features loads typical MMO fare, replete with endless grinding, enemies completely devoif of personality, shoddy combat animations, weightless weapon strikes, repetitive click fests while fighting and a never-ending need to craft items for the sake of crafting items. As for the game's namesake, the Rifts are an interesting mechanic. Unfortunately, you really just end up staring at the same invasion time and again, day after day and even hour after hour. Watching the same mobs and same boss invade 10 minutes after you just defeated that invasion really kills the fun. If you can find any in this endless grindfest to begin with. A must play for hardcore MMO lovers; a must avoid for everyone looking for a game with any sort of personality. Expand
  27. Jun 9, 2011
    Been there done that. Nothing new to make the game call itself it's own. Something new to look at and better graphics. If this was my first paying MMO ever I would keep going with it but it's not. If your looking for ranked PVP you won't find it here. Devs themselves stated they will not implement ranked arenas but there is battlegrounds for those light pvpers. Combat a lot like WoW, nothing new except learning mechanics for the bosses. Expand
  28. Mar 16, 2011
    Hand's down the best MMO at launch since WoW, speaking of WoW if you love it but now hate it take a vacation from Azeroth and come on down. after talking to a lot about the Cata launch this just may be the bigger change of pace you need with no hit to quality. it all feels familiar yet different. While far more drastic that Coke Vs Pepsi it is easily a matter of taste between the 2. Overall the game is nicely balanced both in terms of what you can do and what you charter can be an has potential for improvement. Expand
  29. Jan 4, 2012
    Coming from EQ, DAoC, Warhammer, and WoW, this game seems to be a mixture of the best features from all of those games blended into one. The graphics look great on any system, but if you have a high-end rig, it really looks beautiful. It has been awhile since a MMO has sucked me in like RIFT has. I highly recommend it to gaming vets and newcomers alike. Give it a chance, you might like it.
  30. Apr 7, 2012
    Great graphics, great storyline, great gameplay!
    Absolutely fantastic MMO i ever played, you guys would really love this baby, if you ever played MMO before then i know that this will the best MMO u ever play :)
  31. Mar 3, 2011
    Great game. Feels very new innovations to the MMORPG gaming field. Classes are very creative as you can mix and match and find what you like most. No longer are you restricted so heavily. Graphics are beautiful. Anyone who knocks this game hasnt really played it. They are probably just a die hard wow fanatic who compares everything to a piece of junk like wow.
  32. Mar 21, 2011
    Not a huge fan, it is a wow clone with some good ideas but not enough balance to last long, most users on it will go back to games like wow which is far superior or wait for the new mmo's incoming like gw2 or swtor
  33. Mar 11, 2011
    This is one of the best MMOs I have played since Vanilla WoW. The Questing and Leveling, while traditional and linear, is enjoyable, as well as Rifts (Public Quests) and the Planar Invasions that go along with them. This game has very good graphics for a mmo, which helps with good environmental design,(Iron Pine Peaks is probably the best Snowy region a mmo has ever done to date). And good class system also adds to the enjoyment. Expand
  34. Jul 19, 2011
    Excellent MMO for both newcomers to the genre and those tired of WoW. After logging about 100 hours on Rift, I decided to open up WoW just to see what it felt like, and soon realized that I simply could not return to azeroth after experiencing what I now consider to be the best MMO currently on the market. Like others have said, the graphics (if you are capable of running the game, that is) are beautiful and the scenery will blow you away in comparison to WoW's cartoony locales and characters. The first time I saw the city of Meridian towering in the distance across the fields of freemarch, I knew I had stumbled upon something special. The gameplay, while similar to WoW and most other MMORPG's, is still fun and as addicting as ever. Admittedly, there is still a lot of content to be added to the game, but I have faith in Trion and believe that they are serious about listening to the community. Don't listen to the Blizzard/WoW fanboys, Rift is a top-of-the-line MMO and your money and time will not be wasted if you choose to take the plunge and adventure in Telara. You owe it to yourself to at least try this game. Expand
  35. Apr 10, 2011
    Anyone giving this game a zero is just wasting everybody's time. Is it the best game ever? No. Is it completely awful? No. It's a very decent WoW clone and isn't pretending to be anything else. Poor game balance and other teething problems don't deserve a 0. If you're looking for a replacement for WoW this is probably your game.
  36. Oct 2, 2011
    Before I went to Rift I had been playing World of Warcraft for about 2,5 years. I was tired off the same game all over again (it wasn't a bad experience though) and I was looking for a fresh new experience. I've been playing Rift for a while now and I must say Trion did an excellent job in creating Rift. The visuals are extremely well, movement is smooth, and there's a ton of things to do. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that quests are still the standard quests we know from the MMORPG industry. Kill x, Go to x, Click x. Expand
  37. May 18, 2013
    Great game in theory, quite enjoyed beta testing this game and early retail
    in the end though it was to small, to short, to confined for a MMORPG
    Voiced NPCs would have also helped greatly as most folks just ingored the typing and choose the one option that made most sense to them. Talking to players at end game I would say 7 in 10 honestly had no idea what the storyline while leveling
    up was because they didnt need to read it.

Good game that could have been much much much better

I have not tried the new expansion that brought forth many changes
  38. Nov 18, 2013
    Get quest, kill 5/5 things, return, get reward. Repeat.

This game is junk following in the WoW gameplay style, and brings nothing new to the table.
  39. Mar 18, 2011
    Right now the user positive reviews are 108 where the negative ones are 14 which says something on its own. I won't say anything more than that Rift is similar, if not better, in content and gameplay to WoW and it barely just launched. The present and future for this game looks bright. On the other hand WoW had no future since its first expansion. Congrats to Trion.
  40. Mar 1, 2011
    Excellent and extremely diverse class system. The world isn't stale like you find in many other MMOs. I've routinely had a goal in mind and been pulled into the world events. I am a casual player and I like it a lot more than WoW. I always hate to make that comparison, but it needs to be made. The only downside I can specify right now is that the server gets laggy during larger events. However, I suppose this will be refined as this game develops. There are a lot of people playing which is a plus and most seem to really like the game. I'd also like to state that the game seems to be quite a bit more challenging on the PvE side of the fence which I personally like. Overall this game is quite impressive. A must buy for any MMO fan. Expand
  41. Mar 1, 2011
    I played lots of mmos in my gaming years, but boy I was really impressed by this one. Game itself is total ripoff from everything you saw in every mmorpg you can think of, but these guys took only the best things, improved them in lots of ways, and wrap them together in fabulous package. Public quests, superior auction house, excellent PvP and dungeons, tons of action (youll never get bored here), you name it, rift got it. Best polished and bugfree mmo game I ever played on launch day. If you liked any mmorpg out there ever, buy this one, you wont be dissapointed. Expand
  42. Mar 19, 2011
    This is a very good game. Its not quite as polished as Warcraft but, considering this has just released, that is to be expected. The level of polish it does have, however, is amazing. The visuals in this game are absolutely astounding outside of the opening areas and I really did believe that I was fighting in a Great War in a fantasy world - very well done to the developers for achieving this level of immersion. As I just mentioned, however, the opening areas where you will begin your journey are a bit cliched and not as good looking as the other areas in the game so I am going to substract a couple of points for that. The character creation and progression systems are also very well realised. At a time when World of Warcraft is cutting choice when it comes to our characters in half (all talent trees chopped to pieces, less spells, less customization), Rift has given the (obvious?) option of having 3 talent trees. The result of this is a set of skills, powers, spells and abilities that could be utterly unique if you wish it to be or the fad of the month if you play that way. When it comes to pvp Rift has some battlegrounds that are very innovative compared to the tired, boring, 6 year old "capture the flag" and "resource battles" that WoW keeps on pumping out, having taken ideas from console pvp games such as HALO and Gears of War. Lastly, World of Warcrafts graphical engine, having been developed in 1999 is starting to show its age. I will always be the first to say that gameplay is more important than graphics but what if you could have a game that has WoWs gameplay with mind blowing, next-gen, immersive graphics? That game is Rift. Because of the poor starting areas that nearly made me quit, the stupid story and the fact that it is not quite as polished as World of Warcraft, I am going to subtract 1.5 points from ten (0.5 minus for each bad point) and give this game a very well deserved 8.5. If you are bored of World of Warcraft I urge you to give this cheeky little game a shot. I hope you enjoy Rift as much as I have and let me just finally add that the PVE RP server EU has a very good community. Expand
  43. Mar 23, 2011
    It's been a month now. I love MMO's when they are fresh and still retain that new game smell. I tend to rush and tell my friends about the most amazing game I am playing, then a few weeks later the shine is gone and I hardly remember a thing about it. Most recently I drug friends and family through the launches of champions online, Aion, Warhammer Online and Fallen Earth. Each time I was excited about the games and how awesome they are. They weren't awesome, they were just new and a little different.

Rift, played the game in all of the beta phases. Loved it. Absolutely adored it. I bought the CE and a 6 month subscription. I got my brother inlaw to do the same. "Dude, so many soul choices, build what you like!", he was sold.

It's now been a month of release and tonight I get a text from my inlaw "r u logging on tonight?", no I am not. The magic is gone and here's my thoughts:

Classic Trinity. Warrior tanks, Cleric heals, Mage dps. We were supposed to be past this, but we're not because Rift is a clone. Rift is a mashup of WoW and Warhammer. You will hit the level cap within a week without trying, once there you will have nothing to do but join Warfronts (pvp battlegrounds) and hope your team has less bots and afk'ers.

Bots are EVERYWHERE. Just pause for a moment in town and watch the characters run on rails following a scripted path. Why are people botting? For one, there's no cheat detection built into Rift. There's a program called rifterrorhandler which just scans what programs you're running to make sure it's not cheatengine or something easy to spot. But any cheat or bot that is not listed will not be caught. The next factor is the level cap, there's not much to do at 50 other than very tedious pvp battles for rank. Join a warfront at any level and you will quickly notice that sometimes half of your team isn't moving. That's the afk'ers. They just run a script that let's them join warfronts and collect xp for your hard work. The other people on the team may be bots. Does Leggolas always jump down to the left of spawn and wander off to the side instead of heading to the objective while ignoring your pleas for help? That's a bot. Since release bots have invaded the game without any action from Trion.

Hackers. Rift was released with an exploit that allowed anyone to access your account and take your items and money. A large chunk of the population was hit by this exploit and it has been weeks since it happened and customer support refuses to help them.

Customer support. Pretty much non-existent. Trion Worlds contracts out their support staff to a company called Rightnow, which is ironic because if you need help it won't be right now, it will be much much later. It could have something to do with having customer support based in Nigeria (not a joke), check their own link https://trionworlds.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/478/~/how-do-i-contact-trion-support%3F

I have canceled my account with Rift. I look forward to the next shiny new MMO to hit the market and again I will try and hold off on a rushed review.
  44. Apr 15, 2011
    Rift doesn't do much to separate itself from other Fantasy MMO's established on the market. Most complaints about the game compare it to WoW, which is unfair. It has gone to great lengths to make itself NOT WoW. It's difficult to write a review without comparing it to other games, as, everything in the game has been done before in other games. Rifts and invasions are nothing more than Public Quests from Warhammer, all dungeons are instanced, like all MMO's since 2004, and the base classes fall under the Rogue, Mage, Cleric, Warrior template.

But, this is where Rift differentiates itself from the pack. With the base classes, there are 8 sub-classes to mix and match to each particular players playstyle. And, by switching roles, you can play different 'soul' combinations, completely changing the make up of the character. Each role can be up to 3 souls (4 souls with End game loots) of the 8, and you can have up to 4 different roles with these souls. Each soul has 2 trees within the 3 souls, where points are spent going 'up' the tree, and the more points put into a soul unlocks traits going 'down' the tree. The combinations are endless! Rogues, having a bard soul, can be back up healers. Mages, with a Chloromancer soul, can be healers, Clerics and Rogues can be tanks... the combos add for a lot of fun. And, that is also a bit of it's downfall. Having so many choices can really overwhelm some players, and thankfully there is no 'magic combination' to having the perfect class. Players are encouraged to play and build the character they want, not follow some formula for face melting.

The game was inundated with naysayers throughout the first month, but, now that the free month is over, it's settled down into a quality game that delivers what it promises. PVP is still being 'balanced' and that is the biggest complaint of the game at this point. For PVE, the game is quite good, aside from the copious amounts of creatures that will plague the players every step, quite literally. Movement in the game can be frustrating fighting through waves of mobs, especially when following roads, through areas beyond the lowbie zone of Freemarch.

I enjoy what Trion has offered in terms of MMO's, but, it's a difficult market to break into with so many choices. There are some things WoW won't be able to steal from Rift, but is it enough to warrant the monthly charge over other more established games? The truth is in the tagline for the game: "We're not in Azeroth anymore." Their marketing strategy is to offer a game that isn't WoW. Those sick of WoW will find a fun, well put together game, but not quite as expansive or all encompassing behemoth that WoW has become. Those expecting the game to be WoW will be surprised at the differences. It is a different game, but, in the end, it is an MMO.
  45. May 17, 2011
    Could not stop playing this game for about 100 hours, now I have a hard time continuing. I loved the environments and the rifts were a great idea. This game is of course very hard to play by yourself, and can get boring when just killing a bunch of the same enemies. The overall scale of some of the monsters is great! Try not to get excited when you see the titanic baddies running at you. Overall a lot of fun but i could see a lot of people dropping their subscription after 100ish hours. Expand
  46. Dec 15, 2013
    Rift's class system is amazing. The interface, the graphics, everything technical in this game is smooth and well designed. The only thing that's not so is the writing and quests. They handle f2p really well in this game too. It's well worth playing.
  47. Apr 16, 2012
    I played rift til level 30, its a WoW clone like AoC and most MMO's out there...if you like that stuff you'll love Rift its WoW in a new setting, ofc it has all the old problems WoW did, Elitism over gear, unbalanced class's that can solo better than others, in fact solo elites in a bikini and not lose any health from what i saw and heard....if you are a power player and like no challenge and bragging rights its a game for you....the Clerics and Mages don't even need to rest or buy drinks, I believe the phrase the players use is "Duracel" Clerics and "Energizer" mages....they seem to be oblivious of the fact that if you are fighting elites solo and not losing health the game is broken badly. The macro system is also a leet kids wet dream of convenience and mash this button to win gameplay, the players didn't even talk to each other in instances or when they did it was a novelty thing, sad proof that tactics and teamwork were not required in this so called MULTIPLAYER game...try the trial don't buy it like i did you'll regret it, if you're an old school fairplay gamer like me...unless they fundamentally change it in the new patch which i haven't seen any signs of, i'm not going back....bring on a balanced MMO someone please! sheesh or even something vaguely original lol...i ask too much obviously! apologies *sighes and heads back to skyrim with his tail between his legs*
    It gets 5 for the cool Rift effects!
  48. Mar 2, 2011
    First things first. People need to understand that Rift is a very traditional MMORPG. If you played WoW, Everquest 2, or Warhammer, than Rift will feel very familiar to you. But is that necessarily a bad thing? In the case of Rift? Not at all. I'm not a professional game critic, so I'm not going to dive in to every aspect of the game. But, I will let you know right now that one of the aspects really that shine in Rift, would be the classes. There are four primary classes, Mage, Warrior, Rogue, and Cleric. Don't let the number four fool you, because technically Rift has thirty-six classes. Let me explain. Each class that you choose has 9 skill trees (souls). Each class can choose three of those souls to shove skill points in to. So lets say you're playing a Warrior, and you're going to be soloing quite a bit. Maybe you'll want a companion? You can choose the Beastmaster soul. Well, you got a pet now, but maybe you also want to be a dual weapon specialist and dish out lots of damage, you can choose the Paragon soul as well. Well, maybe you want to buff your weapons with elemental power. Then go ahead and pick the Riftblade soul as well.

So basically you're a dual wielding warrior with fire swords and a pet. And that's basically how it works. But remember there are still 6 other souls to work with, and one of them is specifically dedicated to the PvPer.
  49. Jun 16, 2011
    I feel there's something missing. Rifts and invasions were fun for a little while and I liked tinkering with the soul tree, but after that it was just another mediocre MMO.
  50. May 13, 2012
    Don't bother with this one. It's so derivative that it fails to create it's own uniqueness. It may have fun technical features, but it lacks soul. Borrowing heavily from World of Warcraft and Warhammer Online, it fails to be better than either and instead settles as a solid "time filler" while you wait for better games to come out. The animations are poor, the music is generic, and the performance is all over the place. The community is also the absolute worst I've seen in a MMO, and I've played many. When I made a new character on the Seastone, I said "Hi, I'm new to the game" on local chat and everyone told me to "GTFO." So after giving this game 3 weeks of my time, I decided I'd rather not play with a bunch of immature kids who bought time cards at Walmart because they're not old enough to use credit cards, and find something better to do with my time. Expand
  51. Dec 4, 2012
    Rift has a lot of great things going for it, but needs a lot too. The fights are confusing as heck, especially coming from WoW, and end game is very disappointing. The world looks AMAZING and the mounts and mobs are awesome, but the weapon and armor are completely "meh", could use a Korean touch. The rifts are super fun and always give you something to do, the quests are decent and engaging and world events are sufficiently fun - but the instanced encounters are a mess.

And the community is both good and bad - they're friendly and helpful in general, it's not full of trolls like WoW, but in instances everyone treats it like a speed run and doesn't talk. So you don't get a chance to learn anything unless you're doing guild runs. I played for 6 months and gave up on end game, levelling the different classes is really fun but ends at level 60 =(.

The game looks amazing and has excellent playability - from fully customizable UI to complex talent trees that can be swapped out and customized endlessly. The game feels polished and well thought out, but boss mechanics need to be more transparent.
  52. Mar 20, 2011
    Rift is a fantastic MMO, and a worthy successor to the WoW player. It has the beauty of Guild Wars with the (positive) MMO experience of WoW, with a huge game world and the added randomness of rift activity that means the zone is never quite the same from one day to the next. My absolute favorite part is that we CAN converse with the opposing faction in the /s context, which is great for rift coordination or talking smack depending on the server style you choose. There is also a tremendous amount of flexibility in the spec design (souls): up to 4 preset soul combinations, and each of those 4 can be reset and the souls changed at any time. What that means in terms of gameplay is that my rogue can quest/farm with a ranged spec, tank with another spec, become a stealthy assassin with a 3rd, or a healer with the 4th. That is the ultimate in toon flexibility, and is true for three of the four class types (I think mage is the only one without a tanking tree option). Expand
  53. Jul 30, 2011
    This game is nothing more than a WOW clone with some improvements and fine touches here and there, few bugs and a very prompt developer studio when it comes to patches and adding content so far. the graphics are very nice although while running the game using the recommended hardware, FPS starts to drop at medium settings. The Soul engine is a nice addition to RPG, but it does not work very well and it confuses players ranging from newbies to mmo veterans. The crafting is an absolute joke, there is nothing new here, the same professions you can find in any other fantasy mmo and leveling them up is a child's play. The quests add nothing new to the genre, same kill X, gather Y time intensive tasks to keep you more in game. The gear and items are basically the same as in most mmos, I encountered dozens of profession items that have the same icons and names and probably even prices wow has. I have to admit the Rifts are probably the best addition especially because it really makes players group together via the auto grouping feature so at least they are trying to not make it another solo rpg. All in all it is not worth it, either if you want an alternative to wow (and I'm comparing it to wow because Trion marketed this game as a better, more polished alternative to the giant). So in conclusion this looked to me as a game especially made so that Trion can grab a big share of the mmo market and grow some capital. Honestly, you get more atmosphere and involvement from LOTRO (which is free) that this game. On the other hand, I am more curious on their upcoming game Defiance, I hope it will sur class this yet another second hand fantasy mmo. Expand
  54. Jan 23, 2014
    It's a decent game with nice but 'rigid' graphics. Gameplay could be a bit awkward to one used to the likes of Ultima Online or Neverwinter Nights and AI is a bit on the 'stupid side'. The game in itself is very little compelling, it's boring (in everything.. from graphics, to monsters, to quests) and party with someone else is boring too. I have not found any decent player to form a real party to do PvE, everyone is busy on doing its things even if it's playing inside a party. And the talking system does not help at all since it's akward (where it was the center of the game in Ultima Online for example). I give it a & but I could have done better with my time. Expand
  55. May 30, 2011
    If you are a fan of WoW then Rift will blow you away . Rift is the game that WoW wanted to be. visually stunning, epic story line, game play is flawless in every way. If you are a fan of MMo's I would advice that you do not miss this game.
  56. Mar 5, 2011
    A uniquely polished game. It combines all the great elements from previous MMO's and creates a solid experience. Spiritual successor to EQ2? I think so! Trion's well poised to become a common name amongst gamers.
  57. Mar 13, 2011
    I give this an average score for an average game

There's nothing special about it. It's just blah.

Skip this if youre playing one already. If you're pining for an MMO, then play a free one until something good comes along this year
  58. Mar 15, 2011
    I wasnt particularly expecting to get sucked into this game. I had tried Aeon when it came out here because i was trying to find a new game to recapture that feeling of discovery that i used to have with WoW. but that place didnt grab me and the controls felt clunky. so i wasn't expecting to get sucked into this the way WoW grabbed me when it was released. But I seem to be willingly giving the game a lot of my time.

This game seems to just take a lot of how wow does things and run with it. So getting into it is easy. The part that is making this place exciting for me, is the rifts. once you get out of the starter zone (lvl5 or so?) you're in a leveling zone where these rifts and invasions and whatnot happen. you go to deal with them, and you join a public group (if you want) with the click of a button. and you're in a raid before you hit lvl 10! sometimes the entire zone is under attack, and it feels like an entirely new place. its exciting how these events go down, and the more you chase down rifts, you get a different kind of currency. my toon is lvl 16 or so, and i already bought her a "blue" quality weapon and chest-piece with the spoils from chasing rifts. But invasions may happen a little too often. Sometimes I just want to quest, but the world is in chaos and you're quest-giver is busy. and when you're a lower toon, theres a limit to how much you can help. a lvl 9 sabateur's bombs dont do much to a lvl 18 invader...except attain dangerous aggro sometimes.

Then theres the class system. I'm really enjoying that. you can mix and match taking 3 out of 8 specializations within each class. each with its own talent tree. there is some redundancy where theres no reason to use the skill from tree A when the skill from B does exactly the same thing with no cooldown, but they all have unique things as well. Its fun to try to build an interesting new class. I enjoy the freedom of choice but there's a lot of options, and when it comes to setting up a character for roles in instances it can get a little confusing trying to decide on the best way to spend your points. I dont know if i made good choices, but they are fun to play so screw it.

Lastly, the game has been REMARKABLY STABLE! i remember when WoW came out there were server crashes galore. Hotfixes up the ying-yang trying to keep the game stable. I have not experienced a single server crash yet. I havent even had a crash locally yet. Finally an MMO that really finished Beta in Beta and released a fully functional game. Bravo Trion!

Anyways, i'm enjoying it, and i suggest giving it a shot. I'm gonna give it an 8 because theres a ton of 10s and i'm not really that deep in yet, but its a really enjoyable game so far.â
  59. Mar 15, 2011
    An amazing MMO that has me hooked. I usually get bored of MMOs quickly, but not Rift. It has content, story, pacing, environment all fleshed out. I hope to see this game flourish because it deserves it.
  60. Mar 15, 2011
    Rift is what i would consider to be the culmination of many of the best ideas in the MMO market to date. It capitalizes on many of the features that have made those before it great. There is not really anything revolutionary about Rift, but that's OK as i think Trion did a good job with the evolutionary steps they made with each system, from the world events that you can choose to partake in, to the highly flexible class system, you'll see the hallmarks of the past (and current) greats all around you. One feature i particularly like is the Public Grouping option. If you're running after that elusive named mob somewhere in the world, and you see someone else just about to attack it, there is no need to panic. Just select the other player, and click the little "Join Group" button at the top of their portrait. Once the mob has been dispatched (you did actually help kill it, right?), you both get credit and can continue on your separate ways. Expand
  61. Mar 27, 2011
    Takes all the aspects we love from MMOs such as WoW and WAR, removes all the garbage and fat, and leaves us with an interesting blend that is familiar but well crafted. Add to this better graphics and pvp than it's predecessors and Rift is an all around excellent MMO experience.
  62. Jul 16, 2011
    The only way to get even close to objectivity, I have attempted the past few days to take a step back and make a list of things I like about the game. On the same sheet of paper I tried to record day to day what the Official Rift Forum Community says most about the gameâ
  63. Mar 6, 2011
    Delivery problems aside, this has to be pretty much the slickest MMO launch for years (if not ever). The game is remarkably polished and extremely fun today. Sure it's not a gaming revolution, it's an evolution taking what's good in there genre and trying to improve on it, and adding their own little twists. So on getting out the stable door.. 10/10 this game will live or die by it's scheduled updates and community attitude! Expand
  64. Aug 25, 2011
    Rift is just a very well designed game. It doesn't try to re-invent the wheel. Trion has seen things that work, and things that don't, and developed a game accordingly. The few bad parts about this game are more than overcompensated by the steady influx of new content.
  65. Mar 5, 2011
    I had a lot of doubts in 2009 when this game was Heroes of Telara, but over the last two years it has really become something worth playing. The controls and core gameplay are familiar, but the level of polish is excellent. Moreover, the Rifts and the huge invasions have kept me up later and later over the last few nights since launch. The world feels dangerous, yet I feel like my character, because I got to choose my classes, is powerful enough to stand tall. A+ Expand
  66. Mar 5, 2011
    Incredible and fully featured MMO...finally!!

After years of half finished, buggy, broken MMO games we have the next step in MMO gaming. What WoW was to Everquest Rift is to WoW. It's incredibly polished with loads and loads of content. It unique, fun, thrilling dynamic Rift system that can take over town hubs and the like if you don't stop it and an amazing class system allowing you to
    create the class of your dreams. Highly recommended. Expand
  67. Jun 1, 2011
    I'm a long-time MMO whore, and have tried perhaps two dozen, including all of the major ones. Rift is essentially a "best of" collection of MMO ideas that came before it, with a few small innovations of its own. If you have played World of Warcraft then you will be instantly at home with the interface and msot of the character advancement concepts, but the talent trees and character customization are far beyond WoW's meager offerings. Despite being a better game overall, this isn't a WoW-killer - it's too similar for that - but it's the first legitimate competition that game has seen. If you like fantasy-based MMOs, you should at least check out the 7 day free trial; this is currently the best MMO on the market. Expand
  68. Mar 21, 2011
    This game doesn't reinvent the wheel. But it is an awfully nice wheel.

Playing this game felt like I was playing old school "Vanilla Warcraft" before Blizzard they decided to try and level past the old content as fast as possible. Also, the graphics are pretty good and often remind me of a high-fantasy novel, instead of a cartoon-anime-fantasy setting like Warcraft has become.
  69. Mar 26, 2011
    I bought Rift with a couple of guild mates from Wow. We needed a break and that is definitely what we found in rift. The first thing I noticed when I stepped into the beginners zone was how beautiful the game looked and sounded. I don't have the best computer but even at medium settings it looks great. The class system is a nice fresh way to get different specs as well, when you can mix and match what ever you would like to make a tank, dps or healer on nearly every class. The random rift openings and invasions help to keep things fresh for a bit, and the fact that you can jump into a public group and take care of these events or even jump into a group to finish a quest is great. But in the end Rift is still a MMO and you will still get a multitude of quests of go here and kill this many enemies and then take this letter to that guy three feet from me because I'm too lazy. Rift is a great game and if you enjoy MMO's or are curious to play one this is a good game for you. Expand
  70. Apr 20, 2011
    I played Wow from the very beginning, and gave Warhammer online a good go however it was fairly poor but now Rift has come along and been a very pleasant surprise. It looks beautiful, plays smoothly and I am very impressed with every aspect of the game, as it is just a pleasure to play. I agree that it has taken the best bits from other MMOâ
  71. May 29, 2011
    Rift decided WoW is a genre and added to it this game has been methodically conceived and implemented. The development must have been tightly perfected because it preforms really, really well and with no compromise. Few places are completely safe for a character so the entire experience is much more lively. World combat features that were limited to special events (eg, zombie invasion) or zones (eg, halaa) in WoW are accessible in different modes of play all over the map. The originality of this game is in the technology instead of the immersion, and on the latter Trion is making no pretense.
    This is the best example of a mainstream MMO right now and would deserve a 10, but I can't give it a higher rating because may God help you if your account is plundered.
  72. Aug 23, 2011
    This game is terrible. The graphics are just not as pretty as these reviews make them out to be. The gameplay is generic, leaving you with almost too many options. It's such a shameless WOW clone, just play wow... I can't believe I fell for that and bought this. I fell through giant bugs in the map at several points, and then the servers were down like half the time I wanted to get on to play. I played appx. 3 hours and I never plan on touching this game again. I wish I could take it out from my steam account. Expand
  73. Mar 28, 2014
    Average MMO, yet highly likable and polished.

I first played RIFT at beta and early release before going back to my regular MMO of the time. I've been without a regular MMO and despite waiting for elder scrolls, most of my friends are on RIFT. In short, RIFT was 'something to do'. However.

RIFT has the unique advantage of having an entirely original world, base, and story. At first
    glance the game world doesn't have the glamour and lore of a game such as LOTRO or SWTOR, but RIFT doesn't lack in quality.

The content is very versatile and available from level 1 to cap. Low level instances are fun, higher level players can scale down to do content. The main concept of the game, the rifts, are random and open. As hordes of monsters enter the landscape, a global quest, shared by all appears for that area. Players have to defeat invaders and aid each other to close the rifts and defeat the bosses. Not only is this fun, it has the ingenious advantage of encouraging group play without being forced or non existent.

The thing that impressed me the most this second time round of trying RIFT was the number of players in the starting and low level areas, in short, they are packed. Other games are devoid of players upto cap level areas, RIFT is populated throughout and the level scaling plays a great part in this.

The character skill trees are extensive and work well, there is plenty of choice for building the role you want.

The RIFT store is accessible by a small icon among the usual cluster of buttons for various menus you expect to see on the UI, it is not forced in anyway and functional. The reason I mention the store is for the way it entirely prevents gold selling. Players can buy a barter item for points which typically sells for a large amount of in game currency, not exactly my cup of tea however no gold sellers is a plus for an MMO.

RIFT is well worth playing, and free to play.
  74. Apr 14, 2011
    Just when I think it's getting a little repetitive, I'm sent on a mission with a twist. This is definitely a game that discourages you from the "grind". Missions are definitely the quickest way to advancement and many missions can only be tackled in groups. Rift events are large scale battles where players have to work together. The class system offers tons of combinations. I wish there were ways to easily network for tackling the harder missions. It's sometimes hard to get people with common goals (based on quests) together (PvP or PvE). If they made this easier, the game would be perfect.

I run this game with two GTX 580s and an i7-960. Graphics are great for this genre. When I first started it up, the graphics were at a default lower setting and it still looked great. Good game for different levels of graphical capability.

I played SWG about 5 years ago and this game seems to be leaps and bounds beyond that. It's a lot of fun and addictive.
  75. Mar 1, 2011
    It looks good, it feels great. Very smooth launch so far, great zones and the rift system is engaging and highly immersive. Will it kill WoW? Who cares, WoW needs decent competition and Rift is a great contender.

Rift doesn't pretend to reinvent anything, it takes the best bits from other games and rolls them into a great iteration of the fantasy MMO genre. Kudos to Trion, great job!
  76. Apr 22, 2011
    Definitely overrated game. Certainly better than other MMO releases within the last 3 or 4 years, but nothing special or new. Pros- beautiful graphics; great scaling with system compatibility; extreme character variety; smooth launch and updates; fresh take on PvP; non-instanced raids; takes the best from well-played MMOs and bundles them.
    Cons- the grind: same old linear quests;
    single player is far too easy, no one forms parties or even chats; PvP is chaotic and unbalanced-but at least it is not WoW garbage; horribly convoluted lore; character classes have too much variablility- I wanted to build a melee healer (Justicar) but the lack of abilities and DPS forced me to cast (Purifier) ranged spells all the time. Most character builds oddly end up performing in a similar fashion despite the vast breadth of choices for development. ---I wish this game luck because WoW veterans (I started in 2004) have been starving for a decent MMO again. Expand
  77. Mar 7, 2011
    What sets this game apart is the zone wide events, customizable talent trees, and Raiding in the game world instead of an instance. I can't say that this is a superb game quite yet, because i am VERY picky about games. This game doesn't live up to my insane high quality standards, but it does do a decent job of being a typical MMORPG. There is definitely a grind in this game, but it isn't terrible. I am giving this a low score because I am an explorer type player and an altoholic as well. I love choice and being encouraged to chose what I want to do and how I want to do it. It is the starting experience I am not liking at all and the linear leveling zones with little to no choice at the moment. Not that this will never change though. A year from now and this game could be really quite amazing. I have to say that this game in my opinion just won't compete against SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 at all. Once those two games come out, either at the same time or seperately, rift will not be able to compete at all. It just doesn't have the amazing Bioware team with loyal established fans nor the already established ArenaNet to help it out. I say this game will be $30 or less by the fall of 2011, and probably talking about buy to play or free to play by spring 2012. Expand
  78. Mar 7, 2011
    Having played just about every MMO out there, this is by far the smoothest launch in a long, long time. Server's are busy without being too busy, every running very nicely. On to the game - as previous reviewers have said, this game basically takes all of the best features of the best MMOs and adds a ton of polish. Talent trees from wow become the Soul System - much better Public quests from warhammer become rifts - much better
    User Interface from Wow is taken and improved a load, its like playing wow with a load of add ons (like bartender) pre-installed - much better
    Questing from Wow cataclysm is taken pretty much as-is - you get a fairly linear questing structure leading you from hub to hub.
    Mounts are buyable at level 1 if you have the cash - much better

People may criticize this game lack of originality, but the fact is that it is better than all of the competition in almost all respects.

A great launch!
  79. May 10, 2011
    A new mmorpg wanting to compete with the heavy weight that World of Warcraft is (literally as seen in the advertisement campaigns) that does a lot of things right, but nothing really new. Trion worlds gathered most of the solid and safe mechanics other mmorpgs and of course WoW has to offer, added a new and quite interesting lore to it, let it bake for about the right amount of time and voilà there is Rift.

The game is polished, borrows traditional and established mechanics from the genre and does it quite well. It looks shiny too and offers a unique and at first sight very deep soul system with a lot of variation. This variation starts to vanish in the endgame content when you are easily outperformed by players of the same skill but simply different soul and talent combinations which become sort of mandatory to compete giving all those players who thought they can use their unique combinations at any point of the game a straight middle finger.

The leveling content is really fun, the rifts offer short periods of fun and action and give you an overall fun experience until the level cap of 50. From this point the game changes to the grind dungeons grind raids end game content that so many other mmorpgs have as well. For my taste this is a quite cheap approach and while I see that many players like it and that it can give you hours of content if you wish to do it, the presentation and motivation in Rift to grind that content is beneath average.

I simply did not feel motivated to grind my plaques and gear and even though I had an active guild and really decent gear, for the early state of the game, I did not find it fun anymore. The PvP is, just like WoW, mostly playing Warfronts and getting your Favour (Honor) to buy more items. There is a deeper specialisation for your spec if you want to focus more on PvP, but there again some specs just overtrump most others which takes away a lot of the variation.

Overall I give this game 8/10 for the leveling content which you should be able to finish within the first "free" month. 5/10 for the content past level 50 for which you have to pay a subscription ( you sure can start raiding within the first month but there is really no point if you don't want to play this game for a longer time and want to subscribe) what results in a 6.5 /10. Having some faith in Trion worlds to make the end game more fun I give Rift 7/10.
  80. May 16, 2011
    The good:
    Some of the dungeon mechanics are refreshing. The environment and UI both are pleasing to the eye. The music in some of the zones is excellent. The in game community is both helpful and friendly.

The Bad:
    The class system is still under development. It should have been handled in alpha. Itemization needs some work. Crafting system still needs some work as the numbers on the
    green gear are bellow quest rewards and random green item drops. Mats for some of the crafting tiers are sparse and are in zones higher than what your questing in. End game is the standard grind dungeons and BG's for faction to get gear for next tier of faction grind. Gold spammers are a little more prevalent than I would like. Overall leveling was fun until about level 40. That is where it went stale for me as I did not see too many new quest types or mechanics. New MMO players will like it . Vets that expect something more might not. If you have a interest I recommend the 7 day free trial before you drink the cool aid Expand
  81. May 21, 2011
    I have actually started to play Rift beyond low levels and while I miss the stamina/sprint system of AoC, and especially the directionall combos and realistic movement. I have to admit being blown away be the graphic in Rift. The scenery is stunning and while the characters have pets and there are trolls etc. the actual look of the characters themselves is realistic in my view. I get a good frame rate to with loads of players around, the coding is very good. I started playing on EU but switched to US servers because there are a tonne more players there until servers merge. Expected more players then they got however there are a few points about the game that I do not like. It favours range classes. I hate that in games, that some coward can be a mile away and kill me while I am engaging someone in melee and do "more" dps than me. I hate it but I have tried it and it is fun and easy do I see why the majority do go that way. Its the same in all MMO's. You always have tonnes of Rangers, Mages etc. The melee rogue I am playing is fun though and I do manage to get kills in mini games so far at low levels but I can see problems with having tonnes of people playing mage and marksman classes because its easy and OP ... Rifts can be small OR totally take out a complete zone. I have covered most things. I am rewriting this review and this is my new opinion of RIFT after playing longer. Expand
  82. May 22, 2011
    Polished and with a broken public quest features inspired from WAR, Rift doesn't bring enough worth playing for veterans, but for new people in the mmorpg genre, can be a fun experience.
  83. Aug 10, 2011
    Rift is a game that will surprise you. Some consider it a WoW clone, but it does enough things different to separate itself from other MMO's around it. The developers put out content faster than anything Ive seen in any MMO over the last 15 years. Its hard to really compare Rift and WoW, but the only thing WoW really has going for itself over Rift is multiple expansions. Is the game perfect? No, not at all, but the developers do a lot to add more to the game so I am content knowing that this gem will only improve with time. Expand
  84. Dec 22, 2011
    Rift is an excellent game for those who arent into a kid game like WoW. Where WoW dumbs down class systems Rift went the opposite way of creating a very innovative way of allowing you to do what you want. In terms of PVE and PVP content you will find it is very generic but it does it well. The game is truley beautiful in terms of graphics but I believe this Realism graphics does not age well (oblivion, everquest 2) The most excellent MMO dev team in the world have developed this game, with massive content (PVE content only though) in every patch makes this game a PVE'ers heaven.

The only downside to Rift is the PVP, they do not cater to their PVP community by adding real open world PVP, PVP rifts do not count as they are in no terms a good way to supplement Warfronts in terms of pvp progression. They need a PVP world Zone with excellent rewards to pull in players. Great game overall, maxed out 3 characters and enjoyed every minute.
  85. May 17, 2012
    Rift is a fantastic MMO. Great graphics, beautiful and detailed landscapes. Trion is an amazing development company that truly gives players there sub's worth. However I felt there were some downs to the game(your opinion may vary). Personally I felt the story was bland and boring, and didn't do a good job of pulling me into the story. Another dislike was how the classes lacked any unique mechanics, and many skill trees seemed to be very close to wow skill trees. Also no real open pvp(rvr style) was a downer. That being said, the game play and rifts were fun. Expand
  86. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is a WoW clone, a good one but the graphs are more serious-realistic look like. At first sight it looks kinda bad, but if you give it a chance and explore and level your character further on, you will find it pretty entertaining.
  87. Jan 28, 2014
    This is a great MMO. If you are not questing, you are fighting to close Rifts with easily joinable public raid groups. If you’re not closing Rifts, you are fighting pitch-battles against Rift armies trying to get a foothold in the world. If you are not fighting Rift armies you are fighting against Rift force fortresses that have been constructed by unchecked armies that emerged from unchecked Rifts. The world actually changes and progresses in response to play action or inaction. Love it! The crafting system is amazing, the professions keep you busy and the graphics are fantastic. Seriously, no other MMO has every kept me so engaged for so long. I just took out Patron Status (I am now a subscriber) and a game needs to be very good for me to do that. Also, it’s quite cheap and flexible. A month costs less than $12AU. Really worth checking out. Head and shoulders above other MMOs and I have played many. Oh, and it’s finished. Yep, it’s a working game in which I have been forced to endure 0 (zero) bugs. I am still trying to finish the first FlashPoint in Star Wars Old Republic due to an end mission crash more than a year after trying the game and here is a fully tested and functional MMO. This game is what professionalism is all about. The Help Desk got back to me regarding an account question (my fault) in less than two hours, the community is amazingly helpful and the game is just plain fun. Get this game. Get it now. :) Expand
  88. Jan 3, 2014
    Rift is a game that looks good on the trailer/screenshots but when you get in the game you just think ‘Why did I waste all this installation time for a game that is almost nothing like the trailer’. What I mean is the trailer is supposed to be an example of the game and the Rift trailer is nothing like the game its self. I recommend you to stay away from that title.
  89. Jul 7, 2011
    Terrible game. Had one of the longest and largest beta's yet still managed to have massive nerfs from the very first month of release. No end game other than running the same 5 dungeon instances that you've run through the whole levelling process - just on a harder mode.
    Everyone's gear looks identical - and poorly at that. The art design for gear is deplorable.
    PVP is just assist trains
    running around.
    The game is just 6 months old and the server populations continue to die off rapidly - http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/na/stats

Save your money.
  90. May 6, 2011
    Well, now that the game is a couple of months into being online, and the whole euphoria of "NEW TOY SYNDROME" has worn off for me, I think it's a good time to sit down and write a review. This review will be organized based off of multiple sections and each will be given their own score, with an average score being the final.
    Graphics- 8: Many people immediate jump in and give this game a
    10 for one reason...you need a top end graphics card or SLI rig to be able to run it at maximum all. While this does lead to a very VERY pretty game, it still is not nearly as beautiful as some in the genre, most notably Final Fantasy 14.There is no real Anti-Aliasing option between "Edge Smoothing" and "Supersampling" (which can lead to a really big difference in visual quality...at the expense of 2/3 of your FPS) and the graphics don't rate max level in my book. The surrounding areas, while MUCH more pretty and realistic than WoW, still have some flaws that are glaringly obvious, especially in viewing objects at distance, some of the animal animations, and the like. I think the biggest glaring graphic issue for me is a graphics snafu on the wall of the tunnel leading to the CC instance where the lack of coordination in graphics for the wall shows a completely visible LINE in the graphics halfway up the wall.-Tacky...
    Gameplay/UI -6: The gameplay and UI for this game is pretty much your cut and dry MMORPG circa...well pretty much anything nowadays. Simple AWSD with numbered boxes, cooldowns, and the like. The gameplay itself can be kinda wonky with areas STILL not loading correctly and random disconnects still plaguing a majority of the population.
    Customization of Character/Class-10: The amount of customization of your character on the creation screen is on par with games like AoC and well beyond WoW and some of the other, older MMOs. The customization of your class is where this game is AWESOME in that you have, not only 2 but FOUR different spec sets you can keep at once and interchange as you need to. These specs are chosen among the 8 different souls your class can use, leading to just about any number of possible specs to fit just about any play desires...Sadly there is very limited healing among warriors, which makes soloing a bit of a chore, but otherwise it is worlds apart from pretty much every other MMO as far as customization of your class is concerned.
    Immersion-6: Back at launch of the game I would have given this a 10, but that was before I made it through to the end-zones and saw how LIMITED the world is in Rift. Firstly there are only 2 capitol cities. Each of which is about half the size of a Capitol City in WoW. TWO. That's it. Aside from that you have a few mid-range size towns (think slightly smaller Southshore or Tarren Mill) scattered about, lots of little outposts with 4-6 quest NPCs, and LOTS of mobs that want to kill you. You can't take two steps in this game without getting agro from SOMETHING. The Rifts add a sense of urgency and need to the zone, but if you fail Rift invasions there really isn't a huge downside aside from having to kill invasion points and such to get quest givers back. A super boss that will 1-shot anyone would be a good consequence in my book. Sadly, the game lacks in pretty much anything that makes you want to care about your faction or the people of Telara. Once outside of the starter zones you find that all of the citizens of Telara are either giving you quests, are guards, or one of maybe 50 npcs that are meant to add "feel" to the game. Sadly this does NOT provide any immersion value at all unless you find constantly fighting for your life to be an immersive experience.
    RP-Friendly- 3: This is where the game really suffers. The lack of areas for players to congregate for RP purposes (There are only 3-4 inn type places for tavern RP), the lack of comprehensive lore (they're still making it up as they go), and the complete lack of immersive areas where people can actually try to base a RP event around leads the RP to mainly be Tavern-based or PvP based. At least on my server. Developers- 6: I give the devs a 6 primarily due to their obvious willingness to be open and willing to admit mistakes. (Check the RoS apology) However, they are also very absorbed in trying to make everyone happy, and thus have made some MASSIVE (no exaggeration) changes to classes/souls all in the name of "Balance" that have effectively either ruined the soul for their role (Riftblade) or made it damn near unkillable (Pyro). This leads me to some sad conclusions for the future.
    Sadly, the direction of the game has taken even more of a turn toward being a WoW copy. The implementation of a LFD system, the blatant favoritism of certain souls, and the lack of direction of the game other than creating events based off of the Rifts (More combat, less immersion) has the game leaning away from the slogan "We're not in Azeroth anymore" and more toward "A prettier, smaller Azeroth".
  91. Mar 1, 2011
    A great game with smoothest launch of any mmo ive ever played, There is a ton of content to do in the game and being able to participate in zone wide rift invasions is amazing simply one of the best mmo's since wow
  92. WMD
    Mar 5, 2011
    Experience: Have been playing since the fifth beta. Currently have a level 46 cleric. Played WoW (and virtually ever other MMO) prior to Rift. Soul System: The soul system allows for flexibility when designing your character. Each class (Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Mage) has eight souls for PVE, and one soul specifically for PVP. You can utilize any three souls at any given time. Mages can heal and rogues can tank.

Graphics: The Gamebryo engine does a good job of bringing high-fidelty graphics to computer systems while only requiring a DX9 capable graphics card. Textures are extremely detailed and do a good job of pulling you into the world. Spell effects are detailed and abundant but not overbearing so much that they overwhelm and detract from the beauty of the game world.

Rifts: The games namesake are randomly spawning events in which a tear between the game world and an elemental plane will open drawing through it multiple enemies. If left unchecked the rifts will continue spawning NPC's which will attempt to overthrow both defiant and guardian safe havens and quest hubs. The rifts create two things. First, they create a feeling of a living changing world, you might log out one day in a tranquil forest, and log in the next in the middle of a fire rift, the earth scorched and black, to promptly get your ass handed to you by multiple mobs. Pro tip: Log out in a town. Second, they require cooperation I have seen quest hubs overthrown and groups of complete strangers band together to overthrow the elemental usurpers. This required cooperation creates a sense of community.

Rift Invasion: At any given time there may be four or five rifts open in a zone (the number varies depending on the number of player characters in the zone). Rift Invasions tend to happen when the zone is very crowded. All of a sudden fifteen+ rifts will open up and hundreds of NPC's will spawn and attempt to take over the entire zone, destroying defiance and guardians alike, as well as their respective quest hubs and towns. The entire zone will be given a quest to repel the elemental invasion, and upon doing so will spawn a zone boss. The boss will require a raid of people (sometimes forty+ people) to defeat. Epic. UI: The entire UI is completely customizable out of the box. There is no need for any third party add-ons to reorganize your UI. As a note, for better or worse, Trion has taken a stance AGAINST the creation of third party add-ons. I have yet to find a need, or want, for a third party add-on. Certain built in features, for example, the ability to search your inventory for an item by typing in its name (your bags open up and every item other than one you were searching for are grayed out) show that Trion took great pains to make the UI as user friendly as possible. One other neat UI feature, if you are alt+tabbed out of the game and are attacked your Rift tray Icon will blink red, if you are sent a tell it will blink yellow.

Combat: Very little new to see here, if you have played World of Warcraft, or virtually any current day MMO you will feel at home in Rift. You have an action bar(s) upon which you place abilities that are activated by clicking them. You find an enemy, target it, and wail on it, and your abilities until the mob is dead (or you are... maybe you should have healed yourself first).

Questing: Trion has not re-written the book on questing with the release of Rift. Quest for the most part are kill X, collect X, return to me and I will give you a bread crumb quest to your next quest hub. It is tried and true, and it works. I have yet to get bored with the questing, but I haven't been overly excited by it either. They have preserved the status quo here.

Launch: The games launch has gone extremely smoothly. Trion has added thirty+ servers in order to reduce queue times . Trion has been patching the game three to four times a week, downtime ranging from thirty minutes to an hour, with server maintenance once a week lasting four to six hours. Server performance has been stable even during rift invasions involving fifty+ PC's and even more NPC's. For those wondering, the US based servers are located in Dallas, Texas.

Bugs: There have been very few game breaking bugs since release, the only one of which I can think of required Trion to disable a tradeskill (runecrafting) due to a crafty player figuring out a way to exploit the profession. Overall the game feels polished far beyond its age.

The game in it's current form is worth a purchase for anyone interested in MMO's.
  93. Mar 14, 2011
    I am (like, I suspect, many other Rift players) a long-time World of Warcraft player who saw Rift as a promising alternative. WoW kept my attention for over five years, but it has become rather stale, and it hasn't done much to address its core deficiencies over the years. Rift made the wise decision to not diverge radically from the familiar MMO format, but rather offer new twists and variations that really enhance the experience. This very well executed balance makes Rift a familiar but refreshing experience. Environments are pretty decent and atmospheric, the audio and visual quality is good, and the class variation and customization is the most welcome aspect of this game. Just about the only thing that annoys me about this game is how much it penalizes you for trying to avoid fights - if you get hit from behind while running, a harsh debuff stacks up increasing the damage you take. Combine that with the fact that you get knocked off your mount pretty easily, and the fact that level gaps make no difference to an enemy's aggro radius, and you have an environment in which simply getting around can be somewhat tiresome. It's an annoyance, but the game overall is a nice, refreshing newcomer to an MMO world that is abundant in quantity but lacking in quality. Expand
  94. Mar 19, 2011
    There's really nothing bad about this game, on the flip-side, there's not a lot of great stuff either. After about 100 hours of playing I lost all interest in continuing. I had quite a lot of fun doing rift events. PvP was okay-ish, and the questing was.. well.. Questing will always be dull in mmorpg's it would seem. The game has a nice interface, quest log and map markers and stuff, all very nice. It shows that the developers have been playing WoW for a while and stole many of the addon designs for that game. The real problem is that the gameplay is just a ton of stuff you've already played a million times. And the casting/combat in the game has a sluggish feel to it that's just uncalled for in this day and age. It's slower and more janky than WoW, and 5 years past the release of WoW, there's just no excuse. Combat doesn't feel immediate at all, it feels like you're just queuing up stuff for your character to do at its leisure. Suggesting spellcasts and attacks, much like the olden days of mmo's. With games like Tera and Guild Wars 2 on the horizon, going for that old tick based sluggish combat system seems like an odd choice. I assume the reason they went for such a system over a more direct control instant cast type system is that the netcode of the game feels somewhat unrefined. All in all, though, it's probably the best mmo so far in 2011, and if you were let down by the crappiness of Cataclysm, it's well worth a try. If for nothing else than the Rift events, which are pretty sweet, and shows just how awesome Guild Wars 2 is going to be with its way more complex public quest type gameplay. Expand
  95. Mar 20, 2011
    Rift is a great game. headstart was great. there arent a lot problems. If problems occur, trion solves them fast and very competent. graphics are awesome. the community is friendly and willingly to help others in game and in the forums. servers are full and there are enough other players to play with.. rift is worth every penny, ill definiatly continue playing it after free month .. its worth a look.. so if ur not sure, just try it.. i think u will love it :) Expand
  96. Mar 22, 2011
    Thus far this has been a really solid and enjoyable MMO release. Immediately I loved the depth of the character customization and the beauty of the animations. The soul system is very deep and very rewarding. Rifts are a blast, and instances are suitably challenging yet puggable. Crafting is fun and feels much more rewarding than on WoW and games of its ilk, though it's not terribly different or unique. My only real complaints come from the environment, which can feel a tad dull at times. However, the design of dungeons is very, very beautiful from what I've seen thus far, which truthfully makes up for it. WoW is nearing it's popular death with the release of the lackluster Cataclysm expansion, and RIFT is here to take the reins for my MMO enjoyment. Expand
  97. Apr 3, 2011
    This game was fun from 1-50. Unfortunately 50 can be achieved within 5 days by an average person, even faster by a power gamer.

After hitting max level, it seemed like to play the game was forcing regurgitated content down my throat. Kill more rifts for more planarite. Do more of those same dungeons you have been doing with maybe 1 more boss and a new corner of the map. Keep doing these
    for, you guessed it, more currency to spend on items.

All told, the game feels like its solely based on grinding the same things over and over again for currency to spend for minor stat increases. This would not be so bad if the game was not able to be played in such a way that gets you to this boring point within a week.

In the end it just feels like nothing was done that was meaningless. The collection factor (the emotion you get after all that hard work on your character) just isnt there.

Plagued with the standard bugs most games has, coupled with awesome content (that unfortunately fizzles out after a month) means we have an awesome game here thats worth only playing until the subscription price kicks in.

If you want all your time and effort to mean something, Rift is not where you will want to turn.
  98. Apr 25, 2011
    WARNING: Same person who destroyed Warhammer Online - Adam Gershowitz - is in control of game balance here. Great game - up till "balance" patch 1.1, which destroyed a bunch of playstyles in a game which claims to promote versatility in how you can build your characters (this is now gone), and indicates future issues with how game "balance" will be handled. After this patch and the massive outcry from players, it has been revealed that the person responsible for game balance is the same person who destroyed Warhammer Online - Adam Gershowitz. Warning for all gamers intending on playing this game - with Adam in control of game balance. you can expect things to go very, very wrong very soon. Expand
  99. Apr 25, 2011
    I played the beta and this should have been a clear indicator of what was in store, but there was a group of gaming friends still interested in playing so I tagged along on release. Here it is a month later and I'm bored to tears of the end game content, fed up with repetitive key mashing for DPS and lackluster PVP. It was a great idea of Trion to learn from their peers in the gaming world, to simply create a frankenstein game that just mashed together parts of others is a bit weak though. The leveling was a series of 'quickly get to the yellow ring and kill everything, never mind WHY I'm doing it' that was simplistic and short lived (thankfully). You are rewarded at endgame with tedious dungeons littered with trash mobs, weak loot and the never ending quest for items with purple frames. Trion did add new class structure and features, but these are not enough to overlook the boring old shell of a game this is. It's environments are generic and cliche, its encounters are the same old formula and the story is lacking on so many levels (as well as utterly unimportant), They had the chance to make something amazing, and instead spit out a WoW clone. Expand
  100. May 5, 2011
    I'll be honest here - I was hoping for something a little more unique. Instead I just got World of WarhammerQuest. I can't complain about the game's stability and beauty, nor Trion's dedication to quality and customer service. However, you can count me out of this loop. I've run my last quest and /ignored my last griefer, because playing WoW again was not what I wanted.
  101. WMD
    Mar 5, 2011

1. Nov 29, 2011
    There have been obvious comparisons made to WoW, with some even going as far as calling it a clone. But what makes Rift so special is that it goes out of its way to avoid falling into the same traps as the many that have fallen before it. It avoids the painful, mindnumbing grind, makes incremental patches everyday and listens intently to its rapidly growing community.
    It's true that the soul trees offer outstanding flexibility for character development and the rifts bring a welcome sense of insecurity into Telara's everyday life, but for some players this simply might not be enough.
  3. Jun 28, 2011
    Rift offers a really polished MMO experience but looks and feels much like a mix of many good MMOs like World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online and Warhammer Online.