7.2

1. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was ahead of its time. Critics seemed to have taken the high production values for granted. This is an epic tale worth exploring for the story alone. The artwork is amazing. Very few bugs. Great voice acting. If anyone was to make a game to explore Greek mythology today the game would probably not make money.
  2. Apr 21, 2014
    Great voice acting. Meaningful conversations which produce semi-accurate to accurate glimpses of Greek mythology. Graphics are high quality for the time and better than a lot of games produced now. The game is quite linear when moving but that is common to this style of game. The combat, with a few exceptions, is pretty easy. I consider this a plus because it allows a larger audience toGreat voice acting. Meaningful conversations which produce semi-accurate to accurate glimpses of Greek mythology. Graphics are high quality for the time and better than a lot of games produced now. The game is quite linear when moving but that is common to this style of game. The combat, with a few exceptions, is pretty easy. I consider this a plus because it allows a larger audience to enjoy the game. For those who might complain about the lack of challenge it can be made more challenging simply by fighting as if Jason is really you and doing your best to avoid any injury. This will require the player to use strategy and all the moves available.
    The stories in the game are interesting and well-written. This would be a good game even without combat. Give this game a try.
  3. Oct 31, 2014
    Really interesting game, if only for the progression mechanics. You dedicate feats to the a god and gain skill in that god's skill tree. Very well planned and implemented.

The story is interesting if a little predictable. The voice acting is very good and the set pieces and locations are beautifully drawn and animated. I really got the sense I was in a much larger world. The game is

The game is very linear though you can choose in what order to do things, however this serves to keep the game moving towards its eventual destination.

Boss fights are difficult and varied, though occasionally difficult to figure out. I found myself heading to Google a couple of times.

Attention to detail is good and the game is mostly bug free. Some infrequent CTD's annoyed me towards the start of the game but they went away later.

Overall I would reccomend this game to anyone who enjoys RPG's, Greek Mythology and tight, linear story telling.
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    There's nothing particularly wrong with this game, other than some graphical hiccups, but there is nothing in this game that hasn't already been done better in other games, even back in 2008. Play God of War to see this concept done better.
  5. Nov 5, 2014
    from my steam acc:
    Rise of the Argonauts Review
    General Score : 9/10 Worth playing ? : Yes Replay value : Yes, but not for me. Be warned that I played the whole game using a gamepad, and I do not consider any other way to play such games if not with an xbox controller or game pad. On the combat part of the game, because of this, your mileage may vary in contrast to mine. Perfect
    from my steam acc:
    Rise of the Argonauts Review
    General Score : 9/10
    Worth playing ? : Yes
    Replay value : Yes, but not for me.

Perfect example of one good game, that is a victim of it's own ambitions, but at least for me, this time, it is a positive thing.

Sometimes you can use Metacritic as a external support for your own conclusions:
    Critic score:59
    User score:7.2

You know why ??, because many of the players that reviewed the game on Metacritic and myself ,had the balls to hold up and finish the game, not like those "critics" that gave the game a 59.

Let aside the "twists" developers did on Greek mythology to build up the game, it excels on the story itself, voice acting and companions.

The message of humility, courage, wisdom, discipline and justice (Athena's virtues) spread all along the game's story, combined with other's Greek gods good and bad virtues, is just a great teaching for everyone.

Hell,close to the ending of the game, developers even let you go over Greek mythology on the creation of the world and all living things.

Through all the game, I was amazed how the selfish and particular desire of Jason (to revive his dead wife) was coped , mixed and contrasted with all this mythology, where serving the others and acting for the greater good above our own desires is the goal.

The first 8 hours of the game, I must admit that there is too much of dialog and too little on action.

The dialog system is smart, every dialog option you take is tied to a different god, so it's an alignment system. The way you think, the way you respond to dialogs, aligns you more with one of other Greek god(s).

All the deeds you achieve, via combat, quests, achievements or dialogs can be praised to a different god,thus, giving you access to different buffs and abilities trees.

First 8 hours of the game, this buffs and abilities might no seem much of a change, but later on, it is.

I specialized on Athena's (my favorite deity, of all there are) and the lighting - powers I got where an amazing spectacle on combat.

Combat pretty much is an arena combat, you get on a closed area, and fight your way out.

There are puzzles to be solved both in combat situations, and in normal quest situations.

3 different combat styles, really cool all of them. Sword, Mace and Spear.

Amazing usage of the shield ,and the shield charge against enemies to open up defenses.

The combat in general is really good, but at the second half of the game , it just rocks the boat.

Gods powers on combat are just the ice on the cake.

Companions are pretty useless on combat (unless you buff them al lot via skill trees), but all of them have great personality, characterizations and dialogs. You choose 2 of them to go with you , on different places.

So first half of the game, gets you into the plot with a lot of dialog, backtracking,some lackluster quests an little combat...... This is where I think most of the people quit playing the game.

Second part of the game, just gets better and better until there is no effort in continuing playing the game. I must admit, that I managed to pass the first 6 hours because I like a lot Greek and Roman mythology, and I was thrilled with the game's plot, twists on the Jason story overall and with the general message on the game. The scenarios are great and graphics are OK, besides some half ♥♥♥ job on some NPCs. The fact there is no direct access to the map (you have to navigate menus to it) just makes me want to punch someone on the face.

1. A solid and yet pointless action-rpg that is missing almost everything what made God of War a blast: spectacular bossfights, a thrilling plot, charismatic characters, impressive architecture and design, a fluid combat system and an epic orchestral soundtrack - you won't find any of that in Rise of the Argonauts.
    The problem is how the game's put together – so much has been stripped from what we traditionally think of as an RPG and an action game that the result feels like an awkward, neutered hybrid bloated by hours and hours of static dialogue sequences.
  3. Innovation in Rise of Argonauts goes in the wrong direction. Although the story is not bad and the epic and mythic world remains interesting, it's gameplay mechanics and technical flaws make the game boring and uninteresting.