Rise of the Triad PC

6.7

1. May 12, 2014
    Together with bringing nostalgia to those who grew up with it, this game reminds us many of the flaws of the old RotT and other old FPS.
    For example, its a first person shooter with platforming, and not the great Mirror's Edge kind of platforming, this is the **** kind of platforming.
    Another annoyance is that sometimes enemies blend in with the background and its not easy to notice them before they shoot you and maybe kill you, which isn't a good thing for this kind of game.
    Also there is no quick saving and there are some performance issues.

Its a great game, and its hard, fans of the original will enjoy this one, everyone else will have frustrating moments but you might still enjoy it, especially if you're tired of the casual games or especially the casual shooters that pretend to be hardcore and fail at being either. At least it never gets boring.
  2. Aug 1, 2013
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD: Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD:
    Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons of graphics options.

THE BAD:
    No manual saving. Poor A.I. that doesn't always react to your presence. Small enemies that blend in too well with the environments. Widespread performance issues (frame rate drops and stuttering). Mouse smoothing that can't be disabled through the menus (plus when it's disabled via config edits, the movement still doesn't feel quite right).

OVERALL:
    A fun game that stays true to the original in many ways but also lacks polish. It's fast, furious, and challenging, but makes one wonder just how great it could have been had the developers spent more time optimizing the performance and kept a classic "save anywhere, anytime" system. Thankfully, for $15 it isn't much of a gamble and if you're a fan of shooters from the "good old days," go for it. Just expect your moments of glee to occasionally be interrupted by those of disappointment or thoughts of "what could have been."
  3. Aug 3, 2013
    Eh.... I didn't play it expecting very much, but it really was a diasppointment. I get that it's supposed to be a remake of an old 1994 shooter, but it still is lacking. While I didn't mind the graphics or crazy effects, the game was riddled with glitches and quite boring AI. You'd be better off playing something like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon if you want a comical,fast shooter.
  4. Oct 7, 2013
    Okay, originally the performance was bad but they did a patch soon after release to adjust this. It's a modern rehash of an oldschool FPS. The level design is okay and the graphics are fairly good. They made some good changes to weapons but I got a little irritated with the checkpoint system.
  5. Aug 2, 2013
    Why 5/10? Because of optimization. I've got Asus Radeon HD 7770 Graphics card and amd phenom II x4 945 processor 8 gb ram and this game is frapsing on LOW.... i can turn off EVERYTHING and set EVERYTHING to low and it gices a sh**.... I like this game for humor style fast moving but graphics it destroys EVERYTHING. I played on my brothers card geforce 550 titanium.... and it was a lotWhy 5/10? Because of optimization. I've got Asus Radeon HD 7770 Graphics card and amd phenom II x4 945 processor 8 gb ram and this game is frapsing on LOW.... i can turn off EVERYTHING and set EVERYTHING to low and it gices a sh**.... I like this game for humor style fast moving but graphics it destroys EVERYTHING. I played on my brothers card geforce 550 titanium.... and it was a lot better than mine card. So 2 capabilities NVIDIA gave them money for worse optimalization for radeon cards or the messed up something. Expand
  6. Aug 2, 2013
    Was very exited for this reboot as the original Rott pretty much dominated my childhood together with Duke Nukem.
    I was not disappointed albeit with a couple of ifs.
    The game itself is very very fun, very true to the original and I have had a blast from the word go. Diverse arsenal, bloody gory mess, its got it all and it does what is says on the tin quite well. (being an remake) The
    I was not disappointed albeit with a couple of ifs.

The only points where i found it lacking that it does look a lad outdated, and i attribute that to the lowish quality of the texturing. The voice acting is just, well, bad even though the game is a parody of itself. And the game is stupidly fast. I know the original was as well but not this fast.
  7. Aug 4, 2013
    Checkpoints, bugs and bad performance are hurting this game. Part of making a 90's game is giving players freedom. That includes the freedom of saving whenever you want...
  8. Aug 2, 2013
    Where do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump inWhere do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump in about 5 times now from different angles and nothing works, I just keep sliding into the lava. To make it even more annoying, you have to do the whole level again up to that point if you're that one pixel off. Still haven't gotten past it and I feel like it's such a waste of my time trying to do this one jump that should be so simple. In most cases during the game so far, about half the time I don't feel like it's my fault for dieing. The vast majority of the weapons are rocket launchers of some sort and all the objects, pillars and railings have hit barriers larger than you would think, so getting damaged by your own weapons happens all the friggin time. Much of the time the damage that traps do to you is extremely inconsistent. One time I got blasted by fire dead on and it only did like 20 damage. Another time I barely touched the edge of the fire and I practically exploded at full health. That's just scratching the surface but when the game decides to stop being unfair, it can be fun. The shooting for the most part is satisfying and the humor at some parts has made me laugh out loud. Expand
  9. Oct 30, 2013
    I don't get this game. The graphics are terrible and it gives me a headache. Performance is terrible it can go from 90fps to 30fps from one room to the next. I got this game on sale thinking it would be mindless fun but its just poorly developed trash. GJ DEVS
  10. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fun at times, simply because it's old-school feeling and royalty to it's own roots. Yet, the game is poorly optimized, and there are some design faults which take away a huge chunk of your pleasure. Shame, this could have been a classic.

Still, I say it's a solid FPS with 6.5/10 score. Much better than many other FPS games out there.
  11. Jan 6, 2015
    This game has all the elements of the original game but then reworked in a new coat. It is pretty much only shooting without much of a story to be unfold here. It has the famous gory details known from original (e.g. eyeballs coming off exploding enemies). The guns have endless ammo. The game has some drawbacks though: bugs; platform maps; instant death through objects and fore allThis game has all the elements of the original game but then reworked in a new coat. It is pretty much only shooting without much of a story to be unfold here. It has the famous gory details known from original (e.g. eyeballs coming off exploding enemies). The guns have endless ammo. The game has some drawbacks though: bugs; platform maps; instant death through objects and fore all unbalanced bosses. While the normal game play is moderate difficult, the bosses are not. They are extremely difficult to conquer. On launch there were some performance issues but those seems fixed these days. All in all not a triple A game but under 10 euro you can safely pick it up. Expand
  12. Jan 16, 2015
    ROTT. What a childhood defining game this was. Cannot recall how many hours I put into this on the family PC running DOS. I can still hear the sound-bites and see the pixelated and absurd enemies of the original. It was perhaps the best game in our 150+ library for years.

Which is why it pains me to say that this doesn't quite match up to the original. Unfortunately, it is a game that is designed for two decades ago, with graphics from one decade ago. The quick-paced, rocket-jumping, ludicrous gibs-inducing play-style of this just seems like it doesn't fit in today's AAA game library. Enemies often bugged out, you'd glitch into a wall, or take phantom damage and stroll around on 0%. Almost seems rushed.

However, what does save it for me, are the throwbacks to the original, which I'd imagine is what this game is aiming for above all else. The remixed soundtrack, the ridiculous weapons, the coin collecting, and the throwbacks to classic enemies. And for those die-hard completest, there are heaps of achievements to keep you occupied.

After beating this game, I learned it does have a spot in Steam, if you've played the original. It'll standard and quick level designs makes it the "McDonalds" of the Steam Library. Cheap, unremarkable, but you get a quick high.
  13. Aug 1, 2013
    Fantastic single player action, excellent visuals, heaps of secrets and bonuses to keep you coming back not to mention different character strengths and weaknesses, allowing great replay value and very fast paced multiplayer action reminiscent of quake 3 team arena and with the UDK on the way you can be assured there will be many mods to come. All in all a very old skool 90s gamingFantastic single player action, excellent visuals, heaps of secrets and bonuses to keep you coming back not to mention different character strengths and weaknesses, allowing great replay value and very fast paced multiplayer action reminiscent of quake 3 team arena and with the UDK on the way you can be assured there will be many mods to come. All in all a very old skool 90s gaming experience and for the asking price you will be getting your moneys worth. Collapse

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.