6.8

1. Jul 31, 2013
    Launch day Video issues are a common thing now a days...My 6990 has a few problems getting 60...But turning off a few things and it works great. This Game is nuts! AND the first game i think since 2002 to have DIRECT IP CONNECTION FOR MP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME. WHen you log in (Gog and steam MP servers for all) It says welcome to the master race!
  2. Jul 31, 2013
    Okay, so, this game is a must get. For 15 bucks, it's more than worth its value. There's secrets on every level, an amazing comic book intro, fun boss fights, and a kick-ass arsenal of weaponry. This is truly a FPS we've been waiting for, and personally one of the better games of 2013. With such a low price, how the bloody hell could you refuse this ludicrous, bloody game? It runs very smoothly on machines, and it well optimized. It can run on lower hardware, but can still look stunning graphically.

The game-play is amazing. Classic FPS at its best. I felt like I was playing Quake or Doom once again.

But sadly this game DOES come with some bugs Rocket-jumping at certain areas will make you fall out of the map and die but I am sure it will e patched later on. Its usually not buggy or game breaking.

Overall, this game is great. Pick it up or be ashamed. Do NOT pirate this masterpiece of a game. The developers more than deserve the money Plus its only 15 bucks! Interceptor Entertainment has proven they are worthy of being in the game industry.

This game WILL bury you in a lunch box.
  3. Jul 31, 2013
    Makes me feel like a little kid again, when I played Wolf3D, Blake Stone, ROTT and DooM. :)
    Ofcourse this game isn't perfect, and it's likely the CoD generation doesn't like it.
    But for oldschool shooter lovers, I can highly recommend it. Especially seeing it's low pricepoint.
  4. Aug 1, 2013
    Oh my god. I never played the original but this game is awesome. In the time of CoD clones this game stands out. Everybody who like shooter should have played it once. Just 14$ better than a Black Ops 2 DLC
  5. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is awesome. On release it has a few bugs and is lacking a few features you'd expect in multiplayer but it's super fast paced, the single player campaign is fun and ridiculous and it's full of nostalgia. Awesome job Interceptor & Apogee.
  6. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of the most ridiculous games you will ever play, which is why this game is so darn good. If you want to play an FPS present day graphics and old school gameplay, Rise of the Triad is the game for you. There's not many games that bring this much joy to a gamer like me. This one, however, manages to make me smile as soon as I start playing. In addition, it's dirt cheap, so there's no need to even think about it just buy it! I hope this game one day goes to other platforms so that other folks can experience this masterpiece for the master race. Collapse
  7. Jul 31, 2013
    Truly an Ode to old school shooting. If you were looking for a more complicated game then your out of luck. With almost no bugs to speak of and a very cheap price, Rise of the Triad will bring you hours of fun and numerous challenges. While some may find the difficulty deterring, the truly hardcore gamer will love what makes this game hard. With a level creator and tons of future mods, this game will go far. Good job Interceptor, you've stayed to the roots and made a great debut. Expand
  8. Jul 31, 2013
    Going to visit my dad every year for the holidays ROTT was the game I would play on my dads old Win 95 PC Now here we are in 2013 and they have brought back that same feeling I had back then only in HD All I have to say is for 15$ this is a great game
  9. Aug 1, 2013
    This is an amazing game. And I have to specify the fact that this is a VIDEO GAME. Not some "interactive movie" that you spend 50 bucks on, not a "cinematic experience" with scripted events and quicktime events every 30 seconds, THIS IS A GAME!
    You actually feel like playing levels. There's a ton of secrets and short cuts, there's collectibles like coins, there's all sorts of crazy
    weapons. Not only that, but it's actually a fair challenge. And it actually has some replayability unlike today's "movie games".
    What's great about this game is that although this is a remake, it features updated shooter mechanics which make this game actually play differently. The Unreal Engine also makes this game look better than most triple A games now a days. And all of that for 15 bucks. Not to mention that there's also multiplayer.

There's still some bugs and glitches here and there but for the price you're paying, you're getting more than a complete package. If you want to actually have a fun time while playing a game, pick this one up immediately.
  10. Jul 31, 2013
    Interceptor Software was given the go ahead by Apogee to bring their 1990's cult FPS classic, Rise of the Triad, back onto the scene with a new Unreal Engine based re-imagining. Released today via Steam, RoTT is as ludicrous as ever, but it's not without several caveats and it remains an acquired taste...kind of like Monk Meal.

In pretty much every way that matters, this reboot/remake
    is a 90s shooter with all the expected pros and cons. It’s lightning fast, and 90% of your arsenal is pinpoint-precise. Realism is thrown out the window, so levels are less “brown corridors” and more “big rooms full of spinning blades of death rolling past collectible coins”, or “tiny platforms floating above giant lava rivers”, or “ascent up a pair of physically impossible towers”, or “pedestals containing heavy weapons that rise out of reach when you approach, as secret walls open and enemies attack.” Or all of the above, on the same map.

Before you buy your copy of Rise of the Triad and you should you need to first ask yourself how easily you can live without gradual healing. Or cover mechanics. Or auto-aim. Or a HUD. If these things are to your FPS enjoyment what water is to not dying from thirst, then Rise of the Triad is going to destroy you. As difficult as trying to explain the popularity of Stone Temple Pilots hard. Rise of the Triad requires a lot of patience to complete, and that’s by design. In fact, Interceptor CEO Fred Schreiber said during a multiplayer session that the gaming system he keeps coming back to (besides PC, he was quick to make clear) is the NES, precisely because NES games can be so difficult to complete.

From start to finish, Rise of the Triad is obstinately dedicated to being as difficult as possible. Enemies are pattern-based. In-game interactive elements are difficult to precisely interact with. You have to find health when you get damaged, and you take damage excessively. Checkpoints are absolutely brutal make it to one and you’ll still find yourself grinding through waves of enemies again and again, often making it nearly to the end of a segment, and having to do it all over again when you’re blown up by your own missile.

But it’s hard to dislike Rise of the Triad for this sort of thing, because– no, I take that back. It’s very, very easy to get massively frustrated with Rise of the Triad and quit out of it because of this sort of thing, but the frustrations are somewhat forgiven when you wander into basically anything else. This is a game that makes shooting feel good, and it has enough heavy weaponry and things to shoot with that heavy weaponry that you’re doing stuff that feels good pretty much 90% of the time.

The single player campaign is much like the original game’s (and many shooters from that era) in that it functions largely as a chance to practice for the multiplayer. The plot is simple: A UN special ops team called H.U.N.T. is sent to San Nicholas Island (part of California’s Channel Islands) to investigate a strange cult based there. The team is attacked, their landing craft destroyed, and they must now fight their way through the cult’s labyrinthine fortresses and stop them before they execute their plan to blow up Los Angeles

Multiplayer is a scream. At launch, it has Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag modes, and more are promised. Interceptor is providing dedicated servers, but the game also allows LAN, Direct IP and player-hosted games as well. That’s good, because you’ll need to practice with friends a lot before testing your mettle against strangers who will almost certainly destroy you.

If you have played the original ROTT, and were a fan, you will be astounded how “extremely faithful” this reboot really is. While Interceptor has certainly added new elements to the game and created something pretty unique, they do this with so much reverence and respect to the original, you sometimes have to remind yourself you aren’t actually playing the 1993 classic. Every little detail is replicated and recreated here: the hovering discs, the coins, the injured enemies begging for mercy it’s quite incredible how seamlessly Interceptor has merged the old and the new to create what can simply be described as a reboot masterpiece.
    It was a real pleasure to play (replay) Rise of the Triad, and Interceptor deserves every bit of credit they get for rebooting an all-time classic in the FPS genre.
  11. Aug 2, 2013
    WOW this takes me back, to when life was simple and all I had was a PC, me and my brother had intel 286's (WHAT!) and networked to play till he had to go to school and I had to go to work. This is how games should be, not too serious and fun to play, hope they do some of their other titles and what price too. WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT WOOOHOOO.
  12. Sep 15, 2013
    EDIT: Now that patch 1.1 is out, the game is perfectly playable (although I can't speak for everyone). Make sure to remove your previous .INI file in "...(backslash)Documents(backslash)my games(backslash)Rise Of The Triad" and restart your PC.

Unfortunately, the launch has been a bit rocky with various technical issues (for example, I can't change the graphical settings, music volume is
    very low and steam integration doesn't work, which means no achievements). So I won't lie and say my experience has been perfectly flawless.
    What is under all the temporary problems is a damn good game that fulfills its goals almost perfectly. This is as good as old-school fps remakes get, really.

You might think that Serious Sam is THE old-school experience to date, but it does not properly feature the level design, gameplay, Enemy AI and etc. that lovers of the old school FPS's are so familiar with. Rise of the Triad does. (I'm not saying Serious Sam sucks, It is indeed awesome)
    This game hasn't even begun to show its promises yet, with level editors and future updates on the horizon.
    The little multiplayer that I have played is really fun, but as of now, I can't say too much about it. It is pretty much what you'd expect. If you're looking for a great multiplayer twitch shooter, look no further.

So in conclusion, It's a great old-school shooter with a fresh coat of painting including satisfying gameplay both in multiplayer and singleplayer that is very worthy for its low price tag. Go get it! (Even if only to hear and see the Apogee logo again)
  13. Aug 4, 2013
    RISE OF THE TRIAD is old school run-and-gun gaming at its best! Thoroughly enjoyed playing this take on the Castle Wolfenstein genre even if it wasn't released under that brand. Highly enjoyable gameplay mixed with great music and updated visuals make this a treat for sure!
  14. Aug 1, 2013
    Fantastic single player action, excellent visuals, heaps of secrets and bonuses to keep you coming back not to mention different character strengths and weaknesses, allowing great replay value and very fast paced multiplayer action reminiscent of quake 3 team arena and with the UDK on the way you can be assured there will be many mods to come. All in all a very old skool 90s gaming experience and for the asking price you will be getting your moneys worth. Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2013
    Capolavoro di giocabilità, frenetico, violento, irriverente!

Bambinetti dalle mani paccioccose sporche di nutella, statene lontani, qui si fa sul serio.
  16. Aug 2, 2013
    Rise of the Triad is a good old-school shooter. When I played it, I felt as if I play in something very old and very cool. I like this levels, I like this stupid enemies, I like this BIG COINS & BIG GUNS.
    Of course, the game is eerily hardcore that only reinforces my interest in it, as opposed to the heap of modern shooters without gameplay.
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    This is probably the most enjoyable FPS game over the past few years for me.The game just straight says the hell to realistic and boring enviroment to places you in the castles which make no sense at all which is
    The true definition of gaming.
  18. Aug 3, 2013
    If you are an old first person shooter fan like myself, then this is the game for you. Finally a game that is fun to play. I give this game a 10 out 10.
  19. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is really good. Why? Because the remakes of old-school shooter games must be like that. It's fun, it have dog mode and hell yeah LUDICROUS GIBS. Just like the original. Perfomance issues? Bugs? This will be patched soon, because not all games perfectly polished.
  20. Aug 8, 2013
    If you need a heavy storyline full of pseudo-meaningful allegorical imagery, then go and play Bioshock. This game is everything it should be (very) fast, hardcore, and visually beautiful. ROTT is back!
  21. Sep 11, 2013
    A solid old school shooter. Jump pads, insane weapons, and secrets. The developer tediously works on maintaining the feel of the original, while giving it a modern look. Give this game a chance, you will scream, "WHAT YEAR IS IT?" when a rocket hits a triad and gibs fly in every direction. Plus, dog mode, yes you can play as a dog once you pick up the power up. All while a booming soundtrack of cheesy and modern metalness thumps in the background Expand
  22. Oct 15, 2013
    If you are a "CoD-mLg-SOBudGET=quality" kindeh' guy, don't get this. You'd hate it. You think graphics and story really matter in this.

If you are a Doom-loving Quake's great kindeh' guy, buy the hell out of this game. Rise of the Triad feels like a 90's FPS, a lot like Quake. I'm giving a 9, because Interceptor hasn't been too quick on fixing the games performance, so, you might want
    to wait on getting this, it's hell on AMD chipsets. Expand
  23. Aug 6, 2013
    A lot of people won't enjoy this game because of its lack of similarities to call of duty, like its fast-paced gameplay, its abundance of secrets, the craziness of its weapons and powerups, and so on.
    It can play well on outdated hardware, but to max it out you need to have a very high-end computer, so don't be upset your 760gtx can't get 60fps on ultra, be happy your 460gtx can get 30 on medium.
  24. Sep 11, 2013
    Fantastic game full of throwbacks to the original, as well as a solid gameplay experience, in single and multiplayer. Unfortunately not getting as much attention as it should in the current state of the market, full of tactical cover shooter "Skinner Box" games.
  25. Oct 15, 2013
    Simply put, a team of dudes with a dream were able to push out a better product than Duke Nukem Forever, that actually captures the sugar-high rush of ADHD and the 90's, while remaining fun to play and tasteful.

Simply put, it's a must buy for the price...
    If you don't like the game, at least support the developers who poured their souls into the game.
  26. Aug 11, 2013
    Most of the low reviews come from people being frustrated with performance issues. I haven't had any such issues, but I can confirm that this game is indeed excellent and I am so glad I picked it up.
  27. Aug 16, 2013
    This is a fantastic game, the further you get into it, the better it gets. This game is such a refreshing change from slow easy hand holding experiences such as CoD. The level design is reasonably complex, the game is not linear and encourages exploration. The movement speed is fast and strafe jumping adds a bit of extra pace to the game.

The weapons are really cool, essentially you
    have a whole series of rocket launchers with varying characteristics which are the most used weapons which is very original, there is a machine gun and single or dual pistols and then there are 2 supernatural weapons with quite unique effects. Rocket jumping is present though its not as refined as quake but it allows entry to higher areas.

The graphics are good, they are not exceptional but imo the game looks quite pretty. There are some optimization issues though I haven't found this to be a major issue plus a patch is due to deal with that.

The main thing I like about this game is that its challenging and fun, on the hardest difficulty the game is really hard at certain points. The boss battles also stand out as very clever and well designed, the 3rd boss being very impressive and complex.

I would highly recommend this game especially at the price point its at, it has provided me with many hours of entertainment.
  28. Aug 17, 2013
    Amazing nostalgia trip. The levels are challenging and really keep you glued to the game. The multiplayer is insanely fast paced and tons of fun. This remake is just as crazy as the original. If you are a fan of first person shooters you will not be disappointed with Rise of the Triad.
  29. Aug 18, 2013
    Absolutely awesome! Rise of The Triad (ROTT) is an updated Quake/Arena style shooter, bringing the original '94 ROTT game as well as old school Quake style shooters back into gamers' hands. The game retails for $14.99 which in this opinion is a bit under-priced. The folks at Apogee have created an extremely *fun* shooter that embodies a lot of what the modern shooters no longer have, namely: wackiness, imagination, ludicrous gibs and a lots and lots of speed. The current best selling shooters are all about trying to create a sense of realism, they try to put you on the battlefield, and while they are clearly still tops, ROTT is not trying to copy that model, and Apogee never said that they were. Instead they have created a fast paced and unrealistic (haha it is powered by Unreal 3 after all) shooter that is incredibly enjoyable to play. I am giving it 9/10 due to its one minor flaw, the inability to save when desired, as the current check-point system does not work well with game, and was not a part of the original.

If you are looking for an extremely fun, fast paced shooter, you can't go wrong with this game and should buy it. If you are looking for another battlefield simulator, you also should buy it so you can see what another shooter is like. Once you get used to it, you won't be disappointed.
  30. Sep 27, 2013
    A>M>A>Z>I>N>G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  31. Oct 15, 2013
    If you're looking for an extremely fun and simple old school shoot 'em up game with little to no flaws, you've found it. Rise of the Triad has good looking visuals and on top of that, a detailed gore system that a lot of combat games seem to be missing nowadays. It features some of the best music that I've ever heard in a video game and the sound design isn't that bad at all either. Game play is what's truly spot on in this game, though. It's simple and best kept that way for Rise of the Triad. It's supposed to be arcadey and fun instead of including dozen of complex and unnecessary functions that only piss you off when you're trying to get things done.

If you loved games such as Wolf 3D and Doom, maybe feel a little nostalgic, I'd suggest you pick this game up. It's only 13€ and features a lot of bang for your buck.
  32. Jan 25, 2014
    Old Gameplay and i love it !!! i need just most quotes of the hero when he kill a guy i want immersion of the hero . Thank's interceptor for your first game
  33. Aug 1, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.