6.8

1. Jul 12, 2014
    A nice throwback to the glory days of the FPS. Nice graphics, fast frantic gameplay, good soundtrack and attitude, what more could you ask for? Sis I mention that it's on sale via Steam right now for $2.99 USD ?!?!?! I see a lot of people crying about performance issues... all seem to be running AMD based rigs.... the truth is you get what you pay for. You can't really buy budget gear and expect top shelf performance.

I am running intel i7 and nvidia, no performance problems here... never are.

If you like the old school FPS scene, and would like some of that feel with modern graphics, this game is for you!

And just remember, intel/nvidia rules supreme in terms of performance and general compatibility, even if you have to go with gear that is a generation or two older, or used... it's still a better investment then going with AMD.. in my humble opinion.
  2. Jul 3, 2014
    I would not do this ever but i have to do it.

It's been almost a year now and they still have not patched this HORRIBLE performance issue. I re-installed this game to see if it finally would work without me having to manually mess with the .ini files to get good performance but no. I dropped everything to Low on that game launcher and it did just as terribly as if i had the settings on
    Ludicrious. I cannot beleive this and that is why i quit and uninstalled it. Rise of the Triad is exaclty the kind of game i would want, but i cannot beleive how they don't bother to freakin fix the game. it's great how we have lierally zero Arcade FPS nowadays, and this one that is actually Arcade FPS, wont be fixed. I cannot do anything else but give a zero to this game because i am so furious right now. Expand
  3. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fun at times, simply because it's old-school feeling and royalty to it's own roots. Yet, the game is poorly optimized, and there are some design faults which take away a huge chunk of your pleasure. Shame, this could have been a classic.

Still, I say it's a solid FPS with 6.5/10 score. Much better than many other FPS games out there.
  4. May 22, 2014
    This "remake" gets one and one point only. Just for the awesome Soundtrack! The rest is: Bad. Just plain bad! RotT wants to delude you into believing its some kind of fast paced twitchy shooter, capturing the feel of the "good old 90's-Shooters". But it's not. It's more of a try and error death-maze with edges and trip-hazards waiting for you at every corner. Could sound like some challenging experience, but you already know how much fun jumping puzzles in an egoshooter are? exactly: No fun at all.

So, every speed and "fast paced gunplay" that wants to be build up, is instantly squashed by annoying traps that you can't avoid through skill and will run inevitably into.
    Did I mention corners and little bumps that stop your run?

And don't forget mandatory bugs and crashes!

But the Multiplayer-matches have to be fun, don't they?
    They could be, when you would be allowed to host and join a simple match!
    Steam -> Rightklick -> Join?
    Wrong!
    You must use an external RotT-Server-Tool and HOPE there will be something like a connetion (WHY?! The Hell WHY?)!
    Get used to the "ludicrous lag ahead"-Screen.

Try "Brutal Doom" or "Shadow Warrior" instead!
  5. May 12, 2014
    Together with bringing nostalgia to those who grew up with it, this game reminds us many of the flaws of the old RotT and other old FPS.
    For example, its a first person shooter with platforming, and not the great Mirror's Edge kind of platforming, this is the **** kind of platforming.
    Another annoyance is that sometimes enemies blend in with the background and its not easy to notice them
    before they shoot you and maybe kill you, which isn't a good thing for this kind of game.
    Also there is no quick saving and there are some performance issues.

Its a great game, and its hard, fans of the original will enjoy this one, everyone else will have frustrating moments but you might still enjoy it, especially if you're tired of the casual games or especially the casual shooters that pretend to be hardcore and fail at being either. At least it never gets boring.
  6. Feb 7, 2014
    The only thing that i loved about this was the nostalgic fast gameplay of 90s shooters. Having performance issues and bugs. Single players difficulty is definitely overkilled, even easy seemed hard. AI simply aimbots you from every corner. And its quite difficult to realize where the shots actually come from. And the later levels also seemed kinda rushed or lazy. Multiplayer was okay. I wouldnt be hard with it if its on Beta state. But full release? Do not rush & stick more to the original chemistry. To be fair its a bit better than some big title remakes. Expand
  7. Jan 25, 2014
    Old Gameplay and i love it !!! i need just most quotes of the hero when he kill a guy i want immersion of the hero . Thank's interceptor for your first game
  8. Jan 12, 2014
    I cannot call this a remake. It's almost an insult to call it a reboot. I don't know what else to call it, other than severely disappointing.

From what I can tell, this game was not a "labor of love" so much as a quick way to cash in on nostalgia. They tried to modernize a game that needed no modernization to be fun and it turns out to just be a garbled mess of modern physics and
    classic callbacks. And that formula just does not work, in my opinion.

The redone levels -- of which several are missing -- don't seem all that interesting to me in the slightest. They only bear a passing resemblance to their MS-DOS counterparts and all the added areas and content really adds nothing to the experience. You could argue that if the original map designers had a more powerful engine to work with (such as Doom's engine or the later Build engine), they would have made more intricate levels with even more craziness, but they didn't. And they happily worked with what they had, ending up with some absolutely fantastic levels! But that goes right out the bloody window with this remake. It's all about hopping over pits and traps now, or running through catwalks. It's prettier, sure, but it's also far less interesting somehow.

The graphic style for this game seems... questionable, at best. Some of the textures seem a bit generic. The original game had a lot of repeated textures, but you never really got tired of seeing them because they were used in a variety of ways. Here, it's just like... "Here's a cave level. Here's a warehouse. Here's an active volcano." It's a modern gaming convention sure, but that's not how the original did it, technical limitations or not. And it worked very well in the original.

The gameplay isn't all that impressive, either. We've seen games where you hop around like a maniac and shoot rockets at things until they die. We old-school gamers called that "Doom". While there were a number of enemies in any given Rise of the Triad level, in this remake, it seems like they just throw wave after wave at you in the action sections of levels, not really caring about the placement too much. A YouTuber said "it's non-stop action". The original at least gave you the chance to catch your breath.
    The original also had better sense about weapon placement. Given that this is an "old-school-style shooter", you'd think they'd make you hunt down weapons and think about ammo conservation. But no. If what said the YouTuber said is true, if you need a rocket launcher, there's probably one not five steps back from your current location.

And now on to what I really wanted to talk about... the thing that upset me the most out of everything... The music.
    The original soundtrack is something I greatly enjoyed from the original. Here, however... Every single track is utter garbage. They had a perfectly good soundtrack they could have just redone to fit the given styles. But no. Instead, it's thunderous electric guitars everywhere you turn! Every song in this game has them. Every song! Even Adagio for Strings and Mist Ache! How?!
    The arrangement of every piece of music is also poorly done. All my favorites, "Adagio for Strings", "CCCool", "Goin' Down the Fast Way"... terrible! Absolutely terrible! There may be an option to change to the original soundtrack, but why did they bother? The original soundtrack doesn't work with what they've done at all!

This absolutely does not feel like Rise of the Triad to me. It's almost a hollow parody... Clearly, they were going for "darker and edgier" here and while they succeeded in both aspects, it also loses pretty much all of what made the original game fun: Great music, curious weapons of mass destruction, simple level design with complex secrets, and above all, humor and inside jokes! The YouTuber I mentioned said this game has humor, but I sincerely failed to see the humor in sub-bosses named after body parts and innuendo. That's the extent of the humor, by the way. I did not see even the slightest sign of any of the inside jokes from the original game. At all.

I were to give the game some credit, I guess I'd have to say they did some mildly interesting stuff with the source material. Complete redesigns of weapons, characters, and levels make this game completely detached from the original. Some would say that's a great thing. I personally don't.

As I said at the start, I just cannot call this game anything other than disappointing. There was so much potential, but it was utterly wasted here. At every single opportunity.
  9. QOO
    Nov 16, 2013
    Rise of The Triad is a very broken game, but it has some fun included in it. It's pretty mixed, so I'll give my two cents. Pros: Fun, fast gameplay. Neat level design Cool weapons, like the Firebomb Great remastered soundtrack Quicksaves, finally. Cons: Multiplayer is empty. And I mean empty. Multiplayer also feels kinda tacked on. Performance issues. even with the patches, game is still laggy.
    A.I is dumb as bricks.
    Enemies blend in with the backgrounds, making it annoying to kill them.
    SP and MP both horribly unbalanced.
    Final boss battle glitches too often, makes the game almost unbeatable.

Overall, this game can be fun, but there are so many poor design choices, which you'll see. It makes me wonder sometimes, how some things could be screwed up so badly. Wait for a sale on this one.
  10. Oct 30, 2013
    I don't get this game. The graphics are terrible and it gives me a headache. Performance is terrible it can go from 90fps to 30fps from one room to the next. I got this game on sale thinking it would be mindless fun but its just poorly developed trash. GJ DEVS
  11. Oct 15, 2013
    If you're looking for an extremely fun and simple old school shoot 'em up game with little to no flaws, you've found it. Rise of the Triad has good looking visuals and on top of that, a detailed gore system that a lot of combat games seem to be missing nowadays. It features some of the best music that I've ever heard in a video game and the sound design isn't that bad at all either. Game play is what's truly spot on in this game, though. It's simple and best kept that way for Rise of the Triad. It's supposed to be arcadey and fun instead of including dozen of complex and unnecessary functions that only piss you off when you're trying to get things done.

If you loved games such as Wolf 3D and Doom, maybe feel a little nostalgic, I'd suggest you pick this game up. It's only 13€ and features a lot of bang for your buck.
  12. Oct 15, 2013
    Simply put, a team of dudes with a dream were able to push out a better product than Duke Nukem Forever, that actually captures the sugar-high rush of ADHD and the 90's, while remaining fun to play and tasteful.

Simply put, it's a must buy for the price...
    If you don't like the game, at least support the developers who poured their souls into the game.
  13. Oct 15, 2013
    If you are a "CoD-mLg-SOBudGET=quality" kindeh' guy, don't get this. You'd hate it. You think graphics and story really matter in this.

If you are a Doom-loving Quake's great kindeh' guy, buy the hell out of this game. Rise of the Triad feels like a 90's FPS, a lot like Quake. I'm giving a 9, because Interceptor hasn't been too quick on fixing the games performance, so, you might want
    to wait on getting this, it's hell on AMD chipsets. Expand
  14. Oct 14, 2013
    This is a game for masochists only. It is so frustrating because of the hyper-sensitive controls and retarded platforming. You're expected to jump onto moving platforms at Quake III speeds and if you miss judge the landing by one pixel you fall into lava and die. You than have to restart at a ridiculously far back starting point because the checkpoints are really far apart.
    This game
    would be fun if their was actual shooting in it. There is more jumping and platforming than shooting. Also, the explosions from your own weapons are more likely to kill you than from enemy fire because the blast radius is ridiculous, especially since most fighting is done in small spaces.
    This game is all the reasons I hated old school shooters no shooting, only crappy frustrating platforming and dumb level design.
  15. Oct 7, 2013
    Okay, originally the performance was bad but they did a patch soon after release to adjust this. It's a modern rehash of an oldschool FPS. The level design is okay and the graphics are fairly good. They made some good changes to weapons but I got a little irritated with the checkpoint system.
  16. Oct 3, 2013
    This single player of this game is frustrating more than anything, and mostly because of the checkpoint system. It is also very hard to tell where you are getting shot from, and the damage indicator is not always pointed in the right direction. This is basic stuff that should have been fixed in testing. This game is nearly impossible and one of the most frustrating games I've ever played on the hardest difficulty, not because of the fps skill that it involves, but because of the memorization involved in learning the positions of enemies and traps in the huge areas between checkpoints.

This game definitely does have style, and the gameplay is similar to Serious Sam, but without the balance. Stuff like mowing down enemies with the smg and having their body parts go all over the floor is something I would love to see in more games. It's too bad this game could not fix the easily-fixable major problems it has that make it nearly unplayable.

Also, the multiplayer seems fun, with Unreal Tournament style arena shooter gameplay, but too bad there's no one online, ever.
  17. Sep 27, 2013
    A>M>A>Z>I>N>G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Sep 15, 2013
    EDIT: Now that patch 1.1 is out, the game is perfectly playable (although I can't speak for everyone). Make sure to remove your previous .INI file in "...(backslash)Documents(backslash)my games(backslash)Rise Of The Triad" and restart your PC.

Unfortunately, the launch has been a bit rocky with various technical issues (for example, I can't change the graphical settings, music volume is
    very low and steam integration doesn't work, which means no achievements). So I won't lie and say my experience has been perfectly flawless.
    What is under all the temporary problems is a damn good game that fulfills its goals almost perfectly. This is as good as old-school fps remakes get, really.

You might think that Serious Sam is THE old-school experience to date, but it does not properly feature the level design, gameplay, Enemy AI and etc. that lovers of the old school FPS's are so familiar with. Rise of the Triad does. (I'm not saying Serious Sam sucks, It is indeed awesome)
    This game hasn't even begun to show its promises yet, with level editors and future updates on the horizon.
    The little multiplayer that I have played is really fun, but as of now, I can't say too much about it. It is pretty much what you'd expect. If you're looking for a great multiplayer twitch shooter, look no further.

So in conclusion, It's a great old-school shooter with a fresh coat of painting including satisfying gameplay both in multiplayer and singleplayer that is very worthy for its low price tag. Go get it! (Even if only to hear and see the Apogee logo again)
  19. Sep 13, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game, I really did. I played the original many years ago when it used the Build engine and loved it. However, this remake is just downright disappointing at best. AI? what AI? Graphics are average and poorly optimized. How about game play? lets begin with controls: sloppy, movement is absolutely appalling, hit detection from enemies is nothing but confusing. Level design: thoughtless, generic and plain boring. I like the trend of bringing back old school classics with updated graphics but this one is a total miss and mess. Expand
  20. Sep 11, 2013
    A solid old school shooter. Jump pads, insane weapons, and secrets. The developer tediously works on maintaining the feel of the original, while giving it a modern look. Give this game a chance, you will scream, "WHAT YEAR IS IT?" when a rocket hits a triad and gibs fly in every direction. Plus, dog mode, yes you can play as a dog once you pick up the power up. All while a booming soundtrack of cheesy and modern metalness thumps in the background Expand
  21. Sep 11, 2013
    Fantastic game full of throwbacks to the original, as well as a solid gameplay experience, in single and multiplayer. Unfortunately not getting as much attention as it should in the current state of the market, full of tactical cover shooter "Skinner Box" games.
  22. Sep 1, 2013
    I've been playing PC games for some 20+ years now, and I have played through the entire gamut of old school games, so you could probably imagine how overjoyed I was when I saw ROTT was being rebooted... But this feeling of ecstasy and excitement were soon dashed as soon as I started playing this miserable of a game.

It seems the common thing to do these days is to reboot an old school
    franchise, like the did with Duke3D. What a travesty that was... and the reboot of ROTT is no different. In fact, I dare say it is worse.

Where to begin?... The graphics are utterly foul. It feels like my graphics card is throwing up on me, and its insulting my monitor. I get that they wanted the whole "nostalgia" feel, but the game genuinely looks god awful and has a seriously unfinished feel to it. It is also plagued with clipping problems. In many instances my character became stuck in a wall or part of the map and I had to reset the level. But that's just the beginning.

The game play is an affront to what brain cells I have left after playing this piece of as the graphics are to my poor eyes. I don't think I have experienced such mind-numbingly boring game-play in the last fifteen years of my life. You literally go through the levels with no sense of purpose at all, travel in uninspired environments, shoot at uninspired enemies and avoid uninspired pitfalls, all while running at approximately mach 4.

Maybe the weapons, then, will save ROTT? Unfortunately not I'm afraid. The weapons are also dreadfully boring and took little to no imagination at all to come up with. You have 4 choices: (1) a pistol, (2) two pistols, (3) a machine gun or (4) some form of a rocket launcher. The pistols and machine gun have infinite ammo, but for some reason have a reload option that serves no purpose, to my knowledge anyhow.

Lastly, the challenges one will face in this game have 2 levels of difficulty. Either the challenge will be easy as or hard as There is no middle ground. And the frustration level is through the roof in many situations, especially when a player is expected to perform tedious platform maneuvering all while dashing around like a rabid squirrel on cocaine.

It simply staggering how bad this game is. They had a great idea to work from, but someone they ****ed it up. The bottom line is this: it seems the developers of this game were just a bunch of lazy windowlickers that thought they could try their hand at making a game.

If this is the result of resurrecting Apogee as a company, I say put it back in the ground and let it rest in piece. And, on a personal note to the developers of this travesty of a game, shame on you.
  23. Aug 25, 2013
    I would give the game 4 as the game delivers a rott remake experience, but the amount of bugs, and clearly rushed /incompetent work put into the game unfortunately make the game a bad experience.
    if it was completely bugfree i would rate it a 8
  24. Aug 19, 2013
    The producers claim they remained true to the original ROTT. I think they used that as an excuse to be lazy in parts of the development. This is especially true in the sound effects and voice overs. The sounds do not carry from a distance like they should. And the voiceovers sound like they were recorded when the actors were sleepy phoned in. Plus the volume of the voiceovers is all the way up and still impossible to hear. I know, just turn them off. Well it's still a game that feels like a bunch of high schoolers got together and threw in anything that the ninth graders among them laughed at. SAD! Expand
  25. Aug 18, 2013
    Absolutely awesome! Rise of The Triad (ROTT) is an updated Quake/Arena style shooter, bringing the original '94 ROTT game as well as old school Quake style shooters back into gamers' hands. The game retails for $14.99 which in this opinion is a bit under-priced. The folks at Apogee have created an extremely *fun* shooter that embodies a lot of what the modern shooters no longer have, namely: wackiness, imagination, ludicrous gibs and a lots and lots of speed. The current best selling shooters are all about trying to create a sense of realism, they try to put you on the battlefield, and while they are clearly still tops, ROTT is not trying to copy that model, and Apogee never said that they were. Instead they have created a fast paced and unrealistic (haha it is powered by Unreal 3 after all) shooter that is incredibly enjoyable to play. I am giving it 9/10 due to its one minor flaw, the inability to save when desired, as the current check-point system does not work well with game, and was not a part of the original.

If you are looking for an extremely fun, fast paced shooter, you can't go wrong with this game and should buy it. If you are looking for another battlefield simulator, you also should buy it so you can see what another shooter is like. Once you get used to it, you won't be disappointed.
  26. Aug 18, 2013
    The old school fps with tons of adrenaline. He brings me in times, when even in single player you was needs to rocketjumping all the time and show much skill, when you need trying to kill the boss 10-15 times and wasting around hour to kill him and this is awesome!
  27. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is old school shooter. So if you like current shooters don't expect all current stuff that are put in games (skills, hacking, sneaking, complex story). All game you gonna run and shoot that's all well maybe jump sometimes.

The game looks like it was made for 2009 year market. The graphics are bad and texture quality are even worse. The game runs bad, because it was poorly
    optimized.

If you want fast paced shooter this game is for you if you want complex shooter go play Call Of Duty.
  28. Aug 17, 2013
    Amazing nostalgia trip. The levels are challenging and really keep you glued to the game. The multiplayer is insanely fast paced and tons of fun. This remake is just as crazy as the original. If you are a fan of first person shooters you will not be disappointed with Rise of the Triad.
  29. Aug 17, 2013
    Game is unplayable and unenjoyable. Multiplayer is a complete waste of time. Level design is insipid and uninspired. Developers appear to be 15 year olds. Save your money.
  30. Aug 17, 2013
    Terrible game. Bad performance issues, poor English grammar, unmemorable maps, terrible multi-player. Not even worth the $15. Avoid this steaming pile of cow manure. There are better games out there.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.