6.8

1. Oct 30, 2013
    I don't get this game. The graphics are terrible and it gives me a headache. Performance is terrible it can go from 90fps to 30fps from one room to the next. I got this game on sale thinking it would be mindless fun but its just poorly developed trash. GJ DEVS
  2. Jul 31, 2013
    Going to visit my dad every year for the holidays ROTT was the game I would play on my dads old Win 95 PC Now here we are in 2013 and they have brought back that same feeling I had back then only in HD All I have to say is for 15$ this is a great game
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    This is an amazing game. And I have to specify the fact that this is a VIDEO GAME. Not some "interactive movie" that you spend 50 bucks on, not a "cinematic experience" with scripted events and quicktime events every 30 seconds, THIS IS A GAME!
    You actually feel like playing levels. There's a ton of secrets and short cuts, there's collectibles like coins, there's all sorts of crazy
    weapons. Not only that, but it's actually a fair challenge. And it actually has some replayability unlike today's "movie games".
    What's great about this game is that although this is a remake, it features updated shooter mechanics which make this game actually play differently. The Unreal Engine also makes this game look better than most triple A games now a days. And all of that for 15 bucks. Not to mention that there's also multiplayer.

There's still some bugs and glitches here and there but for the price you're paying, you're getting more than a complete package. If you want to actually have a fun time while playing a game, pick this one up immediately.
  4. Aug 1, 2013
    Rise of the Triad is a revamped, old-style shooter that doesn't try to be like the newer games. It recaptures the feel of old school shooters while adding little features and twists that improve on the old without losing the spirit. It feels more like Wolfenstein and Doom than their own sequels. Keep in mind that it's an arcadish shooter with some tongue-in-cheek humor and over-the-top everything, not a serious, realistic one. It plays and displays smoothly. All in all, it's a fun game to add to a shooter lover's collection. Expand
  5. Jul 31, 2013
    Makes me feel like a little kid again, when I played Wolf3D, Blake Stone, ROTT and DooM. :)
    Ofcourse this game isn't perfect, and it's likely the CoD generation doesn't like it.
    But for oldschool shooter lovers, I can highly recommend it. Especially seeing it's low pricepoint.
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is awesome. On release it has a few bugs and is lacking a few features you'd expect in multiplayer but it's super fast paced, the single player campaign is fun and ridiculous and it's full of nostalgia. Awesome job Interceptor & Apogee.
  7. Aug 2, 2013
    The devs promised a patch to fix the performance... 1.0.1 was patched to remove the developer debug commands (yes) and getting LAN (a selling point, according to them) to actually work. This is what we get for forking out our money. Now they are saying it might be another 5 weeks to patch it in. Sorry, but I'm not going to waste my time with your piss poor game. Don't lie to us and tell us the game runs 120fps, dont lie and say you can make your own weapons, don't lie and say weapon fov can be adjusted, don't lie and say your first patch will fix our major problems, when all you did was remove the debug commands. I mean REALLY? they claimed to be optimising the game and polishing it for months, this is the result of all their hard work? Boy, I can't wait to see what they have left in store! /sarcasm Even one of the developers commented on forum 'WE'RE SORRY GUYS, WE THOUGHT YOU WOULD LOVE IT!" meaning this is their best work. Nope, cash grab, cash grab, cash grab. You have my money, you're probably laughing, but I hope you choke on it, because I'm never buying one of your games ever again. Even if it's free, I don't want your stinking trash on my computer. Game died in 1 day, not even 500 people playing compared to 2000 on day one. R.I.P. ROTT IN PIECES. OH THE PUNS Expand
  8. Oct 7, 2013
    Okay, originally the performance was bad but they did a patch soon after release to adjust this. It's a modern rehash of an oldschool FPS. The level design is okay and the graphics are fairly good. They made some good changes to weapons but I got a little irritated with the checkpoint system.
  9. Aug 6, 2013
    A lot of people won't enjoy this game because of its lack of similarities to call of duty, like its fast-paced gameplay, its abundance of secrets, the craziness of its weapons and powerups, and so on.
    It can play well on outdated hardware, but to max it out you need to have a very high-end computer, so don't be upset your 760gtx can't get 60fps on ultra, be happy your 460gtx can get 30 on medium.
  10. Aug 1, 2013
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD:
    Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons
    of graphics options.

THE BAD:
    No manual saving. Poor A.I. that doesn't always react to your presence. Small enemies that blend in too well with the environments. Widespread performance issues (frame rate drops and stuttering). Mouse smoothing that can't be disabled through the menus (plus when it's disabled via config edits, the movement still doesn't feel quite right).

OVERALL:
    A fun game that stays true to the original in many ways but also lacks polish. It's fast, furious, and challenging, but makes one wonder just how great it could have been had the developers spent more time optimizing the performance and kept a classic "save anywhere, anytime" system. Thankfully, for $15 it isn't much of a gamble and if you're a fan of shooters from the "good old days," go for it. Just expect your moments of glee to occasionally be interrupted by those of disappointment or thoughts of "what could have been."
  11. Aug 11, 2013
    Most of the low reviews come from people being frustrated with performance issues. I haven't had any such issues, but I can confirm that this game is indeed excellent and I am so glad I picked it up.
  12. Aug 4, 2013
    Runs poorly on a computer that can run Black Ops 2 and Crysis 3 at high settings with no problem? Check. Constant clipping issues? Check. Bugs? Check. Graphics circa 2003 first person shooters? Check. Floaty controls? Check. Please ignore those 10/10 reviews as those people are either insane or have never played a decent fps, this game is BAD. I liked the original game but this feels like a cheap attempt at a revival of the franchise. If you are looking to play an fps that will give you that "classic" feel go play "Painkiller" or "Serious Sam" and avoid this.. Expand
  13. Aug 8, 2013
    ROTT is a mixed bag. It's fast. It's frantic. It's fun. At first. Then you start dying a lot. In the beginning you'll experience wanting to play "just one more section", but an hour or two later you'll start hating it. Why? One reason, it's really crappy game saving system. No F5, no F9, only automatic save checkpoints which are torturously far apart. So, you'll be replaying the same levels and sections again and again. And again. Finding the same secrets, same enemies, same puzzles, same coins over and over again. That isn't fun, it's frustrating and the lack of being able to save your game spoils what could otherwise be a fun game. You have been warned. Expand
  14. Aug 18, 2013
    The old school fps with tons of adrenaline. He brings me in times, when even in single player you was needs to rocketjumping all the time and show much skill, when you need trying to kill the boss 10-15 times and wasting around hour to kill him and this is awesome!
  15. Aug 2, 2013
    I don't right reviews often, but games like this ROTT remake really piss me off. Especially when I see dozens of 10/10 and 9/10 reviews. It smells funny. First let me just say that I grew up original ROTT as well as many other oldschool FPS (wolfenstein, doom, doom 2, quake) so I get what they were going for. I gave the game 4 not a 0, virtually no game deserves a 0. The gore is pretty entertaining and levels have lots of secrets which is nice. However, the game, as it stands, is unplayable. You constantly get caught on the map in both singleplayer and multipalyer, lots of clipping, just downright poor graphics (dont gimme that oldschool crap, it can still look polished, I mean honestly the game is UGLY). Also, it crashes constantly, at least for me (others report this as well) and stutters, skips and lags (do you really have to ask? I'm a gamer writing reviews on metacritic, of course I have a kickass rig). The game feels lazy, like it was thrown together by a bunch of stoners who may have had a few good ideas but were too unmotivated to put the time or work into the game. I'd say this was just a cash grab for people of my generation who had fond memories of the shocking brutality of the first game. Expand
  16. Aug 2, 2013
    Where do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump in about 5 times now from different angles and nothing works, I just keep sliding into the lava. To make it even more annoying, you have to do the whole level again up to that point if you're that one pixel off. Still haven't gotten past it and I feel like it's such a waste of my time trying to do this one jump that should be so simple. In most cases during the game so far, about half the time I don't feel like it's my fault for dieing. The vast majority of the weapons are rocket launchers of some sort and all the objects, pillars and railings have hit barriers larger than you would think, so getting damaged by your own weapons happens all the friggin time. Much of the time the damage that traps do to you is extremely inconsistent. One time I got blasted by fire dead on and it only did like 20 damage. Another time I barely touched the edge of the fire and I practically exploded at full health. That's just scratching the surface but when the game decides to stop being unfair, it can be fun. The shooting for the most part is satisfying and the humor at some parts has made me laugh out loud. Expand
  17. Aug 17, 2013
    Terrible game. Bad performance issues, poor English grammar, unmemorable maps, terrible multi-player. Not even worth the $15. Avoid this steaming pile of cow manure. There are better games out there.
  18. Aug 17, 2013
    Game is unplayable and unenjoyable. Multiplayer is a complete waste of time. Level design is insipid and uninspired. Developers appear to be 15 year olds. Save your money.
  19. Jul 31, 2013
    Launch day Video issues are a common thing now a days...My 6990 has a few problems getting 60...But turning off a few things and it works great. This Game is nuts! AND the first game i think since 2002 to have DIRECT IP CONNECTION FOR MP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME. WHen you log in (Gog and steam MP servers for all) It says welcome to the master race!
  20. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of the most ridiculous games you will ever play, which is why this game is so darn good. If you want to play an FPS present day graphics and old school gameplay, Rise of the Triad is the game for you. There's not many games that bring this much joy to a gamer like me. This one, however, manages to make me smile as soon as I start playing. In addition, it's dirt cheap, so there's no need to even think about it just buy it! I hope this game one day goes to other platforms so that other folks can experience this masterpiece for the master race. Expand
  21. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fun at times, simply because it's old-school feeling and royalty to it's own roots. Yet, the game is poorly optimized, and there are some design faults which take away a huge chunk of your pleasure. Shame, this could have been a classic.

Still, I say it's a solid FPS with 6.5/10 score. Much better than many other FPS games out there.
  22. Aug 6, 2013
    Definite optimization issues on varied pc with different configurations and lack of servers is an issue as well. Over all its worth the 15 dollars. Let's hope the devs keep rolling out patches.
  23. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is old school shooter. So if you like current shooters don't expect all current stuff that are put in games (skills, hacking, sneaking, complex story). All game you gonna run and shoot that's all well maybe jump sometimes.

The game looks like it was made for 2009 year market. The graphics are bad and texture quality are even worse. The game runs bad, because it was poorly
    optimized.

If you want fast paced shooter this game is for you if you want complex shooter go play Call Of Duty.
  24. Jul 31, 2013
    Truly an Ode to old school shooting. If you were looking for a more complicated game then your out of luck. With almost no bugs to speak of and a very cheap price, Rise of the Triad will bring you hours of fun and numerous challenges. While some may find the difficulty deterring, the truly hardcore gamer will love what makes this game hard. With a level creator and tons of future mods, this game will go far. Good job Interceptor, you've stayed to the roots and made a great debut. Expand
  25. Aug 2, 2013
    WOW this takes me back, to when life was simple and all I had was a PC, me and my brother had intel 286's (WHAT!) and networked to play till he had to go to school and I had to go to work. This is how games should be, not too serious and fun to play, hope they do some of their other titles and what price too. WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT WOOOHOOO.
  26. Jul 31, 2013
    Interceptor Software was given the go ahead by Apogee to bring their 1990's cult FPS classic, Rise of the Triad, back onto the scene with a new Unreal Engine based re-imagining. Released today via Steam, RoTT is as ludicrous as ever, but it's not without several caveats and it remains an acquired taste...kind of like Monk Meal.

In pretty much every way that matters, this reboot/remake
    is a 90s shooter with all the expected pros and cons. It’s lightning fast, and 90% of your arsenal is pinpoint-precise. Realism is thrown out the window, so levels are less “brown corridors” and more “big rooms full of spinning blades of death rolling past collectible coins”, or “tiny platforms floating above giant lava rivers”, or “ascent up a pair of physically impossible towers”, or “pedestals containing heavy weapons that rise out of reach when you approach, as secret walls open and enemies attack.” Or all of the above, on the same map.

Before you buy your copy of Rise of the Triad and you should you need to first ask yourself how easily you can live without gradual healing. Or cover mechanics. Or auto-aim. Or a HUD. If these things are to your FPS enjoyment what water is to not dying from thirst, then Rise of the Triad is going to destroy you. As difficult as trying to explain the popularity of Stone Temple Pilots hard. Rise of the Triad requires a lot of patience to complete, and that’s by design. In fact, Interceptor CEO Fred Schreiber said during a multiplayer session that the gaming system he keeps coming back to (besides PC, he was quick to make clear) is the NES, precisely because NES games can be so difficult to complete.

From start to finish, Rise of the Triad is obstinately dedicated to being as difficult as possible. Enemies are pattern-based. In-game interactive elements are difficult to precisely interact with. You have to find health when you get damaged, and you take damage excessively. Checkpoints are absolutely brutal make it to one and you’ll still find yourself grinding through waves of enemies again and again, often making it nearly to the end of a segment, and having to do it all over again when you’re blown up by your own missile.

But it’s hard to dislike Rise of the Triad for this sort of thing, because– no, I take that back. It’s very, very easy to get massively frustrated with Rise of the Triad and quit out of it because of this sort of thing, but the frustrations are somewhat forgiven when you wander into basically anything else. This is a game that makes shooting feel good, and it has enough heavy weaponry and things to shoot with that heavy weaponry that you’re doing stuff that feels good pretty much 90% of the time.

The single player campaign is much like the original game’s (and many shooters from that era) in that it functions largely as a chance to practice for the multiplayer. The plot is simple: A UN special ops team called H.U.N.T. is sent to San Nicholas Island (part of California’s Channel Islands) to investigate a strange cult based there. The team is attacked, their landing craft destroyed, and they must now fight their way through the cult’s labyrinthine fortresses and stop them before they execute their plan to blow up Los Angeles

Multiplayer is a scream. At launch, it has Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag modes, and more are promised. Interceptor is providing dedicated servers, but the game also allows LAN, Direct IP and player-hosted games as well. That’s good, because you’ll need to practice with friends a lot before testing your mettle against strangers who will almost certainly destroy you.

If you have played the original ROTT, and were a fan, you will be astounded how “extremely faithful” this reboot really is. While Interceptor has certainly added new elements to the game and created something pretty unique, they do this with so much reverence and respect to the original, you sometimes have to remind yourself you aren’t actually playing the 1993 classic. Every little detail is replicated and recreated here: the hovering discs, the coins, the injured enemies begging for mercy it’s quite incredible how seamlessly Interceptor has merged the old and the new to create what can simply be described as a reboot masterpiece.
    It was a real pleasure to play (replay) Rise of the Triad, and Interceptor deserves every bit of credit they get for rebooting an all-time classic in the FPS genre.
  27. Jul 31, 2013
    As a remake of the spiritual sequel to the grandfather of shooters, I expected to be thrown back with old school style gameplay and level design. It definitely doesn't disappoint with that the levels have a ton of secrets, branching paths, keys for doors halfway across the map, and a lot of gameplay choices that died out since the 90s for example, reloading literally does nothing, and was just included for kicks. Ironsights were also thrown in, but outside of singleplayer you'll get destroyed if you use them. Multiplayer is a rocketfest, which can be frustrating at times, but once you learn your way around that's when it gets fun. The devs are the best part of the game, honestly there's lots of jokes thrown in, like the AI telling you to stick with a controller and text-to-speech in multiplayer (John Madden! John Madden!). However, it is a bit buggy on launch day, as I found myself getting stuck in walls a lot in singleplayer. I also can't really see a competitive future. But for what it is and what it tries to be, it's perfect. Expand
  28. Jul 31, 2013
    Okay, so, this game is a must get. For 15 bucks, it's more than worth its value. There's secrets on every level, an amazing comic book intro, fun boss fights, and a kick-ass arsenal of weaponry. This is truly a FPS we've been waiting for, and personally one of the better games of 2013. With such a low price, how the bloody hell could you refuse this ludicrous, bloody game? It runs very smoothly on machines, and it well optimized. It can run on lower hardware, but can still look stunning graphically.

The game-play is amazing. Classic FPS at its best. I felt like I was playing Quake or Doom once again.

But sadly this game DOES come with some bugs Rocket-jumping at certain areas will make you fall out of the map and die but I am sure it will e patched later on. Its usually not buggy or game breaking.

Overall, this game is great. Pick it up or be ashamed. Do NOT pirate this masterpiece of a game. The developers more than deserve the money Plus its only 15 bucks! Interceptor Entertainment has proven they are worthy of being in the game industry.

This game WILL bury you in a lunch box.
  29. Aug 1, 2013
    Fantastic single player action, excellent visuals, heaps of secrets and bonuses to keep you coming back not to mention different character strengths and weaknesses, allowing great replay value and very fast paced multiplayer action reminiscent of quake 3 team arena and with the UDK on the way you can be assured there will be many mods to come. All in all a very old skool 90s gaming experience and for the asking price you will be getting your moneys worth. Expand
  30. Aug 1, 2013
    Oh my god. I never played the original but this game is awesome. In the time of CoD clones this game stands out. Everybody who like shooter should have played it once. Just 14$ better than a Black Ops 2 DLC

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.